Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) Samsung Galaxy Centura (S738C) Phone Topic
Topic Started: March 12, 2013, 2:40 pm (37,364 Views)
weiden1

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts, or questions on this phone, please post it all here ... thanks.

* Tracfone Samsung Galaxy Centura Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?
* Net10 Samsung Galaxy Centura Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ST Dog
September 26, 2013, 3:12 pm
As for the $25 card, it's not worth much to me. I've not bought a single app on any of my tablets.
The free ones have been fine. I don't really play games which tend to be what costs.
Maybe I could sell it for $20?
Wow - I think the $25 card is a great bonus. Both my son and I have a Nexus 7 which I love. It would probably
make a nice Christmas gift to my son who is an avid reader ... Think I already have all the apps I need in my
account and I assume that I can load them on this phone. Mine is in the mail somewhere between HSN and
Arizona so am glad to read positive things about it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tfuser19

Joeb84
September 26, 2013, 11:05 pm
You are correct. I did it on the website when I activated the phone. It was a very smooth process.
Did you have the same experience?
I used the website, but I did not port my # or minutes from my old phone since I wanted to test the phone and
understand how the accounting on this phone works first.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ST Dog

weiden1
September 26, 2013, 11:21 pm
Wow - I think the $25 card is a great bonus.
I was poking back at tfuser19.

Like you I have all the apps I need (on my tablet) so far and all were free.
Sure the kids/wife would make use of the card though.

Just not me. ;)

Joeb84

Did anyone have a problem activating their $25 Google Play card. When I tried to activate, I didn't put in a date.
Then when I did it again and put in the date, I got this message. "Well this isn't good. The terms of this promotion
require that you redeem your credit within 21 days of the activation date. You previously entered a date outside
of the allowed 21 days. You're promotion code has been deactivated." What the heck I got the phone yesterday
and activated it, not 21 days ago. LOL I guess because I tried to do it again, it has locked me out. Leave it to me
to screw it up. Everything else went very smoothly. I contacted hsncare@simplywireless.com.. I'll see if they can
help me.

annepani

Louise29
September 26, 2013, 6:22 pm
Quote:

HSN Board?
HSN has a message board. His comments are in the "Electronics" section.
I still can't find the HSN message board. How do you get to it?

Please start with "First you go to hsn.com ..." And then what? Where do you go from there?

Thanks for the info.

Joeb84

Go to the hsn website, not the app on your tablet. At the bottom on the right is HSN Social and Community.
Under that is Visit HSN forums and blogs. Click on that. Then at the bottom again you will see a listing for Forums.
Click on "see all forums". To view comments about the phone click the Today's Special and Electronics.
There are comments about the phone on both.

Joeb84

Has anyone signed up with "Buy airtime with your Tracfone". I had it on my other phone... Wanted to set it up last
night, but you have to buy additional minutes and with the 600 from HSN I don't need any.

I wonder how you would access that. I guess you would have to go on the net. I also signed up for the Value Plan
for $5.99 a month. Had that on my other phone as well.

Also wanted to say I transferred all my contacts from my 800g to the Centura. I did it in a wacky way probably, but it worked.

ST Dog

Joeb84
September 27, 2013, 10:05 am
I also signed up for the Value Plan for $5.99 a month. Had that on my other phone as well.
You mean the service protection plan?

Or do you still have another phone on the Family plan @ $10/mo and added the Centura as an extra phone?

As for the On Demand, I just checked. Signed in, selected Enroll, set PIN, and verified CC info.
No purchase required at that time.

Not sure it makes sense with the android though.
On Demand uses the prepaid menu on the phone, and the Androids don't have that.

So you'd go to the TF site with them and just but like on a PC.

Joeb84

ST Dog
September 27, 2013, 11:11 am
Joeb84
September 27, 2013, 10:05 am
I also signed up for the Value Plan for $5.99 a month. Had that on my other phone as well.
You mean the service protection plan?

Or do you still have another phone on the Family plan @ $10/mo and added the Centura as an extra phone?

As for the On Demand, I just checked. Signed in, selected Enroll, set PIN, and verified CC info.
No purchase required at that time.

So you'd go to the TF site with them and just but like on a PC.
Yes, the service protection plan.
I did that with On Demand, but when I click on continue, it won't let me unless I enter an airtime denomination.

My husband, grandson and I met my daughter for lunch. I took a picture of her and my grandson in her office with
the new phone. It came out nice and clear. Then I posted it to Facebook right from the phone. So cool. LOL B-)

Joeb84

Just got an email back from HSN "Good afternoon,

Thank you for your inquiry. We apologize for any difficulty in redeeming your $25 Google Play Promotional credit.

For support on your Google Play credit, please visit: https://thepromocard.com/tracfoneHSN/support.php

Complete the Contact Customer Service information and please allow 24 hours for an agent to contact you.

If you have any difficulties with this, please email us back.

Thank you,

Andy Tran
wireless center logo red email 2

Went to the support page and filled it out. I hope they can figure out this mess.

ST Dog

Joeb84
September 27, 2013, 2:29 pm
ST Dog
I did that with On Demand, but when I click on continue, it won't let me unless I enter an airtime denomination.
Like I said, it doesn't make sense with the Android anyway. No prepaid menu to use the on demand feature.

Easier to just go to TF.com and buy like normal. Your CC info is already saved, and the 3 digit CCV is just as
easy to remember as a 4 digit purchase pin.

I've never actually used the on demand method anyway. Always had access to the web to buy when I needed to.
With the Android it's even easier as you have wi-fi and a good browser there on the phone.

Similarly there's no option to add airtime directly with a PIN on the phone either, as that was done with the PIN.

I'd hope that TF will develop an app that allows all of that (and airtime balance info), but it's TF so who knows.
I don't know of them doing any of that for ST or NET10 so far.

Joeb84

ST Dog
September 27, 2013, 3:14 pm
Joeb84
September 27, 2013, 2:29 pm
ST Dog
Like I said, it doesn't make sense with the Android anyway. No prepaid menu to use the on demand feature.

Easier to just go to TF.com and buy like normal. Your CC info is already saved, and the 3 digit CCV is just as
easy to remember as a 4 digit purchase pin.

I've never actually used the on demand method anyway. Always had access to the web to buy when I needed to.
With the Android it's even easier as you have wi-fi and a good browser there on the phone.

Similarly there's no option to add airtime directly with a PIN on the phone either, as that was done with the PIN.

I'd hope that TF will develop an app that allows all of that (and airtime balance info), but it's TF so who knows.
I don't know of them doing any of that for ST or NET10 so far.
That's true about just going to the web. I was used to it on my LG 800 and found it comforting to know if I needed
more minutes (say I had car trouble) I could get more minutes right on the phone instantly. I got a feeling Tracfone
will eventually come out with an app for this phone... Right now we and Tracfone are going through growing pains
with this phone. Once they get enough requests for something they can access right on the phone, I'm sure an app
will be coming out soon.

Tarkio101

I wonder if there might be a Tracfone app in the works, where we can check balances and make purchases etc.
It would make sense. Instead of having to build it into the phone, we just download it from the play store.
I bet we'll be seeing this soon. Anyone agree?

Joeb84

Tarkio101
September 27, 2013, 3:49 pm
I wonder if there might be a Tracfone app in the works, where we can check balances and make purchases etc.
It would make sense. Instead of having to build it into the phone, we just download it from the play store.
Great minds think alike. Lol. I just said the same thing in my previous post. I, too, think that will happen, too.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
September 27, 2013, 3:49 pm
Oh, I suspect that there will eventually be Tracfone apps. There is already an international calling app for
NET10 and Straight Talk on Google Play, and there is a Straight Talk My Account app, too.. Here are the
links, if you care to take a look:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.auris.dialer&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.halcyon.tracfone.services&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tracfone.straighttalk.myaccount&hl=en

However, the apps don't get the greatest of reviews. So, expect headaches when any Tracfone apps are
at least initially launched.

