Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: .... What grade would you give Tracfone/Net10/Straight Talk's customer service?
A
B
C
D
F
Poll Maker
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 6 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Tracfone) ZTE Valet (Z665C) Phone Topic
Topic Started: September 26, 2013, 5:18 pm (49,043 Views)
William Johnson

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts, or questions on this phone, please post it all here ... thanks.

* Attention Turkamaniacs: Tracfone Promotion Codes do not work with the new Tracfone Android Phones.

* Tracfone ZTE Valet Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?custId=TFZEZ665C

* Located in the Topics Forum: Tracfone/Net10 - Apps for Androids - we discuss different apps for android devices.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay thanks, I've just been working on ways to save the battery. It seems to go down a little bit even when it's off so I've been looking to see what might be running in the background but can't find anything :blink:

I've been using Nova for a while on my Nexus too. Although I did do custom icons on the tablet, decided to stay with the Nova ones on the phone.

Just a question...has anyone used Juice Defender to help your battery life?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.latedroid.juicedefender

I use Juice Defender. It claims in its statistics that it is saving me battery life. However, I never ran a scientific test to prove out the claim. But it appears to help.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

phoenix1
Member Avatar

Thanks, I'll download it and give it a try. I tried WatchDog earlier tonight, but it didn't really tell you how to work it so I don't know if it did anything, I uninstalled it -lol.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

I've been looking at my battery use and it shows that the Android system is using 61%, is that high? Cell phone stand by is at 15%. I'm used to the old LG 840 and I could leave that off for forever and the battery stayed full. Every thing that should be off is, but it seems like the battery is going down 2-4% when it's off. Does anyone have any idea if this is normal? I've added the Juice Defender (free version) and I'm not sure if it's doing anything or not.

Or am I just getting paranoid-lol?

hpham
Member Avatar

I don't have Juice Defender or any battery management app on my phone. I keep Wifi, Data, Bluetooth, GPS, Sync off and only turn on briefly when I need to use it. With only the phone function on, it uses about 1% overnight.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

I just took it back to the phone function having gotten rid of the Juice Defender, so now I'll wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Does turning the phone off and on cause a battery drain? I seem to do that a lot to check things and also I'm wondering if I'm not leaving it on the charger long enough. I heard on one of the YouTube videos that if you take it off as soon as it shows it's charged to 100% that it's not really charged that much and to leave it on longer. I guess I'm afraid of overcharging it, or won't that happen?

hpham
Member Avatar

You cannot overcharge it, although it's not good to leave it plugged in for an extended time after it has reached 100%. The battery will go down even when the phone is idle. If it's plugged in, then the charger will "top it off". I think that will be considered a charging cycle, and each battery is good for a certain number of charging cycle. So, that will shorten the life of the battery. Same goes with charging a battery before it reaches 15% or so, because you'll use up 1 charging cycle unnecessarily.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

Guess I am paranoid-lol. I don't think anything about letting my Nexus 7 going down to 14-15%, so why should the phone be any different. Thanks, hpham :)

William Johnson

phoenix1
December 28, 2013, 11:18 pm
I've been looking at my battery use and it shows that the Android system is using 61%, is that high? Cell phone stand by is at 15%. I'm used to the old LG 840 and I could leave that off for forever and the battery stayed full. Every thing that should be off is, but it seems like the battery is going down 2-4% when it's off. Does anyone have any idea if this is normal? I've added the Juice Defender (free version) and I'm not sure if it's doing anything or not.

Or am I just getting paranoid-lol?
My Android System is 3%. Cell Phone Standby is 30%

phoenix1
Member Avatar

The battery only went down 2% since last night, but it's still showing Android system at 62%. What I don't understand is when it says it's been on the battery for almost 4 hours and I had just turned it on. This android world is a confusing one sometimes.

tfuser19

phoenix1, Maybe that's the total time battery has been used since last charge?

hpham
Member Avatar

phoenix1
December 29, 2013, 12:52 pm
The battery only went down 2% since last night, but it's still showing Android system at 62%. What I don't understand is when it says it's been on the battery for almost 4 hours and I had just turned it on.
What that means is that the Android system used 62% of the amount of battery that was used by everything. When it says it's been on battery for almost 4 hours, that's either since it was last charged or last powered on, I don't remember which. I don't power off my phone often, so that usually matches the time when it was last charged.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

Thanks guys, I'm glad there's people that knows what's going on :D I think the 4 hour thing is the amount of time it's been used since the last charge, which was a few days ago. Boy did I make a big mistake, I tried one of my favorite games that I had downloaded on the phone just to check it out...in the 5 or 6 minutes I played it went down 9%...needless to say, I uninstalled it real quick-lol.

charmedangelina

I tried to long press and it did nothing. I clicked everything and it wouldn't light up again. I had to remove the battery, I hope someone can solve this problem. Is it a defective unit or software or hardware issue?

hpham
Member Avatar

I've only had to remove the battery to reset it once since 10/12/13, but I thought that was because I dropped the phone earlier that day. If you have to do it often, it's probably a defective unit.

Otis

You might want to try an app called Battery Doctor from the play store. I like the info it gives as well as what you can do with it. Worth a try.
Being new to android, can anyone tell me the advantage of encrypting my ZTE valet?

silverslider

My phone did the exact same thing(had to pull battery to get it to come on) on the same day as yours. I wonder if something else is going on.

Piqutchi

Shopcelldeals' website has the Valet for ~$73 (down to $65.69 when FBLIKE promo code is used), and a $10 restaurant card is included.
http://shopcelldeals.com/collections/tracfone/products/tracfone-zte-valet-android
Do you think it would be safe for me to purchase there?

