Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
What does "exotic" really mean?; Unusual beauty or just a darker person?
Topic Started: Dec 14 2008, 03:02 AM (9,158 Views)
Trog
Sui generis

I challenge the meaning of exotic being used as a tag to imply "non-white".

Let's use two US models. One white, one black. In my opinion, exotic seems more fitting for the white model. Because it means exquisite beauty.

Posted Image
Posted Image
FaerieQueen

Trog is a wretched woman with a bitchy attitude who should have been banned long ago.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Crimson Guard
Member Avatar
Pro Member
Exotic

Quote:

1: introduced from another country : not native to the place where found <exotic plants
2:archaic : foreign , alien
3: strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual <exotic flavors

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/exotic

Exotic in old hollywood meant definition number 3 primarily, today it could be a nice way of saying "Mixed-ethnic/racial-background".
Posted Image

Delilah
Member Avatar
DELILAH
Trog
Dec 14 2008, 03:02 AM
I challenge the meaning of exotic being used as a tag to imply "non-white".

Let's use two US models. One white, one black. In my opinion, exotic seems more fitting for the white model. Because it means exquisite beauty.

Posted Image
Posted Image
I don't see anything "exotic" about either one; they both look typical for their race. The word "exotic" if used as "exquisite beauty" is subjective, as someone else may feel that the Black girl is "the exquisite beauty."

Trog, methinks I have found my debate match in you! :biggrin:
Edited by Delilah, Dec 14 2008, 03:21 AM.
"Let nothing disturb you. Let nothing frighten you. All things pass. God does not change. Patience achieves everything. Whoever has God lacks nothing. God alone suffices." St. Teresa of Avila

Trog
Sui generis
Thank you, Crimson. "Exotic" is being used here by Delilah as a covert word to imply non-white.
FaerieQueen

Trog is a wretched woman with a bitchy attitude who should have been banned long ago.

Delilah
Member Avatar
DELILAH
Trog
Dec 14 2008, 03:22 AM
Thank you, Crimson. "Exotic" is being used here by Delilah as a covert word to imply non-white.
I believe Crimson also said that today that word could also mean a polite way to suggest "racially-mixed."
"Let nothing disturb you. Let nothing frighten you. All things pass. God does not change. Patience achieves everything. Whoever has God lacks nothing. God alone suffices." St. Teresa of Avila

Delilah
Member Avatar
DELILAH
Trog if you say Kate Moss is "exotic" and the definition means "unusual". In what way is Kate unusual?
Edited by Delilah, Dec 14 2008, 03:30 AM.

Trog
Sui generis
Delilah

I believe Crimson also said that today that word could also mean a polite way to suggest "racially-mixed."

Is that how you would use it?
Edited by Trog, Dec 14 2008, 03:32 AM.
FaerieQueen

Trog
Sui generis
Delilah
Dec 14 2008, 03:29 AM
Trog if you say Kate Moss is "exotic" and you say that means "unusual". In what way is Kate unusual?
Delilah, I've explained what I mean by exotic. Exquisite and unique beauty by anyone's standard. Kate Moss is completely white to me, and British, as is CZ Jones. But both are exotic because of their beauty, not because I suspect anything lurking in their gene pool. Capisce?

ANd CG, if you've looked a thread,can you let me know.
FaerieQueen

Delilah
Member Avatar
DELILAH
Trog
Delilah
Dec 14 2008, 03:27 AM
Trog
Dec 14 2008, 03:22 AM
Delilah"

Is that how you would use it?
Yes, in some cases it is a polite way to suggest racially mixed. Example: Megan Fox is referred to as that "exotic" beauty. And she does have some Native-American ancestry. When used for someone who is known to be White, it doesn't mean non-White. It just means someone who is not the usual type for their nationality.

Crimson Guard
Member Avatar
Pro Member
This thread was not locked!
Posted Image

Delilah
Member Avatar
DELILAH
Trog
Dec 14 2008, 03:31 AM
Delilah
Trog if you say Kate Moss is "exotic" and you say that means "unusual". In what way is Kate unusual?
Delilah, I've explained what I mean by exotic. Exquisite and unique beauty by anyone's standard. Kate Moss is completely white to me, and British, as is CZ Jones. But both are exotic because of their beauty, not because I suspect anything lurking in their gene pool. Capisce?

ANd CG, if you've looked a thread,can you let me know.
But Trog, there a lot of women out there who are beautiful but they are not labeled as "exotic." You didn't answer my question. In what way is Kate Moss "exotic=unusual"?

Posted Image

Why is Megan Fox not just called beautiful? Why must she be called that "exotic" beauty?
Edited by Delilah, Dec 14 2008, 03:45 AM.

