Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Physical differences between Germans and Brits.
Topic Started: Jan 15 2011, 05:13 AM (17,055 Views)
Diabolus
Member Avatar
Adduco de Malum
I was always curious as to what specifics scream German or Brit when 2 people are placed side by side. Ultimately someone that looks German can very well be a Brit and Vice Versa. Can you post some 'photographic supplements' to compare and contrast these two strangely similar groups of people? Sometimes I-just-can't-tell. :headscratch:
Attached to this post:
Attachments: jamie_bianca_large.jpg (95.6 KB)
Attachments: luke_silke_large.jpg (92.89 KB)
Attachments: sam_jana_large.jpg (97.23 KB)
Attachments: timo_christina_large.jpg (93.14 KB)
Attachments: tonja_sam_large.jpg (98.63 KB)
Edited by Diabolus, Jan 15 2011, 05:20 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cmariexo
Banned
I think they look different but alike at the same time, I could probably tell the difference. What's odd to me is that German is supposedly the most common ancestry among white Americans, but Germans look much more foreign to me than Brits do.

zeta
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Brits are more rosy skinned but Germans have more light eyes. Brits tend to be wider faced although you can find both wide and narrow faces in both peoples. A Brit might speak with more finesse than a German would.
This is Dinarid. If they don't look like this, then they ain't Dinarid.
Posted Image

Astrolabe
Member Avatar
From what i've seen Germans tend to be lighter and "more robust". For example i would guess someone like Stefan Effenberg first as a german.

Diabolus
Member Avatar
Adduco de Malum
Astrolabe
Jan 15 2011, 06:28 AM
From what i've seen Germans tend to be lighter and "more robust". For example i would guess someone like Stefan Effenberg first as a german.
Bastian Schweinsteiger reminds me of Stefan Effenberg, though these two could just as well be Brits. They are more "stereotypical" Germans. I myself am confused for German or British more often than any other ethnicity. I'm neither.

Astrolabe
Member Avatar
Well, having both english and german TV channels and being a huge football fan i can tell the difference.
Here are some pics from the english and german Mexico 86 World cup team:

England:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Germany

Posted Image

Posted Image

Magath and Littbarski are not fully of german ancestry.

Diabolus
Member Avatar
Adduco de Malum
Interesting stuff. Though my previous point remains that any of these footballers could be from either side.

ukali1066
Member Avatar
I have that same sticker album !!

I think we're pretty much indistinguishable.....I can usually tell a German youth though as they seem to dress more "square" for want of a better word...

We do share a common Angle/Saxon ancestry
Posted Image

zeta
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Brits have bigger heads but they both seem to have big faces.
Edited by zeta, Jan 16 2011, 08:38 PM.
This is Dinarid. If they don't look like this, then they ain't Dinarid.
Posted Image

Brassy2
Banned
Brit have Celtic looks and German have Germanic looks.

Praetorian
Brits have a rosier skin but darker hair colour as a rule. There is much regional variation and the fairer bits of eastern Britain are lighter than Bavarians and other South Germans.

Brits have narrower heads and faces than Germans according to statistics on cephalic index and facial index from many authors.
Edited by Praetorian, Jan 16 2011, 08:50 PM.

Astrolabe
Member Avatar
ukali1066
Jan 16 2011, 07:20 PM
I have that same sticker album !!

Classic :D

Axumd
British are definitely more fair skinned and more rosier in tone. The Germans are probably more like between fair or light-medium skinned with some with a much more bronze tone. The Brits and Germans are probably are alike in looks for true since there is supposed to be some history between like one on here has already mentioned.
Axumd

Crimson Guard
Member Avatar
Pro Member
I remember the British anthropologist Robert Gayre noting the German heads to be square shaped and that the British soldiers during the Great War were not able to fit their heads inside the German enemy helmets.

Anyway, check out the composites from RR:

Posted Image

http://racialreality.blogspot.com/2006/09/caucasoid-phenotypic-variation.html
Posted Image

Axumd
From your composite examples the British one does look different from the German one.
Axumd

Diabolus
Member Avatar
Adduco de Malum
Yes as a few of you have mentioned I have noticed the difference in skin color too as I lived in Germany for over 6 years. The German skin tone has more yellow and the Brits have more pink, also Germans tan more easily than do the Brits. I think there is also a higher occurrence of freckling and/or redheads within the Brits. Body-wise, I think they are very similar with British women on average having larger breasts...

Crimson Guard: I don't think the British composite is a very good representation, unless maybe he's Welsh...

These are all nuances that only people who have anthropological knowledge would know. Very interesting nonetheless.

Origin
Member Avatar
Brassy2
Jan 16 2011, 08:29 PM
Brit have Celtic looks and German have Germanic looks.
It's not quite as simple as that. Besides it depends if you're talking about Brits or English specifically (it annoys me when people conflate the two) but yes, I think the Celtic strain is what brings about any distinction between the English and the Germans. But then again, even in the case of more Germanic looking Englishmen, we don't have that exotic Dinaric/Mediterranean and such elements floating around either. Not to the same extent. Varies from person to person and region. The English are closer looks-wise to the Dutch/Frisians and Danish than Germans anyway. Go to Norfolk and people can look remarkably Danish.
Please don't PM me asking me to classify you!

Arch Hades
Member Avatar
Posted Image

the male here could never be mistaken for a German, he looks very British.
Edited by Arch Hades, Jan 26 2011, 02:08 AM.

Omshanti
Member Avatar
Last month I drove down from Scotland to West Yorkshire, and the first thing I noticed about the people was that the local people in West Yorkshire generally had smaller and more dolichocephalic sculls as well as more petite bodies than the people in the Lothians (around Edinburgh).
Whatever the difference between the people of Yorkshire and Scotland however, my main point is that people differ (now, whether you call this a racial difference or just a regional difference completely depends on where you draw the line between 'races' as even a family, or each individual human being if you go all the way, can be considered to constitute a separate race) even within a short distance.
Also, no human being is ever identical to another (if we exclude the identical twins of course), and the 60 million or so individuals in Britain are (naturally) different individuals from the 80 million or so individuals in Germany.
From the two points above I would say that it is quite logical to conclude that there should be general differences between the people in Britain and the people in Germany.

The first three people from the attached photos are examples whose features I think are more common among Germans.
Thomas Kretschmann
Steffi Graf
Renee Zellweger

The last person is of course Wayne Rooney whose features I think are more commonly found among the British and the Irish.

Attached to this post:
Attachments: Thomas_Kretschmann.jpg (31.63 KB)
Attachments: Steffi_graf.jpg (21.11 KB)
Attachments: images.jpg (6.81 KB)
Attachments: Wayne_Rooney_300.jpg (9.66 KB)
Edited by Omshanti, Jan 26 2011, 03:05 AM.
You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother. Albert Einstein

topos
Member Avatar
Pro Member
@Sir Infamous.

No, he could. There are ugly Germans as well.

EDIT. Actually, coming to think of it... he does remind me of my neighbor and n-th degree cousin, only the chin is off.

EDIT2. It would be major fun to be able to post the images of the farmers from my home town. That are only about 5 people, but they all had (most of them have died, o.k., the younger generation does the trick as well, even if they aren't farming anymore) very distinguished facial features, not average at all, good stuff for film background characters. (Unless the film is called "Babe" and features a small pig. Actually that farmer could not have been mistaken for German. They do stick out in a similar way though.)
Looking now at him... I can't promise that you won't find a single German look alike...

Posted Image
Edited by topos, Jan 26 2011, 03:02 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Photographic Supplement · Next Topic »
Add Reply