Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Tracfone) ZTE Valet (Z665C) Phone Topic
Topic Started: September 26, 2013, 5:18 pm (59,201 Views)
Joeb84

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts, or questions on this phone, please post it all here ... thanks.

* Attention Turkamaniacs: Tracfone Promotion Codes do not work with the new Tracfone Android Phones.

* Tracfone ZTE Valet Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?custId=TFZEZ665C

* Located in the Topics Forum: Tracfone/Net10 - Apps for Androids - we discuss different apps for android devices.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the Wizard
October 10, 2013, 6:47 pm
@joeb84,
Thanks for your information about the ZTE Valet.
You're very welcome.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

muddy211

For those wanting to compare the Centura and Valet specs, here you go... Looks accurate. :D

http://theinformr.com/cell-phones/compare/2628,2804/

Joeb84

muddy211
October 10, 2013, 7:20 pm
For those wanting to compare the Centura and Valet specs, here you go... Looks accurate. :D

Thanks Muddy211.

tfuser19

muddy211
October 10, 2013, 7:20 pm

I already posted that same comparison link in post #4 of this thread.

I would not put too much stock in the theinformr specs since they have errors for the LG 840G display size and
I don't know where the got the display specs for the ZTE which are not even on the ZTE site.

ST Dog

Joeb84
October 10, 2013, 5:33 pm
To me comparing them side by side, the Valet just didn't seem as sharp.
Do they both have a glass screen?
Both are glass (as far as I know no one has a plastic cap sense display). It's not gorilla glass, but should be OK.
Both are the same resolution.

The difference would be related to the LCD/LED display under the glass, some are better than others.
One could be LCD and the other AMOLED.
Someone would have to disassemble them and get the actual make/model off the part to say more.

Joeb84

ST Dog
October 10, 2013, 9:57 pm
Joeb84
October 10, 2013, 5:33 pm
To me comparing them side by side, the Valet just didn't seem as sharp.
Do they both have a glass screen?
Both are glass (as far as I know no one has a plastic cap sense display). It's not gorilla glass, but should be OK.
Both are the same resolution.

The difference would be related to the LCD/LED display under the glass, some are better than others.
One could be LCD and the other AMOLED.
Someone would have to disassemble them and get the actual make/model off the part to say more.
Thanks for the detailed information. That was very helpful.

tfuser19

Amazon.com reviews to ponder over. Non-Tracfone reviews are still relevant:
ZTE Valet:
http://www.amazon.com/ZTE-Android-Prepaid-Minutes-Tracfone/product-reviews/B00FM7R1WG/

Centura:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Centura-Android-Prepaid/product-reviews/B00C442VNO/
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Centura-Android-Prepaid-Tracfone/product-reviews/B00FDZMC9Y/

Joeb84

tfuser19
October 10, 2013, 10:27 pm
The Amazon review for the Valet had me curious... I connected the phone via usb to my pc with no problems.
Driver installed easily and I was able to view all the files on my phone. Apparently, this person had never used
an android device before.

Lipcrkr

Joeb84
October 11, 2013, 11:45 am
tfuser19
October 10, 2013, 10:27 pm
The Amazon review for the Valet had me curious... I connected the phone via usb to my pc with no problems.
Driver installed easily and I was able to view all the files on my phone. Apparently, this person had never used
an android device before.
All the pro reviews online rave about the new Tracfone Androids (something I've always wanted) and the Valet more
so than the Centura is getting better reviews overall, mostly for the Jelly Beans.. Tomorrow I am picking up the Valet
at Best Buy... I have the Tracfone LG 840g currently (which has been great, but I need to be "smarter").

Tarkio101

Lip, do you have any of those reviews you can post a link to?

Lipcrkr

Tarkio101
October 11, 2013, 6:58 pm
Sure... Here's the first one... he has done many other reviews as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTHWqV3DSFw

Here's another one, this is from TracFone Reviewer:
http://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.com/2013/10/tracfone-zte-valet-and-samsung-galaxy.html

Below

And did anybody see that benchmark gallery I posted earlier? That one user wanted it, but no other comments on it. Not fishing for thanks or anything, but it has a lot of specs and such about the phone so one of you might find them useful. I also ran Antutu again and Antutu X and it got higher scores this time! Not impressed with the fact it's only Cortex A5 though (seriously? A5!?)

Zef

Great job and thanks Below, very good info, it would great if we could get the same info off the other phones and compare.

I almost jumped on the bandwagon to get one of these, but decided that I would not pay more than $50, or just wait for a dual or quad core, better yet BYOD if that ever happens. The Centura and Valet phones are slow old S1 snapdragon Socs with Single core Arm v5 (1.57 DMIPS / MHz per core). Did not see a spec for the Hauwai yet, but prob the same. The ANTUTU benchmark will vary because the CPU is on demand Frequency, for the ZTE 98Mhz Max 1008. The Samsung S2 at the bottom of the Antutu list is a Dual core, 1200 MHz, ARM Cortex-A9.

The newer SOCs are dual or quad core. With a BOYD for $130 you can find ZTE V967S, Android 4.2, A7 Quad Core 1.2GHz (1.9 DMIPS / MHz per core), 5.0 inch IPS qHD. Antutu score of about 13,000.

Lipcrkr

Zef
October 12, 2013, 6:14 am
Great job and thanks Below, very good info, it would great if we could get the same info off the other phones and compare.

I almost jumped on the bandwagon to get one of these, but decided that I would not pay more than $50, or just wait for a dual or quad core, better yet BYOD if that ever happens. The Centura and Valet phones are slow old S1 snapdragon Socs with Single core Arm v5 (1.57 DMIPS / MHz per core). Did not see a spec for the Hauwai yet, but prob the same. The ANTUTU benchmark will vary because the CPU is on demand Frequency, for the ZTE 98Mhz Max 1008. The Samsung S2 at the bottom of the Antutu list is a Dual core, 1200 MHz, ARM Cortex-A9.

The newer SOCs are dual or quad core. With a BOYD for $130 you can find ZTE V967S, Android 4.2, A7 Quad Core 1.2GHz (1.9 DMIPS / MHz per core), 5.0 inch IPS qHD. Antutu score of about 13,000.
Excuse me for being clueless, but for many of us, just having any Smartphone is better than what we've had. I don't feel like waiting another 5 years for a duo or quad core. This is a Tracfone, i use the phone sparingly, i don't text, and i plan on using data lightly.
For about 8 bucks a month i am not complaining.
I have my PC connected to my 55" HDTV......all i need the phone for is for some music, taking pic/videos to watch on my big screen, and some of this n that. The phone is just for receiving calls outside the house and playing around some websites in between doing this and that. I don't need a phone where it costs me at least $35 a month, that's why i have a Tracfone. The Valet or Centura and my LG 840 fulfills my needs.

muddy211

Lipcrkr
October 12, 2013, 8:05 am
Zef

Excuse me for being clueless, but for many of us, just having any Smartphone is better than what we've had. I don't feel like waiting another 5 years for a duo or quad core. This is a Tracfone, i use the phone sparingly, i don't text, and i plan on using data lightly.
I have my PC connected to my 55" HDTV......all i need the phone for is for some music, taking pic/videos to watch on my big screen, and some of this n that. The phone is just for receiving calls outside the house and playing around some websites in between doing this and that. I don't need a phone where it costs me at least $35 a month, that's why i have a Tracfone. The Valet or Centura and my LG 840 fulfills my needs.
@Lip, I agree 100%...I for one purchased the Centura, Rooted and ROM'd it and now my daughter is using it? People on here complain and whine an awful lot yet they forget they purchased a bottom of the barrel phone...I used to be one of the Lambs to the Slaughter high end phone user...but have learned that lesson...With WiFi everywhere, Home, Work, Panera, Starbucks, McD's, Publix, BAM, the Mall etc.. With computers at home laptops at home and my daughters new Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, why do I need a 150.00 a month wireless bill? I'm just fine with an under $8.00 a month wireless bill. The Big 4 wireless companies are laughing all the way to the bank!!! :D

Zef

Android on tracfone will be great. No monthly fee. Data rolls over every month. Use texting apps to get free texting at school and home maybe at work using wifi - and 6 texts per unit using data is all good.

