Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Tessa's Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Technology/Game Engine swaps?
Topic Started: Jun 14 2009, 09:59 AM (1,166 Views)
RaindropsMelody
Member Avatar

Source: Clicky

Final Fantasy XIII engine likely to be used for Eidos IPs

Crystal Tools, the Square Enix engine behind Final Fantasy XIII, may very well be the next engine [insert Eidos title here -- Tomb Raider?] will be developed on.

In an extensive interview with Gamasutra, Yoichi Wada and Phil Rogers, the respective CEOs of Square Enix and Eidos, confirmed plans of tech exchange between the two companies for future games.

That means Tomb Raider Underworld’s Crystal Tech engine (yes, it’s also a “Crystal” technology) could be used for a ‘Raideresque Final Fantasy action/adventure title some day in the future, while Final Fantasy XIII’s Crystal Tools could pave the way for an ambitiously innovative — gasp! — Lara Croft RPG.

Yoichi Wada points to the differing areas of strength both companies have in terms of game development, “so in that sense the technology, as well as the technology exchange, is also going to be mutually beneficial.”

The Square Enix boss also seems enthusiastic about the prospect of the exchange. “I believe that we would have to forcibly start that kind of a process.” As are we — if only because it would be interesting to see something… unexpectedly wowsome.

If they made a Lara RPG I'd die.....

Also... All "IPs" means to me is "Internet Protocol" but I don't think that's what they mean... Help? :$
The promises, hollow concessions
And innocent show of affection
I touch your hand, a hologram. Are you still there?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Singstar90210
Member Avatar
Pro Wandering Songstress
[ * ]
I think that's what they meant by IP's. I admit, FF XIII's graphics are excellent. I don't see why not. But an RPG? I'd prefer a first-person shooter over an RPG if those were Lara's only two paths! :blink:

I think if they also increased the realism a bit, kinda like Shenmue's weather and sunrise-sunset calibrations, it would pretty exciting and really amazing to look at. If you don't know about the game Shenmue, you're missing out. The technology used was pretty beyond amazing at the time that game released. I think if TR adapted some of those features, Lara's adventures would feel more practical and would increase the sense of isolation.
Edited by Singstar90210, Jun 15 2009, 01:07 AM.
Posted Image
Speak softly and carry a big jo. ;) - O'Leary-Liu

Randy
Raider
[ * ]
I don't follow this, what is a RPG?

RaindropsMelody
Member Avatar

Randy

I don't follow this, what is a RPG?

RPG is short for Role Playing Game. Like, Sims is an RPG.

Wikipedia's Definition

A role-playing game (RPG; often roleplaying game) is a game in which the participants assume the roles of fictional characters.[1] Participants determine the actions of their characters based on their characterization,[1] and the actions succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.[2] Within the rules, players have the freedom to improvise; their choices shape the direction and outcome of the game.[2]

Linky

I hate Wikipedia, but it's the best I can come up with. :$

Singstar90210
Member Avatar
Pro Wandering Songstress
[ * ]
Some games use RPG features, but they aren't classified as an RPG because it's not a pure one. A pure RPG would let the player make an entirely new character rather than using a famous one as a basis. So the article (that Tessa quoted @ the beginning) is really incorrect at its terminology. TR can take on RPG elements, like leveling up Lara's abilities and such, but it can never be a genuine RPG since you're not starting from scratch. Therefore, the reporter can only call TR as it's defined now - an action-adventure/problem solving game.
Posted Image
Speak softly and carry a big jo. ;) - O'Leary-Liu

Randy
Raider
[ * ]
Based on this information, I wouldn't care much for a Tomb Raider game that had those kind of features. I hope they leave well enough alone and quit trying to re-invent the wheel.

Spong
Member Avatar
King of Everything

Firstly, thank you all for giving me the biggest laugh I've ever had at 6 o'clock in the morning. Why? Your definition of IP...

