Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: ... Other than your cell phone, what other portable WiFi/multimedia type devices do you own?
Apple iPad
Android Tablet
Apple iPod Touch
Samsung Galaxy Player
Other / None
Poll Maker
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) LG 840g Phone Topic
Topic Started: September 24, 2012, 12:41 am (180,347 Views)
Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts, or questions on this phone, please post it all here ... thanks.

* Tracfone LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?
* Net10 LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a few 840g questions maybe some of your clever folks can answer for these members - thanks.
laine
01/08/13
Tracfone LG 840g - how to undelete shortcut?
I accidently deleted the camera icon on the shortcut list, is there anyway to recover it?
Also, I am now not able to add a picture id to a contact? ..... Any suggestions?
aferrick
01/09/13
MP3 function LG 840g? - can't get computer to recognize device?
My LG 840g did not come with a usb cable. I have a generic one that seems to fit, but when I tried it in
my computer the device was not recognized and I couldn't transfer my playlist... Tracfone was no help.
Do I need a special cable, and where can I get it?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DoctorM
Member Avatar

laine
01/08/13
Tracfone LG 840g - how to undelete shortcut?
I accidently deleted the camera icon on the shortcut list, is there anyway to recover it?
Also, I am now not able to add a picture id to a contact? ..... Any suggestions?
aferrick
01/09/13
MP3 function LG 840g? - can't get computer to recognize device?
My LG 840g did not come with a usb cable. I have a generic one that seems to fit, but when I tried it in
my computer the device was not recognized and I couldn't transfer my playlist... Tracfone was no help.
Do I need a special cable, and where can I get it?
@ laine
Don't worry -- it is still in the phone, just not on the Shortcut screen.
Tap the little bumpy wheel icon at the bottom right of the shortcut screen, then tap ADD.
That beings up a tray which contains all the shortcuts - tap the shortcut in the tray that you want to appear on
the shortcut screen. Then tap the bumpy wheel icon to lock the shortcut screen again. To see more shortcuts
in the tray, just slide your finger sideways on the tray.
Note: if you already have nine shortcuts (the max), you'll have to delete one first before you can add one.

@ aferrick
You very likely have a charging cable (which has the data pin disabled.) You will need to get a full-function
USB to microUSB (type B) cable, which will look just like the cable you have. You can get one pretty cheap
on Amazon.com or ebay.com. The ones in stores tend to be expensive.

tfuser19

aferrick,
If you have a Nook or Kindle cable, it would would work with your phone too.

DoctorM,
"little bumpy wheel icon" = gear icon = settings icon if you're look for different terms to use. ;)

DoctorM
Member Avatar

tfuser19
January 10, 2013, 9:10 pm
aferrick,
If you have a Nook or Kindle cable, it would would work with your phone too.

DoctorM,
"little bumpy wheel icon" = gear icon = settings icon if you're look for different terms to use. ;)
Or maybe a "flower" :D
But I agree, it is the same icon as the "settings" icon in the camera.

Tech
Member Avatar

You know, if you follow Docs instructions but then choose "add multiple" you can then simply select "settings" to
add and have the entire sprocket icon itself on your home screen. I don't know if everyone knows that or not, but
if not, then now you do.

laine

DoctorM,
Thank you so much!! .. It worked.... now how about the picture id for contacts, how do I get that again??????
Not too smart with this yet.

I have tried everything I can think of to add pictures to contacts. The only one I can do that to is "my info".... HELP!!!

watsonk

laine
January 12, 2013, 12:15 pm
DoctorM,
Thank you so much!! .. It worked.... now how about the picture id for contacts, how do I get that again??????

I have tried everything I can think of to add pictures to contacts. The only one I can do that to is "my info".... HELP!!!
1) Take a picture of the person and save it in the phone (or have an existing picture in the phone)
2) Open Address Book (2nd icon from the left, at the bottom of the phone).
3) "Add New" or stroll down to find the contact and select "Edit"
4) Click on the first line (with the picture icon) and select "Edit"
5) Choose a photo
6) Select "Pictures"
7) A square box will appear inside the photo.
8) Zoom in and out of the box to enlarge or reduce the photo.
9) Move the box around the photo to center the photo.
10) Click "Set"
11) Click "Save"

Once it is set, you will longer need the original photo. The original photo can be deleted if you wish.

I assigned the same home phone number to all my kids and my wife. The photo of the last entry will
always show up when any of my kids or my wife call me from home... It confuses me.

laine

watsonk
January 12, 2013, 1:32 pm
laine
DoctorM,

1) Take a picture of the person and save it in the phone (or have an existing picture in the phone)
5) Choose a photo
6) Select "Pictures"
10) Click "Set"
11) Click "Save"

Once it is set, you will longer need the original photo. The original photo can be deleted if you wish.

I assigned the same home phone number to all my kids and my wife. The photo of the last entry will
always show up when any of my kids or my wife call me from home... It confuses me.
Thank you, but it didn't work. I get nothing that shows where to put a picture, no icon. If I go to a picture and click
add as picture id, it still won't work... Something is wrong somewhere or I'm more stupid than I think I am. LOL

laine

laine
January 12, 2013, 2:46 pm
watsonk
January 12, 2013, 1:32 pm
laine
DoctorM,

5) Choose a photo
6) Select "Pictures"
10) Click "Set"
11) Click "Save"

Thank you, but it didn't work. I get nothing that shows where to put a picture, no icon. If I go to a picture and click
add as picture id, it still won't work... Something is wrong somewhere or I'm more stupid than I think I am. LOL
Well, I finally figured it out.. took me long enough. I have to end up deleting the contact info and start from scratch,
then I can put in photo id... Whew! Thanks.

tfuser19

@DoctorM,
I like "flower" .. and @Tech's "sprocket" too ! ;)

@Anyone here using the LG 840G email app to read @yahoo.com email using IMAP4 for the incoming mail server?

* This phone about drove me nuts over the last two days.
* I configured the email app for my @yahoo.com email account and was able to retrieve and read emails.
* However every time I'd click the last back key to before exiting the email app, it would reboot the phone. Talk about maddening!
* The only way I could figure to delete my @yahoo.com account from the phone was to change my email password via the PC.
* Then when the phone tried to download my email, it would fail because of the password mismatch, and put me into the menu where I could change my email account settings.
* As soon as I changed the incoming server type from IMAP4 to POP3, the rebooting madness stopped and I was able to delete the account from the phone.
* Deleted because I cannot retrieve my @yahoo.com email using a POP server, it must by IMAP.
* I'm unimpressed with the crap email app on this phone based on this above experience - since there's no way I can check my email using the app. It's as if they never tested it with IMAP or something. :-/
* Now who's going to tell me they can read their @yahoo.com email with IMAP just fine? :'(

DoctorM
Member Avatar

tfuser19
I just tried my yahoo.com email (which is an old account I seldom use anymore) from my 840G, and I couldn't access
it. So I went to the PC and I couldn't access it directly there either -- Got a message "We don't recognize your device,"
or something like that. I had to answer a couple of security questions before I could get access on my PC...
Then I looked at the inbox -- more than a thousand unwanted messages. I decided that's not an account I ever want
to link to my phone -- as is anyway.

But while I was trying to access the email account on my PC, I got a Yahoo message inviting me to link my cellphone
to the account... I didn't do it, but the invite caused me to think that maybe you have to link your cell phone number to
the Yahoo account first before Yahoo is going to allow connection.

I don't know if any of that helps you, but right now, until I've solved the unwanted email issues, I'm not going to link any
of my email accounts to the phone.

tfuser19

DoctorM,
Thanks for trying.

