Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: .... Are you ready for some Football?!! .... the NFL starts up this week .... are you a fan of the NFL?
Yes / can't wait! / I am a fan of the NFL.
No / don't care / I am not a fan of the NFL.
Poll Maker
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Tracfone) ZTE Valet (Z665C) Phone Topic
Topic Started: September 26, 2013, 5:18 pm (64,919 Views)
Joeb84

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts, or questions on this phone, please post it all here ... thanks.

* Attention Turkamaniacs: Tracfone Promotion Codes do not work with the new Tracfone Android Phones.

* Tracfone ZTE Valet Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?custId=TFZEZ665C

* Located in the Topics Forum: Tracfone/Net10 - Apps for Androids - we discuss different apps for android devices.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering if any of you would be interested in starting a separate section to post useful or fun apps for our phone.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tfuser19

Joeb84
October 22, 2013, 12:04 pm
I was wondering if any of you would be interested in starting a separate section to post useful or fun apps for our phone.
@Joeb84,
These apps you write of would mostly be common to all Android Tracfones.

ShadowDancer must have read your mind, cause the Tracfone/Net10 - Apps for Androids thread has been created. :)

Joeb84

Oh that's great. I will have to check it out. :D

Lipcrkr

Does anyone know of another way to get your current balance?.. I used to do it on the phone website but that's
messed up. I tried doing what tfuser said but I don't get follow up message to continue. I called Bangladesh and
in broken English he couldn't understand why I couldn't get my balance on the website like I did before...
There must be another way besides the Tracfone website.

Lipcrkr

OK, this is weird. Why does the phone say a different # than my phone #? I entered the # on the phone and it
shows my balance. But the # is not my phone #. Is the Tracfone # different than my actual phone #?

Sorry, I just realized the number on my phone SHOULD be different than my actual phone #.. My balance does
come up.... although I lost many minutes and data when I had to return the phone to BB even though I replaced
it with the same model.

tfuser19

@Lipcrkr,
Your last two posts are missing so many details that they barely make any sense to me - especially the part
about phone number being different. You enter the phone # of the Android Tracfone that you want the balance
for - there only one phone # assigned to your phone.

I just tried getting my balance from a PC web browser and it worked using:

"https://www.tracfone.com/direct/CheckBalance?input_phone=<10-digit[/url] phone #>" You do need to know
the last 4 digits of your IMEI # to use this link. You can also log into tracfone.com and find you balance if you
registered your phone - and in that case you don't need to enter any digits - but that's too much work for me. :)

Sometimes the Tracfone widget does not work - and it that case I like using the above link to get immediate
confirmation -- of course sometimes the link does not work because Tracfone's servers are down or being
maintained ???

Lipcrkr

tfuser,
I have 2 phone numbers assigned to my phone, one # for when I receive calls, make calls, etc, and # for getting my
balance on Tracfone website... I didn't realize that when it said to input my phone # it meant my Tracfone #, not the
phone number I use to do my regular stuff on.

tfuser19

Lipcrkr,

Your Google Voice number is unrelated to any Tracfone transactions as you figured out.

the Wizard
Member Avatar

The Tracfone app that I downloaded from the Google Play Store works fine for me, at least so far anyway.

Joeb84

Works for me, too.

tfuser19

Turk
October 15, 2013, 2:25 am
* The phone's Wifi connected to my home router easily, and got great Wifi reception, but, only close to the router!?
* Wifi reception on this phone is weak I feel - it works fine close to the router, but when I go beyond about 15 feet,
* I lose reception? (The man in the youtube video said the same thing about the Wifi being weak).
* The Huawei had good Wifi reception everywhere, even when I went outside my home into the yard.
* (Verdict: Wifi reception goes to the Huawei)
Is anyone else experiencing WiFi issues with the ZTE like Turk and the YouTube video guy mentioned?

I just read on another forum "The wifi on the Valet is spotty. ......" + "My son's phone doesn't get as strong of
a Wifi signal & it loses connection more often than mine"

baltobabe

HI!
New here and thought I had posted but now cant find it. Got my Tracfone ZTE Valet and am overloaded already! LOL!
I'm not so tech savy so here is my first question.

In my contact list there are over 3000 contacts! OMG...who are all those people and where did they come from?
I must have hit auto something or other.. How can I delete / get rid of all those folks? .. I just want my kids and a
few friends on there.

Many Thanks for any and all insights!
Thanks
mt

the Wizard
Member Avatar

Hi All,

This afternoon I had a strange experience with my Valet and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. I was looking through my Gmail Inbox, opening some messages to read or delete them and just scrolling through the list of email messages. All of a sudden the device became very slow on opening messages and the scrolling was like a crawl. It was really frustrating and I was wondering if I had another defective phone but after two or three minutes everything was fine and I was zipping through the messages with no problem. Anyone else have this happen?

tfuser19

@the Wizard,
My Centura can get laggy at times too - similar to what you experienced.

Have you ever had this or your other phone you returned (ZTE???) lock up to where you had to turn it off and back on to recover? That's a real delight and has happened to my Centura several times - but I do have it loaded down with apps pretty heavily :P .

tfuser19

baltobabe
October 24, 2013, 7:47 pm
HI!
New here and thought I had posted but now cant find it. Got my Tracfone ZTE Valet and am overloaded already! LOL!

In my contact list there are over 3000 contacts! OMG...who are all those people and where did they come from?
I must have hit auto something or other.. How can I delete / get rid of all those folks? .. I just want my kids and a
few friends on there.

Thanks
mt
@baltobabe,

Did you import those contacts from your google account?

It's much easier to use your PC to do major contact cleanup, then sync your phone with the edits you made on your PC, so use you PC to see how your address book looks on https://www.google.com/contacts/#contacts .

Did you import contacts from multiple google accounts or other sources like Yahoo! ? That could be a contributing factor to what you're seeing.

the Wizard
Member Avatar

tfuser19,

OK, good to know that I'm not the only one to experience this. Hopefully, it won't be a regular occurrence. :) No, so far I've never had an Android device lock up on me. I have an Android tablet, too, and so far no problems like that. That phone that I returned was the Huawei Glory. Nice little phone but defective. I debated just getting another unit but the fact that it had only Android 4.01 caused me to go with the Valet with 4.1. Lots of nice stuff in 4.1 that earlier versions are missing.

If I have time to night I plan to download and install the Nova Launcher. I've read some good reports about it on Youtube. I've seen some negative comments about the Wi-Fi in the Valet but so far I'm satisfied with the Wi-Fi performance. I can go out of my house, get in my car and make a phone call using WiFi, so that seems OK to me. At that point I'm close to 30 feet from the router, possibly more.

baltobabe

tfuser19
October 24, 2013, 9:41 pm
baltobabe
October 24, 2013, 7:47 pm
HI!

few friends on there.

Thanks
mt
@baltobabe,

Did you import those contacts from your google account?

It's much easier to use your PC to do major contact cleanup, then sync your phone with the edits you made on your PC, so use you PC to see how your address book looks on https://www.google.com/contacts/#contacts .

