Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: .... What grade would you give Tracfone/Net10/Straight Talk's customer service?
A
B
C
D
F
Poll Maker
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 6 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) LG Optimus Dynamic II (L39C) Phone Topic
Topic Started: October 3, 2013, 2:29 pm (36,906 Views)
Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts, or questions on this phone, please post it all here ... thanks.

* Attention Turkamaniacs: Tracfone Promotion Codes do not work with the new Tracfone Android Phones.

* Tracfone LG Dynamic 2 Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?custId=TFLGL39C
* Net10 LG Dynamic 2 Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?custId=NTLGL39C

* Located in the Topics Forum: Tracfone/Net10 - Apps for Androids - we discuss different apps for android devices.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* I decided to take Slivros's phone pictures, questions & answers, and put it the first few posts of this new page.
Slivros

Phone arrived today... Here's the first images of the packaging and contents.

Front cover clearly shows the Verizon coverage map and CDMA-V in the bottom left corner:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Everything that's in the box:
Posted Image

Card that came inserted in the phone:
Posted Image

Battery:
Posted Image

That's all I have for now. Answers to your questions and review coming soon!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I decided to take Slivros's phone pictures, questions & answers, and put it the first few posts of this new page.

Slivros

I'm going to separate the questions and review into different posts just to keep it orderly. First, the questions.

Turk

How is the cell tower signal reception - good/bad?
Fair. Generally it hovers between two and three bars, not any lower or higher. I am uncertain of my approximate location to the nearest Verizon tower, but I don't consider it all that bad based on the fact that AT&T is the major player in my area.

Turk

How is the WiFi signal reception - good/bad?
Very good. Based on the usual distance I am away from my wireless equipment ~65 ft., the phone has no problem picking up a consistent signal and maintaining a connection. Even though it is a poor connection at that distance, there has been no noticeable drops and no trouble downloading.

Turk

How is the web browsing speed - good/bad?
I tried browsing with both the native browser and Chrome. Surprisingly, the native browser typically beat out Chrome in both start up time and loading web pages, at least in my observations. I neglected to use data in my tests and stuck with WiFi throughout, so I can't answer for both. Most often, I had to wait a few seconds before I was allowed to interact with web pages, but general web browsing speed is relatively quick/tolerable.

Turk

Does it come with a built in FM Radio app?
Nope. But here are the apps that came installed by default:

Spoiler: click to toggle

Turk

The screen size is 3.8 inch ... but how wide is the screen? - the screen looks wider than normal.
Depends on what you call normal. But yes, it does appear a bit wider than average. Now, I don't have any dial or digital caliper like that one guy in the review videos does, but I do have a nice ruler.

Turk

The menu background color is white ... can you change the background color from white to black or other colors?
No. Doesn't appear to be any way to change it. Theme doesn't change it, and there's no accessibility options for it. Likely hard coded as part of the LG ROM merged with native 4.1.2. Only probable way to change it is to root the phone. Sorry for the folks who have difficulty seeing text on white backgrounds.

Turk

I don't think this phone has a speaker on the back of it... where does the speaker sound come from, the front earhole?
Yes sir! You're right on the money. Everything sound wise comes through that speaker. Quality speaker, if I do say so.

Turk

Can you tell us how the taking picture(s) quality is, even though I'm sure it's on par with the other Tracfone androids.
Well I can tell you, but I can also provide examples. The quality is average to sub-par, depending on your level of expectation. There's a slew of settings to mess around with, but I did what could with these:

ciliegia

how is the sound quality of the phone?
Much better in voice apps like Skype than in calls. Could be many factors that affect this, but in short, it's not terrible, just not crystal clear. Somewhere in the middle.

ciliegia

how is the sound quality of the phone on speaker?
There's the usual sound vibrations/distortion on higher volumes, but it's alright. I'm led to believe the speaker on this phone is a little better than others.

ciliegia

is the ring tone (which ever you use) loud enough (especially if phone is in your pocket or in a purse)?
At max volume, it is sufficiently loud enough that you probably don't want to hold it to your ear while it is ringing. In a quiet environment, it can be heard a few rooms away. And depending on the purse or pocket, the sound will be muffled slightly, but still likely to be heard. Definitely equal to if not a little louder than the LG 840G.

ciliegia

When you check out the web browsing, how is it after a few days (it should be great the first day or so) when
you have started downloading things?
I've only downloaded updates and a few apps so far. The speed is fine for now, no slowdowns. I don't exactly understand what the relation between downloading and browsing speed is though.

ciliegia

When you downloaded apps, can you put the apps on the micro disk or does it go directly to the phone's hd?
By default, they're downloaded to the phone's internal memory. But after some investigating, it seems like it is a developer option to choose whether or not they want their apps moved. For most of my apps, they cannot be moved (the option 'Move to SD card' is greyed out), which makes sense for some like Google's apps, but for others, I assume it is a restriction set in place by the people who made it. Apps like Skype, however, can be freely moved to the card.

grinfidel

All I'm really curious about is whether the LG 39c has a compass sensor?
Yes, the phone has a magnetometer. Here's some info about it:

Posted Image

Below

Can you take screenshots with the power + down volume button?
Yes you most certainly can. In fact, that was one of the first things I tried when I got the phone. You can also press both the up and down volume buttons to take a screenshot and instantly edit it. LG calls it quickmemo.

ciliegia

So, my question about downloading really had to deal with (no disrespect to Cookie Monster)... cookies.
They slow down computers and android tablets.

How does the phone feel in your hand? For example, I had the LG 800, and it always kept sliding out of my hand,
even with a case around it; the Lg 840, on the other hand, feels great and it has never slipped away...and nothing
on it to prevent it from sliding.

How wide is the screen (horizontally)? and vertically? ... The measurements they give are diagonally.

mroll

ciliegia
January 17, 2014, 11:50 pm
How wide is the screen (horizontally)? and vertically? ... The measurements they give are diagonally.
From Slivros' expanded comments:
"It measures approximately 2 1/8" wide, 3 3/16" tall, and 3 13/16" diagonal. (Converted 2.12" x 3.19" | 3.81")"

I ordered one today from HSN with their package deal, but that ZTE Valet for $50 on sale at Radio Shack has me
thinking of cancelling the order. I've just had really good luck with LG phones though.

Slivros

Handling
The phone has a nice, weighted feel to it when held in the hand. It also has a nice balance to it and doesn't feel overly uncomfortable or awkward to hold. Of course, this is coming from someone with large hands, so I can't speak for everyone in this instance.

But since I brought up the topic, there is one thing to note, and it is that part of my palm extends over the screen and touch sensitive buttons, occasionally causing an issue where I accidentally hit the recent apps button when extending my thumb to reach something in the far corner of the screen. A minor issue, but something I thought I'd make note of for individuals with larger hands.

Exterior
Nearly the entire surface of the phone is glossy, excluding the matte silver trim piece that separates the top and bottom halves of the phone.

When you look up close, the back cover has a simulated brushed texture, and there's a simulated bumpy texture covering the edges, power, and volume control buttons, which I guess would indicate where your grip would naturally lie. However, this serves no purpose other than for aesthetics, as the surface remains smooth to the touch.

With that in mind, the phone is a magnet for fingerprints. If you don't maintain a habit of wiping off smudges and/or have a tendency to drop things, then I predict this might be a problem when handling the phone. I would also argue that a case is a must have for this device.

Quick description of the phone layout:

• 3.5mm headphone jack is located on the top left side.
  • Power button is located on the right edge of the phone near the top. It is raised slightly.
  • Volume up/down rocker is located the the left edge of the phone near the top. It is raised slightly and appears as a single button.
  • 3.0MP camera is located in the top left corner on the rear of the phone.
  • USB Micro type B port is centered on the bottom edge of the phone. The phone's microphone is slightly up and to right of it.
  • 4 (Back, Home, Menu, Recent Apps) touch sensitive buttons are in a row under the display. They do not light up.
  • Speaker (centered) and proximity sensor (to the right) are located above the display and LG logo.
  • For those that are concerned about logos, there are 3 on the phone. One LG logo on the front above the display, one centered on the back of the phone, and the Tracfone logo on the back of the phone near the bottom.

Display
The display is what sells this phone, but it is not without its flaws.

The first I noticed when interacting with the screen is that there's a strange feeling of flexibility to it, namely because the layer covering the screen is a thin rigid plastic, and it's a foreign feeling to me. But just to clarify, it doesn't actually move, and in fact it is very similar to the screen on the LG 840G. Regardless, I've adjusted to it, but it's definitely not what I was expecting.

Interactions:

The screen is very responsive, and even though there was a few instances of input delay, the phone has registered my motions the first time, every time. The same can be said for the touch sensitive buttons underneath the display.

* As a side note however, there was a few times where the screen suddenly shut off on me when interacting with it. But whether it was related to the digitizer or something else, is unknown. It's just the thought of the screen going haywire one day and registering whatever it feels like that scares me.