You could delete or move those emails to a folder if that helps.

Since I was able to retrieve my yahoo email with the 840, yahoo invitation is not the issue here.

RoamingGnome

I have one LG 840g with all the contacts in the phone. That is the wife's phone that she has set up with all the
details. Now I have been trying to figure out how to get that contact database over to my 840g, but am having
issues finding a way to do so.

Tried software found on web; Phone Manager for LG and LG Phone Suite, and those didn't work. Probably
outdated. Tried Bluetooth from her phone, and that didn't seem to go right... Plus, I think that I would need a
bluetooth dongle on the computer, for which I don't. I do have a BT headset for each phone; (Plantronics 390).
I may not understand how a earbud (BT) can communicate with a pc or from one headset to another; so maybe
that is my issue on trying BT usage.

I have looked on the phone's file system via a usb cable, but don't see anything that stands out as a contact
database; however, there is a SDCARD_?????? set of files on the card, so maybe that is it...
My next test, after I get back from seeing The Hobbit today, will be to copy her sdcard_CDM_SD_NR.vol and
sdcard_CDM_SD_NR.vol.log files over to my phone to see if that is the database.

Can anyone confirm if those are the database files and only those 2 are needed? I think only those 2 files; as
the other file in that series shows a date of 01/01/2010; and the first 2 have 12/22/12 as the date... That could
have been when she updated her phone contacts, but it seems odd she didn't have to edit anyone since then.
The other set of 3 sdcard_META??? type files all have a date of 01/01/2010; so I imagine my phone my have
those same files; but have not checked.

Is there a simple way that I am just not understanding on how to transfer the contact database from an LG 840G
phone; to another LG 840G phone? The wife and I know the same people. :-)

Thank you,

Tim

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ RoamingGnome
It is relatively easy to send data including contacts by Bluetooth, though the first time through may seem convoluted. --

FIRST -- You have to pair the two phones

1. Name your devices first, so you can tell your phone from your wife's, or any body else's...
[::] > Bluetooth > My Bluetooth> My Device Name > (suggestion - Tim's LG840G)

Do the same for your wife's phone, giving her a different name.

2. Turn Bluetooth on for both phones. put one in discovery mode [::] > Bluetooth > My Bluetooth Info > My Device Visibility > (A screen may com up -- "Turn On Bluetooth" - tap YES >

3. From one phone, search for the other phone [::] > Blurtooth > Search New Device. The other phone should come up -- select it.

SECOND -- now you can share and transfer data between phones...

1. To send contacts - Contacts > (Tap the option icon at the top right) > Send Contact Info > Bluetooth > Select All > Send > (Send selected contacts via Bluetooth?) Yes > Paired Devices (select the other phone from the list) > (the other phone my ask you if you want to receive the data) If so, yes.

SoranoGuardias

I picked this phone up before Christmas. It is rather handy.

However, I seem to have trouble with transferring my music to the 32GB card I purchased for it. It never fails that
when I get to certain point in the file transfer that the phone severs the USB link between itself and the computer
but the phone music player will still read the contents of the card. I can take the card out of the phone and transfer
the files through the onboard card reader, but when the phone reloads the card the music player always shows
corrupted database or reboots the phone. In addition, any more files added to the card are corrupted.

For reference, I have approximately 800 files in 4 GB that I am wanting to add to the mmc1/Music directory.

Steps taken to resolve matter:

:::::reformatted card to exFAT - phone did not recognize card.
:::::Changed sector allocation size - no effect
:::::Transferred files in reverse order - no effect.
:::::reformatted card using SD Formatter - no effect
:::::reformatted card using phone - more stable, still cuts link.
:::::Bluetooth transfer - no effect.
:::::Deleted/Rebuilt database - phone crashes

Steps that will be taken:

:::::Shrink card partition by 5 GB.
:::::Return to seller.

Has anyone had these problems and can help?

Tusks

I got one of these yesterday. Mainly for the TMFL and 3G signal... It's a nice phone all things considered. Has an
MP3 player, alarm, notes, calendar, all that good stuff. Really the basics that a person needs. Dropping my $100
a month Verizon contract and giving my S3 to the wife. I'll save something like $80 a month. I've got an iPad Mini
for my web browsing and games.

Tech
Member Avatar

SoranoGuardias
January 15, 2013, 2:19 am

However, I seem to have trouble with transferring my music to the 32GB card I purchased for it. It never fails that
when I get to certain point in the file transfer that the phone severs the USB link between itself and the computer
but the phone music player will still read the contents of the card. I can take the card out of the phone and transfer
the files through the onboard card reader, but when the phone reloads the card the music player always shows
corrupted database or reboots the phone. In addition, any more files added to the card are corrupted.

For reference, I have approximately 800 files in 4 GB that I am wanting to add to the mmc1/Music directory.

That's weird.

Do you have your computer set to display protected operating system files?... If so, then disable that through
control panel/folder options and try to transfer again. Perhaps even before you do that maybe check the card
for errors and defragment it. Right click the card drive, select properties and then tools and go from there.

Also, what format are your music files in?

One more thing that took me a while to figure out when I couldn't use a 32gb card was that i was using the adapter
for a 16gb card that mistakenly got mixed up. Once I figured out what was happening, I had no issues. Of course, if
that were the case for you then it wouldn't even read it so maybe disregard that particular advice here .

I wouldn't mess around with trying to shrink the partition. Best to maybe just fix it as if it were out of the package.

Maybe try to only transfer a gb or so at a time. The device ain't the quickest...thinker. Could be freezing up if it cannot
process or read the data as fast as it's written in such a large quantity.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Tech
January 15, 2013, 3:56 am
SoranoGuardias
January 15, 2013, 2:19 am

That's weird.

Do you have your computer set to display protected operating system files?... If so, then disable that through
control panel/folder options and try to transfer again. Perhaps even before you do that maybe check the card
for errors and defragment it. Right click the card drive, select properties and then tools and go from there.

Also, what format are your music files in?

One more thing that took me a while to figure out when I couldn't use a 32gb card was that i was using the adapter
for a 16gb card that mistakenly got mixed up. Once I figured out what was happening, I had no issues. Of course, if
that were the case for you then it wouldn't even read it so maybe disregard that particular advice here .

I wouldn't mess around with trying to shrink the partition. Best to maybe just fix it as if it were out of the package.

Maybe try to only transfer a gb or so at a time. The device ain't the quickest...thinker. Could be freezing up if it cannot
process or read the data as fast as it's written in such a large quantity.
I had similar issues with a 32GB microSD card - with only about 400 songs -- last 100 songs would be corrupted or
would not transfer. I tried a lot of different things, and finally decided it was the 32GB microSD card... I had a spare
16GB card, which when installed, had no further problems.

I do not know for sure whether the 32GB microSD card was (is) defective, or whether the phone has issues with the
32GB size.

Before you quit trying, take the battery out of the phone, then put it back in and try one more time... Sometimes that
works to reset the phone when it is stuck on some routine. If that doesn't work, try a 16GB microSD card. That is still
one hell of a lot of storage you are never likely to exceed.

SoranoGuardias

I imagine it is because of the format then. 32GB is the extreme end of the FAT32 file system. If this phone would take
NTFS or exFAT there would be no problem. And the reason I have 32 GB is because I have a lot of TV episodes and
movies I want to transfer... Even though I have to downscale to 320x180/240, the phone is still able to handle high
bitrate movies. I've had up to 1.5 MB running so far.

