Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Slimmest in Europe: BMI scores for 2009
Topic Started: May 16 2009, 02:21 AM (9,164 Views)
Crimson Guard
Member Avatar
Posted Image

Quote:

A report by the National Institute of Demographic Studies in France has revealed that French women, who are the slimmest in Europe, consider themselves as fat, while British ladies, who are the most overweight - are the most comfortable with their size.

But while a new research has confirmed that French women are really the thinnest in western Europe, their slenderness comes at big cost: they are also concerned much more about being fat than their counterparts in any other EU country. The findings also highlight both massive differences in the weight of men and women all across Europe, as well as how people's attitudes towards extra weight vary in different countries.

The weight comparisons are based on adult Body Mass Index (BMI), the measure recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO). To find out one's BMI, the weight in kilograms must be divided by height in meters squared. A BMI below 18.5 is considered as dangerously underweight. The range between 18.5 and 25 is perfect, between 25 and 30 is overweight, and above 30 it is obese.

In France, the proportion of thin women has long been the highest in Europe. According to the most recent statistics, nearly 6.7 per cent of French women are dangerously slim; they also have Europe's lowest average BMI, at 23.2. Yet when the investigators asked women about their ideal weight, they found that French women were still not happy and longed for the thinnest bodies in Europe. Around 50 per cent of all slim French women are convinced that they weigh too much, the study found.

Italian ladies have the second lowest BMIs in Europe, followed by women in Austria, Germany and Denmark. British women had the highest average at 26.2, which was above the normal range to be considered healthy. Surprisingly, British women are, on the whole, feeling very comfortable with their size, and by no means consider themselves as overweight. In Portugal, Spain and the UK, where ideal weights are higher, there was also a tendency to underestimate weight, according to the report. The number of women who considered themselves to be too thin was greater than the number who actually were.

The survey found, unsurprisingly, that European gentlemen, in contrast to ladies, were less worried about their weight in spite of the fact that in western Europe only French and Dutch men are, on average, within the ideal weight band, according to World Health Organization standards. All the rest are overweight, with British men tipping the scales as the third plumpest, behind the Greeks and Finns.

In only three nations do females join males crossing that line: Britain, Greece and Portugal. And only among individuals in Netherlands there are more overweight women than men. France is the one country in which both genders are solidly in the perfect weight borders, and the only country in which more than 5 per cent of women are officially below the normal weight.

"Men denigrate their own bodies when they are underweight, but when they are overweight, they often do not see a problem," said the author of the report, Thibaut de Saint Pol, adding that outright obesity was another story. "When women are underweight, they do not devalue that at all. But as soon as they cross the line into overweight, they find that unacceptable."

Mr. Saint Pol said that his research suggests that average national weight is not just a matter of eating habits, physical activity or genetics. It is strongly affected differences in cultures and national attitudes to what is being considered as an acceptably thin, or attractive, or - in the case of men - athletic and strong body. In some countries, such as Greece, the investigator points out, male fatness is still viewed as a symbol of power or strength.

French ladies, he said, are slender, in part, because they come under intense pressure from French men, but also from other French women, to stay thin. "What people consider to be the ideal weight in France is lower than in other countries," M. Saint Pol said. "If a French person who feels fat were to go to the United States, he or she probably wouldn't feel fat any more."

M. Saint Pol's study is published in this month's edition of Populations et Société, the newsletter of the French demographic institute, INED.

http://www.enotalone.com/article/19530.html

Another link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1173148/British-women-dont-mind-Europes-biggest-French-females-slimmest-worry-weight.html
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Delilah
Member Avatar
100% Boricua
Men can always get away with being plumper not so for women.
You've lost that lovin' feelin'
Whoa, that lovin' feelin'
You've lost that lovin' feelin'
Now it's gone...gone...gone...woah

tico
^^lol true

JaM
Member Avatar
I'm inspired to go and get a sandwich. We gotta catch up with the Brits, and there's a long way to go.
Posted Image

Toma
Member Avatar
Audio, video, disco.
I wonder how Romania fares, we sure are skinny out here.
Feminist, anti-Muslim, pro-choice, atheist.

Caudium
Member Avatar
Anti-905er
JaM
May 19 2009, 06:51 PM
I'm inspired to go and get a sandwich. We gotta catch up with the Brits, and there's a long way to go.
LOL. I suggest you emulate the guy from the documentary "Supersize Me".

JaM
Member Avatar
It's a dirty job, but someones gotta do it.

Posted Image
Edited by JaM, May 24 2009, 06:01 PM.
Posted Image

Crimson Guard
Member Avatar
Never mind a big mac, harpoon a beached whale..

*Anyhow I thought this was a good article. I remember Beppe claiming Italian girls are overweight in Italy because of too much pasta. How wrong he was. ;)

Posted Image

Origin
Not seen many fatties in Portugal, except for this year's Eurovision entry.
Please don't PM me asking me to classify you!

Hyper Beam
Member Avatar
Toma
May 19 2009, 06:53 PM
I wonder how Romania fares, we sure are skinny out here.
Fairly slim I would guess.

Notice that it only includes the EU-15 countries, and is typical of a Daily Mail story... to make English women feel bad about themselves in comparison with the French women that do it so well. Very cliched.

And by the way, as for men getting away with being overweight... I wouldn't say that's necessarily true.

