Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: .... What grade would you give Tracfone/Net10/Straight Talk's customer service?
A
B
C
D
F
Poll Maker
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 6 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) Samsung Galaxy Centura (S738C) Phone Topic
Topic Started: March 12, 2013, 2:40 pm (29,862 Views)
Tech
Member Avatar

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts, or questions on this phone, please post it all here ... thanks.

* Tracfone Samsung Galaxy Centura Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?
* Net10 Samsung Galaxy Centura Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tfuser19
September 23, 2013, 11:22 am
HSN.com was out of stock last night, but now they are back in stock (Extended Delivery option only :
Estimated Delivery on October 7) for $149.95 will all colors available. :)

Mine is not showing shipping yet, but I was told it would ship today and I expect to have it within 3 days or less.

@Tech, I will answer your question once I get my phone.
Thank you.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sqwento

@Tech
I suspect the TF browser will be the default browser and that there won't be much flexibility as far as changing it.
It is a good point, the TF native browser as we know has had its problems(Tech did you see the new forum "TF's
Web Browser & User Agent"). What do think about setting up a separate Google Play account used only on the
Centura funded by Google Play cards bought at a local store. Would that offer any protection? Short of not using
it any other ideas?

tfuser19

tracuser
September 23, 2013, 11:23 am
Has anyones order actually shipped? Mine just says 'packaging.'
I've never ordered from HSN so I'm not sure on processing time.
It will probably show shipped between tonight and tomorrow night, I'm guessing, then another 1-3 days to get to you.
And you will receive an email with a tracking number after it ships. :)

Joeb84

Mine hasn't either and I ordered mine Thursday afternoon on pre-sale. Estimated delivery 9/30.

Joeb84

Tracuser, once the order has shipped you can go to order status and click on the little box called "Track It".
There you can see the UPS progress of your order. Orders usually arrive 7 to 10 business days after they
are shipped using standard shipping. It depends where the item is being shipped from. I've had electronic
items that were shipped from the manufacturer themselves (like in Calif.) that took a lot longer. I hope that
is not the case.

Tarkio101

When I order on the weekend, it ships on Monday... It usually shows in the tracking system on Monday night.
Often starts moving overnight between Mon night and Tues. My packages usually ship from Virginia and take
about 3 days from they start moving... I am hoping for Wednesday, but Thursday is probable as well.

Tech
Member Avatar

sqwento
September 23, 2013, 11:43 am
@Tech
I suspect the TF browser will be the default browser and that there won't be much flexibility as far as changing it.
It is a good point, the TF native browser as we know has had its problems(Tech did you see the new forum "TF's
Web Browser & User Agent"). What do think about setting up a separate Google Play account used only on the
Centura funded by Google Play cards bought at a local store. Would that offer any protection? Short of not using
it any other ideas?
Yes, I did see that thread. I've mentioned this before here and some other little things that really are a big deal regarding how they just assume the rights to do things like this but just doesn't seem to be issues that folks in the fan base community really care about. These are things that are probably best approached in android community discussion platforms.

I don't think the problems with tracfone's browser is a problem per se. I think these are by design on the part of tracfone. They seem to be wanting to move into other consumer based markets and I just don't have any desire to become associated with some of these third parties (certainly don't want my personal data being shared with them) just because of some intellectual property terms of service. There is a boat load of internal storage space here with this device as well and I'm not sure if tracfone will use the intellectual property infrastructure to lock folks out from managing/deleting personal data that is remembered and stored by the default browser in that area of the device. With a genuine smartphone people are going to be doing sensitive things and there is just too much of a history with tracfone's native browser using this intellectual property meme to give itself elevated rights to store your personal data history and then blocking the user from accessing and managing it.

I don't know. Really you won't see it unless you buy it and test it. I just don't know if I want to blow a hundred dollars just to verify what I probably already know.

Of course, if you can make that icon open the page you want and it's the native samsung browser then that changes everything. This is why I asked the question in the first place.

tracuser

Can't you use something like Opera instead?

Tech
Member Avatar

tracuser
September 23, 2013, 1:01 pm
Can't you use something like Opera instead?
That's basically what i was asking. Can the end user make that browser icon open up the default browser
and home page of the end users choice? Opera mini, chrome, firefox...whatever. Or is it locked down to the
tracfone browser and this tracfone mobile web? Especially since it syncs and signs into all of your google
accounts the second that you tap on it... I'm sure you can download and use any browser of your choice
(opera mini is actually the best since it compresses data) but it would be nice to be able to open it with the
actual browser icon on the device.

acefuture

Joeb84
September 23, 2013, 9:34 am
Found these really nice covers at Cellular Outfitters. Nice selection and great prices.

http://www.cellularoutfitter.com/sb-9-sm-1551-sc-3-samsung-galaxy-centura-s738c-galaxy-discover
Actually those covers look a lot like the ones shown on HSN. Maybe HSN really is including a full case, albeit
a rubberized plastic one (at least for the solid colors) with a back and front piece that snap together. They may
have only shown the back pieces in their on-air presentations.

I may have been incorrect in my earlier speculation that they were just shipping a different colored back cover
to replace the one on the phone. If so, that would be a big improvement and really add a bit of actual value to
this package. Of course a rubber/silicone case would be best in my opinion, but still...

My advice would be to wait and see what we actually get from HSN before ordering any other cases.

tfuser19

tracuser
September 23, 2013, 1:01 pm
Can't you use something like Opera instead
@tracuser,

I currently have Opera Mini and UC Browser installed on my LG 840G and Samsung S390G and they both
blow away the built-in browser. I will definitely be installing my primary browser of choice, UC Browser on my
new S738C.

We'll probably be able to install other Android browsers like Chrome and Firefox too .... B-)

For those of you who are not familiar with Tech - he does not care for Tracfone's way of business (go check
the http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/topic/4935151/ LG840G thread to see what I mean) .... so you gotta' take
what he says with big grains of salt .