ShadowDancer :)

ST Dog

ShadowDancer
September 27, 2013, 4:08 pm
Looks like this one is from ST, but still pretty new.

But looks like exactly what I had in mind (assuming they finish/fix it).

Tracfancier

Have not seen it mentioned here, but several people have activated the Android using the airtime off their old
phones. A CSR may say it cannot be done. This will have more importance if you later find the Android offered
without airtime at a super low price.

Is anyone traveling anytime soon with their Tracfone Android? They should continue to have data as long as
they can connect to a native Verizon signal, but no data when Roaming, just voice and SMS. The question is
how generous was Verizon when negotiated the Tracfone Android deal. Does Tracfone need Roaming from
Verizon before they include any Roaming they have negotiated themselves with smaller providers?

Discover Card begins their 5% cashback bonus on ALL online orders October 1, continuing through December 31.
Shop Discover is paying 5% cashback for HSN. Last year closer to Christmas many businesses doubled their cash
back, HSN was paying 10%. Total 15% cashback.

Louise29

I have some very good info from Keriga over at the HSN forum. She spoke directly with someone at the Executive
Resolutions Department at Tracfone. Many thanks to her for her hard work.
Quote:

1. ALL existing minutes and airtime will transfer and convert from your current phone to the new Galaxy, with NO LOSS whatsoever. If a CSR doesn't understand that or refuses do it, ask for a supervisor. My ERD Rep said it was a mistake to deduct or omit minutes or make a customer choose between existing totals and the new 600 minute bonus when going from the existing phone to the new one. If you've lost time/minutes, ask for the ERD. Totals can be restored because the balances are in your file.

2. Whether you have 40, 400 or 4,000 minutes in your account, the transfer-conversion can be done online through prompts that will walk you through the process. It's a misconception that large balances of airtime and minutes can't be done online and must be handled by CSRs. If there's a problem, you can always call for help. There's no fear of losing any or all of your balance; it can be restored by TracFone from your existing records.

3. This ERD Rep said that in this new Galaxy Centura rollout, TracFone expected some problems to arise. TracFone's goal is to resolve complaints quickly and fairly, but that can be accomplished ONLY if you contact them directly. TracFone is aware that some people prefer to complain and post their gripes all across the Internet, rather than giving the company a chance to make it right. She said nothing's ever going to change with these malcontents because they're just chronic complainers. TracFone is urging customers to make them aware of problems they've encountered in the porting, transfer, conversion process. To do so, either complete the online form, engage in the online chat (available on the same website page as the complaint form) or call ERD directly at 800-876-5753. She told me to urge anyone who experienced difficulties to contact TracFone and they'll try to rectify the problem(s).

muddy211

Anyone new to Android I watched this 6 part series that explains anything and everything, this guy knows his stuff,
a bit long but worth it... Please ignore the phone used but he explains ANDROID perfectly... Wish I saw this on my
first Android... Take Care. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvWg7SbUgsI

annepani

Tracfancier
September 27, 2013, 5:55 pm
Have not seen it mentioned here, but several people have activated the Android using the airtime off their old
phones. A CSR may say it cannot be done. This will have more importance if you later find the Android offered
without airtime at a super low price
Not just new Tracfone Androids but also used resales without any minutes on them.

Tarkio101

Louise29
September 27, 2013, 6:25 pm
I have some very good info from Keriga over at the HSN forum. She spoke directly with someone at the Executive
Resolutions Department at Tracfone. Many thanks to her for her hard work.
Quote:

1. ALL existing minutes and airtime will transfer and convert from your current phone to the new Galaxy, with NO LOSS whatsoever. If a CSR doesn't understand that or refuses do it, ask for a supervisor. My ERD Rep said it was a mistake to deduct or omit minutes or make a customer choose between existing totals and the new 600 minute bonus when going from the existing phone to the new one. If you've lost time/minutes, ask for the ERD. Totals can be restored because the balances are in your file.

2. Whether you have 40, 400 or 4,000 minutes in your account, the transfer-conversion can be done online through prompts that will walk you through the process. It's a misconception that large balances of airtime and minutes can't be done online and must be handled by CSRs. If there's a problem, you can always call for help. There's no fear of losing any or all of your balance; it can be restored by TracFone from your existing records.

3. This ERD Rep said that in this new Galaxy Centura rollout, TracFone expected some problems to arise. TracFone's goal is to resolve complaints quickly and fairly, but that can be accomplished ONLY if you contact them directly. TracFone is aware that some people prefer to complain and post their gripes all across the Internet, rather than giving the company a chance to make it right. She said nothing's ever going to change with these malcontents because they're just chronic complainers. TracFone is urging customers to make them aware of problems they've encountered in the porting, transfer, conversion process. To do so, either complete the online form, engage in the online chat (available on the same website page as the complaint form) or call ERD directly at 800-876-5753. She told me to urge anyone who experienced difficulties to contact TracFone and they'll try to rectify the problem(s).
It all sounded good until #3 when they essentially blamed the customer for not helping them solve their problems and complaining if they do a bad job. It's their job to train their employees, not our job to tell them they haven't. I get the fact that it helps them out if we let them know what might be wrong, but they know this stuff. Or at least they ought to.

I know this Executive Resolution thing is better than the rest of the service, but 99.9% of their customers have no idea it exists or how to contact them. I have personally been put on hold for 30 minutes or more when I have asked for a supervisor, so it's not like I complained without even saying a peep.

Although, I do see this as a positive and step forward for Tracfone service. In the past, they simply do not respond to questions, problems, issues. Total silence. In the past couple of years or so, they have slowly begun to be a little more proactive. If these statements are indeed from a Tracfone spokesperson, I applaud them for the improvements they are trying to make.

Tarkio101

I received my phone today. I have played with a little. It feels pretty solid. Browsed on wifi and everything seems OK.
No unusual lag or anything like I feared. Have not activated it yet however. I'll write more later hopefully, as I have time.
Hope some others got theirs today as well, so we can all get some new info, questions, and perspectives.

a5253628

"It all sounded good until #3 when they essentially blamed the customer for not helping them solve their problems
and complaining if they do a bad job. It's their job to train their employees, not our job to tell them they haven't."

Tracfone knows perfectly well that their frontline CSRs are not well trained. The low cost of their customer service
operations presumably helps subsidize their low usage/low cost business model that is useful to many of their
customers, and of course contributes to their profit as well.

Tracfancier

Tracfone has finally `started` to update their T&C for the first time since 2011.
This can now be found under: 19. Tracfone Data Services
NOTE THE LAST LINE

Data Plans for TracFone Android Phones

TracFone Android Phone users may purchase TracFone Android Data Cards which will provide a specified amount of data access without minute deductions. Data Cards provide a set amount of data access identified on the face of the card, denominated in megabytes or gigabytes. Data Cards do not double or triple, even if redeemed on a phone activated as a double or triple minutes phone. Data Cards can be added to your phone at any time, as long as the service is active. Data Cards do not provide minutes or service days, which must be purchased separately through airtime cards. Data Cards are available online and at retail locations. Data usage in excess of the amount purchased may result in minute deductions.

There may be more to be found, here is the link:
http://www.tracfone.com/includes/content/popup/terms_conditions.jsp

Joeb84

muddy211
September 27, 2013, 7:32 pm
Anyone new to Android I watched this 6 part series that explains anything and everything, this guy knows his stuff,
a bit long but worth it... Please ignore the phone used but he explains ANDROID perfectly... Wish I saw this on my
first Android... Take Care. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvWg7SbUgsI
Great video about widgets and battery consumption. I really like the way this guy explains everything. I want to
definitely watch the other 5 videos as well. I have an android tablet, but it is gingerbread and I have never had
an android phone, so I can't wait to view the rest of the videos. I would also suggest downloading the the users
manual from Straight Talk. I had a question about configuring predictive text and the google keyboard.
The manual is much more detailed than the booklet that came with the phone.

