Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Patton, Berry make insensitive racial remarks about their children
Topic Started: May 14 2011, 06:34 AM (29,556 Views)
Crimson Guard
Member Avatar
Pro Member

Posted Image
Actress Paula Patton, seen here with her husband Robin Thicke, set off some controversy last week when she said on "Chelsea Lately" that "Blackness takes time." Credit: (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

Quote:

As she promoted her newly released film, Jumping the Broom, on Chelsea Lately last week, Paula Patton said she was waiting on her year-old son Julian Fuego to turn “blacker.” Like his father R and B crooner Robin Thicke, Julian has blue eyes and blond hair.

“Every day I’m like, he’s gonna get blacker,” she said. “The tan is coming in, the hair is curlier, I’m telling you.” She added that “blackness” takes time.

Though they may have come across as lighthearted comments, they didn’t go over well with many people, especially since Patton herself is mixed race and should know better. However, some would say it is precisely her own experience that allowed her to be relaxed in making that comment.

Academy Award winner Halle Berry, who identifies as Black even though her mother is white, also caused something of a firestorm earlier this year when she insisted her 3-year-old daughter Nahla, whose father is white, is a Black child. Nahla’s father Gabriel Aubrey, a French Canadian, said he did not view his daughter as exclusively Black.

Berry added that she subscribed to the “one drop rule,” a holdover of U.S. slavery that dictated that one drop of Black blood makes one Black. In the Caribbean, however, the opposite is true, that one drop of white blood makes one white. Either way, many multiracial people took exception to Berry’s use and defense of a clearly racist policy.

Many states have over the past 20 years passed laws that require a multiracial category or option to choose more than one race if demographic information is collected. And in the 2010 Census, the number of people who identify as multiracial has increased.

What these two mothers should realize is they made a choice, just as their parents did, about the racial directions of their families. Since they each have the experience, they should be able to help, rather than hurt their children.

http://www.examiner.com/celebrity-parents-in-national/patton-berry-make-insensitive-racial-remarks-about-their-children
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Delilah
Member Avatar
DELILAH
I don't think the remarks are insensitive. I've seen Berry's daughter and to me at this stage she does look more Black than White.

However, everyone perceives admixture in a different way. Where some people see a lot of admixture in a person another person doesn't see as much.
"Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4

zeta
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Their child will probably look Mestizo.
If people didn't know Patton's ethnicity they would have thought she was latin american.
People can usually tell if someone has such admixture because of the features and one of them notably the size of the mouth and shape of jaws which are usually narrow in the front view and wide from the side view.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
This is Dinarid. If they don't look like this, then they ain't Dinarid.
Posted Image

Delilah
Member Avatar
DELILAH
Why assume Latin American immediately? This is a wrong assumption based on your stereotype of Latin Americans. I'm Latina and when I see this woman I think Black not Latina.

That is not to say that there aren't Latin Americans that look like her however, based on my knowledge of Latinos that's not the first thought that would come to my mind.
"Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4

Crimson Guard
Member Avatar
Pro Member
Maybe Black in the American sense, but she's clearly mixed race, which is what she is:

http://theglamourouslife.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/paula-patton-ethnicity.jpg

Their child:

http://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/julian-2.jpg?w=561&h=594
Edited by Crimson Guard, May 14 2011, 06:01 PM.
Posted Image

cmariexo
Banned
1/4 black is not black. Why ignore 3/4 of one's ancestry and expect them to identify themselves based on 1/4?

Delilah
Member Avatar
DELILAH
Well yeah CG she is technically mixed race but even in Puerto Rico we would see her as Black.
do you mindd
May 14 2011, 05:52 PM
1/4 black is not black. Why ignore 3/4 of one's ancestry and expect them to identify themselves based on 1/4?
Patton is only 1/4 Black? She looks more than that. She looks mulatta.
Edited by Delilah, May 14 2011, 05:55 PM.

cmariexo
Banned
I meant their son.
And she might even be less than 50% Sub-Saharan African herself since most African Americans are not full African.

Delilah
Member Avatar
DELILAH
do you mindd
May 14 2011, 05:55 PM
I meant their son.
And she might even be less than 50% Sub-Saharan African herself since most African Americans are not full African.
Oh ok. No Patton is mulatta and she looks it.

Patton was born Paula Maxine Patton in Los Angeles to a Caucasian mother, Joyce, a school teacher, and an African-American father, Charles Patton, a lawyer

Seraph
Member Avatar
If I had bi/multiracial children, I'd refrain from choosing their identity, and I'd let them do it themselves when grown up. Or give them the choice to not stick to any label, for that matter, but I think they'd just be forced by the outside world to "choose a side".

Like do you mindd, I don't consider a person who's only 1/4 black to be "black", but it's not up to me to decide how someone else views him/herself. I have a (Brazilian) friend who's been influenced enough by the American concept of race to consider herself black, even though she's clearly mostly European. I consider her "parda" (brown, mestiza), but whatever.
Conservatism and science don't go along.

cmariexo
Banned
Seraph
May 14 2011, 07:20 PM

Like do you mindd, I don't consider a person who's only 1/4 black to be "black", but it's not up to me to decide how someone else views him/herself. I have a (Brazilian) friend who's been influenced enough by the American concept of race to consider herself black, even though she's clearly mostly European. I consider her "parda" (brown, mestiza), but whatever.
I agree. However I think it's wrong for a half-black parent to perpetuate the One Drop Rule strongly enough to call their 1/4 black kid "black" and not even mixed.. like Halle Berry did.

Yeahboy
Member Avatar
Lucky Bastard
Its the same logic they use to take credit for ancient North African civilizations like Egypt.

"Since egyptians were africans... it must be a black accomplishment, right? RIGHT?"
Edited by Yeahboy, May 18 2011, 09:43 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Inter-Group Relations · Next Topic »
Add Reply