My kids are using a second device for the free texts right now, they will be able to start just carrying one device if they want. I only use 30 mins/mo, with android. I will be using apps more than the phone/text - actually gives me a better reason to lug a phone around - it will be useful for more things.

My point was $100 (already dropped to $70) for these phones with old tech seems too high... I will wait for a $50 phone... Or pay $100-$150 on a better phone...

tfuser19

Zef
October 12, 2013, 11:58 am
Android on tracfone will be great. No monthly fee. Data rolls over every month. Use texting apps to get free texting at school and home maybe at work using wifi - and 6 texts per unit using data is all good.

My kids are using a second device for the free texts right now, they will be able to start just carrying one device if they want. I only use 30 mins/mo, with android. I will be using apps more than the phone/text - actually gives me a better reason to lug a phone around - it will be useful for more things.

My point was $100 (already dropped to $70) for these phones with old tech seems too high... I will wait for a $50 phone... Or pay $100-$150 on a better phone...
@Zef,

Right now, we don't have those choices that you are waiting for and we want to stick with Tracfone. Sure, everything goes down in price or gets better in price as time goes buy ......... if you're will to wait, that's great. I think we've killed this horse. :D

Lipcrkr

Zef
October 12, 2013, 11:58 am

Zef, i didn't mean to get on your case, sorry. Yes, the Jelly Bean is probably "old" tech, but it's new enough to be comfortable with (same a Sammy Centura) for a while. I mainly use the phone for incoming/outgoing calls, camera, and now data. I don't hang out on the phone or text like most people do. When i am at Home, i have all the bells & whistles using every conceivable multimedia device. But when i'm not home, using my phone is primarily a device to call/receive and let that person know that i'll e-mail her/him when i get home. Which by the way will change once i get the Valet.
I currently have the LG 840g which has been awesome. But upgrading to the ZTE Valet for the same $8.00 a month with more features that i can use now, is attractive to me
Unfortunately, when i went to Best Buy today, they were all sold out. The clerk said they'll be coming back in on Monday/Tuesday.
My main goal with Tracfone is to have the latest phone (Tracfone), in this case the LG 840.......then upgrade to an Android next week. For $100 i still get a per month average of about $8.00. I currently have 20 days left and about 60 min. before i get another card. I will get a 60 min card tripled like i've always done (including an extra 20 min promo card).
So when i get my new phone i'll transfer the minutes which is about 60 min. Then i'll buy a 60 min card (3 months), which triples to 180 min + 60 min + 20 min = 240 min. For me, that's more than i'll ever need for 3/4 months including data. Rollover is nice to have, that's why i always get the 60 min card because it triples. I have outstanding credit, but i don't feel the need to spend $35 + per month for a 4"+ screen, an 8 mega pixel camera, and the latest flavor of the month.
Jelly Bean is something i can snack on once in a while when needed.

Below

The fact that phone is low end is pretty understandable. Tracfone markets itself to cheapskates/low income, people who don't use their phone much, and those who want a realistic phone bill (if you don't do much, then you probably don't need much to begin with). So it's only reasonable that they would market "beginner" smartphones.

Yeah, it'd be really nice if they had a BYOD or such, but Tracfone is in a complicated position. They primarily use the towers of other companies, depending on the area... it's not like they can instantly lower prices or introduce new phones which, although Tracfone unbranded, just happen to be smart enough for the Tracfone SIM and whatnot. And would the big carriers even allow it? I would imagine that threatening to their businesses - not only would they offer better Pay As You Go plans, but they'd be carrier-independent, AND offer any choice of phone. Who would turn that down? If I'm wrong though, feel free to correct me.

The fact is Android in ANY form is an upgrade over the non-Android phones. Even the slowest, least memory, least internal memory, etc. A low end phone can still be customized, and to the extent of NONE of the previous Tracfones. Out of the box, not even mentioning apps. I jumped on the bandwagon for triple units, WiFi, and Android. So while the price for the phone may be a ripoff, Android alone is enough of an upgrade to justify it. You could also think of it this way - you're not really paying for the phone, you're paying for the cost of the company to make a real upgrade in the products they offer.

Tracfone kind of "solved" this issue with Net10 - they sell high end phones, but use a pay as you go system. Even though not as cheap, it's a start.

And for the record, I hated the LG 840G. It was unusable for me. I really really wanted the LG 505c(?). The touch screen slider that was $90 when it came out, but for some reason dropped to 1/3 the price... but for some reason it wasn't offered in my area.

Lipcrkr

Yes, the Jelly Bean is probably "old" tech, but it's new enough to be comfortable with (same a Sammy Centura) for a while.
This is a perfect opportunity for one of the manufacturers to push updates and bring way more value. I could see that translating in sales. If I knew the Huawei or LG had guarantees of updates, or regular schedules, I would have chosen it instead.

Below

BTW, how do you do that whole ROM thing? I have the ROM Manager installed, but don't know much about it. I would upload the stock ZTE Valet ROM somewhere, just in case anybody needed it.

And is there an Android specific system image program? I'm used to things like Acronis True Image or such... I could use that for the device actually, but since it's not really made for that or flashing phones, it's not the ideal solution.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Just wanted to say thanks to everyone so far that has posted information about this new ZTE android phone. :)

* Also, I stopped by one of my Best Buy stores today and they had a couple of these ZTE phones in stock (price $100).

* So I bought one to try out and see what it is like ... but I am not keeping it, just wanted to see it in person, that's all.

* So after a few days of playing around with it, I will report back here with a mini-review of the phone, before I return it.

* Over all, it seems like a nice little android phone... some things on it I like more than the Huawei and some things I don't.

* But you'll all have to stay tuned for the mini-review to see what I am talking about.. :$ .. (lol) .. ;)

Valeturk B-)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lipcrkr

I really like the FM radio on Huawai, wish the ZTE had it.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

Here is a review from YouTube that compares the Zte Valet to the Samsung Centura. I was thinking about the Centura until I saw this, because I tend to go with Samsung given the option, but when I get the money I think I'll go with the Zte instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS7TbsUn1iY

Joeb84

Lipcrkr
October 11, 2013, 7:46 pm
Tarkio101
October 11, 2013, 6:58 pm
Sure... Here's the first one... he has done many other reviews as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTHWqV3DSFw

Here's another one, this is from TracFone Reviewer:
http://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.com/2013/10/tracfone-zte-valet-and-samsung-galaxy.html
Great reviews. I especially like the YouTube video. Thanks for posting.

Joeb84

muddy211
October 12, 2013, 10:27 am
Lipcrkr
October 12, 2013, 8:05 am
Zef

@Lip, I agree 100%...I for one purchased the Centura, Rooted and ROM'd it and now my daughter is using it? People on here complain and whine an awful lot yet they forget they purchased a bottom of the barrel phone...I used to be one of the Lambs to the Slaughter high end phone user...but have learned that lesson...With WiFi everywhere, Home, Work, Panera, Starbucks, McD's, Publix, BAM, the Mall etc.. With computers at home laptops at home and my daughters new Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, why do I need a 150.00 a month wireless bill? I'm just fine with an under $8.00 a month wireless bill. The Big 4 wireless companies are laughing all the way to the bank!!! :D
Great comments you two.. My thoughts exactly.

haymeadowfield

I just got this phone and so far I like it. I was trying to install Ibotta but it says my device is not compatible. How can I get this app to work on this phone?
Also does anyone know if there is an app that would replace the current keyboard so it would be larger?