Joeb84

Tracfancier
September 27, 2013, 5:55 pm
without airtime at a super low price.

Is anyone traveling anytime soon with their Tracfone Android? They should continue to have data as long as
they can connect to a native Verizon signal, but no data when Roaming, just voice and SMS. The question is
how generous was Verizon when negotiated the Tracfone Android deal. Does Tracfone need Roaming from
Verizon before they include any Roaming they have negotiated themselves with smaller providers?

Discover Card begins their 5% cashback bonus on ALL online orders October 1, continuing through December 31.
Shop Discover is paying 5% cashback for HSN. Last year closer to Christmas many businesses doubled their cash
back, HSN was paying 10%. Total 15% cashback.
I activated my phone online and my minutes were transferred to my new Centura without any problems. I had 110
minutes on my LG 800g. When I activated my new phone I had 110 minutes in each bucket. So I now had 110 talk,
110 text, and 110 data. After confirming that, I added the 600 minutes from HSN without any problems. I don't know
why a CSR would say it can't be done. I guess they have not been trained yet about this phone's features.

Joeb84

Tarkio101
September 27, 2013, 10:14 pm
I received my phone today. I have played with a little. It feels pretty solid. Browsed on wifi and everything seems OK.
No unusual lag or anything like I feared. Have not activated it yet however. I'll write more later hopefully, as I have time.
Hope some others got theirs today as well, so we can all get some new info, questions, and perspectives.
I think you are going to love it. I know I do. I got mine Thursday and so far I have not had any problems with it.

ST Dog

Tracfancier
September 28, 2013, 8:29 am
Data usage in excess of the amount purchased may result in minute deductions.
Sounds promising... need to see if that works for SMS too.

tfuser19

Any comments on voice quality during phones calls? I have not used mine for making any calls yet or use any cell data. ;) I've been using WiFi and testing text messaging (1 unit per text in our out, even if you don't read the text or even if you phone is off and has not received the text message ... so all the accounting is happening by the system and not the phone).

tfuser19

Anyone doing transfers from an existing Tracfone to their new S738C, please tell us if you did your transfers via website, calling regular CS, or Executive Resolutions and if you get the expected minutes on your new phone.

If you had 1000 minutes on a triple minutes non-Android Tracfone, after the transfer you should have 1000/1000/1000 on the new Android Tracfone.

tfuser19

One thing you can do to make checking your balance easier is create a shortcut
"https://www.tracfone.com/direct/CheckBalance?input_phone=9991112222" , where 9991112222 is your 10 digit phone #. Now all you need to do is enter the last 4 digits of your phone's serial # and the page and hit Submit.

Joeb84

tfuser19
September 28, 2013, 2:15 pm
Any comments on voice quality during phones calls? I have not used mine for making any calls yet or use any cell data ;) . I've been using WiFi and testing text messaging (1 unit per text in our out, even if you don't read the text or even if you phone is off and has not received the text message ... so all the accounting is happening by the system and not the phone).
The voice quality is excellent. I called my landline phone and my husband said I sounded great and very clear. He did as well. Called my daughter and she said the same thing. I activated my phone on Thursday and its been working great, both sending and receiving calls.

Joeb84

tfuser19
September 28, 2013, 2:26 pm
Anyone doing transfers from an existing Tracfone to their new S738C, please tell us if you did your transfers via website, calling regular CS, or Executive Resolutions and if you get the expected minutes on your new phone.

If you had 1000 minutes on a triple minutes non-Android Tracfone, after the transfer you should have 1000/1000/1000 on the new Android Tracfone.
As I told you before I did on their website. It was a very painless process. I got to keep my same number and the 110 minutes I had remaining on my lg800 were transferred to the Centura in three segments. I had 110 talk, 110 text and 110 data. Don't be afraid to do it. The site walks you through it. Now dealing with a CSR might be a different story. Tracfone recommends you activate the phone online, as there is a longer wait by telephone.

ciliegia

There's something I do not understand: if you're not opening your text messages, why are they charging you for it?
Has anyone spoke with TF about this? If it is supposed to happen, why? If not, couldn't TF correct the issue?

Joeb84

ciliegia
September 28, 2013, 3:55 pm
There's something I do not understand: if you're not opening your text messages, why are they charging you for it?
Has anyone spoke with TF about this? If it is supposed to happen, why? If not, couldn't TF correct the issue?
Found this on the Verizon forum, but I think it applies to all phones. Someone asked the same question.

Re: Getting charged for text messages i do not open

The text was received by your phone. Verizon has no idea if you open a text message or not.
Messages sent or received are counted.

If they are spam can you block them.

The best way to stop receiving spam text messages is to be more careful where you give access to your number.
It is not Verizon's responsibility to police what messages you receive or not. What if they choose wrong and you
don't get the messages you actually want?

Edit: Examples of where people/spammers can get your # would be on Craigslist, Facebook, chat rooms, posting
personal information on forums such as this, etc...

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

I currently use a Tracfone Samsung feature phone which runs on Verizon. I do NOT get charged for a text message
until I click on it.

Consequently, if I had the Samsung Centura, I would be asking someone somewhere why I was being charged for
text messages prior to clicking on them.

ShadowDancer ^o)

muddy211

Mr. Number-Block calls, texts. DL in the Play store. Also Google Play has lots of blocking texts programs there...

tracuser

Louise29
Quote:

This simply isn't true. I had over 4000 minutes but only 1100 transferred from the website. I am now dealing with the pain of getting them back...

Joeb84

muddy211
September 28, 2013, 5:26 pm
Mr. Number-Block calls, texts. DL in the Play store. Also Google Play has lots of blocking texts programs there...
That looks like a great app. I know on my landline, I must get at least 5 telemarketers a day and that's being conservative. I just recently signed up again with the Do not Call for both my home phone and me and my husbands cells. I didn't get any unwanted texts on the cell, but I think I'm getting more on my landline. Crazy. It's good to know we can install an app to prevent this. It seems to have good reviews, too. Thanks for the heads up.

muddy211

Joeb84
September 28, 2013, 6:50 pm
muddy211
That looks like a great app. I know on my landline, I must get at least 5 telemarketers a day and that's being conservative. I just recently signed up again with the Do not Call for both my home phone and me and my husbands cells. I didn't get any unwanted texts on the cell, but I think I'm getting more on my landline. Crazy. It's good to know we can install an app to prevent this. It seems to have good reviews, too. Thanks for the heads up.
hiya Joeb, Android is Awesome...so many apps out there...When I'm in my home WiFi I use Google Voice for calls and texts...it doesn't deduct from my minutes... :D

Joeb84

muddy211
September 28, 2013, 7:00 pm
Joeb84
muddy211
hiya Joeb, Android is Awesome...so many apps out there...When I'm in my home WiFi I use Google Voice for calls and texts...it doesn't deduct from my minutes...
Yes Google voice is great as is Talkatone which is the same thing. They are both by Google. I have my own phone number, too, so people can call me, too. Texting is great on it, but sending pics is a little strange. You don't get the pic, but instead have to go to a different site to view it. I couldn't use it on my lg800 because the pic was too big. I guess they don't compress it. I have't tried it on the Centura yet, just to see if i could view it. There's so many fun things to do on this phone. I'm guessing you're loving this phone as much as I am. :ermm: ;)

Tech
Member Avatar

Joeb84
September 28, 2013, 4:16 pm
The best way to stop receiving spam text messages is to be more careful where you give access to your number.
Some browsers automatically just hand your phone number over to any web site you visit...and then the third
parties they share with gets them... and then their buddies... and then theirs. You see?

