Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: ... How many motor vehicles do you own?...(that includes cars, trucks, vans, motorcycles)
0 vehicles
1 vehicle
2 vehicles
3 vehicles
4 or more vehicles
create a poll
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Tracfone) ZTE Valet (Z665C) Phone Topic
Topic Started: September 26, 2013, 5:18 pm (66,629 Views)
tfuser19

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts, or questions on this phone, please post it all here ... thanks.

* Attention Turkamaniacs: Tracfone Promotion Codes do not work with the new Tracfone Android Phones.

* Tracfone ZTE Valet Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?custId=TFZEZ665C

* Located in the Topics Forum: Tracfone/Net10 - Apps for Androids - we discuss different apps for android devices.

Posted Image
Tracfone ZTE Valet Z665C Android 4.1 Tutorial / User's Guide

ZTE Valet's product overview and specs page for the Valet Z666C

Reported seen by someone on a different forum:

"Went to Best Buy today and saw this phone for sale... You could tell it was new as the peg didn't even have the
barcode or price on it. Asked for a price check and was told it's $99.99. Phone comes with a 4 gig micro sd card.
Maybe that means the phone has low internal memory? I thought the trend was to bump up the internal memory
and avoid including a memory card? It was Android 4.1.

Phone has the new packaging. It does not say "CDMA-V" like before. On the back cover I did see just "CDMA."
Don't know why they went back to trying to hide the carrier. Anyway, on the inside flap it presented all the rate
plans which match with what we know already: 180/180/180, 360/360/360, 600/600/600, etc. ..."

Please post if you find anymore information. :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ST Dog

Dang, the BB is one way, and the little BB Mobile store is the other.

Hate to burn that much time to check both.

What say ye, full store or the mobile shop?

BTW, not listed on the website yet.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Here's a link to the ZTE Valet (Z665C) specs:

http://theinformr.com/cell-phones/zte-valet/specs/

I feel that this list is somewhat more comprehensive than the list in Tracfone's tutorial.

ShadowDancer :)

annepani

ST Dog
September 26, 2013, 5:42 pm
Dang, the BB is one way and the little BB Mobile store is the other. Hate to burn that much time to check both.
What say ye, full store or the mobile shop? ... BTW, not listed on the website yet.
I say, call them both and see who has it. (Also ask if they have the Centura.)
If both stores have the ZTE, pick the store that might have better accessories like case, etc.

Report back on what you think of the phone. See how it compares to the Centura.
See if it includes a Google Play card like the Net10 Centura did when it first hit Kmarts a couple of months ago.

Thanks for sleuthing.

tfuser19

@ShadowDancer

Man, I might have to think about returning the S738C now ..... c'mon HSN, run a special on these now. :)

Resolution: 480 x 800 pixels ......... S738C resolution is 320x480 .

Side-by-side spec comparison between Z665C and S738C

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

tfuser19 --

Yes, if you go through the specs of both phones and compare them, the ZTE Valet does indeed have a few specs
that appear to be an improvement over the Samsung Galaxy Centura -- i.e. Android 4.1 (jelly bean), a little faster
processor, etc.

I'm just wondering about the quality of a ZTE phone compared to the quality of a Samsung phone.

Tarkio101

ZTE has been making phone for a long time. Most of their phones that make it stateside are lower end, but they
are a quality manufacturer... They are not a newcomer and are not a maker of strictly lower end phones either.

They are the 5th largest smartphone maker in the world... I don't know about this phone in particular, but as a
company, ZTE is up there in my book. They are much larger than many brands that are more widely known in
the US. Just my opinion... This is the one phone I was considering if I hadn't gotten the good HSN deal on the
Centura.

I think it has several advantages over the low end Samsungs, mostly the ones named above.

tfuser19

They got the display spec wrong for the LG 840G...

http://theinformr.com/cell-phones/lg-840g/specs/

It's 240x320 not 320x480 ...... wonder if the previous comparison link I posted has errors in those specs ?

tracuser

I think the S738C bundle was still a good buy if this is going for $100. I've been playing around with the Samsung
since I got it today and it is a snappy device with a good screen... I'm not even sure at that size screen if 400x800
would be noticeably different.

I'll plan on keeping the Samsung for a year or two and upgrade to something a lot better than what they are
launching with now.

ST Dog

Just the ZTE, none of the others... No Google card (only one of a dozen Net10 boxes had the sticker either).

More, bigger pics here

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

I just checked the ZTE Valet manual from this website: http://www.gsmarc.com/zte/valet/manual/

According to the user manual on page 43, the display specifications are: 320 X 480 on a 3.5-inch screen.

So, the above specs are NOT correct. In other words, the ZTE Valet has the exact same screen resolution
as the Samsung Galaxy Centura.

Sharp eyes, tfuser19!

ShadowDancer ^o)

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

ST Dog --

Thanks for sharing your BB photos!

This is the first I've seen the official Tracfone display explanation of its new data cards.

This is very useful.

tfuser19

@ShadowDancer,

Thanks! ... I'll sleep better now knowing that the S738C does not have a lower resolution.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* tfuser19 .... thanks for starting up this phone topic -- you beat me to it -- I was going to make it up a few days ago.

* ST Dog ... hi ... thanks for going to Best Buy and taking all those pictures of this new phone... it is appreciated.

* I'm gonna have to try swinging by a few of my Best Buys this weekend to see if they have any of these new phones in.

