Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up here -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have total access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Tracfone) ZTE Valet (Z665C) Phone Topic
Topic Started: September 26, 2013, 5:18 pm (71,735 Views)
Ccmanz

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts, or questions on this phone, please post it all here ... thanks.

* Attention Turkamaniacs: Tracfone Promotion Codes do not work with the new Tracfone Android Phones.

* Tracfone ZTE Valet Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?custId=TFZEZ665C

* Located in the Topics Forum: Tracfone/Net10 - Apps for Androids - we discuss different apps for android devices.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bummpr
January 16, 2014, 10:12 pm
I called the infamous customer After doing a series of restart the phone, pull the battery and other nonsense steps, I was instructed to wait an hour.
I had the same issue. I was on the phone for hours talking to different people. I don't think they are good at trouble shooting these new phones. I don't want to do a reset again.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tfuser19

Ccmanz,
How was the issue with your phone resolved by Tracfone after the reset broke it?

hpham
Member Avatar

Bummpr,

Could you go to Settings-->About phone-->Status, and tell me what your phone is showing for Service state and My Phone number? Mine shows "In service" and "785-xxx-xxxx".

bummpr
Member Avatar

tfuser19
January 16, 2014, 11:22 pm
bummpr,
Surprised to read that you cannot make calls or send texts after factory data reset. Confirm phone is not in airplane mode and dial *22890 again.

What led to doing the reset?
Have done *22890 multiple times...no, no airplane mode and having data on or off makes no difference.

Placing a call gets me a message "verizon network error".

When I call the ZTE Valet from another phone, the phone flashes up the Answer Screen very briefly (not long enough to answer the phone) and then quickly brings up a Notification that I had a missed call. This tells me the phone is recognized as a valid # that is tied to my MEID and ESN.

The primary purpose of the reset was to get back APN settings that I wiped out by inadvertently deleting the native messaging app trying to find a decent MMS app.

bummpr
Member Avatar

hpham
January 17, 2014, 12:16 am
Bummpr,

Could you go to Settings-->About phone-->Status, and tell me what your phone is showing for Service state and My Phone number? Mine shows "In service" and "785-xxx-xxxx".
My Status shows "In service" with my correct number.

Also:

Network = Unknown

Mobile network state = Disconnected

MIN = my phone #

PRL Version = 59365

tfuser19

Bummpr,
After the APN settings got wiped out, but before you did the reset - did calls work? I assume messaging was broken due to APN settings being deleted.
Wondering if APN corruption broke calling function. I have zero experience with APN settings as Tracfones don't allow modification and I don't have a way to look at the APN settings.

hpham
Member Avatar

bummpr
January 17, 2014, 1:10 am
My Status shows "In service" with my correct number.

Also:

Network = Unknown

Mobile network state = Disconnected

MIN = my phone #

PRL Version = 59365
My phone has the same info except MIN shows 2162632056 and PRL Version is 59353. I don't know what MIN is. It looks like a phone number but is not the phone number I got assigned at activation nor my current phone number which was transferred from my LG840. I bought the phone brand new, so it can't be from a previous owner.

Below

I didn't think you could remove the default messaging app, only disable it.

tfuser19

hpham,
My phone # (MDN) and MIN are also different - 1st 3-digits are same though.
See http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=268 then click on MIN link at bottom of that page.

bummpr
Member Avatar

tfuser19
January 17, 2014, 4:12 am
Bummpr,
After the APN settings got wiped out, but before you did the reset - did calls work? I assume messaging was broken due to APN settings being deleted.
Wondering if APN corruption broke calling function. I have zero experience with APN settings as Tracfones don't allow modification and I don't have a way to look at the APN settings.
Yes, I could do everything (make/receive calls and SMS) after APN got clobbered...just could not send MMS. APN corruption just affected MMS.

I had some MMS settings available with 8sms app but not all of the settings. I tried several variations that I found Google search but could not find a way to do all of the settings that were required...hence the reset.

bummpr
Member Avatar

Below
January 17, 2014, 10:58 am
I didn't think you could remove the default messaging app, only disable it.
I thought the same thing. :X

But I think when I installed 8sms (which is a pretty good app), it is a variant of the native Android messaging app and allows replacement of the native code. I liked the app so much and was so concerned about the limited RAM on this phone, I lost my head and uninstalled the native messaging app. Whether I really uninstalled or disabled it, the process wiped out my APN settings which in turn disabled my ability to send/receive MMS messages.

bummpr
Member Avatar

After spending more than 1 1/2 hours on the phone with Corp tech support, my phone is now able to "be a phone"!!!!

The tech was very good and didn't make either of us feel like we were talking to a 3rd grader. Had to go through another total reset of the phone and he went off-line (talk to Verizon???) to flip the magic switches someplace but the end result was a functional phone.

I have to say that if all TracFone Customer Service and Technical Reps were of this caliber, Slim would be even richer.

Thanks to all of you who were trying to help!!!! ;)

mroll

Radio Shack has the Valet for $50 right now.

Here's a link: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=28750866

Ccmanz

tfuser19
January 17, 2014, 12:00 am
Ccmanz,
How was the issue with your phone resolved by Tracfone after the reset broke it?
I was on the phone with tracphone. They had me go through steps after multiple tries they would switch me to someone else. And I would go through the same steps again. Then try and make a call. It was Christmas Eve around noon and we were to leave. But I wanted my phone working. I know I was on the phone over 90 mins.

The reason I did the reset was my play store would not open it would crash every time and it had some updates. I tried and tried different things for a few days to get it to work. I finally did a factory reset.

