Site Meter
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TTHC News Discography On Stage Timeline Doubletake Biography Fan Spotlight
We hope you enjoy your visit. We welcome all guests and sincerely hope you will join us and experience what being a member of our home offers! This includes full access to all of our boards and exclusives, plus full access to our vast media library. Once you become a member, you log in to Connections and all of our features are yours to explore and enjoy.

PLEASE READ: WHEN YOU REQUEST MEMBERSHIP, THIS DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY GIVE YOU ACCESS TO THE BOARD. MEMBERSHIP REQUIRES ADMIN APPROVAL, WHICH IS NOT IMMEDIATE. YOU WILL STILL GET THE "YOU DO NOT HAVE ACCESS" MESSAGE UNTIL AN ADMIN HAS APPROVED YOUR APPLICATION. WE ATTEMPT TO APPROVE APPLICATIONS AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE AFTER THEY ARE VALIDATED.

Thank you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
BIRMINGHAM, AL Workplay Theatre 12/9/10
Topic Started: Oct 23 2010, 01:01 PM (3,727 Views)
mouser
Member Avatar

December 9, 2010 Thursday 8:00 PM

Workplay Theatre
500 23RD St S

Birmingham, AL 35233
(205) 879-4773

TICKETS: Go on Sale now $25, on sale at 205-380-4082 or the WorkPlay website.
a $3.00 charge will be collected at the WorkPlay Theatre door from all ticket holders under the age of 21.
This show will have limited seating for patrons 21+ only.

http://www.workplay.com/purchase-ticket/

SEATING CAPACITY: 250 and around 400 for stand-only GENERAL ADMISSION

SEATING CHART: Chairs and tables are available around the periphery of the standing room only "dance" floor. Seating in on the ground floor where the stage is located and on an upper level overlooking the stage and "dance" floor.

THE VENUE:

Posted Image
WorkPlay – where creative minds meet for Work and Play.

Posted Image

Inspired by the simple formula of work + play, the Hunter Brothers dedicated time, resources and money to create the premiere entertainment complex in the Southeast. After examining countless possibilities of names for the building - the Trout Farm, the Really Creative Factory, Entertainment Is Us, to name a few – they settled on the two concepts right under their nose. WorkPlay was born in Autumn, 2001.

Posted Image

Featuring the newest and most progressive technologies for both work and play, the facility is home to a live performance theatre, two recording studios, a 5,250 square foot sound stage, a creative office village, and a dynamic bar.Posted Image

Whatever your imagination demands, WorkPlay is your launching pad. It is designed to inspire creative endeavors and support collaboration, WorkPlay is a canvas for all things commercial and entertainment related.

Combining the market's most dynamic audio equipment, concert hall acoustics, state-of-the-art lighting, and expandable, multi-tiered cabaret seating, WorkPlay Theatre is a performance space unrivaled in the Southeast.

Boasting two separate and acoustically isolated recording studios, with adjacent Iso rooms, WorkPlay Studios offers clients the cutting edge of live music technology,

Posted Image

including:
• 48 track digital live recording, direct from the WorkPlay Theater
• ProTools posting, editing, and mixing with 5.1 surround
• Emagic Logic MIDI music environment
• Fully wired rooms for live recording and webcasts
• Music and dialogue capabilities for film/video
• Offline video editing

The Cabaret-style theatre seats a comfortable 250; standing room only, as many as 400 have seen artists like Maroon 5, Clint Black, Colin Hay, Tower of Power, Gavin Degraw, The Decemberists and Robert Cray grace the WorkPlay stage. More than just a music venue, WorkPlay has showcased the latest independent films, magic acts, live theatre, poetry slams, comedy improve, etc. If it can be staged - it's been at WorkPlay Theatre. WorkPlay Theatre is also available to rent for private screenings, corporate and private events, presentations, lectures, company retreats, annual meetings - even birthday parties.