IP, in this context, stands for Intellectual Property. It's just a clever way of saying who owns an idea. Tomb Raider is Eidos & Crystal's intellectual property, while Final Fantasy is SquEnix's. Internet Protocol? LOL. Bless each and every one of you :imfao: :hug:

And The Sims isn't an RPG Tess - it's a simulation. There's a bit of a clue in the name :wink:

Now, moving on to the matter of Crystal Tools and Crystal Tech. I think you've somewhat grabbed the wrong end of the stick in wondering whether RPG elements might invade TR and vice versa. Both are merely graphics engines, they have nothing to do with gameplay elements. They're essentially "machines" that generate the visuals you see on-screen and nothing more.

A consolidation of technology from SquEnix and Crystal could be a good thing, a damn good thing in fact. SquEnix is world renowned for absolutely top-notch visuals (although don't confuse the FMV sequences in their games as being their creation because they're not), and Crystal's efforts with Underworld certainly can't be sniffed at. TR9 could potentially look mind-blowing if Crystal are given access to SquEnix's graphics libraries.
Posted Image

RaindropsMelody
Member Avatar

Hehe.... shoot me. :hang:

I have nothing further to say on this subject, I'll only make a dork out of my self. :$

Spong
Member Avatar
King of Everything

Awww, bless your little cotton socks :hug:
Don't let me having a giggle at your expense deter you from further comments.
Posted Image

RaindropsMelody
Member Avatar

^^ Problem is, I don't have anymore comments... *Face-palm* Being laughed at doesn't bug me. :P After one subject gets to be too confusing, or someone already said what I was going to say I just kinda fade into the background. And I agree wholly with what you said in your last post. Kinda seems stupid of me to say "I agree" all the time. :$

*Tries to think of something to say on the topic... thinking really hard*

Okay, TR9 may look "mind-blowing," but all I see is CD focusing on graphics and not really the design of the puzzles them selfs. TR:U looked mind-blowing, but it was just way too easy. I think they need to shift there focus to the way the game is played - not how it looks. I my self miss spending weeks trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do and how to accomplish it. There, I had something to say! Posted Image

Spong
Member Avatar
King of Everything

You know what? I completely agree. And with the news that Toby Gard's back on board in such a prominent position, for once I feel justified in speculating that maybe those things you mention may well receive the attention they deserve.

And I know what you mean about the "I agree" thing. Besides, it's Lara's Shadow who normally does that ;)
Posted Image

RaindropsMelody
Member Avatar

Toby's back?! I never knew! :clap: I'm excited now, maybe thing's will make a turn for the better! When did he get back?! (With my luck this was months ago.)

*Cough* You know, I may have to give her administrator abilities for the day and just happen to not being watching when she bans you for a week. :Whistle: That is, when her PC is fixed.

Randy
Raider
[ * ]
Not to change the subject but, Underworld was on the easy side I think because it still suffers from the "follow the yellow brick road syndrome". Although, many areas were much larger than in the past which made room for more exploring, if we still would have been presented with more than one route and ended up getting lost a few times, the difficulty level would have increased somewhat. Add that to some good puzzle solving, amazing graphics, and longer levels, now that would be a game.

Spong
Member Avatar
King of Everything

You're right Randy, that's exactly what Legend & Underworld lacked, even Anniversary suffered from it depite being based on the original. The new games are too much of a "straight pipe" design. The older TRs would often give the player a choice of directions to go and it was up to individual exploration to ultimately find out where to go first. Many people see that as a drawback nowadays, the casual gamer wants instant gratification without the "hassle" of having to work for it. Which is what I believe is slowly tightening the noose around Tomb Raider's neck.

But like I said before, now Toby's as good as in the driving seat (as far as design is concerned), maybe we'll see a return to the convoluted maps of old that used to be so head-scratchingly enjoyable.
Edited by Spong, Jun 18 2009, 07:23 PM.
Posted Image

Randy
Raider
[ * ]
I agree with your assessment about "gratification without the hassle". It's evident that the new games are designed around those individuals and that's where the whole problem lies. I did feel however that, Underworld took a step back towards the original feel of the game, a small step, but it still showed promise. An example would be the Mexico level, whereas the player must visit the different areas to find pieces that solve the calendar puzzle. I for one, had to backtrack down the path to find the other area after I realized that I was missing something. But, that's me.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tomb Raider General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Affliates
Topsites
RXnK Topsite v3 AZ Topsites Big Boards LaraCroftRox's TR Videos
Affliates News
• To Join the Affiliates Program PM Tessa.