Joeb84

phoenix1
October 13, 2013, 8:12 am
Here is a review from YouTube that compares the Zte Valet to the Samsung Centura. I was thinking about the Centura until I saw this, because I tend to go with Samsung given the option, but when I get the money I think I'll go with the Zte instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS7TbsUn1iY
That you so much for posting this great Youtube video. This gentlemen always does a thorough job demonstrating the phones.

JadedOne
Member Avatar

I've read the threads about all 3 Android phones that have been released to far and the Valet is topping my list. I like that the Centura isn't the regular black but that's a stupid reason to choose one phone over another when there are phone covers and such to solve that issue and also protect the phone at the same time. Has anyone found any covers/skins online that they've purchased or are thinking about getting?

JadedOne
Member Avatar

muddy211
October 12, 2013, 10:27 am
I for one purchased the Centura, Rooted and ROM'd it and now my daughter is using it?
You rooted the TF Centura? What did that do to the phone when it comes to accepting time cards and etc?

phoenix1
Member Avatar

JadedOne
October 13, 2013, 10:26 am
Has anyone found any covers/skins online that they've purchased or are thinking about getting?
I just contacted a seller at Amazon (I've purchased from them before and they have a great rating) to see if the screen protectors that are available for the Samsung Centura will work with the Zte and to see if they'll have a Zte hybrid cover (I have one on my LG 840 and it's great) available soon. I'll let you know what I find out when I hear from them.

Quote:

haymeadowfield said:I just got this phone and so far I like it. I was trying to install Ibotta but it says my device is not compatible. How can I get this app to work on this phone?
I have a Nexus 7 2 tablet, which is an Android, and if it says an app isn't compatible then there usually isn't a way around it.

Anyone that has bought an Android phone may want to check out an alternative launcher, I've downloaded the free version of the Nova launcher on my tablet and it really makes a difference on my tablet...it also allows you to change the look of your icons.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher

Here's a good review of the Nova launcher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6KwEkvoarg

Joeb84

JadedOne
October 13, 2013, 10:26 am
I've read the threads about all 3 Android phones that have been released to far and the Valet is topping my list. I like that the Centura isn't the regular black but that's a stupid reason to choose one phone over another when there are phone covers and such to solve that issue and also protect the phone at the same time. Has anyone found any covers/skins online that they've purchased or are thinking about getting?
I just received a beautiful cover from a seller on EBay. The seller is tc-fashion888. They have a nice selection and are $5.85 with free shipping. I ordered it last Sunday and received it this past Thursday, so shipping was fast and free. It's really pretty and fits the phone perfectly. The seller has these covers listed under Zte Fury and Director also, but they fit the Valet perfectly, too. Josie

phoenix1
Member Avatar

Joeb84
October 13, 2013, 12:59 pm
I just received a beautiful cover from a seller on EBay. The seller is tc-fashion888. They have a nice selection and are $5.85 with free shipping. I ordered it last Sunday and received it this past Thursday, so shipping was fast and free. It's really pretty and fits the phone perfectly. The seller has these covers listed under Zte Fury and Director also, but they fit the Valet perfectly, too. Josie
Could you please post a link, I've been all over ebay and can't find it Posted Image. Thanks

Joeb84

phoenix1
October 13, 2013, 3:28 pm
Joeb84
October 13, 2013, 12:59 pm
Could you please post a link, I've been all over ebay and can't find it Posted Image. Thanks
Sure here us the link...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400582875776?var=670145772563&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

phoenix1
Member Avatar

:D Thanks!!

tfuser19

One way to receive your Tracfone Android's phone balance is to create a shortcut/bookmark like this:
"https://www.tracfone.com/direct/CheckBalance?input_phone=1112223333"

where 1112223333 is your 10-digit Tracfone #.

Now you will be prompted to enter the last 4-digits of your phone's MEID which you can find under Menu->System settings->About phone->MEID (this works on Centura, someone please confirm for ZTE)

If you find it easy to remember those 4-digits, then you don't have to enter your 10-digit phone which is required to get your balance the usual way.

Receiving the text with your balance is free.

cjon71

haymeadowfield
October 13, 2013, 9:59 am
I just got this phone and so far I like it. I was trying to install Ibotta but it says my device is not compatible. How can I get this app to work on this phone?
Also does anyone know if there is an app that would replace the current keyboard so it would be larger?
You can download keyboards from the google play store. Many are free. I use the paid version of SwiftKey on my current Android device which has a 3.5" display. My advice would be to try some of them out and see if any of them are better for you.

cjon71

Also when looking for cases for the ZTE Valet, look for the ZTE Fury as these phones externally are identical.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

I've been checking on the Fury cases and also checking out some screen protectors, not sure about those though. I'm not sure how many of you are Andriod users, but I've found a case for my Nexus 7 tablet that I love, it's made by Cruzerlite. They're a little more expensive than some of the others but the fit is perfect, they don't have issues with loose sides...and they come with really cool colors and Android guys on the back. They also make Android phone cases, so I sent them an e-mail with links to both the Samsung and Zte phones with a request that they see if they can make cases for them. If you'd like to see what they make, check them out here.

Lipcrkr

Here is the ZTE Valet manual in case someone wants to look at it before deciding:

http://img-tf.deviceanywhere.com//tracfone/pub/80132/docs/Z665C_EN.pdf

annepani

Lipcrkr
October 14, 2013, 7:10 am
Here is the ZTE Valet manual in case someone wants to look at it before deciding
@Lipcrkr

The link to the manual is also contained in the online tutorial and the link to the online tutorial has been posted at least twice in this thread -- post #1 and post #101. There is no need to post a separate link just for the manual.

Here again is the link to the online tutorial.
http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?custId=TFZEZ665C

ST Dog

Below

Yeah, it'd be really nice if they had a BYOD or such, but Tracfone is in a complicated position. They primarily use the towers of other companies, depending on the area... it's not like they can instantly lower prices or introduce new phones which, although Tracfone unbranded, just happen to be smart enough for the Tracfone SIM and whatnot. And would the big carriers even allow it? I would imagine that threatening to their businesses - not only would they offer better Pay As You Go plans, but they'd be carrier-independent, AND offer any choice of phone. Who would turn that down? If I'm wrong though, feel free to correct me.
ST and NET both have BYOD programs, both GSM and CDMA options though the GSM route is currently the better option (LTE and iPhone possible on GSM but not CDMA) if you have coverage for both.

TF Androids appears to be closely related to the PagePlus acquisition, which had pay as you go options as well as the "Unlimited" monthly plans that NET10 and ST use. PP was Verizon only as are the new TF devices.

AirVoice is an AT&T MVNO that offers both pay as you go and monthly plans. 95% of it's users are BYOD too.

So, no the underlying carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint) don'6t have too much issue with MVNOs offering BYOD.

Below

Lipcrkr

Yes, the Jelly Bean is probably "old" tech, but it's new enough to be comfortable with (same a Sammy Centura) for a while.
This is a perfect opportunity for one of the manufacturers to push updates and bring way more value. I could see that translating in sales. If I knew the Huawei or LG had guarantees of updates, or regular schedules, I would have chosen it instead.
Frist JB is not "old tech," It is the current Android release. 4.1 was released in July 2012, and 4.3. (still JB) is from this month (Oct 2013)
ICS isn't really old either. 4.0 was released in Oct 2011. And 4.0.4 that the Centura runs is from Mar 2012

4.4 (KitKat) was announced in Sep (instead of the expected 5.0 KeyLimePie) but hasn't been released/launched yet.

