Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Typical Etruscan face
Topic Started: Jun 22 2011, 08:43 AM (8,282 Views)
Sciencefreak
Banned
This is a friend of mine from Prato, Tuscany(and his kid, I just deleted the eyes of his son as he is a minor) I think he has a face that resembles the ancient etruscan statues or paintings,how would you classify him.
I post a recent pic and one when he was in his 20's.
Ah this is his FB link just in case http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1383168997&ref=ts
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 249523_1770312902620_1383168997_31659015_3457077_n.jpg (53.77 KB)
Attachments: 18178_1236276192036_1383168997_30634640_7986389_n.jpg (71.78 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

solidus
Member Avatar
wat
I went on his facebook, looks like a cool guy...But everyone he was hanging around with, people in the clubs and stuff don't look anything like him...so how does that make him look typical??
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Sciencefreak
Banned
solidus
Jun 22 2011, 09:11 AM
I went on his facebook, looks like a cool guy...But everyone he was hanging around with, people in the clubs and stuff don't look anything like him...so how does that make him look typical??
typical etruscan not typical tuscan, etruscans are a component of Tuscans , not even the majority, I think definitely a minority given all the mixing we have had in the centuries. Btw the clubs are never a good indicator as, especially where we hang out in our area, there are tons of foreigners such like americans, russians, romanians, germans, north africans etc etc

solidus
Member Avatar
wat
Sciencefreak
Jun 22 2011, 09:15 AM
solidus
typical etruscan not typical tuscan, etruscans are a component of Tuscans , not even the majority, I think definitely a minority given all the mixing we have had in the centuries. Btw the clubs are never a good indicator as, especially where we hang out in our area, there are tons of foreigners such like americans, russians, romanians, germans, north africans etc etc
No one is really 100% sure how the original Etruscans looked like, there are only few drawings of them, but we can't really trust those as its irrelevant.

But you could be right, I'm not sure how the original Etruscans looked like, maybe they did look like him, maybe they didnt...who knows.

Tsirkus
Member Avatar

-

Edited by Tsirkus, Jun 22 2011, 05:16 PM.
mirror mirror on the wall, who is the whitest of them all ?

the duke
Member Avatar
wannabes nightmare
Funny ScienceFreak, really, especially when you are the only one to know all those dark Tuscans.
It seems an outbreak.LOL
I think it's basically impossible. The only Tuscan guy who posted his face here looked like an english, but you know all dark people.
LOL.
So you don't mind if i ask them friendship on facebook now that i have their link and ask if they know you?

What do you think?
solidus
Great question Solidus, infact this Sciencefreak likes a lot to find the darkest and weird tuscan people.
The people in the club are not like him cause they are not cherry picked, infact he only posts whoever fits a not clear agenda, it's obvious i think.

Those around him are not americans or russians, on the opposite i think there is a S.American girl there, the rest are Tuscans and Italians in general.
Russians and Americans don't look like that and it's winter in those pics when Versilia has not much tourism(There are not touristic cities there save for the sea in summer). Plus it's easy to see they are local friends of him.
Anyway you are right, we don't know what etruscans looked like even cause they were for the most local villanovians and umbrians.
Tuscans\italians friends of him found in his facebook page below:
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 205456_1905266321994_1551867307_1923833_7823764_n.jpg (51.22 KB)
Attachments: 217112_1905271322119_1551867307_1923843_1167485_n_001.jpg (48.54 KB)
Attachments: 227244_1752248971033_1383168997_31630844_7053647_n.jpg (123.51 KB)
Edited by the duke, Jun 22 2011, 02:51 PM.
Posted Image

solidus
Member Avatar
wat
the duke
Jun 22 2011, 11:59 AM
Funny ScienceFreak, really, especially when you are the only one to know all those dark Tuscans.
It seems an outbreak.LOL
I think it's basically impossible. The only Tuscan guy who posted his face here looked like an english, but you know all dark people.
LOL.
So you don't mind if i ask them friendship on facebook now that i have their link and ask if they know you?

Maybe they'll be glad to know people post their faces over an anthropology forum and that their friend thinks to them.
I have a pic of your face, maybe i can ask if they know you.
What do you think?
solidus
Great question Solidus, infact this Sciencefreak likes a lot to find the darkest and weird tuscan people.
The people in the club are not like him cause they are not cherry picked, infact he only posts whoever fits his agenda, it's obvious i think.