Charles Brown

tfuser19
January 9, 2013, 9:53 pm
According to the LG 840G tutorial, I should see the contact's name at the top of the message body when
I open a text message (assuming the sender is in my contact list).

http://img.deviceanywhere.com//tracfone/pub/73030/medium/graphs/37784422106884808.jpg

I just see their mobile number in the "From: " line ....... is that consistent with what you guys are seeing?
Regarding the above thought, I have arrived at the conclusion that, when a text is received, the phone will only
show you the telephone number and will not show you the contact that is associated with that number, assuming
there is one.

Is that accurate? ..... Given that such an association would be simple, is that an intentional omission by Tracfone?

Love the phone, by the way - this is just one minor complaint. When a text comes in, the first thing I want to know is,
"who is it?" It's not about dumping unwanted texts - I don't have that problem... It's just about knowing who's texting.

SoranoGuardias

Yeah... Mine does the same thing.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ SoranoGuardias, @ Charles Brown
It would be interesting to here from someone using a cell phone outside of TracFone, to verify this, but my
understanding is that this is the procedure under all carriers -- that you do not have the opportunity to see
who the sender is -- so you have to "buy" the message to see if you want it or not.

Anybody have any different experience with other carriers?

By the way, TracFone is not an actual carrier, so they may not have much to say about what is displayed -
- for example - if AT&T is going to charge TracFone for sending a message, whether you accept it or not,
TracFone isn't going to give you much of an opportunity to reject it.

Maybe we should all be writing our representatives in Congress demanding an identifier on text messages.

Charles Brown

Well - I guess as long as it's not specifically my phone or me, then I can be less frustrated by it. But boy, how silly!
Particularly given that the phone is displaying the number, so it already has the information it needs to display the
texter contact info.!

Thanks.

tfuser19

- You get a new text, and the New Message pops up, but you cannot tell by name or number who it's from.
You can either press View or Ignore.

a) Ignore: the messages sits unopened in your Inbox, and you still cannot tell who it's from unless you open it.
Your phone is not charged any units. You can delete the message from the unknown sender, and still not get
charged any units... Understandably, Tracfone is in the business to make $$$, so if they showed us who the
messages is from, people would be more likely to delete messages and not be charged units $$$.

b) View: The message opens, but the major unexpected annoyance here is that the sender's name is not displayed
in the "From:" line at the top of the message, even if that number is in the contact list - so I may still not know who it's
from if I don't recognize the number and cannot tell from the text context. "From: +1<10-digit cell #>" is shown. Only
when you close the message, then the senders name is shown in the Inbox summary, and only if their number is in
the contact list. This is unlike other Tracfones that I've used, which will show the name corresponding to the number
in the contact book when viewing the body of the text message.

So I have to open a text, then close it to see the person's name. :(

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ tfuser19
Maybe its fallout from the patent wars -- somebody had managed to secure a patent from our somewhat demented
patent office that mentioned displaying the message originator, and now wants and exorbitant fee from users, so
manufacturer's like LG, are dropping the feature.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

@DoctorM

I recently deactivated a 9-year-old LG cell phone that used the Verizon Network. Text messages from phone to
phone only would show the first line of the text. . .There was no way to identify the sender without opening and
reading the message.

However, as I recall, there was a subject heading when the text was sent from computer to phone.

ShadowDancer :)

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
January 15, 2013, 1:24 pm
Maybe we should all be writing our representatives in Congress demanding an identifier on text messages.
Jiminy Crickets, Doc... You're starting to sound like me. :D

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
January 15, 2013, 3:46 pm
@ tfuser19
Maybe its fallout from the patent wars -- somebody had managed to secure a patent from our somewhat demented
patent office that mentioned displaying the message originator, and now wants and exorbitant fee from users, so
manufacturer's like LG, are dropping the feature.
Makes one wonder if there is anyone actually speaking for science itself these days. This whole notion that patent
holders get to disrupt the science of the matter by hijacking it and rescribbling the terms of controversy to premise
upon corporate interests and spinning it into such language as "It's a patent issue" baffles me to no end.

Am reminded that Carl Sagan once said very eloquently, that if you wish to make an apple pie from scratch then you
must first invent
the Universe. Interestingly enough I don't see any of these "patent" holders as the lein holders of the
physics of the universe.

But there I go again.

IP is really one of my pet peeves. I think that instead of producing consumers that are the very supply for this hijacking
of the sciences through the patent office we need to produce more scientists who would defend the very field of study
from these corporate vampires who tend to patent it and lock it away from practical development into infrastructure...
Sorry. :$

Here you go, Doc. You may appreciate this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK0Y9j_CGgM

watsonk

SoranoGuardias
January 15, 2013, 10:48 am
I imagine it is because of the format then. 32GB is the extreme end of the FAT32 file system. If this phone would take
NTFS or exFAT there would be no problem. And the reason I have 32 GB is because I have a lot of TV episodes and
movies I want to transfer... Even though I have to downscale to 320x180/240, the phone is still able to handle high
bitrate movies. I've had up to 1.5 MB running so far.
I have no issue with my 32 GB SDHC card so far. I am using 6.4 GB of storage space.

Since the Music Player supports up to 2,000 songs, the rest of the space will be used for photo and video files.

The Video Player does not have an index like the Music Player. Once the phone has a lot of video files, its weakness
becomes apparent. I have to spend a lot of time scrolling from A to Z to find video titles.

Sprocketman

I carry my LG 840g turned off. Just don't want the radiation, don't use it much and don't have to recharge.

When I get a text message, the phone turns itself on. Happened today for a spam text.

Does anybody know how to stop that?.. It's annoying, and means the phone is still communicating with cell towers
even when I have it turned off. Most of you probably carry your phone turned on and have not had to deal with that.

Found a silicon rubber case that works well after minor surgery with a paper punch to clear the camera lens, ear
speaker hole and earplug jack... The dimensions of the Sony Xperia X8 phone match the 840g reasonably well.
Got it here.

Still looking for an app to read files, including .doc and .pdf files.

Looking for a way to have a browser on the phone read html files on the phone.

Looking for a way to partition a 32 gig MicroSD card so the phone will ignore one partition but I can put it in a pc
or laptop and read it.

Thanks to all who are posting solutions here.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ Sprocketman

I turned my old LG 800G off when I ported over to the 840G, and was surprised when the alarm went off.
They do wake themselves up for certain functions, which means they are more in a sleep mode then really off.

The LG 840G in particular seems to have excellent battery management, going several days before indicating a
charge is required -- so I never turn it off... I also keep a car charger in my vehicle, so a charger is always handy
when I do need it, wherever I am.

lgg1943

I have been trying to install google maps 2.3.2 on my LG 840g . I've downloaded it to my desktop, to the phone
using the browser both 3g and wifi from getjar and several other sites with the same result. when I launch the app
it comes up on the phone, gets to "Terms and Conditions", the midlet pops up several times and I hit continue...
After three or four times it tells me "serious error"...... Can anyone help?

tfuser19

DoctorM
January 16, 2013, 7:19 am
@ Sprocketman

I turned my old LG 800G off when I ported over to the 840G, and was surprised when the alarm went off.
They do wake themselves up for certain functions, which means they are more in a sleep mode then really off.
@DoctorM,

It's very impressive that they designed the LG 800G to turn on for an alarm. I wonder if the LG840G and my S390G
will do that, I'll have to try.

Re: From: line of text email not showing sender's name: I saw it display a sender's name for the first time last night.
I have no clue why it displayed that person's name, but won't display other sender's name that are in the contact list.