As for updates, that's been the bane of Android so far. Few devices ever offer official updates even though they claim too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_%28operating_system%29#Update_schedule
Quote:

Compared to its chief rival mobile operating system, namely iOS, Android updates are typically slow to reach actual devices. For devices not under the Nexus brand, updates often arrive months from the time the given version is officially released. This is caused partly due to the extensive variation in hardware of Android devices, to which each update must be specifically tailored, as the official Google source code only runs on their flagship Nexus devices. Porting Android to specific hardware is a time- and resource-consuming process for device manufacturers, who prioritize their newest devices and often leave older ones behind. Hence, older smartphones are frequently not updated if the manufacturer decides it is not worth their time, regardless of whether the phone is capable of running the update. This problem is compounded when manufacturers customize Android with their own interface and apps, which must be reapplied to each new release. Additional delays can be introduced by wireless carriers who, after receiving updates from manufacturers, further customize and brand Android to their needs and conduct extensive testing on their networks before sending the update out to users.

The lack of after-sale support from manufacturers and carriers has been widely criticized by consumer groups and the technology media. Some commentators have noted that the industry has a financial incentive not to update their devices, as the lack of updates for existing devices fuels the purchase of newer ones, an attitude described as "insulting". The Guardian has complained that the complicated method of distribution for updates is only complicated because manufacturers and carriers have designed it that way. In 2011, Google partnered with a number of industry players to announce an "Android Update Alliance", pledging to deliver timely updates for every device for 18 months after its release. As of 2013, this alliance has never been mentioned since.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
. . . . . . . . . . . *** Turk's Mini Review of the Tracfone ZTE Valet ***

* Ok, after playing around with this phone for 3-4 days ... here's my mini-review and some other basic info as well.
* I did not and will not activate this phone, cause I'm not keeping it ... so I can't answer questions on call quality, etc.
* I'm gonna compare a few basic things about this phone versus the Huawei Glory that I tested out last week.

* The phone's 3.5 inch screen is a little small for me, I feel I need a bigger screen, I have big hands, so there you go.
* And the keyboard for typing on this phone is small and kind of frustrating, almost feels like you'd need a stylus.
* However, maybe for a female this phone won't be that bad to use, or for a guy with small hands, just saying.
* (Verdict: this is a draw... for me, this was the same situation with the Huawei Glory)

* I live close to a Verizon cell tower, and all my past CDMA phones have always got all bars/full reception around here.
* But the ZTE only picks up 3, sometimes 4 bars out of 6 on the phone? - the Huawei had all full bars on it, around here.
* (Verdict: I feel the Huawei may have better cell tower signal reception than the ZTE does)

* The phone doesn't have adobe flash player built in (the Huawei did) - I was able to download it though from
* the link/info you guys provided on here - but it didn't work on the Chrome browser, only the Tracfone browser.

* The phone also has the Chrome browser installed along with the Tracfone browser - the Chrome browser on the
* Huawei worked better then the Tracfone browser, but I feel the Tracfone browser works better than the Chrome
* browser on the ZTE? (lol) - and you can remove all browsers from the home screen if you like so you don't have to
* worry about bumping it and turning it on and losing data minutes, etc.
* (Verdict: this is a draw, just the opposite situation on each phone)

* The phone's Wifi connected to my home router easily, and got great Wifi reception, but, only close to the router!?
* Wifi reception on this phone is weak I feel - it works fine close to the router, but when I go beyond about 15 feet,
* I lose reception? (The man in the youtube video said the same thing about the Wifi being weak).
* The Huawei had good Wifi reception everywhere, even when I went outside my home into the yard.
* (Verdict: Wifi reception goes to the Huawei)

* Surfing on Wifi is sometimes fast and sometimes slow ... it handles some websites good, and some sites not so good.
* I was able to download some Apps from the Google Play Store with no problems - and games play ok on this phone.
* However, I feel the Wifi page loading speed was a little faster on the Huawei (it was kind of zippy!) (lol)
* (Verdict: I say it's a draw, but with a slight edge going to the Huawei)

* The Touch Screen is sometimes sensitive and responsive, and sometimes not... sometimes you have to hit the
* screen a few times for the button to work ... and the same goes for scrolling, sometimes smooth, sometimes not.
* The pinch and zoom feature worked on most websites on this phone - and it is smoother than the Huawei when
* pinching and zooming - but just like the Huawei Glory, it's not as smooth like some of the better android devices.
* (Verdict: screen responsiveness, scrolling and pinch & zoom are all a little better on the ZTE than on the Huawei)

* The battery on this phone is 1500 mah, which is average for these lower end android phones, and it died quickly.
* The Huawei Glory had a 1750 mah battery, which lasted really long, and seemed to never die! (lol)
* (Verdict: hands down, the winner is the Huawei Glory on battery life)

* The Camera is 3.0mp and the recorder is VGA ... pictures are decent, sometimes they have a slight blur to them.
* The camera does have a Flash on it, which does make the pictures look a little better than pictures on the Huawei.
* The videos are viewable, but they are a little grainy and blurry, but are a little better than the videos on the Huawei.
* There are 3 shutter sound available, all sound ok, and you can turn shutter sound off if you like, unlike the Huawei.
* (Verdict: camera and recorder goes to the ZTE, because the flash helps out with the quality)

* All in all, it's a nice, decent little android phone ... maybe it's a little better overall than the Huawei, but it all depends
* on what you like or want in a phone .. I could use either one and be happy with either one, both have pros and cons.

* Anyway, I don't tell folks what phone they should buy, so it's up to you on whether you think you should get it or not.
* Is it worth $100? ... maybe, maybe not, it's up to you to decide ... for me, I'd probably buy it if I got it for under $80.

* Ps: I'm gonna return this phone soon and wait for the Centura to hit the stores, or wait for sales on these androids.
* So if any of you have any questions, just ask ... and remember, this review was only my thoughts and opinions. ;)

ZTE Turk B-)

Joeb84

Great comparison review between the Valet and Glory. I totally agree about the keyboard, but it was the same
on the Centura. Being a female with long nails, trying to type, especially texting while riding in a car, is difficult
if not almost impossible. That's why I like to use the Google voice typing and search. It is very accurate and fast.
It's one of my favorite feature on android.

Lipcrkr

Does anyone know if it's better to do my normal time card thing (60 min x 3 = 180) before I buy the ZTE Valet?
Or does the 180 x 180 x 180 only work on the Valet? I need to get a new card plus use the 20 minute promo.
I want to use the promo card along with my 60 min card (180). I still have 50 min left on the phone so 180 min
plus 20 min plus 50 min = 250 min.

THEN I transfer the minutes to the Valet. Yes, no, doesn't matter, it's the same either way? I also may get a $10
data card. This will give me 300 megs + 250 megs = a little over a half a gig for 3/4 months.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Attention: just in case no one knows this, but Tracfone Promotion Codes do not work on the new Android Phones.

* This has been talked about just a little around the internet world, and just a little on this forum as well...
* So I thought I'd better get this Info out there on these android phone topics.

* I got a message from a Tracfone Rep on here today, verifying that Promo Codes don't work on the new Android Phones!

* So I guess if you want, try and load up on your old phone before you transfer over to an Android phone (just saying). ;)

T U R K B-)

Lipcrkr

Tomorrow (it's still Tues. in Cali) I will go to Best Buy. I will purchase the Valet phone and a 60 min card and a $10 data card.
I will then bring home both of my phones and online using my old phone will put in my card code PLUS the promo card.
This will currently give me about 250 min.
Then online I'll do the transfer... if all goes well I should have 250 x 250 x 250 plus 300 megs added. 250 x 250 x 550?
I never text so I wish I could subtract 250 from text and add it somehow to data instead......LOL.

runner

I picked up ZTE Valet from BB today and will be returning it tomorrow. The ZTE has a lot of nice apps included but the call/cell strength is weaker than the Centura. The wifi strength is good, almost as good as the Centura. The ZTE screen is definitely less responsive than the Centura. Just trying to scroll through the setting, I keep opening up item I didn't want to. The Home, Back, and Menu screen I had to hit almost always more than once for the phone to respond. I tried MagicJack app on the ZTE and the quality was just as it is on the Centura: very good. I played bejeweled blitz on the ZTE: I had to swipe several times for the screen to register, thus not really playable.