Resolution:

This is an area where phone could have benefited from an improvement. With a bump in size of the screen, it surely should have warranted an equal bump in resolution. Small text is what's most noticeably pixelated, but luckily remains legible. I ended up changing the text to large just to try to mitigate the issue, and it helped greatly.

Audio
Since I already covered the important aspects of the sound quality in the questions and answers post, I'm just going to go off of what hasn't already been said.

Playback:

To get an idea of how well the phone processed audio and played it back through the speaker, I conducted two main tests.

First, I did an echo test with the Skype app, recording my voice several times, both up close and at a distance, and hearing it play back, with the speakerphone both on and off. The microphone did a pretty good job at picking up from a distance, which means this phone will likely do a pretty good job at picking up background noise in calls as well. Playback of voice was perfectly clear and distinct, all while under a WiFi connection.

Secondly, I used the YouTube app to browse a few videos. One, a music video, the other, a commentary. No noticeable distortion on max volume, and everything that could possibly be heard in the videos, was heard. I also plugged in headphones during the test, from which the phone automatically adjusted its levels to prevent blown eardrums. The sound quality over the headphones lacked range, and things sounded a bit dampened, but you could still hear what was being played.

General playback and other sounds of the phone can be summarized in one word: Good.

Performance
Like I said in a previous post, I predicted this phone to only be marginally better than the others in the same category. If you were expecting it to be a premiere multi-tasker or to stand a foot above the other Tracfone Androids, then you'll be sorely disappointed.

Have I encountered slow downs? Yes, and they're pretty apparent when they do occur. The most noticeable thing is stuttering of menus when running a few apps in the background. Other slowdowns have caused input delay and transition delay between menus. One thing I haven't tried yet is running a game or some other intensive app, both of which would obviously cause the most stress on the phone. But just to give everyone an idea of the phone is capable of, I ran a benchmark:

OS
For those that paid attention to the specifications, you would know that the phone is running Android 4.1.2, otherwise more commonly known by its project name, Jelly Bean. Here's a screenshot of that information:

Posted Image

But for this section, there's just one thing in particular that I wanted to point out. With the added touch sensitive menu button below the screen, LG has taken the liberty to rearrange some things. In short, they're made shortcuts to certain options much more convenient. For instance, when the menu button is touched while on the home screen, it brings up these options:

Posted Image

With the freed up space in the pulldown menu, they've added a scrolling list of options for things such as Bluetooth, GPS, Data, and so on that you can quickly turn on and off without having to take the extra step to browse to the settings. I found this to be a nicely added convenience factor. Whether this is a feature on other phones, I do not know. But I like it. I like it a lot. And to clarify what I'm taking about, I've taken these screenshots:

Conclusion
If I were asked to give a description of the phone in my own words, I would call it the "Bigger, smarter, brother of the LG 840G", or "Like an 840G on steroids". As obvious as that may sound, the point from where I stand with those words is somewhere I think many would understand. I believe it takes all the attractive qualities of what the 840G has to offer and wraps it up nicely in a smartphone package. But whether or not people feel the same way, remains to be seen.

In my opinion, the phone doesn't have any major discernible flaws, other than to the eye of the beholder. For those that are in a Verizon service area, I would tell you that the phone is great! And for those who unfortunately do not live in such an area, well then I would tell you that have a great pocket sized tablet.

As for the price point, well, I'm no expert on the market, but personally, I think the sweet spot for this phone would be around ~$89. Now I'm not saying the phone still isn't worth it at its current price, it's just what I feel would be the most attractive price. I'm awfully curious where the price will stand once the demand reaches a constant level.

My rating: 4.2 Turks of out 5.

Slivros

There's my review everyone. Hopefully it gives you a general idea of what the phone has to offer. It's a pretty big
upgrade from what I was using previously - a Samsung s425g. If there's anything that I haven't covered that you
wish to know more about, feel free to ask. I'll do my best to provide an accurate response.

hpham
Member Avatar

You said the screen flexes a bit. Is it resistive (pressure activated) or capacitive (electrical conductivity activated)?

Most resistive screens flex (like the LG 800g) and capacitive screens are hard (like the LG 840g).

Slivros

hpham
January 18, 2014, 1:05 am
You said the screen flexes a bit. Is it resistive (pressure activated) or capacitive (electrical conductivity activated)?
Most resistive screens flex (like the LG 800g) and capacitive screens are hard (like the LG 840g).
It's capacitive. Maybe flex wasn't exactly the right word to use, because there is no visible flex to the screen, it's just
the sensation of tapping on a rigid plastic surface that I don't like. It feels and sounds hollow. Guess I'm just spoiled
on glass screens.

Updated my review to clarify.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

I checked out the HSN site and saw they had a video presentation of the LG 39c, and according to them (at about
4:07 in the video) they said that it operates on ATT/T-Mobile which I thought was strange since they were supposed
to be using Verizon. Also they said it may be a few months before the phones are available in retail stores and they
were the only ones to carry it right now :ermm: It's a pretty good presentation and gives a decent preview, it runs about
14 minutes.

http://www.hsn.com/products/lg-optimus-android-tracfone-w600-minutes-texts-and-data/1089005

Tarkio101

Is it just me, or did some others miss this phone coming out? I guess I glanced at the name of the phone and
thought it was the old 2.3 phone that came out with the other androids when they all first came out.

Looks like an interesting phone. Definitely a step up from the existing androids on tracfone. Bigger screen,
better processor, newer android. I wish I had it, but will have to stick with the Centura for a while, since I've
only had it for a short time and like it pretty well.

annepani

phoenix1
January 18, 2014, 2:07 am
I checked out the HSN site and saw they had a video presentation of the LG 39c, and ... they said it may be a
few months before the phones are available in retail stores and they were the only ones to carry it right now.
Someone should tell them that shopcelldeals has been selling it on ebay for about a week now, and $5 cheaper.
Or more if you are in a state where HSN charges sales tax.

tfuser19

annepani
January 18, 2014, 8:16 am
phoenix1
January 18, 2014, 2:07 am
I checked out the HSN site and saw they had a video presentation of the LG 39c, and ... they said it may be a
few months before the phones are available in retail stores and they were the only ones to carry it right now.
Someone should tell them that shopcelldeals has been selling it on ebay for about a week now, and $5 cheaper.
Or more if you are in a state where HSN charges sales tax.
For $5 more the HSN.com deal includes a lot more than just the phone and 600/600/600 and may be a much better
deal depending on your needs and how you value the included extras.

The HSN.com video claims an total value of $484 :) - which we all know should be taken with a boulder of salt -
but I would look at the list of included bonuses and watch the video before deciding where to buy it.

Since I bought my Centura when they came out, I'll wait for the L40C. ;)

PS: Slivros - thanks for your extensive writeup on the L39C. If you or anyone else finds a good case for it or know
what other models fit this phone, please let us know.

mroll

Thanks for your extensive evaluation, Slivros. It's very much appreciated... As I now have one on the way, my
next question (like tfuser19) is if there's another model with the same layout and size that could be used to obtain
a case for the L39C. I went with HSN because some of the "hundreds of dollars" of extras had about $30 worth of
value to me.

OT, but Radio Shack now has the Centura for $80 in addition to the Valet for $50, supposedly through March.
Maybe that means some new phones will appear then.

jammnjeff

I got this don't know if its what your looking for ... fit great but had to move the microphone hole.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151159382922?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Posted Image

Slivros

mroll
January 18, 2014, 1:30 pm
Thanks for your extensive evaluation, Slivros. It's very much appreciated... As I now have one on the way, my
next question (like tfuser19) is if there's another model with the same layout and size that could be used to obtain
a case for the L39C. I went with HSN because some of the "hundreds of dollars" of extras had about $30 worth of
value to me.

OT, but Radio Shack now has the Centura for $80 in addition to the Valet for $50, supposedly through March.
Maybe that means some new phones will appear then.
This phone's closest relative is the Optimus L4 II, in which both share the same dimensions, design, and screen size.
However, all the cases I managed to find were for the L4 E440, which was an earlier version, and seemingly it looks
like the cutout for the microphone is in a different place. If you manage to find a case for the LG Optimus L4 II E445,
then that is the one to get.

I don't have a clue as to when we'll actually see a case made specifically for the L39C, but I half expected HSN to be
the first to introduce one with their bundle. On the other hand, if you're looking to get a screen protector, then any one
that fits the design like this will work.

Hope you enjoy your L39C when it arrives.

tfuser19

jammnjeff,

Thanks for posting the picture and link which lets us know that the LG Optimus L4 II E440 case works but requires
modification for microphone hole... Did all the other cutouts/volume button recess match and does the case fit well
otherwise?