Re: My phone rebooting when I configured the email app for IMAP4 to check yahoo email, I redid the email account
setup on the phone with PUSH: ON and Access Point: WLAN, then the reboot problem went away. With PUSH, email
gets sent to your phone by the server, you don't (and cannot) have to hit Update to check for new mail. If Access Point
is set to "Tracfone WAP", that will use the cell network and consume minutes to check email...
Access Point: WLAN uses only WiFi, so no minutes are lost, but you cannot use email when WiFi is not available.

Tech
Member Avatar

lgg1943
January 16, 2013, 1:23 pm
I have been trying to install google maps 2.3.2 on my LG 840g . I've downloaded it to my desktop, to the phone
using the browser both 3g and wifi from getjar and several other sites with the same result. when I launch the app
it comes up on the phone, gets to "Terms and Conditions", the midlet pops up several times and I hit continue...
Well..."Serious Error" doesn't sound like the kind of language that would be written into a legitimate piece of
software in my opinion. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Tracfone said that this device was app compatible but failed to acknowledge that there were no legitimate or
practical and productive apps built by anyone and offered from reputable sources.

As such, we have a lot of bad stuff out in the wild running loose and people have had to resort to using these
apps because of the spin they were sold on. Actually, they don't have to, they choose to do that but obviously
they seem to be left with very little choice considering that there really aren't any apps for the device.

I guess you could install a childs game or something but what good are those exactly/ Heck, the large majority
of those are junk too and many of them raid your data and phone home to the author for whatever reason. Use
your imagination there.

I'm not saying that the app you're talking about is rogue but I certainly wouldn't rule that out.

Folks, be careful with downloading things. And shame on you, Tracfone, for tinkering with people like that.

Tech
Member Avatar

tfuser19
January 16, 2013, 1:26 pm
DoctorM
@ Sprocketman
@DoctorM,
It's very impressive that they designed the LG 800G to turn on for an alarm. I wonder if the LG840G and my S390G
will do that, I'll have to try.

Re: From: line of text email not showing sender's name: I saw it display a sender's name for the first time last night.
I have no clue why it displayed that person's name, but won't display other sender's name that are in the contact list.

Re: My phone rebooting when I configured the email app for IMAP4 to check yahoo email, I redid the email account
setup on the phone with PUSH: ON and Access Point: WLAN, then the reboot problem went away. With PUSH, email
gets sent to your phone by the server, you don't (and cannot) have to hit Update to check for new mail. If Access Point
is set to "Tracfone WAP", that will use the cell network and consume minutes to check email...
Access Point: WLAN uses only WiFi, so no minutes are lost, but you cannot use email when WiFi is not available.
I just tried the alarm thing with my lg 840g. It didn't turn the phone on. Actually, I'm glad. There is already enough
backdoor stuff going on with the browser and messaging in my opinion. The last thing I find acceptable is for it to
have control to open up the door whenever it pleases. I don't find that to be impressive nor a useful feature...
Just my opinion.

tfuser19

lgg1943
Don't worry, its not your phone.

Google has apparently removed the source where the T&C get loaded to the phone, which cause the install process
to fail. If the app is not already installed on the phone, it cannot be now due to this - what a bummer. :(

tfuser19

DoctorM
...I turned my old LG 800G off when I ported over to the 840G, and was surprised when the alarm went off.
The Samsung s390g will turn on for an alarm if it is configured to do so. It can be configured not to power up for alarms.
The slacker lazy LG 840G ;) won't turn on for an alarm, and does not appear to be configurable to do so.

lukepete

tfuser19
This issue with the name not showing up most of the time, but every once in awhile, it does, seems to be related
to the length of the contact name.. When I receive a text from a contact of which my full entered name for them is
short (like "Roy" vs. "Roy Washington"), the name appears... Otherwise, only the number appears above the text.

tfuser19

lukepete
January 17, 2013, 1:04 pm
tfuser19
This issue with the name not showing up most of the time, but every once in awhile, it does, seems to be related
to the length of the contact name.. When I receive a text from a contact of which my full entered name for them is
short (like "Roy" vs. "Roy Washington"), the name appears... Otherwise, only the number appears above the text.
@lukepete,

Thanks for posting this. That was on my suspect list, but I have not confirmed it yet. I noticed the name was
shown when the sender's first/last name was 5/2 characters... Now I'll have to see what the limits are. :)

tfuser19

tfuser19
January 17, 2013, 3:36 pm
lukepete
January 17, 2013, 1:04 pm
tfuser19
@lukepete,

Thanks for posting this. That was on my suspect list, but I have not confirmed it yet. I noticed the name was
shown when the sender's first/last name was 5/2 characters... Now I'll have to see what the limits are. :)
If the sum of the characters in the first name and last name of a contact exceed nine characters, then the "From:"
line of the text message body will show "+1<sender's 10-digit phone number>" instead of their name.

Someone needs to be fired for this stupid limiting of 1st name+last name to nine characters. :-/

The LG 800G and Samsung S390G can handle that without any issues.

Tech
Member Avatar

Here is a rather large list of free e-books in the form of jar files are here if anyone is interested.
I tested a couple of them out. Works...

You don't need a pdf reader to read these since they open directly from the jar as a text.
So essentially you install the actual book itself as an app. There are literally thousands of books available for free.

http://www.booksinmyphone.com/?list=FAQ

efm0

LG 840G cases ?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l2632.R3&_nkw=lg840g&_sacat=9394&_from=R40

RoamingGnome

DoctorM
January 13, 2013, 7:07 pm
@ RoamingGnome
It is relatively easy to send data including contacts by Bluetooth, though the first time through may seem convoluted.
Thank you for the detailed reply on how to transfer contacts; worked like a charm!

Tim

pvrbulls
Member Avatar

Anyone having battery problems?

I got my LG 840g from HSN right after Thanksgiving. I just carry the phone for emergency use. Started out with a
little over 1400 minutes and still have 1366! Until this last week, I had to charge it every other day. Now it will only
make it about 9 hours before it completely shuts down. It charges fairly quickly and shows to be fully charged, but
it will completely discharge in 9 hours without making or receiving a single call or text message... in other words,
with absolutely zero use!

Any thoughts as to what might be the problem? All I can think of is a bad battery since everything else is working okay,
as far as I know... If that is the case, I wonder if it is just my tough luck, or would it be covered by TracFone or LG?

Thanks

Sprocketman

Home Shopping Network has the LG 840g on sale for $99.

HSN LG 840g link

DoctorM
Member Avatar

pvrbulls
January 20, 2013, 12:31 am
Anyone having battery problems?

I got my LG 840g from HSN right after Thanksgiving. I just carry the phone for emergency use. Started out with a
little over 1400 minutes and still have 1366! Until this last week, I had to charge it every other day. Now it will only
make it about 9 hours before it completely shuts down. It charges fairly quickly and shows to be fully charged, but
it will completely discharge in 9 hours without making or receiving a single call or text message... in other words,
with absolutely zero use!

Any thoughts as to what might be the problem? All I can think of is a bad battery since everything else is working okay,
as far as I know... If that is the case, I wonder if it is just my tough luck, or would it be covered by TracFone or LG?

Thanks
I haven't had any battery problems -- in fact my phone appears to have excellent battery management.

But here are some things to check --

1. Try taking the battery out of the phone, then re-installing it. This solves a lot of phone problems, especially if the
software somehow hung up on a loop.

2. Make sure your Bluetooth and wireless switches are off. And hit the center button to return to the main screen --
that usually turns off whatever you were doing, such as playing music. Just because the screen is blank doesn't
mean nothing is running.

3. Before you buy a new battery, call TracFone -- they will very likely send you a new battery. If you decide to buy
a battery on your own, search on the battery number (BL-40MN, 1000 mah) as there won't be much (if anything) on
the phone model. Looks to be about a $12 battery on Amazon.com or eBay.

4. If you still have problems after replacing the battery, call TracFone's Miami office (800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883)
and ask for a replacement phone.

Keep us posted on your results.

pvrbulls
Member Avatar

DoctorM
January 20, 2013, 1:32 am
I haven't had any battery problems -- in fact my phone appears to have excellent battery management.

1. Try taking the battery out of the phone, then re-installing it. This solves a lot of phone problems, especially if the

2. Make sure your Bluetooth and wireless switches are off. And hit the center button to return to the main screen --
that usually turns off whatever you were doing, such as playing music. Just because the screen is blank doesn't
mean nothing is running.

3. Before you buy a new battery, call TracFone -- they will very likely send you a new battery. If you decide to buy
a battery on your own, search on the battery number (BL-40MN, 1000 mah) as there won't be much (if anything) on

4. If you still have problems after replacing the battery, call TracFone's Miami office (800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883)

Thanks for all the suggestions... I will give them a try and let you know what happens.

iea

First time posting on this forum...so glad I found you all. I need help as I can't make up my mind about the LG 840g.
I received the LG 840g as a Christmas gift and only have a few more days to return it to the store if I decide that route.

I had a smartphone with a local carrier under a contract and decided to try Tracfone... I purchased a LG 430g [flip]
at Walmart in February 2012 and it has been very reliable. I was curious about the LG840g and activated it, moving
my number from the flip phone to the 840. I've used it about 3 weeks now and have encountered some of the same
issues as I've seen posted on here. The battery didn't last very long at all and I was sure to turn off wifi and bluetooth
when I wasn't using them. I had two bars of battery left at bedtime with only a sliver left the next morning. Other times
the battery would get so low it would power the phone off and change the timezone which I had to charge and reboot
to correct the timezone.

My package stated that "in the box" was a charger/USB cable [NOT!] and when I called Tracfone, they said my service
guide was incorrect and the phone was only sold with a charger... if I wanted a USB cable I would have to buy it
separately and they didn't carry them. I had issues with the sound...when a call would come through, the caller and I
had problems hearing each other. I would have to move the phone to different angles to try to hear the caller and be
heard. I literally got sick of the 840g and called TracFone to send me a replacement SIM card so I could return to the
LG 430g flip phone.

That process is complete and now I found this forum. I've read others' pros & cons ... and it makes me want to try
the 840g again, but if I'm going to return it to the store I need to do so in the next day or two.

The LG 430g is just a simple flip phone.. I have to hit the numeric keys multiple times when texting versus the LG
840g and its qwerty keyboard for texting and some of the other features. Still there are some features that have to
use the numeric keypad...like calendar entry.

I am hoping someone could look at my situation and offer suggestions...I enjoy reading all the comments and thanks
in advance for any assistance.

tfuser19

@iea,

* Do you happen to have a phone cover/skin on your phone? The covers I bought were covering up the microphone
hole located next to the microUSB connector. Wondering if that's the situation with the caller not being able to hear
you, but that does not explain you not being able to hear them... Does raising the volume help?.. Have you tried the
speakerphone?

* Have not had any issues with the battery with the LG 840G in the family that I know of.

* Maybe go back the store, exchange it for another LG 840G after explaining issues to them, reactivate with new
number to test how battery and phone sound is. Then call Tracfone and have them send you another SIM if new
phone's okay and you want to transfer existing LG 430G number and minutes to the LG 840G. If second LG840G
is no good, return it too.

* Good luck and let us know how it all works out. :)

Tech
Member Avatar

I've had no issues with my battery either. Lasts for days on end without a charge needed.
Heck, I watched all 13 episodes of Cosmos on it and it didn't die. They're around an hour each too.

Try Doc's method of removing the battery and reinstalling it... This does seem to fix a lot of things.

Also, the next time you plug it into the computer delete the lgsys folder all together before unplugging.
That's a little something extra that seems to knock some sense into the thing. It will regenerate a fresh one.

iea

Having problems getting the back off... any hints?

tfuser19

iea
January 20, 2013, 6:42 pm
Get a fingernail in where the microUSB connector opening is located, then work your way around the perimeter.
It's fun getting it back on too. :)

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@iea
If You still have return rights for a full refund, that may be your best option.

If you decide to keep it, I think I'd be asking for a new phone, from wherever you bought, it or from TracFone.
But the first thing they are likely to try is a new battery.

If you return it for a full refund, you can also buy another one on HSN (today only) for $99 with 1400 minutes,
which is like getting the phone for free.

Tech
Member Avatar

Don't know that the store will replace it, Doc. They may though but I doubt it.

I'll say this much, I've been a Tracfone customer for over 10 years at the very least. Maybe more. I've had to replace
a bad phone maybe three times. I've always just called them up and they have had a new one at my front door with
in three days every time. I can't say that I've ever had a single instance of problems from CS @ Tracfone in any form
whether it be activation or whatever which is contrary to all of the many, many horror stories we read about.

Heck, I even dropped one off of a roller coaster at Hershey Park ( of which I'll never ... ever ... get on again). When I
called them, I said very honestly that I dropped my phone off a roller coaster. No questions asked. They just sent me
a new one. Bada bing.

pvrbulls
Member Avatar

DoctorM
January 20, 2013, 1:32 am

mean nothing is running.

Well, it's been 12 hours since I removed the battery and re-installed it... Instead of being completely empty, my
battery is still showing 3 bars(full). It appears that this has solved the problem. One thing that I noticed immediately
after re-installing the battery and plugging into the charger was that the large green image of the charging battery
stayed on the screen until the backlight went out. Before it had always just sorta flashed onto the screen for about 1
second, then it went dark. It will be interesting to see just how long this charge is now going to last. The most I was
able to get before it deteriorated was about 2 days. I am hoping that now it will do better, though I can live with 2 days.

Thanks, DoctorM, for your help!

Tusks

Anybody else getting bad reception with this phone? It reads No Service way too often while I'm at home... Granted,
AT&T service has never been the best here, but not THAT bad. Also, the inability to at least lower the volume of that
woodpecker sound you get while typing away at the keyboard is annoying. It's the only sound affect you cannot alter.

Tech
Member Avatar

Tusks
January 21, 2013, 2:31 am
Anybody else getting bad reception with this phone? It reads No Service way too often while I'm at home... Granted,
AT&T service has never been the best here, but not THAT bad. Also, the inability to at least lower the volume of that
woodpecker sound you get while typing away at the keyboard is annoying. It's the only sound affect you cannot alter.
I don't know about your reception. I've always had a pretty strong signal. Could be just where you are.
May as well try to take the battery out too. Won't hurt to try it.

You can turn off the keyboard sounds though. Tap the dice icon/settings/touch/tick the sound setting to off

The one that you definitely cannot change (and this is the one that really annoys me) is the voicemail tone.
I can't stand that ringtone. That's why that little ugly purple music note icon is up on top of the screen all of the time.

Apparently (as was asked here several pages back) there is a way to set up a sound theme. Looks like Tracfone
has made use of it but locked us commoners out of accessing it... The voicemail ringtone that is set by default for
the theme is not located in the list of ringtones, btw. Although it does play when you have a voicemail. So it's there.
Apparently as is a sound theme package. Just not for us to get to and change. I wouldn't mind so much if it were a
chime or chirp or something. Heck, even a beep would do.

I'm still undecided on why they would go out of their way to do such a remedial thing like that, beyond the usual
carrot and stick shenanigans with phone features. There must be a reason.

But, yes. You can turn off the keyboard noise.

tracfone2004

Tusks
I was questioning the signal strength on this phone last year. I was under the impression that I was the only one
who had the problem but there are 2 very long conversations over on another forum about this condition. Been
a tracfone user since 2004 and this is the worst phone I have owned for signal strenth, and before anyone asks,
it has an AT&T SIM. I am sure of this. In my area AT&T is very strong and stable. All my previous Tracfones were
full signal 95% of the time, and this one struggles somewhere between 2 and 3 bars. It's the phone.

My wifes LG 800G is much better in signal strength, and call sound quality. I am going to use this phone until the
next offering from Tracfone arrives with touchscreen, 3G and wifi. I do love those features. On a scale of 1 to 10, I
give this phone a luck warm 6. And good luck finding a gel case that fits.

Sprocketman

iea
Just drop it on a hard floor. The back on mine came off instantly.

That was before I found a silicone case.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

tracfone2004
January 21, 2013, 7:39 am
Tusks
I was questioning the signal strength on this phone last year. I was under the impression that I was the only one
who had the problem but there are 2 very long conversations over on another forum about this condition. Been
a tracfone user since 2004 and this is the worst phone I have owned for signal strenth, and before anyone asks,
it has an AT&T SIM. I am sure of this. In my area AT&T is very strong and stable. All my previous Tracfones were
full signal 95% of the time, and this one struggles somewhere between 2 and 3 bars. It's the phone.

My wifes LG 800G is much better in signal strength, and call sound quality. I am going to use this phone until the
next offering from Tracfone arrives with touchscreen, 3G and wifi. I do love those features. On a scale of 1 to 10, I
give this phone a luck warm 6. And good luck finding a gel case that fits.
If you are going by the bars showing for signal strength, comparing one phone to another, that's not a real signal
strength meter on the phone, as might be on an Android phone, just an indicator. So don't go by the bars showing,
they don't necessarily mean anything when compared to another phone's bars.

The real test is does it drop calls any worse than another phone on the same carrier. The only fair way to test these
type phones is by comparing two separate phones, both on the same carrier, both with you deep inside a building
(like a WalMart) and try calling on one phone to the other.

Tech
Member Avatar

I don't understand what you mean, Doc. My bars fluctuate in between 3 & 5 bars. So it is actually functional.
It's not as if it's simply an icon or static bmp or anything. It's indicating something.

I haven't had any problems with poor quality or reception though. It's always been rather clear... We have a beach
house that we go to that nobody can get a signal at. I think you have to go to one specific little spot over in the weeds
to get a signal. Not with the lg 840g though. Or any other tracfone for that matter. Always a strong signal throughout.

Tech
Member Avatar

Sprocketman
January 21, 2013, 11:07 am
iea

Once you pop it off a few times, it gets easier to get off. If you put a lot of music on it, you'll have to keep taking
the battery out and putting it back in after transfering files. otherwise, you'll not have album art applied.. Just a
bunch of static icons. That's how I know that it gets easier to take off and put back on.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Tech
January 21, 2013, 4:18 pm
Sprocketman
January 21, 2013, 11:07 am
iea

Once you pop it off a few times, it gets easier to get off. If you put a lot of music on it, you'll have to keep taking
the battery out and putting it back in after transfering files. otherwise, you'll not have album art applied.. Just a
bunch of static icons. That's how I know that it gets easier to take off and put back on.
I find it easiest to insert my fingernail on a bottom corner, and work my way up a long side.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

The LG 840G has been on special sale for $99 for a couple of days or more with TMFL and 1400 minutes on HSN.

I don't see an expiration date, so guess its until they are out of stock. probably the best deal going on this model.

http://www.hsn.com/products/lg-touchscreen-3g-wi-fi-camera-smartphone/7058877

EDIT: Opps! ... It is back to $129.95 now.

sweetiepoosmom

LG 840g Tracfone 3G Wi-Fi Touchscreen w/ 1400 Mins, & Triple Minutes.

Retail Value: $337.98

QVC Price: $132.00

Featured Price: $119.96

(and Easy Pay! 4 Installments of $29.99, plus Tax.)

Free Standard S&H

Waitlist availability only UPDATE: AVAILABLE NOW (SAME PRICE, EASY PAYMENTS AND FREE SHIPPING)

http://www.qvc.com/LG840-Tracfone-3G-Wi-Fi-Touchscreen-w-1400-Mins,-&-Triple-Minutes-Cell-Phones
Edited by sweetiepoosmom, January 25, 2013, 2:52 pm.

pvrbulls
Member Avatar

Well, here's an update regarding my battery life. After removing and re-installing the battery as per DoctorM's
suggestion, it lasted 48.5 hours before it was exhausted and beeping at me to charge it up again.
That's about what it would do before... and I guess that is all I can expect from this particular battery.

From the TracFone site:
Battery talk time up to 3.7 hours
Standby time up to 13 days

I would assume that my use would be considered "Standby time" as I have not made, or received, any calls
or text messages in the past several days. Also, I have not used the browser or anything else. I did turn it on
several times for a few seconds just to check the battery status. Bluetooth is turned off, as is WiFi. Just out of
curiosity, what do others typically experience for time between chargings? I know that usage is going to affect
it greatly, but does anyone experience times significantly greater that 48 hours?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ pvrbulls
I average a couple of days between charging, less if I am listening to music most of the night, more if I don't use
it much... I do have 6 alarms active five days a week, world time active, make a couple of calls a week, and text
messages maybe four times a week, usually leave Bluetooth on so it automatically links to my vehicle's voice -
activated call system, and check the time every few hours or so...

Tech
Member Avatar

I charge mine roughly once during the span of a full 7 day week. Even then it still has half a charge.
I don't use it for much of anything though like I did when I first got I with all of the various testing.

If you're not getting your 13 day standby time as advertised you should just contact them and ask for a
replacement battery... They'll replace it.

iea

After reading the post #853 from Doctor M, I decided to return the phone to Best Buy...
I don't think I had a very good unit. When I unpacked the phone, I charged it overnight before first use, Then the next morning (maybe 7:00 a.m.) I checked out all it would do. I went through all the screens, checked out the apps, used bluetooth to bring over all my contacts from my LG430g and tested the wifi to see if I could get it to work. (It did.) I kept bluetooth and wifi turned off when not in use. I left it in standby mode for the day and probably made/received a call or two. My battery was beeping to get another charge before 9:00 p.m. that evening!

My husband said maybe I should take it back to the store; probably had a defective battery. Instead I called Customer Service because I had other issues. The Service Guide booklet that was included with my phone advertised the charger included was a USB/data cable. The one in my package was just a plain jane charger and I wanted one that was advertised to me. The customer service rep said they didn't come with a USB/Data cable - If I wanted one I'd have to purchase separately...from where ... he had no idea. I told him about how the battery had not even held charge for a full day. He said, it was because the phone was bigger, the buttons and the apps on the phone used more power and the battery would not last as long. I reminded him the service guide had advertised 13 days standby time --
I never tried the music player, camera, or video camera.

I complained that when I made/ received a call, the caller could not hear me nor could I hear the caller very well. He had no suggestions - only said "I'm sorry, Maam."
[I did not have any type of cover or screen protector on the phone.] The caller sounded very faint...like they were very far away...even though I had the volume up as high as it would go in call. I had the phone pressed into my ear and could barely hear the caller. My callers said they couldn't hear me, that I kept fading out so I kept moving/changing positions for better reception. [..like the commercial "Can you hear me now?"]