Of course, there is always the information bartering that causes a lot of the spam for careless consumers...
My inlaws are good for this. They often trade their personal information for breakfast coupons and whatnot.
Like three or 4 times a day they do this at one place or another. And then they wonder why their phones are
ringing off the hook and then all of the spam texts.

acefuture

tracuser
September 28, 2013, 6:23 pm
Louise29
Quote:

This simply isn't true. I had over 4000 minutes but only 1100 transferred from the website. I am now dealing with the pain of getting them back...
I agree, the information given by Louise 29 regarding online transfer of minutes is totally wrong!!.

Based on her statement above, I just tried activating my new Galaxy online by transferring the phone number and minutes from my old Tracfone.

I had 1845 minutes on that phone. After typing in the phone's serial number and "Parameter numbers" the website just went ahead and processed the transaction. The transaction summary on the website shows I have 1100 minutes, 1100 texts and 1100MB of data on the new phone. I was given no preview summary of how many minutes etc. would transfer. I was not given the opportunity to accept that amount or cancel the transfer, as used to be the case with Tracfone online transfers.

I now have contacted executive resolutions in Miami and spoken to someone there who actually was helpful. She couldn't check the balance or make corrections because the transaction is still in progress. She informed me that the transfer could take a few hours (going from AT&T Tracfone to new Verizon Tracfone), and that once the new phone was activated I could go on the Tracfone website to see the balance that actually transferred. At that time, if the balance transferred is incorrect I should call ERD back and they will fix the problem.

Hopefully things will work out, but it shouldn't be this hard. Why Tracfone doesn't fix their website to allow balance transfers of greater than 1100 minutes is beyond me. People have been having problems with this limitation for at least a couple years.

Bottom line takeaway if you are transferring 1100 minutes or less from an old Tracfone to a new android Galaxy Tracfone, the online process will work properly. Anything over 1100 minutes and it's problems.

---- -------- --------- -----------

UPDATE: (2 hours after I first posted this.) My phone number transfer went through. The new Galaxy phone is activated with my old phone number and the correct "Service End Date". Unfortunately, I only did get 1100 minutes, 1100 texts, and 1100 of data. So I will have to call ERD back tomorrow (they are closed now) and try to get my lost 745 minutes restored and added to my new phone. I am waiting till this is all straightened out before I add on the HSN pin code.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I decided to move this here for others to see, just in case anyone has the same question... Thanks... Turk B-)
tracmac:

Can You Use Bonus Codes When Adding The HSN Free Airtime ?
How exactly does the adding of the time work?
Yes I have the piece of paper that came with the bundle from HSN on how to redeem them :

What they need from you when you call them, phone must already be activated - etc etc etc.
Pretty self explanatory, no need for anyone to hold my hand on that.

But what exactly happens during that phone call?
Do they give you a code to enter into the phone, which is how you get your airtime?

If that is how it works, is there any way at all to use a bonus code as well during this process to get even MORE time?
Have hardly done any talking, been mostly tinkering with settings - downloading other browsers & playing on WiFi.

But I'm down to @ 9 minutes & I'm about ready to really start using it, so it's time to redeem my free airtime.
tfuser19:

@tracmac, .... No way to use bonus codes during initial activation from what I've read so far.
millept:

The system is automated. You put in your HSN order number (hope you saved that!) and the phone number you
want topped up (and it doesn't need to be the same phone that came in your order). Then the system loads your
minutes... No way to use promo codes.
tracmac:

Yep have my paperwork right here... Oh well ... Was hoping there was a way to snag another 250 minutes.

PS - Hmmm, major fail on my part.
Thread near the top of the page in the Temple of the Holy Scroll answered this question.
Guess I had not peeked in there yet. :ermm:

Tracfancier

tfuser19 has already explained why you are being charged for unopened text.

All Tracfones up to now kept tract of minutes/text/data use at the phone, and could see exactly what you were doing..
The Androids do not. Record keeping is done by Tracfone, who has no way of knowing if you open a text or not.
It is the price of progress.

tfuser19

muddy211
September 28, 2013, 7:00 pm
Joeb84
muddy211
hiya Joeb, Android is Awesome...so many apps out there...When I'm in my home WiFi I use Google Voice for calls and texts...it doesn't deduct from my minutes... :D
@muddy211,
Do you have a Tracfone Android phone?

If yes, are you saying you can send a text to your google voice #, which forwards the text to your Tracfone Android phone #, and you're not getting charged for a text? If so, do this test. Get your Android balance, send a text message, get your Android balance again, and please confirm the text balance did not go down by one.

If no, how are you forwarding the text from gv to your Android?

@Everyone, try this for yourself if you don't believe me that you will get charged for one text sent to your phone even if your Android Tracfone is off:
Get your Android balance, send a text message, get your Android balance again. Note that the text balance went down by one - even though your phone was off.

ST Dog

muddy211
If TF is charging even with the phone off, an app won't stop anything.
In fact with the app you never know the text was there, so you could be charged for 100s with no knowledge.

tfuser19

ST Dog
September 29, 2013, 1:00 am
muddy211
If TF is charging even with the phone off, an app won't stop anything.
In fact with the app you never know the text was there, so you could be charged for 100s with no knowledge.
Exactly! Thanks for reading my mind, ST Dog. :)

The only exception is if you're using GV or some other route to get the text message to your phone without
going through Verizon's texting service (ie, text is not being addressed from sender to your actual cell #).

WoodyUSSLUCE

My new phone is activated with the number that I have had for years ported. The website only transferred 1100 minutes out of over 5,000. The site did not even give me a chance to to exit before the final total. I will be calling the ERD number to get my remaining minutes. At least I did not lose the number that I have had for many years !

GaryST

The tracfone promo texts to sell you ringtones deduct texts. I have been deducted (3) so far. The checking your balance does not deduct. I hope they can at least fix that. I will have to call but I am sick of talking to them after getting my phone working and all minutes transferred correctly.

muddy211

@tfuser19, Google Voice works great...I have the App as a widget on my homepage and open and use it WiFi only? Lets say my brother texts me and I can see we are going to be texting back and forth dozens of times...I respond back to the first text, open GV and continue texting him with GV on my home WiFi or Panera or McD's or Starbucks which all have free WiFi. If anyone read my earlier post's that's what I was referring to? I cant see how TF will make any money if people use WiFi only like I do. Sure I use the phone daily but having GV or Yahoo Messenger which also lets you cut back on minutes used...Also Gmail has the option to let you make calls from your GV registered number? Not to mention the dozens of other apps out there....Doing the phone off test and sending text now... :D

Is Turk the only admin here? Can we cross link to Android Central or Phandroid which has dozens of posts and tips and tricks about the Centura etc...Thanks... :D

WoodyUSSLUCE

Well I called ERD this morning to transfer the remaining minutes that the website did not transfer. They were polite and said that it was now showing my full minutes on his end after he did the transfer this morning. He said it could take up to 15 minutes to update on the Tracfone site where you check your airtime remaining. It has been 45 minutes and it shows an extra 2 months but no more time is showing over the original 1100 minutes that the website transferred. I do not think that I will like the way that you have to check your airtime remaining. I can see the advantage of them storing the info on their end as if your phone has problems it would be easier to recover your minutes to a new phone. I think that I will wait another hour and then give them another call.

helloworld

Hello everyone! .. Greetings from a long-time lurker and first-time poster. :)

I got my centura three days ago. I like it a lot, except for one thing: The clock randomly loses time (6 hours to be exact). I've already pulled the battery, reboot, factory reset multiple times. I've also tried to turn on/off getting time from network, on/off auto time zone (and even trying different time zone), etc. multiple times.

Other people seem to have the same problem -- e.g. search for "centura + hours" on the straighttalk forum:

https://www.straighttalkwirelessforum.com/search.php?keywords=centura

Does anyone else here run into the same problem?

I really like the centura, but not with a defective clock (e.g. can't use alarm!). Now, with any fancy gadgets there will always be a few lemons here and there (think i***). The question is whether or not I got one of the few (un)lucky ones and I should simply ask HSN for a replacement, or the problem is widespread and I should simply get a refund.

