Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) Samsung Galaxy Centura (S738C) Phone Topic
Topic Started: March 12, 2013, 2:40 pm (37,618 Views)
weiden1

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts, or questions on this phone, please post it all here ... thanks.

* Attention Turkamaniacs: Tracfone Promotion Codes do not work with the new Tracfone Android Phones.

* Tracfone Samsung Galaxy Centura Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?
* Net10 Samsung Galaxy Centura Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?

* Located in the Topics Forum: Tracfone/Net10 - Apps for Androids - we discuss different apps for android devices.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sweetiepoosmom
October 3, 2013, 3:16 pm
sweetiepoosmom
October 3, 2013, 3:10 pm
3:07PM -- telephone number transferred from old phone (LG840g AT&T) to the Centura (Verizon)
Just took a few minutes

So far, nothing is showing up on the TracFone check your balance screen.

Cross your fingers that the 3000 minutes get transferred over and into each of the 3 buckets/tanks.

Stay tuned.
3:12PM OMG! Everything transferred into each of the 3 tanks/buckets. :wub:

I am shocked and absolutely cannot believe it went so smoothly.

Now, I'll try to add the 600 minutes (to each of the 3 tanks/buckets) that came with the phone.

Stay tuned!
Wow - that is great. Maybe trac has learned alot in the last few days. I have had mine a coupla of days. Have been very happy with my LG800 so I think I will transfer my very old LG220C over to the new one. CDMA to CDMA.

Today was the first day that I was actually able to access the SD card with a data cable connected to the computer. Couldn't do it yesterday. Found out that only MP3 files will play on this phone. Specs say it will play WAV files but I dont have any of those. There are a couple of other formats that I also dont have - and not gonna start getting different format music files. Also transferred ringtones from my LG800 SD card to this one and they actually show up as options for a ringtone.

I was disappointed in the Google card cause its not really a card. On the back it says "credit codes expire 12/31/14" but someone else was saying 21 days after activation.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sweetiepoosmom

weiden1
October 3, 2013, 9:33 pm
sweetiepoosmom
October 3, 2013, 3:16 pm
sweetiepoosmom
October 3, 2013, 3:10 pm
3:07PM -- telephone number transferred from old phone (LG840g AT&T) to the Centura (Verizon)
Just took a few minutes

So far, nothing is showing up on the TracFone check your balance screen.

Cross your fingers that the 3000 minutes get transferred over and into each of the 3 buckets/tanks.

Stay tuned.
3:12PM OMG! Everything transferred into each of the 3 tanks/buckets. :wub:

I am shocked and absolutely cannot believe it went so smoothly.

Now, I'll try to add the 600 minutes (to each of the 3 tanks/buckets) that came with the phone.

Stay tuned!
Wow - that is great. Maybe trac has learned alot in the last few days. I have had mine a coupla of days. Have been very happy with my LG800 so I think I will transfer my very old LG220C over to the new one. CDMA to CDMA.

Today was the first day that I was actually able to access the SD card with a data cable connected to the computer. Couldn't do it yesterday. Found out that only MP3 files will play on this phone. Specs say it will play WAV files but I dont have any of those. There are a couple of other formats that I also dont have - and not gonna start getting different format music files. Also transferred ringtones from my LG800 SD card to this one and they actually show up as options for a ringtone.

I was disappointed in the Google card cause its not really a card. On the back it says "credit codes expire 12/31/14" but someone else was saying 21 days after activation.
"I was disappointed in the Google card cause its not really a card. On the back it says "credit codes expire 12/31/14" but someone else was saying 21 days after activation."

Whoever told you that the $25 credit expires 21 days after activation is giving you incorrect information.

If you've added/activated the credit, call Google Play at: 1-855-466-4438. The representative can tell you the exact date and time the $25 credit expires.

The card I activated today expires in late 2014 -- but not on 12/31/2014.

ST Dog

sqwento
October 2, 2013, 10:09 pm
as my phone wasn't responding to larger amounts.
Now that's a funny one.

The phone doesn't have to respond at all as all the info is on their servers, not the phone.

tfuser19

tfuser19
October 2, 2013, 9:15 pm
I posted my number porting and transfer to S738C experience in the Transferring Number & Minutes - Questions? thread.
Okay, after a 26 minutes call with Tracfone Executive Resolutions, the data bucket is filled to the expected level too! :)

sweetiepoosmom

tfuser19
October 4, 2013, 10:32 am
tfuser19
October 2, 2013, 9:15 pm
I posted my number porting and transfer to S738C experience in the Transferring Number & Minutes - Questions? thread.
Okay, after a 26 minutes call with Tracfone Executive Resolutions, the data bucket is filled to the expected level too! :)
YEAH!

I wish that we were as lucky as the person who got thousands of minutes of calls/texts/data added to his/her account after several TracFone reps kept adding time in response to his/her problem. :-/

acefuture

sweetiepoosmom
October 4, 2013, 11:13 am
I wish that we were as lucky as the person who got thousands of minutes of calls/texts/data added to
his/her account after several TracFone reps kept adding time in response to his/her problem. :-/
That would me moi. B-)

Yes, the Tracfone gods smiled down on me this time. Besides the extra minutes and time, I'm really liking this phone. I feel like a real adult with a fully capable phone. I even like the case that HSN included. It's the type of case that I would have bought on my own. I think I can finally stop carrying my iPod Touch. :O

sweetiepoosmom

acefuture
October 4, 2013, 12:44 pm
sweetiepoosmom
October 4, 2013, 11:13 am
I wish that we were as lucky as the person who got thousands of minutes of calls/texts/data added to
his/her account after several TracFone reps kept adding time in response to his/her problem. :-/
That would me moi. B-)

Yes, the Tracfone gods smiled down on me this time. Besides the extra minutes and time, I'm really liking this phone. I feel like a real adult with a fully capable phone. I even like the case that HSN included. It's the type of case that I would have bought on my own. I think I can finally stop carrying my iPod Touch. :O
You may have won Tracfone's biggest lottery ever! Amazing. I'm very happy for you. :)

I'm having surgery next week on my right wrist and right index finger, so I won't be able to play with the phone and see exactly what it can do -- but I do have a few styluses (or styli), so hopefully, I'll be able to spend some quality time with the phone. :-/

tfuser19

@sweetiepoosmom,
Time to train that left hand ;) ........ hope surgery goes well.

Took 22 minutes to transfer minutes from another old deactivated Tracfone (number got ported to google voice) to new S738C today - Gods gave me a break today and all 3 buckets came over correctly. :)

sweetiepoosmom

tfuser19
October 4, 2013, 6:01 pm
@sweetiepoosmom,
Time to train that left hand ;) ........ hope surgery goes well.

Took 22 minutes to transfer minutes from another old deactivated Tracfone (number got ported to google voice) to new S738C today - Gods gave me a break today and all 3 buckets came over correctly. :)
I think that you've got some great karma going!

This may be TMI, but last year I had surgery on my left elbow (cubital tunnel surgery) -- in layperson's terms: moved the ulnar nerve because it was "trapped" in the elbow causing tingling and numbness down the outside of the left arm from the elbow to the outside of my left hand all the way down to my left little finger. I also had trigger finger release on my left ring finger.

I've had Google Voice for years but never really used it. Time to start using it.