The ZTE has a red battery charge LED light indicator that I like. (I guess that light will blink if you have a message/text, I presume.)

For some reason the screen on the Centura feels like glass and the screen on the ZTE feels plastic-like, less smooth, thus harder to swipe.

tfuser19

@runner,
Thanks for the post. I think this is the first hands-on performance comparison between a Centura and a Valet that I've read about. I'm surprised (but pleased - since I have a Centura) to read that the Centura was the better performer for you.

cdog

Picked up a ZTE tonight, transferred my old tracfone minutes and number to it (2400 minutes). Only the minutes transferred. Called tracfone again twice and they are adamant they are correct - that I get no texts and no data. I told them I was misled online and would be returning the phone. Totally frustrating. :-/

Lipcrkr

I have my ZTE Valet phone and have transferred my old to new, waiting on my ticket.

The screen to me is awesome so far. I have small hands/fingers so maybe that's why Runner had some problems.
I have to wait till my ticket is complete to get more used to it.

I currently have 270 x 270 x 270, Best Buy didn't have any data cards.
The great thing is I got 30 minutes on my promo, usually it's 20 min.

I like what I see so far. I will be travelling to Vegas in a couple of weeks so that's where my camera will get a workout.
But after my ticket is done and I get more familiar with the phone, I'll be back.

Lipcrkr

Actually i have my new acct. and the numbers. I have 540 megs. Still waiting for my ticket.

jvold

I've been a tracfone user for a few years, owning several phones, updating my phones each time. I was excited to see that tracfone came out with an android phone, so I ordered the ZTE Valet and received it yesterday. Today I switched over all of my information from my old phone and had the ZTE activated. I took it for granted that the android phone would have the basic features that all my other tracfones have had, but the disappointing features that it lacks is the read out for how many minutes you have left and how many days you have left before your service runs out. You have to call tracfone to find these things out. Also, instead of each text using .30 minutes, each one uses a full minute with the ZTE Valet. I told the tracfone operator that I would be sending the ZTE back. She told me I had to pay for the shipping, so I decided to reactivate my old tracfone and keep the ZTE for the WIFI and camera features. I'll combine my two tracfones to make one decent one. I wish I had known these things before I ordered the ZTE Valet.

tfuser19

@jvold,
Welcome to the forum. Wish you would have stopped by here before buying your new phone ....... we could have saved you. Really, it's not as bad as you make it seem. On your the new phone, a 400 minute card gives you 1200 voice minutes + 1200 SMS text messages + 1200 MB data.

Getting the balance is easy. The cost to receive the text with your balance is free. There are several ways including using a web browser on your phone or PC to visit
https://www.tracfone.com/direct/CheckBalance
or
http://a.tracfone.com
or
create a shortcut like this:
"https://www.tracfone.com/direct/CheckBalance?input_phone=1112223333"

where 1112223333 is your 10-digit Tracfone #. Now you will be prompted to enter the last 4-digits of your phone's MEID which you can find under Menu->System settings->About phone->MEID

If you find it easy to remember those 4-digits, then you don't have to enter your 10-digit phone # required using the 1st two method to get your balance.

In all cases the balances / end date is shown in the web browser and the balances are sent to you in a free text message.

annepani

jvold
October 17, 2013, 12:17 am
... so I ordered the ZTE Valet and received it yesterday. I took it for granted that the android phone would have the basic features that all my other tracfones have had, but the disappointing features that it lacks is the read out for how many minutes you have left and how many days you have left before your service runs out. Also, instead of each text using .30 minutes, each one uses a full minute with the ZTE Valet ... I wish I had known these things before I ordered the ZTE Valet.
This is true for all of the Tracfone Androids, not just the ZTE.

Lipcrkr

What am i doing wrong? I can't use the browser or make calls. What am I missing?
My phone screen says "initial programming required". What does that mean? I can't connect to the internet or make calls.

cdog

Lipcrkr
October 17, 2013, 8:46 am
What am i doing wrong? I can't use the browser or make calls. What am i missing?
My phone screen says "initial programming required". What does that mean? I can't connect to the internet or make calls.
What happens when you dial *22890 ? Does Verizon say 'your phone has been successfully programmed' or do they indicate a problem with programming?

Lipcrkr

cdog
October 17, 2013, 9:57 am
Lipcrkr
October 17, 2013, 8:46 am
What am i doing wrong? I can't use the browser or make calls. What am i missing?
What happens when you dial *22890 ? Does Verizon say 'your phone has been successfully programmed' or do they indicate a problem with programming?
I dialed that number many times and it keeps saying i need a credit card etc. Nothing about a confirmation message. I tried the web site for tracfone, used the screen to activate, but the only phone number showing is the old. The new number shows but i can't access it because it only stays on the old. My old phone is no longer in service because the new one is. But i can't activate the new phone.
I don't get to the point of Verizon saying anything except we need your credit card.

Lipcrkr

I just "talked" to "tyra" online. She says dial 22890 (which i have done many times) and "send". there's no send button on my phone unless i missed it.
So i have to wait another 24 hours for it to be activated. Right now i have no phone to call tracfone, my closest friend is at work till midnite. Maybe i'll go to a pay phone and call 18008677183

annepani

Lipcrkr
October 17, 2013, 6:01 pm
I just "talked" to "tyra" online. She says dial 22890 (which i have done many times) and "send". there's no send button on my phone unless i missed it. So i have to wait another 24 hours for it to be activated. Right now i have no phone to call tracfone, my closest friend is at work till midnite. Maybe i'll go to a pay phone and call 18008677183
No, there is no Send key. You tap the phone icon.

Go to the online tutorial. The link to it is at the top of this thread in the very first post.
Click on Call in the lefthand column.
Follow the instructions.

By the way, you posted 22890... I believe it is *22890 (star 22890)... The * (star) is very important.

Lipcrkr

annepani
October 17, 2013, 7:02 pm
Lipcrkr
October 17, 2013, 6:01 pm
I just "talked" to "tyra" online. She says dial 22890 (which i have done many times) and "send". there's no send button on my phone unless i missed it. So i have to wait another 24 hours for it to be activated. Right now i have no phone to call tracfone, my closest friend is at work till midnite. Maybe i'll go to a pay phone and call 18008677183
No, there is no Send key. You tap the phone icon.

Go to the online tutorial. The link to it is at the top of this thread in the very first post.
Click on Call in the lefthand column.
Follow the instructions.

By the way, you posted 22890... I believe it is *22890 (star 22890)... The * (star) is very important.
Yes anne, i thought the star was a quote......LOL. I realized my mistake when talking to Tyra. Everything is OK now but i'm concerned that my signal strength is weak (1 bar, sometimes 2 bars, even though i live an area that is inhabited by about a billion people.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I just wanted to give some updated sales information about this ZTE Valet phone...

* This phone is now starting to show up at K-Mart stores (price $100) -- I saw it today at two of my K-mart stores.

* HSN.com is now selling this phone ($100) along with a free car charger and 600 minutes (like the Samsung had).

* HSN.com: http://www.hsn.com/products/zte-valet-android-tracfone-w600-minutes-text-and-data/7300052

* Ps: I also saw for the first time in stores (at K-Mart) the new Tracfone Samsung Galaxy Centura (price was $130).

