Site Meter
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TTHC News Discography On Stage Timeline Doubletake Biography Fan Spotlight
We hope you enjoy your visit. We welcome all guests and sincerely hope you will join us and experience what being a member of our home offers! This includes full access to all of our boards and exclusives, plus full access to our vast media library. Once you become a member, you log in to Connections and all of our features are yours to explore and enjoy.

PLEASE READ: WHEN YOU REQUEST MEMBERSHIP, THIS DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY GIVE YOU ACCESS TO THE BOARD. MEMBERSHIP REQUIRES ADMIN APPROVAL, WHICH IS NOT IMMEDIATE. YOU WILL STILL GET THE "YOU DO NOT HAVE ACCESS" MESSAGE UNTIL AN ADMIN HAS APPROVED YOUR APPLICATION. WE ATTEMPT TO APPROVE APPLICATIONS AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE AFTER THEY ARE VALIDATED.

Thank you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2/3/18 Alabama Hall of Fame Induction Shoal's Resort
Topic Started: Dec 9 2017, 07:39 AM (44 Views)
mouser
Member Avatar

February 3, 2018 Saturday The stage band will be the Muscle Shoals All-Stars

The event will be videotaped by Alabama Public Television and will be aired in the spring of 2018.

Marriott Shoals Hotel and Resort
10 Hightower Pl, Florence, AL 35630
Phone: (256) 246-3600

Posted Image

TICKET INFORMATION: For information or to purchase a table, call AMHOF at 256-381-4417. https://www.bandsintown.com/e/21265813?came_from=217

Alabama Music Hall of Fame 2018 inductees: Aldridge, Hinton, Holmes, McAnally
By Russ Corey

MEDIA PRE EVENT :

TUSCUMBIA — The Alabama Music Hall of Fame has announced the names of its 2018 inductees who will be honored when the induction and awards show returns to the Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa in Florence on Feb. 3.

Inductees include: singer, songwriter and guitarist Mac McAnally, who is a solo artist and member of Jimmy Buffett's Coral Reefer Band; songwriter and guitarist Walt Aldridge, who has written or co-written 56 Top 40 country songs; the late civil rights champion and renowned folk singer Odetta Holmes; and the late songwriter and session musician Eddie Hinton, who composed tracks like "Cover Me" for Percy Sledge and "Breakfast in Bed" with fellow Shoals songwriter Donnie Fritts.

Hinton died in 1995 while Holmes died in 2008.

“Each one of these well-deserving inductees has brought international acclaim to our state.” Executive Director Dixie Griffin said. “The banquet celebrates everything that is great about Alabama’s rich and diverse music heritage. Several of Alabama’s music business celebrities stepped up to support the 2018 show and we appreciate that so much.”

Including in the evening's performers is 2016 inductee, former Allman Brothers and current Rolling Stones keyboardist Chuck Leavell, country artist Jamey Johnson and 2005 American Idol winner Taylor Hicks. McAnally and Aldridge are also expected to perform.

Posted Image

Posted Image

MEDIA POST EVENT:

4 inducted into Alabama Music Hall of Fame
By Russ Corey and Robert Palmer Staff Writers

FLORENCE — Legendary soul singer Clarence Carter performed his classic hit “Patches” near the end of the 2018 Alabama Music Hall of Fame's Honors and Awards Banquet in honor of FAME Recording Studios founder Rick Hall, who died Jan. 2 at the age of 85.

Before Saturday night's show, Carter said the hall of fame shows are important to the state.

“We're family all spread out, but we come together for a common cause. I hope it never ends,” he said. “I'll do this every opportunity I get.”

The sold-out banquet and show featured a varied list of inductees and performances. This year's inductees were Eddie Hinton, Odetta, Walt Aldridge and Mac McAnally.

Tuscumbia Mayor Kerry Underwood offered an appropriate prayer to open the show.

“Father, we thank you for the beautiful gift of music,” Underwood said.

Former Anderson resident Red Marlow, a finalist on this season's "The Voice," drew applause as he opened the musical portion of the show with Mark Narmore's “That's What I Love About Sunday.”

A special award was given to Joel Anderson for his support of the hall of fame. He was given the Honorary Rock Star Award by pianist Chuck Leavell, who was inducted in 2016.

“I literally grew up with Muscle Shoals music,” Anderson said. “When I began to travel the world, I realized the influence it had on so many people.”

Earlier in the day, Leavell, who was a member of the Allman Brothers Band and currently tours with the Rolling Stones, said he is proud to be an Alabama musician.

“I cherish my Alabama roots,” he said. He said he admired Muscle Shoals musicians like Clayton Ivey and Pete Carr when he was growing up.

“Keith Richards says there is something in the water here, and I think he's right,” Leavell said.

The first inductee was singer/songwriter Walt Aldridge. Rachel and Hannah Aldridge presented their father with his award.

Hannah Aldridge, who followed her father's footsteps into the music business, said she heard a lot of her father in the songs she writes.

Walt Aldridge said he tries his best to be a good representative of Alabama music.

He thanked Rick Hall for the impression he made on him.