Did you import contacts from multiple google accounts or other sources like Yahoo! ? That could be a contributing factor to what you're seeing.
Thanks for getting back to me tfuser19, I appreciate it! I'm not sure how I got to that point. I did find out how to do "multiple delete" and as I was watching tv tonight I get rid of most of those 3000!

my 2nd issue is ... connection / reception in my area. Its always be crappy in my area and tonight was no different. I've tried a few times going to the front of the house and opening the front door with no luck...its a little too cold here in "B'more" for me to go sit on the steps. That will have to wait until the morning. This glitch is not tracfone or ZTE related its covers every cell phone I've ever had and for everyone I know in the "HOOD" here!

baltobabe

Learning Curve number 3 for me. Trying to wrap my head around the New Android World I'm entering... So I had 3,000 minutes on my old phone and 52 days of service. The ZTE Valet that I bought from ShopCellDeals on ebay that included the 600 minute and 90 days AND Triple Minutes I've ported the phone earlier and now I have 3600 on each Minutes, Text and Data. And my new end date is going to be March 18th 2014.

So I'm guessing I will in March have to purchase another card to get TIME/ Days on the phone in order to keep using it. And it looks like the choices for 1 year run between $99 and 199 depending on the choice of minutes included. I'm thinking since I have already 3000 minutes that the $99 choice would be the most economical for me to go for.

Any thoughts or advice on this one? I've been used to buying my tracfones from either QVC or HSN that normally included a 1 years worth of service and a bunch of minutes. But with this new world of "Minutes + Text + Data" has got me scratching my head!

Tarkio101

You have several options. You could do the $99 for a year. Or, if you didn't want to shell out for an entire years worth of additional time at once, you could purchase the 9.99 cards online and get an additional 30 minutes each month. Or, you can pay 5.99 for the Service Protection Plan that comes with no minutes, and would give you an additional 30 days service.

The Service Protection Plan is something you enroll in, and it only charges if necessary. For example, if you got a good deal on some minutes and ended up pushing your date back a few months, you would stay enrolled in the plan, and it would only charge if your when your "expiration" date came.

Another option, is the 9.99 autofill plan, that gives you 50 minutes (tripled of course) every thirty days. That plan would give you more minutes than buying the lowest end card, and would refill every month automatically so you wouldn't have to worry about watching your date and buying cards to keep things active. So, assuming your are using more than 150 minutes per month, you could keep your service active hassle free, while working on using up some of your big pool of minutes.

baltobabe

Good Morning! Am not able to call or receive calls from my new phone. GRRR. Not sure what I have done wrong. The most bars I'm getting at home is 2. So I decided to try and call my phone from my home phone and only got 3 beeps no rings and then silence.

Any insights and thoughts will be so very welcome. Feeling frustrated! Thanks!

tfuser19

baltobabe,
- try making a call from your cell phone
- verify not in airplane mode, then try call again
- dial *22890
- ask someone you know with Verizon service if their phone is working.

baltobabe

tfuser19
October 25, 2013, 10:46 am
baltobabe,
- try making a call from your cell phone
- verify not in airplane mode, then try call again
- dial *22890
- ask someone you know with Verizon service if their phone is working.
WHEW! I feel like I have just given BIRTH to a new Baby! LOL! Thanks everyone for the great replies!

I finally called Tracfone and after 3 reps and about 2 hours I'm up and running able to make and receive calls! YIPPEE!

Life is now good in my land and I think it will be an easier ride on the "Learning Curve" 4 SURE!

Thanks again for all the great info!

mt

tfuser19

baltobabe,
Not gonna share any details? What was the problem? How was it fixed?

baltobabe

tfuser19
October 25, 2013, 11:45 am
baltobabe,
Not gonna share any details? What was the problem? How was it fixed?
Not sure what the details are that finally did it! I had 2 other reps before April who walked me through the exact steps. I live in an area that can be sketchy sometimes so perhaps timing and going through the rebooting and turning the phone off at one point and taking the battery out and then starting all over again is what did it. I guess I will never know for sure. But whatever the reason...its working! And for me its all Mojo Magic! So happy its working!

cdog

the Wizard
October 24, 2013, 9:30 pm
This afternoon I had a strange experience with my Valet and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. I was looking through my Gmail Inbox, opening some messages to read or delete them and just scrolling through the list of email messages. All of a sudden the device became very slow on opening messages and the scrolling was like a crawl. It was really frustrating and I was wondering if I had another defective phone but after two or three minutes everything was fine and I was zipping through the messages with no problem. Anyone else have this happen?
Late yesterday afternoon Google was having major problems with Sync for at least an hour. At first I thought it was my phone (ZTE Valet) but found out it was happening to everyone on Gmail on Android at that time.

tfuser19

cdog
October 25, 2013, 1:04 pm
Late yesterday afternoon Google was having major problems with Sync for at least an hour. At first I thought it was my phone (ZTE Valet) but found out it was happening to everyone on Gmail on Android at that time.
@cdog,
How did you find out? Website?

cdog

tfuser19
October 25, 2013, 2:08 pm
cdog
October 25, 2013, 1:04 pm
@cdog,
How did you find out? Website?
@tfuser19,
Yes, luckily I found this first: http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/voice/eNw_RpyjFtE
And then this: http://www.androidcentral.com/it-s-not-just-you-google-s-servers-seeing-sync-struggles

For a few minutes I couldn't figure out what was going on and kept restarting the phone and trying again....everything was just erratic and hanging, with some new messages coming through to Google Voice and Gmail and others missing.

tfuser19

@cdog,
Thanks for the links ...... seems like we need a generic Android thread on this forum now to post this sort of info that applies to all the Androids.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

baltobabe
October 25, 2013, 12:55 am
Learning Curve number 3 for me. Trying to wrap my head around the New Android World I'm entering... So I had 3,000 minutes on my old phone and 52 days of service. The ZTE Valet that I bought from ShopCellDeals on ebay that included the 600 minute and 90 days AND Triple Minutes I've ported the phone earlier and now I have 3600 on each Minutes, Text and Data. And my new end date is going to be March 18th 2014.

So I'm guessing I will in March have to purchase another card to get TIME/ Days on the phone in order to keep using it. And it looks like the choices for 1 year run between $99 and 199 depending on the choice of minutes included. I'm thinking since I have already 3000 minutes that the $99 choice would be the most economical for me to go for.

Any thoughts or advice on this one? I've been used to buying my tracfones from either QVC or HSN that normally included a 1 years worth of service and a bunch of minutes. But with this new world of "Minutes + Text + Data" has got me scratching my head!

Hi Baltobabe and welcome . . .

If you decide to buy a one-year Tracfone Airtime card, remember that you can buy discounted Airtime cards on eBay. I believe you said that you bought your phone through ShopCellDeals, and he has been selling the one-year card on eBay for about $85.00. So, if you buy Airtime cards through him rather than at Wal-Mart, or Tracfone’s website, that will save you some money. A number of us buy our Airtime cards through him, and he has always been reliable.

If, however, you need just Service Days because you have so many minutes, here’s another option to explore, in addition to what Tarkio101 suggested. . . . I have not tried this myself yet, but it is posted in another thread on this Forum. That is, if you buy an Airtime card directly from the Tracfone website, before you check out, you are offered additional options. One of those options is apparently an offer for you to buy 365 Service Days for $50.00.

So, for example, if you would buy one 30-minute Airtime card for $10.00, as you check out, you should be offered the opportunity to buy 365 Service Days for $50.00. Consequently, you would end up with 30 minutes (tripled for your phone) plus 365 Service Days for $60.00.

So, along with Tarkio101's good suggestions, this is just another option to consider.

Hope this helps . . .

ShadowDancer :)

Lipcrkr

Does anyone know if you can increase the home screen for a few seconds longer?

I have had this on other phones but as yet I don't see that option on the Valet.

baltobabe

ShadowDancer
October 25, 2013, 3:55 pm
baltobabe
October 25, 2013, 12:55 am

Hi Baltobabe and welcome . . .

