Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Biggest Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Fashion Cares gets a thrilling makeover
Topic Started: Feb 12 2009, 11:23 PM (60 Views)
Warren
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Fashion Cares gets a thrilling makeover

Leave it to Alfred Hitchcock to bring something back from the dead.

Publishing impresario Michael King is channelling the master of suspense to resuscitate Fashion Cares, the annual AIDS fundraiser, widely proclaimed a disaster last year by Toronto's top style setters.

King, the new chairperson of Fashion Cares charged with damage control, has already lured back a key ally, signed a major European designer to showcase an exclusive collection, moved the event from spring to fall so it coincides with Halloween and dubbed it "Fashion sCares." Enter Hitchcock.

In Vienna taking notes from the opulent Life Ball, King told the Star that the Toronto event will be themed around five or six of the director's signature thrillers.

"For example," he said, "The Birds will be feathers and a whole lot of craziness. It will be a celebration of incredible fashion and we've got a very exciting guest – a fashion designer coming in from Europe for the night. They're designing a whole line around one particular Hitchcock film."

Fashion insiders are speculating the headliner will be Thierry Mugler, the French designer who re-defined sexiness during the 1980s with his eroticized cuts. King would only confirm that the designer in question mastered "'80s glam."

The co-founder of Kontent, which publishes oversized glossy fashion magazines, King recently sold his interest in the group and is looking at his latest venture with Fashion Cares through an unfiltered lens.

He's quite open about the event's shortcomings last year at the Distillery District – disorganized volunteers, an amateurish production, ridiculous drinking restrictions for guests who could not venture outside a small licensed area with martini in hand.

"As you know, a lot of people were upset and confirmed that the fashion had been lost," King said.

"This event now has to compete with well-intentioned people who are fighting for the same charitable dollar. At the end of the day, either reduce the cost of the event or increase the excitement."

King is focusing on the latter. A huge coup this year is the return of Phillip Ing, the artistic director responsible for most of the visionary shows staged throughout Fashion Cares' 21-year history, which has raised more than $10 million for the AIDS Committee of Toronto. Ing stepped down from his role last year for reasons unclear. He was not available for comment.

Also back by popular demand – "there's not many venues, unfortunately, in Toronto that can accommodate 1,200 people for dinner," King said – is the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

The Distillery District's cobblestone walkways last year destroyed one too many stilettos.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · Post Archives · Next Topic »
Add Reply