LDBoarder

Piqutchi
December 29, 2013, 9:17 pm
Shopcelldeals' website has the Valet for ~$73 (down to $65.69 when FBLIKE promo code is used), and a $10 restaurant card is included.
http://shopcelldeals.com/collections/tracfone/products/tracfone-zte-valet-android
I have purchased 2 Tracfones from Shopcelldeals on eBay. They are are an excellent company to do business with.

Fisha695

charmedangelina
December 28, 2013, 2:47 pm
Just when I was thinking about it it happened. When tapped on the power button to unlock the phone the bottom buttons lit up, but the screen did not turn on. I had to pull out the battery and boot it back up again. Has anyone had this problum and know of a solution?
That happened to me a few hours ago, I just pulled the battery and out and then it worked.

Piqutchi

Alright then. I was concerned that the Triple x Triple minutes would not activate or something.

charmedangelina

Fisha695
December 29, 2013, 10:38 pm
charmedangelina
December 28, 2013, 2:47 pm
Just when I was thinking about it it happened. When tapped on the power button to unlock the phone the bottom buttons lit up, but the screen did not turn on. I had to pull out the battery and boot it back up again. Has anyone had this problum and know of a solution?
That happened to me a few hours ago, I just pulled the battery and out and then it worked.
It worked after I did that but I don't want to do it everyday. What happens if it gets worse? I submitted 2 support tickets to Tracfone on Facebook about this issue and have gotten zero response. It's sad because this is a really nice phone otherwise. I am thinking maybe I should turn the phone off when I go to bed and turn it on when I wake up so that this doesn't happen. Will try tonight to see what happens.

bikerboy94

Ive had phone for a month or so. Had to reset battery once after first few days.
I consider it a non issue at this point and I'm pretty techie the guy friends call when they have issues.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

Piqutchi
December 29, 2013, 9:17 pm
Shopcelldeals has lowered their price to $69.99 + $4.99 shipping on Amazon if people would rather shop there. I don't like Ebay since they insist on PayPal only, I'd rather have a payment option.

You'll find it here.

mroll

Another way to buy one, if you don't mind Ebay, is to get it with the one year, 400 minute card for $130 from shopcelldeals. You don't have to use the card until you need to refill. Since the card alone sells for $85, that makes the price of the phone $45 shipped. I got my 840G for $5 that way.

As far as buying from the shopcelldeals website is concerned, that's where I got the 840G mentioned above. Fast, free shipping via USPS Priority Mail.

charmedangelina

So I have been trying to spread the word around for some time now and I got these responses. One is about uninstalling an app or updates. And the other one this guy on youtube told me about. Try the methods suggested in the comments. If your Valet has the issue then try these things too. I turned off the lock screen and so far (If it don't happen after typing this or later on) it has not happened. If not then I will try the other method which is to power off the phone when charging. Search ZTE Valet on youtube and there should be a video titled Need help ZTE Valet.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

I always power off my phone and tablets when I charge them, I think I read somewhere that they charge faster...but that could be wrong, but it doesn't seem to hurt.

Piqutchi

Well, I made the purchase at Shopcelldeals's site. Looks like I'll be enjoying my first Android phone in a couple days!
I'm so excited!

EDIT: Does anyone know how I am supposed to receive the $10 restaurant gift card? I don't see anything in my email inbox about it yet.

tophat1

On my ZTE Valet Screen ( Unfortunately, Google Text-to-speech Engine gas stopped, with two boxes one with ok and one with report) . It keeps coming up on my screen. What is it and how do I get it to stop? I have everything turned off including WI-FI. Also it chimes every so often like I have an alert or something but I never see any icons on the top like I have mail or something. Any clues to what that is? Thanks Dennis

hpham
Member Avatar

Text-to-speech engine is what makes the phone "talk" to you, like when you get audible turn-by-turn instructions from a GPS navigation app. The recent update for Google text-to-speech has a bug. Touch Task Manager, them touch Apps (at the top of the screens), scroll down and select Google text-to-speech Engine, then touch Uninstall updates (or Uninstall). That will rollback the update and the app will work again.

The top of the screen on an Android device is the "Notification area". When you get beeps, chimes, etc. swipe down from the top of the screen to see the notifications. After viewing them, you can swipe on them from left to right to delete them.

Below

I just discovered a nasty feature of this phone: OWNER INFO DOES NOT SHOW UP ON THE LOCK SCREEN WHEN YOU SECURE IT! Yup, if you use a pattern, pin, or password, your owner info does not show up on the lockscreen. It only shows up if you have it on "Long Press", aka no security. What a joke that is. I'll just stick return instructions in the battery compartment then.

charmedangelina

So far so good with the phone locking. It hasn't looked up yet ever since I turned the lock screen off. I am crossing my figures that I fixed that problem. If not then I will do what the guy on youtube told me todo and see if that helps.

hpham
Member Avatar

Below
December 30, 2013, 10:33 pm
I'll just stick return instructions in the battery compartment then.
I stick an address label with my address and my other phone number on the back cover. I also put another label on the underside of the battery, in case the phone gets retrieved after being stolen and I need to prove that it's mine.

