Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Welsh traits?
Topic Started: Mar 30 2009, 02:04 PM (43,701 Views)
xaphan906
Member Avatar
Bolnoy Bratchny
I'm pretty sure I'm posting this in the right section, but if I'm not, I apologize in advance.

What are some typical traits of Welsh people? Face, body, hair etc... is there anything that makes them stand out from the rest of the population in the British Isles?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Trog
Member Avatar
Psycho Nurse
I suppose people always think of a dark British type when they think of Wales. But I'll leave that to Merlin. Incidentally, both Coon and Baker noted a higher incidence of red hair in Wales than anywhere else in the British Isles.

You have came from Anthroforum?
People that talk in metaphors oughta shampoo my crotch.

Caudium
Member Avatar
Anti-905er
My sister had married a Welsh guy.

He had red-to-auburn hair.

Origin
Member Avatar
It's hard to say. It is sometimes easier to distinguish than others. The stereotype in anthro forums are dark haired, dark eyed people like Catherine Zeta Jones, Kelly Jones (Stereophonics), James Dean Bradfield (Manic Street Preachers), Gavin Henson, Ioan Gruffudd and the like. This dark attribute is said to be the remainders of the indigenous Brythonic people. That trait spills over into England as well to an extent, and for every swarthy one there's a fair Rhys Ifans as well.

Others who might exemplify a dark Welsh look:
Terry Jones
John Rhys-Davies
Sian Phillips
Shakin' Stevens
The general looks of Funeral for a Friend and Super Furry Animals
Rhodri Morgan
Joe Calzaghe (bear in mind his dad's Sicilian, but he doesn't take after his dad so I've included him - after all he's as Welsh looking as they get to me)
Juliette Lewis (predominately Welsh descent, looks like Welsh people I've known)
Please don't PM me asking me to classify you!

Merlin
Member Avatar
Senior Wizard.
Origin
Mar 31 2009, 12:48 AM
It's hard to say. It is sometimes easier to distinguish than others. The stereotype in anthro forums are dark haired, dark eyed people like Catherine Zeta Jones, Kelly Jones (Stereophonics), James Dean Bradfield (Manic Street Preachers), Gavin Henson, Ioan Gruffudd and the like. This dark attribute is said to be the remainders of the indigenous Brythonic people. That trait spills over into England as well to an extent, and for every swarthy one there's a fair Rhys Ifans as well.

Others who might exemplify a dark Welsh look:
Terry Jones
John Rhys-Davies
Sian Phillips
Shakin' Stevens
The general looks of Funeral for a Friend and Super Furry Animals
Rhodri Morgan
Joe Calzaghe (bear in mind his dad's Sicilian, but he doesn't take after his dad so I've included him - after all he's as Welsh looking as they get to me)
Juliette Lewis (predominately Welsh descent, looks like Welsh people I've known)
Couldn't have put it better myself. However, Calzaghe's dad is Sardinian. ;)
There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first kind is excellent, the second good, and the third kind useless - Niccolo Machiavelli

Posted Image

Origin
Member Avatar
Ah I stand corrected. Still, you get the idea.
Please don't PM me asking me to classify you!

Tassie
xaphan when I think of Wales, I just think of Welsh people and the scenery. I don't see Welsh people as any different to other British or even Irish people. All the same types physically. Culturally, linguistically, even religiously I see Welsh people as different but not their looks.

Sian Phillips is quite an old duck now but seeing her in old movies/TV shows she looks marble white. What is the definition of dark here? Black hair or at least brown/black is not unusual among the British Celts, but it is not uncommon in England too.

Never heard of Calzaghe, sounds like a sausage or a stocking. I hate boxing. Found an article with photo of him and his old man in the background. The bugger looks a lot like his old man without the woggy moustache.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxingandmma/joecalzaghe/4538612/Calzaghe-retires-a-modern-great.html

Crimson Guard
Member Avatar
Pro Member

From John Baker:

Quote:

The geographical distribution of hair color in the British isles was studied ion some detail towards the end of the 19th century by John Beddoe, who had devised a useful(if somewhat arbitary) index of negrescence'. The index expresses in rather a roundabout way the proportion of dark-haired to light-haired people of the country, in his time. He prepared a detailed map, illustrating the distribution of hair-color. It shows clearly that the tendency towards the possession of dark hair was more marked in Wales than in England, and still more marked in the western districts of Ireland.

The general accuracy of Beddoe's map is confirmed by an investigation carried out some seventy years later, by methods involving the use of a recording spectrophometer to establish the colors of thousands specimens of hair, and substitution of modern statistical techniques for Beddoe's somewhat arbitrary method for translating his visual impressions into numbers. The latter's map of 1885 and Sunderland's of 1956 agree remarkably well, and both show clearly the high incidence of dark hair in Wales. The only sharp difference between the two maps reflects the ever-shifting population of London. Beddoe was mistaken in supposing that the peoples of Great Britain would become 'inextricably confused' in a single generation.

It is worth remarking that there is rather a high proportion of people with red hair in Wales, and that no fully satisfactory explanation of this fact has been provided.

Hair color is only one indication among many that a Mediterranid element has persisted in Great Britain since Neolithic times. That this persistence has been particularly obvious in Wales was emphasized more than half a century ago by Fleure and James in a very long and detailed paper on the physical characters of the people of that country.

Here is an interesting passage as well:

Quote:

Sir Gavin de Beer remarked, "In...Ireland, Wales, and Scotland, are found people with dark eyes and jet-black hair who have, completely erroneously, been spoken of as "Celtic".'