Leticron

Louise29
September 20, 2013, 1:36 am
Quote:

Louise, I don't think moving minutes to this phone will actually "convert" them to texts or data--unless you used the
minutes for texting or data..
I hope you're right... I'd really like to have a phone with decent apps.
Well my Galaxy arrived last week. I transferred number and 174 minutes from my LG 840G and it translated into 180Min, 180Text and 180MB Data.
I haven't activated the promotion code yet...but so far I'm nothing but happy with this puppy...I might root it to extend battery life (which isn't all that bad BTW) but so far no complaints here. The $25 Google Play are more than enough to fill up your 6 home screens with Apps....I used mostly free ones so I still have ~$19 left.
Music and Videos I put on a 16GB Micro SD card...Simply create the same directories you have on the build in Memory and the phone finds them.
ATM it seems tho that the phone is a bit picky if you offer a video with the wrong resolution.(Perhaps I'm just spoiled by my Video player on the computer which plays whatever you throw at it :) Video on a phone is a fairly new concept to me ) So I had to convert an AVI to MP4 480x240 with the x264 codec but I need to play around with this more to make a final statement (If you prefer presets...any Android / Galaxy should do except for the extremely big ones 800x800 etc.)
I once used the preset for Samsung Galaxy GIO: Extension:MP4 Codec : x264 Size : 480x320 Video Bitrate 900 Frame rate:25 Audio Codec : aac Audio Bitrate 128 Audio Sample rate 44100 and that came out just fine. :)

-le

weiden1

acefuture
[/quote
That would me moi. B-)

Well You Did Luck Out - Good Deal. I too bought this phone hoping that I can now carry only one device. I love my iPod Touch but would like to just have a great phone. Today I was able to transfer my contacts from my LG800 to the new Samsung Centura using the bluetooth method. I have always used a SIM card reader in the past to transfer so this was really nice and saved me tons of time and frustration typing in the names/numbers.

tfuser19

@all,

Be on the lookout for a problem where this phone's clock jumps back 5 or 6 hours for no apparent reason.

I've read about it and just happened to notice it on my phone today. If you find a permanent fix, please post.

weiden1

weiden1

Today I was able to transfer my contacts from my LG800 to the new Samsung Centura using the bluetooth method. I have always used a SIM card reader in the past to transfer so this was really nice and saved me tons of time and frustration typing in the names/numbers.
Duh, I didn't transfer my contacts, I copied them. Sorry.

weiden1

Does anyone know how to have a "memo" on this phone?? .. Would I need to get an app for that?
I have many of em on my LG 800 and use them alot. You know just bits of information that I can refer to.
Thanks.

ciliegia

weiden1
October 5, 2013, 5:21 pm
weiden1

Today I was able to transfer my contacts from my LG800 to the new Samsung Centura using the bluetooth method. I have always used a SIM card reader in the past to transfer so this was really nice and saved me tons of time and frustration typing in the names/numbers.
Duh, I didn't transfer my contacts, I copied them. Sorry.
How did you copy the contacts?

weiden1

ciliegia said "How did you copy the contacts? "

The credit goes to hpham_53 on the yahoo tf blog. This is a generic copying of contacts.
The specifics of each step depends on your particular model of phone. I had an LG 800g for my old phone.

1. Turn on Bluetooth on each pone and make them "visible".
2. Make each Search, Find, and Connect to each other.
3. Go to contact list of old phone and bring up the menu (icon looks like a sheet of paper with lines on it).
4. Choose "send all" option and "via bluetooth".
5. You'll see a progress bar showing contacts being written to ".vcf" file.
6. New phone should pop up message asking if it should accept ".vcf" file being sent - Choose OK.
7. This will take just a few seconds.

After send is complete bring up contact List on new phone and they should all be there.

I can't get this quote thing to work right so will just use cut and paste.

Leticron

weiden1
October 5, 2013, 5:29 pm
Does anyone know how to have a "memo" on this phone??
Lol, I had the same problem so I downloaded a free app called Color notepad that does just fine for me,
but look around there are numerous others to pick from. ;)

-le

ST Dog

tfuser19
October 4, 2013, 11:27 pm
If you find a permanent fix, please post.
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-centura/740602-time-keeps-changing-despite-settings.html

Post # 2 refers to this app that syncs the clock to a stable source.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.org.amip.ClockSync&hl=en

Supposedly works to keep the time correct.

Automatic updates require root access on the phone though.
Granted, it's simple enough to do, some are wary of doing so.

Then the last post here says that his is still doing it even with the App, even a non-stock ROM (doesn't say which on).

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-centura/734315-problem-clock.html

May be a hardware bug. The app above should fix it regularly (if you root the phone), but it's only as good as the sync interval., Looks to default to ever hour. So it could change right after a sync, then be off until the next sync.
But the sync uses the data connection, though it should only be a few KB.

One of the Apps that uses the GPS clock might work too, and not have data charges (My tablet doesn't have GPS so I can't test that).
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.canaryx.gpsaids.donate

Still have to root the phone for them to update the time automatically. Google claims it's a security issue, so apps can't change the time normally.
"it is by design that applications can not change the time. There are many subtle aspects of security that can rely on the current time, such as certificate expiration, license management, etc. We do not want to allow third party applications to globally disrupt the system in this way." © some Google employee.

tfuser19

ST Dog,
Thanks for the posts. I'm not planning to root my phone, so unless I missed something, there's no solution for my phone. This issue has nothing to do with GPS or getting the time from the cell network, since I had the GPS off and unchecked getting time from cell network, then still saw the problem. Toggling airplane mode on/off resets the time to the correct value.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

tfuser19
October 6, 2013, 12:31 am
ST Dog,
Thanks for the posts. I'm not planning to root my phone, so unless I missed something, there's no solution for my phone. This issue has nothing to do with GPS or getting the time from the cell network, since I had the GPS off and unchecked getting time from cell network, then still saw the problem. Toggling airplane mode on/off resets the time to the correct value.
It might be related to Android 4.0. A lot of the "problems" people might be running into, may have less to with the phone, and more to do with the Android version.

I had a similar problem on a tablet running Android 4.0.

When I had the time set to "network," it would not display the correct time, but when I set it to manual (or something) it would keep the time I set it at. I can't give you exact settings because my tablet is down right now (I have to reload the OS).

ST Dog

tfuser19
This issue has nothing to do with GPS or getting the time from the cell network, since I had the GPS off and unchecked getting time from cell network, then still saw the problem. Toggling airplane mode on/off resets the time to the correct value.
Agree it's not caused by those things. The apps use more stable sources to update the system clock on a regular basis.
The GPS clock should be good, as long as you have a GPS signal, and not require use of the data network.
But, the apps that use GPS aren't free. The NTP apps are.

And yes, they need root to modify the system clock. You have to decide which is a bigger issue, root(possible warranty issues) or an inaccurate clock (making alarms unusable).

Someone claimed to have CyanogenMod on it and saw the same problem, so I think it's a hardware bug.
Quote:

It might be related to Android 4.0. A lot of the "problems" people might be running into, may have less to with the phone, and more to do with the Android version.
Doc, My cheap ICS table never had a problem with the time.
I just turned it back on, after 2 months of non use and the clock is still accurate. It's running 4.0.4.

