Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
JavaScript Free Code
Welcome to the Aquaventures forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Aquaventures is a fish-keeping forum geared to all different kinds of hobbyists. Whether your just starting out, or your an accomplished aquarist, we're sure you'll find yourself at home here. We have a montly POTM with prize, lots of active members, a buy & sell section, and lots more.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as:

• Posting in and creating new threads
• Customizing your profile
• Sending private messages
• Posting photos
• Voting in Polls
• Participate in various contests

Registration is fast, simple, and 100% FREE. So what are you waiting for?

Join Aquaventures Today!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Photobucket
Reasons to have all types of filtration
Topic Started: Jun 30 2009, 08:02 PM (582 Views)
thatcichlidguy
Member Avatar
Apple Snail
Chemical filtration is completely optional. Infact most chemical media suffer from an out of sight out of mind syndrome. Basicly we dont change it unless it's built into say a filter cartridge. That's bad because after a period of time it will start to release the very substances it was placed there to help remove. Carbon is particularly notorious for it. If your doing regular waterchanges in a volume that is sufficient to do some good (over 35% , anything less is just keeping dissolved organics from increasing rather than removing them in any usefull quantity) chemical media becomes practically obsolete. Nothing wrong with using it, just isn't needed if your doing your part . The importance of chemical filtration is highly overstated and mostly irrelevent in maintaining a healthy tank. If they give you peace of mind then use them , the manufacturers of these products will thank you for it, but regular waterchanges are cheaper and many times just as or even more effective than any chemical media can .
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

puffcrusader696
Member Avatar
Baby Black Aro
reusable seachem medias that change color when they are full are cheaper in the long run when you reuse them. and they are easy to tell when they are used because they change color. No testing to see if they are releasing the stuff back into the water, just looking into the filter every once in a while to see if it has changed. particularly easy to check if in a power filter or sump.
My reef is my expression... its a mixed bag of a bit of everthing with no clear theme all including mood swings, many odd quirks, nooks, crannies, and the best part: growth

Questions about saltwater? Wanna set up an amazing reef display and want to do it right? Just ask!

thatcichlidguy
Member Avatar
Apple Snail
puffcrusader696
Jul 20 2009, 01:50 AM
reusable seachem medias that change color when they are full are cheaper in the long run when you reuse them. and they are easy to tell when they are used because they change color. No testing to see if they are releasing the stuff back into the water, just looking into the filter every once in a while to see if it has changed. particularly easy to check if in a power filter or sump.
Those types are helpfull , but still un-needed. Chemical filtration is at best a use specific media, not an escential part of the setup. As far as freshwater is concerned everything you could remove (and quite a bit you cant) with chemical media is removed during a waterchange. If your doing that, then chemical media are redundant and superfluous. The only time you might really need it is when removing meds from a tank. That falls under use specific . I haven't used a scrap of chemical media in 15yrs, not a problem to report. If anything I have fewer issues.

If using them makes you sleep better at night then knock yourself out, but in the longterm you just end up spending money on media that could go somewhere else. Like more fish. Establish and maintain a good regular waterchange routine, and you'll never need chemical media except on that rare occasion that you have to treat a tank with meds. Even then you'll only use it for a day or two.

puffcrusader696
Member Avatar
Baby Black Aro
I agree that chemical medias are not necessary but are helpful in keeping water healthy when you are not there to do a water change (such as if you go on vacation) However, in saltwater and reef aquariums, these medias are essential to keeping the water phosphate and copper (and other metals and such) free. Depending on the type of aquarium, the use of chemical medias will vary in necessity and the type of chemical media used.
My reef is my expression... its a mixed bag of a bit of everthing with no clear theme all including mood swings, many odd quirks, nooks, crannies, and the best part: growth

Questions about saltwater? Wanna set up an amazing reef display and want to do it right? Just ask!

thatcichlidguy
Member Avatar
Apple Snail
puffcrusader696
Jul 21 2009, 02:51 PM
I agree that chemical medias are not necessary but are helpful in keeping water healthy when you are not there to do a water change (such as if you go on vacation) However, in saltwater and reef aquariums, these medias are essential to keeping the water phosphate and copper (and other metals and such) free. Depending on the type of aquarium, the use of chemical medias will vary in necessity and the type of chemical media used.
Again I disagree. While there are a few schools of thought on the best way to maintain a healthy reef system, once again it can be done without chemical media. use of RO water and frequent waterchanges will keep organic and inorganic pollutants to a minimum.

The more you rely on chemical media to do the work ,the more you leave yourself open to problems. In any tank a waterchange trumps chemical media and your a lot more likely to do them if you just have to rather than just changing media . Like I mentioned my tanks have been much healthier since I stopped using it all those years ago.

puffcrusader696
Member Avatar
Baby Black Aro
RO water alone does not solve all chemical leeching problems. Water changes solve most of that but leeches from substances in the sand and rocks that the owner does not know about can seriously damage a reef even in very minute levels. water changes to lessen it but do not eliminate it as a reef would require. Chemical media, in addition to RO water changes is the safest way to keep unwanted substances out of water in any aquarium. I'm not saying it is impossible to maintain an aquarium without the use of chemical media, but what I am saying is that the combination of a good chemical media (carbon is not a good chemical media) and water changes is the best and safest way to go when maintaining a delicate system.

thatcichlidguy
Member Avatar
Apple Snail
Which brings up the 10g mini reef I had for several years with no chemical filtration whatsoever. Did a little too good. Inverts grew too big and I had to keep trading for smaller ones LOL. Waterchanges and a protien skimmer is all it got besides trace elements and some invert food. Oh and the usual calcium supplements . I really wish I had pics of it.

puffcrusader696
Member Avatar
Baby Black Aro
I wish I had pics of my reef right now, but I am not home. Everything is doing incredibly well, no algae, growth is very fast, all with water changes, chemical media, and no protein skimmer (at least until I can either find a good used one or save enough for a good one) and all the levels are undetectable, even nitrates are undetectable. I'm not saying it is impossible to have a very successful reef without chemical media, all I am saying is that it can help with the control of unknown substances that can damage reefs even in very low levels. Yes, water changes can take care of these levels but in addition to regular water changes, using chemical media can keep them at 0 100% of the time.

thatcichlidguy
Member Avatar
Apple Snail
Well we'll just say that while not needed , chemical filtration is not without merit and depending on application , can be an important part of a set up.

All this talk about reefs is giving me some ideas that would really piss off the wife LOL. I'm on a two tank curfew ATM.

puffcrusader696
Member Avatar
Baby Black Aro
lol :D I've been on tank curfew for a long time... My parents are making me go all salt (one tank only) and get rid of all my fresh stuff... but that means one bigger tank instead of a bunch of small ones :d Since I am not home (I'm at our cottage on keuka lake for the summer) my dad is taking care of my aquariums (oh god) when he goes back for work (its only a 35 minute commute instead of a 1 minute commute like it is at home) he feeds them (according to what I lay out when I can get home) I lay it out for a few weeks worth and I do a water change when i'm there. But since i may not get back for a couple weeks or more I try to let chemical media take that in for me. When I get home, I change the media and do a large water change. In my situation, chemical media is very important. In past situations it has not been important but merely a supplement to water changes and regular filtration (im a clean water freak and every one of my tanks is an overkill filtration). just to let you know where I'm coming from :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Setup, Filtration, and Equipment · Next Topic »
Photobucket

JavaScript Free Code Fish Topsites
JavaScript Free Code