Lipcrkr

hpham
December 29, 2013, 12:02 am
I don't have Juice Defender or any battery management app on my phone. I keep Wifi, Data, Bluetooth, GPS, Sync off and only turn on briefly when I need to use it. With only the phone function on, it uses about 1% overnight.
I here ya.......i do the same thing. I only turn on the phone to make/receive calls. I only use the rest of the phone if i need to. I'm happy with my phone and my usage. No problem with battery because i use the USB port on my computer to keep it charged.
I would still be happy with my LG 840 (which i still have). For me, Tracfone is way better than AT&T/Virgin Mobile (which i have had in the past), because of the Triple minutes.
And my data usage, if i use it, only happens when i leave the house. Otherwise, when i am home, all my phone functions are off (except for what the phone was originally made for, lol). Why look at a screen 3.5" wide when i could be looking at a screen 55" wide.
If Tracfone comes out with an HDMI port phone, well, that would put the icing on the cake.

tophat1

hpham
December 30, 2013, 10:20 pm
Text-to-speech engine is what makes the phone "talk" to you, like when you get audible turn-by-turn instructions from a GPS navigation app. The recent update for Google text-to-speech has a bug. Touch Task Manager, them touch Apps (at the top of the screens), scroll down and select Google text-to-speech Engine, then touch Uninstall updates (or Uninstall). That will rollback the update and the app will work again.

The top of the screen on an Android device is the "Notification area". When you get beeps, chimes, etc. swipe down from the top of the screen to see the notifications. After viewing them, you can swipe on them from left to right to delete them.
Got to the text to speech and hit the uninstall then it asks Do you want to replace this app with the factory version? Do I want to hit ok? Dennis

hpham
Member Avatar

Give it the OK.

tophat1

hpham
December 31, 2013, 12:48 am
Give it the OK.
OK thanks got it done. Will it still audible turn by turn or will I have to install a different app, or is the factory version what I want. Dennis

hpham
Member Avatar

The default version should work fine.

tophat1

hpham
December 31, 2013, 1:14 am
Thanks for all the help. I will see if I can get this phone figured out sooner or later. More then likely with some help form all of you on this site. It's great!! Thanks again Dennis

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

hpham
December 30, 2013, 11:43 pm
Below
December 30, 2013, 10:33 pm
I'll just stick return instructions in the battery compartment then.
I stick an address label with my address and my other phone number on the back cover. I also put another label on the underside of the battery, in case the phone gets retrieved after being stolen and I need to prove that it's mine.
Huh!?! . . . An address label on/in your stolen phone is going to lead the phone thieves right to your front door. Are you prepared for a home invasion?

Law enforcement constantly warns folks about creating a dangerous situation by unwittingly providing their home addresses to thieves. ...Don't ever identify your home address on a phone, a suitcase, a GPS unit, etc. . . . The recommendation is to only use a phone number that cannot be linked to your home address. That is, use another cell phone number or your phone number at work, as your point of contact in case of theft.

Play it safe; don't become a crime statistic!

ShadowDancer :'(
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

hpham
Member Avatar

ShadowDancer
December 31, 2013, 2:59 am
Huh!?! . . . An address label on/in your stolen phone is going to lead the phone thieves right to your front door. Are you prepared for a home invasion?
I don't see it being any worse than having your ID in your wallet/purse, or registration paper in your vehicles. If someone steals your wallet/purse or breaks into your vehicle, they'll know your name & address, unless you don't carry IDs or have registration paper in your vehicles.

thefish

On December 29, 2013 my phone would not turn on (or off) so I took and and reinstalled the battery and that took care of the problem. Earlier in the day some apps from the Google store updated so I attributed the problem to an app. I've since disabled automatic updates from the Play Store.

I saw two other posts that two other people had to do same on the same day. Perhaps it wasn't related to the app updates. Anyone have a comment?

hpham
Member Avatar

I've owned my Valet since 10/12/13. I had to remove/reinstall the battery on 11/15/13, but I figured that was because I dropped the phone earlier that day. A member of the Yahoo Tracfone Group said he had the problem on the same day. It could've been a coincident, or some Google app update was sent out that day. I haven't had the problem since.

thefish

I finally figured out how to program the phone to call an extension number.

1. Enter the phone number (Example 000-123-0000)
2. Press *# located under the number 7/PQRS to advance to another screen.
3. Select Pause
4. Select 123 (this takes you back to the number key pad)
5. Add your extension number (Example 4321)
6. Select next or the return/back key

You're number will look like this: 000-123-0000,4321

Note in Step 3, you can select Wait instead of Pause. After dialing the number, you'll see a pop up asking if you want to continue. Select yes and the extension will be dialed.

charmedangelina

Day two and I am very excited to say that I have not been having the issue since I uninstalled updates and turned off the lock screen. Looks like this phone maybe a keeper after all. :D

phoenix1
Member Avatar

For the people that are having WIFI connection problems, how old is your modem? My cable company is having a deal where they will come in and upgrade your modem to new higher speeds as a trial (but can switch back to original speed so the price won't go up) but you keep the new modem. The guy just left and I had to change the password in my phone so out of curiosity I took the phone in the other room to see what happened to the connection. The old connection was 1 or 2 bars in the living room, now it's jumping from 2 to 3 and pulled a 4 for a little bit. Of course the signal was really strong in the same room with the modem, so I wonder if it will stay stronger in the other room now. I don't use the WIFI much since when I'm home I use the computer but it made me wonder if modems would have anything to do with people's signal.

hpham
Member Avatar

phoenix1
January 1, 2014, 4:59 pm
For the people that are having WIFI connection problems, how old is your modem?
The router is the actual component that handles Wifi function. Some newer modems have the router built in, but in many older setups the modem and the router are separate components.