RetiredinNY

tfuser19
@all,

Be on the lookout for a problem where this phone's clock jumps back 5 or 6 hours for no apparent reason.

I've read about it and just happened to notice it on my phone today. If you find a permanent fix, please post.
I had the same thing happen twice within the first day I had the phone.

I changed the time format to 24 hour time and the phone has kept good time for over a week now.

This may or may not be a "fix" but I thought it worthy to mention.

runner

For clock issues: go to Calendar on your phone; go to menu; click on settings and make sure the correct time zone is checked off. My default was Australia, hence the clock resetting/syncing.

For people having problems with redeeming their google credit: when you go to promocard website to redeem your credit, the date should already be prefilled. If not, completely exit out of your browser and try again. It took me a few tries before the date was filled. First time I tried, the date was not filled and after I gave the IMEI/serial#, it gave me a message about the 21-day expiration. Just keep trying. After I was successfully able to fill out the info, it instructed me to print out the activation code (which is different than the redeem code) and sent me a confirmation email. From there I went to google playstore and clicked on redeem to get my credit.

There were a lot of bugs in transferring my minutes online for me when I started the process on Frieday morning 9/27. I had over 1100 minutes on my LG 840 and only 1100 minutes/1100 texts/1100 mb transferred. I got my bonus 600 minutes/texts/data by putting my airtime code/promotion code that was on the HSN shipping order on line when I activated/ported my number. I got rest of my missing minutes by calling the CS (but they only transferred that to minutes) and texts/mb (by going to Tracfone website support forum and posting).

ST Dog

runner
October 6, 2013, 3:44 pm
For clock issues: go to Calendar on your phone; go to menu; click on settings and make sure the correct time zone is checked off. My default was Australia, hence the clock resetting/syncing.
Plenty of reports elsewhere that that doesn't solve the issue.

Try the thread I linked earlier. You'll see several different "fixes" that weren't actually.
Search the android forums and you'll find other threads with similar supposed fixes, that end up not fixing anything.

So, my first question is, how long has it gone without resetting since you changed the calendar?

How often was it resetting before the change?

Tarkio101

runner

For people having problems with redeeming their google credit: when you go to promocard website to redeem your credit, the date should already be prefilled. If not, completely exit out of your browser and try again. It took me a few tries before the date was filled. First time I tried, the date was not filled and after I gave the IMEI/serial#, it gave me a message about the 21-day expiration. Just keep trying. After I was successfully able to fill out the info, it instructed me to print out the activation code (which is different than the redeem code) and sent me a confirmation email. From there I went to google playstore and clicked on redeem to get my credit.

There were a lot of bugs in transferring my minutes online for me when I started the process on Frieday morning 9/27. I had over 1100 minutes on my LG 840 and only 1100 minutes/1100 texts/1100 mb transferred. I got my bonus 600 minutes/texts/data by putting my airtime code/promotion code that was on the HSN shipping order on line when I activated/ported my number. I got rest of my missing minutes by calling the CS (but they only transferred that to minutes) and texts/mb (by going to Tracfone website support forum and posting).
Except Australia is not 6 hours off any time zone in the states, let alone 6 hours earlier. This is a known issue for which there is no fix currently. Every forum regarding this phone on any carrier has the same type of discussions going on. Many people have thought they fixed it, only to have it return later. Any fix will have to be a Samsung update to the phones software. It's not something that is due to a faulty setting on the users end.

tfuser19

RetiredinNY
October 6, 2013, 12:20 pm
tfuser19
@all,

I changed the time format to 24 hour time and the phone has kept good time for over a week now.

@RetiredinNY,

This sounds like the most viable solution which I have not tried yet, so going try that if setting the time manually and unchecking Automatic date & time and Automatic time zone does not fix it.

Did you still keep the setting to get network time and timezone (Automatic date & time, Automatic time zone)?

RetiredinNY

tfuser19
October 6, 2013, 7:43 pm
RetiredinNY
October 6, 2013, 12:20 pm
tfuser19
@all,

@RetiredinNY,
This sounds like the most viable solution which I have not tried yet, so going to do that now. Did you still keep the setting to get network time and timezone?
Yes, automatic date and automatic time zone are checked.

tfuser19

runner

@runner,

Unchecking time zone confirmed by my phone as not fixing the clock time shift problem.

1100 minutes is maximum time you get when you transfer service from old phone to new using the web. Step 2 is to call Tracfone as you did. Nothing new here, but worth noting. They should have transferred over 1100 to voice/text/data - but they seem to have issues doing this something and must contact them again like you did if it does not happen.

tfuser19

ST Dog
October 6, 2013, 10:04 am
tfuser19
This issue has nothing to do with GPS or getting the time from the cell network, since I had the GPS off and unchecked getting time from cell network, then still saw the problem. Toggling airplane mode on/off resets the time to the correct value.
Agree it's not caused by those things. The apps use more stable sources to update the system clock on a regular basis.
The GPS clock should be good, as long as you have a GPS signal, and not require use of the data network.
But, the apps that use GPS aren't free. The NTP apps are.

And yes, they need root to modify the system clock. You have to decide which is a bigger issue, root(possible warranty issues) or an inaccurate clock (making alarms unusable).

Someone claimed to have CyanogenMod on it and saw the same problem, so I think it's a hardware bug.
Quote:

Doc, My cheap ICS table never had a problem with the time.
I just turned it back on, after 2 months of non use and the clock is still accurate. It's running 4.0.4.
@ST Dog,
Leaving GPS on or letting an app use my network data or WiFi all the time is a no-go for me.

Not going down the rooting path unless I see reports from other people that it can be successfully done on this phone.

Current options are test setting phone time manually with no updates from network, then test 24 hour time display mode.

tfuser19

@all,
Okay, phone settings was WiFi on, Airplane mode on, Automatic date & time and Automatic time zone unchecked, Use 24-hour format unchecked.

Actual time was around 8PM and I had seen it displaying correctly. I had to power-cycle the phone, and time went to 3PM, then I kept power cycling after phone came up, it kept losing 5 hours after each power cycle and displayed the following:
10AM, 5AM, 12AM Sunday Oct 6, 7PM Saturday Oct 5th.

I stopped power cycling after this and will now test with
WiFi on, Airplane mode on, Automatic date & time and Automatic time zone checked, Use 24-hour format checked.

As soon as I checked the boxes for Automatic date & time and Automatic time zone, the time went back to 8PM Sunday Oct 6 :( . I've left minutes off the times above for simplicity, but the minutes values were correct. So before checking Use 24-hour format checked, I power cycled again with correct date/time being displayed and ................. time/date is still correct :( .

I've now got Use 24-hour format checked ....... will post updates after some more testing.

Another weird data point on this issue. I have a second Centura which is displaying the date/time correctly with phone settings was WiFi on, Airplane mode on, Automatic date & time and Automatic time zone checked, Use 24-hour format unchecked - but each time the phone is power up, it briefly displays current time - 5hours, then goes to displaying the correct current time all in an instant by itself :( .

tfuser19

Update to my last post.

With phone settings WiFi on, Airplane mode on, Automatic date & time and Automatic time zone checked, Use 24-hour format checked, when I power up the phone, I see current time - 5hrs displayed for an instant, then the correct time is displayed.

