Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Study:The 14 Nose Types
Topic Started: Aug 2 2011, 06:05 PM (131,023 Views)
Crimson Guard
Member Avatar
Pro Member
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Quote:

How many different shapes of human noses are there? Ten? Fifty? Hundreds?

The correct answer is 14, according to Abraham Tamir, an Israeli scientist. And while the study has its limitations, it is the first-of-its-kind survey detailing the shapes of schnozes.

Tamir set out to count, sort and categorize the shapes of human noses mainly because no one had ever done this experiment before. A professor of chemical engineering at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev in Beer-Sheva, Israel, Tamir also teaches a course on the interaction between art and science.

Analyzing the shape of noses fulfilled both his scientific curiosity and his artistic appreciation for the contours and appearance of this vital part of human anatomy. Tamir also likes looking into topics that others have not yet investigated -- and the nose seemed, well, ripe for the picking.

To group and quantify noses, Tamir looked at nearly 1,800 photos. Four hundred images came from artwork, while he took almost 1,400 snapshots of real people in Israel as well as in three European countries -- Holland, Belgium, and France. Around 1,200 of the pictures were of men and about 700 were women.

The results, reported in the May 2011 issue of the Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, found 14 different nose shapes. But here it's worth noting the study's drawbacks, as Dr. Tony Youn, Michigan-based board-certified plastic surgeon, sees them.

"This study is limited to the types of Caucasian noses," says Youn, author of the recently-published memoir "In Stitches." "It doesn't appear to take into account African noses, Asian noses, Latino noses and the various other non-European and non-Israeli types of noses. A complete study would include noses from the wide spectrum of ethnicities."

Still, according to Tamir's research, the fleshy nose, which is large and prominent, was the most popular proboscis for both men and women found in roughly one-quarter of the photos reviewed. It was the most widely seen beak in Israel observed on nearly 38 percent of the faces photographed in that country.

The turned up, or "celestial nose," was the most common shape in Europe, seen on 22 percent of the profile shots from this region. The research also considered it the "most attractive" snout shape, and its edge is sharper than a snub nose, which is smaller, slightly rounder and slopes upward at the tip.

And because of his interest in art, he also found it interesting that all the shapes of real noses were also demonstrated by paintings in one way or another.

A few other shapes identified in the paper included the hawk (thin, sharp, and downward hooking), Roman (long with a downward-sloping tip), Greek (straight), and bumpy.

The experiment even found a nose in Israel it considered extremely unique -- and the only one of its type in nearly 1,800 pictures viewed.

How about your honker? What does it look like? Are you happy with its look and shape?

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/07/27/7181806-there-are-14-different-kinds-of-noses-study-claims

Here is the Abstract from the study:

Quote:

Numerical survey of the different shapes of the human nose.
Tamir A.
Source

Chemical Engineering Department, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel. atamir4@012.net.il

Abstract

Experimental results are reported for the numerical quantities of the different shapes of human nose where, to the best of the author's knowledge, this approach has never been applied. The results are based on 1793 pictures of noses, of which 403 are artworks, 498 are photographs taken by the author in Europe-Holland, Belgium, and France-while visiting these places, 801 were photographed in Israel, and 91 are not clear where exactly photographed. One thousand eighty-one were photographs of men, and 712 were of women. The author has succeeded to classify all the noses into 14 groups, where for each nose shape it was possible to find also an artistic demonstration. Near each shape the percentage of the total number of noses of a certain nose shape is reported. The detailed results for the number of noses versus their shape and sources: artworks and photographing places-Europe and Israel-are reported. The most widespread nose, 24.2%, is shape 1, the fleshy nose, where the least widespread nose, 0.45%, is shape 4. It should be emphasized also that shape 14, 0.05%, photographed in Israel is extremely unique and the only one existing among the 1793 noses that were considered.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21586956

Edited by Crimson Guard, Aug 2 2011, 06:12 PM.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

svetovid777
Member Avatar
Interesting research. :)
I've got snub nose.

Kearney
Member Avatar
Mine is somewhere between the "Bumpy Nose" and the one directly before it (it is short, pointy, and exactly straight). Typical Irish feature from what I have seen on others.

Tsirkus
Member Avatar

Nixon nose but at least nicer nose than that nose at end
Dibby dibby du-wop du-wop.

svetovid777
Member Avatar
I think that last nose is not nose at all. :)

memobekes
Member Avatar
Pro Member
I have the Roman nose, feel so proud, whoop whoop!

Horr
Member Avatar
b a h h a r
mine ain't not there.

well, it's the syridest of the syrid noses lol :cool:
Posted Image

Angriff
Member Avatar
None of that are similar to mine, because it is convex. But what else comes close is the Roman....

Tsirkus
Member Avatar

samyekah
Aug 2 2011, 06:47 PM
I think that last nose is not nose at all. :)
but i think it is i think it is smaller version of fleshy nose :cool:
Dibby dibby du-wop du-wop.

Majokiuy
Member Avatar
Banned
My nose is a mixture of these two. My nose is upturned, but I have a little bump at the top.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Biscuits when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry, water when I'm thirsty, heaven when I die :violin:

Hetman
Member Avatar
Posted Image

Here's mine.

Gapn
Well this is my nose I just took the photo.
I thought it was roman but I'm not so sure?
Can you guys tell me what shape it is?
http://t.co/vgGoyTv

rijio
Very interesting study. Thank you for sharing. It's a pity it only focuses on caucasian types of noses. I would like to know about the variations of shapes/size on other ethnicities :)

Northalius
Member Avatar
I have a Roman nose.

Edit: I had always considered it just a Roman nose, but according to those pictures and me looking at it again in the mirror, it seems to be right in the middle of Roman nose and Greek nose. My bump is slight, not as drastic as the woman shown on the left side for the Roman nose example, and not as straight as the Greek nose of the woman. Then again, the example for Greek nose on the right, seems to have more a bump than the female on the left.

Hmm, well, for now I will say mixture of Roman and Greek nose - somewhere in the middle. ;)
Edited by Northalius, Aug 3 2011, 11:09 PM.

Jaguar
Banned
Crimson Guard
Aug 2 2011, 06:05 PM

Posted Image

This is the closet picture to the nose I've got.

The painting on the right is like mine.

Mine comes straight out from my face, with a steep nose bridge. I've got a very straight nose bridge. No inturn, curvature or bump.
Edited by Jaguar, Aug 4 2011, 06:14 PM.

Crimson Guard
Member Avatar
Pro Member
The art looks like a typical "Greek" straight nose profile, perhaps just a variant of one of their other named types I suppose.
Posted Image

Cheetos
I think I've got a slightly bumpy Greek nose.

delphi
Member Avatar
That American Girl
Mine looks almost exactly like that painting. :)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 031.jpg (112.64 KB)
Attachments: awesomenose.jpg (25.1 KB)
Mixed American that is 49/128 German, 32/128 Czech, 30/128 Scots-Irish-English, 16/128 Austro-Hungarian, 1/128 French

Posterity ! you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom! I hope you will make a good use of it.
If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
~John Adams, 1777

Jizo
Member Avatar
Slav
No sure which mine is, somewhere between those two,more like the snub I think. :)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 1.jpg (17.62 KB)
Attachments: 2.jpg (34.07 KB)

johnboswell
Member Avatar
Romanichal, h1a, u3b
mine aint there :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Physical Anthropology · Next Topic »
Add Reply