Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
How blonde are north Germans?
Topic Started: Jan 4 2012, 05:43 PM (4,795 Views)
Balky123
How blonde is north half of Germany (compared to other places in Europe)? Almost all pigmentation maps (Coon, Lundman...) show north part of Germany in the "lightest" group. But from my impression northern half of Germany isn't nearly as blonde as Sweden or Finland. If anybody has lived in those areas or for some other rason has a more accurate impression please let me know.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by Balky123, Jan 4 2012, 05:48 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Avbdill
Member Avatar
I think they are more dark blonde.

Inquiring Mind
Member Avatar
Dragon from the East
i never lived in north germany but i live in the Reich (Ostmark/austria) and i see lot of blonde types.
One Nation under God

Horr
Member Avatar
b a h h a r
well i have been in Koeln and in some parts of east netherlands, blondes were plenty and it was a little "dirtier" than skandinavian blond.
Posted Image

topos
Member Avatar
Pro Member
Do you really believe that "lightest" means literally "lightest"? Then blondness in that area would have to be exactly the same everywhere. If you look at more detailed charts, you'll find that Finland, for instance, is indeed blonder.

It's difficult to say for me how many Northern Germans are light blond, although I'm from there. Certainly 10%, I'd say. Unlikely more than 20%. If that is precise enough for you. Of course... many people arrived in Northern Germany more recently. If I look at my family... hmm... my cousins from my mother's brother are both blond, so is my cousin from my father's brother, but the three from my mother's sister are all not blond, I'm not, my brother is, so 50% exactly there... I think it's fair enough to assume that before WW2 blondness in Northern Germany could have been as high as 40% or something, more likely around 33% though. I'll post some football teams from Northern Germany, if I find pictures...

Quite blond here (not all German, obviously, and kids, so a little skewed...):
Posted Image

Still quite blond and already a little older (without couting... looks like 35% or something)
Posted Image

Enough of Holstein Kiel, let's go to Rendsburg (if they have a football team there):

Already fewer blondes (perhaps a little more than 25% without counting)
Posted Image

Similar situation, prolly a little less even...
Posted Image

O.k., over to Schleswig...

Get's again blonder, there seems to be an east-west gradient in Schleswig-Holstein...

Blond in the strict sense, perhaps 33%, otherwise 50%...
Posted Image

Caramba... although I kind of like the 5th from left in the standing row... (not counting the man...)
Posted Image

If that helps...

Perhaps Elmshorn, and then enough...

Posted Image

Kids again... don't know why they have no photo of adults... the other kids photo was more of a Turkish cross section so...

Oh they have a photo after all... look at the average head size here, almost hillarious...
Posted Image
Edited by topos, Jan 4 2012, 06:20 PM.

safinator
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Not as blonde as Dutch people i think.

delphi
Member Avatar
That American Girl
Well I know my 100% North German grandpa had near black hair. Here's a pic. He's wearing a hat, but you can see its dark on the sides. His family was from Schleswig-Holstein.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: ErvinLindaEdieTrevor_NEW.jpg (43.77 KB)
Edited by delphi, Jan 4 2012, 10:48 PM.
Mixed American that is 49/128 German, 32/128 Czech, 30/128 Scots-Irish-English, 16/128 Austro-Hungarian, 1/128 French

Posterity ! you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom! I hope you will make a good use of it.
If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
~John Adams, 1777

topos
Member Avatar
Pro Member
Yup, he looks it. Probably from the south west of Schleswig-Holstein, almost certainly.
Edited by topos, Jan 5 2012, 07:38 AM.

delphi
Member Avatar
That American Girl
topos
Jan 5 2012, 07:37 AM
Yup, he looks it. Probably from the south west of Schleswig-Holstein, almost certainly.
Actually a lot of his ancestors are from Segeberg but some branches are from Aurich, Niedersachsen. So I guess it would all even out. :)
Mixed American that is 49/128 German, 32/128 Czech, 30/128 Scots-Irish-English, 16/128 Austro-Hungarian, 1/128 French

Posterity ! you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom! I hope you will make a good use of it.
If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
~John Adams, 1777

Axumd
Northern Germans can be blonde but probably more like a slightly darker shade.
Axumd

Balky123
delphi
Jan 4 2012, 10:45 PM
Well I know my 100% North German grandpa had near black hair. Here's a pic. He's wearing a hat, but you can see its dark on the sides. His family was from Schleswig-Holstein.
Thank you very much for your reply and I don't mean to put you down, but you can't judge statistics with one sample. Also, older people have darker hair.