ST Dog

tfuser19
October 6, 2013, 7:59 pm
Leaving GPS on or letting an app use my network data or WiFi all the time is a no-go for me.
Not sure what the issue with GPS would be as that wouldn't use data for the time sync.
Just using the GPS clock signal (integral to GPS functionality).

Not sure what the app need either. Maybe it can turn GPS on to sync then back off.

Still, needs root to update the time, so that's your biggest issue.

Hope you can find another fix, though I didn't see anything promising in my searching. With the phone on ST/NET10 for months now, I' expect any easy solutions to have been found.

runner

The clock issue I noticed was after I checked my balance on the phone (the 2nd day I had the phone; it could've been earlier) and got my balance text message and the time stamp on the message. Anyhoo, I did various things on my phone, played around (first smart phone/android device), and changed my calendar time zone. I haven't had time issue since then and it's been 10 days. Something weird happened just today: my stocked browser addy on my phone is a:tracfone dot com but when I went to the browser today I had the tracfone dot com (not a:tracfone); when the first menu item is check your balance; I haven't had that since the time issue. When I checked my balance the text message time stamp is 6 hours off. I got out of the browser and when back in and got my a:tracfone dot com again.

Maybe the time has something to do with the native browser. I don't know. I only had the issue one time and after I changed the calendar time zone and just exploring the browser on the phone (I'm really a newbie and was just trying to create a shortcut on my phone to check my balance) my time has never been off since 10 days ago. Knock on wood. (BTW my clock setting I haven't changed; 24-hour not checked.)

muddy211

Time Fix for the Samsung Galaxy Centura

I'm using this with no issues, use the GPS not NTP...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pautinanet.smarttimesync

Obviously it is a software issue... :D

ST Dog

A dev on AndroidArea51 claims to have a clock fix to be released soon.

Will probably will require root, may only be for the AA51 ROM.

http://androidarea51.com/galaxy-centura-root/(recovery)-clockworkmod-centura-v6-0-2-8/msg19418/#msg19418

Not much detail yet.

Joeb84

I am having the same problem with the clock. To me, this is totally unacceptable. I am not going to fiddle with settings or root my NEW phone to get this to work. Because of this I am going to return this phone to HSN. On Saturday I picked up the ZTE Valet from Best Buys. You can read my review and comparison on the ZTE Valet topic.

weiden1

Wow - Really??? I activated my phone yesterday and what a hassle. Decided to transfer my days/minutes from an old LG220C but wanted a new phone number cause the old number was from a state I no longer live in. Called trac better CS and spent 45 mins. trying to do this. The rep. actually explained to me the 3 buckets so he was on top of that. Phone activated this morning. Got my mins., txt, data buckets.

Today I added my pin from HSN and guess what?? - All I got was 90 days - no mins, no txt, no data. (>.<) (>.<)
So called back to trac better CS and spoke to another rep for 16 mins. who said she would add the mins, txt, data manually.
Still haven't seen them - jeeze - I have such a headache. Not gonna do anything with the google
card at this time. So this was CDMA to CDMA and it didnt even go well.

At least the CS reps seem to understand the 3 bucket concept. I'm glad I didn't transfer my LG800 which is my regular tracfone. It is AT&T and I will keep it as my second phone.

tfuser19

@weiden1,
Can you check your minutes balance now, and if they minutes are not all there, dialing *22890, then after the phone reboots, check your minutes again and post if they showed up or not please?

tfuser19

Joeb84
October 7, 2013, 2:55 pm
I am having the same problem with the clock. To me, this is totally unacceptable. I am not going to fiddle with settings or root my NEW phone to get this to work. Because of this I am going to return this phone to HSN. On Saturday I picked up the ZTE Valet from Best Buys. You can read my review and comparison on the ZTE Valet topic.
Saving everyone else from looking for it: :)

Leticron

Seeing all those problems people had, I got scared :) I hadn't activated the promo from HSN yet because I got 180 of each when I transferred number and minutes from the LG840G. So I mustered all my courage (lol) went to the webpage,logged into my account and punched in the code from the shipping manifest. I didn't find the option to do that from the phone (The Prepayed Menu like on the other tracfones. Lo and behold 2-3 seconds later I receive a text msg with the new balance. All 3 buckets had 600 added Phewww what a relief. I'm getting too old for stress like that ;)
I'm just glad I didn't have to call again (but then again I would've used the number, the Doctor gave us over in LG840 forum, which supposedly should help things to move along much smoother).
I'm kind of disappointed with the short time a fully charged accu depletes. Bluetooth and WiFi and GPS off, Phone on standby, I still have to recharge every 2-3 days...am I missing something here?

Tarkio101

Joeb84
I agree with you Sir. While I haven't really played with the phone a lot yet, or even put a lot of my favorite apps on it, I know some use the time for various things. I am quite sure this clock issue will mess them up. In fact, I would normally have certain things set up update, refresh, download etc at certain times of the day when I know I'm always on wifi. If this clock issue messes any of that up, even just some of the time, I could burn through a lot of data while I'm sound asleep and not even knowing it. And if I have to do everything manually, why have a smartphone?

I plan to use mine a couple more weeks, but will probably return it to HSN as well. Not really too fond of any of the other options they are currently offering.

Joeb84

Personally, I'm angry at Tracfone for selling this phone when they knew there were issues with the clock and Samsung for still making this model without fixing the problem. When you do a google search about the clock there are so many posts and no real solutions. For Pete's sake this is a brand new phone. It should work perfectly right out of the box. To answer annepani s other question about if there were no other android phones available, I still think I would have returned this phone and went with the lg840. It seems like a good reliable phone and its 3G, which would have been faster than my lg800.

muddy211

I must add IMO here...These forums are confusing and hard to navigate! Again this is my opinion but why would you not put the FIX FOR CENTURA TIME ISSUE in a new thread or topic? People are not going to look at the 5th page halfway down and realize the fix is there? It makes no sense and as you can see it is DRIVING me nuts...Besides does anyone go to other forums and all the Verizon, Tmobile, Sprint and AT&T Galaxy SIII's are under one Topic Forum? Or is Sprint, Boost and Virgin Mobile all combined in the same thread? Nope....Each phone and carrier has its own forum so when people are looking for questions and answers they find them...Hence they should be separate here...TF and NET10 are two different animals...We might as well Have a Tracfone,Net10, StraighTalk, Safelink all combined....Ok Im done... :D

tfuser19

muddy211
October 7, 2013, 8:29 pm
I must add IMO here...These forums are confusing and hard to navigate! Again this is my opinion but why would you not put the FIX FOR CENTURA TIME ISSUE in a new thread or topic? People are not going to look at the 5th page halfway down and realize the fix is there? It makes no sense and as you can see it is DRIVING me nuts...Besides does anyone go to other forums and all the Verizon, Tmobile, Sprint and AT&T Galaxy SIII's are under one Topic Forum? Or is Sprint, Boost and Virgin Mobile all combined in the same thread? Nope....Each phone and carrier has its own forum so when people are looking for questions and answers they find them...Hence they should be separate here...TF and NET10 are two different animals...We might as well Have a Tracfone,Net10, StraighTalk, Safelink all combined....Ok Im done... :D
@muddy211,
I like the way Turk - the moderator of this forum - likes to keep everything about a given phone in a single thread.