I brought all these issues to customer service attention before asking if I decided to go back to my older phone could I transfer my number back. He said yes. I discussed it with my husband, thought about it a couple of days, and finally called to get a replacement SIM (AT&T, btw) to move my number back. Meanwhile, I had to continue to charge daily! I replaced the SIM card and tried to complete the reactivation online through my account, but it froze my pc halfway through the process. So I called customer service twice for help - (The first time, I could not understand the rep - the second time, she could speak English and everything worked great.)

Then I found this forum and had mixed thoughts about keeping the phone. I read through EACH post and almost changed my mind - again. But I finally agreed with Doctor M - that if I could return the phone to the store for a full refund that would probably be my best option. The phone went back to the store tonight. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Tech
Member Avatar

Here's a really good weather bookmark. Very detailed. would be hard pressed to find a better one any place,
so I thought I'd share here. This is the one I typically use on my PC but never really thought to check if it were
compatible with a mobile browser.

http://weather.unisys.com/forehome.php

Or just type in unisys weather and look for the forecast page, enter your zip and bookmark the results.
Either way works well. Just type in your zip code and bookmark it. Works....

Don't know how it does with the native Tracfone browser though. With opera mini it works great.
Fits in the screen perfectly even with the default font setting on Large.

Tech
Member Avatar

We don't need no stinking "apps"....

Working on a functional link for online news radio. Will share when I figger on a preferable one.
Don't know how practical it would be on a pre-paid trinket but you never know when yer in a pinch.

Edit -- I forgot to mention what I was going to bring up before yapping back at Doc.

If anyone uses Opera Min there are some power user settings that are available if you type "config:" into the
address bar. Without the quotations, of course. Works....

Posted Image

Also, "Debug:" returns lots of information. You can't mess with it but you can certainly see what's happening
under the hood... Unlike some other browsers... ^o)

Edit -- Moved the latter of my post on some other issues to a more relevant platform for further discussion...

cutiegirl89
Member Avatar

Does anyone know of a weather radar "App" that has functional radar?

Tusks

Anyone that can teach me how to use SMS codes for weather and whatnot and share some of the codes you
use on this phone? Just loaded up a bunch of music and plan on buying a few of the buy one get one games.
Some quick, easy way to get weather and other info could push me one step closer to somewhat replacing the
desire for a true smartphone with this 840g.

Tarkio101

Tusks, here are a few places that have some good information...

http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/phonesformobileworkers/tp/useful-things-to-do-with-regular-cell-phones.htm
At the bottom of the page, there are a bunch of good links to more articles covering basically the same idea.
If you google "find weather by sms" "get information by text message" "text for weather info" etc, you'll find a
bunch of sites to help you out.

http://pcworld.about.net/od/cellphones/10-Killer-Texting-Tricks.htm ... This article has tons of cool stuff.

http://danatheteacher.hubpages.com/hub/The-Best-Mobile-Websites-No-Smartphone-Required
This is something some others may find useful. Since this isn't a true smartphone, finding sites that work well on
it makes things smoother. This article has given me some good ideas. As well all know, some sites load quickly
and look perfectly formatted, while others are pretty bad...

Tusks

Thanks for that, Tarkio101 ... Seems you can get most anything info wise with Google SMS.

watsonk

tfuser19
January 17, 2013, 9:34 am
lgg1943
Google has apparently removed the source where the T&C get loaded to the phone, which cause the install process
to fail. If the app is not already installed on the phone, it cannot be now due to this - what a bummer. :(
I confirm that Google no longer allows re-installation of the Google maps in LG 840g. I tried to install both 2.3.2
and 3.0.2 versions, they got hung up in Terms and Conditions and eventually received a "Serious error. Please
exit and restart" message.

It is bad enough to have an unsigned version, now it is totally gone!

hoot929

Does anyone know if you can leave a personal message for your voicemail? or is it already done by TF for you?

tfuser19

hoot929
January 25, 2013, 7:03 pm
Does anyone know if you can leave a personal message for your voicemail? or is it already done by TF for you?
You can record your own message. Once you set up your voicemail PIN via the phone, you can access voicemail
via a landline to check it and change your settings including recording your own message... See the link below:

http://www.tracfone.com/includes/content/questions/General.jsp?enId=FA10013&esId=F

A3D
Member Avatar

Just received a gel case for my LG 840G today and it fits perfectly.

I found a link on eBay LG 840G Flexi Gel cover and ordered it for $7.50 USD plus tax... Also look for cases for
the European versions of the 840G named T395/T375 as they are the same configuration and will fit perfectly.

techno1210
angel1023
Does anyone know if there are any other places that sell cases for the LG 840g?

I just feel more comfortable having options.....

tfuser19

This is how the LG 840G cases sold from Spain fit.

See issues pictured below with microphone jack blocked, microUSB connector obstruction - cannot charge phone
without removing from cover, headphone jack blocked, and volume button alignment off.

If you bought one of these cases from Spain, I'd love to see the pictures if they fit perfectly and don't have these issues.
I bought two different styles from the same seller and they both have these fit issues.

The diamond flex gel case fit the same way.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

tfuser19

angel1023
January 26, 2013, 2:53 pm
Does anyone know if there are any other places that sell cases for the LG 840g?
I just feel more comfortable having options....
I'd like to know how well these fit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TPU-SHINY-GEL-CASE-SKIN-COVER-LG-840g-LG840g-/271139867767

macfan

I have a blue one ordered, so we will see.

Update: It looks like it fits just fine. Be sure to get the one from the American seller and not the seller from Spain.

Tusks

Are we sure on the cases from TrackTalk being perfect? I'd like to buy the TPU case, but no black unfortunately...

Curmudgeon

I followed the instructions that Sprocketman posted to the letter to have my own ringtones. I did upload several
mp3's that I had used on my former LG 800g to a sub folder on the memory card that I made called Ringtones...

Then, I assigned each mp3 to one of my contacts (my cell phone included)... The new ringtone shows up in the
phone directory, BUT, when I attempted to test it by calling my cell from my landline, it plays the Tracfone default
ringtone instead of the mp3 that I assigned! ... What have I missed?

watsonk

watsonk
January 25, 2013, 1:59 pm
tfuser19
lgg1943
I confirm that Google no longer allows re-installation of the Google maps in LG 840g. I tried to install both 2.3.2
and 3.0.2 versions, they got hung up in Terms and Conditions and eventually received a "Serious error. Please

I have good news!

This evening, I was able to install Google Maps versions 2.3.2 and then 3.0.2 again. In other words, I got passed
Terms and Conditions. Google must have fixed the problem... This could be a small window of opportunity until
Google breaks it again.

During the brief absence of Google Maps, I tried both Yahoo Maps and Mapquest using Tracfone's native browser.
These are not apps; I have to go to their mobile websites to use the maps.

I like Yahoo maps. It is a very good alternative to Google Maps.

As for Mapquest, I do not like that it uses two (or more) screens to show directions. Also, it is not too intelligent in
filling in the missing address information... For example, in both Google Maps and Yahoo Maps, you can type a
few key words such as street name and zip code, it will find matching addresses for you to choose; Mapquest is
not too intelligent in doing that.

tfuser19

I did see Google Maps T&C work after above post ...... but now they broke it again. :(

EDIT: WORKING AGAIN :) HURRY!

macfan

watsonk
January 29, 2013, 12:33 am
watsonk
January 25, 2013, 1:59 pm
tfuser19
lgg1943

I have good news!