If you decide to buy a one-year Tracfone Airtime card, remember that you can buy discounted Airtime cards on eBay. I believe you said that you bought your phone through ShopCellDeals, and he has been selling the one-year card on eBay for about $85.00. So, if you buy Airtime cards through him rather than at Wal-Mart, or Tracfone’s website, that will save you some money. A number of us buy our Airtime cards through him, and he has always been reliable.

If, however, you need just Service Days because you have so many minutes, here’s another option to explore, in addition to what Tarkio101 suggested. . . . I have not tried this myself yet, but it is posted in another thread on this Forum. That is, if you buy an Airtime card directly from the Tracfone website, before you check out, you are offered additional options. One of those options is apparently an offer for you to buy 365 Service Days for $50.00.

So, for example, if you would buy one 30-minute Airtime card for $10.00, as you check out, you should be offered the opportunity to buy 365 Service Days for $50.00. Consequently, you would end up with 30 minutes (tripled for your phone) plus 365 Service Days for $60.00.

So, along with Tarkio101's good suggestions, this is just another option to consider.

Hope this helps . . .

ShadowDancer, thanks for that great advice! Much Appreciated!
Each day is getting better and better with the new phone! Finding this forum and all you nice folks sure has helped!

Thanks All!

sweetiepoosmom

Did I miss a post?
Was anyone talking about HSN offering this phone for $99.95/free shipping, the 600 minutes of talk, text and data deal and several apps -- today only?

:(

Hold on: HSN says the Model Number is Z655C

I wonder if HSN made a "typo" in the Model Number of this phone.

jvold

Something to think about with the ZTE Valet through tracfone. In the past I have bought a 200 minute card every 3 months. I get triple minutes and usually a 30 minute promotional code, making my minutes 630. I do a lot of texting, so if I wanted to, I could use these minutes for text only. With all of my past phones 1 text is 0.30 minutes. That means that I could get 1,890 texts for the 3 month period with any of my old tracfones. With the ZTE Valet you get 1 text per minute. Now, with the ZTE Valet if I buy a 200 minute card I will get 600 minutes and no promotional minutes. With the ZTE Valet my 600 minutes get divided into 3 categories, thus giving me 200 minutes for calling, 200 minutes for texting and 200 minutes for data. Since I mostly text, 200 minutes of texting won't go far for 3 months compared to 1,890 minutes of texting on my old tracfones. I think I'll keep my old tracfone activated. The android has some good features, but if I'm going to have to add several more cards for a 3 month period, I may as well buy an unlimited calling and text plan and save money in the long run.

Tarkio101

Jvold, you are correct. However, you may consider using one of the free texting apps available on android. You would use a tiny bit of data per text, but it would be free on wifi. There are several of the apps available, and most of them have well 100 million downloads, so they are pretty popular. Just a thought.

Lipcrkr

jvold
October 27, 2013, 1:58 am
Something to think about with the ZTE Valet through tracfone. In the past I have bought a 200 minute card every 3 months. I get triple minutes and usually a 30 minute promotional code, making my minutes 630. I do a lot of texting, so if I wanted to, I could use these minutes for text only. With all of my past phones 1 text is 0.30 minutes. That means that I could get 1,890 texts for the 3 month period with any of my old tracfones. With the ZTE Valet you get 1 text per minute. Now, with the ZTE Valet if I buy a 200 minute card I will get 600 minutes and no promotional minutes. With the ZTE Valet my 600 minutes get divided into 3 categories, thus giving me 200 minutes for calling, 200 minutes for texting and 200 minutes for data. Since I mostly text, 200 minutes of texting won't go far for 3 months compared to 1,890 minutes of texting on my old tracfones. I think I'll keep my old tracfone activated. The android has some good features, but if I'm going to have to add several more cards for a 3 month period, I may as well buy an unlimited calling and text plan and save money in the long run.
jvold, i'd give you mine if it was possible, i simply never text. I have over 200 minutes for texting that i will never need.

annepani

Tarkio101
October 27, 2013, 2:09 am
Jvold, you are correct. However, you may consider using one of the free texting apps available on android. You would use a tiny bit of data per text, but it would be free on wifi. There are several of the apps available, and most of them have well 100 million downloads, so they are pretty popular. Just a thought.

Tarkio101

Did you add these to the list of apps that are being collected in the thread dedicated to this topic?

And I think you are correct about taking this approach -- moving on to the Android way of doing things. That is the whole point of getting an Android. Don't retreat back to the old way. Get more out of your phone for less.

annepani

jvold
@jvoid

Your comments apply to all Tracfone Androids, not just the ZTE Valet because the charges are built into the Tracfone pricing structure. Your comments are well thought out and belong in the Topics Forum as a discussion that applies to all Androids -- and maybe Turk's Tracfone Blackberry that we are all going to help him get.

And there are many MVNOs that offer unlimited talk and text for $15 - $20/month and are BYOD so you have a much better selection of phones to choose from. Maybe you should be looking into those.

annepani

jvold
In the past I have bought a 200 minute card every 3 months. I get triple minutes and usually a 30 minute promotional code, making my minutes 630. I do a lot of texting, so if I wanted to, I could use these minutes for text only. With all of my past phones 1 text is 0.30 minutes. That means that I could get 1,890 texts for the 3 month period with any of my old tracfones. With the Androids ... if I buy a 200 minute card I will get 600 minutes and no promotional minutes. ... my 600 minutes get divided into 3 categories, thus giving me 200 minutes for calling, 200 minutes for texting and 200 minutes for data.
I think your understanding of the triple triple feature is incorrect. On an Android if you buy a 200 minute card, or any denomination for that matter, your minutes get tripled and then that amount is deposited into each of the 3 buckets. That is the triple triple feature of Androids.

So if you buy a 200 minute card you DO NOT get
200 minutes => triples to 600 minutes => deposited as 200 voice/ 200 text/ 200MB data (90 days)

You DO get
200 minutes => triples to 600 minutes => deposited as 600 voice/ 600 text/ 600MB data (90 days)

I am not saying that 600 texts for 90 days should be enough. I am saying that you seem to misunderstand how the triple feature works.

jvold

annepani
October 27, 2013, 8:24 am
jvold
In the past I have bought a 200 minute card every 3 months. I get triple minutes and usually a 30 minute promotional code, making my minutes 630. I do a lot of texting, so if I wanted to, I could use these minutes for text only. With all of my past phones 1 text is 0.30 minutes. That means that I could get 1,890 texts for the 3 month period with any of my old tracfones. With the Androids ... if I buy a 200 minute card I will get 600 minutes and no promotional minutes. ... my 600 minutes get divided into 3 categories, thus giving me 200 minutes for calling, 200 minutes for texting and 200 minutes for data.
I think your understanding of the triple triple feature is incorrect. On an Android if you buy a 200 minute card, or any denomination for that matter, your minutes get tripled and then that amount is deposited into each of the 3 buckets. That is the triple triple feature of Androids.

So if you buy a 200 minute card you DO NOT get
200 minutes => triples to 600 minutes => deposited as 200 voice/ 200 text/ 200MB data (90 days)

You DO get
200 minutes => triples to 600 minutes => deposited as 600 voice/ 600 text/ 600MB data (90 days)

I am not saying that 600 texts for 90 days should be enough. I am saying that you seem to misunderstand how the triple feature works.

