Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) Samsung Galaxy Centura (S738C) Phone Topic
Topic Started: March 12, 2013, 2:40 pm (34,644 Views)
ST Dog

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts, or questions on this phone, please post it all here ... thanks.

* Attention Turkamaniacs: Tracfone Promotion Codes do not work with the new Tracfone Android Phones.

* Tracfone Samsung Galaxy Centura Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?
* Net10 Samsung Galaxy Centura Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?

* Located in the Topics Forum: Tracfone/Net10 - Apps for Androids - we discuss different apps for android devices.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bummpr
October 28, 2013, 12:29 pm
just because you don't see the numbers of "bars" you saw on your old phone doesn't make for a very scientific measure or valid comparison. My connectivity has been more than satisfactory and network throughput measured by OOKLA Speedtest is down only marginally from my iPads and laptops which are able to pack in much larger antennae.
And speed test results don't say much about the wifi performance either as my internet connected is more than maxed out with an 802.11g connection(likely most others too. Who has a 50Mbps+ internet connection?). Often 802.11b would max it out. I can get 54Mbps connections (g router) on my laptop with a week signal. One of my tablets won't even connect in the same location, a little closer and I'll get ~20Mbps on the tablet (again the laptop still manages 54Mbps).

Few people have a speed test for their internal network, which would be needed for a true test of a device's wifi.
I have times file copies across the network, but that's not really a good test.

The complaints I've seen about the ZTE have to do with devices in the same location to the same router/access point.
The ZTE doesn't grab signals as well, so through walls and/or farther away you get slower or no connection.

Not ZTE v/s Samsung side by side, but I've seen complaints about the ZTE v/s other wifi devices and not seen similar complaints about the Samsung's wifi.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tarkio101

Ok guys, here's my story. I may have ordered the minute I saw the phone on HSN, but I am just now getting around to switching my regular number and previous balance to the Centura. I think the transfer went smoothly. Took about 20 minutes, which i expected. I received more minutes than I was expecting, based on the balance of the old phone, and what I had left of the original 600 from the HSN deal.

Now, the balance in the Tracfone app show my balance correctly, in all 3 buckets. However, in the text message it sends me, it shows an incorrect balance. Has anyone else had this? I am thinking it may self correct overnight. I just activated the phone a few hours ago, and the first time I checked the balance it was not correct in the app either. Then, the correct balance appeared in the app, but like I said, the text message send was not correct.

I waited a while to transfer minutes since I saw people were having issues with balances. I called the Executive Resolution number listed in previous posts, but it was not going to native English speakers and from the conversations I could hear in the background, it was not in the US. I called a few times and hung up when hearing the foreign accent but the 3rd time just continued to get it over with. The guy was really good actually. Whatever issue there is with the balance, I am sure it is their system, and not the person I dealt with.

Anyone else have the balance different in the app and in the text message?

tfuser19

@Tarkio101,
The three easy ways I use to check my balances are My Account app, My Account widget, and web site request. All three types results in a text message response and balances displayed on the screen. All six results are consistently displaying the correct values for me - including when I checked just now.

Tarkio101

Tfuser,
I forgot about the Tracfone website. It gives me the correct amount of data, as does the app. I think that text message amount it shows it just some kind of fluke. I'm going to ignore it unless I see anything funny happening elsewhere. I predict it will straighten itself out in time.

Guess I'm officially all set up now! I debated whether or not to get the ZTE. But I like this phone pretty well. So glad Tracfone brought out some androids! I've been having so much fun. I haven't had a real smartphone for a good year and a half or two years, so it's nice to feel back in the loop.

Ridgerunner

I have had my Centura a few weeks now. Over all I am happy with the phone. It did take some time learn how to use a Samsung versus the LG. I have used the WiFi at home but have not used 3g to connect to the internet.
I leave Blue Tooth, GPS and updates on, they use a miniscule amount of data. The clock has worked fine since I started leaving everything on.
I have added about four apps. Now my memory is running low. Has anyone added a larger memory card? If so where did you get the card? After adding the card does information on the old card transfer to the new card?
If you are going to buy this phone you may want to add memory at the time of purchase.
This a smart phone but it did not go to Harvard.

GaryST

If you never turned on data, how did you use any? Once you add a mini SDHC card you will have more storage space. Memory is something else you cannot add. Some apps allow you to toggle where their storage resides, once you mount the card you may set them to the card If you place music, pictures or videos on the card the phone will find it. To successfully send a picture or video message (MMS) you will need to turn on data.

runner

Tarkio101: I just install the TF app for the third time. Previously it was too buggy but that was on my old Centura so this is first time on my new Centura trying out the app. When I first opened it, it gave the correct phone# and incorrect service date. When I clicked "balance" it gave me an oops error message. This app doesn't like me. I checked my balance using the phone browser and I got the correct balance and correct service date, as well as text. (I think the app is too buggy)

Tarkio101

Ridgerunner
October 29, 2013, 5:12 pm
I have had my Centura a few weeks now. Over all I am happy with the phone. It did take some time learn how to use a Samsung versus the LG. I have used the WiFi at home but have not used 3g to connect to the internet.
I leave Blue Tooth, GPS and updates on, they use a miniscule amount of data. The clock has worked fine since I started leaving everything on.
I have added about four apps. Now my memory is running low. Has anyone added a larger memory card? If so where did you get the card? After adding the card does information on the old card transfer to the new card?
If you are going to buy this phone you may want to add memory at the time of purchase.
I have added well over a dozen apps and have not run low on memory. Are you getting some error message? I installed a memory card containing my music and photos from my old phone, but had all of my apps installed before that and they all worked fine. Now, I may not have installed memory hungry apps--graphics intensive games and live wall papers in particular. Have you installed something like that?

Tarkio101

runner
October 29, 2013, 7:52 pm
Tarkio101: I just install the TF app for the third time. Previously it was too buggy but that was on my old Centura so this is first time on my new Centura trying out the app. When I first opened it, it gave the correct phone# and incorrect service date. When I clicked "balance" it gave me an oops error message. This app doesn't like me. I checked my balance using the phone browser and I got the correct balance and correct service date, as well as text. (I think the app is too buggy)
My tracfone app is buggy too. However, when it works, it is the one giving me the correct data information. It's the text it sends when I request a balance that is incorrect. But the actual info in the app is correct, as is the info on the tracfone website. So, at least I'm 95% sure that my account contains the correct amount of minutes, texts and data as transferred from my old phone.

I think the app may need some tweaks, or perhaps it has trouble getting the data from their servers. Either way, I think it will get corrected soon enough.

tfuser19

Ridgerunner
October 29, 2013, 5:12 pm
@Ridgerunner,
Which memory is running low? How much is remaining out of how much total?