I've also read that one can fix this by "rooting" the phone, but a $100 phone (or whatever) should have a functional clock. (!!)

Your help and and suggestions are really appreciated. Thanks!

acefuture

helloworld
September 29, 2013, 12:50 pm
Hello everyone! ......

I got my centura three days ago. I like it a lot, except for one thing: The clock randomly loses time (6 hours to be exact). ........

Other people seem to have the same problem -- e.g. search for "centura + hours" on the straighttalk forum .........

Does anyone else here run into the same problem?

I really like the centura, but not with a defective clock (e.g. can't use alarm!). Now, with any fancy gadgets there will always be a few lemons here and there (think i***). The question is whether or not I got one of the few (un)lucky ones and I should simply ask HSN for a replacement, or the problem is widespread and I should simply get a refund.

I've also read that one can fix this by "rooting" the phone, but a $100 phone (or whatever) should have a functional clock. (!!)

Your help and and suggestions are really appreciated. Thanks!
I'm experiencing the same problem with the clock. Activated the phone yesterday afternoon, and I've already experienced one clock reset of -6 hours.

I don't know if this happened while I was installing/playing with some new app, or if it just reset while resting on my table.

I agree with your feelings. I too often rely on my phone for an alarm function, particularly when traveling. If this can't be fixed, I may have to return it, and maybe look into some of the other Tracfone android phones starting to appear at retail.

Apparently this problem has been known for awhile. I don't know why Samsung couldn't fix it with a software revision.

I don't have any suggestions about how we might fix the problem ourselves.

Tarkio101

muddy211
September 29, 2013, 9:58 am
@tfuser19, Google Voice works great...I have the App as a widget on my homepage and open and use it WiFi only? Lets say my brother texts me and I can see we are going to be texting back and forth dozens of times...I respond back to the first text, open GV and continue texting him with GV on my home WiFi or Panera or McD's or Starbucks which all have free WiFi. If anyone read my earlier post's that's what I was referring to? I cant see how TF will make any money if people use WiFi only like I do. Sure I use the phone daily but having GV or Yahoo Messenger which also lets you cut back on minutes used...Also Gmail has the option to let you make calls from your GV registered number? Not to mention the dozens of other apps out there....Doing the phone off test and sending text now... :D

Is Turk the only admin here? Can we cross link to Android Central or Phandroid which has dozens of posts and tips and tricks about the Centura etc...Thanks... :D
I know what you mean about Tracfone making money when people use wifi. Well, I think of it this way. They make make money when people buy minutes, not when people use minutes. And you'll still have to buy minutes to keep the phone active. If you don't use them, that is perfectly OK with them.

And I know there are people out there, myself included, who have service dates that are years away. But that simply signifies that you have already purchased the minutes, so essentially Tracfone has already been paid for those minutes/that time having a number on their network.

As far as rolling minutes over, I am sure they are happy to do that. Reason being, rates are falling. The rates they purchase minutes from network providers, ie att, vzw, tmo, are falling. When they allow minutes to roll over and be used a long time after they were purchased, essentially, you bought high and sold low, and Trac is perfectly ok with that. Well, they also love when minutes go unused:)

I think this scenario of minutes not being used sometimes is nothing new to Tracfone. They are essentially a company of low minute users. So they are fine with that and know now that factors into their profit/loss. A huge chunk of Tracfone users simply put the minimum number of minutes on their phone, almost never make a call, and only buy the minimum again when they have to.

Louise29

Quote:

I agree, the information given by Louise 29 regarding online transfer of minutes is totally wrong!!
I think that what Keriga posted is correct for a lucky group of people. She didn't say that it was true for one hundred percent of people transferring minutes. I have seen people who got their minutes transferred successfully, and there may be others who don't post because they didn't have any problems or because they don't frequent message boards. As for the rest who do have problems, IMO what Keriga posted is correct because of the following caveat that was included in her post:
Quote:

If there's a problem, you can always call for help. There's no fear of losing any or all of your balance; it can be restored by TracFone from your existing records.

Tarkio101

One thing I would like to bring to people's attention with this phone and Google services. When you log into your email, play apps, youtube, chrome browser etc, some of these services may sync with your computer/other devices. Now, it may do it when you are not on wifi. In that case, it will use data. If you don't want anything to sync automatically, you should shut off the sync and do it manually when you want to.

With that said, you don't have to let the phone automatically log you into your email or anything other services. You can do it manually each time. Ditto for everything else. It's a convenience, not a necessity. Virtually anything this phone does that you don't want it to do automatically can be turned off.

Now, I have everything on the phone set up just the way I like. I have not transferred minutes from my old phone nor transferred my number yet. I just got a new number on this until I make sure everything works out. I did redeem my Google Play $25 voucher and it is now happily resting in my account, safe and sound, just ready to be redeemed for any number of goodies. I'm not sure what problems some people were having, but I had no trouble.

muddy211

I posted a link to an excellent six part series about Android such as Widgets, Accounts and Sync, Data Settings, WiFi, Display and Task Manager...Maybe an admin can sticky it for people to reference? :D

Six part guide to your Android phone... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvWg7SbUgsI&list=PL8A56340C40D38718

acefuture

Well, apparently ERD in Miami is not exactly all up to speed on this transfer problem. I had 1845 minutes on my LG 840g. I had made the transfer on Saturday using Tracfone website and got 1100 minutes, 1100 texts, and 1100 mb data. I was shortchanged by 745 minutes, 745 texts and 745 mb data.

I just spoke to a representative named Rachel in ERD in Miami. She started giving me the explanation that minutes transferred from an old Tracfone would be split up equally into minutes, texts and data. I told her she had obviously not been trained on this new phone and policy, and I asked to talk to a supervisor. She said she had been trained and other people had called in with my same complaint. She said we customers didn't understand how it works.

I insisted on speaking with a supervisor. The supervisor was busy with another customer. Rachel said she would send an email to her supervisor asking the supervisor to call me back. So now I'm waiting and very irritated. The Tracfone phone service itself is pretty decent, but their customer service reps, whether overseas, or now apparently even in Miami, are just awful.

Sigh ....... :(

annepani

@acefuture --

send an email to TF.CorpResolutionTeam@tracfone.com

They are the Exec Resolutions Dept and they usually have everything cleared up in less than a day.

Don't delay or agonize over what to say. Just copy and paste your whole article that you just posted and send it off to them.

Do it now. It doesn't have to be hard. You just have to know whom to contact. Good luck.

annepani

PS, I frequently get unsolicited emails from them in response to posts I have made in HoFo. And their emails are full of info, not just canned phrases. They really do care.

acefuture

Thank you Annepani.
I just did as you suggested and sent off my post as an email to them. Of course I added the specifics of my account, the phone number, minutes on old phone, service end date on old phone, and the "parameter 30" and "parameter 00" values on the old phone at the time of the transfer. I also included the Ticket Number of the online transfer order. Hopefully they will respond soon and will straighten this all out.
I will keep the forum updated.
Thanks again.

dorani51

annepani
September 30, 2013, 5:34 pm
@acefuture --

send an email to TF.CorpResolutionTeam@tracfone.com

They are the Exec Resolutions Dept and they usually have everything cleared up in less than a day.

Don't delay or agonize over what to say. Just copy and paste your whole article that you just posted and send it off to them.

Do it now. It doesn't have to be hard. You just have to know whom to contact. Good luck.

annepani

PS I frequently get unsolicited emails from them in response to posts I have made in HoFo. And their emails are full of info, not just canned phrases. They really do care.
Thanks annepani ,

I just sent them an email, I had 6400 minutes on my old phone. Now, I have 6400 minutes and 6400 texts and 2304 MB of data. I'm missing 4096 MB of data. Will keep you posted as to what happens.

tfuser19

@acefuture,

Wow! It's really disappointing to read the Tracfone CSRs have not gotten briefed on the new Android minutes and the CSR you spoke with told you the explanation that minutes transferred from an old Tracfone would be split up equally into minutes, texts and data.

