Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
JavaScript Free Code
Welcome to the Aquaventures forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Aquaventures is a fish-keeping forum geared to all different kinds of hobbyists. Whether your just starting out, or your an accomplished aquarist, we're sure you'll find yourself at home here. We have a montly POTM with prize, lots of active members, a buy & sell section, and lots more.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as:

• Posting in and creating new threads
• Customizing your profile
• Sending private messages
• Posting photos
• Voting in Polls
• Participate in various contests

Registration is fast, simple, and 100% FREE. So what are you waiting for?

Join Aquaventures Today!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Photobucket
Reasons to have all types of filtration
Topic Started: Jun 30 2009, 08:02 PM (603 Views)
puffcrusader696
Member Avatar
Baby Black Aro
To have a healthy aquarium you need to have each type of filtration to keep your water at its highest quality. There are several reasons why you need each type of filtration, here I will list and explain a few.

Mechanical:

Mechanical filtration is needed to filter out the loose particles in the water and to "polish" the water to make it clean. Without this type of filtration loose particles would not be caught and be floating in the water and eventually clog powerheads and filter intakes, they can also clog biological and chemical media which severely reduces flow through them and their effectiveness.

Biological:

Biological filtration is needed to filter out all the organic particles in the water and to make it ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate free. First stage biological filtration converts decaying proteins into nitrite. Nitrite is harmful to life so second stage filtration is needed (most of the time both first and second stage biological filtration is achieved in one media). Second state is nitrifying bacteria that turn nitrites into nitrates. Nitrates are less harmful but in many systems, large amounts of them are harmful (in reefs, even very small amounts are harmful). Third stage biological filtration is bacteria that turn the nitrates into nitrogen gas which is harmless in all systems. This last stage is key in reef systems to maintain water suitable for corals and saltwater fish and inverts. Media such as Eheim's Efhisubsrat Pro and SeaChem's Matrix are excellent for biofiltration. Although Matrix filters all three stages and Efhisubsrat Pro does not, additional media is desired either way. Either a nitrate reactor or SeaChem's Den*itrate or other denitrate medias all work very well.

Chemical Filtration:

Chemical Filtration is needed to keep dissolved chemicals and other harmful substances out of the water. Water is forced through medias such as activated carbon or other absorbing medias such as zeolite crystals (freshwater only) or any other phosphate or copper absorption media. Carbon media releases phosphates into the water so they must be used with a phosphate media or a media that does carbon's job without releasing phosphates must be used in order to prevent algal blooms. This type of filtration is important because heavy metals can harm aquatic life and any other poisons or toxins in the water can be removed this way and can protect your fish and other life.

Every stage of filtration is critical to maintain good water quality and a healthy environment for your fish. If every stage is not utilized it will result in an unhealthy environment and unhealthy and unhappy fish. Water changes do help control much of this but even between water changes, levels can change due to an unexpected fish death or countless other reasons between water changes which will result in other deaths. If every stage is utilized your system will be healthy and happy and very successful.
My reef is my expression... its a mixed bag of a bit of everthing with no clear theme all including mood swings, many odd quirks, nooks, crannies, and the best part: growth

Questions about saltwater? Wanna set up an amazing reef display and want to do it right? Just ask!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Verse 34k
Member Avatar
Kohaku Koi
nice writeup will!!!

Eoibio
Member Avatar
^^selling all his predators ^^
NICE! Well writen!
75g (mainly) Discus Tank
Spoiler: click to toggle

Filteration: Eheim ecco pro and a Eheim proffesional thermo II

Slice
Apple Snail
WELL WRITTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

Also you want to keep the Nitrates down with water changes!!!!!!

puffcrusader696
Member Avatar
Baby Black Aro
Slice
Jul 1 2009, 01:15 AM
WELL WRITTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

Also you want to keep the Nitrates down with water changes!!!!!!

Thanks!

nitrate medias can also keep nitrates down... thats the method I prefer in case I'm not home for a while to do water changes. but yes water changes are the generally accepted method of removing nitrates. but to keep them even lower, certain medias are preferred.
Edited by puffcrusader696, Jul 1 2009, 08:00 PM.
My reef is my expression... its a mixed bag of a bit of everthing with no clear theme all including mood swings, many odd quirks, nooks, crannies, and the best part: growth

Questions about saltwater? Wanna set up an amazing reef display and want to do it right? Just ask!

puffcrusader696
Member Avatar
Baby Black Aro
KillzKayZ
Jun 30 2009, 10:20 PM
nice writeup will!!!
thanks!

Tigerpuffer
Member Avatar
AJ's ghost
good article :)
-Tig
~~~~~~~~~~~:>--<

puffcrusader696
Member Avatar
Baby Black Aro
thanks :D should it be made into an actual article in the article section?

Verse 34k
Member Avatar
Kohaku Koi
I will add it to the main article page.

Dovii16
Member Avatar
Goldfish
:rockon: Very good article and very important to have all types of filtration IMO
150gal
4- Pygocentrus Nattereri Posted Image
3- Pygocentrus Piraya

75gal
1- Serrasalmus Compressus Complex Form

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Setup, Filtration, and Equipment · Next Topic »
Photobucket

JavaScript Free Code Fish Topsites
JavaScript Free Code