There is the internal SD memory - 4GB or which 2.6 GB is usable to us, (think of it as a filing cabinet) and there is internal RAM (think of it as the size of a desk's top). Every app you install takes up SD memory space, and when it is running, it also uses RAM space.

If you don't have an external microSD card (they don't come with the phone), then all your installed apps, pictures, music, documents, etc will be using the internal SD memory.

If you buy a microSD card, you can move your pictures, music, and documents from the internal SD to the external microSD card, and some apps can also use the external microSD card to store some of their data.

The internal RAM is 512MB and cannot be increased - so we have to be careful how many RAM hungry apps are running at any given time.

Ridgerunner

tfuser19 , I have a yield sign in the upper left corner of the phone. Yesterday it came on and said memory was running low. I went in to settings and checked storage. I think this is USB, I have used 322mb and have 2.4 GB free. Which should be plenty. At this point I should not need to add an external card.

The 5 apps I have installed are Trac my account, Alert me, note pad, calendar and No led.

I have no pictures, documents or games.

OK, I just spent some time reading the book. I am still learning new things about the phone every day. When I installed No Led was when the yield icon popped up. I dragged it down and clicked on the message and the icon is gone.

This forum is a great resource, thanks for all the help offered. Also Tracfone sent me a PM offering help, how is that for customer service!

Here is a PDF link for the Centura that may help some one else:
http://img-tf.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/pub/77644/docs/SCH-S738C_EN.pdf?

gordy

Tarkio101
October 29, 2013, 8:50 pm
runner
October 29, 2013, 7:52 pm
My tracfone app is buggy too. However, when it works, it is the one giving me the correct data information. It's the text it sends when I request a balance that is incorrect. But the actual info in the app is correct, as is the info on the tracfone website. So, at least I'm 95% sure that my account contains the correct amount of minutes, texts and data as transferred from my old phone.

I think the app may need some tweaks, or perhaps it has trouble getting the data from their servers. Either way, I think it will get corrected soon enough.
My TracFone App never worked, always the ‘oops! Server’ error message. I know I got a good network connection. The My Account Widget never worked for me either. Always get ‘Update failed – Please try again later’ and ‘Pending answer’.
It’s strange the app works for some and not for others… maybe not consistently . Nobody mentions the widget. Anyone have any luck with that? It’s not a big deal but annoying that something gets released without properly testing. Maybe they’re using government contractors.

tfuser19

gordy,
Both widget and app worked for me as confirmed by text message response. I think we have to wait about 5 mins between requests or they get ignored.

Fisha695

Question about the clock issue. Other then using the phone as a watch/alarm clock as well as timestamps on messages the clock issue doesn't affect the phone usage itself right?

Also from what I gather it basically resets the clock to GMT time, so has anybody tried leaving it at GMT time? For example I'm in the eastern time zone so GMT is +4 or +5 depending on the time of year. So if I just leave it set as the GMT time and then adjust in my head then I shouldn't technically have any issues with the clock at all, right?

Ridgerunner

Clock- Here is what has worked for me concerning the clock. I am in the eastern time zone. In settings I have checked Automatic Time Zone and Use 24 hour format. You also set the clock there.

I also leave GPS, Bluetooth and updates on. Whether that has anything to do with the clock, I don't know.

I have not used the alarm feature.

tfuser19

Ridgerunner,
How often do u have to charge ur phone leaving GPS on?

Ridgerunner

I charge the phone everyday to 100%. My battery consumption is 51% cell stand by, 19% phone idle, 9% Bluetooth and 9% WiFi. Most of the time the phone sits on my desk, with a landline I don't need to carry it around. I live in a small town. Once a week I am an hour or two from home. That is when the phone and text gets used. Learning how to use the different features on the phone counts for most of my battery usage.
One tip. The wall charger and car charger from my past LG cells work with the Centura.

gordy

tfuser19
October 31, 2013, 12:21 am
gordy,
Both widget and app worked for me as confirmed by text message response. I think we have to wait about 5 mins between requests or they get ignored.
I must be trying to connect to a different server which NEVER responded. Can't see any other reason why the app works for some and not others.

gordy

Fisha695
October 31, 2013, 1:15 am
Question about the clock issue. Other then using the phone as a watch/alarm clock as well as timestamps on messages the clock issue doesn't affect the phone usage itself right?

Also from what I gather it basically resets the clock to GMT time, so has anybody tried leaving it at GMT time? For example I'm in the eastern time zone so GMT is +4 or +5 depending on the time of year. So if I just leave it set as the GMT time and then adjust in my head then I shouldn't technically have any issues with the clock at all, right?
You shouldn't have any technical issues that affect your balances.
I had the same issues offsetting back 5 hours but the time would correct itself after power cycling and then periodically jump back 5 hours. BUT after doing a reset as described in post #485 the clock has been correct consistantly. Going on three weeks now. I'm in the eastern time zone also.

tfuser19

Ridgerunner,
After you charge your phone to 100%, what is the charge level at 24 hours later if you have not used the phone?

And do you normally let it sit on the desk in normal mode (cell network on)? Do you keep WiFi and GPS on or off?

I'm constantly using mine, so I have to charge it daily or more often and I'm wondering what battery performance would be if I left it sitting.

Ridgerunner

tfuser19,
Monday I was active with the phone. I made or received 8-10 calls plus some text. I don't know what my battery level was at the end of the day. The next morning the battery was at 25%. I was surprised it was that low, but from what you are saying maybe it is normal for the Centura.

I never power the phone off. GPS, Blue tooth, Wifi and updates stay on. Today I started with 100%. I made one 3 minute call and checked some settings several times. My battery is at 91%.

tfuser19

Ridgerunner
October 31, 2013, 4:07 pm
tfuser19,
Monday I was active with the phone. I made or received 8-10 calls plus some text. I don't know what my battery level was at the end of the day. The next morning the battery was at 25%. I was surprised it was that low, but from what you are saying maybe it is normal for the Centura.

I never power the phone off. GPS, Blue tooth, Wifi and updates stay on. Today I started with 100%. I made one 3 minute call and checked some settings several times. My battery is at 91%.
Ridgerunner,
I'm using my phone (screen on and using WiFi) for 4 or more hours per day - I think that's a lot compared to your usage - but my GPS, Bluetooth, and cell network or off most of the day.