@everyone else, please post your experiences with how your transfers/activations worked out.

So far, I activated a new S738C via the website using the hsn.com 600/600/600 activation code and it went smoothly, so I have not spoken with a CSR yet for Android related matters - but will need to soon to transfer my service with 3000+ minutes from my S390G to the new S738C.

acefuture

Well, here is an update to my two posts above (#360 and #362).

A supervisor called me back about 1 hour ago.

She said she was calling me because of the message she got from Rachel, the Miami CSR agent. She was not responding to the email I sent to the tracfone resolution team.

She apologized for the misunderstanding. She said I was correct, that I should have received 1845 minutes, 1845 texts, and 1845 mb of data. She said their system was not allowing them to easily transfer that amount of minutes with the new android phones. She initiated a manual override to bring my tanks all up to 1850. I assumed the 1850 was just because it was easier for them to just round up the number.

I had to read her the parameter #s off of my old phone to verify things.

After that she asked me to turn off the android phone and then turn it back on. She asked me to enter the *22890 number that you are supposed to enter when activating a new CDMA phone. The phone then went through the initialization process all over again, just as if it was being activated for the first time.

The phone then received a text message from Tracphone saying I had 1099 minutes, 1100 text, and 1099.61 data.

The supervisor then informed me that the transaction to give me the total of 1850 minutes was still in progress and that it might take up to 24 hours for that to go through. She gave me a reference # for our discussion and case follow-up. She stated she would call me back tomorrow to make sure the correct amounts had been placed on my phone.

Fine.

Guess what?

I went to the Tracfone website 10 minutes ago to request a balance update just to see if things had gone thru.
I saw the following:
2949.0 minutes
2950 text messages
2949.6 Mb of Web Browsing.
Service End Date 12/18/14

I received the above information in a text message to my phone as well.

So I basically received my correct 1850 minutes plus 1100 more! Received the correct 1850 texts, plus 1100 more!
Received the correct 1850 mb of data, plus 1100 more! Received the correct service end date plus 30 days more!

Now, the supervisor mentioned nothing of giving me any extra minutes for my inconvenience and hassle. So I'm not quite sure how this happened. I don't know if all these extra minutes, texts, and data was deliberate on her part, or if she incorrectly processed the request such that the 1850 was added to the 1100 already on my phone instead of just updating it, or if it is a system glitch.

Either way, I'm now extremely happy. Yes, this has been a bit of a hassle, but an extra month of service plus 1100 more minutes, texts, data, certainly makes up for my inconvenience. And of course, I still have to add on the pin number from HSN for 600 additional minutes, texts, data, plus 3 additional months of service.

If she does call me tomorrow, I'm not sure what to say. Should I tell her I got the 1850? Or should I tell her I really got 2950? Or should I just not answer my phone, let her leave a message, and not get back to her?

Sorry to be so long winded, but I thought this was all relevant and some have asked for all the details of the resolution of my problem.

tfuser19

@acefuture,
Thanks for the update and glad to see it's all good now.

tfuser19

@S738C owners,

On numerous occasions over the last few days, my S738C goes into a state where it starts vibrating because numerous apps have become non-responsive. I usually reply "Wait" to the pop-ups for these apps, then eventually after about a minute or so the phone goes back to working normally.

Is anyone else experiencing this behavior?

acefuture

Another update to my last post above (#365).

I just received an email from TF corp resolution team in response to my email complaint that Annepani suggested.

Here's what it said:

" Thanks for notifying us about your concern. I have successfully added the 745 minutes difference for your talk text and mobile data. To update your phone for the benefits added please dial *22890."

OK .....

Guess what?

My remaining balance now shows:
Minutes: 3690
Text Messages: 3695
Data (MB): 3694.6 Mb of Web Browsing
Service End Date: unchanged

So this different Tracfone agent added the 745 minutes, text and data to my previous total, which had been already been fixed with my voice conversation with a supervisor who had given me 1100 extra minutes, whether intentionally or not.

So essentially my 1845 minutes on my old Tracfone has now been doubled to 3690 by these two Tracfone representatives.
And of course, now 3695 texts, and 3695 Mb of data.

These extra minutes certainly make up for the initial hassle and frustration in getting this phone activated properly.

Very, very happy here.

cjon71

tfuser19
September 30, 2013, 10:40 pm
@S738C owners,

On numerous occasions over the last few days, my S738C goes into a state where it starts vibrating because numerous apps have become non-responsive. I usually reply "Wait" to the pop-ups for these apps, then eventually after about a minute or so the phone goes back to working normally.

Is anyone else experiencing this behavior?
When this happens, your phone is usually running to many applications at the same time thus using up all your available RAM. You can download a RAM booster or task killer from the app store that can help alleviate these problems. I would recommend using Ram Booster Pro, it is customizable, you can whitelist whatever applications you would like to keep running, set a RAM threshold so it will autoboost whenever your RAM is below that level (I have it set at 100). Another app that I have used in the past is Advanced Task Killer.

ST Dog

Playing with GV some and found a few places it falls down.

Big one for me is I can't get the weather channel alerts sent to it.
The confirmation message never shows up (switched back to my phone and the message arrived in seconds).

Did some looking and it appears ESPN has the same issue, and somehow is connected to Sprint.

And, there's' no email gateway (number@carrier), so I can't have the messages sent via email either.
You can send messages via email certain ways (has both sender and receiver numbers and some other random code), but not just a generic gateway.

Makes the GV option for SMS less useful, and pretty much no a no go for me. Living in tornado country I need all the weather alerts I can get.

Email alerts are often delayed, and they would get buried in with the other email message notifications.

tfuser19

ST Dog,

You could have the weather alerts go directly to your mobile phone using the cell network as you currently do, and use the bonus added flexibility GV provides for other communications paths that do work through GV.

Which site's weather alerts are not working through GV so I can try?

kevdogg329

Anyone go into a non-Verizon area? I am interested in one of these phones, but live in a non-Verizon area.

tfuser19

Is there really no way to turn of the annoyingly deafening camera shutter sound aside from loading apps to do this? Please tell me there is :) (aside from an app or turning the phone notifications to vibrate or quite - I do want to hear phone calls,etc) .

tfuser19

The new ZTE Valet and the Samsung Galaxy Centura are now on Tracfone's website if you use the CDMA
zip code 51355 or try clicking on the link below.

http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?action=v&TR&market=CO&gotoPhonelist=true&AID

They all showed out of stock for me, but says "Item will ship in 1 week."

$130 for Centura and $100 for ZTE ....... I wonder why the huge price difference.

sweetiepoosmom

tfuser19
October 1, 2013, 6:11 pm
The new ZTE Valet and the Samsung Galaxy Centura are now on Tracfone's website if you use the CDMA

http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?action=v&TR&market=CO&gotoPhonelist=true&AID

$130 for Centura and $100 for ZTE ....... I wonder why the huge price difference.
Check this out: Samsung Galaxy Centura™ Features:

TracFone Airtime Balance Display shows you how much airtime you've used and how much is left, so you control your costs

--------------------
Oh really? I thought that everyone that's activated the Centura said that there is no Display?? Maybe I misunderstood what's been posted, does the phone show any balances in any of the three (talk, text or data)???