* Thanks everyone for all the info about this new Tracfone android ... things are heating up even more now! (lol) ;)

The "T" in ZTE stands for Turk B-)

ciliegia

Stopped by the local BB Mobile shop and saw the phone... Cost: $99 with nothing extra (minutes, google card, etc),
but does do the triple bucket thing. The phone can have added up to a 32gb micro disc. It comes w/a 4gb micro disk
and the BB guy believes there is 1gb already in the phone. The phone had a nice feel to it..good weight..and it came
with Android 4.1 system. Incidentally, they do not have the Samsung Centura.

tfuser19

Whomever is the first to buy one, please let us know how it is. :) What's the 4GB microSD worth ... about $6?
16GB going for about $11 on Amazon.com. I'm curious to know what brand/class the microSD is also.. Thanks!

cjon71

This would explain the drop in their price of the LG 840G.

tfuser19

The new ZTE Valet and the Samsung Galaxy Centura are now on Tracfone's website if you use the CDMA
zip code 51355 or try clicking on the link below.

http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?action=v&TR&market=CO&gotoPhonelist=true&AID

They all showed out of stock for me, but says "Item will ship in 1 week."

$130 for Centura and $100 for ZTE ....... I wonder why the huge price difference.

tfuser19

ZTE Valet's product overview and specs page for the Valet Z666C

Tracfancier

Shop cell deals now has the Valet for sale:
http://stores.ebay.com/shopcelldeals/_i.html?_nkw=tracfone+ZTE+Valet&submit=Search&_sid=161278661

Need a TMFL airtime generator?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manufacturer-Refurbished-LG-505C-Triple-Minutes-Tracfone-/151118910983?

ciliegia

Tracfancier
October 2, 2013, 3:51 pm
Shop cell deals now has the Valet for sale:
http://stores.ebay.com/shopcelldeals/_i.html?_nkw=tracfone+ZTE+Valet&submit=Search&_sid=161278661

If you look closely at the Shopcelldeals store on ebay, you'll also notice that the Samsung is, also, on sale:
$129 with the 600 minutes...just as it was on HSN. It looks as if the prices may be beginning to come down.
This is what I'm hoping... especially as we get into November.
I haven't yet purchased a phone, but I'm extremely interested in it, specifically, these two.. Can someone explain, in
simple terms, the difference between the two (w/o going to the specs)? I saw the Valet in BestBuy Mobile and it had
a good feel to it.

From what little I understand of the specs (and I'm not a tech person, just someone who loves technology), the Valet
seems to have a better internal memory than the Centura.

tfuser19

From someone on a different forum who bought this phone:

"I actually bought a ZTE valet from Bestbuy this afternoon--promptly returned it this evening... The valet is so slow in
just about everything, browsing web is like pulling teeth. App switching has noticeable lag. And the screen is terrible,
the fonts look fuzzy. Just as a comparison: I bought from eBay a new LG Optimus Elite, 800Mhz single core processor,
running Gingerbread Android 2.3.7, much better screen and much more responsive, much lighter/thinner than the ZTE
and it only cost me $50.

My recommendation is to try the Samsung Centura. I have a feeling that for these low-end smartphones, older versions
of Android might be better in terms of responsiveness."

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* ciliegia ... the Valet and Centura are pretty much the same all around ... the only few differences is that the Valet
* has a little faster (engine) processor, and also has a newer 4.1 android operating system, where as the Centura
* has the 4.0 android operating system ... that's pretty much it, in a nutshell .. ;)
---------------------------------------

* tfuser19 .... thanks for all the info and updates you posted above over the last few days about this phone.
* I stopped by two of my closest Best Buy stores in the last few days and neither of them had the Valet in stock yet.

* Some members on here are saying that the Valet ($100) is on sale for $80 at their Best Buys/Mobile this week.
* I was hoping to have the Valet at my Best Buys cause I would of bought it for $80 and tested it out for us on here.

* And if I really liked it, I might have just kept it for the $80 and started using it as my main Tracfone.
* If I can get any of the three phones (Centura, Glory, Valet) on sale for $80 or less, I'd probably buy one and use it.

Valeturk B-)

JJC

That is interesting to know about the ZTE VALET performance since I was considering it. It is my main concern
about the new Tracfone android phones... I thought it would be faster than the Centura since its 200mhz faster.

Users on here are saying the Centura is responsive, but the Valet runs like a dog?

tfuser19

@Turk,
Glad to help with the info I can find.
So, that was just one person's opinion on the phone. It would be great to see more feedback.

I really wanna see you get an Android man. :) How about using a coupon to buy it on Tracfone through bigcrumbs
where you get 21% off? That should get you down to your $80 target price if you don't find it at a local Best Buy.

I'm not sure about all the details ........ hey annepani, does that sound right?

I wonder how long before HSN.com has these on a sale.

Tracfone website says "Item will ship in 1 week. You will receive a confirmation via email once the item has shipped."

Tech
Member Avatar

I'm going to pick one of these up in the next few days. De-crappify it and see how it runs.

I think this is a going to be a better device than the Samsung once all of that is done.

tfuser19

Tech
October 3, 2013, 1:30 am
I'm going to pick one of these up in the next few days. De-crappify it and see how it runs.
I think this is a going to be a better device than the Samsung once all of that is done.
@Tech,
You won't really know unless you buy the S738C also and do a side-by-side video for us. :)

Jon

Can this phone download apps like Skype or whatsapp, like a real android phone does?

I am currently using LG 840g under AT&T, how do I check if this phone works in my area?

I never use a Verizon phone before.

Thanks.

tfuser19

@Jon,
Yes you can install real Android apps from the Play Store to this phone which is really running Android 4.1. :)

Piqutchi

I was thinking of getting this phone sometime.

How exactly does it compare to the Galaxy Centura, Optimus Dynamic (or whatever the LG was named),
or the Huawei Glory?

tfuser19

@all,
The phone's built in SD RAM has limited space.

What else can we put onto an external microSD card aside from pictures (you can configure the camera to use
external the external microSD card), music, etc.

Without rooting, is there anything we can redirect or move over to the external microSD card aside from pictures
and any extra stuff we copy onto the phone?