William Johnson

phoenix1
For the people that are having WIFI connection problems, how old is your modem? My cable company is having a deal where they will come in and upgrade your modem to new higher speeds as a trial (but can switch back to original speed so the price won't go up) but you keep the new modem. The guy just left and I had to change the password in my phone so out of curiosity I took the phone in the other room to see what happened to the connection. The old connection was 1 or 2 bars in the living room, now it's jumping from 2 to 3 and pulled a 4 for a little bit. Of course the signal was really strong in the same room with the modem, so I wonder if it will stay stronger in the other room now. I don't use the WIFI much since when I'm home I use the computer but it made me wonder if modems would have anything to do with people's signal.
It is not a router issue (at least, in my case). I have a newer router and more importantly, I measured the signal on the ZTE, Nexus 7, and laptop all from the same distance from the router. The Valet was the weakest by a significant amount.

charmedangelina

I think I did fix the problum. For anyone having the problum I did, I suggest that you turn off the lock screen to see if that will fix it. So far ever since I turned the lock screen off the phone has been running smoothly. :D

Piqutchi

At about 4:30 PM today, I got my new Valet! So far, it's been a blast to use. I haven't gotten the chance to use it on 3G yet, though, just WiFi.

Lipcrkr

phoenix1
Speaking of WI-FI: Guys, how about Moto X for $299 and monthly payments of $5, $10, $25, and $40 for a phone
service based on WI-FI. For $10 a month, you use the phone through WI-FI. If there is not a WI-FI connection available
where your at, the phone reverts to cell. The $5 amount is only WI-FI, but the $10 and up amount includes both.

This is something I might consider, I get a nice mid-range phone, but with a monthly bill of $10...like Tracfone, but
without the minutes, text, and data accessed. In my case I spend most of my time at home, with my computer and
HDTV connected. Any thoughts?

https://republicwireless.com/phones/moto-x

I currently have the Valet and it's awesome, but I may do the change. $10 a month and using the Moto X, that's quite the combo.

Evilista

If I wasn't locked to tracfone with my 3000 minutes(I've been rolling over year cards for like 14 years with very little use of minutes), I'd be so all over that.

Ccmanz

Evilista
January 4, 2014, 12:02 am
If I wasn't locked to tracfone with my 3000 minutes(I've been rolling over year cards for like 14 years with very little use of minutes), I'd be so all over that.
The one year card is not the cheapest way to go if you are not needing mins.

You can add 4 60 mins cards for $80. Less mins 360 days.
Or you can sign up for the value plan for $6 you add 30 days no mins. $72 no mins 360 days.

hpham
Member Avatar

Ccmanz
January 4, 2014, 8:56 am
The one year card is not the cheapest way to go if you are not needing mins.
You can add 4 60 mins cards for $80. Less mins 360 days.
I usually can find a 1-year card/PIN on Ebay for $80 or less. Like item# 221332796707 currently listed. I've bought from that seller before.

William Johnson

Lipcrkr
January 3, 2014, 6:41 pm
phoenix1
Speaking of WI-FI: Guys, how about Moto X for $299 and monthly payments of $5, $10, $25, and $40 for a phone
service based on WI-FI. For $10 a month, you use the phone through WI-FI. If there is not a WI-FI connection available
where your at, the phone reverts to cell. The $5 amount is only WI-FI, but the $10 and up amount includes both.

This is something I might consider, I get a nice mid-range phone, but with a monthly bill of $10...like Tracfone, but
without the minutes, text, and data accessed. In my case I spend most of my time at home, with my computer and
HDTV connected. Any thoughts?

https://republicwireless.com/phones/moto-x

I currently have the Valet and it's awesome, but I may do the change. $10 a month and using the Moto X, that's quite the combo.
It sounds to me that your bill is $5 WiFi only. $10 gets you wifi and voice on cellular. Good price. If you need cellular data services then you need to sign up for the $25 plan. Also, it is a Sprint network. Sprint does not do well around me (maybe that will change if they merge with t-mobile). Also, the firmware in the Moto X appears to be custom to some degree. I wonder if you wanted to leave Republic would this phone work on Airvoice or H20 or whatever?

Whether this is a good deal or not probably depends on where you do most of your call activity. If you're always around wifi, then this is probably okay (maybe even great is the Moto X can be moved to other providers without a major penalty). However, my cell usage is mixed so if I'm understanding this correctly, I would need the $10 or $25 plan (if I need data).

CNET Review

Ccmanz

hpham
January 4, 2014, 11:31 am
I usually can find a 1-year card/PIN on Ebay for $80 or less. Like item# 221332796707 currently listed. I've bought from that seller before.
Thanks, I will check ebay the next time I need a card.

Ccmanz

I am not a heavy user of the ZTE phone. I normally have WIFI Bluetooth GPS Data Sync all off.
And set my screen brightness lower.
But I still needed to charge the phone every night.
I thought that was too often. So I started looking for options to save the battery.

Here are the settings I am using now and I charge my phone about every 3 to 4 Days
I still keep WIFI Bluetooth GPS Data Sync all off unless I am using them.
But I have the screen brightness on full unless I am using it at night then I will lower it.

I installed Nova Launcher (Not sure if this helped any but I like it better)

Mi-Power

I checked “On time savings”

Between 8pm and 7am

Operator Network OFF
WIFI OFF
GPS OFF
Bluetooth OFF
Sync OFF
Vibrate on touch OFF

Backlight 10%
Backlight timer 15 sec

Power Schedule - Free program

WIFI off leaving for work X:XX am
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri

Ring to silent at work X:XX am
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri

Ring to silent church X:XX am
Sun

Ring on after church X:XX am
Sun

Silent off leaving work X:XX pm (I used to miss calls a lot because I would forget to turn the ring back on)
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri

WIFI on home from work X:XX pm
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri

Anyone else have setting they are using to save power?

Thanks
ccmanz

hpham
Member Avatar

I turn off Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, Data, Sync unless I need them. I set the Brightness to almost maximum, with Auto Brightness off. When I'm done using the phone for something, I go to Task Manager-->Close All, then I briefly hit the power button to turn it off. I keep track of when I charged the phone. I usually go 9 to 11 days between charges. Of course, if I use Wifi to download apps, then it'll need to be charged a few days sooner. I don't use the Valet to surf the 'Net or play games. I have a Galaxy Tab for that.