Tarkio101

My experience is similar to those mentioned above. I have GPS off, but wifi on all day. I can browse the internet, listen to podcasts which I download, not stream (which shouldn't use much juice at all, just like playing mp3s) and always have at least a third of a charge at the end of the day. I would say this phone, from my experience, is decent, but not great. I want one that will get me thru my normal daily routine with no trouble, and this one fits the bill.

I am surprised at how quickly this phone charges. Seems like I check it in an hour and it's full, when it was almost empty to start. I haven't really timed it, it just seems faster than others I've had.

tfuser19

Tarkio101,
I agree - it does seem to charge fast - in about half the time of what I would expect.

Tech
Member Avatar

bummpr
GaryST
October 28, 2013, 5:22 am
Many have concluded, that while on paper spec wise the Zte is better it actually performs worse and wifi connectivity is terrible. So other than the camera led flash on the Zte the centura is a better phone and costs more.
Not sure where you got the impression that ZTE WiFi connectivity is "terrible"...just because you don't see the numbers of "bars" you saw on your old phone doesn't make for a very scientific measure or valid comparison. My connectivity has been more than satisfactory and network throughput measured by OOKLA Speedtest is down only marginally from my iPads and laptops which are able to pack in much larger antennae.

Overall performance comparison can only be accomplished with side-by-side benchmarking which I can't do but the ZTE has higher spec processor by 20% and Jelly Bean has been touted as having much better performance than prior versions of Android. Not sure how the Samsung could manage to perform better than the ZTE unless they have a patent on MAGIC. :$
This.

GaryST

Tech
November 1, 2013, 5:20 am
bummpr
GaryST
October 28, 2013, 5:22 am
Many have concluded, that while on paper spec wise the Zte is better it actually performs worse and wifi connectivity is terrible. So other than the camera led flash on the Zte the centura is a better phone and costs more.
Not sure where you got the impression that ZTE WiFi connectivity is "terrible"...just because you don't see the numbers of "bars" you saw on your old phone doesn't make for a very scientific measure or valid comparison. My connectivity has been more than satisfactory and network throughput measured by OOKLA Speedtest is down only marginally from my iPads and laptops which are able to pack in much larger antennae.

Overall performance comparison can only be accomplished with side-by-side benchmarking which I can't do but the ZTE has higher spec processor by 20% and Jelly Bean has been touted as having much better performance than prior versions of Android. Not sure how the Samsung could manage to perform better than the ZTE unless they have a patent on MAGIC. :$
This.
?

tfuser19

The last few Tracfones I had including the S390G and LG840G came with a voice recorder app pre-installed on
the phone. I did not see one on the Centura ..... did I miss it or is there really not a voice recorder pre-installed?

GaryST

No built in one that I could find. Many free apps available.

runner

I noticed yesterday while I was checking my setting when my clock went back 6 hours that the time zone checked was Mountain Time; I'm in Central. So I manually changed it and then saw that it took and went out of the screen. When I rebooted it again went back to Mountain Time instead of Central. So I unchecked the automatic time zone and it stayed on Central time. While this is doing it, it still shows the right time, just the wrong zone.

I've been pretty much trying to figure out what is causing the random time set back to 6 hours. I thought it was the game "bejeweled blitz" because I caught the time change after I got out of the app. (More about that app later) So I uninstalled it. A couple days later it happened again. It seems to happen when the phone gets luke warm. My battery usually is above 50% charged and then I charge it till I get the indicator saying it's 100% charged, which takes over 2 hours. I thought I was a light phone user but maybe I'm a moderate user because I've used 500 hours in 6 weeks.

I've had weird battery life also but found what was causing it: bejeweled blitz. (That's the only game I play, usually no more than 10-20 minutes a day) After I exited out of this app, I would go to running apps and this app would not be there. I noticed that overnight sometimes my phone went from 85% to 40% and sometimes 85% to 83%. I finally figured out it was that app that was draining my battery when not in use. Although it did not show it running in the background it was definitely draining my battery. Also I finally wanted to retest my data usage and turned on mobile data (I usually have this off because when I first set the phone up it ate a lot of data (500 mb) and I didn't know it because I didn't check my balance every day (now I do). I checked my balance right before I turned on my data (9:15) and I was going to check it 24 hours later (as I heard that having data on burns up less than 1 mb a day if not using is) but instead checked 2-1/2 hours later (sleeping) and it burned 5.38 mb in 2-1/2 hours. (I have my phone set to only update on wifi, no sync, no automatic updates). The culprit was bejeweled blitz! Good thing I didn't check 24 hours later because it would've burned over 60 mb of data at that rate.

My battery life has been good. I just power off and power back on after I use apps and the battery life is good. (of course I ended up uninstalling bejeweled blitz; I can play it on my ipod touch).

The Tracfone app has NEVER worked for me. I get the account page (that says my expiration is 9/2015 which is wrong it's 7/2017 but is correct when I check it online and on phone) but ALWAYS get the server error.

Aside from these issues I like the phone. Never dropped a call and always clear on 2 bars.

Leticron

@runner: You certainly noticed that a lot of "free games" display tons of advertising of some sort. That's what drains your Data bucket. Who's to say that some games aren't programmed to use 3G if WiFi isn't available. I don't have proof to that tho. All I can say is this: Ever since I deleted all free games, my Data bucket doesn't empty unless I deliberately use any Data services. It might be unrelated and just a coincidence but I only had the time issue once (right after I closed a free game) and since those "free apps" are gone my phone kept the right time...even switched back correctly after DST ended last weekend. I must say I'm not a heavy gamer on the phone (my fingers are too big :D that's what my computer is for. I also try not to recharge the phone unless I'm hitting `20% to preserve the energy level I shut down the phone every night. Important stuff has to use the landline after hours ;) Of course that could also be a contributing factor for the phone to keep the accurate time. That would be the reason for sure if the time issue was related to some internal buffer overflow (which is my working theory atm, being a professional programmer and all)
And I agree with you...I like the phone too pretty much the best I ever had :D
Cheers -le

runner

Letricron: Thanks, for your feedback! I found it very helpful.

I try to relate my experience and extrapolate my theory which would be a lot easier if I'm more tech savy.

I know people who plays games on their phones for over an hour (neighbors, friends, by their admission) and says their phone runs very warm. Mine at most probably gets lukewarm. Only once was I able to pinpoint it to that app and because all other times it would be when I woke it from sleep, after charging, in midst of texting. And I also only install one app at a time and play with it to make sure their are no issues. The time when I got out of bejeweled blitz, I was playing it for a while, maybe 25 minutes, while waiting for my appointment. I think something happens when your phone runs warm...

I also tried using my phone on safe mode for awhile for the longest I was able to make it was 24 hours (missed Swiftkey app). This probably would've been fruitless since the time change has only happened on this 2nd Samsung 4 times.