sqwento

Today at 1PM I tried to activate my Samsung Galaxy Centura) I purchased from HSN on Saturday September 21 (received on September 27) via the toll free number. I spoke with "Brian" (ID#56751). Having been aware that there had been considerable difficulty in activating the HSN deal I tried to insure that I would receive my old number, the remaining balance of minutes I had (2736.71 minutes) and that I would be credited with the corresponding amount of texts (~2737) and MB of web browsing (also 2737) as was represented on the HSN presentation. Initially the representative told me I would only be credited with the minutes and the texts, I then asked to speak with a supervisor to clarify my deal, the rep then put me on hold. A matter of minutes later the same representative, Brian came back on the line and said the supervisor was helping another customer and was unavailable but he had verified that I was entitled to the 2737 minutes 2737 texts and 2737 MB of data. After taking the number I wanted to transfer, my personal information, my Parameter 00 and my Parameter 30, he gave me instructions on how to activate the android and I hung up. After waiting for my old phone to stop working I activated my new Android. My number had successfully ported to the new phone and successfully completed a call, but when I checked my balance on tracfone.com I had 2736.0 Minutes, no text messages and zero MB of Web Browsing. I emailed TF.CorpResolutionTeam@tracfone.com and hsncare and my emails have been acknowledged but as of 5 1/2 hours later the problem hasn't been corrected

Tarkio101

I have been unable to make calls during much of the daytime, 8-4 or so, both yesterday and today (the only business days I have possessed the phone). I get "all circuits are busy" over and over. I am getting the feeling that Vzw is sending the tracfones to the back of the queue when it comes to accessing the network. This great network is not helping me if I can't make a call. I am assuming calls that would be trying to reach me would also not be reaching me. I have not ported my number yet, so haven't tested that theory. No one is really trying to reach me at the number of on this phone.

Piqutchi

tfuser19
October 1, 2013, 6:11 pm

Those same two phones are also available with the 44107 ZIP code.

http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?action=view&zip=44107&locale=en&siteType=TR&market=COGSM5&gotoPhonelist=true&AID=

tfuser19

@sqwento: I would give Tracfone 24 hours to respond, then call them if you have not heard back.

@Piqutchi: The ZTE is going to be available in many zip codes. No need to list anymore.

@sweetiepoosmom: The airtime balance display wording you saw is just an error, since we know the Androids don't display the balance information ;) .

sweetiepoosmom

I'm preparing myself for what I hope will be a smooth activation of my Centura tomorrow. I am absolutely going to use the Executive Resolutions Department because of all of the issues that most people that have a large number of minutes to transfer from their current TracFone, as well as the porting of the current telephone number. Based on everything I've read, I am a prime candidate for being another victim of the horror stories. I have about 3,000 minutes and an expiration date in 2017.

By the way, I saw a TracFone ZTE at a local BestBuy and the price was $79.99

tfuser19

@sweetiepoosmom,

If I was in your position, I would write down parameter 0 and 30 values (go to code entry mode -> *#0<okay> , then same for *#30) to transfer your number and 1100 minutes to 1100/1100/1100 using the website. Then call Executive Resolutions to transfer the remainder or fix the transfer if it did not work correctly. But do what you feel most comfortable with.

I cannot follow my own advice, because I want to port my phone # to google voice first.

Let us know that it went flawlessly for you tomorrow :) .

The ZTE has no $25 google play card, case, charge, 600/600/600, so that makes up for some of the difference.

ST Dog

tfuser19
October 1, 2013, 1:07 pm
You could have the weather alerts go directly to your mobile phone using the cell network as you currently do

Which site's weather alerts are not working through GV so I can try?
Sorry, The Weather Channel (weather.com)
I don't know of any other free weather services that offer SMS.
A few news stations do, but the local ones here don't cover my location well (I'm in a small town away form the larger cities)
I don't yet know if they work with GV or not.

I know I could use SMS to the phone for them, but that's not the point.

GV is great, but does have limits. This is one I just ran across.

Recommend testing and important short codes before you swicth.

acefuture

tfuser19
October 1, 2013, 11:06 pm
@sweetiepoosmom,

If I was in your position, I would write down parameter 0 and 30 values (go to code entry mode -> *#0<okay> , then same for *#30) to transfer your number and 1100 minutes to 1100/1100/1100 using the website. Then call Executive Resolutions to transfer the remainder or fix the transfer if it did not work correctly. But do what you feel most comfortable with.
sweetiepoosmom,

If you try and activate the way tfuser19 suggests, doing it online, I can almost guarantee you will have problems. The website will only transfer 1100 minutes and no more. You definitely will then have to contact executive resolutions. They will probably be able to get all your minutes onto the Centura. However, you may have to contact them several times and experience a good deal of frustration, as even they don't all understand how the three buckets concept is supposed to work. I speak from personal experience over the last three days.

From what I've read, and you too probably, is that people transferring airtime balances of 1100 minutes or more have generally had better luck using the automated phone activation/transfer using the number that is printed on the "Welcome Guide" sheet that came with your phone from HSN (1-800-867-7183). Those people have been more likely to get their all their minutes transferred over correctly.

Good luck, and keep us posted. Once the transfer is complete, I think you'll find it's a great phone. A huge leap over something like the LG 840g or any other previous Tracfones

sqwento

My update. I receieved an e-mail from Tracfone at about 10PM stating they had restored my minutes/texts data all to the 2736 level I was supposed to get which had not posted as of 6:30 AM today. I re-activated the phone as instructed and did receive 600 texts/MB data but not the full amount. I re-emailed Tracfone and HSN about this just now and await their replies.

@sweetiepossum: I would advise calling to activate. Hopefully they will get it right the first time but if not the e mailing Tracfone and HSN is the best route as it eliminates speaking to a Tracfone rep, gives you a written response to go by, and makes you feel like something is being done. Be sure when contacting HSN you include your order #. Both Tracfone and HSN reply within hours and HSN acts an advocate for you when dealing with Tracfone. Good Luck

sweetiepoosmom

sqwento
October 2, 2013, 9:18 am
My update. I receieved an e-mail from Tracfone at about 10PM stating they had restored my minutes/texts data all to the 2736 level I was supposed to get which had not posted as of 6:30 AM today. I re-activated the phone as instructed and did receive 600 texts/MB data but not the full amount. I re-emailed Tracfone and HSN about this just now and await their replies.

@sweetiepossum: I would advise calling to activate. Hopefully they will get it right the first time but if not the e mailing Tracfone and HSN is the best route as it eliminates speaking to a Tracfone rep, gives you a written response to go by, and makes you feel like something is being done. Be sure when contacting HSN you include your order #. Both Tracfone and HSN reply within hours and HSN acts an advocate for you when dealing with Tracfone. Good Luck
Thanks for sharing your ongoing saga with us.

I've had many TracFones, so I already know that activating online or using the "regular" Customer Care phone number (which is the same one HSN says to use) is never going to work out. I'm going straight to Executive Resolutions and, hopefully, spare myself some of the pain and incorrect answers . . . I believe that that's what I've done in the past and had NO problems, but with this "new" android 3 bucket system, who knows!

I decided to wait until this afternoon, I'm still psyching myself up for this "adventure."

I have a few, that's an understatement, "issues" going on right now that are very stressful and emotionally draining. So, I'm not sure that I want to add TracFone to the list at this point.

tfuser19

Checking the Tracfone balance buckets:
The balance information is not stored on your phone, so you currently have to use a web browser to get the information from the Tracfone system.

Options include:
1. Use the phone's "Browser" app (blue globe icon). It should take you to a Tracfone page where the top link is "Check Your Balance". Click on that link and enter your phone number, then hit Submit. You will get a text message with the balances and see the information on the browser screen.

2. Use following link on your home PC (or phone) "https://www.tracfone.com/direct/CheckBalance?input_phone=<your 10-digit cell #>"
You will be prompted to enter the last four digits of your phones MEID # (Home button->Menu->System settings->About phone(at the end of the list)->Status->MEID (about 10 up from the bottom - you need the last 4 of the decimal (not hex) number). This will also send a text to you as well as display the balances in the browser window.

I would create a bookmark with the link containing your cell #, so you don't have to type it in each time.

These balance texts are free - they don't count against your text bucket.
Note that if you check your balance from your phone and you are not WiFi connected, then you will be using the data bucket.

gdsmit1

So, you are now able to port a number over to a different carrier via their online process? That's what has kept me from upgrading from my current phone.

weiden1

I have been trying to post regarding the loss of hours on the phone but can't seem to make it work so will just use cut and paste method.

