Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Which group do Cape Verdeans as a whole look like most?
Dominicans 14 (38.9%)
Puerto Ricans 0 (0%)
Jamaicans, Bajans, or Trinidadians (Anglo Caribbean) 3 (8.3%)
African Americans 4 (11.1%)
Afro-Brazilians 15 (41.7%)
Continental Africans 0 (0%)
Total Votes: 36
People of Cape Verde. Who do they look most like? (Pics included)
Topic Started: Nov 24 2010, 04:57 PM (20,780 Views)
cmariexo
Banned
How do they compare to Dominicans and other New World blacks and mulattos? I've heard it said that even though most of them are recognizably "black", there's still something Portuguese in their features that distinguishes them from African Americans and American biracials. Others of course, just look African.

I made a poll.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

C78
Wow, I wasn't really familiar with cape verdeans, but I can say there isn't a single person in that post who would look out of place in the Dominican Republic. The only difference is that in the Dominican Republic the range is wider because you can sporadically see Native American admixture, like in this guy:

Posted Image

Otherwise, extremely similar.

cmariexo
Banned
A lot of Cape Verdeans around here are usually mistaken for Puerto Rican, Dominican, or Brazilian. Some, usually the ones who are by and large African descent, are mistaken for African Americans.

cmariexo
Banned
Any other opinions?

Swans
Member Avatar
I vote Dominican, though a lot of the people here wouldn't look out of place in the Anglo Caribbean or Brazil. That guy with the blonde dreadlocks and green eyes looks incredible, like he's of some race from another planet. I also find it interesting that fair hair and light eyes are common, when you consider that they aren't even that common in Portugal itself.
Edited by Swans, Nov 25 2010, 08:05 PM.

cmariexo
Banned
A lot of people in Bahia, Brazil look similar to some of these.

I wonder in other parts of the US, such as the south, these people as a whole would be perceived. In many places, someone of visible African descent who doesn't look typically African American is often grouped into the "Latino" category.

Swans
Member Avatar
I'm betting the majority would be perceived as African-American. But one like Maya Andrade wouldn't be.

Actually I spent time in Georgia and I was usually identified as Latino. I've never seen a mulatto or quadroom in the states who looked anything like me, but plenty in S.America and the Caribbean.

cmariexo
Banned
I don't think they really look African American but then again, many Dominicans are mistaken for African American here too until people know their last names, or hear them speak.

Swans
Member Avatar
That can be as much due to the clothing and general attitude. Some Mestizo men can appear black at first glance because of their hairstyles and way of dressing.

One other thing I've noticed is that Afro-Latinos seem to have naturally straighter hair than African Americans, regardless of complexion.
Edited by Swans, Nov 25 2010, 09:36 PM.

cmariexo
Banned
Swans
Nov 25 2010, 09:29 PM
That can be as much due to the clothing and general attitude. Some Mestizo men can appear black at first glance because of their hairstyles and way of dressing.

One other thing I've noticed is that Afro-Latinos seem to have naturally straighter hair than African Americans, regardless of complexion.
Afro-Latinos and Cape Verdeans are more likely to have tightly-curled hair than are African Americans.

Swans
Member Avatar
As opposed to kinky hair?

cmariexo
Banned
Yes.

colombian-girl
Member Avatar
Banned
dominicans I think

Diezmador
Member Avatar
Decimator
Swans
Nov 25 2010, 09:29 PM

Can you post an example of a Mestizo that appears negro? If someone appears Negro, then he isn't mestizo but tri-racial or mulatto.

Swans
Member Avatar
Wasn't saying that they appear Negro once you get a good look at them. They can just look like mixed blacks as you pass them in the street, when they have the whole ghetto get up on, complete with shaved head or cornrows. That said there are tri-racials and mulatto's who could pass as Mestizo.

Diezmador
Member Avatar
Decimator
Swans
Dec 2 2010, 10:22 PM
Wasn't saying that they appear Negro once you get a good look at them. They can just look like mixed blacks as you pass them in the street, when they have the whole ghetto get up on, complete with shaved head or cornrows. That said there are tri-racials and mulatto's who could pass as Mestizo.
I think you're just not very good at observing. A 50/50 Mulatto would never pass as Mestizo, and likewise a 33/33/33 tri-racial won't either.

aefavant
Member Avatar
FX in mind
As far as my 'local understanding' and historical grasp goes they look quite like the Brazilians. That high incidence of fair hair/eye is totally explained by mixing of races (european - Prtuguese in that case!) and negroes/indios. Sometimes it suprises me how so many of the mulattoes hair and eyes are considerably fairer here in Brazil than their european counterparties. It is no surprise that people in such countries can look like a hotpot of ethnicities ie negroid, alpinid, nordic, med, "arab".
A long time ago i read some historical accounts on the first families and the common offspring of the portuguese who admixed themselves with amerindians (speacially) and negroes was a kind of tanned skinned, fair haired and eyed kid.
Edited by aefavant, Aug 29 2011, 06:12 PM.

LUSITANIAN KELTIC WARRIOR
Member Avatar
Banned
They look like Dominicans, Azoreans, Puerto Ricans, Madeirans or Brazilians.

Jaguar
Banned
Dominicans.
Edited by Jaguar, Aug 29 2011, 03:15 PM.

Maximus
The Portuguese features are visible in many of those you posted. I think that would make them resemble more the afro-brazilians. They are better looking than Aframs, but that's ofc just my opinion.
Edited by Maximus, Aug 29 2011, 08:51 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Photographic Supplement · Next Topic »
Add Reply