I thought I covered all my bases when I was test driving the data usage. I had sync off, auto updates off, only update on wifi, location off (because apps are allowed to use wifi or data mobile). But when I went into data usage and showed bejeweled app using 5.38 mb, when I hard pressed it it gave an option to check for the app to not to use data mobile (you only get this option at that data usage screen after it used the data; pretty silly, I guess it's asking me if I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY certain that I don't want this app to use mobile data while it's sleeping)

A few more things:
to get the predictive text off, go to settings > language input > Samsung keyboard to the right there's connection icon click on it and predictive text off.

to turn off data: settings > data usage > mobile data off. Or play with the graph and you can set yourself a limit for certain time period how much data you want to use, such as 10 mb data limit for 2 days, etc. When you reach that you will get a triangle warning about your data limit.

Accessibility/Talk Back: settings > accessibility > talk back. If you're visually challenged, you can set it to talk back to you what you're doing on the phone (i.e., if you touch "setting", it will say "setting", etc.) Just thought it was interesting but will become annoying quickly if you don't turn this feature off.

I also uninstall all the updates and disable the prestocked apps that I don't use: Talk/Hangout, magazine, books.

Leticron

Well to disable mobile data at will I use a free widget called "APN Switch" which seems to work reliably thus the weather forecast (actual temperature tec.) is only updated if I either switch APN back on or activate WiFi. Normally I have WiFi and Bluetooth disabled to prolong battery life (as long as I don't need it) Others than that I left the phone for the most part the way it came.
-le

muddy211

IMO, the most useful app for any Android Device I have ever used is Quick Settings by Halfbit...It allows you to control Brightness, Ringer, Volume Control, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS Receiver, Mobile Data and Mobile Hotspot... And its free.. :D

Stearman11

Hello. I'm brand new here (former lurker) and have been using the information in the LG420G area.

I've now boldly moved into the smartphone world with the purchase of a Samsung Centura from Tracfone. Phone was ordered on Tuesday and arrived on Thursday. Since then, I've been learning Android and testing the phone before I activate it. So far I've had one hardware issue and two software issues.

The hardware issue was the difficulty installing a 32GB microSD card. I found the slot but the card kept pushing back out. My fingernail needed to grow just a little longer after a day to get the card to click in.

I have one major software issue that TF hasn't addressed yet. With my LG420G and my XP computer, I could use Bluetooth to transfer files in both directions. Now I can only transfer files (a camera test photo) from the phone to the computer. Computer to phone results in an error. It doesn't make sense to me that this wouldn't work. Any suggestions?

Nice to be here.

GaryST

Welcome. I don' remember having an issue with the sd card. My phone bluetooth connected on Windows 7 but I gave up on xp with . I am sure there is an app for that. The good news the USB to micro USB cable supplied connects perfectly for adding music or removing or copying videos or pictures. For me coming from a LG 290C and carrying an iPod touch for wifi email and web this is great to be able to carry only one capable device. And now I can connect with 3G if needed without wifi if I have to. No clock issues for me ether. The wifi connectivity is far better than my ipad or ipod by far on this phone. Battery life is good with a good phone signal. Weak signal not so good just like my lg 290c. Enjoy.

Tarkio101

Stearman11
November 10, 2013, 8:27 pm
Hello. I'm brand new here (former lurker) and have been using the information in the LG420G area.

I've now boldly moved into the smartphone world with the purchase of a Samsung Centura from Tracfone. Phone was ordered on Tuesday and arrived on Thursday. Since then, I've been learning Android and testing the phone before I activate it. So far I've had one hardware issue and two software issues.

The hardware issue was the difficulty installing a 32GB microSD card. I found the slot but the card kept pushing back out. My fingernail needed to grow just a little longer after a day to get the card to click in.

I have one major software issue that TF hasn't addressed yet. With my LG420G and my XP computer, I could use Bluetooth to transfer files in both directions. Now I can only transfer files (a camera test photo) from the phone to the computer. Computer to phone results in an error. It doesn't make sense to me that this wouldn't work. Any suggestions?

Nice to be here.
The micro sd card slot has a little spring in there. It will have some resistance as you push it in, and then it will be in there solidly. When taking it out, you will push the card in slightly, you will feel a little click, and the spring will push it out enough so that you can grab it. It does have an odd feel to it until you get used to it. It isn't easy to tell if it's in or not, but you'll get the hang of it.

I use the USB to micro USB cable and make transfers that way. My computer doesn't have bluetooth, but when I do bluetooth between phones, it seems slow to me. I use the cable and just drag and drop the files into the phone. The phone generally shows up as "D" drive, at least on my windows 7 machine.

Hope this helps, and good to have you here!

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
November 11, 2013, 1:41 am
Stearman11
November 10, 2013, 8:27 pm

Nice to be here.
The micro sd card slot has a little spring in there. It will have some resistance as you push it in, and then it will be in there solidly. When taking it out, you will push the card in slightly, you will feel a little click, and the spring will push it out enough so that you can grab it. It does have an odd feel to it until you get used to it. It isn't easy to tell if it's in or not, but you'll get the hang of it.

I use the USB to micro USB cable and make transfers that way. My computer doesn't have bluetooth, but when I do bluetooth between phones, it seems slow to me. I use the cable and just drag and drop the files into the phone. The phone generally shows up as "D" drive, at least on my windows 7 machine.

Hope this helps, and good to have you here!
It may not be a phone or Android issue, but a Bluetooth pairing issue.

How did you pair your phone and computer on Bluetooth?
Did you search for a device from your computer, or search for the PC from the phone?
If you searched from your PC, then try pairing by searching from the phone.

In the pairing process, did you select automatic file transfer for the phone, or is is set approve each transfer? I recommend you make it automatic for the phone. Generally, you don't want it automatic for the PC

What O/S does your PC have? In XP, for example, receiving a Bluetooth file from phone to PC usually requires additional steps if you have a firewall active.

Leticron

Tarkio101
I use the cable and just drag and drop the files into the phone. The phone generally shows up as "D" drive, at least on my windows 7 machine.
Just as additional Info: The phone shows up as 2 drives on my Window 8. One letter for the internal memory and one letter for the SD card. Which letters are to be used is normally determined by he operation system (usually the next 2 free ones . Mine mnormally show as M and N ;) If you need it to be a certain letter for some reason, you'd have to use additional software

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Leticron
November 11, 2013, 8:38 am
Tarkio101
I use the cable and just drag and drop the files into the phone. The phone generally shows up as "D" drive, at least on my windows 7 machine.
Just as additional Info: The phone shows up as 2 drives on my Window 8. One letter for the internal memory and one letter for the SD card. Which letters are to be used is normally determined by he operation system (usually the next 2 free ones . Mine mnormally show as M and N ;) If you need it to be a certain letter for some reason, you'd have to use additional software
That's interesting that the phone shows two drives on cable hook-up. I don't have this phone, but I have a tablet with similar setup -- it has two physical microSD cards -- one internal (not physically accessible to the user) and one external (physically accessible to the user.) I suspect the phone has the same setup.

