Site Meter
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TTHC News Discography On Stage Timeline Doubletake Biography Fan Spotlight
We hope you enjoy your visit. We welcome all guests and sincerely hope you will join us and experience what being a member of our home offers! This includes full access to all of our boards and exclusives, plus full access to our vast media library. Once you become a member, you log in to Connections and all of our features are yours to explore and enjoy.

PLEASE READ: WHEN YOU REQUEST MEMBERSHIP, THIS DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY GIVE YOU ACCESS TO THE BOARD. MEMBERSHIP REQUIRES ADMIN APPROVAL, WHICH IS NOT IMMEDIATE. YOU WILL STILL GET THE "YOU DO NOT HAVE ACCESS" MESSAGE UNTIL AN ADMIN HAS APPROVED YOUR APPLICATION. WE ATTEMPT TO APPROVE APPLICATIONS AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE AFTER THEY ARE VALIDATED.

Thank you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
5/5/17 Variety AMERICAN IDOL TO RETURN BUT TO ABC
Topic Started: May 6 2017, 07:00 AM (77 Views)
mouser
Member Avatar

HOMETVNEWS
‘American Idol’: Deal in Place at ABC to Revive Competition Series (EXCLUSIVE)

Daniel Holloway
Senior TV Reporter

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/american-idol-abc-1202410691/

'American Idol': Deal in Place at
MAY 5, 2017 | 03:03PM PT
ABC has a deal in place with producers FremantleMedia and Core Media Group to revive “American Idol.”

The broadcast network and the production companies have settled on a framework for an agreement to bring back the long-running singing-competition series. According to sources, the Alphabet is eyeing a March premiere for the show, which would potentially air on Sunday nights, where ABC has struggled in recent seasons against NBC’s “Sunday Night Football” and programming on Fox and CBS that benefits from a strong NFL lead-in. The Alphabet is the only broadcaster of the Big Four that does not have an NFL package.

Yet to be decided is whether or how longtime host Ryan Seacrest could return to the franchise. Seacrest this week was announced as the new co-host of ABC syndicated morning program “Live!” with Kelly Ripa. He is relocating to New York for the role — a move that presents a substantial obstacle to a return as host of “Idol,” which has always filmed in Los Angeles.

ABC, which has yet to close the deal, had passed on “Idol” after hearing a pitch for it earlier this year. At that time, as Variety reported exclusively, NBC had emerged as the lead network to pick up a revival being shopped by FremantleMedia, which has insisted on a minimum 25-hour order from any broadcast partner.

But the Peacock backed away from a deal, concerned that “Idol” could negatively impact singing competition series “The Voice,” and turned off by a high asking price from the producer. The ABC deal would preclude the involvement of original judge Simon Cowell, who was rumored to be a possibility to rejoin the show at NBC, where he produces “America’s Got Talent” and has an exclusive agreement.

One potential name that has been floated to join the revived series is that of Kelly Clarkson, the singer who won the first season of “Idol” and went on to achieve pop-star status with hits such as “Since U Been Gone.”

ABC, which works with FremantleMedia on “Celebrity Family Feud” and “Match Game,” took another look at “Idol” last month while mapping out contingency plans for a possible strike by the Writers Guild of America. Broadcast and cable networks in the weeks leading up to the strike devoted a significant amount of time and energy to exploring what unscripted programming could be greenlit or expanded in the event of a strike.

To land the show, ABC had to outbid Fox, which moved aggressively in recent weeks to bring the series back to its air. “Idol” ran on Fox for 15 seasons beginning in 2002. For eight consecutive seasons, beginning in 2003-04, it was the highest-rated show on television. At its peak in 2006, “American Idol” averaged a 12.4 rating among in the 18-49 demographic and 36.4 million total viewers, according to Nielsen live-plus-same day numbers.

Ratings began to decline steeply in the show’s later years, to the point that Fox decided that it no longer represented a worthwhile financial or scheduling commitment. (The series aired two nights a week, typically beginning in midseason.) The final season in 2016 averaged a 2.2 and 9.1 million viewers. Those numbers were far diminished from what the show drew in its heyday, but they remain respectable by contemporary standards, with delayed viewing and increased competition applying downward pressure on live ratings across television.

ABC is expected to announce the return of “Idol” this month at its upfront presentation in New York.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mouser
Member Avatar

Taylor's Apology on TMZ

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_6l7w7l1p/

mouser
Member Avatar

Ryan Seacrest will return to host 'American Idol' reboot on ABC
AOL.COM EDITORS
Jul 20th 2017 9:41AM
https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2017/07/20/ryan-seacrest-will-return-to-host-american-idol-reboot-on-abc/23039354/

Seacrest ... in!

