Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
JavaScript Free Code
Welcome to the Aquaventures forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Aquaventures is a fish-keeping forum geared to all different kinds of hobbyists. Whether your just starting out, or your an accomplished aquarist, we're sure you'll find yourself at home here. We have a montly POTM with prize, lots of active members, a buy & sell section, and lots more.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as:

• Posting in and creating new threads
• Customizing your profile
• Sending private messages
• Posting photos
• Voting in Polls
• Participate in various contests

Registration is fast, simple, and 100% FREE. So what are you waiting for?

Join Aquaventures Today!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Photobucket
55 gallon reef plan with some questions; EDITED FOR 55 GALLON REFERENCE.
Topic Started: Sep 8 2009, 11:48 PM (740 Views)
Will
Member Avatar
MeAtSpInNiNg ByOtCh
I've looked for new inspiration, and decided I REALLY want to do a reef, but I have some questions regarding what I made:

TANK AND ACCESSORIES
55 gallon aquarium, standard dimensions (48x13x19")
850gph powerhead
250 watt heater
Standart flourescent lights, will upgrade to Moderate Lighting (need advice here, I can't go over 200$)
50lbs of aquarium sand, black

CORALS
50lbs of live rock
20lbs of live sand
Hardier Polyps, mushrooms and possibly a few trees

FISH AND INVERTEBRATES
x1 lionfish, Radiata or Volitans.

Questions:
What kind of lighting should I have?
Is my stocklist OK?
How often would I have to do maitenance?
Edited by Will, Sep 10 2009, 11:45 AM.
P0RN!!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

puffcrusader696
Member Avatar
Baby Black Aro
T5 lighting is your best bet... unless you want to go overboard and to halide in that tank but that would end up being over $200... I'll post some links of what lights would be good for that but to get something worth while your going to need to go over $200... Otherwise your going to get something of not very good quality and your going to need to replace it and that would add up to more money in the long run...
Edited by puffcrusader696, Sep 9 2009, 01:20 AM.
My reef is my expression... its a mixed bag of a bit of everthing with no clear theme all including mood swings, many odd quirks, nooks, crannies, and the best part: growth

Questions about saltwater? Wanna set up an amazing reef display and want to do it right? Just ask!

Will
Member Avatar
MeAtSpInNiNg ByOtCh
Thanks!
Any thoughts about my stocklist?
P0RN!!!

puffcrusader696
Member Avatar
Baby Black Aro
Stocklist... It looks fine but I would only have one clown unless you are getting a M/F pair. I wouldn't get a banded coral shrimp if your going to want some other inverts (other shrimp and such) as well because it will kill them. If you don't plan on adding any other inverts like that then your ok. Corals look good... I can help you with maintenance a bit later... better to get your equipment list down first. Your going to need a filter... preferably a sump with a fuge but on a 20 gallon thats not really a big deal if you don't have one... best to just have a canister filter as they force water through the media best. Your going to want to have a skimmer too... try looking for used ones on eBay and such... they always have good deals on used ones, but always make sure to check with someone who knows what they're talking about before buying it to make sure you get it right the first time... as for the lighting... I'll post that in another reply... also, try reading my article on how to set up a reef. It's in the reef topic as a sticky.
My reef is my expression... its a mixed bag of a bit of everthing with no clear theme all including mood swings, many odd quirks, nooks, crannies, and the best part: growth

Questions about saltwater? Wanna set up an amazing reef display and want to do it right? Just ask!

puffcrusader696
Member Avatar
Baby Black Aro
Lights to consider:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Current_USA_SunDial_T5_HO_w_Timers_LED_24_Inch_T5_Fluorescent_Light_Fixtures-Current_USA-CU01150-FILTFIT54U-vi.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticLife_T5_HO_Light_Fixtures_w_Lunar_LED_s_24_Inch_T5_Fluorescent_Light_Fixtures-AquaticLife-AK01035-FILTFIT54U-vi.html

Either of these are good. Really there isn't anything cheaper unless you get a really crappy light with a paper reflector... you don't want one of those. Let me know what you think...

Iloutfitter
Apple Snail
I am purchasing my lights thru a hydroponics store we have here local
http://biggrowhydro.com/
about us part.

For a t-5 4 bulb its around 100 bucks I believe, I have to go in before sunday(my b-day) and pick out my new gift from my wife. Good for me because its local but might be worth a shot at giving him a call, I warn you he knows nothing of fish tank lighting so you gotta do your homework on that, he just provides name brand gear cheaper then most online retailers.

puffcrusader696
Member Avatar
Baby Black Aro
That would be a good thing to do if you can find the right brands. Otherwise just order it from a trusted online retailer. Good luck and keep us updated!

Iloutfitter
Apple Snail
They are sun something he carries, on the box they are 100% safe for aquatic gardener use.

Give me about 12-15 hours and Ill dig out his catalog and post up his brands and I will check on what you want and see what he charges.

I am sure my shipping is cheaper then his.

Will
Member Avatar
MeAtSpInNiNg ByOtCh
puffcrusader696
Sep 9 2009, 01:26 AM
Stocklist... It looks fine but I would only have one clown unless you are getting a M/F pair. I wouldn't get a banded coral shrimp if your going to want some other inverts (other shrimp and such) as well because it will kill them. If you don't plan on adding any other inverts like that then your ok. Corals look good... I can help you with maintenance a bit later... better to get your equipment list down first. Your going to need a filter... preferably a sump with a fuge but on a 20 gallon thats not really a big deal if you don't have one... best to just have a canister filter as they force water through the media best. Your going to want to have a skimmer too... try looking for used ones on eBay and such... they always have good deals on used ones, but always make sure to check with someone who knows what they're talking about before buying it to make sure you get it right the first time... as for the lighting... I'll post that in another reply... also, try reading my article on how to set up a reef. It's in the reef topic as a sticky.
Yep, I'm going for a m/f pair. What other kinds of invert safe inverts would you recommend? How could I make a "fuge sump", which i'm assuming is short for refugium. What price should I look at for a skimmer, at petsmart they have some designed for 20 gallons for 89.99, is this a good deal?
P0RN!!!

Verse 34k
Member Avatar
Kohaku Koi
bro, you sure you want to do a reef in such a small tank? i mean for a reef beginner like yourself, i would aim for something a bit bigger.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Reef · Next Topic »
Photobucket

JavaScript Free Code Fish Topsites
JavaScript Free Code