I suspect the phone's O/S resides on the internal drive (probably the first letter drive) so you might want to be very careful not to un-mount it or disturb it.

On the tablet, I have inadvertently "disturbed" the internal drive, and had to reload the operating system a few times.

Stearman11

@GaryST & Tarkio101: Good news is that the phone recharges when plugged into the XP computer. Bad news is that the computer couldn't understand the new hardware.

@DoctorM: I'm running XP SP3. I was able to pair from either direction. Testing continues.

bummpr
Member Avatar

Stearman11
November 11, 2013, 2:36 pm
@GaryST & Tarkio101: Good news is that the phone recharges when plugged into the XP computer. Bad news is that the computer couldn't understand the new hardware.

@DoctorM: I'm running XP SP3. I was able to pair from either direction. Testing continues.
Did you allow the phone USB connection to load the new driver from the SD card?

Leticron

@DoctorM:
That's very odd... I probably misunderstand something here. But changing the drive letter, WINDOWS assigns to a device while establishing a connection, doesn't have any impact on whatever goes on internally in said device. Same goes for unmounting/safe ejecting such a connection (to avoid data loss/media corruption due to delayed write cycles...rather than just unplugging it).

Your "case" sounds more like a failed attempt of some boot-virus or root-kit. I can't think of any reason, why any device should have a way to unmount the drive/partition that houses the OS...It's like cutting off a branch while you're sitting on it.

tfuser19

The HSN.com S738C deal is back @ $129.95 shipped

Tarkio101

tfuser19
November 15, 2013, 10:44 pm
I am very curious to see the future of Tracfone, and Tracfone on HSN. Is the Centura simply the new 840 that will be around for a long time, and will they keep running it on special after special for more than a year? OR, will it be the first of many new "top level" phones for Tracfone and will they accelerate the pace of new phones coming out. I suspect that either BYOD will begin soon, or they will come out with more new phones faster.

Stearman11

Update on accessing my Centura'a SD storage.

Failures:
XP, Bluetooth(*), and Linux all fail to see the SD card. Even Android's feature to move apps to the SD card does not show the option
No available driver updates from MS, Samsung, or Toshiba (the card manufacturer)

Successes:
After mounting the Android as a camera instead of an MTP device, Bluetooth is able to transfer files from the phone to the XP computer. But not from the computer to the phone. :'(

Next steps:
Increasingly points to the SD card as the point of failure.

tfuser19

Stearman11,

You should not need to install any drivers to access the S738C's internal or external SD cards via Windows XP USB interface.

The S738C does not support moving apps to the external microSD card - so don't waste too much time trying.

What brand/model/etc microSD card do you have that you're having issues with?

Do you have another microSD card that you could try in the S738C, such as the one that comes with a LG840G?

It does sound like your microSD card is bad. Have you tried connected any other devices to your PC using the same USB-microUSB cable you're using for the S738C?

Stearman11

tfuser19
November 19, 2013, 10:49 pm
Stearman11,

You should not need to install any drivers to access the S738C's internal or external SD cards via Windows XP USB interface.

The S738C does not support moving apps to the external microSD card - so don't waste too much time trying.

What brand/model/etc microSD card do you have that you're having issues with?

Do you have another microSD card that you could try in the S738C, such as the one that comes with a LG840G?

It does sound like your microSD card is bad. Have you tried connected any other devices to your PC using the same USB-microUSB cable you're using for the S738C?
I went back to the computer store where I bought the original Class 4 Toshiba 32GB card. Switched in a store brand Class 10 card. Also downloaded a File Explorer app and test picture while I was there. Card is accessible. By the phone. Not by my XP machine. [insert angry emoticon] Installed Kies on the XP machine and it still fails to connect to the phone in MTP mode. I can see the onboard memory in camera mode but that still leaves 32GB. Right now I'm pretty disgusted and wholly unimpressed with the "smartphone" experience.

The tech guy also told me that Android has eliminated the ability to run apps from an SD card due to Piracy Issues.

Edit: Later that day: Still no luck. I'm p****d off at this thing. The LG420G was miles ahead in reliability usability.

tfuser19

Stearman11,
I have a Windows XP SP3 machine that accesses my S738C microSD via USB without the need for any drivers or other software to be installed - at least not that I'm aware of. I have used it to copy files to and from my class 10 microSD card installed in the phone.

Can you try your phone/cable with a different PC and see if that works?

BTW, I have not read of anyone else having this issue.

Leticron

tfuser19 is right Windows XPSP3 has all necessary drivers on board to read SD cards. Since the card is not defective we're left with 3 possible scenarios:
#1: Windows own drivers were corrupted for some reason : Remove/uninstall the driver in questions by means of the device manager (driver gets reinstalled during next reboot/start up)
#2: You have a Micro SDHC card.: Problem here is that SD cards and SDHC cards are not identical which causes older card readers that work just fine for SD to fail on the extended capacity of SDHC (SD: 4096 clusters of up to 512 blocks of 512 bytes thus max capacity:4096 x 512 x 512 = 1 Gigabyte typically pre-formatted in FAT-16) (in SDHC block capacity was increased to 2048 ultimately thus max capacity changed to 4096 x 2048 x 2048 = 32 Gigabytes which requires FAT-32 format !!)

#3: Defective Adapter: those cheap plastic adapters to read a micro card in a normal size card reader aren't all that sturdy. they're known to break easily

If the card is recognized but can't be read/written to check if your card or Adapter has a safety switch and if so, that its in the correct position

good luck
-le

Stearman11

It's gotten worse. I wanted to set up my voicemail but the thing tells me the Mobile Network is not available. Yes, mobile data is on. My suspicion is that Verizon has me throttled or that this phone is simply a piece of ****. This is a crappy phone, usable only for games. Again, this phone SUCKS. I was so much happier with my LG420G.

Right now I'm out about $150 for a device that barely works. Even pressing the green button to accept an incoming call doesn't work. Ask me if I'm pissed off.

Unless Indian tech support can figure this out, the phone's going back. And I'm really looking forward to that conversation. Not.