I think I will buy a new phone before I try that again. :)

tfuser19

Ccmanz,
Thanks for following up. Next time try clearing cache then data for an app if it's not working correctly. It worked for my recent Google Play Store issues.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I moved this ZTE question here to this official topic, where it belongs, maybe someone knows the answer? - thanks.
springazure
January 15 2014
ZTE Valet and MacBook file transfer?
I am trying to transfer music from my computer to my phone... I downloaded the Android file transfer app to
my MacBook, but I can't figure out how to make it work. When I connect the phone to the computer with the
provided data cable, the ZTE doesn't appear in my finder... Thanks for any help.

rlcope

Turk
January 17, 2014, 11:18 pm
* I moved this ZTE question here to this official topic, where it belongs, maybe someone knows the answer? - thanks.
springazure
January 15 2014
I am trying to transfer music from my computer to my phone... I downloaded the Android file transfer app to
my MacBook, but I can't figure out how to make it work. When I connect the phone to the computer with the
provided data cable, the ZTE doesn't appear in my finder... Thanks for any help.
Click on the settings button at the bottom right on the phone. Select system settings, then scroll down until you
see "connect to PC. Click on it and then click "Media device". This will allow your cable to be a data cable rather
than just a charge cable and it will appear on your PC. You probably have "charge only" selected as of now.

hpham
Member Avatar

rlcope
January 19, 2014, 9:09 am
Click on the settings button at the bottom right on the phone. Select system settings, then scroll down until you see "connect to PC. Click on it and then click "Media device". This will allow your cable to be a data cable rather than just a charge cable and it will appear on your PC. You probably have "charge only" selected as of now.
The person who asked (SpringAzure) has a Macbook, not a PC. The ZTE USB driver that came with the phone doesn't work on a Macbook.

runner

Turk
January 17, 2014, 11:18 pm
springazure
January 15 2014
Just a though: Can't you just transfer your music from your computer to the sd card?

My sister's macbook has an SD card slot. Can't you just take the sd card out of the phone and put it in your macbook and drop and drage the files you want on the phone? If you don't have an sd slot then you can probably buy an usb adaptor cheap, in the 5-dollar range.

bummpr
Member Avatar

springazure
January 15 2014
You might want to try Airdroid...

Airdroid on Play Store

Ardy

bummpr
January 17, 2014, 1:00 am
tfuser19
January 16, 2014, 11:22 pm
bummpr,
Surprised to read that you cannot make calls or send texts after factory data reset. Confirm phone is not in airplane mode and dial *22890 again.

What led to doing the reset?
Have done *22890 multiple times...no, no airplane mode and having data on or off makes no difference.

Placing a call gets me a message "verizon network error".

When I call the ZTE Valet from another phone, the phone flashes up the Answer Screen very briefly (not long enough to answer the phone) and then quickly brings up a Notification that I had a missed call. This tells me the phone is recognized as a valid # that is tied to my MEID and ESN.

The primary purpose of the reset was to get back APN settings that I wiped out by inadvertently deleting the native messaging app trying to find a decent MMS app.
Mine's doing the exact same thing. After 2 hours with Tracfone they told me to send it back.

tfuser19

Ardy,
Did the problem start after a factory data reset? If so, what was the issueleading to the reset?

Ardy

It was working fine replied to a few texts. Next morning couldn't call out. Can Still receive. A week earlier I did load SpeechSynthesis Data Installer app. Apn settings are gone. When calling I get a weird Verizon message that Tracfone said they never heard. "We cannot connect to Verizon network, please call 611 appointment switch 33 star ect.ect. Not exactly that but close.
I did do a factory reset a week earlier when the phone was severely slowing down do to too many apps using too much memory. I wanted to start from scratch again. It worked fine for a week before it died.

tfuser19

Ardy,
For next time, uninstalling apps might be something to try to reconcile the issue of too much memory consumption as factory reset seems to cause issues.

bummpr
Member Avatar

tfuser19
January 19, 2014, 8:33 pm
Ardy,
For next time, uninstalling apps might be something to try to reconcile the issue of too much memory consumption as factory reset seems to cause issues.
I think you are right...factory reset seems to be asking for trouble! And recovery is certainly beyond the skills of TracFone off-shore resources.

I am lucky I had the time (and patience) to spend with an excellent Tech Support person here in the US, but even so, it was 1 1/2 hour ordeal to get my phone functioning. I'm certainly questioning my continued use of a cheap Android phone. I'm glad I had the opportunity to spend just $100 to find out what Android was all about but it has whetted my appetite and I now long for the opportunity to use a larger iPhone and LTE data connection.

shortcake_870

1. My ZTE Valet has just recently started having a problem with call clarity. There's like some static or white noise when I take or make a call. has anyone else had this problem? is this a defect in the phone? I've had this phone for a little over a month now & it's been working good.. I would hate to have to return it because I have so much stuff saved & installed on it. I would hate to have to reinstall everything. Is there a backup for it like thru google or something. I really like this phone & mad that this is happening after 1 month of good behavior.

2. Why can't I get picture messages? .. Everytime someone sends one it says "Cannot download message from... " on the screen then says message not downloaded with a red message icon that has an exclamation point inside it on the notification bar.

hpham
Member Avatar

Go to Settings-->Back up & Reset, then check the boxes for "Back up my data" and "Automatic Restore".

You need data ON to send/receive text messages with attachments. If data was not on when a message with attachments came in, turn on data then touch the download arrows in the message to download attachments. If data is not on when you try to send a message with attachments, the message won't be sent.

shortcake_870

OK thanks, it worked. I had the data on but the the background data restricted.

Ccmanz

I am having trouble with my phone when I make calls. The phone goes blank and I can't get it to wake up? I checked the light sensor and it is working. I tried an app "Shake awake" and it's not working either.

If I call someone and they don't answer or I leave a message. I can't hang up the phone. I have to pull the battery out to end the call.

Anyone know of any settings or options I might check?

hpham
Member Avatar

The proximity sensor, which blanks out the screen when it's near your body, probably malfunctioned. There's an app on Google Play called "ZTE proximity sensor calibration". The feedbacks seem to be very positive. Let us know whether or not it fixes your problem.

Ccmanz

hpham
January 27, 2014, 10:34 pm
The proximity sensor, which blanks out the screen when it's near your body, probably malfunctioned. There's an app on Google Play called "ZTE proximity sensor calibration". The feedbacks seem to be very positive. Let us know whether or not it fixes your problem.
It does seem to be working better... I will report back in a few days to let you know for sure if it worked.