I go to other forums and there's a new thread every few days about topic X for phone Y that's been discussed Z times over ........ talking about inefficient and annoying. Everything is scattered in megathreads.

Feel free to PM Turk and ask him to look at your post and address/answer your concerns.

muddy211

tfuser19
October 7, 2013, 8:50 pm
muddy211
@muddy211,
I like the way Turk - the moderator of this forum - likes to keep everything about a given phone in a single thread.

I go to other forums and there's a new thread every few days about topic X for phone Y that's been discussed Z times over ........ talking about inefficient and annoying. Everything is scattered in megathreads.

Feel free to PM Turk and ask him to look at your post and address/answer your concerns.
@tfuser19...you must not read other forums...I cant say it or explain it any other way? How is anyone going to come here and find the fix to the Centura time issue on the 5th page halfway down?

Tarkio101

Its tough to maintain either way I think. Either it's all in one, or a jumble of various threads about the same phone that don't necessarily stay on topic. In other forums, the same thing is being partially addressed in 5 different threads sometimes, but there is no one single place to find an answer. Not sure what the "best" way is.

tfuser19

muddy211
October 7, 2013, 8:58 pm
tfuser19
October 7, 2013, 8:50 pm
muddy211
@muddy211,

@tfuser19...you must not read other forums...I cant say it or explain it any other way? How is anyone going to come here and find the fix to the Centura time issue on the 5th page halfway down?
@muddy211,

There's the "I want an instant answer, so I won't search the existing threads for my problem - I'll just create a new thread and someone will hand me an answer on a silver platter" approach. Yes, I do visit other forums and I see this approach practiced at some of them as I already posted.

Then there's the understand the forum layout, find the appropriate thread by searching, skim that thread, and post a question in it if you don't find your answer approach. That's the approach this forum takes.

I'm not the moderator, so feel free to try your preferred approach here and see what happens.

Too answer your question, go the the search box for this forum, type "centura clock" and let me know if that's asking someone to do too much.

muddy211

@Tfuser19...
Second link down..5TH page halfway down.....Ur Right...If u don't get It I should Shut up...LMAO... :)

weiden1

tfuser19
October 7, 2013, 4:55 pm
@weiden1,
Can you check your minutes balance now, and if they minutes are not all there, dialing *22890, then after the
phone reboots, check your minutes again and post if they showed up or not please?
Yes - I received the min, txt, data that I should of received earlier... Got a txt msg from Tracfone also stating that the
minutes were added. So now I am good to go on that. Guess I'll wait a few days before trying the Google Play card.

halfspec

I have a funny / specific question for you folks that have already purchased a Centura.

When the phone is off and needs charging, Does the phone automatically turn on after attaching it to the charger? I understand if there's a delay to 'charge' the phone up enough to start, but I'm really curious if it will go ahead and turn on as well at some point after hooking it up to the charger.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
halfspec

weiden1

halfspec
October 8, 2013, 10:08 am
I have a funny / specific question for you folks that have already purchased a Centura.

When the phone is off and needs charging, Does the phone automatically turn on after attaching it to the charger? I understand if there's a delay to 'charge' the phone up enough to start, but I'm really curious if it will go ahead and turn on as well at some point after hooking it up to the charger.

halfspec
No. I just plugged mine in to charge and only the battery icon comes on. You have to physically turn-on the phone.

halfspec

weiden1
October 8, 2013, 1:03 pm
halfspec
October 8, 2013, 10:08 am

halfspec
No. I just plugged mine in to charge and only the battery icon comes on. You have to physically turn-on the phone.
Well shoot! I do appreciate you checking for me though weiden1.

halfspec

tfuser19

If anyone needs the latest Android Adobe Flash Player for their Centura, it's Android version: 11.1.115.81 on Adobe's archive site.

This Flash Test page works too.

You should see an animation under step 1 and version information under step 2.

The version information is correctly displayed as 11.1.115.81. Oddly, it shows Linux for the OS and Safari for the browser.

If there are other better options, please post that information.

ST Dog

Joeb84
I am having the same problem with the clock. To me, this is totally unacceptable. I am not going to fiddle with settings or root my NEW phone to get this to work.
First thing I did when I got my Nook tablet was install CyanogenMod.
Actually I researched it before buying to be sure I could root and run other ROMs.

I wouldn't want an android device that I couldn't do that with, and would do so immediately.

Not having root is like owning a car with the hood welded shut.

Quote:

For Pete's sake this is a brand new phone. It should work perfectly right out of the box.
Obviously you are new to tech. Hardware and software bugs happen all the time.
Some get fixed, some get workarounds, some get called "features"

Look at Apple with the latest IOS release, or the antenna problem with the iPhone 4.

ST Dog

muddy211
October 7, 2013, 8:58 pm
How is anyone going to come here and find the fix to the Centura time issue on the 5th page halfway down?
That's what the search function is for.

tfuser19

Anyone thinking about returning their Centura cause of the clock bug:

shopcelldeals on eBay has the
ZTE Valet Android Smartphone with 600 Minutes/Text/Data Included for $99.99 shipped ! :)

Leticron

tfuser19
October 10, 2013, 12:06 am
ZTE Valet Android Smartphone with 600 Minutes/Text/Data Included for $99.99 shipped ! :)

2 weeks ago they were still at 129.99 WOW the prices drop rapidly...Guess waiting a little longer could've saved me $50
Edit: Nevermind, this is the ZTE and the Galaxy Centura is still at 129.99, so I just lost $20 for ordering early from HSN that's ok with me. :D

tfuser19

Amazon.com review to ponder over. Non-Tracfone reviews are still relevant:
ZTE Valet:
http://www.amazon.com/ZTE-Android-Prepaid-Minutes-Tracfone/product-reviews/B00FM7R1WG/

Centura:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Centura-Android-Prepaid/product-reviews/B00C442VNO/
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Centura-Android-Prepaid-Tracfone/product-reviews/B00FDZMC9Y/
http://www.prepaidphoneguy.com/a-review-of-the-samsung-galaxy-centura-for-tracfone (maybe this is a rerun?)

tfuser19

Leticron
October 10, 2013, 9:48 am
tfuser19
October 10, 2013, 12:06 am

2 weeks ago they were still at 129.99 WOW the prices drop rapidly...Guess waiting a little longer could've saved me $50
Edit: Nevermind, this is the ZTE and the Galaxy Centura is still at 129.99, so I just lost $20 for ordering early from HSN that's ok with me. :D
I guess you left out the car charger, shield, and $25 Google Play card that came with the HSN.com package? :huh:
That's more than $20 worth right there.

rich_l

I got my Galaxy Centura and hated the feel of the phone in my hand - I am used to a gel case on my 840G,
which I kept in a case hooked to a belt loop.

I bought one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/161119468896?var=46021686846PageName and I LOVE it -
comes in two pieces, one is like an armored gel case and the other hooks onto my belt and the phone slides
into it. Not expensive and quick shipping. I am a happy camper 8)

Leticron

tfuser19
October 10, 2013, 10:29 pm
I guess you left out the car charger, shield, and $25 Google Play card that came with the HSN.com package? :huh:
That's more than $20 worth right there.
You're correct, I didn't think of those extras that came with the phone. So yes it still was a good deal.
Thanks for the reminder.