Evilista

I charge every night, but I use wifi a few times during the day to sync apps(weather, gmail, twitter, etc..). I keep wifi, bluetooth, gps, etc.. all turned off unless I'm using them. I keep brightness at the minimum the phone will go and then use Twilight to make it even dimmer because I find it blindingly bright unless I'm in a super bright room/outside.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

I just finished downloading Notification Toggle onto my phone, it works great and can free the home screen of all those widgets and moves them to the toggle bar and sets up all your controls for WIFI, bluetooth, GPS, data and etc to the toggle bar too. I think it'll make things a lot easier and hopefully save some on the battery too.

Notification Toggle

charmedangelina

I am loving this phone so far. Only issue is that I have a lot of dust under the screen from putting it in my dirty jacket without the case since the case hasn't arrived yet. [Stupid me, but I can live with it. XD] Seriously I should just shut up and be happy that we finally have smartphones now. I can actually use it just like those really expensive phones for very little cost. Tracfone is really heading into the right direction. Thank you everyone who has helped me with my issues and Turk for creating this awesome forum :-) If anyone needs help with there phone feel free to ask. Oh one last question, when adding music to the phone what folder should I put it in. So far I have everything [pics and videos] in the DCIM folder. Can I also just put my music in there?

hpham
Member Avatar

You can put your music files anywhere. The phone will scan all folders and find them. I created a folder named Music and put them there, so it'll be easier for ME to see all the songs that I've loaded.

charmedangelina

hpham
January 5, 2014, 7:25 pm
You can put your music files anywhere. The phone will scan all folders and find them. I created a folder named Music and put them there, so it'll be easier for ME to see all the songs that I've loaded.
Ok, I was just wondering. I finally will be getting a new pair of ear buds and wanted to know how to do this. Thanks :D

tophat1

hpham
December 31, 2013, 1:14 am
I now have my GPS set in the default that you spoke of. Now when I open maps all I get is the Satellite Picture of my home ( wife did that). It still zooms in and out ok. How do I get out of this as I tried and can get it. Also how to set a new route and get rid of the old test routes when I'm able to do some tests? Thanks Dennis

hpham
Member Avatar

tophat1
January 9, 2014, 11:54 pm
Now when I open maps all I get is the Satellite Picture of my home ( wife did that). It still zooms in and out ok. How do I get out of this as I tried and can get it. Also how to set a new route and get rid of the old test routes when I'm able to do some tests?
Which navigation app are you using? I only know how to use Co-Pilot which I purchased. As far as I know it doesn't have satellite picture of anything. Sounds like maybe you're using Google Map, which I don't use.

tophat1

hpham
January 10, 2014, 12:04 am
tophat1
January 9, 2014, 11:54 pm
Now when I open maps all I get is the Satellite Picture of my home ( wife did that). It still zooms in and out ok. How do I get out of this as I tried and can get it. Also how to set a new route and get rid of the old test routes when I'm able to do some tests?
Which navigation app are you using? I only know how to use Co-Pilot which I purchased. As far as I know it doesn't have satellite picture of anything. Sounds like maybe you're using Google Map, which I don't use.
Yep that is the one Google Maps. May be someone else will see this and give me a hand. Thanks Dennis

hpham
Member Avatar

tophat1
January 10, 2014, 12:11 am
Yep that is the one Google Maps. May be someone else will see this and give me a hand. Thanks Dennis
I just now played with it a bit. Looks like you need to turn on Wifi to access the online map. Then in the box at the top of the screen there's an icon with two arrows turning left/right. Touch it to enter your From and To locations for your route. I don't use Google Map because you either need access to the online maps via Wifi or 3G while driving, or download the map which I found the process real clumsy.

tfuser19

Dennis,
From Map press menu button then Satellite.

tophat1

tfuser19
January 10, 2014, 12:42 am
Dennis,
From Map press menu button then Satellite.
I have the Satellite map up all ready just want to get it off the scree for now . I hit menu then satellite and it just stays on the map. Need to get where I can do a route say from my house to local store just to test it out. Dennis

tfuser19

Dennis,
On my Centura which has Google Maps 7.5.0, pressing the Satellite option on the menu toggles between satellite view and map view ....... seems like the ZTE Valet is different ....... what version of Google Maps is installed on your Valet? Hopefully someone with a Valet will chime in on how to go between satellite and map view soon.

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/2839861?hl=en&ref_topic=3497775

hpham
Member Avatar

tfuser19
January 10, 2014, 6:55 pm
On my Centura which has Google Maps 7.5.0, pressing the Satellite option on the menu toggles between satellite view and map view ....... seems like the ZTE Valet is different? Hopefully someone with a Valet will chime in on how to go between satellite and map view soon.
It works the same way on my Valet. When you touch the Menu button, you see a list of choices: traffic, Public transit, bicycling, satellite, google earth. You touch satellite to toggle it ON/OFF.

Dennis,
To set up a route, turn on Wifi or data, touch the two-headed arrow in the search box near the top of the screen. Then you can enter the From and To locations. It'll draw your route on the map. To start navigation, touch the blue arrowhead in the lower right corner. You might have to allow Google Services and the app to access your location info.

tophat1

hpham
January 10, 2014, 8:56 pm
tfuser19
On my Centura which has Google Maps 7.5.0, pressing the Satellite option on the menu toggles between satellite view and map view ....... seems like the ZTE Valet is different? Hopefully someone with a Valet will chime in on how to go between satellite and map view soon.
It works the same way on my Valet. When you touch the Menu button, you see a list of choices: traffic, Public transit, bicycling, satellite, google earth. You touch satellite to toggle it ON/OFF.