That's not the way I understood it, but after you corrected me, I looked at the details for my phone on tracfone's website and figured out that you are right. If you hadn't pointed that out, I don't think I would have figured it out. It came across to me as just being triple minutes. Also, Tarkio 101 gave helpful information about downloading a free texting app for android. Turk Forums is very helpful for answering these questions. Thanks!

jima

I have had a lg 800g for a couple of years and I recognize some of the names here from the forum in the past.

The question I have is would this zte work as a good replacement for the lg800 in regards to just the phone use, reception etc.

If I understand properly, if the data and text is not used, it does not drag down the phone minutes in any way. And if Say you ran out of data, or texts, could you just go on using the phone for calls only? How would the phone respond to texts, and attempts at data use in this instance?

I am trying to figure out if I want to stay with the Lg 800, go with the 840 for it's current low price, or upgrade to zte when the time comes.

I mainly would use the phone for calls only but it would be nice to have some basic
Android features like maps, and maybe some wifi.

runner

Lipcrkr: Do you mean how to increase the timeout on your display? If so, go to settings, display, and check the appropriate time. This is one of the first things I have to do as I don't like the default 15 seconds.

jima: The new Android phones all have a separate tank system: when you use up your talk minutes, you're still able to text or use data providing you haven't exhausted text and/or data. If you use all your text, you have to purchase another card in order to text as you cannot "borrow" minutes from talk or data. I had LG 800 (which I did not like) and LG 840 (also did not like). With the new Android phone, you will be charged for every text sent and received whether you open them or not. I like the new Android system because my talk minutes won't be depleted because I accidently went on the browser like I did with LG 840. LG 840 is definitely a big step up from LG 800. The deail that HSN is having: LG 840 1500 minutes for 69.99 is excellent. If you're happy with LG 800, you'll be more than happy with the LG 840 and you can't buy the minutes for that price.

jima

Thanks runner,
If you ran out of texts or data could you just leave them empty until you needed to add more talk minutes?

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

@jima --

My understanding is first, you need to have Service Days so that your phone is active, and second, you need
to have Minutes. . . . So, even though your Text tank may read 0, and your Data tank may read 0, you should
still be able to make phone calls -- as long as you have Service Days and Minutes.

annepani

jima
October 27, 2013, 8:03 pm
Thanks runner,
If you ran out of texts or data could you just leave them empty until you needed to add more talk minutes?
Hi jima. annepani here. Actually you should have posted this question in the Topics Forum, not here, because it is not phone-specific. It applies to all the Androids. But here goes.

Yes, you can leave some buckets empty until you refill if you are not going to use those features.

But there are things that we don't fully understand yet. For instance, supposedly texts get charged when they are received, not when you open them. They are charged whether you open them or not and even if you delete them without opening them. So what happens if you don't have any text minutes and a text comes in? Does the sender get a reject message? Is it held until you add minutes?

There are things we have to learn as we get more experience with the Androids.

Maybe Turk will move this post to the Topics Forum so everyone will see it, not just those who own the ZTE.

Lipcrkr

Thanks runner, I never realized "Sleep" meant the home screen duration, I though it meant like a "doze" alarm, I never bothered to touch it.

Tech
Member Avatar

Lipcrkr
October 21, 2013, 7:50 pm
...I spent lots of money on my 55" HDTV and my Computer to hookup together...
You can probably link up the phone to your tv too. Try it and see. No particular purpose, I don't think, but could probably do it.

Lipcrkr

I have connected my PC to the phone to download pics/videos to watch on my TV. But since my phone doesn't have a HDMI connection, that's as far as i can go.

gustafus

Just got a ZTE including a 200 minute card from the shopcelldeals Ebay store. Since promo codes don't apply to the Android phones, I added the card to my LG800G along with a 40 minute promo code to get 640 minutes on the LG. Then I activated my ZTE Valet moving over everything from my now deactivated LG800G resulting in 640 minutes/640 texts/640 Mb data on the ZTE. :).
I used Wi-Fi to get the free Norton Mobile Security app from Google Play, and it works great.
I increased my display sleep time to 5 minutes because the phone display was going to sleep every 15 seconds. Tap on the Settings icon and then tap on Display to change the sleep time.
The phone's Wi-Fi range is 40 feet from my "n" router and just far enough to cover the entire inside of my house but will NOT connect once I go outside. Maybe an extended antennae could be added to the phone?
Still, I love this ZTE phone, a MONSTER step up from the LG800G.
$30 more for a Samsung Centura is ridiculous with its older Android 4.0, no camera flash, no included SD Card, and slower processor. The ZTE Valet is THE phone to get, period.
I've ordered a "Mesh-knit" combination stylus/ball point pen(Google it) because my fingers are so big that a stylus will be a big help on the small screen, a conductive metal "Mesh-knit" stylus tip because the ZTE screen is a "capacitive" type. I already have a special conductive rubber tip stylus that is better than my finger but is NOT as smooth and accurate as a "Mesh-knit" stylus tip will be.

tfuser19

@gusgilbert,
Some of us were lucky enough to get our Centuras for $130 from hsn.com which included a $25 Google Play card, protector cover, a car charger, and the ability to return an activated phone if we did not like it.

That wimpy $5 4GB microSD would not last me very long, so it's basically worthless - my 16GB is almost half-full. I'm using Clock Sync app to deal with keeping the Centura clock bug in check.

I'd rather have strong WiFi performance than a camera flash - as I'm using WiFi much more than I'll ever need a flash.

I've never laid hands on the ZTE, but I'm sure it's a nice phone - so hope you enjoy it :) .

Lipcrkr

I need help. How do i get my phone icons and contacts back? I've tried everything. I have no way of calling.

baltobabe

Hi there! Into a new week and still learning my way around the ZTE. My question is voicemail. How do I set it up?
I'm clueless so thanks for any and all help you can give me.

tfuser19

baltobabe,
See post 1- tutorial - messaging - voicemail.

runner

Lipcrkr: Do you mean you removed it from home screen or is the phone/contact nowhere to be found on your phone? If you mean the former, just find the app on your other screen and press til it buzzes and move to desired screen. Or maybe try factory reset? Or better yet, go to Tracfone support forum and post there; they should be able to get that back for you.

baltobabe: to program your voice mail, press "1" on you keypad till you get your instructions. If it asks for your password, it's usually your last 4 digits of your phone#. If that doesn't work, press *86. If neither of this works, I would go to support forum on Tracfone website for assistance; just post your issue and someone will respond.

tfuser19

runner
October 29, 2013, 4:18 pm
Lipcrkr: Do you mean you removed it from home screen or is the phone/contact nowhere to be found on your phone? If you mean the former, just find the app on your other screen and press til it buzzes and move to desired screen. Or maybe try factory reset? Or better yet, go to Tracfone support forum and post there; they should be able to get that back for you.
I would not do a factory reset, that's way too drastic and totally unnecessary in this case. A lot like being told to reload the application instead of figuring out a setting.

Lipcrkr

tfuser19
October 29, 2013, 4:27 pm
runner
October 29, 2013, 4:18 pm
I would not do a factory reset, that's way too drastic and totally unnecessary in this case. A lot like being told to reload the application instead of figuring out a setting.
My phone icon, contacts icon, g-mail and browser icon used to be at the bottom of my screen. But it somehow disappeared. I e-mailed Tracfone and they said to call them back, i can't call them back or anyone else, there's nothing to to call back on.
I've tried every screen, every setting, but nothing. The only icon for the phone and contacts is in the APPS section. I press it and it says "disable" and "force stop", but nothing. I would clear data and cache but will that affect my phone #? If i restore to defaults will that make it back to normal like it used to be? As long as i have my same # i don't mind redoing my contacts, my main goal is being able call someone like a normal human being.

tfuser19

@Lipcrkr,

Did you try what runner suggested? From the home screen, press the the circle icon with 6 dots above the home key. Now find the screen with the phone icon and hold down on the icon, then drag it to the bottom row where it is missing from. Repeat the same for the people/contacts and gmail icons if necessary.

