Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Help with a banning
Topic Started: Feb 15 2018, 01:02 AM (288 Views)
Averagemoe

I've apparently been banned from commenting on Precocious since the beginning of the year, and I have no idea what I might have done wrong. My only good theory was that I made a comment on the strip from new years eve pointing out a typo in the alt-text. (The comment in question has since been deleted and the typo fixed.) But I can still use this forum, and I figure if I make my problem public knowledge, I might at least have a light shed on it.
I was once banned from commenting on the comic for what seemed like no apparent reason. If it happens to you, you're welcome to use the thread I created for calling for help.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

inil8u
Member Avatar

Well that's no fun...
What happens when you try to comment? Could it be related to IntenseDebate and maybe its guidelines? Did you contact Chrispy about it? If it gets too big a hassle, registering with Wordpress works for me.
Hopeless Wanderer...

You are the Hopeless Wanderer.

You find yourself in a dungeon and are being hunted by a grue. Poor Hopeless Wanderer! If it catches you you'll wish you weren't so helpless.
There is a shiny SUIT of Armor nearby. You see your FAVOURITE FOOD. Behind your FAVOURITE FOOD a MASK lies. Obvious exits are NORTH, SOUTHEAST, DENNYS, and NOWHERES!

What will you do, Hopeless Wanderer?

Averagemoe

It says my comment was deleted by the administrator. So far, I've sent two tickets to Intensedebate support, and one email to Chrispy. Haven't heard back from either.
I was once banned from commenting on the comic for what seemed like no apparent reason. If it happens to you, you're welcome to use the thread I created for calling for help.

inil8u
Member Avatar

If the email was sent more than like a couple days ago, I'd send another one, or go onto his tumblr and ask him. He only seems to regularly post on twitter, but I only know how the anonymous questions thing works for tumblr... or I could make a comment on the comic about it.
When you get his attention, see if he can do this for you (IntenseDebate):
Quote:

Our spam filters are very powerful… sometimes too powerful and can cause false hits. If you notice that a particular commenter is routinely flagged as spam, add their IntenseDebate or WordPress.com username or email address, and ensure that their comments are always approved.
Edited by inil8u, Feb 18 2018, 11:19 PM.

Averagemoe

I think I might have tried his Tumblr too. I'm not on twitter and I don't think this is quite worth making an account for, so if you're willing to speak on my behalf, go ahead.
Edited by Averagemoe, Feb 15 2018, 03:19 PM.

inil8u
Member Avatar

You know, I think something off is going on with how IntenseDebate handles comment deletion. Did Chrispy fix your status or email you back?
Edited by inil8u, Feb 18 2018, 11:18 PM.

Averagemoe

Still banned, and your comment for me got deleted. I'd almost call this suspicious.

inil8u
Member Avatar

I agree... I also recall something similar happening last year or something... I've been trying to find something about it in the comment section... I should have led with a different picture, because I believe Chrispy might have thought I was copying the guy's unfavorable mindset along with the cute and quite searchable pic. Part of me wants to use multiple devices to repost the issue in case there is a chance I'll get banned over it (I doubt it, but I'm still anxious), but I'll only do that when all other methods fail, including registering to twitter just to get a response 'cause I call it bad form to actually spam the section when all other likely/viable methods haven't been exhausted. This whole thing was to get him to see the problem and at least talk about it, since the issue hasn't survived in the comment section up to this point. If anyone else remembers seeing the post from a while ago as well, that helps our case, so please speak up.

Okay, I just sent an email to chrispco@yahoo.com. I'll see about working with other alternatives tomorrow afternoon.

To any future forum crawlers, thanks for coming, first of all! It is great to support the community! Secondly, Chrispy constantly faces multiple pains and (as stated in the comic multiple times since around 2012) as such cannot focus on harrowing tasks without receiving major headache. Don't take our dilemma to mean Chrispy should try harder for us. He does not owe us anything.
You think so too, right Averagemoe? : )
Edited by inil8u, Feb 18 2018, 11:18 PM.

Averagemoe

Yeah, we really shouldn't be putting this on Chrispy's shoulders. That said, he might have mentioned something somewhere about the website itself being maintained by someone else, so I think the least he can do is tell the webmaster about it.

inil8u
Member Avatar

Before I begin to make greater strides in contacting Chrispy, I want to gather all of the information I can to make my sincerity as clear as possible. Like, did he find your typo fix suggestion rude or did he just say "fixed" and casually delete the comment as moderators usually should to keep the comment section as clean as they want?

Averagemoe

I didn't hear anything about the fix. The comment just disappeared.

In the meantime, here's the comment I would have wanted to post on the most recent strip:

Debate time, do skis count as footwear?
Edited by Averagemoe, Feb 19 2018, 12:37 AM.

inil8u
Member Avatar

If you wanted to, you could use a different IP address and different screen name. If not, we can kinda use this page or another as a comment box - it appeals better to me anyway, so good idea!

That makes me think... well skates and roller blades act as housing for the foot, while skis and snowboards have straps or connectors to allow for a boot to strap on or click into place. Sandals are footwear that use straps. I say that anything you can strap to a boot you can strap to a foot. So snowboards and skis with straps (if skis are ever made with straps) are definitely footwear. Since the click-in mechanism doesn't work with a natural foot, those attachments are not footwear in my book. I went skiing once in Colorado and liked it a lot despite failing the whole time. So whenever my ski attachment fell off my footwear that was required to click in... there you go.
I remember that question from a while ago. Nice!
Edited by inil8u, Feb 19 2018, 05:01 PM.

Averagemoe

So I think maybe Chrispy might think the problem is solved, so how about you try making a comment for me again to let him know that it's still going on.

inil8u
Member Avatar

Well I really could, but I don't think he'd take it too well... I mean I wanna try giving the twitter thing a go before I repeat history. My goal is to get a foot in the door and explain the issue after I establish I'm not a guy trying to mess up his game or something. So it's gonna take time to do... I guess if it doesn't work after a week or so I will comment again.

Averagemoe

Okay, well if it comes to that maybe you could make it into a petition of sorts. Invite others to reply to the comment if they agree I should be let back in. If anything, it'll make it harder to ignore.

Averagemoe

So recently I tried making a proper intensedebate account, so that I would no longer be commenting as a guest. Every time I click the login button in the comments section here, I'm told to input my username and password. I do that, then click the login button, and the page refreshes without logging me in.

Averagemoe

Huzzah, I am allowed to speak again. But not one to let these threads go to waste, I shall leave it here as a means by which future victims of whatever it was to call for help.

« Previous Topic · Not Precocious · Next Topic »
Add Reply