Ryan Seacrest said he's set to host the "American Idol" reboot on ABC, he announced Thursday on "Live With Kelly and Ryan."

The 42-year-old media personality hosted the original "American Idol" for 15 seasons -- from 2002 to 2016 -- when it aired on Fox.

"It's genuinely hard to put into words what American Idol means to me," he said in a statement. "I'm so grateful for the show and all the career and life opportunities it's allowed me to experience. It's been an incredible journey from day one. To be asked to return this year, at my new home at Disney|ABC, is an honor, if not a bit surreal. I believe ABC is the perfect home for 'Idol,' and I've every confidence the show's legions of fans will love it -- especially 'Idol's' best traditions of showcasing heartwarming stories, remarkable talent discovery, and, best of all, making dreams come true."

The announcement comes after months of speculation on whether Seacrest would sign on to do the show or not, considering he's already got a lot on his plate with his co-hosting duties on "Live!" and his morning radio show "On Air with Ryan Seacrest."

Seacrest currently lives in New York City, and because "Idol" is filmed in Los Angeles, he would have to adhere to a strict schedule that would involve flying coast-to-coast on a weekly basis.

"I had said at the end of the series, 'Goodbye for now,' hoping somewhere it would come back," he explained on "Live!"

Seacrest will join Katy Perry, who signed a massive $25 million contract to be a judge, on the show. It's still unknown who else will join Perry at the judge's table, but plenty of names like Lionel Richie and "Idol" alum Carrie Underwood have been thrown around.

mouser
Member Avatar

ABC’S ‘AMERICAN IDOL’ REBOOT GETS PREMIERE DATE

http://peopleschoice.com/2017/11/06/abc-announces-american-idol-reboot-premiere-date/?cmpid=emn-110617-enewsletter-button-featured-1&utm_param=newsletter&user_email_address=&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter%2071&utm_term=Complete%20Verified%20List%20%2B%20New%20Subscribers%20%2811/6/17%29

The wait is finally over! ABC’s American Idol reboot has a premiere date!

On Monday (Nov. 6), Ryan Seacrest, who will be reprising his role as the show’s host for the ABC reboot, announced on Live With Kelly and Ryan that American Idol is coming this spring. It will premiere on March 11, 2018 and run every Sunday at 8 p.m. so mark your calendars now.

In addition to Seacrest’s morning talk show announcement, all three judges for the rebooted American Idol, which include, Katy Perry, Luke Bryan and Lionel Richie shared the news on social media, which is getting fans even more excited for the reality competition’s return.

“It’s easy like Sunday evening!” Richie posted on Twitter along with a video of him talking about the premiere date.

Perry on the other hand took a more direct route in her announcement and added a fun photo of the four celebs attached to the singing competition series. “☑ your calendars 🇺🇸 let’s find an IDOL❗” the “Dark Horse” singer wrote alongside the date and time of the show’s start.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://tasteofcountry.com/american-idol-2018-premiere-date/

The American Idol reboot officially has a premiere date. The 2018 edition of the much-loved series will debut on a Sunday night, March 11, at 8PM ET on ABC. Longtime AI host Ryan Seacrest shared the news on Live With Kelly and Ryan 0n Monday (Nov. 6).
Country fans will get to watch Luke Bryan in action when he takes to the judges panel alongside fellow superstars Katy Perry and Lionel Richie. Auditions for the show kicked off in August, hitting 23 cities in states from Oregon to Florida. Fans were also able to audition online via social media and a livestream platform

Where Are Country's Idol Finalists Now?

Carrie Underwood is still the reigning princess of country music, which started when she won Season 4 of American Idol. During the finale, the now-superstar sang the Rascal Flatts tune "Bless the Broken Road" and stole everyone's hearts. The 32-year-old went on to marry her prince, Mike Fisher, and became a mom in 2015. But she keeps finding success with each powerful country single. Most recently, Underwood released her album Storyteller. The album boasts a single called "Heartbeat," a collaboration with Sam Hunt.
Image 1 of 12
"I’m excited at the chance to help some deserving artists reach their dreams. To be in a position in my career to help facilitate this along with the other judges is just a complete honor. It’s gonna be a blast!" Bryan says about this opportunity.
Carrie Underwood, Scotty McCreery, Lauren Alaina and Taylor Hicks are just a few of the stars who have launched their careers through the reality show, and Hicks is fully on board with Bryan as a judge. "I love Luke, he’s a great guy, and I think he’ll be a great judge. Because I really do think he has the best interests of the contestants at heart, and that’s what you want from a judge," he tells Taste of Country Nights. "Obviously, I was a contestant on that show, and what I really loved the most was when I could feel the sincerity from the judges, and they really had my best interests at heart. I think Luke will have that all the way."
Bryan is up for the biggest award of the night, Entertainer of the Year, at the 2017 CMA Awards. The show airs live from Bridgestone Arena in Nashville on Wednesday (Nov. 8) at 8PM ET on ABC.

mouser
Member Avatar

SO, AMERICAN IDOL IS COMING BACK
FEBRUARY 25, 2018 MICHAEL NOBLE

ABC http://hotchka.com/american-idol-returns-abc

I’m a music man.