You don't need to chop the arm of because the hand itches. :)

Lipcrkr

tfuser19
October 29, 2013, 6:39 pm
@Lipcrkr,

Did you try what runner suggested? From the home screen, press the the circle icon with 6 dots above the home key. Now find the screen with the phone icon and hold down on the icon, then drag it to the bottom row where it is missing from. Repeat the same for the people/contacts and gmail icons if necessary.

You don't need to chop the arm of because the hand itches :) .
I have the screen and it says browser, phone, g-mail, people. There's an X in each circle. But when i press it goes back to saying "none".
The only circle that doesn't have an "X" is "sound"

runner

Lipcrkr: I know what you're talking about now - when I was trying on the ZTE, I was trying to "program" the shortcuts or whatever that was called but each time I thought I did it and after I touched it it would delete it but you still have them. Just know that you can still make calls and your contacts are still there as long as you see the app. I didn't bother looking at the user's manual online because I already knew that I liked the Centura for my purpose better than the ZTE so I order a new Centura. Just move the apps you want on the home screen til you figure out how to program in those circle-thingy.

Maybe after getting all the apps you want in that circle-thingy you press menu or something. I'm sure that have to some tutorial.

Joeb84 probably would know.

Lipcrkr

runner
October 29, 2013, 7:43 pm
Lipcrkr: I know what you're talking about now - when I was trying on the ZTE, I was trying to "program" the shortcuts or whatever that was called but each time I thought I did it and after I touched it it would delete it but you still have them. Just know that you can still make calls and your contacts are still there as long as you see the app. I didn't bother looking at the user's manual online because I already knew that I liked the Centura for my purpose better than the ZTE so I order a new Centura. Just move the apps you want on the home screen til you figure out how to program in those circle-thingy.

Maybe after getting all the apps you want in that circle-thingy you press menu or something. I'm sure that have to some tutorial.

Joeb84 probably would know.
Thanks runner. The problem is i can't move what i want to the home screen or any screen for that matter because in my settings for phone, among other things, doesn't say "able". So the "X' in the circle doesn't mean anything because i can't "able" to undo "disable" or "forced stop".
I do have my circle-thingy full, only the "sound" shows no "X".

runner

Lpcrkr: Are you going into "settings" to move your apps? If so, that's not it. You move your apps from your screen. On top where it says: Apps, Widgets, playstore, go to "Apps" From there long press the app you want to move til it buzzes and then you're able to move 'em. Like I said before, even though I only tried a few times, I was not able to successfully move and keep my apps in that circle thingy.

Lipcrkr

Runner, i finally was able to put my phone back at the bottom of the sceen along with settings. I still can't put my browser back on the screen (or that thingy that still has an "X' inside the circle), so i'll keep trying. But the main thing is my phone is reachable now.........thank you for helping a dumb guy use a smart phone.

tfuser19

Lipcrkrk,
Congrats :) ! How did you fix it?

Lipcrkr

tfuser19
October 29, 2013, 8:58 pm
Lipcrkrk,
Congrats :) ! How did you fix it?
I did what runner said, went to my widget screen and brought over my phone to the bottom of my home screen, i think what happened was i didn't hold the screen long enough at the right time.. I'm trying to bring my browser back to my home screen but the "thingy" still has an "X' in the circle for Browser.
My screen says "Click on the corresponding area to set the program entry", but when i push the entry it comes back as "none" on the bottom of the screen
I was able to transfer a pic from my PC to Gallery, but when it says would i like to place the pic as my home page i still get the other screens instead.

runner

Lpcrkr:

Managing Shortcuts and
Widgets
Adding Shortcuts and Widgets
1. Press the Home Key > > Widgets.
2. Tap Widgets or Shortcuts to view the available
widgets and shortcuts.
3. Tap and hold a widget or shortcut and drag it to the
Home Screen.
Moving Shortcuts or Widgets
1. Tap and hold a widget or shortcut on the Home
Screen.
2. Drag it to the place you need.
Removing Shortcuts or Widgets
1. Tap and hold a widget or shortcut on the Home
Screen.
2. Drag it to to remove it.

I perused the user guide online but there was nothing on how to program the entries that you're referring to. I have very minimal icons on my home screen but to get the browser on your homescreen (for now do not put it in the circle-thing til you figure out how to program that), on your home screen after your phones unlocked, press the circle with six bullets on the bottom of your phone, you'll see all your app icons on your phone, touch the "browser" icon and follow the directions above.

Lipcrkr

Runner,
the problem i have is the browser, g-mail, and a couple of others are not in Widgets or Shortcuts, they are in the apps where they can't be moved. In the apps screen, the "force stop" and "disable" screen are lit up, meaning it is "able" like it should be.
When i touch the 6 circle "thingy" on the bottom of the screen it still does the same thing. The frustrating thing is the browser and g-mail icons were originally on my home screen when i first got the phone, but the browser and g-mail can't be moved back to the home screen because they're only in the "manage apps" section which can't be moved like the others. When i do get the screen that shows browser and g-mail it's not movable.

Below

Lipcrkr
October 30, 2013, 7:15 pm
Runner,
the problem i have is the browser, g-mail, and a couple of others are not in Widgets or Shortcuts, they are in the apps where they can't be moved. In the apps screen, the "force stop" and "disable" screen are lit up, meaning it is "able" like it should be.
When i touch the 6 circle "thingy" on the bottom of the screen it still does the same thing. The frustrating thing is the browser and g-mail icons were originally on my home screen when i first got the phone, but the browser and g-mail can't be moved back to the home screen because they're only in the "manage apps" section which can't be moved like the others. When i do get the screen that shows browser and g-mail it's not movable.
Are you even in the right spot to do this? I read your posts but am really confused. So I'll jump and in explain how to do it.

1. Click the All Apps icon at the bottom of a home screen.
2. Browse this list of apps until you find the Phone app.
3. Click and hold down on the app, then it shows your home screen and you can place it somewhere. Or drag it to the top to cancel and place it nowhere.

If the apps don't show up in the All Apps list, you may have hidden them.

Lipcrkr

Thank you Below. It was hidden all the time, that's why i was missing some icons (like phone, g-mail, and browser) that i originally had. Now that i have "hidden" and know where it is, i can put my main stuff on the home screen, and hide some things i probably won't use or rarely use. I like a mostly clean screen (i use a pic i transferred from my PC as my home screen). I'm still learning Android and smart phones in general. I've had cell phones for years now, but always prepaid and basic because i don't use the phone much (i always use my land line and e-mail). Thanks once again.

tfuser19

Lipcrkr,
So the big question remains ..... how did your phone get into this odd state?