@Tech, correct my interpretation if I'm wrong. And what phone/provider are you using now?
I thought you poopoo'd Tracfone and bailed out. ;)

@Everyone, All I gotta' say is if you're not happy with Tracfone let us know why, and when you find a better
value, please share it with me/us cause I'm open minded and might be ready to join ya'. :)

tfuser19

@acefuture,
Come back down to earth ;) . What you and I saw is what you get ..... a hard plastic snap-onto-the back
shield with no front which have a most likely has a rubberized coating on it.

IIRC, someone here said during the HSN.com show, a phone with cover was dropped - I did not catch that,
but they might be able to give us a play-by-play on how it went down. :)

Tech
Member Avatar

Yes, as tfuser19 states, definitely don't base your decisions on my pet peeves. This is a big step for tracfone users and actually the best device out of the coming 4 for use with Android. It's a good move forward for anyone who wants or needs better technology. I'm actually glad to see this happen because one of my biggest pet peeves has been the fact that poor students, minorities and others who rely upon inexpensive technology just haven't had the same opportunities as those with the money for the iphones and all of that. They have been marketed to consume useless junk moreso than being able to do the most basic of things like open a simple pdf file from thir email. Who knows, maybe it was a student aide application or something. I've always thought that they were being taken advantage of with the old carrot and stick shenanigans.

tfuser19, my personal device is a Windows Phone but mobile technology is actually a large part of my field and so I try to cover aspects of things that come with it that not everyone considers or wants to hear. I know that some of the things that I bring up aren't popular among the die hard fan base who promote these devices and accessories but it really is nothing personal toward tracfone. I used them for over a decade. And, in fact, may decide to use them again if I find that we're actually in control of some of the permissions/settings granted to the default browser regarding personal data.

ciliegia

Now that the other Android phones are on the TF page (under the support tab), does anyone know when
they will be coming out? ... I'm assuming before Thanksgiving as they are already on the site.

Which of the four phones are best? Why? Which has the largest screen? Can the Android OS be upgraded?

Joeb84

Yes acefuture they look very similar. I've shopped with HSN for over 25 years, and found they always include
a nice package of accessories with their offers. I'm sure we'll be satisfied. I guess we will just have to wait and
see. I ordered the paisley and my order is still listed as "packaging".

Can't wait till it's shipped... All this speculation is driving me crazy. LoL

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

ciliegia
September 23, 2013, 4:44 pm
Now that the other Android phones are on the TF page (under the support tab), does anyone know when
they will be coming out? ... I'm assuming before Thanksgiving as they are already on the site.

Which of the four phones are best? Why? Which has the largest screen? Can the Android OS be upgraded?
@ciliegia

As of right now, I have seen nothing as to when the other Android phones will be released. We all assume
that they will be released "shortly," since both the tutorials and the user guides are posted. However, with
Tracfone, never assume anything until you see the actual phone available for sale.

I don't know which of the four phones is the best. But, I can suggest which one is the poorest in terms of
performance. That would be the LG Optimus Dynamic because it only runs on Gingerbread (2.3)...
That is old technology.

In addition, the LG Optimus Dynamic only has a 3.2-inch screen. To my knowledge, all of the others have
a 3.5-inch screen.

I don't know if the Android OS can be upgraded. I haven't seen any information yet on that aspect of the phones.
Perhaps someone else on the Forum can comment.

ShadowDancer :)

Tarkio101

I would not count on the os ever being updated. The update needs to be provided by the carrier in nearly all
instances, and I'm quite certain Trac will never update it. Even the big network operators, ie att, vzw etc don't
bother many times. Even with very expensive phones...

Piqutchi

Well, I thought things over, and I decided that I'm not going to jump on this right away.
Instead, I'll either wait for a price drop, or a better offering from Tracfone (like a BYOD SIM card).

My 840G and Nexus 7 are enough for 90% of situations, and I personally think $120-150 is a pretty high
price for a phone like this.

annepani

Piqutchi
September 23, 2013, 8:48 pm
Well, I thought things over, and I decided that I'm not going to jump on this right away. Instead, I'll either
wait for a price drop, or a better offering from Tracfone (like a BYOD SIM card). My 840G and Nexus 7 are
enough for 90% of situations, and I personally think $120-150 is a pretty high price for a phone like this.
Which company do you have the Nexus 7 with?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tfuser19

annepani has confirmed following:
Tracfone "Galaxy Centura from shopcelldeals does not include $25 Google play card ".
I figured they would have mentioned it in their eBay listing if it was included - but now we know for sure.

So that was unique to the HSN exclusive deal. :) Thanks annepani !

tfuser19

I just got an email from UPS with my tracking # , but HSN has not sent me an email yet and it still says
PACKAGING on their site. It's being delivered UPS->USPS->me and scheduled delivery is Wednesday
September 25th. :)

Joeb84

Wow that's fast. Did you opt for express delivery?

tfuser19

Joeb84
September 23, 2013, 11:24 pm
Wow that's fast. Did you opt for express delivery?
No, just ordered really ... after midnight Thursday - so early Friday. They probably ship the earliest orders first.

Joeb84

That's great. I ordered Friday also on pre-sale. Not as early as you. I think it was either the late afternoon or
early evening. I don't really remember. My order says packaging still with an estimated delivery of Mon. 9/30.

That would be great if I got it this week, also... What state is it being shipped from.

annepani

If anyone is having buyer's remorse after getting the Centura from HSN, I would be interested in buying the
whole package from you without the 600 minutes but including the $25 Google Play Card. I have no need of
the minutes. If you are interested in selling, please PM me. Please include the state that you are having the
package shipped to. No other information about the shipping address. Just the state... Thanks.

Piqutchi

annepani
September 23, 2013, 9:07 pm
Piqutchi
September 23, 2013, 8:48 pm
Well, I thought things over, and I decided that I'm not going to jump on this right away. Instead, I'll either
wait for a price drop, or a better offering from Tracfone (like a BYOD SIM card). My 840G and Nexus 7 are
enough for 90% of situations, and I personally think $120-150 is a pretty high price for a phone like this.
Which company do you have the Nexus 7 with?
My Nexus 7 is WiFi-only.

What I mean is that most of the time, I'm at a place with WiFi when I need Internet.
The 840G's browser is okay for the few situations where I need Internet yet cannot connect to WiFi.