Thanks for the help.

Updated 1-29-14

Yes this did solve the problem. I can now hang up without pulling the battery after leaving voice mail.

Thanks again for the help.

the Wizard
Member Avatar

If anyone who may be having problems with the Valet and thinks he might like to return it to Tracfone and exchange it for a different brand (e.g. Glory, Centura, L39C), abandon that idea. I've been having problems with my Valet from day one and talked to Tracfone this evening about exchanging it for the Glory, but they informed me that is not possible, contrary to company policy. I spoke with a manager also and that is firm company policy.

So I'm returning the phone anyway and they will send me another Valet which I will promptly sell at a discounted price and purchase the L39C. I had planned to wait a while before buying the L39C but Tracfone has forced my hand.

tophat1

Hey Everyone; I downloaded the CoPilot Premium GPS and its a lot better then Google Maps. For the cost can't beat it. One thing that I have trouble with is if you are a few blocks from were you need to turn it just says you need to turn ( say left ) in a short distance. So you have to watch it to make sure you are at the right place.

Anyway I have a question on my Tracfone Acct. that keeps track of my minutes and data for me . At the bottom of the screen it has Updated Balance 1/9/2014. Does this ever change. I guess I would like to see today's date and the balance as of today? Thanks Dennis

hpham
Member Avatar

tophat1
February 3, 2014, 10:52 pm
I downloaded the CoPilot Premium GPS and its a lot better then Google Maps. One thing that I have trouble with is if you are a few blocks from were you need to turn it just says you need to turn ( say left ) in a short distance. So you have to watch it to make sure you are at the right place.
You can customize the turn instructions. While running CoPilot, touch the Settings button at the bottom of the screen, then touch Guidance. From there, you can customize Turn Warning Distances, and Turn Now Announcement.

tophat1

Anyway I have a question on my Tracfone Acct. that keeps track of my minutes and data for me . At the bottom of the screen it has Updated Balance 1/9/2014. Does this ever change. I guess I would like to see today's date and the balance as of today
I no longer have the MyAccount app because it doesn't work on my phone. But I think you need to touch the "Balance" button to initiate a balance request, and the date on the display will be updated.

tophat1

hpham
February 4, 2014, 12:33 am
tophat1
February 3, 2014, 10:52 pm
I downloaded the CoPilot Premium GPS and its a lot better then Google Maps. One thing that I have trouble with is if you are a few blocks from were you need to turn it just says you need to turn ( say left ) in a short distance. So you have to watch it to make sure you are at the right place.
You can customize the turn instructions. While running CoPilot, touch the Settings button at the bottom of the screen, then touch Guidance. From there, you can customize Turn Warning Distances, and Turn Now Announcement.

tophat1

Anyway I have a question on my Tracfone Acct. that keeps track of my minutes and data for me . At the bottom of the screen it has Updated Balance 1/9/2014. Does this ever change. I guess I would like to see today's date and the balance as of today
I no longer have the MyAccount app because it doesn't work on my phone. But I think you need to touch the "Balance" button to initiate a balance request, and the date on the display will be updated.
Thanks I will give it a try. I tried it and did not do what I thought it would do but will try it again in a day or two and see if the numbers change. Maybe the date don't change in the little green box just the figures. Dennis

gustafus

I really like my ZTE and don't understand why anybody would trade it in for the new LG 39c. The LG 39c appears to have the same specs as the ZTE Valet except is missing both a camera flash and an LED missed call/battery charge indicator light. I've had to use my ZTE's camera flash for low light pictures and also as a flashlight with a free flashlight app. The ZTE's LED missed call/battery charge indicator light enables me to see the phone's status at a glance without having to turn the phone on.

the Wizard
Member Avatar

tophat1,

If you're using the My Account app from Tracfone, just touch the Balance icon in the lower right corner of the screen and it will update your balance and show the date of the update. I just checked on my balance and below the balance info it shows 2/5/2014 1:11 AM

the Wizard
Member Avatar

gustafus,

You're lucky that you got a good Valet and haven't had any problems with it. I wish I had been so fortunate. I'm on my third one now which I will be returning to Tracfone as soon as I receive the return envelope. I hope yours remains trouble free for a very long time. I should have my LG39C in a couple of days.

tophat1

the Wizard
February 5, 2014, 2:19 am
tophat1,

If you're using the My Account app from Tracfone, just touch the Balance icon in the lower right corner of the screen and it will update your balance and show the date of the update. I just checked on my balance and below the balance info it shows 2/5/2014 1:11 AM
Just tried it again and in the little green box it says 1/9/14 10:21 AM. Yep I did hit the balance icon in lower right corner. In fact did it twice. Do you think I need to uninstall it and load it again it sure does not want to up date. Dennis

tfuser19

tophat1,
Do you have a mobile signal and WiFi on when doing the balance request? Does the phone receive a text message with the balance request info?

tophat1

tfuser19
February 6, 2014, 6:13 am
tophat1,
Do you have a mobile signal and WiFi on when doing the balance request? Does the phone receive a text message with the balance request info?
Thank You worked great!!!! This is my first Smart Phone so I'm REALLLLLLLLY new to this stuff !!! I did not know you had to have WiFi or Mobil on to do it. With everyone helping me maybe I'll get a 1/3 as smart as this phone. Thanks Again Dennis

phoenix1
Member Avatar

tophat1
February 6, 2014, 12:36 pm
Thank You worked great!!!! This is my first Smart Phone so I'm REALLLLLLLLY new to this stuff !!! I did not know you had to have WiFi or Mobil on to do it. With everyone helping me maybe I'll get a 1/3 as smart as this phone. Thanks Again Dennis
Don't feel bad, I never have WiFi or data on and always forget to turn it on when I check my balance, then try to figure out what's wrong. Hang in there you'll catch on in no time. ;)

tfuser19

tophat1,
You're smart for posting the question :) .... the dumb app should tell you what it needs! Glad it worked for you.