Tech
Member Avatar

tfuser19
October 3, 2013, 1:44 am
Tech
October 3, 2013, 1:30 am
@Tech,
You won't really know unless you buy the S738C also and do a side-by-side video for us. :)
I'm not really interested in comparison. This one has a newer os. I think it's probably running useless junk that
isn't needed is why the other poster thought it was laggy. That can be solved quite easily.

Plus who the heck wants a blue phone (Samsung Centura)? :blink: I know I don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXw6znXPfy4

tfuser19

@Tech,

How do you figure out what's useless junk? Do you have any examples? Blue phone?
My Centura is not blue - and you can buy any color cover and change the color in a msec. :)
Maybe I could de-crappify my Centura too and make it run like the ZTE Valet. :)

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* tfuser19 ... don't worry about me getting a Tracfone android - I'll get one soon enough, just waiting for sales, that's all.

* Plus, I rather buy one from a local store, so in case I don't like it, I can just return it there ... I prefer not buying online.

* Just want to say thanks to everyone so far that has posted information or news about this ZTE phone ... thanks. ;)

ZTE Turk B-)

ST Dog

tfuser19
October 3, 2013, 8:34 pm
How do you figure out what's useless junk?
Look at the list of running processes, find out what each is, and kill off what you don't need.

A lot of trial and error too... The Centura probably has a lot of junk on it too.

Quote:

which is really running Android 4.0.4
Supposed to be running 4.1 (JB not ICS) per the packaging and the specs you linked:

http://www.zteusa.com/phones/zte-valet.html

tfuser19

ST Dog, Thanks ! I fixed it. Had Centura on the mind.

Dan.d74

I have a camera question. Does the ZTE Valet's camera have a flash? Some specs say yes and some say no.
If it does can you use the flash with video also. Can you take sequential photos? If you hold down the shutter
button can you take multiple photos like on an iPhone? It mentions a mirror next to the lens. Is that for selfles.
How's the quality... TIA

Piqutchi

At ZTE's website, it looks like there is a flash right next to the camera on the rear.

tfuser19

You can turn off the camera shutter tone with the ZTE Valet Z665C, but not with the Samsung Centura ... and it has
a loud, annoying shutter sound ..... so if that's important to you consider it.

If anyone buys this ZTE, let us know how well the camera flash works.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

The ZTE Valet (Z665C) is now available on the Best Buy website:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?page&Global+Categories&ks=saas&keys=keys&st=zte+valet

Price is $99.99.

annepani

ShadowDancer
October 6, 2013, 11:01 am
The ZTE Valet (Z665C) is now available on the Best Buy website... Price is $99.99.
Hi ShadowDancer,

Thanks for the update. This has been available on the shelves at Best Buy and Best Buy Mobile for over a week.
Glad to see it is finally showing up on the website.

Now let's keep an eye for the Huawei!

the Wizard
Member Avatar

Yeah, I am definitely interested in the Huawei unit.. Seems to have about the same features as the Samsung and
ZTE phone plus it offers an FM radio which is a great feature to have on my walks. I've noticed that the Valet can't
function as a hot spot. I'm hoping the Huawei can but I'm not too hopeful.

Below

I got my ZTE Valet on Saturday... I ordered it from ShopCellDeals... as usual, they have the best prices.
My phone is not activated yet, so I can't comment on anything phone related (issues with Tracfone), but I
can talk about the device. I haven't used an Android phone or device before though, so keep that in mind.

Unmodified space statistics:
Internal memory: 2.34gb.
84.75mb used for apps
43.07mb used for MISC
Available: 2.22gb
Wondering about the SD card? It's as cheap as they get - Toshiba 4GB CLASS 4 SDHC.

The battery is 1500mah.
Posted Image

Nobody will be buying it for performance, but somebody will be wondering anyways:
Posted Image

Screen quality is ok. Don't think it's IPS, but the variation at different angles doesn't shift too dramatically.
Touch quality is good, though sometimes I feel like it should be more sensitive. Like when I go to click install at
the Google play store, I need to click it 2 or 3 times sometimes.

Crappy default ringtones and sounds. I just hate them. Maybe that's just Android though. Same for wallpapers,
not many to choose. Vibration is turned on for the phone by default. Lock screen is a button you push and hold,
or expand for quick access to phone, mail, etc.

Haven't used the camera much but I am disappointed that it's still non autofocus... Does Tracfone even care?
Yes, the camera has flash though. I could maybe try to take some pictures tomorrow with it and post samples,
but from what I saw on the screen, it looks like the same exact thing all past phones had.

Not sure what else to say.

Joeb84

Well, Saturday I picked up the ZTE Valet from Best Buy, because I am not pleased with the clock issue on the Centura. Here are my impressions. First the cons. The startup time is a little slower on the Valet than on the Centura. You have to press and hold the circle on the screen to unlock the phone, unlike the Centura where you swipe to unlock. If you swipe the circle on the Valet you can select from phone, email, calendar and volume for instant access, which is nice and convenient. The screen is not quite as sharp as the Centura, but I increased the brightness, which seemed to make it look better. Also, the volume is slightly lower on the Valet than on the Centura, but only slightly. Overall, these issues I find doable.
Registration was quick and easy. I transferred over my number and all my minutes (including the 600 minutes I got from HSN). YAY!!!! I also still have my $25 google play store credit. Sorry about that HSN. LOL
The phone I find is quick and responsive. The phone calls are crisp and clear. Internet surfing is fast. The GPS works nicely and found my location quickly. I was able to navigate using turn by turn and spoken directions. Mind you, I only tried this in my house using wifi. Video, like Youtube, played very well without any lag. The camera is nice and the flash is nice for low light conditions. I will give a complete review on the camera in my next post. It has some nice added apps, too. It has notepad and something called Mi-Power, which tells you at a glance how much battery power you have left. One app in particular I love is called Full Share. By turning it on you can access your computer over wifi on the phone. You can find your pictures, music and videos on your computer and play and download them right to your phone. I really like this app. The phone also came with a 4g sd card that was placed in the phone.
Well, all and all, I am pleased with this phone. I would have kept the Centura, if it had not been for the clock losing time. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Joeb84