Tarkio101

From what I found online, looks like this phone is android 4.0.4. For those who don't know, 4.0 is the "version" of android...Ice Cream Sandwich. The .4 is the "update version," meaning it has the forth (and final) set up of software tweaks, bug fixes etc released for ICS.

What does this mean? Mostly that this is a mid to low end phone by design. In other words, it isn't necessarily an older model that is still floating around warehouses waiting to be sold. It was made to run 4.0 to keep the cost down, but it's received all of the fixes the software needs to work well. Most brand new phones you will find will have the up to date update, but a refurbished, used, or close out type model may well not. And if it doesn't have it, it can be hard to get correctly installed, but maybe not possible on Trac.

So I would say it's good news overall. After all, this version was the top one only about a year ago, and we have the latest updates to it. And if you look around online, from any carrier, they are still selling plenty of 4.0 software phones today.

muddy211

And don't forget, we can always Root the phone and add any custom Rom we want... :D :D :D

acefuture

My phone has shipped!

Sometime today my order status on HSN was changed from "packaging" to "Shipped". .. Checking the tracking
progress, the package was actually shipped yesterday from Baltimore and is in Chicago today with a scheduled
delivery in Phoenix on Friday 9/27.

For information purposes, I placed my order on Saturday around 1:00 pm Eastern time. I ordered a black case/cover.

I just chose standard free shipping (UPS ground).

Can't wait for it to get here. :D

sweetiepoosmom

acefuture
September 24, 2013, 9:34 pm
My phone has shipped!

Sometime today my order status on HSN was changed from "packaging" to "Shipped". .. Checking the tracking
progress, the package was actually shipped yesterday from Baltimore and is in Chicago today with a scheduled

For information purposes, I placed my order on Saturday around 1:00 pm Eastern time. I ordered a black case/cover.

Congratulations! I can't wait till you receive it and tell us all about it.

FYI: The case/cover is actually a "colored back" according to the HSN website.
I'm sure that it's like the "colored back" that we got to select for the LG 840g.

My order status says Packaging -- which is strange because I received an email from HSN on Sunday
basically saying that they oversold the item even though when I ordered it (Saturday night around 11:30PM),
it was available for Regular/Standard Delivery. The only phone that was available for Extended Delivery was
the paisley back. (I also selected the black back.)

tfuser19

sweetiepoosmom
September 24, 2013, 9:45 pm
I'm sure that it's like the "colored back" that we got to select for the LG 840g.
sweetiepoosmom,

Where did you get "colored back" from? Go look at the HSN.com page for the S738C and verify what you wrote.
Please quote what it says if I'm wrong.

UPDATE: Okay, on the HSN.com phone page, I see reference to CHOICE OF COLORED BACK, so that can lead
to this confusion because they later say "Choice of protective shield"... This will all be answered tomorrow, since
some of us should have our phones by then.

It clearly says "Choice of protective shield" on the website and it looks like a protective shield that snaps onto
the back of the phone over the battery cover -- unlike the LG 840G battery cover replacement that HSN.com
includes with the LG 840G.

tracuser

acefuture
September 24, 2013, 9:34 pm
My phone has shipped!

Mine shipped too but it is coming from Maryland so, for me, it will be a few days...

sqwento

@tfuser19
On HSN's site at the Centura's page:
(http://www.hsn.com/products/samsung-galaxy-centura-android-tracfone-wgoogle-play/7260566) the Exclusive
Bundle is shown as "The Samsung Galaxy Android Phone", "Choice of Colored Back", "Car Charger" and "$25
Google Play Card" (see webpage above at the top of the page just under the search bar).. Looks like this likely
won't be anything better than was provided with the LG 840, I guess we'll know for sure in a couple of days.
I thought it looked more substantial on TV, not so much on the website.

GaryST

Mine changed from packaging to shipped this evening. Says Thursday delivery. Ordered Sat morning.

Tech
Member Avatar

muddy211
September 24, 2013, 8:28 pm
And don't forget, we can always Root the phone and add any custom Rom we want... :D :D :D
Heh. Who is going to be the first to try it? B-)

Tarkio101

Tech
September 24, 2013, 11:37 pm
muddy211
September 24, 2013, 8:28 pm
Heh. Who is going to be the first to try it? B-)
I'd rooted several androids, but I don't know how doing so might affect tracfone installed software, so I'm not
planning on rooting this one. Don't need a brick...

sweetiepoosmom

tfuser19
September 24, 2013, 10:13 pm
sweetiepoosmom
September 24, 2013, 9:45 pm
sweetiepoosmom,

Where did you get "colored back" from? Go look at the HSN.com page for the S738C and verify what you wrote.
Please quote what it says if I'm wrong.

UPDATE: Okay, on the HSN.com phone page, I see reference to CHOICE OF COLORED BACK, so that can lead
to this confusion because they later say "Choice of protective shield"... This will all be answered tomorrow, since
some of us should have our phones by then.

It clearly says "Choice of protective shield" on the website and it looks like a protective shield that snaps onto
the back of the phone over the battery cover -- unlike the LG 840G battery cover replacement that HSN.com
includes with the LG 840G.
**Hopefully**, it will be a "protective shield" that goes over the back of the phone/baterry cover and wraps over the top and sides.

Fingers crossed.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
September 23, 2013, 4:16 am
For those who are interested to know, or may be looking for accessories for this phone, the Galaxy Centura is also called the Galaxy Discover http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=4054 I know that phone names can get confusing when they are called something different on different carriers, so since I ran across this I thought I would post it.
If indeed Tarkio101 is correct in his post that the Tracfone Samsung Galaxy Centura is the equivalent of the Cricket Wireless Samsung Galaxy Discover, then here is a September 25, 2013 CNET review of the Cricket Wireless phone, if anyone is interested.

Remember, the Tracfone model will not have the Cricket Wireless digital music downloads which the reviewer mentions.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-discover-cricket/4505-6452_7-35769214.html

tfuser19

sweetiepoosmom
September 25, 2013, 8:56 am
**Hopefully**, it will be a "protective shield" that goes over the back of the phone/baterry cover and wraps over the top and sides.

Fingers crossed.
Got mine this afternoon :) and the "protective shield" is as you described ..... two pieces and it has perfect cutouts for headphone jack, camera, power and volume button, etc.

It does not appear to come with any starter minutes/days ..... so have to add the 600/600/600 which the package came with during activation. Off to go activate it now.

Tarkio101

Wow, that review almost makes me wish I hadn't ordered it.

The only good things mentioned this version will have is a removable battery and memory card slot. Yikes.

In the negative column is battery life, call quality, slow processor and data speeds..

sqwento

@Shadow Dancer,
Ouch, that's a pretty harsh review. Since the benchmark for Tracfone phone performance is the LG 840, I'm hoping most of us will be happier with the Centura than the reviewer who is comparing it to other Android phones. The review does highlight that this phone is at the low end of Android performance (likely not surprising to anyone here).

@Tfuser ... Good news on the case, let us know how the phone works for you.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

sqwento
September 25, 2013, 4:46 pm
@Shadow Dancer, Ouch, that's a pretty harsh review. Since the benchmark for Tracfone phone performance is the LG840, I'm hoping most of us will be happier with the Centura than the reviewer who is comparing it to other Android phones. The review does highlight that this phone is at the low end of Android performance (likely not surprising to anyone here).

@Tfuser Good news on the case, let us know how the phone works for you.
@sqwento --

You make an excellent point! . . .That is, since most of those who ordered the phone are used to Tracfone feature phones, this phone should feel like a step-up. The reviewer, on the other hand, is comparing the phone to other Android smartphones. So, hopefully, the various downsides which the reviewer notes, won't be that obvious to the new first-time smartphone owners.

And, overall, he still does rate the phone as "good."

Louise29

Are we positive that the Centura model is the same as the Discover?.. At any rate, the Centura gets decent
reviews over at Amazon. The Net10 version gets 4 stars and the Straight Talk version gets three and a half.

Tech
Member Avatar

Straight talk but the same model none the less...

Samsung Centura Full Review... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze4N8Je5UmA

sweetiepoosmom

tfuser19
September 25, 2013, 4:15 pm
sweetiepoosmom
September 25, 2013, 8:56 am

Fingers crossed.
Got mine this afternoon :) and the "protective shield" is as you described ..... two pieces and it has perfect cutouts for headphone jack, camera, power and volume button, etc.

It does not appear to come with any starter minutes/days ..... so have to add the 600/600/600 which the package came with during activation. Off to go activate it now.
Alrighty! Your new phone has arrived. I'm happy that the "protective shield" does go over the back of the phone/battery cover and wraps over the top and sides of the phone!!!

I just received an email from HSN, my phone has been shipped. Yeah.

I ordered a SANDISK PIXTOR 32GB MICROSDHC microSDHC Class 10 Memory Card with adapter from Best Buy last night (on sale for $20.99 plus tax) -- picked it up today. It was a one day deal and the price sounded good to me. I don't know if this memory card will work in this phone but I'll try to find out.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

A word of caution to new Android users --

Be careful removing the microSD card -- you have to un-mount it first, or you may lose data on it.
This path may not be exactly what is on the Centura phone, but something like this (Settings > Storage > Unmount)

Also the "Unmount" command on my Android phone (LG45C) is right next to the "Erase SD card" command.
If that is the case on the Samsung, then you certainly want to be cautious where you touch the screen.

I was reminded of this by one of my Android devices, removing a storage component without unmounting it first
resulted in my having to re-load the Android system from my PC. Hopefully, the Samsung is more robust than that.

Tarkio101

Louise29
September 25, 2013, 6:08 pm
Are we positive that the Centura model is the same as the Discover?.. At any rate, the Centura gets decent
reviews over at Amazon. The Net10 version gets 4 stars and the Straight Talk version gets three and a half.
I am sure. One reason I say that is because they look identical and have the same specs (camera, processor, screen etc.) But the main reason I believe it to be true is that Phonescoop lists them as the same phone. And it is common for phones to have multiple names for different carriers, different countries, etc. With that said, there are sometimes some small differences between models made for different carriers, while still being close to identical.

If you look at this link, it lists it as the Samsung Galaxy Discover/Centura. http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=4054

They are comparing the phone to all of the phones out there, including the very high end ones. I'm glad they do, because I would hate for them to rate a phone in a subjective matter. I do like a review to essentially hold it up against the other phones out there, not just sit and talk about all the good things, without mentioning that a particular phone (not this one, just whichever might be in a review) is horrible to use.

And part of why I said that I may regret getting this phone, is that I was mainly considering a wide variety of different phones, nearly all higher end than this. If I didn't think this phone was good for what it is, I wouldn't have ordered it. If I did regret it, it would only be because I wished I had gotten one of the higher end phones. I think most people are going to like this phone. And I wouldn't be surprised if I love it myself. You know how it is after you order something, you aren't sure if you did the right thing? I was just having one of those moments:) Didn't intend to scare anyone lol.

tfuser19

Okay, so I activated my S738C via the Tracfone website. You need the Activation Code/Airtime Pin printed towards the top right side of the invoice that comes with your order.

After activation, you can go to the Tracfone website to check your balance. You will see:

Minutes: 600.0 Minutes
Text Messages: 600 Text Messages
Data (MB): 600.0 Mb of Web Browsing
Service End Date 12/24/2013

If there's a way to do it on the phone, I have not figured out how, but when you request the balance via the website, the information gets send to your phone in a message that you can see.

The following link works to check your balance from phone (I used WiFi) or PC (you need the last 4 digits of the phone's IMEI #):
https://www.tracfone.com/direct/CheckBalance?input_phone=<your 10-digit number>

IMPORTANT:
Before you activate your phone, you may want to disable cell network data usage by doing the following;
click the menu button (bottom left side) -> Data usage (under WIRELESS & NETWORKS) -> slide the Mobile data switch to OFF.
Somehow I used up 22.87KB, so my data balance is now 599.98Mb ^_^ .

Activation was no problem. Just be sure to follow the enclosed directions. I can make and receive calls, but did not actually complete any calls to test voice quality. I have not yet sent or received any text messages nor have I tried browsing using the cell network.

The protective shield is nice. AC charger with detachable USB cable is nice.
There's a lot to learn with this phone. I've been using WiFi to check out may Gmail and Yahoo mail. I like it a lot so far.

The larger screen compared to my S390G and LG840G is a big plus, and now I can lock this darn phone with a pin code without going through all the manual one time nonsense of my other Tracfones.

It is very cool that you can rotate the phone and the apps automatically rotate to follow the direction in which you're holding the phone :) .

Lemme know if you have any question.

@Tech,
The phone came with installed with Chrome and the built-in browser is decent.

annepani

@tfusr19

More, more. We want more!

sweetiepoosmom

tfuser19
September 25, 2013, 11:31 pm
Okay, so I activated my S738C via the Tracfone website. You need the Activation Code/Airtime Pin printed towards the top right side of the invoice that comes with your order.

After activation, you can go to the Tracfone website to check your balance. You will see:

Minutes: 600.0 Minutes
Text Messages: 600 Text Messages
Data (MB): 600.0 Mb of Web Browsing
Service End Date 12/24/2013

If there's a way to do it on the phone, I have not figured out how, but when you request the balance via the website, the information gets send to your phone in a message that you can see.

The following link works to check your balance from phone (I used WiFi) or PC (you need the last 4 digits of the phone's IMEI #):
https://www.tracfone.com/direct/CheckBalance?input_phone=<your 10-digit number>

IMPORTANT:
Before you activate your phone, you may want to disable cell network data usage by doing the following;
click the menu button (bottom left side) -> Data usage (under WIRELESS & NETWORKS) -> slide the Mobile data switch to OFF.
Somehow I used up 22.87KB, so my data balance is now 599.98Mb ^_^ .

Activation was no problem. Just be sure to follow the enclosed directions. I can make and receive calls, but did not actually complete any calls to test voice quality. I have not yet sent or received any text messages nor have I tried browsing using the cell network.

The protective shield is nice. AC charger with detachable USB cable is nice.
There's a lot to learn with this phone. I've been using WiFi to check out may Gmail and Yahoo mail. I like it a lot so far.

The larger screen compared to my S390G and LG840G is a big plus, and now I can lock this darn phone with a pin code without going through all the manual one time nonsense of my other Tracfones.

It is very cool that you can rotate the phone and the apps automatically rotate to follow the direction in which you're holding the phone :) .

Lemme know if you have any question.

@Tech,
The phone came with installed with Chrome and the built-in browser is decent.
Congrats again.

I'm sure that the answer is NO, but I'll ask anyways -- did it come with a micro memory card?

tfuser19

@sweetiepoosmom, No microSD - darn, wish I knew about the BB deal yesterday.

@annepani - I forgot to mention, I tried voice command during google search, and the darn thing works. I just tried "Turk Tracfone" ...... it took a few tries, but finally got it. Maybe I was speaking to softly. I don't need no stinkin' iPhone :) .

tfuser19

Okay, this I don't like:

I sent two text messages to the new S738C and my text balance went from 600 to 598 even though I did not read/open the text messages. So unlike my other Tracfones, this one charges you when the message gets to the phone whether you read it or not. :(

If your number gets on some spambots list, there go all your text messages.

Also, I have not been able to figure out how you see the phone balances without using the website ....

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

tfuser19
September 26, 2013, 1:08 am
Okay, this I don't like:

I sent two text messages to the new S738C and my text balance went from 600 to 598 even though I did not read/open the text messages. So unlike my other Tracfones, this one charges you when the message gets to the phone whether you read it or not. :(
tfuser19 --

Well, that's not good! Boy, that could really get expensive. :blink:

Tell me, when the text messages arrived on your new phone, could you tell who they were from without opening them?
Or, did you have to open the text messages to see who the sender was? .......Thanks.

ciliegia

tfuser19
September 26, 2013, 1:08 am
Okay, this I don't like:

I sent two text messages to the new S738C and my text balance went from 600 to 598 even though I did not read/open the text messages. So unlike my other Tracfones, this one charges you when the message gets to the phone whether you read it or not :( .

If your number gets on some spambots list, there go all your text messages.

Also, I have not been able to figure out how you see the phone balances without using the website ....
Did they also deduct time once the message was opened? Did they double dip?

Tech
Member Avatar

tfuser19
September 25, 2013, 11:31 pm
@Tech, ... The phone came with installed with Chrome and the built-in browser is decent.
Thanks for the feedback on that. This chrome browser opens up by default when you tap the browser icon? The little globe down in the right hand corner? And if it does, can you change the default home screen that you see when you open this browser?

This is the biggest thing for me in deciding on trying this thing out for a while.

I had thought about the texting thing before i signed in and thankfully it was the first thing that I saw answered. That's kind of screwy. The thing there is that the spam calls and texts that you get are dependent upon what information the browser that you are using gives to whatever web site you're looking at. If your browser is just handing over your phone number to web sites that share traffic info with their third party vendors without the ability to stop it from doing that then obviously you'll see more spam calls and texts. Seems like I only get these calls and texts after messing with the tracfone browser. Again, not bashing tracfone but it seems like there's is the only browser that just hands over this info to web sites which is why I asked the question about default browser delegation with that main browser icon.

Anyhow. Thanks again for the feedback. Appreciate it.

Louise29

I don't have my phone yet, so I don't know if this will help, but according to the manual under "Messaging Settings" you can turn "Auto-retrieve" on and off. However, I don't know if this will allow you to screen messages and delete them before you "retrieve" them or not.

muddy211

Arrived yesterday...Sure isn't a Galaxy S4 but didn't expect that at that price point. First thing after getting it fired up was to DL Uninstaller from the Play Store to get rid of as much bloatware as I could. DL Dolphin Browser as I think its the best for Android and DL Quick Settings...Seems like a nice little phone...

tfuser19

Okay, first more on the texting charges:
1. I put the phone in airplane mode (which means it's disconnected from the cell network), and it still let's me use WiFi - which is a great thing. In AP mode, the phone cannot receive any text messages. Well, guess what ........ I sent a test message (checked balance before and after text was sent - but before I took it out of AP mode) and still got deducted 1 text message even though the phone had not received the text message yet. So matter whether you read the message or it even gets to your phone, you're still gonna' pay one text unit per message sent to you ........ now that really stinks if you're used to the old text charging where you don't get charged until you open the message to read it :( .

I did confirm also that sending a SMS message costs 1 text message unit.

2. Under Messaging(icon)->Menu (button)->Settings, under the MULTIMEDIA MESSAGES section is a check box "Auto -retrieve" (Automatically retrieve messages - it was check by default). It did not have any effect on SMS messages (as expected) and I have not tried sending MMS messages to the phone.

3. The default browser goes to a Tracfone website that lets you check your balance, add/buy airtime, etc. That page also has some small icons at the top labeled Call (bring up the phone dial pad if you press it), Email (web page to email Tracfone), Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Full Site. Then on the bottom of that page, more small icons Share(Facebook), Tweet, Email(lets you choose email clients to open), and Code (shows Tracfone QR code - what good is that?). @Tech, Yes! Under Settings->General there is an option to set the home page (I'm not planning . I'm not too concerned about this browser at the moment, since there Chrome, and I installed UC browser - my favorite. I have not tried Dolphin (does not come on the phone, but it seems highly rated).

4. On my full first charge, the battery has lasted about 19 hours - I let it get to 6%). I did do a lot of WiFi, installing apps, etc during this period. It seems to be charging pretty fast ... it's up to 43% in about an 1.25 hrs .

5. If you're a heavy texter, this phone could become expensive unless we find a way to convert unused voice minutes or use a lite app that can send text across the cell network. There are apps, I believe that will do free text messages via WiFi, but I have not tried that on this phone yet.

So far this is a keeper for me. I love that we can have multiple applications running at the same time. Let me know if you have any other questions.

ST Dog

DoctorM
September 21, 2013, 7:20 pm
I just know CDMA does not do roaming (my user manual says so, the fine print in the TracFone/Net10
agreement says so, techies say so, Wikipedia says so, and many others with CDMA confirm this.)

If you don't travel much, you shouldn't have any problem. If you do travel, carry a GSM phone as backup.
I haven't used it in a while, but my Nokia 2285 (CDMA) charged 2x for calls when roaming.
So did my Nokia 5185(AMPS ). At one time that was the norm for TF (and most other carriers).

As I recall the home area was bigger than zip code, but not nation wide.

Later when TF offered GSM phones they started the free roaming.

That all was roaming outside your home area, not necessarily roaming to another carrier.

Even now, you can't uses data when roaming to another carrier with GSM phones.
You can only use voice and SMS.

It's always been a good idea to carry a backup as some areas only have GSM coverage and some only have CDMA. I often get in places where I can't use my GSM phone, but CDMA users are fine. Just last weekend in fact. I occasionally had a weak, barely usable, AT&T signal, never roamed to T-Mobile, yet the Verizon users had a good signal (even 3G data service).

ST Dog

sqwento
September 23, 2013, 11:43 am
It is a good point, the TF native browser as we know has had its problems
There was no "TF native browser"

It varies from phone to phone, based (at least in part) on what the manufacturer wanted.

My S390G has a very different browser than my LG500G had, and both are different form the others I've seen (LG840G, LG800G, EX124G, T404G).

Chrome is the default Android browser and that's what I wouild expect. I also expect that the home page will be set to a TF page, but user changable.

At worst, you root the p[hone and change what ever you want.

TF can't control an android like the could the feature phone.
Look around a bit and you can find rooting, CyanogenMod Recovery, and a few alternate OS builds for the Centura (based on the ST.N10 releases).

ST Dog

Tarkio101
September 23, 2013, 1:00 am
ShadowDancer
September 22, 2013, 11:59 am
His price for just the phone is $119.99... Here's the link:
Looks like a terrible deal by comparison. No one ever has the deals that HSN gets.
Compared to the intro on HSN sure, but not now.

$150 on HSN v/s $120 and he sells the 200Minute card for $32.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130955570972

So, SCD is $2 more and doesn't include the car charger or cover (real value? $5? $0 as I have car chargers and the cove seams a waste).

ST Dog

ShadowDancer
September 23, 2013, 5:35 pm
That would be the LG Optimus Dynamic because it only runs on Gingerbread (2.3)...
Nothing wrong with Gingerbread. I know a lot of people still using it. ICS/JB don't really offer that much to a lot of users.

Meanwhile I run CM10 on my NookHD because I like the added features and changes.
Quote:

I don't know if the Android OS can be upgraded. I haven't seen any information yet on that aspect of the phones.
Official update, sent over the air, unlikely, but...

See my other post about CWM recover and such for the Centura.

I haven't looked, but I suspect it's available for the others. I think CM9 would be a good fit for the LG.

sqwento

By Native Browser I was referring to the one supplied by Tracfone.

ST Dog

sqwento
September 26, 2013, 2:41 pm
By Native Browser I was referring to the one supplied by Tracfone.
My point was that varied from phone to phone.

Even the issues like Tech has, I don't know that they are true for all the different browsers included on the different TF devices.

I've certainly never had the spam issues related to my LG500G (not that I use the browser much) or my S390G (lots of browser use, but mostly on wi-fi)

tfuser19

ST Dog
September 26, 2013, 2:23 pm
Tarkio101
September 23, 2013, 1:00 am
ShadowDancer
September 22, 2013, 11:59 am

His price for just the phone is $119.99... Here's the link:
Looks like a terrible deal by comparison. No one ever has the deals that HSN gets.
Compared to the intro on HSN sure, but not now.

$150 on HSN v/s $120 and he sells the 200Minute card for $32.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130955570972

So, SCD is $2 more and doesn't include the car charger or cover (real value? $5? $0 as I have car chargers and the cove seams a waste).
I don't think the cover is a complete waste and you completely overlooked the $25 Google Play card HSN provides in your deal in your comparison. Now someones else is gonna' come along and tell us the $25 Google Play card is worth nothing ^o) .

cjon71

Chrome is not the default browser for all Android devices, and it will not run on Gingerbread. If this phone is like most other devices, it will allow you to set what ever browser you like as your default browser. I recommend the Next browser, available for free in the Google Play App store. It is fast and provides a lot of functionality.