ZTurkE B-)

tfuser19

Tracfone Android Balance App on Google Play Store

ST Dog

tfuser19
October 17, 2013, 12:59 am
If you find it easy to remember those 4-digits, then you don't have to enter your 10-digit phone # required using the 1st two method to get your balance.
If the phone is registered on you TF account, and you login to the TF site you don't have to enter any numbers.

Use a browser that will save the username and password (most will)
(I use the Sync function in Firefox to sync between my computers and tablet.)

Takes a few clicks, but no numbers to remember.

tracfone.com
MyAccount
(fills in user/pass) Sign In
Scroll down to the phone I want and click the Check Balance / Service End Date link
Submit

Sadly, I can't find a link to MyAccount that will ask for the User/pass without going through the home page
https://www.tracfone.com/direct/Logoff
Sort of works, but the values doesn't always auto fill. I have to tap the email field and select my address.

When it works right it's open the link. hit sign in the Check Balance for the correct phone, then submit.

YMMV

bummpr
Member Avatar

I've had my Valet for 2 days now and I am satisfied with most features as I become more familiar with the phone. Still don't feel comfortable with Android operations...not nearly as intuitive as IOS.

I had some difficulty at first with the on-screen keyboard but I'm getting used to that too.

Wi-Fi works great but 3G wireless is very slow for me..almost useless. I'll look for a speed test to find out what's happening.

I've tried to find a tethering app so I can use my iPad off the phone data connection but so far nothing has worked i.e. PdaNet. If anyone finds a tethering app that works on Android Tracfones, please let me know.

tfuser19

@ST Dog,
If the browser is smart enough to remember login/password, won't it remember the last 4 digits for you?

My Firefox remembers what I typed in the last 4 digit box when I click in the box.

Now with the new app, don't have to worry about this anymore.

I still refuse to login in, etc, etc, etc just to get my balance - no need for all that.

Lipcrkr

My balance is showing 1137 minutes. Not bad for someone who only put in 270 minutes on my new phone. Unless my minutes tripled twice, one for the 60 min card tripled (plus the minutes i already had), and for buying the new android tripled. Whatever, I'll take it......LOL.

ST Dog

tfuser19
October 18, 2013, 2:29 am
@ST Dog,
If the browser is smart enough to remember login/password, won't it remember the last 4 digits for you?
It would sometimes, but not always. Not sure why. Just like sometimes it gets the user/pass automatically, and other times I have to prompt it a bit

I did some more digging and playing with the balance check website and found the final URL

https://www.tracfone.com/direct/CheckBalance?input_phone=XXXXXXXXXX&input_esn=YYYY&balance_inquiry_button_selection=submit

With that you don't need to remember any of the numbers, they are all in the link.

May use less data than the app. May be easier to use the short cut than starting the app.

Works on other computers where the app doesn't.

cdog

After having my ZTE Valet for a couple days I like the phone; it's decent quality but should probably cost $59. (even though 3 years ago the equivalent technology would be $500!) That's ok, I still can't believe TF finally has android. But I am concerned about signal strength with this phone. Walking around with the ZTE and my wife's Samsung Galaxy Proclaim, the Samsung consistently has about 6-10 point dBm advantage. For example, if the Samsung is at -92dBm, the ZTE is at -100dBm. I haven't made enough calls yet to know if it makes a real difference, but just an observation. The wifi signal strength is also lacking on the ZTE -- my other devices seem to have a much longer range from the router.

runner

I played with the ZTE yesterday instead of returning it because I need to get a replacement for my Centura (clock keeps resetting; battery reads 100% charged after 20 hours one moment and 34% charged in a 20-hour period). The ZTE signal strength read: -90/-92 dBm 2 asu; Centura read -76 dBm/-86 dBm 2 asu. I have no clue what that means but assumed that ZTE signal was better?

I walked around my condo (I get poor signal; 3 bars at most but usually 2 bars on Samsung s390, LG 800/LG 840, just for reference) with both the ZTE and Centura and Centura was between 2-3 signal bars; ZTE at most got 1-2 bars. I don't know what this means but in case anyone is interested: ZTE EvDo rev A:6; Centura EvDo rev A:8.

Centura has a better screen than the ZTE. It's sharper. The ZTE loaded web pages (I tried this site) fairly quickly. I liked the stocked apps that you get with the ZTE much better. On ZTE, when you do voice search like "nearest Target", it will respond with "you have 10 Targets nearby". The Centura doesn't (maybe that's the function of the operating system, don't know). Also, on the ZTE, I installed 4 apps and 2 of them installed on the SD card; the other two, when I went into the app, gave me the option to "move to SD card". The stocked apps you couldn't move to the SD card.

Tarkio101

From experience I have found that some phones show less bars than others but are actually getting the same reception. The indicator is the issue. I think some manufacturers show more bars while not actually getting better reception.

Now if the phone can make and receive calls where the other cannot, that is different. But I would not put any faith in the number of bars alone. I've had phones showing no bars that still kept the call connected all the time.

tfuser19

@runner,
A smaller negative power is higher signal power than a larger negative power, so based on what you wrote the Centura is reporting a higher signal strength.

Tarkio101

Turk
October 17, 2013, 10:40 pm
* I just wanted to give some updated sales information about this ZTE Valet phone...

* This phone is now starting to show up at K-Mart stores (price $100) -- I saw it today at two of my K-mart stores.

* HSN.com is now selling this phone ($100) along with a free car charger and 600 minutes (like the Samsung had).

* HSN.com: http://www.hsn.com/products/zte-valet-android-tracfone-w600-minutes-text-and-data/7300052

* Ps: I also saw for the first time in stores (at K-Mart) the new Tracfone Samsung Galaxy Centura (price was $130).

ZTurkE B-)
Thanks for the heads up on the hsn deal.
I didn't know they had it now. It comes with the app pack of free paid apps which I like too.

tfuser19

runner
October 18, 2013, 9:30 am
The ZTE loaded web pages (I tried this site) fairly quickly. I liked the stocked apps that you get with the ZTE much better. On ZTE, when you do voice search like "nearest Target", it will respond with "you have 10 Targets nearby". The Centura doesn't (maybe that's the function of the operating system, don't know). Also, on the ZTE, I installed 4 apps and 2 of them installed on the SD card; the other two, when I went into the app, gave me the option to "move to SD card". The stocked apps you couldn't move to the SD card.
@runner:
1. You did not say how the Centura was at loading web pages?
2. On ZTE voice search responded with "you have 10 Targets nearby" - did it talk to you or show you this on a web browser or what?
3. Do you have location services turned on for the Centura? If you bring up the google maps app, does it show you where you currently are? This needs to be turned on so the Centura can show you the "nearest Target".
4. As Tarkio101 mentioned, you cannot put too much emphasis on the signal bars displayed - best to make a phone call and verify sound quality and connection is not dropped.

tfuser19

Tarkio101
October 18, 2013, 10:16 am
Thanks for the heads up on the hsn deal. I didn't know they had it now. It comes with the app pack of free paid apps which I like too.
@Tarkio101,
What is this "app pack of free paid apps" you are referring to?

runner

tfuser19: They both load pages about the same. I just check the setting for gps: google location service on and location&google search on (this was probably the default on my phone since I haven't changed that setting).

On ZTE: when I say nearest target, the phone will say "there are 10 Targets nearby" (or something to that effect) and will bring up the searches; on Centura it will bring up the searches (no talking/responding). I even asked what's euro and it would give me the answer along with the definition of euro on the web page; the Centura only brings up the web page. I just thought the feature was neat.