DIRECTIONS : http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&ie=UTF8&z=15&om=1&iwloc=addr&q=500 23rd St. South, 35233, Birmingham, AL, United States

HOTELS AND RESTAURANTS:
Residence Inn Birmingham Downtown at UAB | 0.4 miles
Real Traveler Rating: 5.0 out of 5 based on 1 review from 1 source

Recommended by real travelers from $95.20 Service: Location: Room:
" I was there for an interview at UAB, and the location was perfect for that." — source Orbitz
Doubletree Hotel Birmingham | 0.4 miles
Real Traveler Rating: 3.9 out of 5 based on 10 reviews from 3 sources

Recommended by real travelers from $87.96 Service: Location: Room:
"Overall a good experience." — source Priceline

"a nice, clean hotel convenient to downtown with a Starbucks across the street." — source Travelocity
Courtyard Birmingham Downtown At Uab | 0.4 miles
Real Traveler Rating: 4.5 out of 5 based on 5 reviews from 2 sources

Recommended by real travelers from $108.20 Service: Location: Room:
" It is a great place to stay if you are visiting UAB." — source Travelocity

"Hotel was very nice." — source Priceline
Hotel Highland at Five Points | 0.6 miles
Real Traveler Rating: 4.4 out of 5 based on 96 reviews from 4 sources

Highly Recommended by real travelers from $84.57 Service: Location: Room:
"I though that the hotel over all was really very nice and clean, with great staff, the only thing that I didn't really care for was the bathroom was really small!" — source Priceline

" Room was very clean." — source Orbitz
The Redmont Hotel | 0.8 miles
Real Traveler Rating: 4.2 out of 5 based on 155 reviews from 3 sources

Highly Recommended by real travelers from $81.74 Service: Location: Room:
"If you plan on going down town to the clubs, this hotel is in a great place." — source Orbitz

" The valet, and staff were so friendly." — source Expedia
Cobb Lane Bed and Breakfast | 0.8 miles from $71.20 A BEAUTIFULLY RESTORED 1898 VICTORIAN INN ON THE NATIONALHISTORIC REGISTRY OFFERING 2 SUITES AND 5 ROOMS ININDIVIDUALLY DECORATED ACCOMMODATIONS IN A SMALL DELUXEHOTEL SETTING. A FULL HOT COOKED BREAKFAST IS INCLUDED DAILY7AM W... more
Hampton Inn And Suites Birmingham Downtown | 1.0 miles
Real Traveler Rating: 3.5 out of 5 based on 179 reviews from 2 sources

Recommended by real travelers from $92.07 Service: Location: Room:
"Very nice hotel with a very nice staff." — source Priceline

" Great bedding and linens." — source Travelocity

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gr8fulheart
Member Avatar

How I would love to be there. I always here such good reports about WorkPlay.
For everyone who is attending; Have A Great Time! :gh

mouser
Member Avatar

Taylor Hicks returning to Birmingham for WorkPlay concert

Published: Monday, October 25, 2010, 8:02 PM

Mary Colurso -- The Birmingham News

Taylor Hicks appeared on a TV special to benefit the Gulf Coast.

Birmingham's Taylor Hicks will be back in his hometown on Dec. 9 for a concert at the WorkPlay theater.

Tickets for the 8 p.m. show are $25, on sale at 205-380-4082 or the WorkPlay website.

Hicks, 34, a soul-pop singer and former "American Idol" winner, is touring this fall with a band that includes some of his longtime friends and colleagues from the local music scene.

Members of the Little Memphis Blues Orchestra, such as keyboard player Brian Less, are part of the team.

On his website, Hicks pays tribute to Birmingham drummer and former bandmate Matt Kimbrell, who died recently at age 51.

"There are no words to express the sudden loss of our brother," Hicks writes. "He was a great friend, teacher and purveyor of the musical spirit and creativity."

Hicks' agenda for next year includes a guest spot on Jam Cruise 9. The floating music festival runs Jan. 4-9 and features acts such as Bob Weir and Rob Wasserman, Robert Randolph, Rhythm Devils, Galactic, Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk and Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears.

http://blog.al.com/mcolurso/2010/10/taylor_hicks_returns_to_birmin.html

Oldiebutgoodie
Member Avatar

So long as work schedule permits, Jazzy and I will be there and will recap for you guys as we can.

mouser
Member Avatar

Hicks' Dec. 9 show at Birmingham's WorkPlay theater also has a link to the holiday season. He's asking concertgoers to bring children's gifts that will donated to the Marine Toys For Tots Foundation.

mouser
Member Avatar

MEDIA BLITZ:

Wednesday 11/17/10 DOWNLOAD AND MORE CAPS AVAILABLE ON THE MEDIA BOARD

Talk of Alabama : 9to10AM discussing his upcoming Workplay concert & Toys for Tots drive

http://www.cbs42.com/content/wakeup/default.aspx

» TalkofAlabama: We had a packed studio today! Taylor Hicks was on the show and jammed out a few songs for both our TV and Studio audience.

