Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Ancient Hunter-Gatherers And European Farmers Lived Together For 2,000 Years; Shared grave site, rarely interbred
Topic Started: Oct 10 2013, 09:59 PM (1,838 Views)
dapork
Member Avatar
daporkyoupine
Now this is interesting. Imagine a multicultural cave 7,000 years ago.

Quote:

Ancient Hunter-Gatherers And European Farmers Lived Together For 2,000 Years, Rarely Interbred
By Zoe Mintz on October 10 2013 4:11 PM

Posted Image
Fossil skeletons taken from 'Blätterhöhle' cave near Hagen in Germany, reveal that indigenous hunter-gatherers lived alongside immigrant farmers for 2,000 years. Wikimedia Commons

Bones excavated from a German cave shed light on how hunter-gatherers and farmers lived side by side 7,500 years ago.

Fossil skeletons taken from the Blätterhöhle cave near Hagen in North Rhine-Westphalia reveal that indigenous hunter-gatherers lived alongside farmers who migrated to Central Europe from the Near East, archaeologists say. While the two groups tolerated each other, they did not mesh, the Washington Post reports.

Using DNA samples from bones taken from the cave, researchers found that for 2,000 years the two groups coexisted in the same region but did not mate – proving the hunter-gatherer lifestyle died out much later than previously thought.

"It is commonly assumed that the Central European hunter-gatherers disappeared soon after the arrival of farmers," Dr. Ruth Bollongino, lead author of the study, said in a statement. "But our study shows that the descendants of Mesolithic Europeans maintained their hunter-gatherer way of life and lived in parallel with the immigrant farmers, for at least 2,000 years.”

The findings, published in the journal Science, revealed how researchers used mitochondrial DNA analysis and isotope analysis to find out migration patterns, lineages and diets of the two groups.

In 2004, Blätterhöhle was discovered by archaeologists who excavated more than 450 skeletal fragments. Carbon dating reveals the cave was used in the Mesolithic period, between 9210 and 8340 B.C., and in the Neolithic period, between 3986 and 2918 B.C., most likely as a burial ground, LiveScience reports.

Mitochondrial DNA results taken from 25 of the skeletons indicated that some were hunter-gatherers while others were farmers. It was only when the isotope content of the samples were analyzed did researcher discover that the hunter-gatherers sustained a diet of fish while farmers relied on domesticated animals, Bollongino said. The two groups rarely interbred.

“It wasn’t until we saw the isotopes that we realized we were going to have to rewrite the paper completely,” Bollongino told the Washington Post. “They shared the same burial place for something between 400 and 600 years, so it would be very hard to explain that they did not know each other. We believe that they were close neighbors and had contact with each other and traded with each other. But still they didn’t mix.”

The results may prove who modern Europeans descended from. "Neither hunter-gatherers nor farmers can be regarded as the sole ancestors of modern-day Central Europeans,” Dr. Adam Powell, population geneticist at the JGU Institute of Anthropology, said. “European ancestry will reflect a mixture of both populations, and the ongoing question is how and to what extent this admixture happened."

http://www.ibtimes.com/ancient-hunter-gatherers-european-farmers-lived-together-2000-years-rarely-interbred-1421544
Happiness is a warm gun

இந்த மொழிபெயர்ப்பது உங்களுக்கு உடல்நிலை சரியில்லாதபோது காரணமாம்
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TiManel
Advanced Member
Nice and I have thought about this scenario, I just wasn´t expecting this proximity (at least like the one that was documented for this case).
Edited by TiManel, Oct 10 2013, 10:35 PM.

Posted Image

Crimson Guard
Member Avatar
Dienekes' blog is carrying this piece, some images:

Posted Image

[blockquote]The genetic distance maps from the supplement for the three latest cultures (CWC: Corded Ware; BBC: Bell Beaker; and UC: Unetice):[/blockquote]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2013/10/ancient-central-european-mtdna-across.html

Edited by Crimson Guard, Oct 10 2013, 10:55 PM.
Posted Image

faintsmile1992
Pro Member
In Central Asia the Gissar-Markansou tradition persisted into the middle of the Holocene alongside food producing neighbours.

Keksalarm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I wonder whether the hunter-gatherers and farmers differed physically from each other after several millennia of co-existance.

faintsmile1992
Pro Member
Keksalarm
Oct 14 2013, 10:07 PM
I wonder whether the hunter-gatherers and farmers differed physically from each other after several millennia of co-existance.
Why do you think an single European population is so variable as to include both lateral Alpinoids (Mesolithic-looking) and linear Nordics and Mediterraneans (Neolithic-looking) people?

Nikolas
Member Avatar
scientific
faintsmile1992
Oct 14 2013, 11:04 PM
Keksalarm
Why do you think an single European population is so variable as to include both lateral Alpinoids (Mesolithic-looking) and linear Nordics and Mediterraneans (Neolithic-looking) people?
If I've got you right, alpine=hunter-gatherer whilst med types = farmers
do you think the other wide-faced types, like east baltic, gorid and borreby are similarly hunter-gatherer influenced whilst other long-faced types like nordic, pontid and atlantid are more influenced from the later-arriving farming cultures?
Once you join AS-HBF, there are only a couple ways you can leave. The first is death. The second is admission to a mental institution.

faintsmile1992
Pro Member
Nikolas
Oct 14 2013, 11:39 PM
faintsmile1992
Oct 14 2013, 11:04 PM
Keksalarm
If I've got you right, alpine=hunter-gatherer whilst med types = farmers
do you think the other wide-faced types, like east baltic, gorid and borreby are similarly hunter-gatherer influenced whilst other long-faced types like nordic, pontid and atlantid are more influenced from the later-arriving farming cultures?
More or less. But some Upper Palaeolithic people were already linear Caucasians ie. Mladec, Abri Petaud etc. But most Mesolithic Europeans were alpinoids like the latetal Caucasians of the preceding Upper Palaeolithic, such as the Solutreans.

TiManel
Advanced Member
This guy doesn´t strike me as UP at all (but surely there were some like this guy, during that time):

Posted Image

Though I agree that other forms should have been more common during the same period.

Posted Image

Keksalarm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
If I remember it correctly, the "alpinization process" set in at a later period, and the original hunter-gatherers were indeed more CM in looks.

Ricky
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I think I remember that as well but in the Mesolithic, I think people tended to be a bit more robust overall anyway.

The Baron
Advanced Member
Keksalarm
Oct 15 2013, 08:24 AM
If I remember it correctly, the "alpinization process" set in at a later period, and the original hunter-gatherers were indeed more CM in looks.
Well "Cro-Magnon" was just primitive Mediterranean, Alpine is ultimately an offshoot of the Mediterranean phenotype.
Wide faces and shorter body builds are more preferable in Northern climates, so Alpines are essentially borealized Mediterraneans.

faintsmile1992
Pro Member
Though long-skulled, Cro-Magnon proper was found by Howells to cluster with Berg, Austria and not with Mediterraneans or Nordics. Even in the Upper Paleolithic what can be broadly thought of as an Alpine line and a Mediterranean line (including Nordics) can be identified in Europe by the modern populations with which Upper Paleolithic Europeans cluster. Solutreans and (North African) Iberomaurusians were also 'lateral' rather than 'linear' Caucasians. The C3 Alpine is Angel's type closest to the Upper Paleolithic and Mesolithic 'Lateral Caucasoids'.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Paleo-Anthropology · Next Topic »
Add Reply