“Rick could be difficult and even impossible at times, but he held me to the same standards he held himself to,” Aldridge said.

He said Hall became a surrogate father to him and the other musicians Hall worked with in his 50 years at FAME.

The next inductee was rhythm and blues singer/guitarist Eddie Hinton.

Jon McGee, a cousin of Eddie Hinton, accepted the award for Hinton, who died in 1995.

“We humbly accept this award,” McGee said. “This is where Eddie would be if he were here, on lead guitar.”

McGee thanked Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section bassist David Hood and his son, Drive-By Truckers co-founder Patterson Hood, for performing Hinton's “Everybody Needs Love” on a segment of "The David Letterman Show."

Hood ended up incorporating that song and “Where's Eddie” into the band's setlist.

His voice rose as he praised the house band, which was composed of Muscle Shoals music all stars.

Angela Hacker and Taylor Hicks performed knock-out versions of the Hinton songs “Breakfast In Bed” and “Cover Me.” Hinton's award was accepted by his cousin, Jon McGee, who said the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section were like family to Hinton.

The third inductee was folk singer and civil rights activist, Birmingham native, Odetta.

Odetta's daughter, Michelle Esrick, said she believed her mother would be deeply moved by her induction into the hall of fame, "a place where she has deep roots."

"She was born in Alabama, she sang for voting rights for the Selma to Montgomery march, she recorded 'Odetta Sings' at Muscle Shoals Sound with Eddie Hinton, Jimmy Johnson and other great Muscle Shoals session playing legends."

"She made you feel things that words could not," Esrick said. "She made you feel the truth. She made you feel love. She connected us. She reminded us that we are all in this together."

Several stars who were touched by Odetta's music, including Joan Baez, Congressman John Lewis, Bonnie Riatt, Harry Belafonte and Kris Krisstofferson, provided video tributes.

Blues singer and family friend Guy Davis performed one of Odetta's favorite songs, “This Little Light of Mine” and “Pay Day at Coal Creek.”

He grew up knowing Odetta through his parents, actors and activists Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis.

“I got to hear her voice on a personal level,” Davis said.

Esrick said her mother loved to laugh and have a good time.

“She felt so strongly that music was a healing force,” Esrick said.

The final inductee, Mac McAnally, accepted his award with some storytelling before performing “It's My Job.”

He grew up in nearby Belmont, Mississippi, and first visited Muscle Shoals with his uncle and father when he was a kid. He said he finally realized he could try his hand at being a musician without going so far afield.

“The fact that Muscle Shoals was here gave me the opportunity to get here and fail, and get back by suppertime,” he said.

Terry Woodford, who was a co-owner of Wishbone Recording Studio in Muscle Shoals, said he signed McAnally to a contract in 1976 after staying up until about 4 a.m. in the morning listening to tracks McAnally wrote when he was 15 year old. Woodford said he had to get court approval in Mississippi for McAnally to sign because of his age. The Artist was 18.

"I just couldn't believe what I was hearing," Woodford said. "To me, his greatest talent has always been being a songwriter. I thought he was a great singer and obviously a great guitar player. I was proud to be involved in his career.

"He should have been in (the hall of fame) a long time ago."

Woodford and his Wishbone partner Clayton Ivey recorded and mixed "It's Just A Matter Of Time" and "You Can't Stop A Man In Love," two tracks on The Temptations' 1975 album “House Party,” which was recorded and mixed at Wishbone Recording Studios.

Woodford also shared songwriting credits on “You Can't Stop A Man In Love” with Shoals songwriter George Soule. Tempations lead singer Dennis Edwards died Thursday at the age of 74. Edwards was a native of Fairfield.

russ.corey@timesdaily.com

CAST OF CHARACTERS: Thanks to Mitch Jones for this inf.

The Swampers. David Hood on bass. House studio musician from Muscle Shoals, played on all those hits from the 70s.

Jimmy Johnson, Roger Hawkins, Barry Beckett, Pete Carr, Jim Capaldi, Bob Seger, Steve Nathan

keyboard - Barry Beckett
drums - Roger Hawkins
guitar - Jimmy Johnson
bass - David Hood.
lead guitar - Pete Carr
percussion - Jimmy Capaldi
organ - Steve Nathan
sax -
clarinet -
guitar -
trumpet -

SET LIST:
Cover Me by Eddie Hinton
http://www.timesdaily.com/multimedia/taylor-hicks-performs-at-the-alabama-music-hall-of-fame/video_e8249f02-098b-11e8-9a40-1b50d3251ccb.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

SOUL PATROL MEMORIES:

1. credit to Heather Riley

2. Pictures from the Times Daily

http://www.timesdaily.com/gallery/alabama-music-hall-of-fame-awards/collection_53d5d466-0967-11e8-8a8d-63929f81bb92.html#4

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Imagecredit to Lynn Robinson

Posted Image with Clarence Carter Olivia Spry photo

Posted Imagecredit to Allen Farst

Posted Imagecredit to Leigh Cauthen

Posted Imagecredit to Patti Brown

Posted Imagecredit to Burton Doss

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · 2018 - Get Your HICKS Fix · Next Topic »
Add Reply