Joeb84

ST Dog
October 9, 2013, 11:38 pm
Joeb84
I am having the same problem with the clock. To me, this is totally unacceptable. I am not going to fiddle with settings or root my NEW phone to get this to work.
First thing I did when I got my Nook tablet was install CyanogenMod.
Actually I researched it before buying to be sure I could root and run other ROMs.

I wouldn't want an android device that I couldn't do that with, and would do so immediately.

Quote:

For Pete's sake this is a brand new phone. It should work perfectly right out of the box.
Obviously you are new to tech. Hardware and software bugs happen all the time.
Some get fixed, some get workarounds, some get called "features"

Look at Apple with the latest IOS release, or the antenna problem with the iPhone 4.
First, I am not a complete novice when it comes to technology. I too own a Nook, which I rooted with the help of a YouTube video. However, I can boot up the Nook from the device itself or from the sd card making it a complete android device, complete with the Google play store. I also have not voided my warranty. If you want to root the phone and void your warranty, that's your choice. I do not. That's the problem with us consumers today. If we settle for junk that's what the manufacturers will keep on giving us. It is a new phone and everything should work properly, including the clock. Tracfone and Samsung have known about this problem for a long time, yet offer no solution. That's why I am returning the phone and bought the Valet.

runner

Joeb84: Have you activated/transfer your service from Centura? Did the minutes transfer? How's the call quality with Centura and Valet?

A couple days ago my time on my phone was off by 6 hours. I turned the phone off and back on and the time was corrected. I noticed the google play was started (the message notification and it updated an app - Overdrive media console when this happened). It happened again a few minutes later where time was wrong and when I check the apps running, my email was running (it usually isn't since I have both my email accounts sync off). Anyway I checked the notification on my computer for google play; I guess I had it checked to notify me when there's news with google play or special offers or whatever. The time on my phone has been correct since those changes but am still keeping my eyes on the time issue. I first had this problem when I got in on 9/26 but I thought I solved the problem by changing the time zone on my calendar since I haven't had an issue since then.

I'm also thinking of looking at the ZTE Valet since the most bars I get with Centura is 3 but it usually alternates between 2 and 1 bars. I'm not sure how long I've had TF: 3 or 4 years? Except for the first phone which had a slide out keyboard, the most signal I've had was 3 bars but again 80% of the time it was 2 or 1 bar. The Samsung S390 signal was the best at usually 3 or 2 bars but that phone dialed 911 too many times. I'm assuming the signal quality has something to do with the phone/carrier you have because friends and family with different phones (iphone, windows phone, galaxy IIII, and different carriers all have excellent signals at my place and I don't)

Ridgerunner

This is my first post on this forum. Hopefully I am posting in the right place. I read this and several other forums concerning the Centura. I have had 4 or 5 Tracfones most of them LGs. I have wanted a smart phone for a long time but never could justify the data plan cost.

I upgraded from the LG840g running T-mobile. The 840 is a good phone, connecting to wifi or internet was a pain in the rear. The Centura is a good upgrade. The Verizon coverage is the best in my area.

Here are a few things I have learned in the two days I have had the phone. If you cannot get the phone to connect to the internet via wifi in your house. Shut down your other computers & devices, turn off your cell and unplug your router and modem for 5 minutes. Plug in the router and modem, then wait for the proper lights to come on. Turn on your cell and it should connect.

I transferred 4700+ minutes via Tracfone's web site with no phone calls. This was from a GSM to CDMA. This was done on a Saturday, it took 5 or 6 hours. The old cell worked while the transfer was in progress. Yes, I got 4700 minutes, 4700 texts and 4700 mg's of data. 4700 mg's of data is 4.7 gigs??

Sometimes the correct time shows, other times it doesn't. I have tried several of the posted suggestions.
I added a free note pad from google play.
I added a free message alert from google play.
Both seem to work good.
You do need a Google email account to access some of the phone features.
I am able to use the voice command feature to text, the name and number come up but not the message. Any suggestions?
I bought the phone from Ebay" shopcell" for a $105.
I have not connected to the internet via a cell connection yet.
I am happy with my first smart phone, the Centura.
Tracfone works for me!
Any questions and comments are welcome.

Joeb84

runner
October 13, 2013, 11:46 am
Joeb84: Have you activated/transfer your service from Centura? Did the minutes transfer? How's the call quality with Centura and Valet?

A couple days ago my time on my phone was off by 6 hours. I turned the phone off and back on and the time was corrected. I noticed the google play was started (the message notification and it updated an app - Overdrive media console when this happened). It happened again a few minutes later where time was wrong and when I check the apps running, my email was running (it usually isn't since I have both my email accounts sync off). Anyway I checked the notification on my computer for google play; I guess I had it checked to notify me when there's news with google play or special offers or whatever. The time on my phone has been correct since those changes but am still keeping my eyes on the time issue. I first had this problem when I got in on 9/26 but I thought I solved the problem by changing the time zone on my calendar since I haven't had an issue since then.

I'm also thinking of looking at the ZTE Valet since the most bars I get with Centura is 3 but it usually alternates between 2 and 1 bars. I'm not sure how long I've had TF: 3 or 4 years? Except for the first phone which had a slide out keyboard, the most signal I've had was 3 bars but again 80% of the time it was 2 or 1 bar. The Samsung S390 signal was the best at usually 3 or 2 bars but that phone dialed 911 too many times. I'm assuming the signal quality has something to do with the phone/carrier you have because friends and family with different phones (iphone, windows phone, galaxy IIII, and different carriers all have excellent signals at my place and I don't)
Hi runner. Yes I activated the Valet and all my minutes transferred, including the 600 minutes I received from HSN. Also, the 25 google play store transferred over as we'll. I don't know if you purchased the Centura from HSN, but if you did, no worries. I am glad the clock is working for you. Several posters have written about changing settings to fix the phone problem. You may want to read those. As far as I know, the only permanent fix is to root the phone, which I don't want to do. The call quality, to me, seems the same on both phones. I really like the Valet. I posted a review under the Zte Valet topics and someone also posted a link to a YouTube video compairing the two phones ( Centura and Valet). You might want to check them out.

a5253628

My understanding is that smartphones are like personal computers in a smaller form. And personal computers are still not really ready for home use by individuals who don't have an IT department to deal with problems that arise. PC operating systems are complex and a lot of different things can go wrong, then you have to spend time and energy searching on forums for "fixes" and "workarounds."

tfuser19

@Ridgerunner,
Welcome to the forum and congrats for finding the correct thread to post your Centura questions/comments into :) . Glad to read that massive minutes are now being transferred correctly through the website.

Next time your Centura won't connect to your modem, just turn the modem off for a minute, then turn it back on. You should be able to leave everything else on ...... but only testing will confirm that.

tfuser19

@runner,
I would not put too much emphasis on the bar display. The key factor is can you make/receive calls and how is the sound quality.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

If anyone would like to see an actual hands on comparison of the Samsung and Zte, here's the link to it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS7TbsUn1iY

:D

tfuser19

One way to receive your Tracfone Android's phone balance is to create a shortcut/bookmark like this:
"https://www.tracfone.com/direct/CheckBalance?input_phone=1112223333"

where 1112223333 is your 10-digit Tracfone #.