How do you like the phone so far?

tfuser19

Slivros and jammnjeff,

Do these E445 pictures look like the holes/buttons are in the same places for the E445 and L39C?
http://www.lg.com/in/mobile-phones/lg-OPTIMUS-L4II-Dual-E445-mobile-phones/technical-specifications

Click on the ENLARGE button above the leftmost thumbnail on that page to see large pictures.

PepperPot

Well there is not much more I can add because Slivros did a thorough job in his review. I figured I would add a couple of pic's for reference and write on a few things I noticed in comparison to the Samsung Centura.

The width of the Samsung Centura is 1 14/16, diagonally 3.5 inches
The width of the LG L39c is 2 1/16, diagonally 3 12/16
The width of the LG 840g is 1 14/16, diagonally 3 2/16

Posted Image

In this pic I lined up the screen from the top:
Posted Image

Personally I like the form factor. Although the LG has a larger screen, overall the Samsung is still larger in length and only slightly shorter in width. For anyone familiar with the Nexus 7 2nd generation, the Lg L39c looks like the Nexus with less bezel on the top and bottom. I would guess not including the lights for the menu bar allowed LG a little more real estate for the screen in a relatively small-medium phone. I was a little dissapointed by the lack of the menu lights but its not a big deal. Im sure it also contributes to a longer battery life.

• Call quality. I have not spoken to anyone yet, but I called my voice mail and I received a call from WhatApp and it sounds clear and loud. At 75% volume I held the phone away from my ear and still heard my voice mail. How people hear me is still in question. I'm also not sure how clear VOIP Apps will sound. I had mixed results on the Samsung.
  • Music listening. While listening to music on the 840g songs would cut out for a sec or two. It was random. I could never figure out a pattern. It was like pressing the mute button throughout the song a few times. The Samsung on the other hand did something entirely different. Every once and a while I heard distortions throughout the song. There have been no random mutes or distortions on the LG thus far. The speaker on this phone is also pretty good.
  • Screen rotation. There is less than a second delay after you turn the phone but it rotates instantly afterwards. Sometimes I had to spin my Samsung in a full circle before it rotated. In fairness though, it did not happen often.
  • You can change icons on this phone. Not a deal maker or braker but I thought I would mention it.
  • MMS messaging actually works. I sent a pic. It took about a minute idling but it went through.
  • Voice recognition appears to be very responsive.
  • My sony MW600 bluetooth works perfect with this phone. There was a considerable drop in the volume when I paired it to the 840g and Centura. Also, none of them displayed the name of the songs. The volume is the same after I paired it with the L39c. Actually it sounds slightly louder and the name of the song finally scrolls across the screen.

I don't have much dislikes yet because I need time to see how this phone responds to my everyday activity, but the camera is a let down. It's awful. I actually think the 840g has a better camera. Go figure! The Centura Camera is certainly better. For comparsion I took two similar pic's. The first is the LG. The second is the Samsung. I hope this camera fares better outdoors. On my next hiking trip I will get a better feel for it in natural lighting. Also, my tracfone widget and application is not showing the remaining balance. I doubt that is an LG issue. Probably a server or software issue.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tech
Member Avatar

I sure do appreciate all of the feedback on this device. I'm not going to get it until next month so it will be a birthday gift to myself.

Is there any way to change that cloud background though when flipping through apps to like black or something or is it a part of some hidden stuff that is locked from the end user?

also, are there any limitations on the music player? I know that the LG 840g was limited to 2000.

ciliegia

Among one of the many of the reasons I'm interesred in this phone has to deal with my next question: can MS Outlook e-mail be used on this phone? I know about Yahoo and Google e-mail, but my university only communicates via MS and this is, therefore, work important.

hrhenry

ciliegia
January 18, 2014, 10:01 pm
Among one of the many of the reasons I'm interesred in this phone has to deal with my next question: can MS Outlook e-mail be used on this phone? I know about Yahoo and Google e-mail, but my university only communicates via MS and this is, therefore, work important.
I suppose you could be referring to either outlook.com or actually syncing Exchange's Outlook mail. In any case, both are available in the Google Play store.

If it's just outlook.com, you've got a lot of choice. If you are looking to sync with an Exchange mailbox, look for something called mOffice - Outlook Sync. There are others out there, too.

Slivros

tfuser19
January 18, 2014, 2:57 pm
Slivros and jammnjeff,

Do these E445 pictures look like the holes/buttons are in the same places for the E445 and L39C?
http://www.lg.com/in/mobile-phones/lg-OPTIMUS-L4II-Dual-E445-mobile-phones/technical-specifications

Click on the ENLARGE button above the leftmost thumbnail on that page to see large pictures.
Yes, most definitely. And if it wasn't for the flash and differing touch sensitive button on the L4 II, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the two apart just from outward appearance.

Tech
January 18, 2014, 9:09 pm
I sure do appreciate all of the feedback on this device. I'm not going to get it until next month so it will be a birthday gift to myself.

Is there any way to change that cloud background though when flipping through apps to like black or something or is it a part of some hidden stuff that is locked from the end user?
You can change the background for the home screen, lock screen, and apps/widgets screen. Here's the selection of preinstalled wallpapers for the lock and home screen:

And the apps screen:

Tech
January 18, 2014, 9:09 pm
also, are there any limitations on the music player? I know that the lg840g was limited to 2000.
Good question, but I don't have a definitive answer. I assume it's only limited to the space you have available on your external storage and/or phone, but I could be wrong.

ciliegia
January 18, 2014, 10:01 pm
I'm unsure. The e-mail app that came installed on the phone only brought up these options for setting up an account:

Posted Image Other just prompts for an e-mail address and password.

If nothing else, you can always get the Outlook app from the Google Play store.

Tech
Member Avatar

Slivros, thank you for answering my question about the app background. As silly as it sounds, If I wasn't able to change that, I wouldn't buy the thing. Silly, I know, but that and purple themes that you couldn't change like on the lg840g aggravated me to no end.

One more irregular question, if you don't mind. When you have the phone plugged in and call or text yourself, is the ringtone different than the one you hear when it's not plugged into your computer? And, if so, is that ringtone (that you hear while it's plugged in...if it's different) available to change in the ringtone options list? On the lg840g there was a pre-programmed set of tones that you heard if your phone was plugged in and they were not accessible on the list of tones to change. This was another little quirk that plucked me good.

runner

jammnjeff
January 16, 2014, 11:58 pm
Hi, need help, new to android, took the sd card out of my 840 put in my new 39c all that's on the card is music will
not show when I tap music?
What do you see when you go to: settings > storage > sd card storage?

On one phone when I put the card that was on my nonandroid phone (samsung 390 or lg 840) to an Android phone (ZTE Awe), it erased everything. On another phone the files I had on a nonandroid phone showed up.

of course, not the easiest method but:

I just had to reload the music. I did it the way I feel most comfortable with: I turned the phone off, took out the sd card out of phone and put into my computer, dragged and dropped the files I wanted (music and photos), unmount the sd card from computer (eject), put the sd card back to phone and turned the phone on and all the files I transferred were on my phone.

You can also transfer music if you have them stored in the cloud (but mine was downloading it to my phone not the sd card), or use bluetooth, or of course, data cable.

03bluecoupe
Member Avatar

Newbie Alert! First off, thanks to all who are contributing members. Seems to be a wealth of information shared here. I'm watching this thread intently as I think I finally have to break down and get a "smart" phone. My cell phone use is extremely limited and I currently have no text ability. I recently saw where that could prove useful so I'm in the market. I've concluded that the Tracfone service will suffice for my needs so then it came down to the phone. The main things about this one that caught my eye was the larger screen (for my fat fingers), the preload 600's and the lifetime 3x.

The biggest concern that I've read about is it possibly putting everything into system memory vs using the card which causes performance slowdowns/halts/issues.

Now, given that I've not had one of these beasts before, I'm not sure if it's just folks being really picky about performance of if it's a real concern that I should care about, so I'm watching this thread intently before I pull the trigger.

Having built linux/aix systems in the past and used them extensively though, I do like the idea of being able to root these things. Great potential for shooting ones foot. ;)

Anyhow, thanks for the great information on the site!

tfuser19

PepperPot,
Thanks for the pictures and writeup. How do you find the performance of the L39C over the Centura aside from the camera? I have a Centura and I'm fighting the urge to buy a L39C ;) with it's 20% larger screen.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

bluecoupe
January 19, 2014, 11:04 am
Newbie Alert! First off, thanks to all who are contributing members. Seems to be a wealth of information shared here. I'm watching this thread intently as I think I finally have to break down and get a "smart" phone. My cell phone use is extremely limited and I currently have no text ability. I recently saw where that could prove useful so I'm in the market. I've concluded that the Tracfone service will suffice for my needs so then it came down to the phone. The main things about this one that caught my eye was the larger screen (for my fat fingers), the preload 600's and the lifetime 3x.