I currently use the Samsung S390 G as my phone but I also carry a LG Optimus Elite as my wifi device. It's internal specs are identical to the Samsung Galaxy Centura. Snapdragon 800 mhz processor 512 megs of ram. It runs Gingerbread and is faster than the Motorola Droid X I used to use, which packs a better processor. The thing about these budget prepaid devices is that they pretty much run stock operating systems which makes them faster. When you buy a similar device from Verizon or AT&T they ad the custom overlays to the os thus making them slower. I will be definitely be getting an Android to replace my S390 G.

tfuser19

@cjon71,
Have you ever tried UC browser (available on Google Play) or Dolphin browser on your phones, and if so what did you think? I've never heard of Next browser ........ I'll have to check it out. I've been using UC browser on my S390G up and have it on the S738C now - but always looking for new options ;) .

tfuser19

To anyone just opening their phone, before you activate or connect it to WiFi, please
Menu button(bottom left)->System settings->About phone (all the way at the bottom) and tell me what Android version it came with. Mine says 4.0.4 and I'm not sure if it got updated or if that's the original. Thanks!

cjon71

tfuser19
September 26, 2013, 3:28 pm
@cjon71,
Have you ever tried UC browser (available on Google Play) or Dolphin browser on your phones, and if so what did you think? I've never heard of Next browser ........ I'll have to check it out. I've been using UC browser on my S390G up and have it on the S738C now - but always looking for new options ;) .
I tried UC browser on my S390G and didn't care for it. I preferred Opera Mini on that device. On Android I have only tried Opera Mini, the stock Android Browser, and Next Browser. I've been meaning to give Dolphin a try though, I have a friend that swears by it.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

New listing on eBay by ShopCellDeals . . . $149.99

Samsung Galaxy Centura Android with 600 Minutes/Text/Data Included -- Tracfone

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Centura-Android-with-600-Minutes-Text-Data-Included-Tracfone

tfuser19

Nothing against SCD, but the HSN deal is better.
You get the extras: car charger, protective shield, and $25 Google Play card for the $0.04 less. ;)
http://www.hsn.com/products/samsung-galaxy-centura-android-tracfone-wgoogle-play/10065639

ShadowDancer
September 26, 2013, 3:57 pm
New listing on eBay by ShopCellDeals . . . $149.99
Samsung Galaxy Centura Android with 600 Minutes/Text/Data Included -- Tracfone
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Centura-Android-with-600-Minutes-Text-Data-Included-Tracfone

Tarkio101

And hsn will end up running the same "today's special" price over and over. They have run the 840g and 390g dozens upon dozens of times in a year. They are on special as much as they are back to other price. Most likely it will fall in price as well. Probably before Christmas.

Louise29

tfuser19, did you try to transfer any minutes from another phone? A guy over on the HSN board said that TF customer service refused to give him his 3 buckets correctly. They took his 900 minutes and divided it into 300 minutes, 300 texts, 300 MB data. He called HSN and they are supposed to straighten it out. I was just curious to see if anyone else had the same issue. I wouldn't be surprised.

ST Dog

tfuser19
September 26, 2013, 3:12 pm
I don't think the cover is a complete waste and you completely overlooked the $25 Google Play card HSN provides in your deal in your comparison. Now someones else is gonna' come along and tell us the $25 Google Play card is worth nothing ^o) .
Scratch that $2 difference
www.ebay.com/itm/151131278019

Waiting to see pics of the cover. Earlier it didn't sound real useful.

As for the $25 card, it's not worth much to me. I've not bought a single app on any of my tablets.
The free ones have been fine. I don't really play games which tend to be what costs.
Maybe I could sell it for $20?

ST Dog

cjon71
September 26, 2013, 3:24 pm
Chrome is not the default browser for all Android devices, and it will not run on Gingerbread.
Oops. For some reason I thought the Android stock browser was modified Chrome (considering the Google connections why have 2 separate browser trees?)

I've not used it much as I installed alternates immediately.

ST Dog

tfuser19
September 26, 2013, 4:23 pm
You get the extras: car charger, protective shield, and $25 Google Play card for the $0.04 less. ;)
Still waiting on pics of the cover/shield.

ST Dog

Louise29
September 26, 2013, 5:04 pm
A guy over on the HSN board said that TF customer service refused to give him his 3 buckets correctly. They took his 900 minutes and divided it into 300 minutes, 300 texts, 300 MB data. He called HSN and they are supposed to straighten it out.
HSN board?

cjon71

ST Dog
September 26, 2013, 5:24 pm
cjon71
September 26, 2013, 3:24 pm
Chrome is not the default browser for all Android devices, and it will not run on Gingerbread.
Oops. For some reason I thought the Android stock browser was modified Chrome (considering the Google connections why have 2 separate browser trees?)

I've not used it much as I installed alternates immediately.

Yeah I used to think it was too, until I was doing some research on browsers and found out they were different.

tfuser19

Louise29
September 26, 2013, 5:04 pm
tfuser19, did you try to transfer any minutes from another phone? A guy over on the HSN board said that TF customer service refused to give him his 3 buckets correctly. They took his 900 minutes and divided it into 300 minutes, 300 texts, 300 MB data. He called HSN and they are supposed to straighten it out. I was just curious to see if anyone else had the same issue. I wouldn't be surprised.
@Louise29,
I wanted to make sure I like the phone and understand all the charging quirks before transferring my # and minutes over, so I did not transfer minutes from another phone. I double checked the package after reading this post and it clearly gives an example that if you bought a 400min card, you get 1200/1200/1200 on this phone - so what they did to him is wrong. I hope Tracfone gets this straightened out soon. Post an update here if you see one from him.

tfuser19

The stock browser user agent string is "Android Webkit 4.0".

tfuser19

The shield from HSN.com looks more or less like this:
Posted Image.