Dennis,
To set up a route, turn on Wifi or data, touch the two-headed arrow in the search box near the top of the screen. Then you can enter the From and To locations. It'll draw your route on the map. To start navigation, touch the blue arrowhead in the lower right corner. You might have to allow Google Services and the app to access your location info.
Thanks for everything I think with all of your help I have it figured out. I did not know you had to have the WI-FI or the data on to make a route. I have a route saved I think to a town about 1 hour from here and we are going there tomorrow so I will see what it does. So being a pain again does anyone know how to delete the old routes that are no longer needed? Again Thanks a lot !!! Dennis

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I moved this ZTE Valet chit chat here to this official topic, where it belongs, and it might help others.
* Ps: I saw at my Target stores that the ZTE Valet is on sale for $80 until the end of January 2014.

casinorose45
January 11 2014
charmedangelina
January 10, 2014, 11:17 pm
casinorose45
January 10, 2014, 8:20 pm
charmedangelina
January 7, 2014, 6:31 pm
Eddie_E
January 4, 2014, 1:21 pm
Has anybody seen the LG L39C in any chain store yet?

My ZTE Valet is dead already after 7 easy weeks of use. The screen just went black even though it's not scratched
or cracked in any way. Incoming calls ring, but the screen is dead.

I'm not sure if I even want to wait for an RMA through Tracfone, as the WiFi on my ZTE way below average anyways.
If I could get the LG Dye 2 I would, but I'd have to wait until next holidays. :D Have you tried something called
a hard reset? I think it is when you hold the power button and the volume up buttons at the same time, but it will
delete everything on the phone or something.

I have had issues with the phone as well until I turned the lock screen off. Now the screen looks very grainy and
dirty which I have tried to clean, but no luck. Hope you have more luck with the LG. :D
geeezzeee...thats not good.and i was going to get one.see what i mean..all the negatives coming out..wow..i guess you are the first one ive heard havin problems with the zte..now i don't know what to do..ha wonder a lot of times,is the area people are in thats bad..or the phone they got? i have a reliable seller on amazon and ebay ive got many phones from..never a bad one.we are in oregon..good verizon coverage..and good at&t too..so im gonna do some thinking on this..so sorry for your problems..good luck..right now im using the lg 840 and love it..
Everything has it's pros and it's cons lolz, but besides some of the issues I've had with the device I've been have a blast with it. For $99 this is a good buy and I'd recommend it to a friend. Just got the black tpu case for it and it is all shiny and glossy and awesome. Although if you have an extra $15 I'd try the new LG 39c. So far I have very happy with the Valet. :D
glad to hear you are ok with the valet.i found it now on ebay and amazon for 69.99..so getting it in about a week.i found some awesome faceplates for it on ebay and amazon.i always get the ones that have the rubberized back,so doesn't slip out of my hands.tks for updates..

daikyozin

I just saw a TracFone ad for this phone on the front page of the BBC website.

Edit: Oh, that's dumb of me. The BBC had nothing to do with it, the ad just followed me there.

tophat1

tophat1
January 11, 2014, 2:42 am
hpham
tfuser19

Dennis,
Thanks for everything I think with all of your help I have it figured out. I did not know you had to have the WI-FI or the data on to make a route. I have a route saved I think to a town about 1 hour from here and we are going there tomorrow so I will see what it does. So being a pain again does anyone know how to delete the old routes that are no longer needed? Again Thanks a lot !!! Dennis
We went out of town yesterday and I used the GPS on the way down ( Google Maps 2013 7.5 version ). It was about an hour drive and pretty straight with only one turn. Well I must have set it up wrong as it did not have voice direction and my 5 minute turn of on the display kept going dark. not good when you are trying to follow a map. That was the bad part. I redid it on the way back and I did it right as everything worked the way it should and the screen stayed on !!! HEY HEY!!. The only thing I'm not sure if I would use it in a big city as it only gave the turn once about a 1/4 mile. Not much time to make a lane change or anything on a 4 or 5 lane highway. I will have to try it again in a bigger city not like Chicago or anything that but bigger then 30,000. I also figured out to delete all the practice trys I had in there so all in all was a pretty good day. Thanks again to all that is helping me and I would almost guess I will have other questions. Dennis

hpham
Member Avatar

Now you know why I don't use Google Maps for GPS navigation. For the small cost of Co-Pilot Premium USA (currently $6.99), it's well worth it.

tfuser19

Dennis, Thanks for sharing GPS experience. Any idea how many units of data were used during trip?

hpham
Member Avatar

tfuser19
January 12, 2014, 11:25 pm
Any idea how many units of data were used during trip?
You can avoid using data if you download the map before your trip, provided you don't travel over a large area. You can do a search on "Google offline map" to see how it's done. On my Galaxy Tab, the Menu button gives an option for "Make available offline" to select the area that you want to save. On the Valet, while running the Google Map app, you do a search on "ok maps" and it'll save the map area you're viewing. What a strange procedure.