Dan.d74
October 5, 2013, 9:34 am
I have a camera question. Does the ZTE Valet's camera have a flash? Some specs say yes and some say no.
If it does can you use the flash with video also. Can you take sequential photos? If you hold down the shutter
button can you take multiple photos like on an iPhone? It mentions a mirror next to the lens. Is that for selfles.
How's the quality... TIA
I like the camera on this phone very much compared to the Centura. First off this camera does have a flash, which is good for low light conditions. It is not a room filling flash by any means. I would say at MOST it would be 3 feet, probably more like 2 in front of you, but it does the job. You have the option to turn the flash on and off and yes you can use the flash while videotaping as well. The flash stays on continuously while you take a video. One thing I love about this camera is the dedicated shutter button. You can hold the camera nice and steady and press the button for a more clearer pic. I found touching the camera icon on the screen made me move the camera slightly, resulting in some blurred pics. It does have a camera icon on the screen also, but I like using the button. By pressing and holding that button it will take you directly into camera mode also. On the back next to the lens there is also a little teeny, tiny mirror for selfies. You better have good eyes to use that. Thankfully, I could see it, but just barely, LOL There are 3 shutter tones you can chose from as well as turning it off altogether. The pics were pretty sharp, but I thought had a little bluish tinge to them, so I changed the setting in white balance to cloudy, which seemed to warm them up some. There are a lot of camera settings that you can change (picture size, white balance, image and iso and more) to customized it to your liking. There are also editing tools to crop and so on your pic. One feature I thought was nice was you can capture a pic while shooting video with no interruption to that video. I though that was a great feature on such a low end phone. The video resolution on the phone is only VGA, but they looked fine. All and all I like the camera.

muddy211

@Joeb84

Thanks for a great review... ^_^

tfuser19

@Below,
How did you generate that phone comparison chart? Wondering where the Centura fits in there.

@Joeb84,
Nice review. Phone time change driving me nuts on Centura. Anything you miss or found better on the Centura vs Z665C?
Who makes the 4GB microSD that came with the phone and what class # is it?

annepani

Joeb84
October 7, 2013, 2:57 pm
Well, Saturday I picked up the ZTE Valet from Best Buy, because I am not pleased with the clock issue on the
Centura... Well, all and all, I am pleased with this phone. I would have kept the Centura, if it had not been for
the clock losing time.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.
Are you saying out and out that except for the clock issue you would have kept the Centura and never even looked
at the ZTE? Or to put it another way, you prefer the Centura to the ZTE except for the one issue with the clock?

I have another question for you, purely theoretical. If Centura were the only Android that Tracfone offered, and there
were no others on the horizon -- no ZTE, no Huawei and no LG --would you still have returned the Centura or would
you have kept it and just figured out how to live with the faulty clock?

Joeb84

Thanks muddy211 and tfuser19. The sd card is the same as Below posted, 4gb micro sd class 4 by Toshiba.
It came installed on the phone. I'm still playing with the phone, but if I notice anything else, I will definitely post it.
I want to set up my voicemail and try the Bluetooth with my speakers.

tfuser19

Joeb84
October 7, 2013, 6:00 pm
Thanks muddy211 and tfuser19. The sd card is the same as Below posted, 4gb micro sd class 4 by Toshiba.
It came installed on the phone. I'm still playing with the phone, but if I notice anything else, I will definitely post it.
I want to set up my voicemail and try the Bluetooth with my speakers.
Oooops -_- , sorry, I missed the SD card info in Below's post - and thanks for confirming you have the same card.

Tarkio101

Thanks for the good info Joeb... Very useful.
I appreciate your thoroughness in your descriptions. They are very helpful to me.

Joeb84

annepani
October 7, 2013, 5:52 pm
Joeb84
October 7, 2013, 2:57 pm
Well, Saturday I picked up the ZTE Valet from Best Buy, because I am not pleased with the clock issue on the
Centura... Well, all and all, I am pleased with this phone. I would have kept the Centura, if it had not been for
the clock losing time.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.
Are you saying out and out that except for the clock issue you would have kept the Centura and never even looked
at the ZTE? Or to put it another way, you prefer the Centura to the ZTE except for the one issue with the clock?

I have another question for you, purely theoretical. If Centura were the only Android that Tracfone offered, and there
were no others on the horizon -- no ZTE, no Huawei and no LG --would you still have returned the Centura or would
you have kept it and just figured out how to live with the faulty clock?
That's a tough question. The clock issue is definitely the reason I am returning it. My feeling is if the clock doesn't
work right and it is a hardware issue, what else might go wrong with the phone down the line. I don't want to have
to replace it in six months or in my case 2 weeks. LOL I just don't trust it. I did like the Centura, but after getting the
ZTE Valet, I like it better for some reason. It seems more intuitive to me, if that makes sense... So I guess it worked
out for the best.

Joeb84

Tarkio101
October 7, 2013, 7:33 pm
Thanks for the good info Joeb... Very useful.
I appreciate your thoroughness in your descriptions. They are very helpful to me.
Thank you... If you have any other questions, I will try and answer them to the best of my ability.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Below and Joeb84 .... thanks you two for the good info and updates about this phone so far, it is appreciated. ;)

* You two have answered almost all of my initial questions I had about this phone so far... but I do have one to ask.

* Does this ZTE phone have adobe flash player? ... like, can you play videos on any sites you go to, like ESPN?

* I assume it does have flash video, but just want to be sure... I'd never buy any device that doesn't have flash video.

* When you have time, go to different sites using WiFi and try playing the videos on those sites and see if they work.

* Thanks for any feedback, and for any future updates ..... (Ps: I'm considering this ZTE phone or the Huawei Glory).