Those around him are not americans or russians, on the opposite i think there is a s.American girl there.
Anyway you are right, we don't know what etruscans looked like even cause they were for the most local villanovians and umbrians.

yes I agree with you 100%. So if he is a typical Etruscan then why cant I find anymore of them in the pictures?? ScienceFreak said that because these Tuscans of Etruscan origins make up a minority of the population...if thats true than we would still be able to find at least 4-5 other people looking like him....but sadly no....

memobekes
Member Avatar
Pro Member
Weren't the Etruscans supposed to have been of the Cappadocian Med. type?

the duke
Member Avatar
wannabes nightmare
Exactly Solidus, i checked that facebook and i haven't seen another one like him, all normal tuscan people. There are names over pics and none point to foreign people as well.
I don't even know if "Salvi" is a Tuscan name to be real, maybe Salvini but not Salvi.
Anyway the people around him are all tuscans, and obviously he posted only the pic he thought was "better"

memobekes
Jun 22 2011, 12:20 PM
Weren't the Etruscans supposed to have been of the Cappadocian Med. type?
The ones who were not Italics maybe and not all i think. Etruscans found Umbrians and Villanovians in Tuscany they weren't in an empty Italy.
Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 7633_1202905080192_1455558130_567921_2973253_n.jpg (52.41 KB)
Edited by the duke, Jun 22 2011, 12:38 PM.
Posted Image

memobekes
Member Avatar
Pro Member
^ Are they Italians?

the duke
Member Avatar
wannabes nightmare
memobekes
Jun 22 2011, 12:31 PM
^ Are they Italians?
You mean the facebook pics?
The man Sciencefreak posted i don't know if it's Tuscan, anyway they are italians yes.
Posted Image

Racial Reality
Member Avatar
Administrator
the duke
Jun 22 2011, 12:27 PM
I don't even know if "Salvi" is a Tuscan name to be real, maybe Salvini but not Salvi.

"Salvi" is common enough in Tuscany, especially around Prato:

http://www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html?cognome=salvi

the duke
Member Avatar
wannabes nightmare
Racial Reality
Jun 22 2011, 12:37 PM
the duke
Jun 22 2011, 12:27 PM

"Salvi" is common enough in Tuscany, especially around Prato:

http://www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html?cognome=salvi
Actually it seems more common in the north like Lombardy.
Posted Image

memobekes
Member Avatar
Pro Member
I don't think the guy in those Facebook pics looks like a typical Italian so to speak.

the duke
Member Avatar
wannabes nightmare
They are Memo.
All the names over pics are Italians and i don't know what you your idea of Italians is sincerely.
That is what you find in Italy save cherry picked pics.

Anyway that man doesn't look extreme at all, only a tanned dude with a bit of slanted eyes. If we start to question phenotypes like that we would have nobody left in Europe.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 189557_192620467439928_100000759276954_446389_742896_n.jpg (40.71 KB)
Edited by the duke, Jun 22 2011, 12:59 PM.
Posted Image

memobekes
Member Avatar
Pro Member
^ I was referring to the guy Sciencefreak posted; yes he's Italian, but doesn't look "typical" :D

Racial Reality
Member Avatar
Administrator
the duke
Jun 22 2011, 12:38 PM

Yeah, but the guy's from Prato, so it's unlikely that he'd be a Lombard.

the duke
Member Avatar
wannabes nightmare
Racial Reality
Jun 22 2011, 01:02 PM
the duke
Jun 22 2011, 12:38 PM

Yeah, but the guy's from Prato, so it's unlikely that he'd be a Lombard.
Okay.
What do you think about his phenotype RR anyway?
Do you think his face worths to be posted as the specimen of Etruscan(in the meaning someone wants to show them of course) or he's only a tanned dude?
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 188475_192627547439220_100000759276954_446503_6073629_n.jpg (50.77 KB)
Attachments: 62826_105789019484497_100001601975721_47637_5533432_n.jpg (75.61 KB)
Edited by the duke, Jun 22 2011, 01:43 PM.
Posted Image

Racial Reality
Member Avatar
Administrator
I don't think he looks particularly Etruscan. This is the stereotypical Etruscan look:

Posted Image

And here's an example of the Cappadocian type, according to Angel:

Posted Image

the duke
Member Avatar
wannabes nightmare
Yes, he doesn't look etruscan to me as well, even if i think as all the ancient med cultures they stereotyped people in their frescoes.
That frescoe seems like a carbon copy of the greek facial profiles, infact if you see other frescoes they have all the same profile and with some reds and blondes as well. I think it's hard to make an average of the ethnic etruscan and the assimilated autochotonous based on those frescoes then.
Posted Image

That is a cappadocian type?
Thanks.

This irish actor looks more stereotypical etruscan than the guy Sciencefreak posted, lol:
Posted Image
Edited by the duke, Jun 22 2011, 02:07 PM.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Classifying People · Next Topic »
Add Reply