Lipcrkr

Well, as far as me stating i had 2 phone numbers, i did, but didn't. My phone # was the number i had for a couple of years now. But when i returned my Valet at Best Buy they didn't have another one, so i returned it and the next day at another BB, i replaced it with a different Valet.
But i didn't realize that even though my phone was defective, my number was changed, that's why i said i had 2 numbers.
The reason my phone was in an "odd state" was because of me. I couldn't figure why i couldn't find my original home screen. It was because they were hidden.....LOL.

runner

Lipcrkr: Step away from your phone... just kidding :)

This reminds me when I got Coby Kyros 2-3 years ago. My clock was always off by 15-20 minutes. Found out it was a know problem and found a site (don't recall) for "rooting" to fix this. Pretty much people on site were saying how easy it is, yada, yada, yada. I asked my brother who at the time set networking for banks, who is at the top of his field, what rooting was. His reply: "um... if you don't know what that means, maybe you shouldn't do it." He always had this uncanny way of making me laugh and he was partly kidding. He looked at what I was referring to and concluded that I would be able to do it but only with caution. I sort of glazed over but what he was pretty much saying is that with rooting you get "full access" to do what you want with your device, i.e., delete bloatware or delete a program that is essential in running your device. Enough said. No rooting for me.

That's why I was asking if there was no phone icon anywhere on your phone as I did not think it was possible to delete them without uninstalling and you cannot unistall stocked software without rooting I found. I still don't know how you make something "invisible".

Also I don't mind feeling "stupid/dumb" for not knowing what may be a common knowledge for some people. Troubleshooting android devices is not my job, at least that's the way I look at it.

I just wanted to check in with you to see you've resolved your issue.

Lipcrkr

runner
November 1, 2013, 10:37 am
Lipcrkr: Step away from your phone... just kidding :)

This reminds me when I got Coby Kyros 2-3 years ago. My clock was always off by 15-20 minutes. Found out it was a know problem and found a site (don't recall) for "rooting" to fix this. Pretty much people on site were saying how easy it is, yada, yada, yada. I asked my brother who at the time set networking for banks, who is at the top of his field, what rooting was. His reply: "um... if you don't know what that means, maybe you shouldn't do it." He always had this uncanny way of making me laugh and he was partly kidding. He looked at what I was referring to and concluded that I would be able to do it but only with caution. I sort of glazed over but what he was pretty much saying is that with rooting you get "full access" to do what you want with your device, i.e., delete bloatware or delete a program that is essential in running your device. Enough said. No rooting for me.

That's why I was asking if there was no phone icon anywhere on your phone as I did not think it was possible to delete them without uninstalling and you cannot unistall stocked software without rooting I found. I still don't know how you make something "invisible".

Also I don't mind feeling "stupid/dumb" for not knowing what may be a common knowledge for some people. Troubleshooting android devices is not my job, at least that's the way I look at it.

I just wanted to check in with you to see you've resolved your issue.
Thanks runner, everything is fine now. I have always been a basic cell phone person. I was with AT&T and VM prior to Tracfone and still have my LG 840. I love the Valet now. I can send pics/videos from/to my phone and computer much easier now, when i'm away from home i can receive e-mails, i can download songs from my PC, i can do lots more away from home that i couldn't before (yes, the 840 had a browser and i tried Opera mini, but the 840 was really worthless because of Java).
I'm using Chrome on my phone because that's what i like on my PC. I also like the zoom on my camera as well as various options, and i like the fact that my minutes are only used as a necessity. I do most of my correspondence with my friends through e-mails and in person. I don't text mainly because my friends don't text (we're old school).
I look at my phone as a means of communicating as a temporary thing, not something i normally do. I have my PC for that and 55" screen. Although i'm well versed in Electronics and tech related in TV and amps, my phone would be fine if i used 2 tin cans as a hookup.....LOL.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

If anyone is looking to get the Valet, Best Buy has them on sale for $79.99 in this week's ad.

https://deals.bestbuy.com/#!/cell+phones2

tfuser19

phoenix1
November 3, 2013, 7:31 am
If anyone is looking to get the Valet, Best Buy has them on sale for $79.99 in this week's ad.
https://deals.bestbuy.com/#!/cell+phones2
Hsn.com deal is better value IMHO.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

True, but I prefer to buy in a store in case there's any problems, it's easier to return. I live very close to HSN but, they won't let you return things in person (I tried that a few years ago :ermm: ) My mom just told me she'd get me the one at Best Buy for Christmas, but I have to go get it (she's 84 and don't get out much) but I won't get it until Christmas. Hope they have extended returns for stuff like that.

Does anyone think the price may come down lower before Christmas, or should I go with this sale? Posted Image

Tarkio101

HSN has extended returns until January 31... Sorry. I know that doesn't help as to buying in store.
But if it does help, I've returned things to HSN many times and never had any issue.
Immediate credit, no questions asked, they include a return label that you stick on the box it came in. FWIW.

annepani

Below
October 8, 2013, 2:57 am
I also learned that you can take a screenshot by holding Power button + down volume. No app installation necessary! It saves them as PNG to SD card/Pictures/Screenshots.
Does this work for all manufacturers or just ZTE? Does anyone know how to take a screenshot on a Samsung Android? Not the Centura but a different Samsung Android. Thanks.

How long do you have to hold the buttons down? Is it fast like taking a picture with the camera or do you have to hold it down a long time.

I held it down so long the phone turned off.

Thanks.

bummpr
Member Avatar

annepani
November 4, 2013, 12:35 pm
Below
October 8, 2013, 2:57 am
I also learned that you can take a screenshot by holding Power button + down volume. No app installation necessary! It saves them as PNG to SD card/Pictures/Screenshots.
Does this work for all manufacturers or just ZTE? Does anyone know how to take a screenshot on a Samsung Android? Not the Centura but a different Samsung Android. Thanks.

How long do you have to hold the buttons down? Is it fast like taking a picture with the camera or do you have to hold it down a long time.

I held it down so long the phone turned off.

Thanks.
It only takes about 3 seconds...keep trying until you get the feel for it.

I think this may be a standard Android feature to do a screen shot on any release.

annepani

I tried it several times and it never worked. I'm using a Samsung Android 4.1.2.

Any other suggestions on how to get a screenshot? Appreciate it.

tfuser19

annepani
November 4, 2013, 10:06 pm
I tried it several times and it never worked. I'm using a Samsung Android 4.1.2.

Any other suggestions on how to get a screenshot? Appreciate it.
It works on my Samsung Galaxy Centura. Initially, I was not holding the buttons down long enough - so I could not get it to work. I'd say if you hold them down for 10 secs, and nothing happens, then maybe your phone does not support it.

jima

I have been hanging around here off an on for a couple years and I have a question to ask.

When the lg 800 came out there was a lot of activity on the forum about it. I bought one, and then the lg 840 came out and the same thing happened. As a matter of fact the 840 forum is still quite active.

What I don't understand is, now that there are Android phones such as the zte, there does not seem to be that kind of enthusiasm.

I was planning on upgrading when my minutes were up to the zte. But recently I checked reviews on Amazon for the phone and there seem to be quite a few negative views. Only averaging a "3". Some had glowing reviews at first, but said that over time the phones became very buggy and unstable? The Lg 840 is rated better.

So, I liked the idea of upgrading to a smart phone, but these reviews and the relative lack of enthusiasm here, are starting to give me second thoughts.

Does anyone have any ideas or comments as to whether this phone is stable, reliable and why there seems to be so little activity in the forums for the android phones?

bummpr
Member Avatar

jima, can't respond to your questions about "enthusiasm" other than this is just a phone, a relatively CHEAP Android smartphone...not an iPhone 5s or Nexus 5 or Galaxy. You pay hundreds less for phone and service but get 80% of functionality of these phones and avoid outrageous Verizon bill every month.