Jeff Lopez and Brian Less accompanied Taylor to the Studio

INTERVIEW:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PERFORMANCE :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

TALK OF ALABAMA COOKING SEGMENT "In the Kitchen"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image\

Posted Image

mouser
Member Avatar

An ad for TOYS FOR TOTS broadcast on ABC3340 by Taylor DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE IN MEDIA VAULT http://z15.invisionfree.com/TaylorMade/index.php?showtopic=6452&st=0&#entry9260133

Posted Image

Posted Image

mouser
Member Avatar

CARSON JAMES opening for Taylor in Birmingham

Posted Image

Music is my life. It’s who i am, and has always been an important part of me. I began focusing on one day having a career in music a few years ago and began writing songs not long after that. Then, after picking five of my favorites, I started recording them on my laptop at my house. With the help of a few friends, the support of my mom and other family members, and seven months of long, hard work, I completed my first EP album in the spring of 2010, and entitled it “Patience EP”. I began selling copies to close friends and family members and slowly began trying to get my music out into the public. Shortly after, an extreme, eye opening obstacle hit me. In August, i was diagnosed with stage four bone cancer. My life, already filled with music, friends, and school, was now also consumed with hospital visits and chemotherapy treatments. More about my diagnosis and my progress with treatment at caringbridge/visit/carsonsumpter. so as my life has drastically changed with my fight against cancer, my music has become a much needed factor in my fight. It has kept me going and will continue to as I play and write. I hope my story and music can serve as an inspiration to many people as i continue through this journey and my life as an artist. Thank you to all of you and I hope you enjoy the site. God Bless!
from Carson James webpage

Posted Image

san
Member Avatar

An Update on Toys for Tots in Birmingham AL.

There are many drop off places in Alabama and pledges are being accepted which will go to buy toys:

"Toys 4 Tots - Up Date...

Up Date & Details:
In B'ham we have pledges for &35 -$40,000 and expecting About $10,000
more which will all be spent on toys.
Plus we expect 1,000's of toys at our drop off locations...
Drop off locations include the following:
All Birmingham New Car Dealerships...

All Applebee's & Up The Creek locations...

Plus dozens of other locations set up by M&M Adv Agency, Radio & TV
stations...
+
Townsend Automotive in Tuscaloosa,
Devan Lowe in Gadsden
&
Premiere Chevrolet in Bessemer.

We have huge promotional schedules with our Media Partners...
ABC 33/40 & Cox Radio.

Check out ABC33/40's website.

We have Parties & Events !!!!

The Kick Off luncheon with the Marines was great... Chicken &
Dumplins... OMG!

Next:
Family night 12 / 8th @ Applebees ...

Taylor Hicks live @ WorkPlay 12 / 9th

Comedian "Etta May" on 12 / 14th @ the Stardom Comedy Club.
Thanks Bruce!

Toy Shopping night @Walmart with the Marines ...
12 / 15....@ 6pm

Iron Horse Party on 12 /16th... 6pm
With "Naked Rodeo" , Marines & guest ...hopefully Taylor Hicks...
"Bikers to News Anchors" a crazy mix of people all together to rase
money and Toys...

25 hour Toy Drive... This event starts @ the same time the Iron Horse
party starts ....Thursday 12/16 @5pm
ABC33/40 sets up @ Applesbee's ...
ABC33/40 Celebrities will be live on camera till 6pm Friday... 25
hours...

Last year over 10,000 toys were collected durning this 25 hour period at
Applebee's. Thanks to James Span & his Christmas Sweater.

The Marines will be @ every event...

Hope to see You this year @ one or all of these events. "

This is the Toys for Tots Foundation donation webpage:

http://www.toysfortots.org/donate/default.asp

mouser
Member Avatar

Support HEAL Alabama and meet Taylor Hicks!

