Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
JavaScript Free Code
Welcome to the Aquaventures forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Aquaventures is a fish-keeping forum geared to all different kinds of hobbyists. Whether your just starting out, or your an accomplished aquarist, we're sure you'll find yourself at home here. We have a montly POTM with prize, lots of active members, a buy & sell section, and lots more.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as:

• Posting in and creating new threads
• Customizing your profile
• Sending private messages
• Posting photos
• Voting in Polls
• Participate in various contests

Registration is fast, simple, and 100% FREE. So what are you waiting for?

Join Aquaventures Today!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Photobucket
Help! Cotton Eye!
Topic Started: May 2 2009, 01:50 AM (770 Views)
WyldLife6201
Member Avatar
Baby Black Aro
I don't know the exact name of the illness but my female Swordtail Platy has started to get some cotton-substance around her eyes and I dont want it to spread and I need to get rid of it ASAP!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image < CLICK PLEASE!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Verse 34k
Member Avatar
Kohaku Koi
http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/eyes.html

Snickerdoodle
Member Avatar
Stingray
numbers, you need treatment which is for fungus and finrot. i'd suggest using something gentle such as Esha. if you have good water quality you can also just keep on doing water changes and slowly it will go away by itself. however i think it should be left untreated only if you are in the first stages of this infection. DO NOT let it reach the base of your fish's fin if not you risk it never growing back! if you think it is past healing on its own without medication then IMO waterchanges are the way to do it and a little salt wouldnt go to any harm either. but best to medicate if you are worried and add an extra airstone in there or turn up the pump.

Tigerpuffer
Member Avatar
AJ's ghost
could be columnaris. in which case youre in trouble
-Tig
~~~~~~~~~~~:>--<

Snickerdoodle
Member Avatar
Stingray
no if it was, he would see worms.

Tigerpuffer
Member Avatar
AJ's ghost
you mean planaria?

columnaris is a microscopic parasite.
-Tig
~~~~~~~~~~~:>--<

WyldLife6201
Member Avatar
Baby Black Aro
Neer, when you say salt you mean table salt? Or Aquarium Salt?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image < CLICK PLEASE!

Binnyswaa
JRR Tolkien baby!
LOL...

anywho. your fish has columnaris. Treat accordingly. you will not see worms, and TBH, if you let it go any longer, your fish will likely die.

gremlin
Apple Snail
Bottomfeeder
May 3 2009, 12:32 AM
you mean planaria?

columnaris is a microscopic parasite.
Wrong...

columnaris is a bacteria infection. Often caused when a fish has had a prior injury and bacteria has gotten into the wound.

It is a gram negative bacteria and needs to be treated accordingly. In the states the maracyn products are available and will do the job perfectly.

Snickerdoodle
Member Avatar
Stingray
Numbers get aquarium salt. Do not add table salt as this contains many caking agents and has additives in it. Add the aquarium salt or tonic salt slowly, dissolve in dechlorinated water first. Bear in mind this will only help with the healing process. Clean water is your main goal here. Any chance of getting a picture? That would be an enormous help.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Emergency Section · Next Topic »
Photobucket

JavaScript Free Code Fish Topsites
JavaScript Free Code