Quote:

I'm experiencing the same problem with the clock. Activated the phone yesterday afternoon, and I've already experienced one clock reset of -6 hours.

I don't know if this happened while I was installing/playing with some new app, or if it just reset while resting on my table.

I agree with your feelings. I too often rely on my phone for an alarm function, particularly when traveling. If this can't be fixed, I may have to return it, and maybe look into some of the other Tracfone android phones starting to appear at retail.

Apparently this problem has been known for awhile. I don't know why Samsung couldn't fix it with a software revision.

I don't have any suggestions about how we might fix the problem ourselves.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Well this is odd. I got my Samsung yesterday and have set it up with my google account, changed some settings, etc. and basically have been checking it out. It has not been activated. Now I see that it has just lost 6 hours on the clock. So I just turned it off and started thinking about returning it. UGH ! !

When I turned it back on it shows the correct time again. Hummmm. I will have to keep an eye on it as I won't keep a phone that can't even show the correct time.

Has anybody been able to turn off the sounds it makes when powering on/off. Have checked out the settings but it really doesn't have much there. There was another trac that the sound could not be off.

tfuser19

gdsmit1
October 2, 2013, 5:23 pm
So, you are now able to port a number over to a different carrier via their online process? That's what has kept me from upgrading from my current phone.
Can you make this very generalized question more specific? You are trying to port from where to where?

sqwento

My story continued (post 376, 385). I'm on my 4th e-mail with Tracfone and seem to be getting no where. The rep Yvonne states she is showing that my minutes she added yesterday are showing up, for the 4th time I explained and (3rd time today) I explained that the minutes are not the problem, I still haven't been given the texts and MB of data I'm entitled to. Her last e mail stated she was going to check if the "minutes she added yesterday" were added. I repeated my problem and asked for a supervisor to contact me. HSN has not responded to me since their initial response but I have written them as well about my continuing problems. Not sure what to do next short of porting my minutes out and the sending phone back. Disappointing to say the least as the concept seems great. Does anyone have any ideas how to get this fixed?

tfuser19

@sqwento,
Call 1.800.876.5753/ 1.800.876.5753 8AM - 10PM EST and speak a Tracfone Executive Resolutions CSR. Make sure you have your reference #/ticket #, etc.

tfuser19

I posted my number porting and transfer to S738C experience in the Transferring Number & Minutes - Questions? thread.

tfuser19

From someone on a different forum who bought the Tracfone ZTE android:

"I actually bought a ZTE valet from Bestbuy this afternoon---promptly returned it this evening. The valet is so slow in just about everything, browsing web is like pulling teeth. App switching has noticeable lag. And the screen is terrible, the fonts look fuzzy. Just as a comparision: I bought from eBay a new LG Optimus Elite, 800Mhz single core processor, running Gingerbread Android 2.3.7, much better screen and much more responsive, much lighter/thinner than the ZTE and it only cost me $50.

My recommendation is to try the Samsung Centura. I have a feeling that for these low-end smartphones, older versions of Android might be better in terms of responsiveness."

Would be interesting to hear from someone who tries the Centura and the ZTE side-by-side.

sqwento

@tfuser I appreciate the help but no improvement with calling Tracfone Executive Resolutions. At first i talked to Maria (ID#52003) who said her information showed the data had been added. I was unable to convince her that it had not. I requested a supervisor and transferred to Byron (ID#47901) who told me the same thing after multiple episodes of putting me on hold. I requested his supervisor, he said there was no superior to him available, I asked to have his superior call me tomorrow (I told him I wasn't trying to threaten him but was getting frustrated and just wanted resolution) but then said he wanted to check something. After another few minutes he stated he would be able to add the missing texts and data in increments of 500 as my phone wasn't responding to larger amounts. He asked me to hold and I waited approximately 20 minutes and I was hung up on. As of yet I have had no additional texts or data added. I might try HSN tomorrow by phone but think I'll likely have to port out and return the phone. I must say in every other way this phone has been very good and a lot of fun, I guess I'll have to wait until they work the kinks out to get another one.

tfuser19

@sqwento,
So you've been thru the drill of dialing *22890 to have your phone updated, and when you check the buckets using the website, they are still not correct?

If possible, try to call them in the morning - I suspect more knowledgeable people work during the day. They can make the web balance request on their end and should be able to clearly see that there is a problem if the buckets values are not correct.

sqwento

@Tfuser Great news, my data and texts are just now streaming in. I'm 70 Texts and 500MB short but I'm not complaining. Hopefully the rest come but I must say the advice you gave was right and I thank you. Any advice on adding the HSN 600/600/600 now?

tfuser19

@sqwento,
HSN 600/600/600 is a piece of cake. First wait for your buckets to be filled from today's activity. You just need to go to the Tracfone website and add minutes using the airtime PIN on the HSN receipt. Since your phone is already activated, use the add airtime link, then choose add card online.

annepani

shopcelldeals on ebay has lowered the price for the Centura to $104.99.
That is, $109.99 - $5.00 instant discount which shows up when you add to shopping cart. Free shipping.

About 150 people are watching the item, and it also says how many have been sold (phones, not people) but I
didn't catch that before I changed screens. And besides, it probably will change by the time you read this anyway.

sweetiepoosmom

3:07PM -- telephone number transferred from old phone (LG840g AT&T) to the Centura (Verizon)
Just took a few minutes

So far, nothing is showing up on the TracFone check your balance screen.

Cross your fingers that the 3000 minutes get transferred over and into each of the 3 buckets/tanks.

Stay tuned.

sweetiepoosmom

sweetiepoosmom
October 3, 2013, 3:10 pm
3:07PM -- telephone number transferred from old phone (LG840g AT&T) to the Centura (Verizon)
Just took a few minutes

Cross your fingers that the 3000 minutes get transferred over and into each of the 3 buckets/tanks.

Stay tuned.
3:12PM OMG! Everything transferred into each of the 3 tanks/buckets. :wub:

I am shocked and absolutely cannot believe it went so smoothly.

Now, I'll try to add the 600 minutes (to each of the 3 tanks/buckets) that came with the phone.

Stay tuned!

sweetiepoosmom

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts, or questions on this phone, please post it all here ... thanks.

* Tracfone Samsung Galaxy Centura Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?
* Net10 Samsung Galaxy Centura Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sweetiepoosmom
October 3, 2013, 3:16 pm
sweetiepoosmom
October 3, 2013, 3:10 pm
3:07PM -- telephone number transferred from old phone (LG 840g AT&T) to the Centura (Verizon),
Just took a few minutes.

Stay tuned.
3:12PM OMG! Everything transferred into each of the 3 tanks/buckets. :wub:
I am shocked and absolutely cannot believe it went so smoothly.
Now, I'll try to add the 600 minutes (to each of the 3 tanks/buckets) that came with the phone... Stay tuned!
4:16PM: After taking some personal calls on my landline, I went to the TracFone website and trying getting the 600 minutes/tests/data added. My mistake, I tried entering the order #. Then I used the Activation Code/Airtime pin -- first try didn't work. Second try, it said already used.

When I checked my balance, Yes indeedy, the 600 (minutes/texts/data) were all there!

I am soooooooo grateful that everything worked the way it was supposed to -- just like the good ole' days of porting, activating and transferring minutes from one TracFone to a newer/upgraded phone.

The only thing left to do is -- see if the $25 Google play credit works.

I am very glad I read everyone's horror stories and then prayed, crossed my fingers, and was extremely nice to the ERD Service Agent -- my activation was quick and 100% accurate the very first time.

Thank you to everyone who shared their experiences (good and bad). I feel bad/sorry for the people who had a bad experience; TracFone learned from and made corrections to whatever was wrong albeit at your expense.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.