Lipcrkr

Guys, I ordered my new BLU Life One X from Amazon and I should have it in a few days. I currently have the ZTE Valet and will miss it, but I wanted a bigger and better phone. There are some nice unlocked phones out there for less than $300 while still maintaining the pay as you go plans.

I have an H2O SIM card (cost me 5 cents from Amazon) and once I get my phone I'll have to switch over. For $10 I get 200 minutes for 90 days. I wished that Tracfone used GSM instead of CDMA on the BYOP program. I still have about 200 minutes and some data left on my Valet..........so looks like I'll be trying to use up as much as I can in the next few days (I'm porting my Tracfone # to H2O).

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

ShopCellDeals is offering:

the Tracfone ZTE Valet Android Smartphone with 600 Minutes/Text/Data Included for $69.99.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZTE-Valet-Android-Smartphone-with-600-Minutes-Text-Data-Included-Tracfone/Cell

This looks like a pretty good deal to me, as the 200-Minute Airtime Card normally runs $39.88+ all by itself at Wal-Mart.
So, if I can do the math correctly, the phone would actually cost a little less than $30.00. ...How about that?
A smartphone for $30.00!

ShadowDancer :O

gdsmit1

I just bought the ZTE Valet at Target last night for $49.99. I activated it and moved my number over from my LG800g. The whole thing took about an hour until I was using the Valet. I'm pretty happy with that but have a minor annoyance with it.

At Christmas, we got my son the ZTE Valet. We were replacing his LG800g. I went to tracfone.com and was able to activate his phone and move his number and minutes over. But last night, I attempted to do the same thing to move my number and minutes between my phones and I had to call the number to do the activation. I called the voice response system and withing about 5 minutes it was finished. But why did I have to call to move my number and didn't have to do that for my son? My thoughts are that my phone is listed as the account owner and my son had about 200 minutes, I had over 2000. Anyone know if either of these is the reason I had to call?

But with that out of the way, I have a question about the usage of the phone. I haven't had a chance to play with it since that finished at about midnight and I had to be at work at 6.

I noticed that when I was connected to my home wifi, as soon as I woke the phone up it checked my gmail account. Is there a setting when I can tell the phone to not automatically check gmail unless I'm on wifi? I know a friend's Samsung Galaxy something has a setting to turn off updates unless on wifi.

Also, my LG800g had a microSD card in it and I told the phone to store my contacts on that. Would I be able to move the microSD over to the Valet and import the contacts?

Thanks

hpham
Member Avatar

gdsmit1
February 18, 2014, 10:58 am
Is there a setting when I can tell the phone to not automatically check gmail unless I'm on wifi?

Also, my LG800g had a microSD card in it and I told the phone to store my contacts on that. Would I be able to move the microSD over to the Valet and import the contacts?
If you usually keep data turned off on your phone, Gmail can try checking mail all the time but it effectively can do it only when Wifi is available anyway. (All I get on my Gmail are notifications/invitations from Google users. I turn off Gmail Sync on my Valet).

You can use bluetooth to transfer your contact list from the LG 800 to the Valet.

Take a look at my review of the Valet on Amazon and the associated 230 comments. Lots of useful tips.

gdsmit1

Very nice review. Lots of good information. It could take hours to get through all those replies, I don't think I've ever seen that many replies to a review.

I played around with Bluetooth the other day and never did get it working to transfer the contacts. So I just manually transferred what I wanted.

I now turn off data by default. I do turn it on at times when I want to check something.

I'm also looking into how to set things up to use one of the "text+" type of apps to send texts via data instead of the texting pool. That's not for me, but my son goes through the text pool very quickly. Since texting isn't Megs of data, I imagine it would be pretty cheap to text via one of those apps as long as you don't have synchronization turned on.

d3rocks4u

Anyone look into updating the miifavor ui that comes on the phone?

hpham
Member Avatar

d3rocks4u
February 25, 2014, 2:49 am
I have no ideas what you're talking about.

bummpr
Member Avatar

d3rocks4u
February 25, 2014, 2:49 am
Absolutely one of the best is Nova Launcher Free!

It was so good that I opted to pay for the Prime Version to get a few more options. But the Free version is very complete and does not detract from itself by serving up ads or any other annoying intrusions.

You can easily add more home screens and change the UI to give a more pleasant and personalized interface. I did not notice any slow down (in fact it allows you to speed up responsiveness) or bulk to your already limited memory.

Nova Launcher

gdsmit1

So is that just something that you install from the Play Store and it works or is there some hacking needed to replace the current UI?

tfuser19

gdsmit1
February 27, 2014, 7:44 am
So is that just something that you install from the Play Store and it works or is there some hacking needed to replace the current UI?
You just install it.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

gdsmit1
February 27, 2014, 7:44 am
YouTube has a few videos about the Nova Launcher, I think this one is one of the better ones. I have it on both of my tablets and my Valet and really like it...hope the video helps :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0yIMEkRnf0

gdsmit1

I installed Nova Launcher last night. It looks really good and I like how it does things. Unfortunately it kept crashing on me. Every time I did anything other than go into settings it said that it had crashed. So I uninstalled it and tried some others. Go Launcher seemed nice, but none of the standard widgets worked with it. The premium version costs $16, so I won't be doing that.