Anyhow, you can only save a small map area at a time. On my Galaxy Tab, you can save up to 6 areas and the app will stitch them together to create a larger map. I don't know if the app on the Valet can do the same thing.

tophat1

tfuser19
January 12, 2014, 11:25 pm
Dennis, Thanks for sharing GPS experience. Any idea how many units of data were used during trip?
As I'm new to smart phone I'm not sure how to tell how units I used. My balance was 290.? when we left and is now 289.8. I would say not much I had it on for just about 30 miles ( 30 minutes or so ) as I new the way and just wanted to see what it would do at the turn.

hpham; What is Co-Pilot Premium USA about? Where do I i find it? Does it work about the same as Google Maps? Is the cost a one time deal or is it a yearly cost? I'm just not real happy with the way Google Maps work. Thanks Dennis

hpham
Member Avatar

tophat1
January 13, 2014, 12:48 pm
hpham; What is Co-Pilot Premium USA about? Where do I i find it? Does it work about the same as Google Maps? Is the cost a one time deal or is it a yearly cost? I'm just not real happy with the way Google Maps work. Thanks Dennis
Co-Pilot Premium USA is a GPS navigation app, it's available on Google Play. It's currently sold for $6.99 (regular price $10). It's a one-time cost, and you can get map updates forever. It works similar to Google Maps but it's MUCH more user-friendly. You can download the offline maps by states or regions, not just a small area like with Google Maps. It gives audible turn-by-turn instructions much like a driving GPS from Garmin, Tom Tom, etc.

Let's say I want to take a driving trip from Topeka KS to New York City. I turn on Wifi, start Co-Pilot and select maps for the states along the route. The maps will be stored on the phone and they don't take much space. Once that done, I can turn off Wifi and won't need any kind of online access to maps during my trip. For the small cost, it's well worth it.

tophat1

hpham
January 13, 2014, 1:17 pm
tophat1
January 13, 2014, 12:48 pm
Co-Pilot Premium USA is a GPS navigation app, it's available on Google Play. It's currently sold for $6.99 (regular price $10). It's a one-time cost, and you can get map updates forever. It works similar to Google Maps but it's MUCH more user-friendly. You can download the offline maps by states or regions, not just a small area like with Google Maps. It gives audible turn-by-turn instructions much like a driving GPS from Garmin, Tom Tom, etc.

Let's say I want to take a driving trip from Topeka KS to New York City. I turn on Wifi, start Co-Pilot and select maps for the states along the route. The maps will be stored on the phone and they don't take much space. Once that done, I can turn off Wifi and won't need any kind of online access to maps during my trip. For the small cost, it's well worth it.
Thanks that sounds more like what I want. This maybe a dumb question but just how do you pay for it? Do you use a credit card, or does it some how come off your data minutes. I never paid for an app. so don't really know. Dennis

hpham
Member Avatar

tophat1
January 13, 2014, 7:04 pm
This maybe a dumb question but just how do you pay for it? Do you use a credit card, or does it some how come off your data minutes. I never paid for an app. so don't really know. Dennis
You pay for purchases on Google Play using the credit card that you have in your Google Wallet account. Do a search on "Google Wallet" and you can read all about it.

tophat1

hpham
January 13, 2014, 7:33 pm
tophat1
January 13, 2014, 7:04 pm
This maybe a dumb question but just how do you pay for it? Do you use a credit card, or does it some how come off your data minutes. I never paid for an app. so don't really know. Dennis
You pay for purchases on Google Play using the credit card that you have in your Google Wallet account. Do a search on "Google Wallet" and you can read all about it.
Thanks I will check it out. Dennis

Below

tophat1
January 12, 2014, 2:04 pm
tophat1
January 11, 2014, 2:42 am
hpham
tfuser19

Dennis,
We went out of town yesterday and I used the GPS on the way down ( Google Maps 2013 7.5 version ). It was about an hour drive and pretty straight with only one turn. Well I must have set it up wrong as it did not have voice direction and my 5 minute turn of on the display kept going dark. not good when you are trying to follow a map. That was the bad part. I redid it on the way back and I did it right as everything worked the way it should and the screen stayed on !!! HEY HEY!!. The only thing I'm not sure if I would use it in a big city as it only gave the turn once about a 1/4 mile. Not much time to make a lane change or anything on a 4 or 5 lane highway. I will have to try it again in a bigger city not like Chicago or anything that but bigger then 30,000. I also figured out to delete all the practice trys I had in there so all in all was a pretty good day. Thanks again to all that is helping me and I would almost guess I will have other questions. Dennis
Did you have bluetooth enabled? was your phone connected to your car? if so, the audio might be being routed to your car's speakers. I know on a third party app I had the option of changing the audio to phone only/bluetooth channel (so no radio)/or through the default phone option (I believe this would allow radio but then interrupt it).

casinorose45

I am getting the zte valet on 22nd. just read tons of reviews on it at other forums,and reviews..only saw 3 where people didn't like it.others love it.so will see..im understanding that when you download a app, the min.charge is about 3.0 for each mb? guy said depends how large app is to what they charge.one i want is 4.6m..not sure how much that will charge for min.on valet.

casinorose45

casinorose45
January 14, 2014, 11:21 pm
I am getting the zte valet on 22nd. just read tons of reviews on it at other forums,and reviews..only saw 3 where people didn't like it.others love it.so will see..im understanding that when you download a app, the min.charge is about 3.0 for each mb? guy said depends how large app is to what they charge.one i want is 4.6m..not sure how much that will charge for min.on valet.
the zte valet is on ebay for 4 diff.prices.one is 69.99 no min. 79.99 with 600 min. 109.99 with 1350 min. and 129.99 with 1200 min..shopcelldeals..they are great to deal with.bought several phones from them on ebay over the years.

hpham
Member Avatar

casinorose45
January 14, 2014, 11:21 pm
im understanding that when you download a app, the min.charge is about 3.0 for each mb? guy said depends how large app is to what they charge.one i want is 4.6m..not sure how much that will charge for min.on valet.
Turn off data and download your apps using Wifi at no charge. If you HAVE TO use data because you have no Wifi, the data usage is deducted from your data bucket, not the talk minutes. If the app is 4.6Mb, then about 4.6Mb will be deducted, not minutes. Talk minutes, text units, and data Mb are in separate buckets and not interchangeable.