There are a few holes missing in the one pictured above.

Louise29

Quote:

HSN Board?
HSN has a message board. His comments are in the "Electronics" section.

tfuser19: I decided to wait before I transferred my minutes too. I've only done this a couple of times, and both times I ported my number and activated at the same time online. If you activate now, don't they issue you a TF phone number? Are you still allowed to port your old number online at a later date? I've heard some horror stories where tracfone customer service lost some people's long-standing numbers and they couldn't get them back.

ST Dog

tfuser19
September 26, 2013, 6:18 pm
The shield from HSN.com looks exactly like this:
Posted Image
Rubberized for better grip?

How thick? How much bulkier do it make the phone?

How muck of a pain to get it on/off for access to the battery?

Good access for charging/USB, head phones, SD Card, etc?

ST Dog

I'm liking this better than the HSN supplied one. I've wanted one from my S390G for a while, but no luck finding one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310701353254

Posted Image

muddy211

@tfuser19....I'm a little confused? If you have a card for 400mins and TMFL phone that turns into 1200 mins? The mins on your existing TF could be DMFL or TMFL which that person already has the mins on their phone? So my S390 had 170 mins left which TF transferred over to triple 170 plus the card from HSN...Let me know if I'm saying that right? LOL

@tfuser19, STDog...nice looking cases, I also found a bunch on Amazon. :)

Louise29

I ordered this one from Amazon. I haven't received my phone yet, but it looks like the holes are all in the right place. It has a silicon cover with a hard plastic skeleton wrapped around it. The belt clip sits on hard plastic as well and covers the face of the phone.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Centura-Discover-Holster-ApexGears&keywords=cases+for+Samsung

tracuser

tfuser19
September 26, 2013, 3:32 pm
To anyone just opening their phone, before you activate or connect it to WiFi, please
Menu button(bottom left)->System settings->About phone (all the way at the bottom) and tell me what Android version it came with. Mine says 4.0.4 and I'm not sure if it got updated or if that's the original. Thanks!
Just got mine! It is indeed 4.0.4 straight out of the box.

How did the 600 min card come for you? I can't find a 600min 'card' in the box...

muddy211

I didn't mean literally a card like I just bought it...LOL :D

tracuser

tracuser
September 26, 2013, 6:46 pm
tfuser19
September 26, 2013, 3:32 pm
Just got mine! It is indeed 4.0.4 straight out of the box.

How did the 600 min card come for you? I can't find a 600min 'card' in the box...
NVM, on the order slip is an 'airtime pin'

I put the case on and now I can't get it off - lol.

tfuser19

@tracuser,
I had a problem getting the case off too. I used an old credit card to get between the two halves from the bottom of the phone near the microUSB connector, then worked my way around the corners slowly. Then the back cover was a challenge to remove also, as there is no slot on the battery cover to insert a microSD card.

So people, plan to insert your microSD card before you put the battery cover and case on ;) .

tfuser19

There is a tiny microphone speaker hole near the microUSB connector. To those of you buying cases/covers, make sure your the microphone hole does not covered by case; otherwise people won't hear you properly.

I bought a crappy case for my LG840G that came with the hole way off, so the case material covered the hole ... it was no fun modify it with a Xacto knife.

tfuser19

@ST Dog,
I like that case you posted, but I think it would be too clunky for me when the phone is removed out of the holster.
Thickness of S738C w and w/o HSN cover: 16.7mm / 12.5mm
Width w and w/o HSN cover: 65.8mm / 61.4mm
so about 4.3mm or 1/4" difference with cover.

tfuser19

If anyone here transfers pre-Android phone minutes to the S738C, please let us know how much you had on your own phone and what that became on your new phone.

Joeb84

Just got my Galaxy Centura today. I love, love, love it. Activation on line was very fast, once Tracfone's page came back online. It was closed down for maintenance. I guess all us Centura people were trying to activate their phone at once. LOL I got my 600 minutes also. The phone is really nice. The screen is bright and responsive. The case is nice. I got the paisley. I really love the voice command feature. I have that on my android tablet as well. It's really great for us ladies with long nails, trying to type on that tiny keyboard. The camera is quite nice and takes pretty clear photos, even indoors with low light. The video is nice also. Played a Youtube video and it was very smooth. The internet also loads up very quickly and navigating is quick and responsive. . Texting is really fast and it shows your conversation just like when I text from my Ipad to my daughters Iphone. Made 4 texts to her and used up 8 mins. of text. I guess it's 1 to send and 1 to receive. The only problem I am having is with the $25 google card. I didn't put in the date when I was signing up and now it says it has expired. I will try again later or call HSN. I'm still playing with it, but so far I really love this phone.

ST Dog

tfuser19
September 26, 2013, 9:12 pm
@ST Dog,
I like that case you posted, but I think it would be too clunky for me when the phone is removed out of the holster.
I think you meant the one Louise29 linked. The one I linked isn't any more that the one from HSN on the phone.

Not liking how hard it appears to be to get the SD card out.
I pull mine often for the card reader as it's easier/faster on the S390G than finding the USB cable or getting BT going on the phone and computer.

Tech
Member Avatar

Joeb84
September 26, 2013, 9:44 pm
The video is nice also. Played a Youtube video and it was very smooth.
Try this video on it. Check out your colors and sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5-0t0pTF0

720p

Joeb84

I also forgot to mention when I transferred my existing minutes from my lg800, which were 110, I did receive a 110 each for talk, text and data. Then I added the extra 600. The phone quality is also very good on this phone. I called my landline phone and my husband said I sounded very clear. He did as well. My daughter said the same. Also, after I finished texting, I received a message from Tracfone stating how many minutes of text time I had left.

tfuser19

Joeb84,
So you transferred 110 minutes and got 110/110/110 on the S738C initially, correct? Did you do it via Tracfone website or speak to a CSR?

Joeb84

Tech I played the youtube video "monsters of the cosmos". It played great. Colors were very vivid, video was very smooth and I was very impressed with the sound quality. Cool video by the way. :D

Joeb84

You are correct. I did it on the website when I activated the phone. It was a very smooth process. Did you have the same experience?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.