Z Turk E B-)

Below

tfuser19
October 7, 2013, 5:02 pm
@Below,
How did you generate that phone comparison chart? Wondering where the Centura fits in there.
It's just the Antutu benchmark. That's the default comparison list it gives. Not sure where the Centura ranks but I can look if you want.

I also agree on the phone lock with Joeb84. It's called "Long press" and I wish there was a short press version. There is no swipe lock by default.

The phone doesn't have flash. Or not that I could see. I tried both Chrome and Firefox by going to Adobe's official get flash page, but it just told me that the browser doesn't support it. You can a install flash app though, but I haven't done that.

Here are some pics about the ZTE apps loaded with it:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

That Full Share sounds interesting, but it only shows you the tutorial ONCE and then you can never load it again, bar resetting the entire phone. I missed it the first time, so now I'm screwed!

If you need to know anything else, ask away! But the camera I don't care much about. I have two APS-C sensor cameras, so if I know I"m going to be taking pics, one of them will come along instead. Also, I'm planning on getting an tablet sometime later, one that has a nice camera hopefully which will make this Tracfone only a phone/backup device (once the big.LITTLE octo core Android chips come down in price - here's to hoping the Allwinner A80 fares better than the A31/S... or that Mediatek also introduces one).

Below

I also learned that you can take a screenshot by holding Power button + down volume. No app installation necessary!
It saves them as PNG to SD card/Pictures/Screenshots.

halfspec

I have a funny / specific question for you folks that have already purchased a Valet.

When the phone is off and needs charging, Does the phone automatically turn on after attaching it to the charger?
I understand if there's a delay to 'charge' the phone up enough to start, but I'm really curious if it will go ahead and
turn on as well at some point after hooking it up to the charger.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
halfspec

Joeb84

Below
October 8, 2013, 2:57 am
I also learned that you can take a screenshot by holding Power button + down volume. No app installation necessary!
I learned that last night, too. LOL So far, how do you like the phone.. Are you going to keep it? As far as the Full
Share app goes, I didn't read the directions either. I just started it up. On the app in menu there is a help section.
Doesn't tell you much though. You just have to play around with it. I'm going to look on the net to see if there are
better instructions.

Joeb84

halfspec
October 8, 2013, 8:25 am
I have a funny / specific question for you folks that have already purchased a Valet.

When the phone is off and needs charging, Does the phone automatically turn on after attaching it to the charger?
I understand if there's a delay to 'charge' the phone up enough to start, but I'm really curious if it will go ahead and
turn on as well at some point after hooking it up to the charger.

halfspec
No, it stays off and the screen remains black. I'm use to seeing the battery icon when I plug in the charger, but it was
just a black screen. I found out if you quickly press the on and off button on the top, you then see the battery icon for
a few seconds.

Joeb84

Well I set up my voicemail and connected my bluetooth speakers to the phone. So far, so good.

halfspec

Joeb84
October 8, 2013, 9:27 am
halfspec
October 8, 2013, 8:25 am

When the phone is off and needs charging, Does the phone automatically turn on after attaching it to the charger? I understand if there's a delay to 'charge' the phone up enough to start, but I'm really curious if it will go ahead and turn on as well at some point after hooking it up to the charger.

halfspec
No, it stays off and the screen remains black. I'm use to seeing the battery icon when I plug in the charger, but it was just a black screen. I found out if you quickly press the on and off button on the top, you then see the battery icon for a few seconds.
Dang! Well thanks anyway Joe

I was hoping it would as I wanted to use the phone primarily as an emergency GPS locator for my car in the event that it's stolen. I wanted to wire it into my car on switched power so it would only charge when the car is on. Because the phone's battery will only stand by so long, I expect it will die from time to time. I need a phone that can come back from the dead when the power comes back on ;)

Guess I'll post the same question in the Samsung Galaxy Centura thread :)

Thanks again!
halfspec

Tech
Member Avatar

Below
October 8, 2013, 2:44 am
Posted Image
So, I have a question. I see that it has the emergency call option on the screen when it's supposed to be "locked".
Does that mean that even if it's locked that there is a chance that you can dial 911. If so, I think it's poor design and
will be the one reason I won't get this device or any other one that does this. This was a problem with the lg 840g
that bugged me.

Also, If it's locked and the phone rings does it automatically "unlock" itself? And can any old body just come along
and unlock your phone just by swiping or whatever?

Thanks.

Below

Joeb84
October 8, 2013, 9:24 am
Job84
October 8, 2013, 2:57 am
I learned that last night, too. LOL So far, how do you like the phone.. Are you going to keep it?
I don't know if I like it or not. That's kind of irrelevant too. I mostly got it for the fact that it's triple units + has Wifi
+ is a smartphone... I really do miss the prepaid menu, alarm clock that goes off when the phone is totally shut
off, no warning when shutting it off, and a physical keyboard, but it's an upgrade considering the flexibility, apps,
the large screen, etc.

Below

Tech
October 8, 2013, 10:31 am
Below
Posted Image
So, I have a question. I see that it has the emergency call option on the screen when it's supposed to be "locked".
Does that mean that even if it's locked that there is a chance that you can dial 911. If so, I think it's poor design and
will be the one reason I won't get this device or any other one that does this. This was a problem with the lg 840g
that bugged me.

Also, If it's locked and the phone rings does it automatically "unlock" itself? And can any old body just come along

Thanks.
Yes, there is a chance you can dial 911. That emergency call feature was with all previous Tracfones too on
the lock screen. And it's on every single option for the lock screen on the Valet. However I don't think you will
actually end up accidentally dialing something with it - you'll need to
1. accidentally click the screen on
2. accidentally click emergency call
3. accidentally dial 911
4. accidentally click send.

That's a lot of specific things that must happen in a specific order, so I'm guessing it won't happen in reality.

My phone isn't activated yet, but it unlocks itself when you get a call. By unlocks I don't mean the full way,
but enough to answer the phone.