callmycat

Hello.
I have been reading the posts on the board for a while now, starting back with my LG800g phone. I love this place. I got my ZTE
Valet phone about 2 weeks ago and today I had to do a factory reset. Now I'm back up and running better then ever. My eyes are swollen from all the reading and learning but I'm ok,lol.
I really need to learn to quit going into the phone so deep and changing things and on the google site.
I would like to know if I need the app LOG OFF? Also, is it a good idea to get the AVG antivirus app?

phoenix1
Member Avatar

callmycat
January 15, 2014, 5:49 pm
Hello. I have been reading the posts on the board for a while now, starting back with my LG800g phone. I love this place. I got my ZTE
Valet phone about 2 weeks ago and today I had to do a factory reset. Now I'm back up and running better then ever. My eyes are swollen from all the reading and learning but I'm ok,lol.
I really need to learn to quit going into the phone so deep and changing things and on the google site.
I would like to know if I need the app LOG OFF? Also, is it a good idea to get the AVG antivirus app?
Hi, welcome :D

I'm not sure about the Log Off app, but I have downloaded Avast for my anti-virus...it's the same one I use on my PC and it's saved me quite a few times. I also have it on both of my tablets.

You may want to check out a different launcher while you're adding things (it's so much fun playing with a new toy ;) ) I use the Nova launcher, you can really customize home screens and it helps to make things run smoother. Here's a link to a good YouTube video that gives you a nice guide. I use the free version and it works great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0yIMEkRnf0

callmycat

Thank you phoenix1.
That is why my eyes are swollen.....I will now look up what a launcher is. That is my problem I have to learn the lingo and go from there.
I will watch the video, thank goodness for this board and YouTube.

callmycat

phoenix1,
I watched the video, I love Nova and what it can do. I must say that it may be a while till I feel confident enough to change stuff and not be scared of another factory reset in my future. I'll get there!. I know I'll have more questions for the board soon. Thanks so much!

bummpr
Member Avatar

callmycat
January 15, 2014, 5:49 pm
Hello.
I have been reading the posts on the board for a while now, starting back with my LG800g phone. I love this place. I got my ZTE
Valet phone about 2 weeks ago and today I had to do a factory reset.
I may have to do a factory reset...please tell me how you did this and what steps did you have to do to get your reset phone back to functioning. Did you have to re-authorize your phone? Did you need to use any help from customer support?

Thanks!

tfuser19

bummpr,
A factory reset will put your phone back to the state it was in when you took it out of the box. Check the User's Guide on how to do it - see post #1 for .pdf link and search for factory. You will have to reinstall all your apps.

hpham
Member Avatar

bummpr
January 16, 2014, 12:23 pm
I may have to do a factory reset...
Why do you think you need to do a factory reset? If the screen doesn't come on, or the power button is not waking it up, try a "soft reset" by removing the battery (with the phone on if possible) and re-installing the battery. A factory reset may wipe out all the settings in your phone and you may need to re-activate it.

tfuser19

hpham
January 16, 2014, 2:25 pm
bummpr
January 16, 2014, 12:23 pm
I may have to do a factory reset...
Why do you think you need to do a factory reset? If the screen doesn't come on, or the power button is not waking it up, try a "soft reset" by removing the battery (with the phone on if possible) and re-installing the battery. A factory reset may wipe out all the settings in your phone and you may need to re-activate it.
A factory reset will not affect the ability to use the phone to make calls ...... it will not put your phone in the state of requiring reactivation.

Below

A factory reset WILL wipe out all the settings, not maybe.

hpham
Member Avatar

tfuser19
January 16, 2014, 4:24 pm
A factory reset will not affect the ability to use the phone to make calls ...... it will not put your phone in the state of requiring reactivation.
My thinking is that at activation you dialed a special number *????? and something was sent to the phone so it knows its phone number. If a factory reset sets EVERYTHING back to factory values, then it'll lose that information. But, who knows, you could be right.

callmycat

When I did the factory reset It just took the phone back to like it was when I unpacked it.
It did not undo the service I have with Tracfone. I have to start the account set up stuff again with Google. I had to reinstall several apps that I lost. I have 2 apps that are on my SD card and they are still there. It fixed everything. I have taken the battery out since then to correct a frozen page.

tfuser19

hpham,
I have to admit, saying a "factory data reset" puts the phone back to its out-the-box state is a bit misleading because it does not undo the phone number or deactivate the phone as callmycat confirmed.

I think we can safely say it does delete all the apps/data, contacts, and other personal info stored on the phone and the internal SD storage (not external microSD that came with the card or we installed).

I agree that doing a "factory data reset" should be done as a last resort to solving a problem.

bummpr
Member Avatar

tfuser19 is exactly right! No need to speculate...my reset of course wiped out all apps and settings (as I intended). If in fact it did wipe out the phone number, the phone number was quickly restored as I set up my Google account and other core device settings.

I updated the PRL list, the phone rebooted. But no ability to make a call or send a text. This was not my experience when I first got the phone...I did an online activation and the phone was immediately available.

I called the infamous customer (dis)service number and immediately got into a game of "what", "please repeat", and "sorry, what did you say". After doing a series of restart the phone, pull the battery and other nonsense steps, I was instructed to wait an hour.

Well, 4 hours later, nothing has changed other than I got all my apps downloaded and other settings established. Maybe something magical will happen overnight! If not, I guess I'm back on the phone to tech support.

tfuser19

bummpr,
Surprised to read that you cannot make calls or send texts after factory data reset. Confirm phone is not in airplane mode and dial *22890 again.

What led to doing the reset?

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.