So until I have time to figure out what the problem is with Nova Launcher, I guess I'll stick with the stock launcher.

first smartphone

Yesterday at a local Dollar General Store I saw a sign that the ZTE Valet will be $49.xx through March 3, 2014. And the LG 840g will be $29.xx through March 3. Wonder if this means that TracFone is closing out those models at discount just prior to offering other phones? When I got home, I checked TracFone website, but there was no discount at all from the regular prices on those two models? Any ideas, fellow Turkomaniacs? Thanks!

hpham
Member Avatar

first smartphone
February 28, 2014, 1:41 pm
Yesterday at a local Dollar General Store I saw a sign that the ZTE Valet will be $49.xx through March 3, 2014.
The Valet has been on sale for $49.99 at Radio Shack since mid-January, until 3/31/14. Some people reported the same $49.xx price at Kmart, Target. On TF web site, it was marked down to $79.99 for most of February, but now is back to $99.99.

tpmar

Just got my ZTE Valet activated a few days ago and still a lot to learn. A big step up from my Motorola EX124g. Thank God activation went smoothly and minutes and numbers were transferred in about an hour. My question is about adding music. I know it has to be an MP3, and I had no trouble hooking it up to my Windows Vista equipped laptop. I could see the 2 drives, the main phone one plus my SD card. I created a folder on my SD card called "Music" and within that folder I created another one called "Boston" (one of my favorite groups). That folder is where I put the MP3's. The phone didn't recognize them. So I hooked to my PC again and this time used Windows Media Player to sync the songs and that worked. It just put them in the folder I created called "Music". This time my songs are visible and play on my phone. I was able to create a playlist on the phone called "Boston" and one at a time put each song on that playlist. Is there an easier way to organize my songs in this way? I would like a folder for each group name and then put their songs in that folder. It's going to be a long task if I have to do it one song at a time. Maybe something like Winamp would help? Thanks everyone in this forum, I've read every post and they are very helpful.

hpham
Member Avatar

tpmar
March 8, 2014, 11:03 am
Is there an easier way to organize my songs in this way? I would like a folder for each group name and then put their songs in that folder. It's going to be a long task if I have to do it one song at a time. Maybe something like Winamp would help?
I have my mp3 files on my computer in a folder called Music, and a subfolder for each band, and subfolders within each band for their albums. I connected the phone to my computer and drag-drop the whole Music folder from my computer to the SD card on the phone. The file structure remains the same. The Music (not Play Music) app found and organized them just fine. After you add music files to the phone/card, it's best to turn the phone off then back on, so it'll scan the SD card and find the new files.

If you have music files in format other than MP3, the PowerAmp app will play them.

Read My ZTE Valet Review on Amazon and the associated comments. There are lots of helpful tips in there.

Homura

Can someone post a picture of the texting position for the ZTE?

Also if you can put your hand so I can get a mental imagine of how my hands could fit on it? I'm a pretty avid texter. lol

hpham
Member Avatar

Homura
March 8, 2014, 10:29 pm
I'm a pretty avid texter. lol
If you use text a lot, a TF Android is not a good idea for you. With the 3-bucket billing method, each text uses 1 unit from the text bucket, and once your text bucket runs dry you can't use talk minutes for texting and have to add more time.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

hpham
March 8, 2014, 10:45 pm
Homura
If you use text a lot, a TF Android is not a good idea for you. With the 3-bucket billing method, each text uses 1 unit from the text bucket, and once your text bucket runs dry you can't use talk minutes for texting and have to add more time.
Um, if you download a good texting app, you can text for free to your heart's content on a TF Android.

ShadowDancer ;)

tpmar

hpham
March 8, 2014, 1:28 pm
tpmar
March 8, 2014, 11:03 am
Is there an easier way to organize my songs in this way? I would like a folder for each group name and then put their songs in that folder. It's going to be a long task if I have to do it one song at a time. Maybe something like Winamp would help?
I have my mp3 files on my computer in a folder called Music, and a subfolder for each band, and subfolders within each band for their albums. I connected the phone to my computer and drag-drop the whole Music folder from my computer to the SD card on the phone. The file structure remains the same. The Music (not Play Music) app found and organized them just fine. After you add music files to the phone/card, it's best to turn the phone off then back on, so it'll scan the SD card and find the new files.

If you have music files in format other than MP3, the PowerAmp app will play them.

Read My ZTE Valet Review on Amazon and the associated comments. There are lots of helpful tips in there.
Thanks hpham! All I was doing wrong is not turning it off. Got all my songs on it now. This group is great, I'd be totally lost without all of this great info. Still lots of apps to learn but that's for a different topic.
To follow up on post # 630 in this topic regarding the ZTE Valet problem with the proximity sensor, I did get the app you recommended and it worked perfectly and took about 3 seconds to do. So far that's the only issue I've had with my Valet. Battery life seems fine and the wifi and Verizon signal strength has been fine. I've been to 3 public wifi places and it had OK signal in all of them.

Turtley
Member Avatar

I'm thinking of getting a ZTE Valet since they are on sale so I can have a phone on Verizon networks(?). My LG 840G has been good but the signal is spotty in some areas that I travel to while other friends, co-workers and family members Verizon based phone always seem to have great signals.

I just came back from a small 11 mile trip with a friend who has a Verizon based phone and he had full signal bars on his phone while I had only one tiny bar showing. Although I have not had a drop out yet and get a great signal while at home. It's just when I travel away from home or go to another state that my 840G signal drops off to near nothing.

I don't normally text but do have a speech impaired sister in-law who does text from time to time as I'm hearing impaired. I do like to look up the weather reports and read some news while on breaks at work using the company's wifi router.

Is the Valet a good phone with Verizon service to go with from the LG 840G?

Thanks,

Turtley

annepani

Turtley
March 11, 2014, 1:28 pm
I'm thinking of getting a ZTE Valet since they are on sale so I can have a phone on Verizon networks(?). ... I do like to look up the weather reports and read some news while on breaks at work using the company's wifi router. Is the Valet a good phone with Verizon service to go with from the LG 840G?
Thanks, Turtley
Based on comments on all 5 Tracfone Androids, the Valet seems to have the weakest wifi capability among all Tracfone Androids. If wifi is a part of your plans, I would suggest you look at the other offerings.