As far as the cell talk signal strength from my experience there was no difference whether the phone was activated or not: if the phone had 2-3 bars unactivated, it did not change when activated. I couldn't use the LG 800 because absolutely no bar; Tracfone sent me a replacement and the same. Luckily, I saw Samsung 390 which I got. I currently have all those phones and they're all unactivated but the signal strength is exactly how it was when it was activated. When I got 1 bar while talking on LG 840, the call would breakup and I would eventually lose the call. I am able to make a call and the quality isn't bad on 2 bars. I have home phone but I would eventually like to get rid of it.

The Centura call quality is good.

tfuser19

@runner,
That is pretty neat if the ZTE actually voices/talks back to you - that is what you are saying it does - correct? Not a peep out of the Centura as far as talking back goes.

I was able to make a call the other day on the Centura with 0 bars showing and the call quality and connection was good. The call lasted a bit over a minute.

Tarkio101

They include a pack of 6 apps that free with the phone phone. One is a year of SOS online backup, there is an officepprogram, an improved functality gps app, and some others. If you click on Turks link to hsn and scroll down you will see the list. You may have to click on "more details" or something similar. They include these with many of the android phones and tablets.

JJC

4.1 jellybean has google now which has talk back, not 4.0(centura)

ST Dog

JJC
October 18, 2013, 3:56 pm
Google only supports it on JB/4.1+

But, if you are willing to root there are ways to get it (mostly) working on ICS.

Here's one. Read the FAQ in the second post for more on known issues.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1747224

Lost more info on XDA-Developers if you start following the linked threads.

Lipcrkr

HELP! I tried using the voice feedback but now i can't get back in to get back to normal. I can't shut the phone off, when pressing the unlock/lock key it still doesn't let me back in. I like the ladies voice but enough is enough, i've fallen and can't get back up!

Zef

JJC
This video has a pretty good comparison of Android 4.0 vs 4.1 including Google now...
http://youtu.be/YAKk_ffjwC8

Lipcrkr

Zef
October 18, 2013, 6:28 pm
JJC
This video has a pretty good comparison of Android 4.0 vs 4.1 including Google now...
http://youtu.be/YAKk_ffjwC8
Zef, how do i get the voice to NOT talk back? I can't do anything with my phone now, everything is by voice. It won't even power off, i re-installed the battery it's still the same.

ciliegia

HSN is selling this week-end the ZTE Valet Android TF with 600 minutes for $99.95. Here's a link to the site:
http://www.hsn.com/products/zte-valet-android-tracfone-w600-minutes-text-and-data/7300052

Sheryl

PS...personally I'm waiting for the price to come down further. I don't need the 600 minutes and I don't have to renew my annual minute contract until April.

Lipcrkr

I'm returning the Valet and will re-activate my LG 840. I don't need a data phone and i'm sick of the voice, it's giving me a headache. Nonstop female voice telling me what the time is etc. The green bar around the screen is permanent, so i will permanently go back to my LG 840 which was fine all along.

Tech
Member Avatar

Lipcrkr
October 18, 2013, 9:29 pm
I'm returning the Valet and will re-activate my LG 840. I don't need a data phone and i'm sick of the voice, it's giving me a headache. Nonstop female voice telling me what the time is etc. The green bar around the screen is permanent, so i will permanently go back to my LG 840 which was fine all along.
Try double tapping all of the paths that take you to the talkback settings. Are you single tapping? Also use two finger swipe....

Lipcrkr

Tech
October 19, 2013, 2:21 am
Lipcrkr
October 18, 2013, 9:29 pm
Try double tapping all of the paths that take you to the talkback settings. Are you single tapping? Also use two finger swipe....
Thanks Tech, unfortunately my phone froze so i can't do anything because it's locked out. I tried pinching, double tapping, etc. I can't even shut the phone off, when i get to the only other screen that allows me to do it (restart, power mode, airplane) nothing happens. All i hear is a woman's voice. The screen is highlighted in green/yellow around the edges.
I will bring it back and maybe exchange it for one more. I am considering trying for the Huawai Glory but i don't think they are in Best Buy yet.
I currently have no phone. I still have my LG 840 but i transferred my minutes to the ZTE. I feel like i'm in the Twilight Zone and in the presence of "Talking Tina".

runner

Jk& ST Dog: Thanks for the info on the goole now. It's a nice feature but I know it's something I won't miss.

Lipcrkr: I already returned the ZTE yesterday; I only played with the voice commands not more than a few minutes.

Have you tested out the Centura? Although it has 800 mHz processor, I felt the Centura was the better device between the ZTE and Centura. The ZTE has more "stuff" (i.e., better stocked apps like notepad which also transcribed perfectly the two sentences I dictated) and on paper seems like a much better device but I just thought the Centura performed better and felt like a better built device.

Lipcrkr

runner
October 19, 2013, 8:48 am
Jk& ST Dog: Thanks for the info on the goole now. It's a nice feature but I know it's something I won't miss.

Lipcrkr: I already returned the ZTE yesterday; I only played with the voice commands not more than a few minutes.

Have you tested out the Centura? Although it has 800 mHz processor, I felt the Centura was the better device between the ZTE and Centura. The ZTE has more "stuff" (i.e., better stocked apps like notepad which also transcribed perfectly the two sentences I dictated) and on paper seems like a much better device but I just thought the Centura performed better and felt like a better built device.
Runner, i first considered the Centura, but i didn't want to pay $30 more which is probably because it's a Samsung. I will be with a couple of friends in about an hour and i will call Tracfone (i don't have a phone, will use their's) and see if anything can be done. They gave me a pin #.
If nothing can be done i will return it and probably exchange it for the Huawai. The Huawai is the same price as the Valet. I love Samsung, i have an HDTV Sammy as an example, but for a Tracfone i think $100 or less is more than reasonable.

annepani

Lipcrkr
October 19, 2013, 1:12 pm
runner
October 19, 2013, 8:48 am

Runner, i first considered the Centura, but i didn't want to pay $30 more which is probably because it's a Samsung. I will be with a couple of friends in about an hour and i will call Tracfone (i don't have a phone, will use their's) and see if anything can be done. They gave me a pin #.
If nothing can be done i will return it and probably exchange it for the Huawai. The Huawai is the same price as the Valet. I love Samsung, i have an HDTV Sammy as an example, but for a Tracfone i think $100 or less is more than reasonable.
Hi. If you really love Samsung, the Centura is available on ebay from shopcelldeals for only $105.00 (after their automatic $5 discount).

I hate to see you settle for less than your 1st choice for just $5. And remember that shopcelldeals does not charge sales tax. So you might end up paying less for the Samsung on ebay with shopcelldeals than either of the other 2 if you buy them in a retail store.

Phone alone:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Centura-Android-Smartphone-Tracfone-Triple-Minutes_Phones

and bundled with 600 minutes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Centura-Android-with-600-Minutes-Text-Data-Included-Tracfone_Phones

tfuser19

If you factor that you can return the phone to hsn.com if you don't like it, plus car charger, $25 Google Play card, protector, 600/600/600...
Centura hsn.com is a better deal even @ $150
http://www.hsn.com/products/samsung-galaxy-centura-android-tracfone-wgoogle-play/7260446 vs from shopcelldeals.