Leticron

@Stearman11:
That took me a while to figure out myself. To accept a call you don't PRESS the green button but swipe it to the right. On the other hand to drop a call you swipe from the red button to the left. Don't ask me why but that's how it works here.
-le

GaryST

Stearman11
November 24, 2013, 7:48 pm
It's gotten worse. I wanted to set up my voicemail but the thing tells me the Mobile Network is not available. Yes, mobile data is on. My suspicion is that Verizon has me throttled or that this phone is simply a piece of ****. This is a crappy phone, usable only for games. Again, this phone SUCKS. I was so much happier with my LG420G.

Right now I'm out about $150 for a device that barely works. Even pressing the green button to accept an incoming call doesn't work. Ask me if I'm pissed off.

Unless Indian tech support can figure this out, the phone's going back. And I'm really looking forward to that conversation. Not.
You do not need data turned on to set up voice mail. What number is the phone dialing to get to voicemail? For Verizon I use *86. Once set up you can edit the number dialed to include pauses and the code# for one button voicemail retrieval.
Sorry you are having so much trouble with your phone. Mine is working well for me. Good Luck.

Stearman11

Leticron
November 24, 2013, 9:24 pm
@Stearman11:
That took me a while to figure out myself. To accept a call you don't PRESS the green button but swipe it to the right. On the other hand to drop a call you swipe from the red button to the left. Don't ask me why but that's how it works here.
-le
Leticron, thanks for the info. You just saved me a lot of frustration.

Stearman11

The mystery is slowing unraveling. I hooked up the phone to a Windows7 machine and it instantly installed the driver and opened the SDHC card. So it's not the card or phone. And there's a difference between SD and SDHC cards. Same physical size, different file structures. I have a few links to follow up on for further research.

Guess I'll have to cut back on the angry raving. :'(

Stearman11

@GaryST:
Yup, *86 worked. It wasn't in the user manual. It's almost like I have a functioning phone.

GaryST

For me it works real well. The phone, text and wifi functionality is all real good. The phone sounds better at both ends than my LG290C on the same verizon network. The wifi reception is much better than my ipad or ipod is on par with my Laptop. I installed the Auto memory App and now the phone never gets laggy anymore without any input from me. Anything the phone won't do you can add an app so it can.

Stearman11

I think I'll put this thread to rest. I've spent too many hours trying to get the XP machine to connect to the SDHC card for no other reason than personal technical satisfaction. I purchased the phone simply to run an Android app, not for a music or photo collection. So it (mostly) works for what I bought it for.

Still, nice to be here and I appreciate all the replies.

Stearman11

bummpr
Member Avatar

Stearman11
December 4, 2013, 7:01 pm
I think I'll put this thread to rest. I've spent too many hours trying to get the XP machine to connect to the SDHC card for no other reason than personal technical satisfaction. I purchased the phone simply to run an Android app, not for a music or photo collection. So it (mostly) works for what I bought it for.

Stearman11
This app works very well to make a wireless network connection to your phone!

Airdroid App

annepani

shopcelldeals on ebay has reduced the Tracfone Samsung Galaxy Centura to $99.99, free shipping and no sales tax.

tfuser19

Stearman11
December 4, 2013, 7:01 pm

Stearman11
My Windows XP machine can access the microSD and internal phone SD just fine via USB. Anyone else using XP with their Centura here?

phoenix1
Member Avatar

In today's Target ad, they have the Centura on sale for $99.99.

Stearman11

Now I'm looking for a case for the phone. Online seems to be the only option. Recommendations?

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Qvc.com is having a sale on the Samsung Galaxy Centura (S738C) today, December 10th.
Not sure how long the special will last, but according to the website, the $119.96 package includes:

"Samsung 738 Galaxy Centura, Lithium-ion battery, wall charger, charging cable, car charger, colored
case, Promotional Airtime PIN for 600 minutes of talk, 600 texts, and 600MB of data/90 days of service
when activated within 60 days, triple minutes on all future minute purchases for life of phone, and more.
You'll also receive an Android app bundle with Trend Micro Mobile Security, a $25.00 voucher from Zinio,
and much more."

For more info: http://www.qvc.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Prepaid-Android-Tracfone-with-600-Mins,-Text-Data-&-Accs.

ShadowDancer :)

phoenix1
Member Avatar

ShadowDancer
December 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
Qvc.com is having a sale on the Samsung Galaxy Centura (S738C) today, December 10th.
Not sure how long the special will last...

According to the small print, it's not going to last long...

Mins, Text Data & Accs.

Retail Value: $466.90

QVC Price: $143.00

Today's Special Value Price: $119.96

Good until December 11, 2013 2:59 a.m. ET

Free Standard S&H

Leticron

Stearman11
December 9, 2013, 8:26 pm
Now I'm looking for a case for the phone. Online seems to be the only option. Recommendations?
I got a case with my HSN order but ordered another one through Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D61N3M2/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fits nicely, only thing: the colors of the original are more "purplish" not as blue as on the picture.

-le

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Leticron
December 10, 2013, 11:33 pm
Stearman11
December 9, 2013, 8:26 pm
I got a case with my HSN order but ordered another one through Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D61N3M2/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fits nicely, only thing: the colors of the original are more "purplish" not as blue as on the picture.

-le
I'm not sure what type of phone case that you're looking for, but when I was at my local Wal-Mart tonight, I saw a black phone case that was actually packaged as a Straight Talk accessory. The package said that the case was specifically manufactured for use with the Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy Centura.

I don't think there is any difference between the Tracfone Centura and the Straight Talk Centura. So, that might be a possibility to consider. Perhaps, Turk can take a photo of the case the next time he goes to one of his local Wal-Marts and post it for people to see.

But, Amazon is a very good place to look for phone cases.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
ShadowDancer

when I was at my local Wal-Mart tonight, I saw a black phone case that was actually packaged as a Straight Talk
accessory. The package said that the case was specifically manufactured for use with the Straight Talk Samsung
Galaxy Centura.

I don't think there is any difference between the Tracfone Centura and the Straight Talk Centura. So, that might be
a possibility to consider. Perhaps, Turk can take a photo of the case the next time he goes to one of his local Wal-
Marts and post it for people to see.
* Yeah, I see that Centura case all the time at my Walmart stores (most Walmarts have a Straight Talk accessory section now).

* It's a thick, black gel case, with a little pattern design on it here and there ... it's nice, but the price is $15 though...

* Gosh, I was just there today, at Walmarts! (lol)
* Anyway, I could get a picture of it if anyone cares to see it ... but for $15, I think I'd look elsewhere, just sayin'...