The biggest concern that I've read about is it possibly putting everything into system memory vs using the card which causes performance slowdowns/halts/issues.

Now, given that I've not had one of these beasts before, I'm not sure if it's just folks being really picky about performance of if it's a real concern that I should care about, so I'm watching this thread intently before I pull the trigger.

Having built linux/aix systems in the past and used them extensively though, I do like the idea of being able to root these things. Great potential for shooting ones foot. ;)

On most phones, internal memory is limited, and fills up fast, so you move everything you can to the external memory (micrSD card). What specs I've seen say internal memory is 4GB. That is not a lot if you have a lot of music files. And some apps require they be in internal memory, and don't allow movement to external memory, so you have to leave room for them.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

runner
January 19, 2014, 10:41 am
jammnjeff
January 16, 2014, 11:58 pm
Hi, need help, new to android, took the sd card out of my 840 put in my new 39c all that's on the card is music will
not show when I tap music?
What do you see when you go to: settings > storage > sd card storage?

On one phone when I put the card that was on my nonandroid phone (samsung 390 or lg 840) to an Android phone (ZTE Awe), it erased everything. On another phone the files I had on a nonandroid phone showed up.

of course, not the easiest method but:

I just had to reload the music. I did it the way I feel most comfortable with: I turned the phone off, took out the sd card out of phone and put into my computer, dragged and dropped the files I wanted (music and photos), unmount the sd card from computer (eject), put the sd card back to phone and turned the phone on and all the files I transferred were on my phone.

You can also transfer music if you have them stored in the cloud (but mine was downloading it to my phone not the sd card), or use bluetooth, or of course, data cable.
If the LG L39C came with a microSD card included, look at it on your PC and see what the file folders are named. On the LG 840G, the folder that contains your music is a sub-folder named "Music" inside of a folder named 'Audio." If the LG L39C is looking for a different folder name on a different path then it may not be able to find your music unless you change your music folder and path to the name(s) it expects.

jammnjeff

I have music on my card now, only would play if they were mp3 mine were in wma windows media audio.

03bluecoupe
Member Avatar

DoctorM
On most phones, internal memory is limited, and fills up fast, so you move everything you can to the external memory (micrSD card). What specs I've seen say internal memory is 4GB. That is not a lot if you have a lot of music files. And some apps require they be in internal memory, and don't allow movement to external memory, so you have to leave room for them.
Thanks for the reply. What I read though was that it kept putting things on the internal and it just kept filling up and people had to keep re-moving things to the micro card. Could be much adu about nothing - don't know. I'm really getting it to use as a phone, texting and maybe look stuff up on the net once in a while so I may just go ahead and order it from HSN - they have a 30 day return policy so if things keep filling up the internals and I can't re-direct to the card I'll send it back and get one of the others.

tfuser19

bluecoupe,
If one keeps music, videos, and other non-app files on external microSD, there should not be an issue with internal SD size. My Centura is fine following that advice.

03bluecoupe
Member Avatar

That wasn't the issue tfuser19, I'm trying to find where I read the review of it. It had something to do with apps but I don't recall. If/when I find it, I'll put the details here.

Edit: I give up. I can't locate it. But I've done so much reading on them lately I could be confusing another review with the L39C. I guess I'll jump into the frey with this one. It'll probably do more than I care to.

hpham
Member Avatar

bluecoupe,

If you mainly use the phone for talk, text, Internet, you shouldn't have problems with the phone performance. Most devices/computers slow down when there are too many applications being run at the same time and there isn't enough RAM to handle the work. Whether the apps are stored on the phone internal memory or the SD card is not a factor once they've been loaded into RAM for execution.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I just want to say thanks very much to Slivros and PepperPot and jammnjeff for all the information on this phone!
* Slivros and PepperPot ... thanks for all the pictures and answers to all our questions - your reviews were AWESOME!

* The phone seems nice... glad you can change the white background color in the menu to a different color, I didn't care
* for the white cloud background.

* Also, you guys say the 4 buttons under the screen don't light up? ... well that stinks, that kind of irks me a little, I like for
* the keys to light up ... what happens if you're in the dark, wouldn't it be hard to see them? (just sayin')

* So, do you guys think this phone has the "Wow" factor .... is it that much better than the other androids to go out and
* get it now? .... or should we wait awhile for maybe the price to drop a little? (not that it's that much now)

* Anyway, I am on the fence right now about this phone... I think I might wait awhile and see what more comes about...
* Thanks again everyone for all the help.. ;)

Optimus Turk B-)

Tarkio101

bluecoupe

I would say that the people that have issues with "performance" are either pretty heavy users, or just really picky, especially if they are using a lower end phone in the first place. As someone who is new to a smartphone, I would suggest downloading all of the apps that look good to you and see how it performs. If it's ok, you should be good. But then, after a couple of weeks or so, get rid of any that you are pretty sure you will never actually use. They don't need to be there is you won't use them, for example, when you downloaded 3 of essentially the same app, to see which one you like better.

Also, just be aware of the file size of the apps. Some games are ridiculously huge. Don't let it stop you from trying it out. Just be aware of which apps are huge is you did have any issues with the phone.

runner

bluecoupe
January 19, 2014, 10:26 pm
DoctorM
Thanks for the reply. What I read though was that it kept putting things on the internal and it just kept filling up and people had to keep re-moving things to the micro card. Could be much adu about nothing - don't know. I'm really getting it to use as a phone, texting and maybe look stuff up on the net once in a while so I may just go ahead and order it from HSN - they have a 30 day return policy so if things keep filling up the internals and I can't re-direct to the card I'll send it back and get one of the others.
I know that was the biggest complaint with the LG Optimus Dynamic LG38C (the first model). I read that for some reason there was no way to get the apps to install on the 4 gb memory but would install on the 512 mb (ram) memory so out of the box you only have 150-mb memory free. At least that was my understanding.

The LG Optimus Dynamic LG39C sounds like the best of the bunch from TF.

03bluecoupe
Member Avatar

That sounds extremely similar to what I read someplace runner. The person said that the ram just kept filling up with no way to redirect the apps to the card and they had to keep cleaning up by hand and that it was a pita. Been searching again but can't find it. It would have made too much sense to bookmark it. ;)

PepperPot

tfuser19
January 19, 2014, 8:42 pm
PepperPot,
Thanks for the pictures and writeup. How do you find the performance of the L39C over the Centura aside from the camera? I have a Centura and I'm fighting the urge to buy a L39C ;) with it's 20% larger screen.
Thus far, I will put the L39c slightly ahead of the Centura, but but in all fairness I was happy with my Centura until I had to perform two factory resets. The first one was not a big deal. The second time it was a problem because I lost my pic's, text messages and a specified scenic route from PA to Catskills that took 8 hrs. of driving to find and perfect. Afterwards, I honestly felt I could not trust the phone. Initially, I set the phone to save pic's to the sd card, but it slipped my mind to change the settings after the first factory reset. Aside from that, certain programs locked up and froze every now and then. That was annoying but it didn't turn me off to the Centura.

In comparison no apps have locked up yet, but its still only a few days into ownership.

There was also something else I failed to mention in my comparison of the two -- the L39c boot up takes much longer than the Centura. By the time the Centura boots and the sd card initializes, the LG is still on the Tracfone splash screen. I would guess it takes 20-25 seconds. That's a lot of time.

If you are not experiencing any issues with your Centura, I would wait about a month or two. By that time we will all have a better idea of how the LG performs. However, I would advise you to back up anything that is important because I have been reading through various forums and the permanent freeze that prevents the phone from booting into the OS is an issue.

Slivros

Tech
January 19, 2014, 12:52 am
Slivros, thank you for answering my question about the app background. As silly as it sounds, If I wasn't able to change that, I wouldn't buy the thing. Silly, I know, but that and purple themes that you couldn't change like on the lg840g aggravated me to no end.

One more irregular question, if you don't mind. When you have the phone plugged in and call or text yourself, is the ringtone different than the one you hear when it's not plugged into your computer? And, if so, is that ringtone (that you hear while it's plugged in...if it's different) available to change in the ringtone options list? On the lg840g there was a pre-programmed set of tones that you heard if your phone was plugged in and they were not accessible on the list of tones to change. This was another little quirk that plucked me good.
No difference. Exact same set of ringtones whether it's connected to something or not.

Turk
January 20, 2014, 1:47 am
* I just want to say thanks very much to Slivros and PepperPot and jammnjeff for all the information on this phone!
* Slivros and PepperPot ... thanks for all the pictures and answers to all our questions - your reviews were AWESOME!

* The phone seems nice... glad you can change the white background color in the menu to a different color, I didn't care

* Also, you guys say the 4 buttons under the screen don't light up? ... well that stinks, that kind of irks me a little, I like for
* the keys to light up ... what happens if you're in the dark, wouldn't it be hard to see them? (just sayin')

* So, do you guys think this phone has the "Wow" factor .... is it that much better than the other androids to go out and
* get it now? .... or should we wait awhile for maybe the price to drop a little? (not that it's that much now)

* Anyway, I am on the fence right now about this phone... I think I might wait awhile and see what more comes about...