Taylor has donated 2 tickets to the December 9 performance at Workplay PLUS a meet and greet before the show!!!! Help Alabama's children to fight obesity, diabetes, heart disease, hypertension and other health problems through this elementary school physical education wellness program. Go to the website www.healalabama.org and make a bid. The auction closes Tuesday, December 7! Thanks so much for your support!

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.healalabama.org/

mouser
Member Avatar

Carson James and Taylor Hicks Interview with ABC TV in B'ham DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE ON MEDIA BOARD

http://www.abc3340.com/global/category.asp?c=189742&autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=5358298&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pelham teenager will open for Taylor Hicks at WorkPlay

Dec 07, 2010 4:08 PM EST

It's the chance of a lifetime for an aspiring musician to play alongside an idol. Thursday, a 16-year old fighting cancer will open at WorkPlay for Taylor Hicks. The opportunity couldn't have come sooner.

In the empty music venue, Taylor Hicks shared music, advice, and laughs with Carson James- the young Pelham musician who Hicks personally choose to open for him Thursday at WorkPlay.

"I know what it feels like to try to get your music out there, and I also know how hard it is to get your music out there and get your stuff heard," said Hicks.

James remembers the day Hicks called him about the gig.

"I get this call, and he says, 'can you open for me?' I say, 'I think I can fit it in my schedule,'" said James.

It's quite a schedule for a high school student. In addition to playing in the marching band and cutting a CD, he's also battling stage four osteosarcoma. He was diagnosed with the bone cancer in July. He's undergone chemotherapy to fight the disease that's spread throughout his body.

"Just feeding my soul and playing music and hanging out and making the most of life I can," said James.

On Thursday night, the determined musician will fulfill one of his dreams when he strikes a chord on the stage to play alongside an idol.

James will open the show at 8 p.m. Thursday and will be joined by Hicks. Hicks will play a few songs with James than continue.

Tickets are 25 dollars and are available online and at the door. There is a convenience fee to purchase the tickets through WorkPlay's website. There is also a three dollar fee at the door for people under 21.
http://www.abc3340.com/Global/story.asp?S=13632372

mouser
Member Avatar

More Media Blitz RICK AND BUBBA ARE A BLAST DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE ON MEDIA BOARD

Posted ImageStudio Shot credit to Rick and Bubba Show

Taylor is on The Rick and Bubba Show 12/8/10 8:00 AM EST

1. The whole band is there . Brian, Brandon, Jeff, Sam , Leif

2. Toys for Tots will benefit from Workplay performance

3. Talks a little about Grease. Taylor is not playing Spiderman on Broadway??? Huh LOL

4. He makes the most of every moment " Taking mental snapshots"

5. Rick tells a story from Jr. High Basketball ( Coach Breland) . Taylor never took a normal shot ....

6. Christmas shops online.

7. Talks about Clint Eastwood calling . Taylor hung up on him , but he called back.

8. Talks about when Willie Nelson asked him to come on stage and sing at Red Rock

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Played Nineteen and Seven Mile Breakdown

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Stream of the Show

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/11319834

PART 1

PART 2

mouser
Member Avatar

From THN tweetpic.

Posted Image

mouser
Member Avatar

OBG is on the road again and found this truck : Is it an inadvertent add for Taylor's performance this evening.

Posted Image

mouser
Member Avatar

SOUNDCHECK : Tweet by Taylor

Posted Image

mouser
Member Avatar

Carson James performing as the opener for Taylor

Posted Imagecredit to anothertayfan

mouser
Member Avatar

OBG 's recap of the evening
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-My Recap: Taylor and the "Old Reindeer"

Jazzy and I arrived at WorkPlay about twenty minutes early and immediately donated our Toys for Tots, located and bought three special WP Taylor TShirts, and found good seats with Ragsqueen and company. I spied Dr. Hicks and other friends about two tables away. I met mond105 and her friend at the next table and got together briefly with hickifino.

