Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Tessa's Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TR:A or TR1?
TR1 1 (25%)
TR:A 3 (75%)
Total Votes: 4
Controls
Topic Started: May 29 2009, 01:24 PM (1,020 Views)
RaindropsMelody
Member Avatar

Which is harder to control, TR:A Lara, or TR1 Lara? I'm kind of at a cross roads with this one...
The promises, hollow concessions
And innocent show of affection
I touch your hand, a hologram. Are you still there?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Randy
Raider
[ * ]
I've always felt that the original versions of Lara were easier to control especially when it comes to jumping in a certain direction.

Rai
Raider on the run
[ * ]
I prefer TRA's control system. Yes, lining up jumps was more precise in TR1, but I still found the fluid movements less restricting. The only problem with the newer controls is that now Lara has auto-grab as a safety net instead of the walk button. I prefer the button as it feels as if you're more in control. If you think about it, the more fluid controls wouldn't work on a tiny block 1 ft sq where one false move means certain death :imfao: . But the blocked moves of old would just seem odd with a more realistic Lara and all that ledge hopping; Lining up a jump wasn't so necessary in TRA.
Edited by Rai, Jun 4 2009, 09:26 AM.
When just looking isn't always enough...

Randy
Raider
[ * ]
I feel that you're right about the controls feeling odd if new Lara was working off of the older control system. The problem I find now is that using the stick to line up jumps is too hit or miss. I would have figured by now, it would be more reliable.

Spong
Member Avatar
King of Everything

Why's no one voted?

It's obviously all about individual perspective and, for me, Anniversary is a veritable minefield when it comes to the control system. TR1 (all the old-skool TRs in fact) in comparison has a gameplay system that's as simple as it is robust.

The problem lies with Crystal's context-sensitive control system, Lara will only perform certain moves when the game allows it, it's completely restrictive. You have no real way of knowing if Lara will make a jump in Anniversary because she does different jumps in different situations. One time she'll throw herself 10 feet across a chasm to reach a ledge, the next time she'll jump like she's broken both her ankles and plummet to her death.

The old-skool TR's gameplay have their boundaries and that's it, the rules are in place and they don't change with the situations you encounter. You can jump when you want (a jump that's always the same height or length depending on whether you're running, walking or standing still), you can grab when you want (regardless of whether there is anything to grab). All you have to do in TR1 is learn what Lara does when you press whatever button, how she reacts to your commands, how she performs in a given situation and you're all set. In TR1 dying can only be attributed to my own lack of judgement because the rules of the gameplay are simple and ubiquitous. In Anniversary the rules change constantly with the situation, you can die simply because your angle is a little bit off and the game decides Lara's not going to grab the ledge opposite.
Edited by Spong, Jun 7 2009, 07:06 AM.
Posted Image

Randy
Raider
[ * ]
You hit the nail on the head Spong. Basically, the new games are in control and the player is not.

Edit: I missed the part where we were supposed to vote so I added my vote today.
Edited by Randy, Jun 7 2009, 04:49 PM.

Singstar90210
Member Avatar
Pro Wandering Songstress
[ * ]
To be honest, I think it depends on the perspective you play the games. Controller-wise, I would say TR:A. But computer wise and in general, I think TR1 was a lot simpler and the controls feel more customized. Sure, Lara's got more fluid moves in TR:A. But I have a lot more control in TR1 from lighting to weaponry and the problems are easy for me to fix whenever something goes wrong while playing. Anniversary has a good concept of playing up the environments and how Lara has to change her set-up, but they didn't really nail the consistency and adaptation factor that most other games had hit spot on (including TR1 :) ).

I'm voting TR1 even though I think that each game has its pluses and minuses on the control factor. ^_^
Edited by Singstar90210, Jun 12 2009, 03:06 PM.
Posted Image
Speak softly and carry a big jo. ;) - O'Leary-Liu

RaindropsMelody
Member Avatar

I think I've made my decision; I think that TR:A is harder, and TR1 is simple easy and fun. So basically "I agree" with everyone...

The Elodessa™ corporation takes no responsibility for any party dying of boredom after reading the above post.

The promises, hollow concessions
And innocent show of affection
I touch your hand, a hologram. Are you still there?

Singstar90210
Member Avatar
Pro Wandering Songstress
[ * ]
:lol: Smart with the fine print. ;)
Posted Image
Speak softly and carry a big jo. ;) - O'Leary-Liu

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Tomb Raider: Anniversary · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Affliates
Topsites
RXnK Topsite v3 AZ Topsites Big Boards LaraCroftRox's TR Videos
Affliates News
• To Join the Affiliates Program PM Tessa.