Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
JavaScript Free Code
Welcome to the Aquaventures forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Aquaventures is a fish-keeping forum geared to all different kinds of hobbyists. Whether your just starting out, or your an accomplished aquarist, we're sure you'll find yourself at home here. We have a montly POTM with prize, lots of active members, a buy & sell section, and lots more.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as:

• Posting in and creating new threads
• Customizing your profile
• Sending private messages
• Posting photos
• Voting in Polls
• Participate in various contests

Registration is fast, simple, and 100% FREE. So what are you waiting for?

Join Aquaventures Today!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Photobucket
Ichy Angel...
Topic Started: Sep 5 2009, 09:58 PM (477 Views)
Will
Member Avatar
MeAtSpInNiNg ByOtCh
AHHH.... :blink: :unsure: :( :mad:
My fish are exhausting me... :( I think that the ich was caused by the acara establishing a territory, though I can't be sure. I also have a problem with my filter. the Aquaeon 55 only runs filter cartridges with carbon. this carbon is removing all the ich cure from the water, and it is preventative in the angel's health care.
P0RN!!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tigerpuffer
Member Avatar
AJ's ghost
quarentine tank
-Tig
~~~~~~~~~~~:>--<

Verse 34k
Member Avatar
Kohaku Koi
Never use carbon, except when removing meds.

Will
Member Avatar
MeAtSpInNiNg ByOtCh
Only filter cartrides for the aqueon come with carbon inserted. Should I cut them before use?
P0RN!!!

Verse 34k
Member Avatar
Kohaku Koi
no, use a different media. carbon will only harm your fish. it leeches out helpful nutrients and carbon dust has been suspected to cause a wide variety of ailments.

Will
Member Avatar
MeAtSpInNiNg ByOtCh
No, as in, the filter cartridges come sealed with carbon in them, I can't get it out... Should I cut the filter cartridges beforehand?
P0RN!!!

Breadcrumb
Goldfish
Instead of using the filter cartridges that are made for the hob, buy some ceramic rings and filter floss.

Personally I think those filter cartridges are ridiculously expensive for what they are.

Will
Member Avatar
MeAtSpInNiNg ByOtCh
^Tell me more... I was thinking of just using cotton, but if you can organize this cotton....
P0RN!!!

Iloutfitter
Apple Snail
Get an aqua clear, you can use anything you want in them and the media is alot cheaper.

for HOB's AC's are they only way to go.

You can get filter bags and boxed media and make your own bags, jsut set them in the HOB where your cartridge usually goes.

get ceramic rings for bio media and use poly fill for solids filtering, the rings provide alot more surface area for bacteria then the cartridge types do. Its weird but its true.

No-One
Member Avatar
SILENCE!
I use an emperor filter, it has a special compartment for carbon, and it's optional. I know you don't want to spend more money on a different filter though.

can't you buy defferent filters for it that don't have the carbon?
African ciochlids FTW!!!

Spoiler: click to toggle

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Aquatic Talk · Next Topic »
Photobucket

JavaScript Free Code Fish Topsites
JavaScript Free Code