Now you will be prompted to enter the last 4-digits of your phone's MEID which you can find under Menu->System settings->About phone->MEID

If you find it easy to remember those 4-digits, then you don't have to enter your 10-digit phone which is required to get your balance the usual way.

Receiving the text with your balance is free.

tfuser19

phoenix1
October 13, 2013, 7:54 pm
If anyone would like to see an actual hands on comparison of the Samsung and Zte, here's the link to it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS7TbsUn1iY
@phoenix1,
Thanks for posting this. I wish there was some phone performance comparisons done in this video. Interesting that the WiFi performance was measurably less on the ZTE.

The 4GB microSD is useless to me, since I'd be replacing it with a bigger chip anyway. And since I got mine during the HSN.com special for $130 which include a $25 Google Play card, protective shield, and charger, then I basically paid $100 for the phone.

It would be nice to have a flash, separate camera button (which reviewer did not mention), JB, and light sensor which the ZTE has.

So I wonder how the 1GHz vs 800 MHz processor and JB vs 4.0.4 translates in terms of user experience ......... anyone out there compared both and can answer that?

Tracfone Centura for $105 : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Centura-Android-Smartphone-Tracfone-Triple-Minutes-/131000022255

so, wonder how that's factors into the video recommendation.

runner

Thank you, Joeb84! The clock changing happened again last night after I charged it. When I went to apps running, again, google play and email service were running. I turned the phone off and on, and back to correct time.

tfuser19: I saw the comparison between ZTE and Centura but didn't really find it helpful. Well, the only interesting thing was the wifi signal was stronger on Centura. Since the review was 10 minutes, I though he do a side-by-side testing at least; show both phones loading various web pages. I guess the guy doing the review didn't activate the phones because he didn't mention the voice quality.

The thing that I'm mostly concerned about is if the time changes in midst of me on a call, would it deduct 600 extra minutes? That's what I'm mostly worried about.

ST Dog

Joeb84
October 13, 2013, 11:09 am
ST Dog
October 9, 2013, 11:38 pm
I too own a Nook, which I rooted with the help of a YouTube video. However, I can boot up the Nook from the device itself or from the sd card making it a complete android device, complete with the Google play store. I also have not voided my warranty.

That's the problem with us consumers today. If we settle for junk that's what the manufacturers will keep on giving us.
I'm still running the SD install too, but more for ease of backup (just make an image of the whole card).

Even if rooted, and the OS changed, you can backup the OEM install and restore it later.
Same with the Centura.

Not having full access (root) is like a car with the hood welded shut.

As for accepting, again all the OEMs have issues. Some can be fixed some not.
See Apples issues, and they are generally considered top shelf. Or the bugs in Intel products over the years.
(I had to have a hard drive replaced because of a Intel chipset bug)

It's the lay of the land and has been as long as I remember (going back to the mid 80s).
Products have problems. Some get fixed, some don't. Some can't easily be fixed (hardware issues).

I didn't say settle for junk. Just understand that the low end devices won't get much attention from the OEMs.
TF took what they had available at the price points they though would sell.

Not many TF users will but a $200 phone, and even less a $300 device.
I'm certain the other 3 devices have issues too. Which issues affect an individual more varies.

If they had only offered the other 3, many would not have been interested. ZTE and Hauwei are still relatively unknown. And the LG is being panned as outdated.

Interestingly my brother in law has the Centura on ST. He's has zero complaints with it. (Just learned this yesterday, and questioned him about it). He had a ZTE Merit before and disliked it. He's unlikely to ever buy another ZTE product.

Joeb84

I get your point. Tracfone couldn't care less about this phone. They've offered it on ST and there were many posts about problems with the clock. That's why they are offering 4 new android phones. If they get enough complaints or returns they will eventually phase it out along with the other poor performing phones and just offer their best sellers. It's all about the bottom line. Have you looked into the Valet? I like it more than the Centura.

weiden1

Has anybody found a way to have the phone make a sound when a text message is sent? I didn't even realize the message was sent when texting. It makes a nice sound for incoming messages - can't seem to find any setting for outgoing.

tfuser19

runner
October 14, 2013, 9:19 am
......The thing that I'm mostly concerned about is if the time changes in midst of me on a call, would it deduct 600 extra minutes? That's what I'm mostly worried about. ......
@Joeb84,
I would not worry about that because the phone is not keeping track of airtime usage on these new phones - it's all done external to the phones by the "system".

tfuser19

I was able to complete a phone call with zero bars showing today. I thought that was interesting, as I was not sure if it would work or not - voice quality was great and I did not perceive any issues with the call which lasted about 2 minutes.

gdsmit1

tfuser19
October 2, 2013, 6:39 pm
gdsmit1
October 2, 2013, 5:23 pm
So, you are now able to port a number over to a different carrier via their online process? That's what has kept me from upgrading from my current phone.
Can you make this very generalized question more specific? You are trying to port from where to where?
Sorry, that was a bit vague, wasn't it? The question was answered, though.

I have a TracFone LG800g on ATT and want to switch over to a TracFone Android. It looks like all the android phones are on Verizon in my area. I wanted to know if this transfer can happen on the web page instead of through Customer Service.

Joeb84

Yes you can transfer your phone number and minutes on their web page. Personally, I prefer to do it that way. It was quick and easy.

Joeb84

tfuser19
October 14, 2013, 9:39 pm
runner
October 14, 2013, 9:19 am
......The thing that I'm mostly concerned about is if the time changes in midst of me on a call, would it deduct 600 extra minutes? That's what I'm mostly worried about. ......
@Joeb84,
I would not worry about that because the phone is not keeping track of airtime usage on these new phones - it's all done external to the phones by the "system".
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't ask the question, but it is good to know. Lol

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Attention: just in case no one knows this, but Tracfone Promotion Codes do not work on the new Android Phones.

* This has been talked about just a little around the internet world, and just a little on this forum as well...
* So I thought I'd better get this Info out there on these android phone topics.

* I got a message from a Tracfone Rep on here today, verifying that Promo Codes don't work on the new Android Phones!

* So I guess if you want, try and load up on your old phone before you transfer over to an Android phone (just saying). ;)

T U R K B-)

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I stopped by a couple of my K-Mart stores today, and look what I saw out for sale there, first time ever in stores!
* The new Tracfone Samsung Galaxy Centura android -- price was $130 -- same price as on Tracfone.com.
* Anyway, I had my World Famous Turkberry 3 (s380c) on me -- so I took a few pictures of it.. (no, I didn't buy it)
* I feel this phone is a little overpriced - I feel it should be around $100 just like the ZTE Valet and Huawei Glory.
* Ps: I also saw the new Tracfone ZTE Valet at these few K-Mart stores I was at -- price there for the ZTE was $100.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pictures provided by Turk and his Turkberry 3 B-)

tfuser19

Tracfone Android Balance App on Google Play Store

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
I have also seen the phone at my local K-Mart for $130. I just shook my head and walked away.

gordy

Time fix... maybe?? (per Samsung CS).

Clearing data from the “settings” app seemed to fix the clock bug on my HSN Centura. Not sure if the GMT info was erased that the time seemed to revert back to or what. The experts here can decipher that, i.e. if it works. I went to the “Menu”, selected “manage apps”, “All” and scrolled to “settings”. Hit “clear data”. I have automatic time and date set along with GMT-04:00, eastern daylight time. I then powered down and removed the battery. Been working 4 days so far w/o a hitch…the longest so far. Time will tell.