Optimus Turk B-)
You're welcome Turk. Glad I could provide something useful.

I'll admit I'm a little disappointed in those buttons not lighting up either, but if your sense of awareness is keen, you really don't need to see the buttons to know where they are or how to use them. Similar to not needing to look at the TV remote to know how to change or tune to a channel. You just get used to it over time.

As for the "wow" factor, what is there to get excited over? Sure, it's a nice phone, in some regard, and perhaps it's the best Tracfone has to offer at the present. But it certainly doesn't trump anything that can be brought over on the BYOP program, you and I both know that.

Then again, I'm usually not the type for early adoptions, but I caved to the temptation and bought it on impulse. Luckily, I am satisfied with my purchase, so my rash decision making paid off. Although I might not have much use for the phone right now, I am making the leap from feature to smartphone now in preparation for any future opportunities that might require such a device. I am, after all, educated in the field that would.

On the other hand, if any of our reviews hasn't convinced you to get the phone as of yet, then I don't see the need to push any further. I don't blame you, it's probably best to wait to see what's around the corner, especially if you don't have a need for a such a phone at the moment. Maybe once it finally reaches one of the brick and mortar stores, it will be the opportune time to try it out and see if it's for you.

ciliegia

PepperPot

There was also something else I failed to mention in my comparison of the two -- the L39c boot up takes much longer than the Centura. By the time the Centura boots and the sd card initializes, the LG is still on the Tracfone splash screen. I would guess it takes 20-25 seconds. That's a lot of time.
PepperPot...I have now had 2 lg phones: lg 800 and the 840. Have to say that both took and take a considerable amount of time to boot up. None of my other phones took as long and, frankly, although a little annoying, it doesn't really bother me. My husband's Samsung (simple clam phone) boots up quite quickly as did my previous Motorolas...but, hey, so what?

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Slivros ... thanks for the responses...

* What I meant by the "wow" factor was, when you turned it on and played around with it, did it make you say "wow, this phone is nice!" (lol)

* For example: when the LG 840g came out, everyone was like "wow, this phone is really nice! or really awesome!" , etc.

* Maybe PepperPot who also has this phone and the Samsung Centura, can respond to my "wow factor" question as well?

* Anyway, what I think I'm gonna do is wait for it to hits the stores, then I can buy it and try it out, then decide if I like it or not.

* Thanks again everyone for all your information ... and if anyone else gets this phone, feel free to voice your opinion. ;)

B-) Turk is, the Wow Factor

03bluecoupe
Member Avatar

I'm sitting squarely on top of the fence as well. While I really would like to jump, I'm cautious due to my phantom reading of the possible issues with managing the use of RAM so I want to know more about that first. I REALLY appreciate the folks who are posting all of the great info!

You can bet if/when I do jump I'll report here and through the eyes of a "newbies' " eyes as opposed to having some preconceived notion of what it "should" be. Gee... some phone company should use me as a tester. ;)

hpham
Member Avatar

bluecoupe
January 21, 2014, 9:21 am
I'm cautious due to my phantom reading of the possible issues with managing the use of RAM so I want to know more about that first.
You're worrying about the wrong thing. RAM is volatile memory, anything in there is gone when power is off. It's used for RUNNING apps, not STORING anything long-term. You can store the apps/data in the phone's internal memory or the SD card. Stuff stored on the SD card MIGHT take a bit longer to load because the card speed is usually slower than the internal memory. It's similar to loading a program/data from a computer's hard drive (faster) vs loading it from a CD (slower). But once apps/data are loaded into RAM, they run at the same speed.

I can understand if you're worrying that the phone doesn't have much RAM to run a very big app or many apps at the same time. But worrying about not having enough RAM because apps being STORED in RAM instead of the internal memory or SD card is not correct.

I worked with mainframe computers and PC for 35 years before retiring recently. A smartphone is basically a handheld computer that can also make calls and send messages. Their operating concept is the same. I provided the above information to hopefully clear up the mis-information/misunderstanding of the article you read. You can use the information or not.

03bluecoupe
Member Avatar

hpham
January 21, 2014, 11:19 am
Whether or not you believe what I wrote is not important to me.

Dang, I wish I could find that *#&(* post I saw somewhere describing the issue as I'm obviously not describing it with the correct techno-terms. I apologize for that and am slightly confused what I did to deserve the parting shot about believing you or not. That one really made me go "huh?!?" I don't believe I said anything derogatory toward you and if you took something that way, I apologize as there was certainly no intent but that's one h*77 of a closing remark to someone who has never interacted with you previously.

hpham
Member Avatar

I guess it came off not the way I intended. I meant "here's the information. you can use it or not".

03bluecoupe
Member Avatar

hpham
January 21, 2014, 11:48 am
I guess it came off not the way I intended. I meant "here's the information. you can use it or not".
Fair enough. Thanks for clearing it up. My reply was probably pretty terse and I apologize to that. I just was taken back by that sentence.

As for information, I use all I can get. You can never be overly-informed.

PepperPot

ciliegia

PepperPot...I have now had 2 lg phones: lg 800 and the 840. Have to say that both took and take a considerable amount of time to boot up. None of my other phones took as long and, frankly, although a little annoying, it doesn't really bother me. My husband's Samsung (simple clam phone) boots up quite quickly as did my previous Motorolas...but, hey, so what?
You're rite. The 840g also takes time to boot up and I certainly would not discourage anyone from purchasing the L39c because of this. It's a minor annoyance and I rarely turn my phone off.

Turk

Optimus Turk B-)
I'm happy to contribute Turk. This forum was more than helpful to me long before I signed up. As to the "wow" factor? I think it would be a good idea to wait to see what tracfone has coming or to wait for a price drop. Let me put is this way, I don't miss anything on my 840g except for the real time minutes display. I'm growing comfortable with this phone but there are minor things I could miss on the Centura. The only reason I purchased it this early is because I needed something reliable. My Centura basically became an Mp3 player. The LG has been holding up pretty well, but aside from the factory resets and random lock-ups, the performance of both phones have been equal.

tfuser19

PepperPot,
Thanks for answering my other questions.
Do you find the difference in display size between the Centura and L39C to be significant or not so noticeable ?

wxman

bluecoupe
January 21, 2014, 12:20 pm
hpham
January 21, 2014, 11:48 am
Fair enough. Thanks for clearing it up. My reply was probably pretty terse and I apologize to that. I just was taken back by that sentence.

As for information, I use all I can get. You can never be overly-informed.
bluecoupe:

I believe that the memory problem you are referring to is for the L38C…not the L39C. I say that because I’ve tried to find reviews for the L39C since it was first announced late last fall and this is the first source of real reviews or comments that I’ve found….and I thank forum contributors for them. Your source may have referred to the L39C, but I believe they did it in error and really meant the L38C...after all, the L39C was only released this month..That’s not to say that the L39C may not have the same problem…and like you, its why I’m awaiting further reports before purchasing one. You can do a search for the L38C and you’ll find no shortage of memory complaints.

However, as hpham pointed out…the L38C memory issue is not with RAM. Its with system memory...and if the L39C has a memory issue as well...that's likely what it will be with. You actually have two types of storage memory on a phone…system memory (sometimes called phone) and internal (sometimes called SD). Add a microsd card and you have three. System memory contains the operating system and in most cases apps as well. Internal memory can be thought of as an internal SD for pictures, music, etc. Add the two together and you have total phone memory. If the system memory has a fixed partition and is small…then it can fill up quickly as you add apps and there’s little you can do to fix the issue unless you're able to move apps to internal memory or an external SD card (not true with many apps). That’s apparently the case with the L38C…a small system memory which fills up with just a few apps which must then be deleted along with the cache in order to keep things stable or allow new apps to be installed.

Did LG fix the L38C problem in the L39C? I don’t know…its too early to tell and we don’t know how big the system memory is or if its allocated to expand into internal memory if necessary. Its an essential specification that is never given. As more people purchase this phone and review it, we will know indirectly. If people complain that it won’t handle more than a few apps or don’t list it as a complaint, we will have our answer.

Personally, I would like to see Tracfone release a phone with 8GB total memory…not just the 4GB that the L39C apparently has. However, suspect that’s some distance in the future if ever. I use CoPilot as a GPS on my Galaxy 5 media player and would like to load it on the phone as well. It’s a great piece of software that requires no data connection for use (perfect for a Tracfone with limited data)…except that the maps are stored in phone memory and can’t be moved to a microsd card. The U.S. map is over 1GB. I’m guessing the L39C will not be able to handle it.

Hope this helps.

