Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
JavaScript Free Code
Welcome to the Aquaventures forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Aquaventures is a fish-keeping forum geared to all different kinds of hobbyists. Whether your just starting out, or your an accomplished aquarist, we're sure you'll find yourself at home here. We have a montly POTM with prize, lots of active members, a buy & sell section, and lots more.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as:

• Posting in and creating new threads
• Customizing your profile
• Sending private messages
• Posting photos
• Voting in Polls
• Participate in various contests

Registration is fast, simple, and 100% FREE. So what are you waiting for?

Join Aquaventures Today!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Photobucket
problem with my micro :(
Topic Started: Aug 27 2009, 12:20 AM (679 Views)
Snickerdoodle
Member Avatar
Stingray
ok so i need your opinions on this...professionals only please lol. by pros i mean people who have kept micros and reared them etc. one of my new micros that just came in was doing really well. he went from 12cm to 17cm in two weeks i think. i was like wow he is going to be a big boy. then yesterday...i heard this noise. he had actually managed to slip into one of the tubing in my eheim filtration because this thing fell off at the end of the tube. the tube is the part that pulls water IN to the canister, so its really strong. the micro got my attention because it had swam all the way into the tub but it could only get its head into it and it was stuck. i unplugged the canister and had to gently pull him out. this was yesterday afternoon. once i pulled him out he was smashed up really badly. because he was in that tube which was basically acting as a vaccum for the water in the tank, his eyes had swollen up out of his head and are filled with blood. and he has bruises everywhere on his head. like about half a cm of flesh has been ripped out. i tried to get pics but im sooo pathetic at pics. i was like nooooooooooo he is going to die because the moment i got him out of there he went to the surface and started spinning like crazy, head up. then he went into shock but a few minutes later he was up and swimming again.

his eyes have sort of gone down a bit - gotta say micros are EXTREMELY strong fish, he was shaking a whole canister and making so much noise in one tube line!!! but the blood around his eyes have gone down completely and he is slowly getting back his colour. but my problem is that his eyes have gone cloudy and i've noticed he doesnt see his food. so he hasnt eaten today. thankgod before this happened i had stuffed him with feeders and frozen fish. like i know the way i've been feeding him, he can go for a few days without food and be perfectly fine. but im so worried because he is only a juvie. i cant think of anything else apart from changing the water in the tank a bit more than i usually do to give him a chance to heal up. but other than that..i got no idea my main concern is that he is going to be blind for life..and if he is...then how will he catch his food etc. i've noticed micros hunt based on vision particularly. and he cant seem to see frozen fish either. someone give me so advice, please

ok i've attached a few pics i took. the first ones are from when i first got him out of the tube. the last two are the most recent ones. you can see how he has healed. i still think he wont make it though im so upset. he grew so big, so fast. i thought he was going to be a real stunner. all that hard work for nothing...im not getting my hopes up
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 25082009169.jpg (259.82 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Snickerdoodle
Member Avatar
Stingray
another pic
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 25082009170.jpg (261.1 KB)

Snickerdoodle
Member Avatar
Stingray
and another lol. just a bird's eyes view of his injury
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 25082009166.jpg (357.94 KB)

Verse 34k
Member Avatar
Kohaku Koi
yikes neer that looks really nasty. i think adding some aquarium salt and turning the temp up a few degrees should do the job, fish heal very fast. just be sure to add an extra aerator if you don't have very much water flow. oh, and you may want to try and secure the canister-filter-part better so this doesn't happen again.

Datnoid Man
Member Avatar
GO BUCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks to be some kind of viral infection.... poor fish :( Try adding some salt, turn the heat up and do alot of water changes like 10-20% cleaning the bottom to make sure there are not scrap. Then add salt and turn the heat up.

Will
Member Avatar
MeAtSpInNiNg ByOtCh
I don't really think anyone here is an expert per-say, but if you want him to eat you could move it in front of his face with your hand...
P0RN!!!

Verse 34k
Member Avatar
Kohaku Koi
Datnoid Man
Aug 27 2009, 02:44 AM
Looks to be some kind of viral infection.... poor fish
viral infection???? where did you get that? :blink:

Snickerdoodle
Member Avatar
Stingray
actually he is doing really well, guys :D he has started eating again and he has even started recognising me all over again too! im so happy. his eyes are clearing up aswell. ive just been keeping his water clean. hopefully it will all go well from then onwards

Will
Member Avatar
MeAtSpInNiNg ByOtCh
Maybe he lost vision for a little while,?
P0RN!!!

Snickerdoodle
Member Avatar
Stingray
basically when i pulled him out of the canister, his eyes popped out and he was heamoraging inside his head. im not sure if he has completely healed yet, but all the blood seems to have gone, and his eyes have cleared up. i think he eyes went cloudy because of the stress and infection got in. but now he is healing up he is back to his old self dashing around the tank and stuff. i think something may have been damaged in his brain however, because his balance is slightly off. he swims with his tail pointing slightly upwards. but yeah...incredible how he has healed up so quickly. he is definitely a fighter :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Emergency Section · Next Topic »
Photobucket

JavaScript Free Code Fish Topsites
JavaScript Free Code