How much cheaper is the Valet sale price than the LG L39C available through shopcelldeals on ebay? They often have the cheapest prices around. Or even its predecessor, the LG L38C which might be cheaper by now. If all you need is talk and text with occasional wifi, the LG L38C might be all you need.

hpham
Member Avatar

Turtley
I switched from an AT&T LG840 to a Valet last October and I'm very happy with it. The cell signal usually shows 4 bars out of 6. Calls are crystal clear. The only legitimate complaint about the Valet is its Wifi range, which is about 40' or less. Everything else is comparable with other TF Android models.

shortcake_870

Is there a way to set a specific screen as my home screen? Every time I add a screen it changes my original home screen. The only way I've found to set it back the way I had it is to rearrange the screens. That setup irritates me for a while because now when I look for an app or something I end up swiping the wrong way because I'm used to the previous setup. I have a tablet with 4.2 on it & it lets me select any screen I want to be my home screen. So do I need to try another launcher or is it just this Android version & I'm stuck with it?

hpham
Member Avatar

You can use the Screen Edit function to rearrange the order of the screens. Usually the home screen is the 2nd from left on the display. To invoke Screen Edit, touch the Menu key while you're viewing the home screen, then Customization, then Screen Edit. "X" any unwanted extra screen that was inserted. Hold and move the screens around to rearrange their order. Hit the Home key when you're done.

Turtley
Member Avatar

hpham
March 11, 2014, 1:50 pm
Turtley
I switched from an AT&T LG840 to a Valet last October and I'm very happy with it. The cell signal usually shows 4 bars out of 6. Calls are crystal clear. The only legitimate complaint about the Valet is its Wifi range, which is about 40' or less. Everything else is comparable with other TF Android models.
@annepani,
Thanks for your suggestion. I will think about the other models. However I would rather shop locally.

@hpham,
I have read about the WiFi being weak but how weak compared to the 840G?

Thanks for your help.

Turtlry

hpham
Member Avatar

Turtley
March 11, 2014, 8:19 pm
@hpham,
In my house, both of them work from 40' away. So I didn't do any comparison.

Turtley
Member Avatar

^ Then I'll be fine with WiFi ^
Primary use will be phone on Verizon networks with checking the news / weather once in a while on WiFi.

I've been reading your comments from your above post. I'm on page 18 now. Lol!!

Thanks for your help.

Turltey

Turtley
Member Avatar

hpham
March 11, 2014, 8:39 pm
Turtley
March 11, 2014, 8:19 pm
@hpham,
In my house, both of them work from 40' away. So I didn't do any comparison.
I picked up a ZTE on the way to work yesterday and charged it up. At break time I did a test WiFi connection to the company's router and the ZTE didn't even see the router until I walked towards where the router is located before it could see it. It would then connect up but drop the connection. I estimate I was about 15 feet away from the router.

On my LG 840G I could connect and stay connected much further away from the router than with the ZTE. I could walk away from the router about 50 feet and stay connected. It would drop out if I went much further though.

I know you told me that the WiFi is weak but it is much weaker than I expected. Is this about the norm for the ZTE?

While the ZTE is hearing aid compatible and shows that info on the package I do pick up a little RF leakage to my hearing aid. I hear a buzzing sound.

With the 840G I hear nothing from the radio at all.
I guess it would be better at other WiFi hotspots other than at work.

Is it possible that I have a bad unit?
I can return but only to exchange for another one.

BTW, the ZTE hasn't been activated yet as I was testing out the WiFi.

Turtley

annepani

Turtley
March 13, 2014, 12:13 am
I picked up a ZTE on the way to work yesterday and charged it up. At break time I did a test WiFi connection to the company's router and the ZTE didn't even see the router until I walked towards where the router is located before it could see it. It would then connect up but drop the connection. I estimate I was about 15 feet away from the router.

I know you told me that the WiFi is weak but it is much weaker than I expected. Is this about the norm for the ZTE?

Is it possible that I have a bad unit?

Turtley
Yes that is the norm. Wifi is the biggest complaint about the ZTE Valet.

I don't think you have a bad unit. The whole model has characteristically bad wifi.

hpham
Member Avatar

Turtley
March 13, 2014, 12:13 am
I guess it would be better at other WiFi hotspots other than at work.
Do you work in a building with lots of steel beams and window frames? Wifi signal strength varies depending on equipment, distance, building structure, etc. Modern buildings have a lot of steel which acts like antenna and soaks up the signal. Most residential homes are made of wood, sheetrock, concrete, bricks, which don't absorb signal.

My house is 30' x 30', the router is in the opposite corner of where I sit, and in the basement one floor below. The distance is about 40'. The Valet usually shows 1-2 bars out of 4, but it never lost connection. Do you have Wifi in your home? If yes, how is the Valet working at home?

Turtley
Member Avatar

@annepani,
Ok. I was wondering if I needed to exchange it.

@hpham,
I do work in a building with concrete and steel beams however where the router is located and where I take my breaks is wooden of structure. I guess I'm close or just over the 40 foot range for the router.

Testing WiFi at home produced the same 40 foot range as well. My house is all wood but with a meta roof. Around the 40 foot range I get 1 bar or dot on WiFi.

I went ahead and activated the ZTE keeping my number / minutes. Waiting on my 840G to go inactive now.

EDIT: ZTE now active. No problems activating and transferring my minutes over from my 840G. It only took about 45 minutes.

I got everything working now. The button (back, home, settings) lightes at the bottom of the screen came on finally. It took another call to *22890 to get 3G working.

Thanks for all your help.

Turtley

Turtley
Member Avatar

The button (back, home, settings) lights at the bottom of the screen came on finally came on then went back off. They were off to begin with but came on for a while and now there back off again.

Anyone know how to rename favorite icons placed on your home screen?

Thanks,

Turtley

hpham
Member Avatar

Turtley
March 14, 2014, 1:09 pm
The button (back, home, settings) lights at the bottom of the screen came on finally came on then went back off. They were off to begin with but came on for a while and now there back off again.

The backlight for the buttons is driven by a sensor which detects ambient light. Cup your hand over the sensor near the top of the screen and it'll force the light to come on after a few seconds.

I don't know of a way to rename the icons.

runner

Turtley

Thanks,

Turtley
For the backlight keys, try: settings>display>front key light>turn of front key light (checked) & front key duration (try different settings, i.e., instead of automatic, maybe 2 secs, 5 secs, always on). Once in awhile I find that just changing it from "automatic" to "5 secs" work.

