Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to the new home of the Dragonball IGNO Forum.

If you're reading this, the chances are you're an old member who's been around and remembers the good ol' days. Remember that one time, when that one guy did that thing? Yeah, me too. That was awesome. But enough reminiscing; that's what the DBIGNO Archive is for.

Now, whatever kind of member you are, new or old, you must be a lover of IGNO, or are just a fan of Dragonball as a whole looking for a new forum with a creative spin on things. More likely than not you're interested in fanwork and interactivity, because that is what this forum aims to specialize in.

Of course, we're a rich community that tries to offer more than just discussion of one little fanfiction or of Dragonball as a whole...other series, or even general Off-Topic discussion is incorporated, as well as (as discussed above) a focus on fanworks from members, and a little roleplay. Chances are if you're a fan of the Dragonball community there is something here for you.

So now that you know a little bit of what this board is about, we of the DBIGNO community invite you to come on in and enjoy the fun for yourselves.

Regards,

--The Dragonball IGNO Forum staff

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
[adult swim]
Topic Started: Dec 7 2008, 04:15 PM (241 Views)
SG2
Member Avatar
Administrator
Curious as to who else is a fan.

For the longest time, I didn't watch TV - since I graduated high school, actually. Between the times I was living on campus, where I was usually A) elsewhere with friends B) in the library leeching fast internets for online games or C) just not in the mood for TV, and the times I was living at home (50% of both years oddly enough due to complications), where my friends were usually online at the late hours of the night...I stopped going downstairs, where I used to spend most of my time.

Well, this summer, we've had stricter internet rules for various reasons, and I'm generally off by the time my mom gets home from work. As such, I'm in the living room during the evenings, and get the TV when my mom goes to bed. So I've been watching AS nightly almost all summer long, and since I'm living at home this year (we can't afford housing, besides I fucking hate living on campus), the rules will be the same...and I've gotten into shows I had never seen before (Metalocalypse), or just generally lost touch with (Aquateen Hungerforce).

So, anyone else into Adult Swim? It can be for the regular programming, the oldschool Fridays, or the Anime Saturdays.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kane

As you know, I watch Adult Swim for Fullmetal Alchemist.

It just hasn't aired it for so many weeks in a row, or any anime on Saturdays for that matter. . . . Just this thing called Robot Chicken (which is when I trek up back to bed). But according to the website AND the TV guide, it should be back by this next Saturday.

SG2
Member Avatar
Administrator
They pulled it when they, once again, redid their Saturday schedule.

Now, instead of looping the series like they always have done, and do on the other days of the week, they run the Anime schedule all night, and they don't rerun any of them. So, instead of keeping FMA in its run, they decided to replace the first two hours of the block with Robot Chicken, ATHF, and the Boondocks - shows that are on during the regular days of the week and have no reason to be run on SATURDAY as well, the day that has always been for Anime.

I don't know who's running AS's programming schedule these days, because they've been fucking with it constantly since mid-summer, and (was it not obvious?) it's pissing me off. Whoever is currently in control of AS needs to pull their heads out of their ASS.

Kane

That really does suck. So what other anime are they playing? Because all I really knew they were playing were Bleach, FMA, and Death Note. I don't know about any others.

SG2
Member Avatar
Administrator
Code Geass R2 is running now, but if you haven't seen the original Code Geass you can't really enjoy it because it's not the type of series you can jump into halfway, like Death Note (Though that's only on episode 5 thus far, so you could still catch up with that if you acted quickly), and Seirei no Moribito, which is...eh, decent, but not my thing; I'm more into modernly-set series' than the ones with the oldworld Japanese feel (RuroKen is the only 'old' style series I really enjoy).

Ghost in the Shell and Big O are on at the last end of the schedule, so if you feel like staying up reeeeeeally late...me, I go to bed after Death Note because A) I've seen both those series' that AS has rerun into the ground and B) I never really got into them in the first place, but eh. I'd rather they get rid of the Robot Chicken/Boondocks crap that runs during the week and put FMA back on, maybe run one of the AS favorites like Cowboy Bebop or Trigun, or even InuYasha for all I care...just Jesus Christ, it's the one night of the week for this stuff, keep it Japanese!!

Oh!! And of course, Shin Chan. SHIN CHAN.

Kane

I remember watching Big O on Cartoon Network. But, I can barely get my parents to let me stay up to 11:30, which I had been wanting to do due to FMA. Death Note, I saw one episode of and HATED how the lines they used butchered the character of Raye Pember and swore to stick to the manga.

SG2
Member Avatar
Administrator
I think the DN dub is actually excellent in terms of translation. Have you read it online or gone by VIZ's translations? That could be why; I read the entire first story arc via VIZ's tankobon (borrowed from a friend; currently up to 1-4 in my quest to own the series) and everything I've seen in the dub so far has been spot-on. Likewise, the second arc seemed to be identical to the Japanese version of the Anime - keep in mind, they're translating the Anime, not trying to make the dub match the Manga, so that could also be a factor.

I really just can't stand the voices (also I just recently discovered Ryuk is voiced by none other than Brian 'Ovar Nine Thousand' Drummond, which is freaking me out). They're nothing like the original, and L and Ryuk in particular are atrocious. Souichiroh is about the only voice who sounds good in my opinion.

L's voice is not nearly 'oddball' enough as Kappei Yamaguchi's portrayal, and Ryuk's voice is way too deep and doesn't have that same lighthearted goofy quality as the Japanese, which I like, because you forget that he's a DEATH GOD because he's so hard to take seriously. And Light...not that his voice is bad, but it's nothing like the original...and I'm sorry, but not only was the original a fantastic portrayal of the Manga character but to fangirl for two seconds here ZOMFG HIS JAPANESE VOICE IS LIEK TOTALLY HAWT!!11ONE!.

Anyways, I digress.

How about original [adult swim] programming? A lot of it is shit but there's a lot of great stuff, as well. Back in the day when I first discovered AS and started watching because of Yuu Yuu Hakusho (yes, they were the first to run it) and later InuYasha I tried to stick to the Anime, but eventually caught an episode of Sealab 2021...it was so BIZARRE but at the same time made me laugh my ass off (it was the episode where Murphy gets trapped under the soda machine), so I started tuning in to watch that. Eventually I got into Home Movies after that, and then Aquateen Hungerforce after that, which is amazing.

After ATHF I started watching a lot of their original programs, but I didn't care for the majority of it besides that handful of shows. I did love the now-defunct Perfect Hair Forever though and wish it had continued because making fun of Anime is always hilarious, but mostly, I miss 12 Oz. Mouse. Definitely my favorite AS show, it was unfortunately unpopular and the ending was rushed for TV with the promise of new episodes being released online (though so far, there's only been one -_- ). This upsets me. Fans can look past the cheap animation employed in ATHF and Sealab, but they tune out of 12 Oz. because they graphics are (intentionally) horrendous? Or maybe because it's a subtle type of humor that uses a lot of non-sequiters, instead of the blunt style of ATHF or Sealab comedy?

I'll never understand people who think Family Guy is hot shit (when it's really just regular ol' shit) but won't give a brilliant series like 12 Oz. a chance. Not only is it actually quite funny if you give it a chance to get that type of humor, but it has a very deep and intricate plot that unravels slowly as you watch it - and as of the 'finale', the answers to all the questions still haven't come together, and if anything the last two episodes raise even more questions. I really wish they'd hurry with the webisodes already...if they had kept it on the air, they'd be making them much faster, and people may actually tune into a good series instead of shit like Assy McGee or Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job. *sigh*

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · TV, Film & Video · Next Topic »
Add Reply