We had brought gifts for Taylor and the band for the holidays-the MSP had some 1970's candies, an SEC CHampionship Auburn Tshirt, a Smoky Robinson greatest hits CD and an inspirational Christmas ornament. Jazzy and her daughter Tinkerbell had their own gift-Jazzy made some homemade red velvet cupcakes with green icing and peppermint sprinkles, and Tinkerbell added a stuffed raccoon that played the harmonica. I took these to one of the Event Staffers and they were delivered immediately. Funny-I was kinda hoping for Jazzy's sake that Taylor would thank her for the cupcakes, but he didn't.

Anyway, the show started with Carson James. He's good-talented beyond his years. He did about 35 minutes-then brought Taylor out to duet with him on "Suspicion". Taylor was wearing his standard stage uniform-jeans, a gray shirt and brown boots.

There was about a 15 minute intermission then Taylor' s portion began with LTOYW, followed by WRIR and he messed up the lyrics on the first verse-the SECOND LINE-but it was still great. When it came tag time he said "We're gonna get down". The crowd roared. Taylor repeated it more forcefully-like a preacher making his point-"Did you guys hear what I said? We gonna GET DOWN!!" We roared louder-he did it a THIRD time!! He then started tagging the chorus of WRIR and had US sing the "What's right is right" line in a call and response pattern. Unique.

I don't remember them all in order-but he did the usual setlist-19, MYS, Battlefield, added "Soul Thing" with a bluesy "Eastbound and Down", and I was thrilled when he did "Back to Louisiana".

A real and once in a lifetime thrill and total surprise happened midway through the show. Taylor talked about how musically talented Bham was and how he found out "Hmm-this guy went to Huffman (high school)-I went to Hoover. I can what that dude can do"--then he introduced RUBEN STUDDARD and they did "Woman's Gotta Have It". The crowd loudly roared their approval. I thought "Gee what a lifetime moment-BOTH Alabama AI winners on stage together and grooving and thrilling the crowd!!" IT was special-and over too soon.

Taylor finished out the regular set with SMB with tags-I think "Running on Empty".

The encore was a three song deal-the first one was "AIn't Gonna Hurt Nobody"-the second one was one dedicated to the Bham faithful who stood by him-but its one I didn't know-and he ended with "Bulletproof".

For the encore he came out wearing his special edition Bham Toys for Tots tshirt.

We stood in line to get our yellow tshirts from summer tour and our 2011 Taylor calendars autographed. Jazzy also had a Taylor Hohner harp to get signed to give to hubs for Christmas. While in line I saw ATF, JulieGr and Diane. Jazzy and I donned a special Christmas surprise for Taylor that we hoped would make him laugh. It did.

When we came up to get everything signed-Jazzy first-Taylor looked at her and just started laughing-calling her "Old Prancer"-because she was wearing a reindeer headband that flashed red lights when you touched the headband-from that first shout out he kept quoting all the reindeer names-especially Dancer, Prancer and Blitzen. (He called me "Old Blitzen cuz I had on an Auburn Santa Hat and told him "This is what I want for Christmas".) A kindly gentleman took our FunSaver and took the pic with Jazzy and me there on either side of Taylor. HE pushed the button on the headband to get it flashing prior to the pic. He was in the zone. Since things had been going pretty smoothly but very uneventfully, this proved to be the "moment" of the night.

After the pic, (We had our arms around him again)- THIS time at WorkPlay he wasn't shaking from being tired-he was in his sweaty concert shirt and I felt the sweat-he wasn't worn out and was having fun. I
looked right at him, gave him a big hug and said "Taylor have a wonderful Christmas-and don't eat all those cupcakes she made at once!!" He smiled and said "Oh they're already gone" and winked as we left for home.

I videoed almost the whole show and will upload ASAP. Not too many stills this time from me-but whatever Jazzy and I got will get uploaded shortly.

It was a great night in Taylorville as usual. Thanks for reading.

mouser
Member Avatar

Carson James at Workplay from THN via skeeter

Two Twitvids from Skeeter for THN

Battlefield

EastBound and Down Tag

Posted Imagecredit to Meredith Breit

Posted Imagecredit to JewelsSoul

mouser
Member Avatar

Meredith Briet twitvids Maybe You Should

mouser
Member Avatar

A WOMEN'S GOTTA HAVE IT with Ruben Studdard courtesy of hickifinoe or OBG

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Live From Birmingham Redeux 2010 · Next Topic »
Add Reply