03bluecoupe
Member Avatar

Thanks wxman, you're probably correct as I too have been looking for LG39C reviews all over.
I probably had fat fingers once and entered an "8" instead of a "9" while typing the search parameters.

hpham
Member Avatar

wxman
January 21, 2014, 3:37 pm
I use CoPilot as a GPS on my Galaxy 5 media player and would like to load it on the phone as well. It’s a great piece of software that requires no data connection for use (perfect for a Tracfone with limited data)…except that the maps are stored in phone memory and can’t be moved to a microsd card. The U.S. map is over 1GB. I’m guessing the L39C will not be able to handle it.
I don't know about the L39C, but I have CoPilot and its 1.3GB North America map downloaded and stored on the microSD card of my ZTE Valet. Works just like it does on my Galaxy Tablet.

wxman

hpham
January 21, 2014, 5:18 pm
wxman
January 21, 2014, 3:37 pm
I use CoPilot as a GPS on my Galaxy 5 media player and would like to load it on the phone as well. It’s a great piece of software that requires no data connection for use (perfect for a Tracfone with limited data)…except that the maps are stored in phone memory and can’t be moved to a microsd card. The U.S. map is over 1GB. I’m guessing the L39C will not be able to handle it.
I don't know about the L39C, but I have CoPilot and its 1.3GB North America map downloaded and stored on the microSD card of my ZTE Valet. Works just like it does on my Galaxy Tablet.
Thanks hpham...greatly appreciate that information. If it stores on the microsd on the Valet, I think its pretty much assured it should on the L39C as well. That means the L39C should be able to handle CoPilot...assuming the memory issues of the L38C have been addressed.

Its perhaps a bit off topic, but I checked on the CoPilot forum to get an answer and it wasn't clear. CoPilot uses 4GB of memory as the break point for storage...less and it will store maps to an external card. 4GB or more and it goes onto the phone...no choice and its one of the biggest complaints about the software. I assumed they were referring to total memory which would mean it would only store to the phone for tracfone android phones due to their 4GB of memory. Put those maps together with the operating system and you'd have little left for other applications. It would appear 4GB of available internal memory is the break point...not total memory. That's good news for users of Tracfone Android phones.

Sprocketman

Can anyone with a 39c tell us what document formats it can display?
Lack of a .pdf viewer on my L840g is a problem for me. Maybe with Android you just download an app?

Thanks.

hpham
Member Avatar

Sprocketman
January 21, 2014, 10:23 pm
Lack of a .pdf viewer on my L840g is a problem for me. Maybe with Android you just download an app?
Yep, there's a free Adober Reader app on Google Play.

03bluecoupe
Member Avatar

I couldn't stand it any more. Just ordered the SOB from HSN. Should be fine for a smart phone newbie... we'll see.

gustafus

The LG 39c specs appear to be identical to the ZTE Valet. However, the ZTE Valet has a camera flash and a power/missed call indicator light that are missing from the LG 39c. My ZTE Valet camera flash has been valuable to me for both taking pictures in low light conditions and also as a flashlight that I can switch on with a free flashlight app. The ZTE's power/missed call indicator light lets me know the charge status and when I've missed a call without me needing to switch on the phone screen. I think that the ZTE Valet is the best Tracfone Android released to date.

PepperPot

bluecoupe

I couldn't stand it any more. Just ordered the SOB from HSN. Should be fine for a smart phone newbie... we'll see.
You'll be fine. You have a 30 day return policy and a duration of 60 days before you have to activate it. That gives you 30 days to use the phone (as a mini tablet so to speak) extensively before you activate it. During that time you could sign up to the google play store and download apps at will to see how it handles. If you are transitioning from a "dumb phone" this could go two ways in my opinion. You can become overwhelmed with the various apps available and download more apps than you need including multiple apps that perform the same function (which happens to be my fixation) or you can download what you need.

The majority of the apps you download that require excess space (navigation, games) can be transferred to the sd card. Of the 35 apps I have installed, 11 can be moved to the SD card. That does not sound like much but 15 of those apps were preinitialised (google apps, youtube etc.).

tfuser19

Do you find the difference in display size between the Centura and L39C to be significant or not so noticeable ?
It's noticeable but not significant. When I hold the phone sideways (landscape) the overall feel in my hands is noticeable.

Below

bluecoupe

You shouldn't root Tracfone yet. It's actually against the ToS/warranty/something too, and with the offshore help, if you screw something up, there will be no help. Also, they've been out for such a short time, you won't have any tutorials floating around on the internet - you'd have to figure it out yourself.

03bluecoupe
Member Avatar

Below
January 22, 2014, 10:32 pm
bluecoupe

You shouldn't root Tracfone yet. It's actually against the ToS/warranty/something too, and with the offshore help, if you screw something up, there will be no help. Also, they've been out for such a short time, you won't have any tutorials floating around on the internet - you'd have to figure it out yourself.
I probably won't/wouldn't. I really don't aspire to be a power user of a phone, I just want to make phone calls, send texts and search the net once in a while. I'm not a gamer and my phone isn't and won't be tied to my hands like with so many. I just recently had an occasion that showed me where texting would have been handy so that's what started the whole thing.

hpham
Member Avatar

bluecoupe
January 22, 2014, 11:53 pm
I just recently had an occasion that showed me where texting would have been handy so that's what started the whole thing.
The only time when I found texting is better than calling was when I was flying my plane and needed to get an urgent message to my wife. It would be too noisy to carry on a phone conversation in the cockpit of a small plane, plus I would have to take my headset off and wouldn't be able to communicate with air traffic control. The text message saved the day. Good thing they don't have "No texting while piloting" laws yet. ;)

casinorose45

Thanks for all the info on the phone... sounds like its going to be a good one.

I just won this phone online..so excited.. I did get hold of the dealer to ask if you can remove the 4gb sd card to
put in bigger one..they said yes..can't wait to get it..

I am excited to get mine as I just won it online from shopcelldeals... found out yesterday..

03bluecoupe
Member Avatar

You WON it? Crud, I didn't realize they even had contests. :(

mroll

bluecoupe
January 23, 2014, 1:13 pm
Yeah, they gave away two of them via Facebook. Apparently, I wasn't the other winner. :(
Oh well, the one I bought from HSN is coming tomorrow.

03bluecoupe
Member Avatar

Mine's still in "Packaging".... how freekin' long does it take to toss a box inside another box and slap a label on it? ;)

mroll

bluecoupe
January 23, 2014, 1:33 pm
Mine's still in "Packaging".... how freekin' long does it take to toss a box inside another box and slap a label on it? ;)
Mine took 3 days, but it was also over the weekend.

annepani

mroll
January 23, 2014, 1:26 pm
bluecoupe
Yeah, they gave away two of them via Facebook. Apparently, I wasn't the other winner. :(
Oh well, the one I bought from HSN is coming tomorrow.
Who is 'they'?

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
shopcelldeals had a Facebook giveaway.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

annepani

The Sweeper
January 23, 2014, 2:35 pm
shopcelldeals had a Facebook giveaway.
Oh okay. Thanks for the info.

Do they have anymore giveaways coming up?

casinorose45

bluecoupe
yea..I won the lg opt.dynamic II on facebk..with shopcelldeals.I didn't know they were on fb until i found them and saw the contest going so i shared the into to my page..im excited..it should be here today or monday..can't wait..I was in shock when i got the message from them..im retired,and was saving to buy it..shopcelldeals to me, are the best..they are reliable,caring,and always there to help you or answer questions..been buying from them for a few yrs.now..I don't know how often they have contests..but they do have discounts a lot, etc..ck. them out on FB.. :)

mroll

Got my L39C from HSN yesterday. Haven't had too much time to play with it yet, but so far it's a keeper. It's my first Android cell phone, but I do have an Android tablet and I've had an iPhone in the past for comparison. Compared to my 840G, it's a lot faster in every respect. WiFi is the best I've had on a device, better than my tablet. Reception seems to be one bar less than my 840G, so we'll see how it goes when I activate it.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* PepperPot .... thanks for the response to my questions that you posted up above on Post #247...

* casinorose45 .... congrats on winning this phone (for free) from shopcelldeals on Facebook.. ;)

* If anyone else gets this phone, feel free to post your thoughts and/or opinions of it here ... thanks.

* And those who have the phone for awhile, feel free to post updates of the phone and how it's working out for you - thanks.

Turk B-)

phoenix1
Member Avatar

Someone else has also posted an in depth review on Amazon. It's rather long, so I'll just post a link if you'd like to check it out.

Amazon review

mroll

phoenix1
January 27, 2014, 1:02 am
Someone else has also posted an in depth review on Amazon. It's rather long, so I'll just post a link if you'd like to check it out.