I am enjoying this phone and think it is good value for the investment I made. I wish it had LTE service and a faster processor and ability to tether my iPad but it functions as a true smartphone at a very small price and that pleases me. I get my email and can message easily and I'm impressed with the voice-to-text capabilities. I would not claim this is a device for browsing the internet but that has more to do with lame 3G service rather than the ZTE phone itself.

I'm very thankful Tracfone made the move to support any smartphone. If you just need a phone, stay with what you are using...but if you need GPS, email, easy messaging, photo sharing, Google search, Google Voice, and other apps, you can feel safe in making a $100 investment in this phone and service.

Good Luck! :D

bummpr
Member Avatar

ZTE Valet users may be interested in the ZTE JoinMe app for their PC and phone at... JoinMe

I'm not sure it is any easier to connecting to you phone over USB but it does offer wifi connection to transfer files, etc.

Cheers!

hrhenry

jima
November 6, 2013, 12:19 pm
What I don't understand is, now that there are Android phones such as the zte, there does not seem to be that kind of enthusiasm.
So, I liked the idea of upgrading to a smart phone, but these reviews and the relative lack of enthusiasm here, are starting to give me second thoughts.
Does anyone have any ideas or comments as to whether this phone is stable, reliable and why there seems to be so little activity in the forums for the android phones?
When the LG 800 and the LG 840G were released, nobody had seen anything like them before on tracfone, particularly the 840G. They were a real departure from what was available.

While android phones are new to tracfone, we've all been exposed to them, whether by ad bombardment or by friends. They're nothing new and we're all familiar with the OS.

It's hard to get excited about something that's been slightly incrementally improving over the last few years. More so with underwhelming hardware.

I really would like to get an android phone for use with tracfone, but I don't like any of the models currently being offered. So I'm sticking with mu 840G. I've got it working pretty much how I'd like and have been able to work around any sticking problems I might run into, such as multitasking. Once there's better hardware (and a GSM model or two), I'll make the jump.

Lipcrkr

hrhenry
November 6, 2013, 4:13 pm
jima
November 6, 2013, 12:19 pm
When the LG 800 and the LG 840G were released, nobody had seen anything like them before on tracfone, particularly the 840G. They were a real departure from what was available.

While android phones are new to tracfone, we've all been exposed to them, whether by ad bombardment or by friends. They're nothing new and we're all familiar with the OS.

It's hard to get excited about something that's been slightly incrementally improving over the last few years. More so with underwhelming hardware.

I really would like to get an android phone for use with tracfone, but I don't like any of the models currently being offered. So I'm sticking with mu 840G. I've got it working pretty much how I'd like and have been able to work around any sticking problems I might run into, such as multitasking. Once there's better hardware (and a GSM model or two), I'll make the jump.
I have the ZTE Valet and LG 840. My LG currently is disabled, but will "able" if it is needed. My first Valet was defective and ultimately replaced it with another Valet. After some problems with the phone (due to my lack of knowledge of Smartphones), and the generosity of a few members in here giving me help when needed, my Valet is working out great. I probably won't do most things other smartphone users do (or even Tracfone Smartphone users), but the Valet is perfect for what i need.
At home i hardly use the Valet (i just make/receive calls) but when not home i like to be able to surf the web. My computer and HDTV at home are connected and when watching TV i'm also on high speed Internet. I love being able to be on the Internet 24/7 now. In a few days i will be on a tour bus and will try out the Wi-Fi (i use a cable modem at home), and also will be taking pic/videos.
The LG 840 took pretty good pics/videos (for a Tracfone), i will try the new phone to see how it compares. I like the zoom and other features of the camera, i realize it's not an HTC, but if i want to take serious pics i'll use my Nikon for that. But having a cell phone camera taking decent pics is good enough for me, unlike my Nikon, which i don't carry on me when i want to take a picture in the Mall.......LOL.
I think it's still too early to tell about the lack of enthusiasm, primarily because there are two ways of thinking. There are many people who use their phones constantly 24/7. They NEED to spend more money on plans per month, that's why they give you free or reduced rates on high end phones, why?, they are paying $50-$100+ a month
to use the phone. Some of us hardly use the phone for various reasons (like in an emergency, or to contact someone about meeting in person) etc. These people, like, me, prefer to use Tracfone.
I currently have over 200 minutes for calling, that is much more than i need which ends Feb.2014, it will carry over and triple once again.
What Tracfone Androids are doing is if you are comfortable with the minutes, but want a little extra time to text and surf, you have it and you can buy data cards for whatever amount you need. In my case, since i use the Internet on my home PC, i now have the option of using data away from home when i need it.
Again, most people won't use Tracfone if they need unlimited data, text, and voice. And for most Tracfone users, Androids are not what they're looking for. They are happy with a basic phone without some of the bells and whistles that Androids have.
I am happy that Tracfone now gives us a choice..........i am satisfied that the Valet (and Sammy and Huawai for those users), is giving us something to expand on for the $7-$10 per month. I never expected to buy a $100 phone since my LG 840 was and is fine.........but i did knowing that my minutes would stay the same but the little extra data would come in handy. Now, if i'm in the Mall and someone asks me not what time it is, but if i know the score of a certain game.......i can do that.

muddy211

My one two combo is my Samsung S390G and my new Nexus 7...
My daughter has the Centura but I could never stare at that postage stamp size screen. :D :D :D

jima

Thanks for the in depth replies.

If I am hearing correctly, it appears to me that the 840g is a very capable phone that comes as close as possible to being a smart phone without actually being one. Some do not see the benefit to upgrading to the available android choices for the differences between the two.

On the other hand the zte is a genuine smart phone and performs all the functions designed into it reliably. This seems to confirm to me that if I were to update from my lg 800, that I have had for two years, that I would still have a phone that is reliable for making calls, with the added benefits, of wifi, gps, ability to watch videos full screen, and get to learn about the android type phones in general.

This will be helpful to me as I try to determine if I want to upgrade to the 840 or the zte.

Tech
Member Avatar

jima
November 7, 2013, 9:12 pm
Thanks for the in depth replies.

If I am hearing correctly, it appears to me that the 840g is a very capable phone that comes as close as possible to being a smart phone without actually being one. Some do not see the benefit to upgrading to the available android choices for the differences between the two.

On the other hand the zte is a genuine smart phone and performs all the functions designed into it reliably. This seems to confirm to me that if I were to update from my lg 800, that I have had for two years, that I would still have a phone that is reliable for making calls, with the added benefits, of wifi, gps, ability to watch videos full screen, and get to learn about the android type phones in general.

This will be helpful to me as I try to determine if I want to upgrade to the 840 or the zte.
I'd wait for the LG Optimus Dynamic 2

Transist from LG to LG ...

jima

Oh yea, that does look interesting.

jvold

I ordered the ZTE Valet through the tracfone website. I have never had an android phone before, so I assumed it worked like any other tracfone, but it doesn't. The minutes are broken into 3 categories. So now when I buy a 200 minute card and the minutes are tripled, I get 600 minutes, which is divided into 3 categories; talk, text and data. Each category is given 600 minutes, which is good if you are a user who uses all 3 equally. I mostly text, and with my old phone each text used 0.30 minutes, giving me 1,800 texts. The android uses 1 minute per text, which is only 600 texts for a 3 month period. Also, the phone doesn't display how many minutes you have left and when your next service day is.