The Boss
Member Avatar
Umm older people, he's just old so he has white hair.
Classification: Pontid-Alpine

Saxonhills
Banned
Northern Germany which comprises Schleswig-Holstein, Hamburg, Bremen, Niedersachsen(Lower Saxony), Mecklenburg - Vorpommern. These population are very blonde in comparison to the European average.
SOURCE - www.haar-und-psychologie.de
Published by the UNIVERSITY OF SAARLAND.

Haarfarben(hair color) Manner(men) Frauen(women)

Hellblond(light blond) 3.4% 4.9%
Mittelblond(middle blond) 20.7% 22.4%
Dunkelblond(dark blond) 26.8% 27.9%

This means the total for men is 50.9% blond and that of women is 55.2%, so the total average for North Germans is 53.05%. This doesn't include the light brown shades. Over half of Northern Germans have blond hair.

Gotlander
Member Avatar
Pro Member
I was in Northern Germany a few years ago, but at the time I wasn't really the type who paid attention to peoples' looks/appearances so I don't remember how blonde the Northern Germans I saw looked. Suffice to say, I guess they didn't look that much different from the kind of people I'm used to seeing in Northern Europe because if they did I probably would have noticed. Although I do remember Rostock (in former East Germany), unlike most of the large cities in the former West Germany had virtually no immigrant-looking people.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Boban
Member Avatar
Pro Member
Gotlander
Jun 30 2013, 10:24 AM
I was in Northern Germany a few years ago, but at the time I wasn't really the type who paid attention to peoples' looks/appearances so I don't remember how blonde the Northern Germans I saw looked. Suffice to say, I guess they didn't look that much different from the kind of people I'm used to seeing in Northern Europe because if they did I probably would have noticed. Although I do remember Rostock (in former East Germany), unlike most of the large cities in the former West Germany had virtually no immigrant-looking people.
Yeah the eastern part of Germany isn't very welcoming to immigrants i have heard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riot_of_Rostock-Lichtenhagen

martin
Member Avatar
Boban
Jun 30 2013, 12:21 PM
Gotlander
Jun 30 2013, 10:24 AM
Yeah the eastern part of Germany isn't very welcoming to immigrants i have heard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riot_of_Rostock-Lichtenhagen
I do not understand why you wrote it because I was always very well received in the east of Germany by people, and very friendly.
haplotype : BASQUE
Y DNA : R-L11*
MtDNA :T1a1

Keksalarm
central european mutt
^^
It is because you are French. It is not the French people East Germans have a problem with.
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin

Ratatoskr
The average natural hair color of adult Northern Germans is dark blonde.

There maybe be several light blondes and very few platin blondes. Usually fewer than in the blondest parts of Scandinavia and Baltic countries, but still many.
The blondest of all regions in northern Germany is a belt from Schwerin to Hannover where there are only about 10 % brunettes.

Around 20 % is common in many parts of Germany, but in the south the amount of brunettes reaches more than 30 % - still even there you may find several light blondes, although their facial features usually seem a little more alpine and/or dinaric compared to the Northern Germans.

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: brown_hair.jpg (109.02 KB)
Edited by Ratatoskr, Jul 1 2013, 12:09 AM.

Caudium
Member Avatar
Anti-905er
North of the Main River, Germans are as blonde as Poles. Maybe even a bit blonder percentage wise. Hard to say, with the immigrants as well. But still, not as blonde as Finns or Swedes.

Boban
Member Avatar
Pro Member
Caudium
Jul 1 2013, 12:08 AM
North of the Main River, Germans are as blonde as Poles. Maybe even a bit blonder percentage wise. Hard to say, with the immigrants as well. But still, not as blonde as Finns or Swedes.
Some of the polish people that have been posted by user jusienka have been as blonde as swedish and finns in my eyes.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Physical Anthropology · Next Topic »
Add Reply