Now that I posted in 2 forums I'll probably get a failure according to Murphy's law BUT nothing ventured nothing gained.

Another surprise would be to see that Tracfone MY Account Widget work. Straight Talk had the same issue and resolved it so I would expect to see this follow.

Bob99

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the auto-correct on this Centura when entering contacts in the phone book? :'(

runner

gordy: Have you had clock issue since your post? Please update. My first Centura clock was off when I got it but the clock didn't change til probably 10 days later (I thought I fixed it by playing with the setting in the calendar app). Then it started happening more frequently. I got a new Centura Monday, 10/21. Time has been correct but it has only been a couple of days. I don't have live wallpaper. What I did notice when the clock was off is when I went to "apps running", google play and email service was running. The first Centura also had many "oops error" whenever I would check my balance. Pandora would not work; it would just stay at the blue startup screen. The battery usage would be way off; it got to a point where it would read 100% charged after 20-plus hours during which time maybe 30 minutes of talk time. Hopefully, my new Centura won't have the clock issue.

Bob99: I forgot what I did to disable autocorrect (predictive text?). There's a user's manual that explained this. I thought I went to language/keyboard input and unchecked the box for predictive text. Maybe someone can help. Since the phone syncs with your gmail account, if you have the contacts already in your gmail account, it'll show up on your phone. I made a mistake of transferring from old phone to new phone and when I setup my new phone, I had duplicates so I had to manually delete.

I'm learning as I go. Here's something new I discovered: long press home (arrow) screen will bring up all your recently opened apps; swipe it to the left of screen to get rid of 'em.

Bob99

Thanks runner, that's it. Also thanks to the PM I got on this. Had some free time yesterday and downloaded a manual
from Samsung (over 300 pages). Went into "brain overload" reading it last night, but found a lot of good things.

gordy

runner
October 23, 2013, 10:09 am
gordy: Have you had clock issue since your post? Please update. My first Centura clock was off when I got it but the clock didn't change til probably 10 days later (I thought I fixed it by playing with the setting in the calendar app). Then it started happening more frequently. I got a new Centura Monday, 10/21. Time has been correct but it has only been a couple of days. I don't have live wallpaper. What I did notice when the clock was off is when I went to "apps running", google play and email service was running. The first Centura also had many "oops error" whenever I would check my balance. Pandora would not work; it would just stay at the blue startup screen. The battery usage would be way off; it got to a point where it would read 100% charged after 20-plus hours during which time maybe 30 minutes of talk time. Hopefully, my new Centura won't have the clock issue.

Bob99: I forgot what I did to disable autocorrect (predictive text?). There's a user's manual that explained this. I thought I went to language/keyboard input and unchecked the box for predictive text. Maybe someone can help. Since the phone syncs with your gmail account, if you have the contacts already in your gmail account, it'll show up on your phone. I made a mistake of transferring from old phone to new phone and when I setup my new phone, I had duplicates so I had to manually delete.

I'm learning as I go. Here's something new I discovered: long press home (arrow) screen will bring up all your recently opened apps; swipe it to the left of screen to get rid of 'em.
Time is still spot on after 8 days. Previously it was falling back 5 hours at least twice per day so something happened after the reset. For the good I’m hoping. I’ll post if I get a failure so no news will be good news.
I would guess that the time error is origin specific so maybe you’ll luck out with your new phone.
The ‘OOPS! Server error. Please try again ‘ appears to be an issue with the new Tracfone My Account App unrelated to the time bug.

runner

Thanks, gordy! That's good to know in case my new phone starts acting up but so far so good.

Thanks for posting that fix! I'm glad there's a fix because I really do like the phone.

Bob99: glad you figured it out. I like the support forum on TF website.

tfuser19

I don't know when Turk added this info to show up at the top of each page of this thread, but I completely missed
it until just now - so for others who missed it. The version up top has working links including for the new Tracfone/
Net10 - Apps for Androids
thread.

* Attention Turkamaniacs: Tracfone Promotion Codes do not work with the new Tracfone Android Phones.

* Tracfone Samsung Galaxy Centura Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?
* Net10 Samsung Galaxy Centura Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?

* Located in the Topics Forum: Tracfone/Net10 - Apps for Androids - we discuss different apps for android devices.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

tfuser19
October 24, 2013, 9:59 pm
I don't know when Turk added this info to show up at the top of each page of this thread, but I completely missed
it until just now - so for others who missed it. The version up top has working links including for the new Tracfone/
Net10 - Apps for Androids
thread.

Oh, tfuser19 --

Turk B-) has been working hard off and on during the past few days and toiling well into some nights to put
the headers on each page.

But, don't the tops of the pages look just super!

WELL DONE, TURK! And, THANK YOU for all of your long hours of labor!!

ShadowDancer :)

weiden1

Has anyone sent a picture using this phone??

I tried several times to send a picture (downloaded to the phone) from this phone to an LG 800g.

Used MMS setting - said for a long time "sending", but never did. :huh:

GaryST

Is your data turned on? To send a picture or video with a text message, data must be turned on or the text will not go until it is turned on. With wifi available use email instead. If you need to send to a mobil phone look up their carrier on whitepages.com if you have time. Free that way.

weiden1

GaryST
October 26, 2013, 7:44 pm
Is your data turned on? To send a picture or video with a text message, data must be turned on or the text will not go until it is turned on. With wifi available use email instead. If you need to send to a mobil phone look up their carrier on whitepages.com if you have time. Free that way.
No, I did not have the data on. I did review Tracfones on-line tutorial but did not find the info.
Didn't even think of this - thanks very much.

GaryST

You are welcome. One would think that the tutorial or better yet the phone would say to turn on the data.
Most if not all android tracfone users will have data off most of the time.

Tech
Member Avatar

Has anyone figured out why this inferior device costs more than the superior ZTE? This doesn't make sense to me. Can both multi-task equally?

GaryST

Many have concluded, that while on paper spec wise the Zte is better it actually performs worse and wifi connectivity is terrible. So other than the camera led flash on the Zte the centura is a better phone and costs more.

bummpr
Member Avatar

GaryST
October 28, 2013, 5:22 am
Many have concluded, that while on paper spec wise the Zte is better it actually performs worse and wifi connectivity is terrible. So other than the camera led flash on the Zte the centura is a better phone and costs more.
Not sure where you got the impression that ZTE WiFi connectivity is "terrible"...just because you don't see the numbers of "bars" you saw on your old phone doesn't make for a very scientific measure or valid comparison. My connectivity has been more than satisfactory and network throughput measured by OOKLA Speedtest is down only marginally from my iPads and laptops which are able to pack in much larger antennae.

Overall performance comparison can only be accomplished with side-by-side benchmarking which I can't do but the ZTE has higher spec processor by 20% and Jelly Bean has been touted as having much better performance than prior versions of Android. Not sure how the Samsung could manage to perform better than the ZTE unless they have a patent on MAGIC. :$
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GaryST

Glad your happy! Computer and phone specs are a lot like car specs. There are cars with higher horsepower and less weight that are considerably slower than cars with less horsepower and more weight. Funny how that works. Ya magic lol.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.