And yes, anybody can come along and unlock your phone by pressing it. It's not really a LOCK persay, it's a
screen/key lock. If you want more security, you can change it in the options or install some apps/load another
ROM on it though considering it's Tracfone, that may be dangerous. Here's what it shows:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Joeb84

Tech
October 8, 2013, 10:31 am
Below
Posted Image
that bugged me.

Thanks.
If you click the emergency call your telephone keypad appears letting you dial any number. However it does not
automatically dial 911... When the phone rings a new screen appears allowing you to activate the phone. I don't
know how to include a screen shot in my message to show you. And yes I think anybody can unlock your phone.

Joeb84

Thanks Below I was looking for that option about screen lock. I found it in the menu under security. Thank you
for pointing that out. I thought there was something like that but couldn't find it. That's a good security feature...
Can you also tell me how you post pics? Thanks

tfuser19

@Below,
AnTuTu Benchmark app shows ~3000 for two Centuras I checked vs ~4000 for ZTE. :(
Not sure exactly what that translates to performance wise.

Below

Joeb84
October 8, 2013, 1:58 pm
Can you also tell me how you post pics? Thanks
1. Take a screenshot
2. Third physical button > System settings > Device > Connect to PC > Media Device (MTP).
3. Find the screenshots, I posted the links above.
4. Copy/cut them to a new directory.
5. Upload to any image hosting site.
6. Wrap the direct image links around [img] and [/img]

Below

tfuser19
October 8, 2013, 9:23 pm
@Below,
AnTuTu Benchmark app shows ~3000 for two Centuras I checked vs ~4000 for ZTE. :(
Synthetic benchmarks don't relay real life performance, so the number may not be that important in reality.
And Antutu isn't the only benchmark. Can't think of any of ATM, but people try to game it (coughsamsunggalaxynote3)
so running another test might give you a better picture of actual performance.

Off topic, but I noticed the phone has a blue tint too. Trying to fix that. I want my neutrals neutral.

Zef

Passmark, Vellamo, Geekbench, and SunSpider are all benchmarks.

I think the specs listed in CPU-Z app from all 3 phones (Samsung, ZTE, Huawei) would also be a great comparison.

Zef

tfuser19
October 8, 2013, 9:23 pm
@Below,
It would great to get screen shots, or a listing of the data on the details screen, to compare what the difference is...

The ZTE breaks out like this...
Details
Z665C
UX Android 4.1.1
Multitask: 938
Dalvik: 373
CPU 1008 Mhz
CPU integer: 341
CPU float-point: 221
RAM 179.1 / 386.3 MB
RAM Operation: 202
RAM Speed: 242
GPU Andreno (TM) 200
2D graphics: [320x480] 323
3D graphics: [320x480] 493
IO 2231.9 / 2397.7 MB
Storage I/O: 442
Database I/O: 465

Below

Zef
October 9, 2013, 2:41 am
Vellamo, Geekbench, and SunSpider are all benchmarks. I think the specs listed in CPU-Z app from all 3 phones
(Samsung, ZTE, Huawei) would also be a great comparison.
Working on it now.

EDIT: This will take a very long time. Plus I'm almost ready to go to bed. Check this post in 10+ hours.

Joeb84

Posted Image

@Below.

I did it. I posted a pic. Here is a pic of how the phone looks when you are getting an incoming call.

annepani

Joeb84
October 9, 2013, 8:47 am
I did it. I posted a pic. Here is a pic of how the phone looks when you are getting an incoming call.
Good work. Congratulations. And thanks from the rest of us who have been dragging our feet about mastering this.

Joeb84

annepani
October 9, 2013, 9:16 am
Joeb84
Good work. Congratulations. And thanks from the rest of us who have been dragging our feet about mastering this.
Thanks annepani. It's the little things in life that get me so excited. Lol. A picture really does speak a thousand words.

Joeb84

Turk
October 8, 2013, 12:51 am
* Below and Joeb84 .... thanks you two for the good info and updates about this phone so far, it is appreciated. ;)
* You two have answered almost all of my initial questions I had about this phone so far... but I do have one to ask.

* Does this ZTE phone have adobe flash player? ... like, can you play videos on any sites you go to, like ESPN?
* I assume it does have flash video, but just want to be sure... I'd never buy any device that doesn't have flash video.

* When you have time, go to different sites using WiFi and try playing the videos on those sites and see if they work.
* Thanks for any feedback, and for any future updates ..... (Ps: I'm considering this ZTE phone or the Huawei Glory).

Z Turk E B-)
The good news is I went to ESPN and I could play their videos. The bad news is like Below stated there is no
Adobe flash so some pages would not play, like HSN Live TV, etc. Also Adobe is not supporting flash for android
anymore. Why I don't know. But, back to the good news, you can download the Adobe apk from Android Drawer.

Here is the site ...
http://www.androiddrawer.com/7633/download-adobe-flash-player-11-11-1-115-34-app-apk/#.UlXtbcu9KK2

I installed it and it works fine.

tfuser19

@Joeb84,
Thanks for the tip on finding Adobe Flash Player.

I found the latest Android version: 11.1.115.81 on Adobe's archive site.

I'm not sure if new is better or what, but I could not install the linked version you gave and was able to install this one on my Centura.

This Flash Test page worked too. You should see an animation under step 1 and version information under step 2.

The version information is correctly displayed as 11.1.115.81. Oddly, it shows Linux for the OS and Safari for the browser.

I'm not exactly sure what this means from Adobe roadmap for the Flash runtimes :
"Flash Player is not supported on Android 4.1 and users should uninstall Flash Player prior to upgrading to Android 4.1."

Joeb84

tfuser19
October 9, 2013, 10:52 pm
@Joeb84,
Thanks for the tip on finding Adobe Flash Player.