B-) Turk*Mart -- opening in 2014

annepani

Turk
December 11, 2013, 1:10 am
Yeah, I see that Centura case all the time at my Walmart stores (most Walmarts have a Straight Talk accessory section now) ... Anyway, I could get a picture of it (the Centura case) if anyone cares to see it ... but for $15, I think I'd look elsewhere, just sayin'... B-)

Turk*Mart -- opening in 2014
I would like to see a picture of it.
And also, if they have one and if it jumps out at you, could you take a picture of a case for the Huawei Glory.

Thanks so much.

Stearman11

I've found what I think is my best option. Certainly not the cheapest but it's reviewed highly and not from Walmart, which is a big plus for me. Since I rely on the phone to make money, $15 plus shipping is easily justified.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Ok, I was at one of my many Walmart stores tonight, so I took a few quick pictures of the Samsung Galaxy Centura case.
* Most Walmarts sell some Straight Talk accessories -- so here is the case for the Straight Talk Centura -- price is $15.
* It's a thick, tough, black gel case with a pattern design on the back and sides... not bad really, if you want to spend $15.
* ST only has cases for: iPhones, Centura, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG Optimus Logic/Dynamic - (no Huawei Glory cases)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pictures provided by Turk and his Turkberry 3 B-)

Stearman11

Stearman11
December 11, 2013, 7:14 pm
I've found what I think is my best option. Certainly not the cheapest but it's reviewed highly and not from Walmart, which is a big plus for me. Since I rely on the phone to make money, $15 plus shipping is easily justified.
Received the phone case today, one day ahead of the scheduled arrival window. Thing fits perfectly and all ports are aligned. Surface is grippable, unlike the smooth plastic & chrome of the phone itself. Vastly more comfortable to hold. Haven't applied the screen protector because I'm worried about losing touchscreen sensitivity. Right now, but without having placed a voice call through the case, I'm happy with it.

Marcia

Still waiting on my new phone - which is one day LATE in Amazon guaranteed on time delivery! Normally I don't care if a package is a day late, but I was REALLY looking forward to playing with my new phone yesterday. After reading 6 pages of posts here about the Samsung Centura Galaxy,- yes I read every post - and noting all the trouble people have had transferring large quantities of minutes over, I decided to call the Tracfone CSR and ask about the best method of transfer - online or over the phone.

Mark, the CSR rep, recommended using the CS rep to transfer because he said the issue still had not been cleared up. The problem is exaggerated if you are transferring from an older Tracfone phone that you've had more than 2 years, but also in the 3/3/3 transfers. So...to be safe, if you transfer to an Android Tracfone and have a lot of minutes -in my case over 3500 - save yourself some grief and do it over the phone.

Marcia

Stearman11
December 16, 2013, 7:42 pm
Stearman11
December 11, 2013, 7:14 pm
Received the phone case today, one day ahead of the scheduled arrival window. Thing fits perfectly and all ports are aligned. Surface is grippable, unlike the smooth plastic & chrome of the phone itself. Vastly more comfortable to hold. Haven't applied the screen protector because I'm worried about losing touchscreen sensitivity. Right now, but without having placed a voice call through the case, I'm happy with it.
I put a screen protector on my LG840 and didn't lose sensitivity, but I just could not get the tiny bubbles out. Drives me batty to see them. Once the protector cover is on it's hard to peel up without damaging it so you need to get it right the first time or bubbles and batty you will get!

Stearman11

Don't need batty. Looks like I'm going screen protector-less. Seems like overkill anyway.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

Stearman11
December 17, 2013, 9:40 pm
Don't need batty. Looks like I'm going screen protector-less. Seems like overkill anyway.
Here's a couple of links on how to apply screen protectors, there's 2 different versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdiIII_Qd70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oJX99p3kEc

With the screens being plastic it's usually a good thing to use them, just make sure to get the ones that are the right size for your phone and if you order on Amazon, check out the reviews and see what the people say about them, some are a lot better than others...and always make sure to get the ones that have more than one in the package. There are a few that have free replacements for life. My friend at work swore she'd never use them but when she got her new Iphone she had one put on and was glad she did because she realized how many scratches her phone would have gotten.

I ordered these for my Valet, but won't get to try them until after Christmas, but they have good ratings and the seller is good. A big plus is they send you 6 and if you really mess up, they'll send you more for free-lol.

Supershieldz

Marcia

Has anyone solved the problem of the phone losing 6 hours? I'm experiencing this with my new phone. So far it's the only issue I'm having.

GaryST

Mine as done it a few times. Usually after an apps update. Every time but once I toggle off and on Automatic date and time and it's fixed. One time I had to re-start the phone and that fixed it for a while anyway.

On another note it appears the this phone has a glass not plastic screen judging from folks reporting cracked screens after dropping on other forums. Looks like glass to me (no scratches) as well.

Marcia

GaryST
December 18, 2013, 10:45 am
Mine as done it a few times. Usually after an apps update. Every time but once I toggle off and on Automatic date and time and it's fixed. One time I had to re-start the phone and that fixed it for a while anyway.

On another note it appears the this phone has a glass not plastic screen judging from folks reporting cracked screens after dropping on other forums. Looks like glass to me (no scratches) as well.
I woke up this AM to the phone reading 6 hours off. I called Samsung and they said there was nothing they could do except transfer me to the Tracfone experts so gave me the # of Tracfone - the regular CS line. I called Tracfone and THEY said there was nothing they could do because it was automatic updates and that the phone would automatically update itself. She said aside from calling *22890 there was no more that could be done. I did call the number but the automaton said the phone was activated - which I already knew. It really perturbs me. Even though I rarely travel, I want the time to display right 100% of the time. How hard is this?? I'll keep the phone a week and if it continues to do this I'm returning it. This is the first time I've been dissatisfied with Tracfone CS. I cannot believe there is not a real fix to this.

runner

Marcia: Do you have game apps on your phone? I had time setting back 6 hours and I think the culprit was Bejeweled Blitz. I uninstalled this and installed Candy Crush. I had the time problem again. I deleted both and haven't had any problem for probably 2 months.

Another thing that seems to help with the time setting is after you exit out of certain apps (probably ones you spend a lot of time on), power down your phone and power back on. I don't get time resetting when I did this (I don't believe) and it helps with longer battery time on same charge.

Or just return the phone if it's not something you want to deal with this.

Marcia

runner
December 18, 2013, 1:17 pm
Marcia: Do you have game apps on your phone? I had time setting back 6 hours and I think the culprit was Bejeweled Blitz. I uninstalled this and installed Candy Crush. I had the time problem again. I deleted both and haven't had any problem for probably 2 months.

