Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to the new home of the Dragonball IGNO Forum.

If you're reading this, the chances are you're an old member who's been around and remembers the good ol' days. Remember that one time, when that one guy did that thing? Yeah, me too. That was awesome. But enough reminiscing; that's what the DBIGNO Archive is for.

Now, whatever kind of member you are, new or old, you must be a lover of IGNO, or are just a fan of Dragonball as a whole looking for a new forum with a creative spin on things. More likely than not you're interested in fanwork and interactivity, because that is what this forum aims to specialize in.

Of course, we're a rich community that tries to offer more than just discussion of one little fanfiction or of Dragonball as a whole...other series, or even general Off-Topic discussion is incorporated, as well as (as discussed above) a focus on fanworks from members, and a little roleplay. Chances are if you're a fan of the Dragonball community there is something here for you.

So now that you know a little bit of what this board is about, we of the DBIGNO community invite you to come on in and enjoy the fun for yourselves.

Regards,

--The Dragonball IGNO Forum staff

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Importance of Art in Manga
Topic Started: Dec 7 2008, 02:21 PM (279 Views)
SG2
Member Avatar
Administrator
I was thinking of this earlier when discussing one of the most popular and long-running Manga of all time, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, with a friend.

I mentioned that I wouldn't even touch the Manga simply because I find the art style atrocious, even though the story must have something good about it to keep it in such long standing.

So I was wondering.

Does the art style matter in your overall enjoyment of a Manga? Namely, if you'd otherwise be interested in the story, but don't like the art style, would you still pursue it?

Typically, I'd like to say I wouldn't be so shallow...after all, so long as the story to be told was still intriguing, I shouldn't be so hung up on the art. However, half the enjoyment I get from reading Manga is absorbing different art styles and I often get enjoyment from the art alone, even if the story is rather basic fair.

But somehow, it doesn't work the other way around for me - as in, the story could be enough to blow me away, but if the art style doesn't click with me, I just can't really get into it. Often times I'd be better off hoping they make an Anime adaptation, because typically the Anime's art direction won't closely match the Manga's original style (usually I dislike an Anime version's artwork compared to the Manga). I don't know why...but I just can't really grasp interest in a Manga if the art style bugs me.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kane

I have to say that I really don't like shojo manga for the mere reason that the art work, I think, is too soft. I like the really bold lines in shonen manga, like in Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Yu-Gi-Oh!. Soft lines make me think the art is unfinished or is missing something and that it's a rough draft.

Take the Ouran High School Host Club manga for example. I won't read it for the sole reason that I can't stand the art. Not only is the art too soft and such, but the characters don't even look the same in the manga as they do in the anime. The twins are MUCH cuter in the anime, as is Tamaki, and Huni is almost twice as tall in the manga than he is in the anime. I just prefer the way the anime handles their appearances.

This may be because the first anime that I REALLY was obsessed with was Yu-Gi-Oh!, an anime/manga that is notorious for really thick, bold lines, and I've loved it ever since.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
« Previous Topic · Manga · Next Topic »
Add Reply