Trog
Sui generis
"Delilah"

]Yes, in some cases it is a polite way to suggest racially mixed. Example: Megan Fox is referred to as that "exotic" beauty. And she does have some Native-American ancestry. When used for someone who is known to be White, it doesn't mean non-White. It just means someone who is not the usual type for their nationality.

That still doesn't make much sense. Because if you saw someone that looked white but you didn't know their nationality, then how do you know if you would consider them exotic? Does it work if you see someone like vanessa Lorenzo, a blonde Spaniard? ANd Megan Fox is beautiful, but not beautiful enough to be considered exotic by me. She's not that unusual looking.

Posted Image[/quote]
Edited by Trog, Dec 14 2008, 03:49 AM.
FaerieQueen

Delilah
Member Avatar
DELILAH
I wouldn't say she is "exotic" either as not all Spainards have dark hair and eyes.

I've explained myself as best I can with examples. If you don't want to see my perspective that's fine as I don't think this is such an "issue" as you want to make it.

Delilah
Member Avatar
DELILAH
Trog
Dec 14 2008, 03:46 AM
"Delilah"

]Yes, in some cases it is a polite way to suggest racially mixed. Example: Megan Fox is referred to as that "exotic" beauty. And she does have some Native-American ancestry. When used for someone who is known to be White, it doesn't mean non-White. It just means someone who is not the usual type for their nationality.

That still doesn't make much sense. Because if you saw someone that looked white but you didn't know their nationality, then how do you know if you would consider them exotic? Does it work if you see someone like vanessa Lorenzo, a blonde Spaniard? ANd Megan Fox is beautiful, but not beautiful enough to be considered exotic by me. She's not that unusual looking.

Posted Image
[/quote]

Whether you think Megan Fox is not "exotic" is your opinion. I certainly have seen here described that way in magazines. So why do you think they call her "exotic"? Might not they be referring to her Native-American ancestry?
Edited by Delilah, Dec 14 2008, 03:57 AM.

Trog
Sui generis
Delilah"

You didn't answer my question. In what way is Kate Moss "exotic=unusual"?

I did answer the question on Kate Moss, you've just overlooked it. Kate Moss is exotic because she's an unusual beauty for ANYONE. She's exquisite and quite odd-looking at the same time. That interests people, but she's still a whitey! Jennifer Aniston is beautiful, but she's not exotic, because she's not that unusual.

This Spaniash model's exotic too. Ester Canadas

Posted Image[/quote]
Edited by Trog, Dec 14 2008, 03:56 AM.
FaerieQueen

The Warrior
Member Avatar
Trog are you an exotic Scot ? ;)

Rhino
Member Avatar
You already defined it, why is there 13 posts about it lol?

"Anything foreign/unusual/weird to your eyes/perspective"
Edited by Rhino, Dec 14 2008, 04:00 AM.
Posted Image

Delilah
Member Avatar
DELILAH
Trog
Dec 14 2008, 03:55 AM
Delilah"

You didn't answer my question. In what way is Kate Moss "exotic=unusual"?

I did answer the question on Kate Moss, you've just overlooked it. Kate Moss is exotic because she's an unusual beauty for ANYONE. She's exquisite and quite odd-looking at the same time. That interests people, but she's still a whitey! Jennifer Aniston is beautiful, but she's not exotic, because she's not that unusual.

This Spaniash model's exotic too. Ester Canadas

Posted Image
[/quote]But Kate Moss is odd-looking from what? If you say she looks like a total Whitey how is she odd-looking?

Trog
Sui generis
[
Delilah"

Whether you think Megan Fox is not "exotic" is your opinion. I certainly have seen here described that way in magazines. So why do you think they call her "exotic"? Might not they be referring to her Native-American ancestry?

Megan Fox's native ancestry had to be pointed out to me, I didn't see it and I still don't. She just looked like a Courtney Cox type of woman. Nothing that Unusual about her at all. Now, CZ Jones is commonly described as Exotic, but she has none of this ancestry. So what are they referring to in CZ Jones? Why is Kate Moss described as being exotic? Neither of them have "native american ancestry". Monica bellucci is also described as being exotic, as was Brigit bardot in her prime. All of them are white women, and in the case of bellucci, she looks quintessentially Italian and not at all unusual for her nationality. Would you deny that Bellucci is exotic?
Edited by Trog, Dec 14 2008, 04:03 AM.
FaerieQueen

Trog
Sui generis
The Warrior
Dec 14 2008, 03:59 AM
Trog are you an exotic Scot ? ;)
Only when I'm in places like Egypt! And I am U3! Someone here has seen me, several images and described me as being typical for an Irish-American type with dark hair/eyes. Nothing exotic here! But I'm sure you've seen my brothers? Everyone gets confused by them.
FaerieQueen

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Photographic Supplement · Next Topic »
Add Reply