Amazon review
That's a good review. Using the phone for a few days now and I'd have to agree with just about everything he said, particularly the signal strength. Mine displays fewer bars than my 840G, but call quality is clear at any bar amount and nothing's dropped. My Tracfone app didn't work either. It just showed the total I had when I activated the phone and never changed, even when you tried to update it, so I removed it. I got it from Google Play, but maybe there's a different one he's using.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Hi guys ... try to keep all things related to the LG Optimus Dynamic 2 here, in this phone topic - thanks.
bluecoupe

Case that fits the LG39C found...
This case is $4.99 on Ebay. While it doesn't say it fits the LG39C, it does. Everything lines up perfectly. There is one additional small hole to the right of the micro-usb port that's for nothing but that's the only thing that's not perfect for the 39c. Now, that said, it makes using the on/off and volume buttons difficult. You have to REALLY apply pressure to activate them. That may be a good thing though. I don't think I like that and may cut openings in the case to get to the actual buttons. Not sure yet. Actually I'm kind of wondering why I need the case in the first place. I have a two year, unconditional replacement contract for the phone....

Anyhow, here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151159382922?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
tfuser19

bluecoupe,
You missed where I said that small hole is for the microphone. Make a call with and without the case on and ask the other person if they hear a difference. If you did not cut a hole for microphone, they will barely hear you.
bluecoupe

cr8p, you already found it? razzlefritz... and here I thought I had something to actually contribute. ... ;)
I'm actually not liking it with the case on it so I may just leave it off. Now that I look closer, I see what you mean about the mic though.

jaxpaboo

Wholy smokes... $159 for the phone + 1 Year/400 min card. Great price a lot soon that I expected.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Optimus-Dynamic-II-Smartphone-with-1200-Minute-Text-Data-Included-Tracfone

Was going to wait, but just might jump on this. Will make sure to add the 1 year card to my current tracfone (with bonus code) and then wait a day and transfer to new phone.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

jaxpaboo
January 28, 2014, 3:12 pm
Wholy smokes... $159 for the phone + 1 Year/400 min card. Great price a lot soon that I expected.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Optimus-Dynamic-II-Smartphone-with-1200-Minute-Text-Data-Included-Tracfone

Was going to wait, but just might jump on this. Will make sure to add the 1 year card to my current tracfone (with bonus code) and then wait a day and transfer to new phone.
Wow, thanks for posting the link, jaxpaboo! You’re right. This is sooner than I expected, too.

Plus, ShopCellDeals gives you $5 off for spending over $100 and free expedited shipping.

Looks like a tempting deal!

ShadowDancer ^_^

jaxpaboo

Thanks for reminding me about the $5 off.. Sold!

Pretty sure this same package will be selling for $129 from this seller in 3-4 months. But I'll pay the extra $25 now.

Should be here on the 1st!

casinorose45

bluecoupe
January 22, 2014, 1:20 pm
:D you will love it..i got mine that i won on fb..and its a nice phone. takes pretty good pictures, sound is great..music plays great..i downloaded a few apps.only one couldn't be moved to sd card,my weather one. the others,facebk. zedge and a android wallpaper app all went on sd card.love the larger screen..its clear and touch is great..hoping soon for faceplates to come out.been on internet all over,and writing some sellers, when can they get them..phone is a little slippery.there are things on here you can do that even i don't know for sure what they mean.bells and whistles all over.the tracfone my acct.app didn't work right so deleted.tech advised to just go to the browser,get tracfone.com,and bookmark,to get my balance on min.so i did.its easy,now when i click on browser,the bookmark is right there,click on it, and in a min.or less,there it is..love this phone..

mroll

casinorose45
January 28, 2014, 3:55 pm
i downloaded a few apps.only one couldn't be moved to sd card,my weather one. the others,facebk. zedge and a android wallpaper app all went on sd card.
What did you use to move the apps? I've tried App Mgr III and it's not seeing the SD card.

BTW, I got the case mentioned above and I don't particularly care for it. I ordered a snap-on hard case that leaves the buttons exposed (http://www.ebay.com/itm/201005836246).

phoenix1
Member Avatar

casinorose45
BTW, I got the case mentioned above and I don't particularly care for it. I ordered a snap-on hard case that leaves the buttons exposed (http://www.ebay.com/itm/201005836246).
You may have a problem with the camera, according to the picture at the link you posted, the camera lens is near the middle. If you look at the picture that was posted by Slivros, it looks like the camera lens is more to the left top.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/single/?p=460226&t=5246224

mroll

phoenix1
January 28, 2014, 6:15 pm
You may have a problem with the camera, according to the picture at the link you posted, the camera lens is near the middle. If you look at the picture that was posted by Slivros, it looks like the camera lens is more to the left top.

The picture of all of the covers is a generic one. If you click on one of the individual colors in the Ebay ad, you'll see the camera opening in the right place. That's consistent with the E440.

03bluecoupe
Member Avatar

mroll
January 28, 2014, 4:07 pm
casinorose45
i downloaded a few apps.only one couldn't be moved to sd card,my weather one. the others,facebk. zedge and a android wallpaper app all went on sd card.
What did you use to move the apps? I've tried App Mgr III and it's not seeing the SD card.

I can't move to the SD card either.

I also agree, I don't like the case either. Given that I don't care for it anyhow, I may try cutting some holes for easier access to the buttons and try it again.

So far I like the phone but nothing more to add than has already been said. And that's not any raving review as I'm a smartfone newbie so I have no comparison base. I did go with a new GV number though and think I'm going to end up liking that. I have to do some reading here but it seems like there is some phone/text time usage even when using the GV interface. Not that much but something's definitely using time while on wi-fi. Gotta track that one down. I'm sure there are answers here already for me to dig up.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

mroll
January 28, 2014, 6:26 pm
phoenix1
January 28, 2014, 6:15 pm

The picture of all of the covers is a generic one. If you click on one of the individual colors in the Ebay ad, you'll see the camera opening in the right place. That's consistent with the E440.
That's good. Sometimes it's hard to buy accessories for the new phones when you have to depend on stuff from another model even though they're basically the same. Hopefully it won't take too long until they come out with 'real' accessories.

hpham
Member Avatar

ciliegia
January 28, 2014, 9:39 pm
2) Is this phone locked?
3) since it runs off Verizon, and Verizon can be used in other countries, what about this phone?
From Tracfone Terms of Service, "Your TRACFONE can only be used with TracFone Service and cannot be activated with any other wireless carrier or service".

You can use a Tracfone to call a phone in some foreign countries, but you cannot use a Tracfone outside of the US, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands. TracFone Terms of Service says "You will not be able to make or receive calls on your TRACFONE when you are located outside of the United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands".

If you have a TF Android, you can bring it overseas and use it as an Android device, use it on Wifi, use the GPS, etc. But you won't be able to do anything that requires cell service.

hpham
Member Avatar

Members bluecoupe and mroll said that they couldn't move apps to the SD card. Is any L39C owner able to move them? I know that some apps can't be moved because the developers don't allow them to, but were you able to move any of them?

Could someone post screenshots showing the usage/allocation of the internal memory and the SD card? Thank you.

wxman

Price just dropped to $99.99 on Amazon with free shipping. Do a search for it and it lists the old price...click on the item and there's the price drop. With the normal up and down pricing on Amazon...who knows how long it will last. However, for those who don't need units or time...its the lowest price around.

There's a new question in the Amazon question/answer section on memory. The responder says internal memory is 1.78 GB. However, its not clear if that's internal free memory or allocated system memory...or how much is taken up by the operating system. What is needed is how much memory is available within the system memory for those apps that can't be moved to internal memory or a micro sd card. The screenshot that hpham requested would help answer that question.

It would also be useful if those who have the 38C would check their memory allocation and list it. It would allow a comparison of system memory between the 38C and 39C. It would appear that it must be significantly more in the 39C since no complaints have been aired about memory issues...meaning that LG listened to those complaints and addressed them in the 39C...as they should have.

jaxpaboo

Price on ebay for phone + 1 year/400 is now $149.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Optimus-Dynamic-II-Smartphone-with-1200-Minute-Te-xt-Data-Included-Tracfone-/

Also, it's $10 off $100 purchase from this seller instead of $5 as listed yesterday. So price is really ($139).

Going to see if they are going to refund me $15 on my purchase from yesterday.... doubt it.

Slivros

hpham
January 29, 2014, 10:51 am
Members bluecoupe and mroll said that they couldn't move apps to the SD card. Is any L39C owner able to move them? I know that some apps can't be moved because the developers don't allow them to, but were you able to move any of them?

Could someone post screenshots showing the usage/allocation of the internal memory and the SD card? Thank you.
Luckily, I had taken a screenshot of the internal memory when I first got my hands on the phone.

Here you are:

Posted Image

I unfortunately do not have one for the SD card. I have seemingly misplaced the one that came with the phone.