Another thing that seems to help with the time setting is after you exit out of certain apps (probably ones you spend a lot of time on), power down your phone and power back on. I don't get time resetting when I did this (I don't believe) and it helps with longer battery time on same charge.

Or just return the phone if it's not something you want to deal with this.
I read your original post, but no I don't have any games. I do have a some apps, but they are news, weather,organizers and such - no games. I have one app that I don't think I'll use at all so will delete that one, but I'm not convinced the time issue is app related. It's quite frustrating -this should be easy. I've never had a cell phone (and I've only had Tracfones) that had this issue. I've not had any trouble for several hours now so I'll keep a check on it. I've not checked the Amazon review website to see if anyone there has had issues like this.

tfuser19

Marcia,

Under what circumstances have you noticed to phone time to go from correct to incorrect? When you turn on the phone or what?

There are all kinds of red herrings out there on this problem.

The problem has nothing to do with apps that you installed, and there are plenty of other suggestions that did not work for me.

The solution I have found that worked for me is to install ClockSync app from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.org.amip.ClockSync .

You phone does not need to be rooted phone to use this app:
"There are 2 modes: automatic for root users and assisted manual mode for users without root (rootless mode).

Rootless mode features:
- automatic atomic time retrieval with configurable interval
- notification when offset exceeds user set threshold
- assisted manual synchronization with the hint what time/date to set"

I would recommend the following under ClockSyn app's settings:

Timeout (seconds) : 10
Enable: checked
Interval: 1 hour
Only on Wi-Fi: checked
Only when awake: checked
Show notification: checked
Select time zone: set to your correct time zone
Rootless mode: checked
Sync on boot: checked
Keep screen on: checked

Everything else is unchecked or default settings.

Under the phone's Settings->SYSTEM->Date & time
verify that both of the following are checked:
Automatic date & time and
Automatic time zone

I have it installed on several Centuras and it seems to prevent the problem without requiring you to do anything, even on an unrooted phone.

Let us know if this fixes the problem or not.

Marcia

tfuser19, THANKS! Got this all done - hopefully that will fix it. It's not a huge issue, just an annoying one and I can't believe that Samsung and Tracfone acted like they'd never come across this before. Glad you posted here - may help other folks with the same problem.

I don't understand the term "rooted" and "rootless". I'm new to Androids and have only heard the terms here on this forum for the first time. What do they mean?

tfuser19

Marcia,
See if this helps explain rooting:
"What is Rooting? Why you should and Why you shouldn't do it?"
http://www.droidiser.com/2012/04/rooting-your-android-device.html

Marcia

Yes, it helps tremendously! Many, many thanks! Now I know it's something I really don't want to get involved with. I know enough to be dangerous to my phone and PC as it is!! I'm certainly not technically inclined enough to be comfortable with this.

Marcia

I posted my issue on Amazon and received this reply, too:

Dogcatcher answered:

"I had a similar problem. Went to Settings > Date & Time, and unchecked the box for Automatic time zone. Time has been accurate since making that change. If you remain mostly in one time zone, this change should not affect your use of the phone."

Marcia

Tried to search for an answer about this but couldn't readily find it. I am new to Androids and have only had basic Tracfones in the past so please bare with my ignorance about WiFi. Is there any reason I should not keep WiFi enabled on my phone? In the house it's great, but what about out and about town? Is there a disadvantage to turning it off or keep it on? Under what circumstances would I want to disable it?

hpham
Member Avatar

Leaving Wifi on when it's not needed will drain your battery faster than having it turned off.

Marcia

Is there an advantage to installing an APN switch? Is this the same as just disabling the WiFi using the "settings" widget when not in use?

hpham
Member Avatar

From what I read on Google Play about the APN Switch app, it only turns on/off 3G (data network) connection, not Wifi. Anyhow, you should turn off Data too when it's not needed, so the Google apps running in the background won't eat up your data bucket.

Leticron

I installed the APN switch and I believe (plus my available Amount of Data shows) that there is no Data connection using up your bucket in the background or otherwise. It's independent from your WiFi settings (you don't use Data while on WiFi) Basically it prevents Apps from using the internet and thus preserves your Data bucket.

-le

tfuser19

Marcia
December 22, 2013, 10:01 am
Is there an advantage to installing an APN switch? Is this the same as just disabling the WiFi using the "settings" widget when not in use?
Marcia,
Mobile data (3G) can be turned on/off using Settings->Data usage-> Mobile data->on/off and should be kept off to prevent the data bucket from being drained.

The GO Power Master app I use has a switch to do this, so I don't have a separate APN switch app installed.

As mentioned in the other post, WiFi is not the same as mobile data coming from the 3G network thru an APN .

If WiFi and mobile data are both turned on, and WiFi is not available - then mobile data will get used, so I always keep WiFi off unless I really need to use it.

annepani

Someone on another forum just posted that his Tracfone Centura just did a system update on itself and wondered if anyone knew what it was for. Did anyone here have their Trac Centura perform an update on itself? What changed?

My non-Tracfone non-Centura Samsung did its own system update a week or 2 ago. It went from Android 4.0.1 to 4.1.2. Is that Jelly Bean? I didn't request it. It just did it.

Stearman11

I didn't buy my Centura for music listening so I didn't try plugging in headphones until a day or two ago. Bad news, no sound through the headphones. The sound continues through the speaker. I expected the jack to cut off the external speaker and send the signal to the headphones but that's not happening. Probably something simple I'm missing?

Leticron

@Stearman11: that sounds like the plug wasn't put in all the way. (Depending on brand and manufacturer the jacks diameters are sometimes slightly above tolerances and thus might need a little extra push to fit.) The build in speaker does indeed cut off once the headphones are connected. I had to twist the jack a little the first time but then it worked flawlessly.

@annepani: I just checked with my Tracfone Centura: no Update available...still on Android 4.0.4

tfuser19

The firmware update will change the build/version from ending in MC1 to MJ1. It won't change Android version. Not sure what this update does. I don't have it on my phones.

tfuser19

Stearman11,
Make sure headphones plugged in all the way and no interference by case/cover.

Leticron

@tfuser19: Thanks for the info...still MC1 here so no automatic update here either.

tfuser19

Someone's image with info after CENTURA firmware update to MJ1:

http://i.imgur.com/VNFReUD.png

phoenix1
Member Avatar

Android has been staggering their updates, at least they did with KitKat 4.4. So hang in there ;)

Leticron

Let's say I'm not too eager to update (esp. since if I don't have a clue what is going to be changed and what might or might not work afterwards) I was just curious. :)

And Yeah Merry Xmas everybody!

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.