Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Haplogroup U5
Topic Started: Aug 26 2012, 04:14 AM (2,241 Views)
Robert
Member Avatar
Pro Member
I have this haplogroup as does Delilah and another Turkish poster here, Kyte. So I thought it would be interesting to give it it's own thread. I have U5b2 which is the oldest sublcade of U5.

Haplogroup: U5, a subgroup of R

Region: Europe, Near East, North Africa

Populations: Basques, Saami (Lapps) of northern Scandinavia

Highlight: Though primarily a European haplogroup, U5 was recently found in mitochondrial DNA extracted from the remains of a 6th-century AD Chinese chieftain.

Haplogroup U5
Branch U5 of U is extremely old, and among the oldest mtDNA haplogroups found in European remains of Homo sapiens is U5. For example, Cheddar Man, the oldest remains of anatomically modern humans in Britain, was in Haplogroup U5. The age of U5 is estimated at 30-50,000 years[11] but could be as old as 60,500 years. Approximately 11% of total Europeans and 10% of European-Americans are in haplogroup U5.
The presence of haplogroup U5 in Europe predates the end of the Ice Ages as well as the expansion of agriculture in Europe. Bryan Sykes' popular book The Seven Daughters of Eve calculated that it arose 45,000-50,000 years ago in the area of Delphi, Greece and named the originator of haplogroup U5 Ursula. However the details related to location and age are speculative. Barbujani and Bertorelle estimate the age of haplogroup U5 as about 52,000 years ago, being the oldest subclade of haplogroup U.[12] Thus, the name 'Ursula' could be applied to the entirety of haplogroup U, as well as U5.
U5 has been found in human remains dating from the Mesolithic in England, Germany, Lithuania, Poland, Portugal, Russia [13], Sweden [14], France [15] and Spain. [16] Haplogroup U5 and its subclades U5a and U5b form the highest population concentrations in the far north, in Sami, Finns, and Estonians, but it is spread widely at lower levels throughout Europe. This distribution, and the age of the haplogroup, indicate individuals from this haplogroup were part of the initial expansion tracking the retreat of ice sheets from Europe ~10kya.
Haplogroup U5 is found also in small frequencies and at much lower diversity in the Near East and parts of northern Africa (areas with sizable U6 concentrations), suggesting back-migration of people from Europe to the south.[3]

U5 is one of the oldest haplogroups in Europe. It probably arose when modern humans first moved into western Eurasia from the Near East about 40,000 years ago. As the earliest members of U5 spread across the new territory they would have encountered some oddly familiar inhabitants; the Neanderthals, a close relative of Homo sapiens, had been living in the region for more than 200,000 years. But the Neanderthals proved no match for the new arrivals - by 28,000 years ago they were gone, driven extinct by either competition or outright warfare.

The 9% of Europeans who carry the U5 haplogroup today can trace their maternal ancestry directly back to those early colonizers of Europe. The haplogroup is especially common among the Basque, whose unique language is thought to be descended from that of the first Europeans.

Branches of U5
Haplogroup U5 has two primary branches, U5a and U5b, that appear to have arisen around the time that mile-thick glaciers covered the northern half of Europe. During that period humans were confined to small enclaves in the southern part of the continent, where both U5a and U5b differentiated into even more haplogroups.

The process continued after the ice melted and allowed humans to repopulate the continent, spreading branches of U5 to widely scattered regions. The haplogroup had clearly reached Britain by 9,000 years ago; mitochondrial DNA extracted from an ancient skeleton discovered in the English town of Cheddar belonged to U5a.

Silk Road Connection
During the 6th century AD the Persian Empire controlled trade along the Silk Road through its Central Asian province of Sogdiana, providing a vital trade link between China and Europe. New evidence suggests there was a genetic connection as well. Researchers recently extracted mitochondrial DNA from the remains of a chieftain named Yu Hong, who was buried about 200 miles southwest of Beijing in 592 AD. His burial epitaph indicated that Yu Hong had Central Asian ancestry – and his DNA revealed an even more exotic background. Yu Hong's mitochondrial DNA belonged to the U5 haplogroup, a sure sign that he had European ancestors on his mother's side.