These issues are a problem for me, so I called tracfone and explained why I would like to send the phone back. After an hour on the phone with more than one customer service representative and their manager, I was told that they would send me a Fed Ex envelope and I could return the phone for a refund. They said that it would take 3 to 4 days to receive it. That was a almost a week ago, and I still haven't received the Fed Ex envelope, so I called tracfone again. They put me through the same thing as last time. After almost an hour on the phone, they told me that there was no documentation proving that someone had told me that they would send a Fed Ex envelope, and I was told that I couldn't return the phone, even though my 30 days to return the phone weren't up. The manager didn't believe that I was telling the truth.

I have always been satisfied with tracfone, but I'm very disappointed in the way I was treated over the purchase of this android phone. I now have a $106 phone that I don't know what to do with. My minutes are up in 10 days, and I'm wondering if I should switch to something different. I hope this helps someone else.

Zudozizzi Ninja Spaminator
Member Avatar

Got a silly question. How does one go about deleting phone/email contacts manually with this phone? This question coming off a double shift and so I probably have the answer right in front of me but can't see it. :)

I have a pair of Gmail accounts and with the phone set to sync, it appears to have imported every of the 29,000(!) different email addresses I've had contact with on gmail, craigslist, etc., etc. I thought I could delete them but they would pop up as soon as the phone re-synced. I ended up doing a factory reset and now that I have this Bluetooth paired with my LG800 and transferring those contacts, I'm hoping there's a way I can re-enter my gmail accounts and not have to manually enter all that contact info.

Other than that, this phone rocks!

tfuser19

@Zudozizzi,
The easiest way is to log into your google account with your PC, then clean up your google contacts from PC, then resync phone with google again.

If for some reason you want to keep all those contacts, then you could put the ones you don't want to see on your phone in different groups using PC, then on phone, tell to show contacts within all groups except uncheck the groups you don't want to see.

Click on People icon->Menu->"Contacts to display" to see options - especially look at "Customize" (this is how it is on my Centura with Android 4.0.4 anyway).

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

I don't know if this means anything, but I noticed today that HSN.com is no longer listing the ZTE Valet for sale.
It has completely disappeared from the HSN website.

ShadowDancer :huh:

Fisha695

ShadowDancer
November 9, 2013, 6:19 pm
I don't know if this means anything, but I noticed today that HSN.com is no longer listing the ZTE Valet for sale.
It has completely disappeared from the HSN website.

ShadowDancer :huh:
Still there if you know the URL, it just says that it's sold out and you can add it to your favorites to be notified when it's
back in stock... http://www.hsn.com/products/zte-valet-android-tracfone-w600-minutes-text-and-data/7300052

bummpr
Member Avatar

jvold
November 8, 2013, 11:58 pm
I ordered the ZTE Valet through the tracfone website. I have never had an android phone before, so I assumed it worked like any other tracfone, but it doesn't. The minutes are broken into 3 categories. So now when I buy a 200 minute card and the minutes are tripled, I get 600 minutes, which is divided into 3 categories; talk, text and data. Each category is given 600 minutes, which is good if you are a user who uses all 3 equally. I mostly text, and with my old phone each text used 0.30 minutes, giving me 1,800 texts. The android uses 1 minute per text, which is only 600 texts for a 3 month period. Also, the phone doesn't display how many minutes you have left and when your next service day is.

These issues are a problem for me, so I called tracfone and explained why I would like to send the phone back. After an hour on the phone with more than one customer service representative and their manager, I was told that they would send me a Fed Ex envelope and I could return the phone for a refund. They said that it would take 3 to 4 days to receive it. That was a almost a week ago, and I still haven't received the Fed Ex envelope, so I called tracfone again. They put me through the same thing as last time. After almost an hour on the phone, they told me that there was no documentation proving that someone had told me that they would send a Fed Ex envelope, and I was told that I couldn't return the phone, even though my 30 days to return the phone weren't up. The manager didn't believe that I was telling the truth.

I have always been satisfied with tracfone, but I'm very disappointed in the way I was treated over the purchase of this android phone. I now have a $106 phone that I don't know what to do with. My minutes are up in 10 days, and I'm wondering if I should switch to something different. I hope this helps someone else.
Despite the lousy customer service (which should not surprise you), keep the phone...you know you can text a lot easier with Android speech-to-text and also use the data portion of your minutes to send text messages.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

bummpr
November 9, 2013, 8:14 pm
jvold

Despite the lousy customer service (which should not surprise you), keep the phone...you know you can text a lot easier with Android speech-to-text and also use the data portion of your minutes to send text messages.
Heck, why even use the data portion of your minutes to text?? ... Go to Google Play and download a free texting app.
That way, you can text for free to your heart’s content via Wi-Fi and never ever spend another minute on text messaging again, unless you choose to.

That's one of the advantages of owning an Android smartphone . . .

Member Avatar

tfuser19
November 9, 2013, 1:51 pm
@Zudozizzi,
The easiest way is to log into your google account with your PC, then clean up your google contacts from PC, then resync phone with google again.

If for some reason you want to keep all those contacts, then you could put the ones you don't want to see on your phone in different groups using PC, then on phone, tell to show contacts within all groups except uncheck the groups you don't want to see.

Click on People icon->Menu->"Contacts to display" to see options - especially look at "Customize" (this is how it is on my Centura with Android 4.0.4 anyway).
Thanks. Never in a million years would of thought of doing that with google contacts.

Now, how does one delete an individual contact so that I don't end up with a (no name) contact? There should be a way to hit the 'x' or something and just delete an entire contact instead of deleting the info from that contact and ending up with that (no name) entry.

I double transferred a couple of contacts from my LG800 when they didn't show up the first time.

Member Avatar

For those wondering about switching numbers between phones and porting to a different carrier...

I did mine totally on the TF website yesterday morning and maybe 45 minutes tops between filling out the activate/transfer number thing to verifying the new phone to having my number ported from ATT to what, Verizon?

I expected another 10 day ordeal like the last time 5-6 years ago.

Member Avatar

November 10, 2013, 5:44 am
Now, how does one delete an individual contact so that I don't end up with a (no name) contact? There should be a way to hit the 'x' or something and just delete an entire contact instead of deleting the info from that contact and ending up with that (no name) entry.

I double transferred a couple of contacts from my LG800 when they didn't show up the first time.
Nothing to see here, got it figured out with the contact list.

Now just need to figure out why my web browser works and I can send/receive text messages but all outgoing phone calls I get a Verizon message saying that the number I dialed is changed, deleted or no longer in service. Calling my number I get a disconnect after 18 seconds. Nothing outgoing/incoming shows up in the logs. I set up a Verizon VM account and did my password yesterday so I was able to make calls at one time. :wub:

Currently at 610/607/597 so that isn't the problem.

bummpr
Member Avatar

ShadowDancer
November 9, 2013, 9:20 pm
bummpr
November 9, 2013, 8:14 pm
jvold

Heck, why even use the data portion of your minutes to text?? ... Go to Google Play and download a free texting app.
That way, you can text for free to your heart’s content via Wi-Fi and never ever spend another minute on text messaging again, unless you choose to.

That's one of the advantages of owning an Android smartphone . . .

ShadowDancer is right on with this GREAT clarification! I have used Google Voice and just installed FaceBook Messenger...they both provide FREE text/SMS/MMS and will use your "free" wifi bandwidth if available.

FaceBook Messenger is available without having FaceBook and will work with your contacts who do not have FaceBook.

Mashable Explanation

The Verge Explanation

;)

annepani

I think this should also be in the Tracfone Android apps section since it applies to all Tracfone Androids, not just the ZTE.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.