If anything, I think body fat looks much better and more acceptable on women than it does on men.
"You can't get more extreme than allowing our women to breed with Negroes!" - Simon Sheppard

"Once the White gene pool is polluted YOU CAN KISS THE BLONDES, REDHEADS AND FAIR SKINNED BRUNETTES GOODBYE FOREVER!" - James Von Brunn

Hyper Beam
Member Avatar
Origin
May 24 2009, 10:34 PM
Not seen many fatties in Portugal, except for this year's Eurovision entry.
Which one was that? Photos please to demonstrate.
"You can't get more extreme than allowing our women to breed with Negroes!" - Simon Sheppard

"Once the White gene pool is polluted YOU CAN KISS THE BLONDES, REDHEADS AND FAIR SKINNED BRUNETTES GOODBYE FOREVER!" - James Von Brunn

Moscow
Member Avatar
Not surprise to see Britain at the top but Greece. wtf,,, I thought Mediterranean diet was healthy. *_*

topos
Member Avatar
Pro Member
France over Italy, just as expected.

gruffpup
Any one that gives the WHO credence for anything other than being a third world propaganda machine is illiterate in foreign affairs, equally any one following or giving credence to the BMI is a blithering idiot. It not only objectifys idiotic stereo types as being valid it also stereo types people incorrectly due to variations in the physical make up of differing people across all ethnic and regional backgrounds, so those who tout it are usually phobic about body shapes and are almost with out any variance hateful and self-righteous types that do to scientific facts what born again frauds on television do with the Christian Bible, it's cal cut and paste and can make any book look like it's entirely different from it's actual content simply by taking things from it out of context and reassembling the information into Dis or Mis -information. The Europeans started the same damnable technique with statistics concerning the weather and Viola! were saddle with pseudo-science inaccurate fact sheet touters pushing an agenda that's emotionally biased and factually inaccurate.Just like their hero Obama's promises, just plain lies made to look legit.

cppman
Member Avatar
^J^
Threads like this give fat people bad self esteem, then they go sue and win.
"I don't dislike you, I simple don't care!" - Quote by myself.

hypercube
Member Avatar
East Baltids Forever!
No wonder they're so slim in France. Sarah said they can't eat for seven hours between meals.

The UK is probably the most similar to the US in food quality and junk food intake, so that's not surprising.
Edited by hypercube, Nov 14 2013, 11:33 PM.
Posted Image

MZN
Pro Member
Interesting since France is known for their pastry + they use lots of saturated fat and fast carbs. Good genes among the Frenchies? My family used to know a French family and I remember visiting them and they ate so sloooowly. Eating slowly makes you full faster.
Edited by MZN, Nov 15 2013, 12:31 AM.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MkRuV0aCcI[/youtube]

Nvard
Member Avatar
Balkan Emo
Romanians are the slimmest Euroes :cool:

http://www.romania-insider.com/eu-obesity-report-slim-trim-romania-big-fat-britain/41647/

A recent Eurostat report on obesity in EU member states shows Romania is the EU’s slimmest nation. The study caught the eye of the UK ambassador to Romania. Martin Harris’ own countrymen came out the fattest in Europe.

Starting by highlighting obesity as a serious public health concern, the report provides data on obesity rates for adults (18+) for EU states. The results, which give an overall percentage and percentage by age group, tell an interesting tale: it clearly shows large differences in obesity rates across the EU. Romania has the lowest incidence of obesity, defined as a Body Mass Index (BMI) over 30, with just 8 percent of women and 7.6 percent of men categorized as obese. The UK has the highest number: 23.9 percent of women and 22.1 percent of men. Educational level is also considered in the study and shows an almost uniform tendency for higher levels of education to equate to a lower incidence of obesity. Another trend across Europe appears to be older equals fatter. However a very high percentage of young UK women are obese- 16.6 percent in the age 18-24 bracket. In France 4.3 percent of women in this age group are obese, while just 1.6 percent of 18 to 24 year old Romanian women suffer from obesity.

Writing on his blog UK ambassador Martin Harris says, “I am no nutritionist so I can’t offer a scientific explanation as to why Romanians are in much better shape than Brits.” He cites the quality of Romanian food and its abundance of fresh, organically produced ingredients as an important factor and cautions Romanians against going over to the dark side of cuisine- fast food, pre-prepared meals and the global purveyors of highly marketed, highly unhealthy junk food.

The report gives the percentages for the US as a reference point, where obesity levels were a staggering 26.8 percent for women and 27.6 percent for men in 2009. Higher than anywhere in the EU, but Britain and a few other countries, such as Malta, Latvia, Hungary and Estonia are not far behind. Data for childhood obesity, arguably an even greater public health concern in many countries in the modern world, was not collected in this study.

Racism is a primitive, barbaric, outdated concept which goes very well with low intelligence
Posted Image

MZN
Pro Member
Nvard
Nov 15 2013, 12:52 AM
The report gives the percentages for the US as a reference point, where obesity levels were a staggering 26.8 percent for women and 27.6 percent for men in 2009. Higher than anywhere in the EU, but Britain and a few other countries, such as Malta, Latvia, Hungary and Estonia are not far behind. Data for childhood obesity, arguably an even greater public health concern in many countries in the modern world, was not collected in this study.

and Estonians call Finns fat :lol:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MkRuV0aCcI[/youtube]

Tsirkus
Member Avatar

Well it depends on what statistic you use
by this table in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index Romanians are thinnest in Europe Estonians are 2nd and Poles are 3 rd.
While Belarusians, Croatians and Brits are "fattest"
By males the thinnest are Romanians, Russians, Ukrainians and fattest are Croatians, Maltese and Greeks.
By females thinnest are Poles, Estonians and Bulgarians and fattest Belarusians, Cypriots and Icelanders.
( ͡ ʘ ͜ʖ ͡ʘ) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ( ͡ʘ ͜ʖ ͡ʘ)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Demography & Geography · Next Topic »
Add Reply