I found the latest Android version: 11.1.115.81 on Adobe's archive site.

I'm not sure if new is better or what, but I could not install the linked version you gave and was able to install this one on my Centura.

This Flash Test page worked too. You should see an animation under step 1 and version information under step 2.

The version information is correctly displayed as 11.1.115.81. Oddly, it shows Linux for the OS and Safari for the browser.

I'm not exactly sure what this means from Adobe roadmap for the Flash runtimes :
"Flash Player is not supported on Android 4.1 and users should uninstall Flash Player prior to upgrading to Android 4.1."
That's so funny, because it was the complete opposite for me. I went to the archives and it said text too large.
It didn't even appear to be an apk. I tried several they had listed but got the same result. I don't know, I probably did
something wrong. The one I posted though, definitely worked on the Valet. One tip though, when I first installed the
apk, it appeared that it didn't work. I turned the phone off and then back on and then it worked fine.

Like most electronics, if it doesn't work turn it off then on and it usually resets itself.
Electronics can be so frustrating. Lol. I will definitely check out your link since it is the latest version.

Tech
Member Avatar

Jeb and Below, thanks for the feedback on the lock screen.
After some reading, I suppose you could actually do the pincode.

My 2 cents on flash, I think the internet is better off without the vermin and believe that Android and
Apple made a good decision in not having it installed by default... Of course, that's just my opinion.

tfuser19

@Joeb84,
"I went to the archives and it said text too large." What said text too large?

I was able to download the .apks from the link you gave, but the installer had an issue with the files (I tried two different versions).

Does the Z665C auto dim the display based on ambient light? The Centura does not :( .

tfuser19

Shopcelldeals on eBay has the ZTE Valet Android Smartphone with 600 Minutes/Text/Data Included for $99.99 shipped :) !

And they also have a special promo: SAVE $5 FOR EVERY $100 YOU SPEND - so add something else to your cart to get over $100.

They have the phone only for $89.99 shipped if you don't need 600 Minutes/Text/Data.

ST Dog

Joeb84
Here is a pic of how the phone looks when you are getting an incoming call.
That may well change if you enable a more secure lock (pattern, PIN, password)

A note about emergency dialing. Very unlikely to accidental do it as the screen only responds to certain touches.
Not likely to happen in your pocket. Try it. Use a pencil eraser or a q-tip.

Capacitive sense screens require a special stylus. It's won't work with just anything.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Below and Joeb84 .... thanks for the updates about the ZTE Valet not having adobe flash pre-installed.

* The reason I asked was because awhile back I heard rumors that newer androids were not gonna have adobe flash anymore.

* Looks like 4.0 (ICS) is maybe the last version to have it installed on the phone. (Ps: the Huawei Glory has adobe flash)

* But that's good you can still download it from those adobe flash sites you all listed above... I like having adobe flash. ;)

Turk Flash B-)

Below

Ok, here the specs. And DAMN! Shopcelldeals already reduced their price by $14.99! I mean really, that quickly the
price changed? I am pissed.. I'm having problems with the code they gave me for the minutes though (or it could be
tracfone) -- long story but Tracfone is not ready for Android yet.

ZTE Valet benchmarks gallery.

Lipcrkr

I just joined this Forum and I'm glad I did. I currently have the LG 840g but looking at the Sammy Centura and ZTE Valet.
I am going to visit Best Buy later today. I'm leaning towards the Valet because it has Jelly Bean.

According to "Informr" the specs of ZTE Valet = 16.7m colors vs 262k for Sam Centura.
The pixel density is the same at 165 each.
Resolution is the same 320 x 480.

Joeb84

tfuser19
October 9, 2013, 11:51 pm
@Joeb84,
"I went to the archives and it said text too large." What said text too large?

I was able to download the .apks from the link you gave, but the installer had an issue with the files (I tried two different versions).

Does the Z665C auto dim the display based on ambient light? The Centura does not :( .
When I download the apk you posted to the Valet, it downloads it as a text file for some reason. Then when I click on it to try and install it I get this message "The file is too large. Notes application can't open it. I don't know why it is downloading it as a text file. That's why I posted the other site from Android Drawer. The link I posted works fine on the Valet. I still haven't returned the Centura, so I tried downloading the flash from your post, and it worked fine. It downloaded it to the phone as an apk not text, like on the Valet. Strange. To answer your other question about auto dim, no it does not.

Joeb84

I have a question for all you Techies on this forum. In layman's terms out of the 3 android phones from Tracfone (Centura, Valet and Glory) how would you rate them (first, second and third) and why. What about the LG. Has anyone seen that phone offered yet? I know it runs 2.3 Gingerbread. Could it be upgraded to 4.0 Ice cream Sandwich? I'm just curious. The more I use the Valet, the more I like it.

ST Dog

Joeb84
October 10, 2013, 10:06 am
What about the LG. Has anyone seen that phone offered yet? I know it runs 2.3 Gingerbread. Could it be upgraded to 4.0 Ice cream Sandwich?
See the LG thread...

Joeb84

ST Dog
October 10, 2013, 12:24 pm
Joeb84
What about the LG. Has anyone seen that phone offered yet? I know it runs 2.3 Gingerbread. Could it be upgraded to 4.0 Ice cream Sandwich?
See the LG thread...
Don't see it. It's not listed.

tfuser19

@Joeb84,
For other phone threads including LG look here: http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/forum/1020639/ -> (Trac/Net10) LG Optimus Dynamic (L38C) Phone Topic - do you see it now?

You asked "In layman's terms out of the 3 android phones from Tracfone (Centura, Valet and Glory) how would you rate them (first, second and third) and why." You have two of these phones, so what's your answer to this question for those two?

@Lipcrkr,
My bet is "Informr" claim of the specs of ZTE Valet = 16.7m colors vs 262k for Sam Centura is wrong. They've made other errors - I cited on on LG840G in this thread.

