Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
why do jews have curly hair?
Topic Started: Nov 27 2012, 05:36 PM (4,345 Views)
dasr
Member Avatar
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080812160548AAApYuL
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jalu
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
North African, Yemeni admixing mostly. Only a minority of Jews have this hair.
Edited by jalu, Nov 27 2012, 07:58 PM.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"An unexamined life is not worth living" - by Socrates

ARRASAAAM
Member Avatar
Arabs also have curly hair , but not very curly , i think its a Semitic trait .

Oxy
jalu
Nov 27 2012, 07:57 PM
North African, Yemeni admixing mostly. Only a minority of Jews have this hair.
It's not always Sub-Saharan admixtre as you assume, but sometimes local Med traits...

Many pure Caucasian Western Europeans have thick curly hair, also.

time
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Maybe from their E1b1b1 M35

Oxy
intasar
Dec 1 2012, 10:28 PM
Haplogroups have nothing to do with phenotype. Albanians/Kosovars have more E1b1b than Jews, but their hair is straighter and their headshape is very brachycephalic, while Jews with less E1b1b are more dolichocephalic and curly haired than them.

ARRASAAAM
Member Avatar
whats the most dominant genetic component among Jewish groups ?? i thought its a variety of J , Y-DNA

mizrahi jew
my ashkenazi father got curly hair(not very curly)while my mizrahi mother got wavy hair

Oxy
ARRASAAAM
Dec 1 2012, 10:34 PM
whats the most dominant genetic component among Jewish groups ?? i thought its a variety of J , Y-DNA
IIRC, it's mostly J1/J2 with some R/E.

time
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Oxy
Dec 1 2012, 10:31 PM
intasar
Dec 1 2012, 10:28 PM
Haplogroups have nothing to do with phenotype. Albanians/Kosovars have more E1b1b than Jews, but their hair is straighter and their headshape is very brachycephalic, while Jews with less E1b1b are more dolichocephalic and curly haired than them.

Maybe it is because of different maternal/paternal ancestries of Albanians? Jewish also have more J which alters their phenotype as well. But generally the rest of the Meds have curly hair types and have significant E1b1b1 M35. North Africans as well. Oh well I'm probably wrong. I was trying.... :headscratch:
Edited by time, Dec 1 2012, 10:38 PM.

Oxy
Curly hair is probably associated with warmer climates, which explains why Meds have it more than Northern Euros. Also, because Western Europeans/Keltic types have some distant Iberian origins, curly hair is more frequent in Western Europe compared to Eastern Europe.

ARRASAAAM
Member Avatar
mizrahi jew
Dec 1 2012, 10:36 PM
my ashkenazi father got curly hair(not very curly)while my mizrahi mother got wavy hair
Just curious , does your mizrahi mother look more like midde easterners ??

mizrahi jew
ARRASAAAM
Dec 1 2012, 10:34 PM
jews have also significant amount of haplogroup E y-dna (like albert einstein)
i belong to J1e (y-dna)
ARRASAAAM
Dec 1 2012, 10:45 PM
mizrahi jew
Dec 1 2012, 10:36 PM
Just curious , does your mizrahi mother look more like midde easterners ??
both my father and mother look like mideastern in my opinion
Edited by mizrahi jew, Dec 1 2012, 10:51 PM.

ARRASAAAM
Member Avatar
Me i belong to j1c3d

dapork
Member Avatar
daporkyoupine
Curly hair is just a common trait among Semites and Mediterranean peoples. I have curly hair from my Greek side, as do plenty of my relatives. In high school people sometimes thought I was Jewish because of it lol.
Happiness is a warm gun

இந்த மொழிபெயர்ப்பது உங்களுக்கு உடல்நிலை சரியில்லாதபோது காரணமாம்

JewFist
Negroid curly hair is not the same as the Med/Semitic curly hair that Jews and other East Mediterranean peoples have. Negroid hair has a unique texture to it, that Jews generally don't have, although I've seen some exceptions.

jalu
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
JewFist
Dec 2 2012, 06:15 PM
Negroid curly hair is not the same as the Med/Semitic curly hair that Jews and other East Mediterranean peoples have. Negroid hair has a unique texture to it, that Jews generally don't have, although I've seen some exceptions.
Negroid hair gets less curly, with less admix with SSA, and this progesses the further north one goes, from SSA, to NA, on to Mediterranean region. Occurances also go down.

faintsmile1992
Pro Member
Since fully ulotrichous hair is the derived condition, the first sapiens moving into Africa might have had the less distinctive 'Jewish' hair from which it evolved. Hair texture can be thought of as a cline that has Congoids and Mongoloids at opposite extremes with the Europeoids and Australoids inbetween, and the Mongoloid hair texture is more plesiomorphic state (contra OOA) whilst that of Africans is clearly the derived condition. It might be that the Aslians are the closest to the original Homo sapiens.
Edited by faintsmile1992, Dec 2 2012, 07:00 PM.

hypercube
Member Avatar
East Baltids Forever!
What about wavy hair, does that mean someone might have African ancestry going way back (well not back to the first hominids, but you know what I mean).
Posted Image

jalu
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
faintsmile1992
Dec 2 2012, 06:55 PM
Since fully ulotrichous hair is the derived condition, the first sapiens moving into Africa might have had the less distinctive 'Jewish' hair from which it evolved. Hair texture can be thought of as a cline that has Congoids and Mongoloids at opposite extremes with the Europeoids and Australoids inbetween, and the Mongoloid hair texture is more plesiomorphic state (contra OOA) whilst that of Africans is clearly the derived condition. It might be that the Aslians are the closest to the original Homo sapiens.
What I have read is the opposite. Homo sapiens out of Africa had afro hair, and straighter hair evolved as an adaptation to colder cloudy climate.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Physical Anthropology · Next Topic »
Add Reply