This evening, I was able to install Google Maps versions 2.3.2 and then 3.0.2 again. In other words, I got passed
Terms and Conditions. Google must have fixed the problem... This could be a small window of opportunity until
Google breaks it again.

During the brief absence of Google Maps, I tried both Yahoo Maps and Mapquest using Tracfone's native browser.
These are not apps; I have to go to their mobile websites to use the maps.

I like Yahoo maps. It is a very good alternative to Google Maps.

As for Mapquest, I do not like that it uses two (or more) screens to show directions. Also, it is not too intelligent in
filling in the missing address information... For example, in both Google Maps and Yahoo Maps, you can type a
few key words such as street name and zip code, it will find matching addresses for you to choose; Mapquest is
not too intelligent in doing that.
Google no longer supports the java version of Google Maps and has removed it from their web site. The problem
you are running into is that you are only installing half of the app. Google Maps is a two part installation. The first
part is the app itself and the second part is the signed security. The complete app (both pieces) is out there on the
internet but does require some searching to find. To the best of my knowledge the 2.3.2 version is the latest signed
secure version of Google Maps for the LG840G. There was no 3.0.2 signed secure java version that I am aware of.
You will never get Google Maps to run correctly for very long without installing both pieces.

watsonk

The link still exists in Google.com: http://www.google.com/mobile/maps/

Underneath the Android map download, there is a statement saying:

"Not an Android? Get Google Maps."

This link will open up a screen for Google Maps 2.3.2 download.

Previously, the download got hung up in Terms & Conditions... As of last night, I was able to pass Terms &
Conditions and received the full download. The only thing is that it is unsigned and comes with Virtual Keypad.
One will need to modify the jar file to get rid of the virtual keypad (which was discussed extensively in this forum).

I downloaded version 3.0.2 elsewhere with modified jad file (to remove virtual keypad) and accompanying jar
file in my phone. I installed version 3.0.2 subsequently. Version 3.0.2 is unsigned; it works just like before with
annoying warning screens.

So far, I have not seen any signed versions in both 2.3.2 and 3.0.2. If anyone has, please let me know.

In conclusion, Google must have fixed something. Otherwise, I could not pass the Terms & Conditions.
I consider this Google support.

tfuser19

watsonk
January 29, 2013, 1:29 pm

This link will open up a screen for Google Maps 2.3.2 download.....
watsonk,

Can you or anyone else confirm there's a link to download Google Maps 2.3.2 following what you posted?

It used to be like that months ago. Now I'm not seeing anything except "iOS" and "Web app".

macfan

tfuser19
January 29, 2013, 1:46 pm
watsonk

This link will open up a screen for Google Maps 2.3.2 download.....
watsonk,

Can you or anyone else confirm there's a link to download Google Maps 2.3.2 following what you posted?
It used to be like that months ago. Now I'm not seeing anything except "iOS" and "Web app".
You are correct... The Java version is not on Google's web site.

macfan

watsonk

This link will open up a screen for Google Maps 2.3.2 download.

Previously, the download got hung up in Terms & Conditions... As of last night, I was able to pass Terms &
Conditions and received the full download. The only thing is that it is unsigned and comes with Virtual Keypad.
One will need to modify the jar file to get rid of the virtual keypad (which was discussed extensively in this forum).

I downloaded version 3.0.2 elsewhere with modified jad file (to remove virtual keypad) and accompanying jar
file in my phone. I installed version 3.0.2 subsequently. Version 3.0.2 is unsigned; it works just like before with
annoying warning screens.

So far, I have not seen any signed versions in both 2.3.2 and 3.0.2. If anyone has, please let me know.

In conclusion, Google must have fixed something. Otherwise, I could not pass the Terms & Conditions.
I consider this Google support.
If it is unsigned you did not get the full download. You only have one of the two apps needed. As nicely as I can
put it, you are confused. If you would like to send me your email address in a PM I will send you both files for the
2.3.2 version and you can see what you can do with it. I haven't had time to play with it myself yet...
There was never a signed Java version of 3.0.2 produced that I am aware of.

tfuser19

macfan
January 29, 2013, 2:07 pm
If it is unsigned you did not get the full download. You only have one of the two apps needed. As nicely as I can
put it, you are confused. If you would like to send me your email address in a PM I will send you both files for the
2.3.2 version and you can see what you can do with it. I haven't had time to play with it myself yet...
There was never a signed Java version of 3.0.2 produced that I am aware of.
macfan,

The JAD does not contain the application nor is the JAD an application. The entire application is in the JAR.
The JAD is used to configure the app and install it as a signed application. (Not all JADs are signed).

You can also configure the app by editing a file in the JAR, then install the unsigned app with the modified
JAR file ... I have done that with GoogleMaps 3.0.2 - it is the full unsigned app .... it works. You do not even
have to configure the JAR file if it works for your phone the way you get it.

It is better to have the signed version... Installing a signed app requires both files, but JAD contains a link for
JAR, so the JAR can be downloaded by installing with the JAD, provided JAR is available on server so it can
be downloading via JAD. If you have both JAD and JAR, then during installation with JAD, it uses the JAR file
you already have instead of downloading it from the server.

If the JAD is signed, and the JAR does not match exactly what the JAD is expecting, say because the JAR is
corrupted or altered, the installation will fail.

In the case of Google Maps, neither the JAR nor JAD are available on Google Server.

tfuser19

lgg1943
January 29, 2013, 5:24 pm
The 2.3.2 version can be downloaded from the phone browser by selecting search, Google, and then google maps.
It downloaded and installed, went thru the T&C with no problem and seems to work great...
Thanks to Google and everyone else.
Can you post a link or site you downloaded it from? ... Did you install the signed version?

tfuser19

lgg1943
January 29, 2013, 6:50 pm
The URL is http://www.google.com/mobile/other/ ... Then I had to enlarge the screen and then touch Google maps.

It seems to select the 2.3.2 version. -- Sorry, it only seems to work from the phone -- It is unsigned, I've never found
a signed version.
Not working for me...
Has anyone else been able to download/install Google Maps with these instructions from the google.com site?

macfan

I have the signed two part matched set, but after being told I do not know what I am doing or talking about,
I am hesitant to offer it up.

tfuser19

Google Maps 2.3.2 Signed - Modified version for LG 840G.
If you cannot download it from google.com, here's an alternate source for you.

ortizmro

macfan
January 29, 2013, 10:54 pm
I have the signed two part matched set, but after being told I do not know what I am doing or talking about,
I am hesitant to offer it up.
Here's the link where I got the signed version of Google Maps 2.3.2 files from... Google Maps Link

I can confirm that the app works great on my LG 840G. Just unzip the downloaded file, put the 2 files (from the
zipped file) into your "Other files" folder on your memory card, then click on the maps.jad file to install it.

watsonk

tfuser19
January 29, 2013, 11:37 pm
Google Maps 2.3.2 Signed - Modified version for LG 840G.
If you cannot download it from google.com, here's an alternate source for you.
Thank you so much! ... You just made my LG 840g more complete.

With the signed version, no more annoying screens asking me to confirm.

watsonk

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts, or questions on this phone, please post it all here ... thanks.

* Tracfone LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?
* Net10 LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recently, in three separate occasions, I dialed a call and failed; a message telling me to try to call again later.
I was in areas of good AT&T coverage.

I am wondering if some AT&T software was filtering out Tracfone calls once the network reaches certain capacity.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.