If you find another source stating ZTE Valet = 16.7m colors - I'd like to see that. It does not make sense for a display 3.5" and see Joeb84's comment in post #44 about display comparison between these two phones.

annepani

Joeb84
Has anyone seen that phone (the LG Optimus Dynamic) offered yet?
Turk posted that shopcelldeals has it on ebay. And yes, the thread for the LG Optimus Dynamic has already been started.

ST Dog

Joeb84
October 10, 2013, 1:09 pm
ST Dog
October 10, 2013, 12:24 pm
See the LG thread...
Don't see it. It's not listed.

(Trac/Net10) LG Optimus Dynamic (L38C) Phone Topic

Joeb84

tfuser19
October 10, 2013, 1:32 pm
@Joeb84,
For other phone threads including LG look here: http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/forum/1020639/ -> (Trac/Net10) LG Optimus Dynamic (L38C) Phone Topic - do you see it now?

You asked "In layman's terms out of the 3 android phones from Tracfone (Centura, Valet and Glory) how would you rate them (first, second and third) and why." You have two of these phones, so what's your answer to this question for those two?

@Lipcrkr,
My bet is "Informr" claim of the specs of ZTE Valet = 16.7m color s vs 262k for Sam Centura is wrong. They've made other errors - I cited on on LG840G in this thread.

If you find another source stating ZTE Valet = 16.7m colors - I'd like to see that. It does not make sense for a display 3.5" and see Joeb84's comment in post #44 about display comparison between these two phones.
Yup found it. Thanks. The phone doesn't sound that great. My question was if you could upgrade it to 4.0 and if anyone had. I'm guessing probably not. Yes, I do have the two phones and I compared them in my review. For me personally, the more I use the Valet, the more I like it. It seems a little more quick and responsive than the Centura, especially when surfing the net. i wanted to know technically how these phones stacked up. i noticed that some of the more technical posters did a benchmark test. I've heard of it, but don't fully understand it. That's why I wanted their opinion as to which phones they rate first, second and third and why. In terms I could understand, of course.

ST Dog

Lipcrkr
October 10, 2013, 5:58 am
According to "Informr" the specs of ZTE Valet = 16.7m colors vs 262k for Sam Centura.
24bit color (8 bits for each of ged, green, blue, 16.7M colors total) is a bit excessive for a cheap phone. The human eye cannot generally differentiate more than ~3.5M colors.

18bit color (6 bits each, 262K total) is generally not notably different. Certain gradients (like pics of the sky or ocean) may be noticeable, but generally it's not.

For day to day use, 15/16bit color (32k or 64k colors, difference is more shades of green, 6 bits instead of 5) is plenty, and I still keep my computers set that way most of the time.

tfuser19

@Joeb84,
I don't think anyone has used all the three or four available Tracfone Androids at this point to be able to accurately rank them from experience.

I'm not sure how the difference in benchmarks posted translates to user experience with the phones. My only Tracfone Android experience is with my Centura. I have two in the household and they now are now both keeping time correctly. ^o)

@ST Dog,
Thanks for the techno explanation on the display resolutions. I doubt ZTE or anyone else is going to put a hires display on these low dollar phones is these penny-pinching times.

So the bottom line is don't put much stock in specs from "Informr".

tfuser19

tfuser19
October 9, 2013, 11:55 pm
From another forum:

shopcelldeals on eBay has the ZTE Valet Android Smartphone with 600 Minutes/Text/Data Included for $99.99 shipped :) !

And they also have a special promo: SAVE $5 FOR EVERY $100 YOU SPEND - so add something else to your cart to get over $100.

They have the phone only for $89.99 shipped if you don't need 600 Minutes/Text/Data.
And from the other forum, a suggestion to get this phone at a lower total cost:

If you don't need the data, better to purchase from tracfone.com for $99.99 then FRIEND1 $5 discount, going through bigcrumbs.com which gives you a 21% rebate! Bringing just the phone to $75.04 + any sales tax that might be in your area!

Note that this will require you to have or open a bigcrumbs.com account.

ST Dog

tfuser19
October 10, 2013, 3:09 pm
I doubt ZTE or anyone else is going to put a hires display on these low dollar phones
Apples and oranges though.

You can have a high resolution (lots of pixels) and low color screen, or high color but low resolution screen.

It's also a function of the video memory (recall older PC graphics cards where 24bit color had limited resolution, and selecting higher resolution lowered the color to 15/16bit, or even 8bits)

They will work for higher resolution and keep the number of colors low as 262K colors is generally enough

Like I said, 64K is really plenty. Photographs can be better with more, but when viewing on a small screen it's moot. Like putting a high fidelity sound system in a car with lots of road noise (or the windows down)

tfuser19

@ST Dog,

Thanks for correcting my sloppiness. Color depth is not display resolution, so I should have stated "I doubt ZTE or anyone else is going to put a True color (24-bit color) display on these low dollar phones in these penny-pinching times."

I wonder what it is about the ZTE Valet display that made Joeb84 perceive it to be not quite as sharp as the Centura?

Joeb84

tfuser19
October 10, 2013, 4:06 pm
@ST Dog,

Thanks for correcting my sloppiness. Color depth is not display resolution, so I should have stated "I doubt ZTE or anyone else is going to put a True color (24-bit color) display on these low dollar phones is these penny-pinching times."

I wonder what it is about the ZTE Valet display that made Joeb84 perceive it to be not quite as sharp as the Centura?
To me comparing them side by side, the Valet just didn't seem as sharp. Like when you look at two photos taken with two different cameras and one pic seems more pixelated. It's only slightly, but I did think the screen resolution or clarity might be a better word, was a little better on the Centura. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the other posters saying the Valet has better resolution or the same. I thought they were the same. Do they both have a glass screen?

the Wizard
Member Avatar

@joeb84,

Thanks for your information about the ZTE Valet.

5 users reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.