To rename your apps, the only way I know is by using a different launcher. I use Go Launcher. On Go Launcher, you long press the app on your home screen and one of the option is to "rename".

I play around with different apps and monitor things on my ZTE Awe which doesn't have a phone service so no worries. I only tried 2 launchers (Go Launcher and Nova).

hpham
Member Avatar

runner
March 14, 2014, 2:49 pm
For the backlight keys, try: settings>display>front key light>turn of front key light (checked) & front key duration (try different settings, i.e., instead of automatic, maybe 2 secs, 5 secs, always on). Once in awhile I find that just changing it from "automatic" to "5 secs" work.
There's no such setting on the ZTE Valet.

Lipcrkr

Does anyone know how to reset settings? My phone doesn't ring, when i go to "gallery" my pics don't show up, my live wallpaper and wallpaper are fine, but not gallery, my alarm doesn't ring, etc etc.
My screen says " unfortunately, your setting has stopped". I tried going into the apps menu where it says "disable", "able", "force stop" etc, but nothing.

Turtley
Member Avatar

hpham
March 14, 2014, 1:39 pm
Turtley

The backlight for the buttons is driven by a sensor which detects ambient light. Cup your hand over the sensor near the top of the screen and it'll force the light to come on after a few seconds.

@runner,
Thanks for your suggestions. I did look for a setting for the button lights. Lol!
It's no biggie about renaming the icons right now. Maybe later. hehe

@hpham,
Oh! Now I see says the blind man! Thanks for point that out to me.
Still a lot to learn so I may have more questions later.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Turtley

hpham
Member Avatar

Lipcrkr
March 14, 2014, 10:22 pm
Does anyone know how to reset settings? My screen says " unfortunately, your setting has stopped".
You can do a factory reset, but from what I've read it really messes up your phone and you'll have to spend a lot of time on the phone with TF support to get it working again.

Did you install any new app recently?

Lipcrkr

hpham
March 14, 2014, 11:19 pm
Lipcrkr
March 14, 2014, 10:22 pm
Does anyone know how to reset settings? My screen says " unfortunately, your setting has stopped".
You can do a factory reset, but from what I've read it really messes up your phone and you'll have to spend a lot of time on the phone with TF support to get it working again.

Did you install any new app recently?
I did, the Notification Toggle, My Account, and My data Manager, but that was before the problems started, however, i uninstalled all of them because i never use them anyways.
I am only using the Valet for one more month until my minutes run out. My new phone will be my main phone plus the minutes and data i save by not using my new phone for another month.
But it's frustrating to not have my phone ring (it just vibrates), i can't pull up pics in the gallery, only Live wallpapers, and my alarm goes off but only vibrating.
I should have left everything alone instead of trying to save some space by disabling most of the features i don't use.
Perhaps my statement about resetting the settings is not the answer. Maybe there's a simpler way i'm not aware of.

hpham
Member Avatar

Lipcrkr
March 15, 2014, 1:02 am
But it's frustrating to not have my phone ring (it just vibrates), and my alarm goes off but only vibrating.
Sounds like somehow your phone was placed in silent mode. Go to Settings-->Sound, make sure Silent mode is off.

tfu2215

This is my first post, but I've been reading this board for a long time and it's a great resource - thanks to everyone for sharing.

My daughter's use of her texting bucket far outstrips her data useage. Is there a texting app that will use the data bucket rather than the texting bucket when she only has a 3G connection? What are the best apps for this?

Turtley
Member Avatar

hpham
March 14, 2014, 1:39 pm
Turtley

I found a way to rename shortcut icons added to your home page but the rename has to be done when creating the shortcut. Try these steps to see if this works for you as it does for me.

1. Open browser and navigate to the webpage you want.
2. Touch star in upper left and select save to bookmarks.
3. Rename label to what you want. Keep it short. Account was my Gmail account. It doesn't seem to work with local account.
4. Touch OK to save book mark.
5, Touch menu (3 lines) and touch bookmarks. You should see the bookmark you just created with your label.
6. Touch and hold your new book mark and select add shortcut to home.
7. Touch and hold your new book mark and select delete bookmark.
8. Press home to go to your home page to see your new shortcut with your label you just created.

Done!

Turtley

bummpr
Member Avatar

tfu2215
March 15, 2014, 8:57 am
This is my first post, but I've been reading this board for a long time and it's a great resource - thanks to everyone for sharing.

My daughter's use of her texting bucket far outstrips her data useage. Is there a texting app that will use the data bucket rather than the texting bucket when she only has a 3G connection? What are the best apps for this?
Google Voice

Lipcrkr

hpham
March 15, 2014, 7:46 am
Lipcrkr
March 15, 2014, 1:02 am
But it's frustrating to not have my phone ring (it just vibrates), and my alarm goes off but only vibrating.
Sounds like somehow your phone was placed in silent mode. Go to Settings-->Sound, make sure Silent mode is off.
That was the first thing i checked. But it isn't just sound, it also affects my media files as well. I have pics that i transferred from my PC to the phone. The pic that comes on my home screen does come up, but if i want to change to another pic i can't. The screen say's "0" media files even though i have many.
The generic pics on the phone are fine. But i have no access to most of my media files as well as the phone and alarm not ringing. I think i know what the problem is but don't know how to correct it.
I want to be able to "able" everything like it was before instead of "disable" and "force stop" which it is now. But i am not having success.

hpham
Member Avatar

Lipcrkr
March 15, 2014, 6:45 pm
I want to be able to "able" everything like it was before instead of "disable" and "force stop" which it is now. But i am not having success.
"Disable" and "Force stop" are the actions that you can take with an app; it doesn't reflect the status of the app. Anyhow, go to Task Manager-->Apps, review one app at a time, if you see any that has an "Enable" box, touch it.