The modern known reality of red hair is that it is a mutation that occurs after several generations of dark hair, there is no red-headed sub-race and it is unrelated to blond.

Coon on the hair color among the Welsh:

Quote:

In Wales, 10 per cent of the total have black hair, and only 8 per cent are fair in the English sense. Dark brown predominates over medium brown, while red, which averages 5 per cent, runs as high as 9 per cent in small localities. Beddoe finds as much as 86 to 89 per cent of black and dark brown hair in such places as Newquay and Denbighshire Upland. On the whole, Wales, in accordance with its mountainous character and its general preservation of ancient cultural traits, is a region of strong local variability, which manifests itself particularly in pigmentation.

Red and reddish-brown(chestnut/auburn) hair is common in Southern Italy as well:

Quote:

Ten per cent are freckled. About 30 per cent have black hair, and 48 per cent dark brown; reddish brown shades, or dark to medium brown with a reddish glint, account for some 16 per cent, while the remaining 6 per cent have light brown or blondish colors. Pure dark eyes are found among 44 per cent of those studied; mixed eyes among 50 per cent, and pure light eyes among 6 per cent. The high ratio of reddish shades in the hair and of mixed eyes reflects the strong Alpine strain in this population, as does the large minority of non-brunet skin colors and the presence of freckling. Of the mixed eyes, the majority are dark-mixed, and green-brown combination are three times as common as blue-brown and gray-brown put together.

I have that reddish-brown hair and dark brown eyes combo which ancestral to Southern Italy, so does my mother but she has very light green eyes.

Posted Image

Robert
Member Avatar
Pro Member
ex gf of mine.

I think she's a good example of someone with strong welsh features.

She's not sane...

Posted Image
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48ErmfiV6nM[/youtube]

SuperStack
Member Avatar
It could also be used that Frank Sinatra was a Mediterranean, so therefore Mediterraneans are also very common in north European country X.
Posted Image
Edited by SuperStack, Apr 7 2009, 09:53 PM.

SuperStack
Member Avatar
When I think of Welsh I think of this.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Guy in blue not Welsh.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by SuperStack, Apr 7 2009, 10:46 PM.

Crimson Guard
Member Avatar
Pro Member
Welsh Beauty is in the Genes
Quote:

Catherine [Zeta Jones] is a case of a natural Celtic beauty.

"She stands out in Hollywood as the one with the curves and the jet black hair - that comes from her Welsh blood - when a lot of women can look a bit bland."

The idea of classic Welsh features that are passed down through the generations is one supported by Swansea-based academic, Professor Paul Brain.

The evolutionary zoologist has done a number of studies on the link between biology and psychology and believes the Welsh gene pool has elements which can help women with a Welsh heritage in the beauty stakes.

"In Welsh women, I suspect that it is something to do with their overall shape - the symmetry of their facial features is very regular.

"They tend to have long lustrous dark hair and are pretty fine boned."

"With Welsh women, the contrast in their looks - between the Celtic dark hair and the white of their skins - is an attractive combination.

Mr Breverton said pictures of historical Welsh beauties, such as Nell Gwyn, the mistress of Charles II, showed they had full lips.

"Zeta Jones is typically Welsh looking and has dark skin which is not unusual in the south west region of Wales.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/2776037.stm
Posted Image

Oluwasegun
Member Avatar
Crimson Guard
Apr 7 2009, 07:59 PM

I have that reddish-brown hair and dark brown eyes combo which ancestral to Southern Italy, so does my mother but she has very light green eyes.

You don't look Welsh, neither do southern Italians. The Welsh are probably the most robust looking people in western Europe, besides Danes perhaps. And in the hundreds of southern Italians I've ever known, none have had red hair

Llangefni

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by Oluwasegun, Apr 7 2009, 10:52 PM.

european666
Suprised no one else mentioned how broad the Welsh are, its the first thing I notice when I see someone Welsh (usually). Although they tend to be slightly smaller than the English, on a par height-wise maybe with the west coast scots and Irish though. They can be quite dark, but also very fair. There is also an increased chance of red hair, but not as often as with the Scots or Irish , but more than the English and certainly more than contientals.

I had the pleasure of living in Wales for 3 years FYI.

Merlin
Member Avatar
Senior Wizard.
european666
Apr 8 2009, 05:08 PM

I had the pleasure of living in Wales for 3 years FYI.
I hope we looked after you! ;)
There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first kind is excellent, the second good, and the third kind useless - Niccolo Machiavelli

Posted Image

Matt.matt1985
well i am welsh (italians parent tho) but still.sort of the idea i guess
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 246688_10150634314325601_761185600_19023752_5632665_n.jpg (17.17 KB)
Edited by Matt.matt1985, Oct 5 2011, 02:12 PM.

Angrals
Member Avatar
The Children of Māda
Welsh people seem to be shorter on average.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Eurogenes K13:
North European 7.25%
Mediterranean 15.96%
South Asian 6.79%
Southwest Asian 9.82%
Caucasus 29.97%
West Central Asian 28.20%

New Englander
Member Avatar
my grandfather is southern italian and has red/brown curly hair when younger...does he look southern italian or do you guys think im crazy
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 5889_1154585223873_1204974520_30539232_81160_n.jpg (36.87 KB)
Attachments: untitled.bmp (180.52 KB)
Edited by New Englander, Oct 5 2011, 11:54 PM.

Brundlefly
Member Avatar
Edited by Brundlefly, Nov 4 2011, 08:34 PM.

Sclass
Welsh traits = the same traits as the rest of the Isles..

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Physical Anthropology · Next Topic »
Add Reply