Edited by Robert, Aug 26 2012, 04:17 AM.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48ErmfiV6nM[/youtube]
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GenoMann
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
U5 links Ötzi the Iceman and the Sardinians

Discover Magazine: Ötzi the Iceman and the Sardinians

Are you Rhesus negative, Robert? That would be a another link to the Basque.
“The man of the true religious tradition understands two things: liberty and obedience. The first means knowing what you really want. The second means knowing what you really trust.” - G.K.’s Weekly, August 18, 1928

Robert
Member Avatar
Pro Member
No I'm +
Sardinians are U5b3. Finnish Sami are U5b1. I'm U5b2. Then there is U5a which split 20,000 years ago. So I'm still having some difficultly placing where mine could come from.
Edited by Robert, Aug 27 2012, 03:54 AM.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48ErmfiV6nM[/youtube]

Sokol
Member Avatar
You got another U5 in here, I'm U5a1b :D

Ermal
I recently did a test and it showed that I belong to U5a as well. My own 'advanced' theory is that as the ice was pulling back, a part of the population belonging to U5 followed the retreat northwards, while a part stayed in the Balkans. Since the north eventually was occupied by people (U5), the first ones to follow the retreated ice came to have a more dominant role in the north as opposed to the ones staying put in the Balkans and having to deal with influx of people from the east, inevitably diluting the presence of U5 in the South.

martin
Member Avatar
Robert:

To start the mtDNA U (nicknamed Ursula) probably accompanied ago 45,000 years behind the Y DNA I * in Europa.
Then it was a mistake to say that U5 is Basque, unlike U is low in Basque, similar to M65 YDNA.

Then the Basques have only 1250 years and Basques ancestors (vascons) 3000 years, so difficult to talk about Mesolithic.
Basques : Celtic group (north-south)M176.2/Z196/SRY2627/M153 with H1, H3, H*, J*... MtDNA. M176.2 group, supposed arrival in Europe 5000 years back (late Neolithic).
Ötzy was supposed Sardinian mtDNA marker K ( K or U8) and Y DNA G2a.
Ermal
Jan 16 2013, 01:29 PM
I recently did a test and it showed that I belong to U5a as well. My own 'advanced' theory is that as the ice was pulling back, a part of the population belonging to U5 followed the retreat northwards, while a part stayed in the Balkans. Since the north eventually was occupied by people (U5), the first ones to follow the retreated ice came to have a more dominant role in the north as opposed to the ones staying put in the Balkans and having to deal with influx of people from the east, inevitably diluting the presence of U5 in the South.
yes! Balkans and Central Iberian Peninsula, south-west Francia (I*/U) glacial refugia.
On the other hand the negative O, is not with DNA but the result of isolation, Basque for an estimated 3000 years the length of the isolation that is blood, and many saw the birth of language and M153 (only in particular Basques).

http://www.familytreedna.com/mtDNA-Haplogroup-Mutations.aspx

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/BasqueDNA/default.aspx?section=mtresults
On this project are not all totally Basque origin, and registration is voluntary and without control but it gives some idea of ​​approaching reality, (U low).

Edited by martin, Jan 16 2013, 11:12 PM.
haplotype : BASQUE
Y DNA : R-L11*
MtDNA :T1a1

Crimson Guard
Member Avatar
Pro Member
Southern Europe origin that dispersed into central and northern Europe:

Mitochondrial Haplogroup U5 Perspective

http://s1.zetaboards.com/anthroscape/topic/4919352/1/#new
Posted Image

martin
Member Avatar
Crimson Guard
Jan 16 2013, 11:17 PM
Southern Europe origin that dispersed into central and northern Europe:

Mitochondrial Haplogroup U5 Perspective

http://s1.zetaboards.com/anthroscape/topic/4919352/1/#new
YES! Merci!
so I can close the explanation, everything is said and better than me!
haplotype : BASQUE
Y DNA : R-L11*
MtDNA :T1a1

Angenwit
Member Avatar
U5a1b here also.
Y-DNA: I1*
Mt-DNA: U5a1b4
Father's Mt-DNA: J1c8
Grandfather's Mt-DNA: H1b

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Population Genetics · Next Topic »
Add Reply