Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
JavaScript Free Code
Welcome to the Aquaventures forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Aquaventures is a fish-keeping forum geared to all different kinds of hobbyists. Whether your just starting out, or your an accomplished aquarist, we're sure you'll find yourself at home here. We have a montly POTM with prize, lots of active members, a buy & sell section, and lots more.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as:

• Posting in and creating new threads
• Customizing your profile
• Sending private messages
• Posting photos
• Voting in Polls
• Participate in various contests

Registration is fast, simple, and 100% FREE. So what are you waiting for?

Join Aquaventures Today!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Photobucket
Confused?
Topic Started: Jun 26 2009, 07:04 AM (574 Views)
Slice
Apple Snail
Hey guys I just read about "Hang on the back of the fishtank filters" and "Canisterized filters" and even on saltwatery tank theirs something called a SUMS.

Okay so what do you think is the best type of filter machine? i think the ones that hang on the back are better than canisterized since the kid and big als told me he only uses those on all his fishtanks, but thats just one experts opinion. I also think they clean the fishes poop out of the water better because they are closer to the water and only have to be washed every year or so. Unlike caniserized which have to be cleaned every 2 weeks such a drag.

So what do you all think? What do you all like to use?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Verse 34k
Member Avatar
Kohaku Koi
Well, the most important thing is that you need to have all three kinds of filtration in your aquarium- mechanical, biological, and chemical. Sometimes you can accomplish that with just one filter, but it's not easy.

Mechanical filtration removes particles in the water- not always harmful to the fish, but they'll definitely make the water look cleaner.

Biological filters contain lots of space where beneficial bacteria can grow and thrive, where they remove harmful toxins (ammonia, nitrIte).

Chemical filtration removes various chemicals in the water, such as medications and stuff like that. Carbon is the most widely used chemical filter, but because it can also remove essential nutrients in the water, they are recommended for use only when needed.

Hang on the back filters, AKA HOB filters are the staple in the filter industry. They use carbon, often various "spongy" materials that work as mechanical AND biological, and some new models also contain stuff to help the biological bacteria out.

Canister filters are basically are large rectangular unit with two tubes sticking out- one intake and one out-take. They are placed in the aquarium and the water is sucked into the tubes inside the main filter body, where it is pushed through a large, and varied amount of materials. Canister filters work great at mechanical and biological filters.

Sumps can be used on both fresh and saltwater tanks. They are generally only used on very large aquariums. They work in the same basic way as a canister, only they are filled to the brim with various materials used specifically for biological filtration, such as bio-balls and the like.

So, for most small aquariums I would recommend a HOB or two. Once your in the larger range (100 gallons +) I would start to strongly encourage the use of a Canister or Sump filter.

Good luck!
tim

Will
Member Avatar
MeAtSpInNiNg ByOtCh
Also, you have to replace the filter cartridges every month or so*
P0RN!!!

Datnoid Man
Member Avatar
GO BUCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I like the Mechanical filtration alot better.

Dovii16
Member Avatar
Goldfish
Geo dude
Jun 26 2009, 01:16 PM
I like the Mechanical filtration alot better.
But you need both Mechanical and biological filtration to run a healthy tank
150gal
4- Pygocentrus Nattereri Posted Image
3- Pygocentrus Piraya

75gal
1- Serrasalmus Compressus Complex Form

deepbluesea
Apple Snail
do you have to use a filter

Verse 34k
Member Avatar
Kohaku Koi
yes indeed! and in the future please start a new topic :)

Slice
Apple Snail
/blows kiss to KillaKayz

Thank you Hun I learned so much!!!!!

Breadcrumb
Goldfish
^^^ Oh my ^^^ Is this a fish site or a dating service? lmao

HOB's are great for smaller tanks, I however only use a canister filter.

IMIGHT
Member Avatar
Baby Black Aro
Breadcrumb
Jun 30 2009, 02:28 AM
^^^ Oh my ^^^ Is this a fish site or a dating service? lmao

HOB's are great for smaller tanks, I however only use a canister filter.
What size aquarium do you have Breadcrumb ?
check out my tanks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyOK8Ymd9l8

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Setup, Filtration, and Equipment · Next Topic »
Photobucket

JavaScript Free Code Fish Topsites
JavaScript Free Code