I always have been. (Yes … I used “always.”)

I be-bopped as a toddler, I sang and danced as a kid at home and in school plays, I harmonized with my mother on “Moonlight Bay” and others countless times, I played air guitar in the 5th grade during a talent show to Five Man Electrical Band’s “Signs”. I had a record player I wore out spinning 45s of “Black Magic Woman”, “American Pie” and “Alley Oop” and dozens of others. I was introduced to Bowie very young, I hummed along to my father’s Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline and Freddy Fender tunes played on the console incessantly. Disco was a new thing to me, I discovered The Cars and Devo in high school and the 80s ushered in not only an overwhelming amount of interesting, intriguing music (though, I’m told my examples of 80s music is vastly different to my better half’s version) but it was the beginning of my love affair with live music at iconic L.A. venues such as The Roxy, Whiskey A Go Go and Hollywood Palladium among many, many others.

Fast forward to the new millennium and Fox Television’s American Idol. Interestingly enough, I didn’t give it any viewing time during its first couple of years; in fact, I didn’t begin watching until the end of its 4th season. But by the time the 5th season of the show rolled around, I was hooked. It was the year I was stunned by a bevy of unlikely but hopeful performers: Mandisa, Katharine McPhee, Elliot Yamin, Chris Daughtry and – one of my favorites – Taylor Hicks.

The thing that really struck me about Hicks from the get go, something I’ve mentioned many, many times, was his audition. If you haven’t seen it, here it is:

Question: Was that an American Idol top ten caliber audition? No. Worthy of placement in, let’s say, the upper 25 tryouts in the history of the show? Probably not.

But it’s the one that grabbed me most of all during that 5th season. Because it was heartfelt, honest, raw and came from deep down. When he accommodated Paula Abdul with those “few seconds of something else” well … boom. I don’t care who you are, that was some good stuff going on right there.

Hicks would not only go on to shine brightly on quite a few performances during his tenure (along with some stumbles) but ended up coming out on top when all was said and done in 2006 (coincidentally AI’s highest rated season).

Thereafter, I caught every episode of American Idol right on up through the penultimate term of the show, reviewing a number of seasons when I was with CliqueClack. I saw it reach incredible heights in viewership (25-30 million viewers during its 5th through 8th seasons) before starting to take a dip in ratings, finally becoming somewhat a shadow of its former self, an average 11.3 million viewers overall during its final 3 years. Format changes, judge shuffling and more juggled the show in an effort to keep the spark alive but, despite the fact it held completely respectable Neilsen numbers, it continued to drop in popularity. The likes of new blood such as The Voice – with a completely different format and fresh approach – didn’t help matters, either. (Note: I watched that first season of The Voice and was intrigued … but I quickly lost interest and didn’t follow up on any further viewing. It didn’t hold the same punch for me that Idol did.)

It was announced 2016 would be the show’s swan song year. Many were melancholy when the word came. But just as many believed it had run its course years before.

But what a megashow Idol was during its heyday, from 2006 through 2011. As someone who digs music it was a fun program to catch and critique. And I thoroughly enjoyed waxing poetic about it, interacting with other fans and debating who was up for ouster week in and week out.

And interestingly enough? Here it comes again, courtesy of ABC, which is resurrecting it from its short demise. Per ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey: “American Idol is a pop culture staple that left the air too soon.” It’s an unusual move and we’ll find out quickly what Dungey says is true, if it still has any sustainability left.

As a music aficionado and fan of the show my interest is piqued, if nothing else from the bravado of bringing back to light when it was assumed it was dead in the water. I can dream the new incarnation will yield something akin to that nifty Hick’s audition. As a fan, you’d like to see lightning strike once again. But the reality of the situation is it rarely does.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see what happens with ABC’s version of the show. Same format? Unknown. But different judges — Katy Perry, Luke Bryan and Lionel Ritchie — and the return of Ryan Seacrest, even with everything else he’s involved with, may bring a certain familiarity to the process. But will the public be receptive to its revival? Can it do anything ratings wise?

Or will it simply tank, a hopeful pipe dream, something that never should have been dug up?

This music man is curious …

American Idol premieres Sunday, March 11 at 8:00 PM on ABC.

ABC

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Fox Network Singing Competition · Next Topic »
Add Reply