Lipcrkr

hpham
March 15, 2014, 8:12 pm
Lipcrkr
"Disable" and "Force stop" are the actions that you can take with an app; it doesn't reflect the status of the app. Anyhow, go to Task Manager-->Apps, review one app at a time, if you see any that has an "Enable" box, touch it.
Some of those boxes have been grayed out, how can i change that? There must be a way to revert back to "enable". Also, when i go into Task Manager and try "Tasks" instead of "Apps", most of my apps have a red X next to it.

hpham
Member Avatar

Lipcrkr
March 15, 2014, 11:36 pm
when i go into Task Manager and try "Tasks" instead of "Apps", most of my apps have a red X next to it.
Task Manager-->Tasks shows the tasks that are running, and you touch the red X if you want to close them.

runner

Lipcrkr
hpham
Lipcrkr
Some of those boxes have been grayed out, how can i change that? There must be a way to revert back to "enable". Also, when i go into Task Manager and try "Tasks" instead of "Apps", most of my apps have a red X next to it.
Try: settings>apps>all apps. Scroll to the bottom of the list and the apps you disabled should be there. Click on apps you want to re-enable.

I would also recommend installing Clean Master from playstore. When you install, uninstall apps, some remants may remain. Also a good idea to power off your phone for 15 minutes or so and reboot.

I'm presuming that some of the apps are greyed out (I know some of mine are that I never disabled) because there is no option to disable them (i.e., protecting people with curious minds like myself :) )

Last resort: factory reset. Good thing you have a backup phone. (I've done 3 or 4 factory reset on my Centura and no issues whatsoever, for me.)

tpmar

Regarding picture management on my Valet, I recently put about 2,400 songs on it. I play the songs using the music app (not "play music) and all of the album cover artwork shows up for the song that is playing. This is fine, but when I try to view photos I've taken with the phone using "gallery", all of the album cover art is also in there. This takes up so many screens I never did make it to the end of them. I would rather just see pictures I've taken or imported to my phone and not the album art. Any suggestions on how to get the album cover pics out of gallery? Thanks.

hpham
Member Avatar

tpmar
March 16, 2014, 3:50 pm
...when I try to view photos I've taken with the phone using "gallery", all of the album cover art is also in there. This takes up so many screens I never did make it to the end of them. I would rather just see pictures I've taken or imported to my phone and not the album art. Any suggestions on how to get the album cover pics out of gallery?
The pictures that the Gallery app displays can be sorted by different options: Albums, Locations, Times, Tags, by touching the option in the top left corner. When I selected Albums, the pictures were placed in these groups: Camera, Download, Screenshot, bluetooth, etc. If you select Camera, you'll only see the pictures taken with the phone's camera. My guess is that your album covers would be placed in the Download group.

There's a free app called QuickPic which gives you more control, which folders to include/exclude, etc.

tpmar

hpham
March 16, 2014, 4:03 pm
tpmar
March 16, 2014, 3:50 pm
...when I try to view photos I've taken with the phone using "gallery", all of the album cover art is also in there. This takes up so many screens I never did make it to the end of them. I would rather just see pictures I've taken or imported to my phone and not the album art. Any suggestions on how to get the album cover pics out of gallery?
The pictures that the Gallery app displays can be sorted by different options: Albums, Locations, Times, Tags, by touching the option in the top left corner. When I selected Albums, the pictures were placed in these groups: Camera, Download, Screenshot, bluetooth, etc. If you select Camera, you'll only see the pictures taken with the phone's camera. My guess is that your album covers would be placed in the Download group.

There's a free app called QuickPic which gives you more control, which folders to include/exclude, etc.
Thanks so much again hpham; I just got that quickpic app, and it started to pull in all my album cover art, but I went to settings and in there I can choose folders to exclude and I chose my music folder. Problem solved.

tpmar

I picked up a pretty nice case for my Valet called "Trident". It was fairly pricey but seems like it will offer good protection.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9YW8AW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm looking for an armband holder for my phone with this case. The dimensions with my phone in this case are 5 x 2.75 x .75. Was wondering if anyone else has found one that will fit with a fairly chunky case like this one is.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

tpmar
March 16, 2014, 5:00 pm
I picked up a pretty nice case for my Valet called "Trident". It was fairly pricey but seems like it will offer good protection.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9YW8AW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm looking for an armband holder for my phone with this case. The dimensions with my phone in this case are 5 x 2.75 x .75. Was wondering if anyone else has found one that will fit with a fairly chunky case like this one is.
I have the same one, but got it in the 'Android green' color, I love it! Amazon's price is way better than what you find at their website but it's worth the extra cost.

I found a large list of armband holders at Amazon, so I guess it's just a matter of sorting through the ones they have to see if any meets your needs. Most look like they're for Iphones but I'm sure there's something that would work. Hope this helps

Amazon armband list

phoenix1
Member Avatar

Also, if you're crafty, I just found a couple of videos telling you how to make your own arm band...

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57403641-285/diy-a-dead-simple-workout-armband/

http://youtu.be/XUJ-N15nlFc

Lipcrkr

runner
March 16, 2014, 10:11 am
Lipcrkr
hpham
Lipcrkr
Try: settings>apps>all apps. Scroll to the bottom of the list and the apps you disabled should be there. Click on apps you want to re-enable.

I would also recommend installing Clean Master from playstore. When you install, uninstall apps, some remants may remain. Also a good idea to power off your phone for 15 minutes or so and reboot.

I'm presuming that some of the apps are greyed out (I know some of mine are that I never disabled) because there is no option to disable them (i.e., protecting people with curious minds like myself :) )

Last resort: factory reset. Good thing you have a backup phone. (I've done 3 or 4 factory reset on my Centura and no issues whatsoever, for me.)
Thank you, thank you, thank you @ runner.
That was one area i never checked, i got all my pics back, my ringtones, my media, etc.
Mahalo!

gdsmit1

ShadowDancer
March 9, 2014, 4:06 am
hpham
March 8, 2014, 10:45 pm
Homura
Um, if you download a good texting app, you can text for free to your heart's content on a TF Android.

ShadowDancer ;)
Any suggestion on a good texting app? If I used something like Google Voice, would the text come in from the Google Voice number or the Tracfone number?

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.