As for the apps, I said in the initial questions and answers post that some are movable, most are not. You answered your own question when including the point about it being a developer option. To my knowledge, there is no specific limitation for this phone on what apps can and cannot be moved. But yes, I am able to move apps that have the option to.

mroll

The SD card lists as being 3.63 GB. I have only added 7 apps that add up to 41 MB when I check them, but my Apps total is at 440 MB.

mroll

Slivros
January 29, 2014, 6:13 pm
But yes, I am able to move apps that have the option to.
How are you doing it?

wxman

Slivros
hpham
January 29, 2014, 10:51 am

Luckily, I had taken a screenshot of the internal memory when I first got my hands on the phone.

Here you are:

Posted Image

I unfortunately do not have one for the SD card. I have seemingly misplaced the one that came with the phone.

As for the apps, I said in the initial questions and answers post that some are movable, most are not. You answered your own question when including the point about it being a developer option. To my knowledge, there is no specific limitation for this phone on what apps can and cannot be moved. But yes, I am able to move apps that have the option to.

Slivros,

That is indeed the internal memory of the 39C as lists picture and music storage...its assigned total memory is 1.78 GB and thats where your pictures and music will go. Since it does list apps certainly at least some, if not all, are stored there (apparently unlike the 38C). However, it may not be true for all apps...especially those that the developer has not allowed to be moved. Since the 39C has 4 GB total memory, that would imply that just a bit over 2GB has been taken up by formatting and the assigned system memory. However, the question remains: What is the available system memory? If all apps go to internal memory its not an issue, however if not, we'd like a respectable chunk of available system memory for any apps that might be installed there. Per my previous post, I'm guessing it not to be an issue for most given the lack of complaints...but the curiosity remains.

I'm not familiar with Android 4.1...the device I have is running 2.3.5. However, it does break down the memory into the microsd, the internal memory (it calls it USB) and available system memory. As an example, my device has 8GB total memory...5GB assigned to internal, and 1.43GB available system memory. So...over 1.5GB is eaten up by formatting and the system memory...and indeed, some apps are being stored there and are unable to be moved. However, most can be moved. More recent versions of Android require developer permission to move...not an issue with 2.3.

When you check the storage, do you find a listing for either used system memory...or available system memory? If so, what is it? If you do have it listed, keep an eye on it as you add apps. You'll be able to tell where they're being stored.

Thanks,

cobra

I understand one cannot transfer minutes from this phone to a non-Android TF, but can minutes/texts/data be transferred from one L39C to another (I'm considering returning the one I just received and activated yesterday from HSN in favor of the better deal now available at shopcelldeals).

hpham
Member Avatar

cobra
January 30, 2014, 11:03 pm
I understand one cannot transfer minutes from this phone to a non-Android TF, but can minutes/texts/data be transferred from one L39C to another.
Yes. Last week, I accidentally dropped my Valet into water and had to get another one. I called customer service and got everything transferred from the old one to the new one.

ebildude123

Hey guys, tried to get this phone to look as kitkat as much as possible. GravityBox doesn't work well on this device.

Posted Image

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Attention: I removed some of the posts up above off this phone topic, the ones where some of you were talking
* about Google Voice for android phones, and I moved them to a New Topic located in the Topics Forum on here
* titled: "Using Google Voice on your Android phone?" --> Link: http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/topic/5366870/1/

* So please start using that new topic about Google Voice to discuss any questions you may have about Google
* Voice -- or post information about Google Voice -- for your android phone. ...... thanks everyone.. ;)
--------------------------------------------------------

* Thanks to everyone so far that has posted information / thoughts / and pictures about this phone, it is appreciated.

* That special shopcelldeals has on eBay for the LG Dynamic 2 + 1 Year card for only $140 is a great deal, I feel.
* And I am probably now gonna end up getting that phone special soon, because it is now.. "right up my alley". (lol)

* Here is my reasoning.... I usually buy a 1 year card every year when my phone service is coming to an end.
* My service is coming to an end in a few months, so I would end up buying a 1 year card soon anyway.
* So when I would buy the card in a store, I pay $100 for the card + $6 for PA tax + $1 for state 911 charges = $107.

* So $107 minus $140 phone deal = only $33 ... so I would actually be getting the Dynamic 2 phone for only $33!
* So for only $33, I could put up with any little problems or dislikes about the phone (if there is any) cause it was only $33!
* And if a better android comes out down the road for Tracfone, I could easily sell this phone and get my money $33 back.

* Ps: please no one tell me I can get a 1 year card cheaper online at different sites, I know that, I prefer buying my
* cards from my local supermarket because I get gas points towards buying gas... and I prefer paying cash.

Turk = Cash B-)

jaxpaboo

Turk...

I usually do the same thing. Just pick a year card every year.

Track this same seller on eBay. They are offering the 1 year card / 400 minutes for $84.99. I think these come and go for this seller. Not always at this price. These guys always have the lowest prices, been buying from them for a couple years now.

Sometimes I see this seller with older Tracfones + 1 year cards for $89.99 and I think once I saw a deal for $79.99 as well.
BTW... this seller did refund me $10 since price dropped right after I bought. They couldn't (wouldn't) give me the $10 off coupon instead of the $5 off coupon b/c it was an eBay issued coupon. Love this seller!

Just got the LG39c in the mail yesterday and I'm loving it! Comes with Youtube, Chrome, Maps, Navigation, already installed. Full screen youtube videos and the Maps/Navigation is heads and tails better than the kludgy Google Maps I installed on the LG840. Also installed Spotify, Facebook, WatchESPN, Starbucks.

After more than a decade of being embarrassed to show my friends my phone, I finally have a REAL phone.

BTW... was only using WIFI yesterday. I went ahead and put the 1 year / 400 min card on my old phone so I could utilize the bonus code. Got 1450 minutes on old phone. Waiting until this morning and did the online transfer Tracfone -> Tracfone. Transfer service and minutes no problem (according to online screen). Still waiting for my new phone to work though. No calling/text yet.

***** EDIT ***** Waited a few hours, still no call/text activated. Called the 'Executive?' number (800 876 5753) and got someone in Miami. They were quick to fix. Had me call a *#+digits number. Wish I would of remember numbers, phone doesn't have in my call log.

cobra

I'm moving from the L840 (which I really liked) to the L39. I've always resented the pre-loaded bloatware on computers I've purchased. Now that I'm dipping my toes into app-world I'm leaning towards disabling all Google-related items on the L39 for much the same reason...I want to be the one to choose what's loaded. There are about a dozen Google-related processes that can be disabled and the associated data deleted, but they can't be uninstalled. Can anyone weigh in on the pros and cons of doing this for this smartphone newbie?

Secondly, I don't see a way to move my contacts from the L840 to the L39. Am I missing something?

Slivros

mroll
January 29, 2014, 7:42 pm
Slivros
How are you doing it?
System Settings > Apps > Touch the app you want to move > Touch the 'Move to SD card' option

Here's a visual example with the LinkedIN app:

wxman
January 29, 2014, 8:15 pm
Slivros,

That is indeed the internal memory of the 39C as lists picture and music storage...its assigned total memory is 1.78 GB and thats where your pictures and music will go. Since it does list apps certainly at least some, if not all, are stored there (apparently unlike the 38C). However, it may not be true for all apps...especially those that the developer has not allowed to be moved. Since the 39C has 4 GB total memory, that would imply that just a bit over 2GB has been taken up by formatting and the assigned system memory. However, the question remains: What is the available system memory? If all apps go to internal memory its not an issue, however if not, we'd like a respectable chunk of available system memory for any apps that might be installed there. Per my previous post, I'm guessing it not to be an issue for most given the lack of complaints...but the curiosity remains.

I'm not familiar with Android 4.1...the device I have is running 2.3.5. However, it does break down the memory into the microsd, the internal memory (it calls it USB) and available system memory. As an example, my device has 8GB total memory...5GB assigned to internal, and 1.43GB available system memory. So...over 1.5GB is eaten up by formatting and the system memory...and indeed, some apps are being stored there and are unable to be moved. However, most can be moved. More recent versions of Android require developer permission to move...not an issue with 2.3.

When you check the storage, do you find a listing for either used system memory...or available system memory? If so, what is it? If you do have it listed, keep an eye on it as you add apps. You'll be able to tell where they're being stored.

Thanks,
The available system memory is 1.66 GB, as shown in the screenshot I provided. Not certain if that is what you were referring to, but there is no other listing for what's been reserved for the phone. What you see is what you get.

annepani

cobra
January 31, 2014, 12:33 pm
I'm moving from the L840 (which I really liked) to the L39 ... Secondly, I don't see a way to move my contacts from the L840 to the L39. Am I missing something?
You can't do it by Bluetooth?

mroll

Slivros
January 31, 2014, 1:10 pm
mroll
January 29, 2014, 7:42 pm
Slivros
How are you doing it?
System Settings > Apps > Touch the app you want to move > Touch the 'Move to SD card' option.
Thanks Slivros. I'm a newbie when it comes to Android phones. ;)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.