Lipcrkr

I returned the Valet back to Best Buy. The Target stores, although they said the Huawai was "in Stock", were never in stock according to the clerk. So i decided to pick up the last Valet at BB.
The Valet is a nice phone, i think the best Android Tracfone (there are some issues surrounding the Huawai and the Centura) is the Valet. The Valet (when not defective) is something that i can comfortably live with. I am a light "minute" user. I hardly ever text, so i also bought a $20 data card (750) plus the amount i already had, and since the data never expires, this will last me a long, long time.
Now i can continue to download some apps, get ready to use the camera, and hopefully i'll never ever hear that woman's voice again......LOL.

the Wizard
Member Avatar

Lipcrkr,

Let us know what you think of the Valet. I currently have the Huawei Glory that I'm trying out but I think I'm leaning towards the Valet based on what I've read. The fact that it has Android 4.1 as opposed to 4.04 in the Glory is important to me. Lots of extra features (e.g., Google Now) come with 4.1.

zack

I'm really interested in either the ZTE Valet or the Samsung Galaxy Centura. I really prefer the features of the Valet (mostly the 4.1 OS and faster processor) over the Samsung but the wifi on the Valet concerns me as I'd prefer a phone with good wifi range for a variety of reasons. Can anyone add to the comments so far that the Valet seems to have noticably less wifi range than the Samsung? I know the Samsung has a potential clock issue but I have to be believe that at some point that will be fixed. The extra features on the Valet seem too good to pass up but weak wifi is a deal breaker I'm afraid. I appreciate any input. I'm itching to pull the trigger on probably one or the other. Thanks.

bummpr
Member Avatar

Zack, after all this time, I'm not sure you can count on Tracfone or Samsung to fix the clock issue. This has been reported on this phone long before it became available as a Tracfone device.

I did get the ZTE Valet and must say that I am liking it more as I use it and learn more about Android. I purchased because it was 1)cheaper 2)faster 3) more current version of Android than the Samsung. Because it has Jelly Bean installed, it can run most current version of many apps (especially Google apps).

I was blown away when I discovered I could use voice to write messages or dial phone numbers rather than using the screen keyboard...although I got better with the keyboard as I used it more often.

I have had no problems with WiFi connections. I think the strength of signal using the number of bars lit is a really bogus issue when comparing two different devices. I've done speedtest.net tests on both this phone and my iPads and iPods and the phone is only 20% slower than my iDevices and my laptops.

3G data connection speeds are underwhelming but I doubt this has anything to do with this phone but is true for anyone who must use this level of connectivity rather than 4G LTE.

Overall, I think the phone is worth the money but would be even better at $80. After all, this is not a high-end device but is more than adequate for this market and surprisingly robust when you look at the features it does have and the apps that you can run with it.

Lipcrkr

For me the Valet is exactly what i need, enough minutes to sustain for 3/4 months. I hardly text but again, it's there for me if i want it. The data, i have about a half gig when i need it. I don't text or use the browser at Home. I only use the data away from home and it's just to check scores, news, etc. My HDTV and PC are connected, so no use in using the phone for data, that's why all my sources are "off". The only reason to use my phone at home is receiving and making calls.
I use my PC to get to my current minutes and data so when i leave the house i will have an idea of what's available. I know for a fact that when leaving the house i will have enough min/data to cover me twofold in January when my next card is due. Then i will get another 60 x 3 = 180 card to hold me over for another 3/4 months.
This isn't brain surgery. The Tracfone, even with the data cards, are NOT for people who like to talk on the phone for hours, not for those that text needless things to say, or those that like to browse on the Internet at youtube or watch a 2 hr movie. I am on the Internet and watch TV at the same time for as long as i'm awake. My phone is beside me, but everything else is "off" (like right now). Tomorrow morning when i go out for about 6 hours, i will have my data "on". I probably won't have to call anybody and probably won't get any calls simply because of E-Mail. If someone wants to e-mail me or if i want to e-mail someone else outside of my home then i have that option.
I used to have a prepaid Virgin Mobile and prepaid A.T.T. and still have my prepaid LG 840 Tracfone. But with VM and ATT and most of the other prepaid companies, the phones are not desirable unless you have to pay a monthly fee. The cheapest IMO is VM, where you can get an upscale phone but for $35 a month, or Net10/Straight Talk for about $45 a month.
I don't need to pay that much for what i need the phone for. With the Tracfone LG 840 it fulfilled my needs as a place to get/receive calls and the camera, which i have had wonderful results posting online. I will be going to Vegas in a couple of weeks for 6 days. I plan to take pics/videos on the Valet to try out the zoom, taking pics DURING videos, etc. I know the 3 meg pixel camera is nothing to write home about, but i have had numerous people online say they loved the pics/videos and that was with a 2 pixel on the LG 840. The Valet will probably be better and although i've never seen the Sammy Centura, from what i heard and read the camera has less features than the Valet (flash, dedicated button etc).
I love the LG 840, but one thing it missed was having the ability to check ESPN, or review my local news ( don't bring up java browsers, or that minutes would be subtracted etc. on the 840). At least now, when i'm not home, i can do some stuff online and know that my minutes will be safe, and my data, which i only use outside of my home, will be safe for another 3/4 months. I spent lots of money on my 55" HDTV and my Computer to hookup together, that's why i have a Tracfone to save me money on unnecessary bills that i don't need.
Tracfone isn't for everyone, in fact it isn't for most people, especially for youngsters who use the phone day in day out, but for people like me, who was happy with the LG 840 and now with the little extra kick with the Valet......it more than fulfills my needs.
By the way, the 3G usually only reads about 2 bars, sometimes 3, sometimes 1, but never have i not had a clean connection. People have responded by saying my connection has bean clean and sober since i gave up my land line a couple of years ago.

Fisha695

So I'm thinking about picking this up for Christmas (well maybe get one of my relatives to get it for me since they always say they never know what to get me haha), haven't had a working phone since my activation ran out 2 years ago and I'm just feeling it's time for a new one. I don't really talk just mainly text (which with this being Android it means I can use things like kik on my WiFi) however I have one question that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, is it possible to use the camera flash as a flashlight (be it through native phone function or some app)? Work on cars & racecars so it'd be nice to have a flashlight in my pocket all the time.

zack

Thanks for the thought on and evaluations of the Valet, they really help a lot. I was pretty sure the phone to get is the Valet and you've all convinced me. As much as I like Samsung products I can't see paying more for a phone with a known issue and less features. I really was concerned about the wifi on the Valet, I was hoping that the phone had strong enough reception to pick up a signal at various public places where there is free wifi available without having to figure out where the signal was coming from and sit right next to it which is kind of the impression I was getting. Sounds like a nice little phone, it's time to go shopping. Thanks again.

Tarkio101

Fisha695
October 21, 2013, 9:41 pm
So I'm thinking about picking this up for Christmas (well maybe get one of my relatives to get it for me since they always say they never know what to get me haha), haven't had a working phone since my activation ran out 2 years ago and I'm just feeling it's time for a new one. I don't really talk just mainly text (which with this being Android it means I can use things like kik on my WiFi) however I have one question that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, is it possible to use the camera flash as a flashlight (be it through native phone function or some app)? Work on cars & racecars so it'd be nice to have a flashlight in my pocket all the time.
Yes, there are free android apps that turn a phone flash into a flashlight that will stay on. They have worked on previous phones I've had. I can't imagine that they would not work on this phone as well.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
October 22, 2013, 1:54 am
Fisha695
Yes, there are free android apps that turn a phone flash into a flashlight that will stay on. They have worked on previous phones I've had. I can't imagine that they would not work on this phone as well.
I agree with Tarkio101. I have a flashlight app from Google Play on a Samsung Android that has a camera flash and runs Gingerbread.
It works perfectly. So, I can't imagine why one of the free flashlight apps on Google Play wouldn't work on the ZTE Valet, too.

ShadowDancer :)

Joeb84

ShadowDancer
October 22, 2013, 2:23 am
Tarkio101
October 22, 2013, 1:54 am
Fisha695
I agree with Tarkio101. I have a flashlight app from Google Play on a Samsung Android that has a camera flash and runs Gingerbread.
It works perfectly. So, I can't imagine why one of the free flashlight apps on Google Play wouldn't work on the ZTE Valet, too.

ShadowDancer :)
I just installed the "Super Bright Led Flashlight" from Google Play. It was the first one listed. It works great on the Valet.
This is great for us gals trying to dig through our purses looking for our keys. Thanks for the heads up. Josie

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.