Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to the new home of the Dragonball IGNO Forum.

If you're reading this, the chances are you're an old member who's been around and remembers the good ol' days. Remember that one time, when that one guy did that thing? Yeah, me too. That was awesome. But enough reminiscing; that's what the DBIGNO Archive is for.

Now, whatever kind of member you are, new or old, you must be a lover of IGNO, or are just a fan of Dragonball as a whole looking for a new forum with a creative spin on things. More likely than not you're interested in fanwork and interactivity, because that is what this forum aims to specialize in.

Of course, we're a rich community that tries to offer more than just discussion of one little fanfiction or of Dragonball as a whole...other series, or even general Off-Topic discussion is incorporated, as well as (as discussed above) a focus on fanworks from members, and a little roleplay. Chances are if you're a fan of the Dragonball community there is something here for you.

So now that you know a little bit of what this board is about, we of the DBIGNO community invite you to come on in and enjoy the fun for yourselves.

Regards,

--The Dragonball IGNO Forum staff

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Chapter 1 Review
Topic Started: Dec 7 2008, 12:17 PM (215 Views)
SG2
Member Avatar
Administrator
Questions, comments, and general feedback on Chapter 1.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lemmy

ORIGINAL REVIEW DATE: December 27, 2006
Coming soon: IGNO Chapter 1 Review (Rewrite)

Hey, everybody! Here's what I thought of Chapter 1-- and as I read through the story, I'll post reviews for the other chapters too (with the apparent exceptions of 3 and 4, thanks to Yonk). Feel free to agree, disagree or punch your computer monitor, but no matter what I'm sure SG2 would love it if you had something to say!

And without further ado:

CHAPTER ONE

It's a promising beginning. There's a lot of detail I could go into, but then I'd look out of place. So I'll throw out some key points instead.

An interesting premise. Granted, tons of people write fanfic about their own version of an alternate GT reality, but so far this isn't heading into that same cliched area where the first thing we see is gratuitous ass-kicking and SSJ5-- not that there's anything wrong with that, but if you do get there, at least you'll be taking your time to develop a story first.

Attention to language. People talk and interact like I would expect them to in the series-- the JAPANESE series. (Or rather, they behave in the way the subtitles TELL me; I'm just now starting to learn the actual language.) Dub fic is okay, but Japanese versions are rare and hard to come by these days so I appreciate this more. Notice the attention to honorifics and accents in dialogue (ChiChi); little touches like that contribute nicely the the illusion of the writing and make the characters more convincing. Thank you for writing out "Okaasan" instead of a direct translation to "Mother," for example.

Some fun characterization. We don't get to see much in Chapter One (we've just started, after all!), but what I did see I liked. Particularly the scene where they're walking through the dark alleys was executed well, because the reactions feel like they fall into line with what I already know; Trunks' common sense, and yes-- WHY is Goten always scared of things that stand no chance against him?

I can always say more. But it's good to be somewhat brief and to the point, I suppose, hm?

I had more to say, but no need for me to take up everyone's time! I'm not the only person here who matters! What do YOU have to say?

~Da Lemmy

Greenputt

Wow, i like it. Good job.
It actually feels as if the characters are behaving the way they should be. They all fit the roles you would expect of them and the way the story is put together is very well done.
Good Job :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Chapter Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply