Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: ... Are you crazy! ... Are you insane! ... Are you going Black Friday shopping this week?!
Yes! / I am crazy! / Can't wait!
No way! / Forget that! / Never!
Poll Maker
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up here -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have total access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) LG 840g Phone Topic
Topic Started: September 23, 2012, 11:41 pm (186,308 Views)
tfuser19

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts or questions on this phone, feel free to post it all here ... thanks.

* Tracfone LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?
* Net10 LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
watsonk
December 21, 2012, 1:08 am
I found a very good Weather app in the web. It is called Weather V1.02.06 by gega and Gergely Gati.
It retrieves weather info from Accuweather, supports 5 cities, displays current as well as 4-day weather forecast.
I downloaded the 240 pixels version to match the LG840g.

http://handheld.softpedia.com/progDownload/Weather-Java-Download-62961.html

The only problem is that the virtual keypad shows up at the bottom of the screen............
watsonk, Nice find! ... Here's an easier way to make this mod and the author's website:

1. http://weather.midlets.eu/
Click on the image under "screenshots", to see the "Overview" (1 screen for up to 5 cities), "Forecast" (4-day
forecast, 1 screen for each city), and "Current conditions" (1 screen for each city)... From the Options menu,
the top option under Cities controls how many cities are displayed. You can also search for cities by zipcode,
and the program will use the corresponding city name.

2. Download the .jad and .jar to your PC using directly from the author's web site.
You want to save the following .jar and .jad files into a folder on your PC.
http://weather.midlets.eu/bin/v1.2.6/Weather240.jar
http://weather.midlets.eu/bin/v1.2.6/Weather240.jad

3. Using Notepad readily found on your Windows PC (or a similar text editor), append the following lines
originally specified in watsonk's post to the end of the .jad file (NOT the .jar) downloaded above:

MIDlet-Touch-Support: true
UseNativeTextButtons: false
ReverseSoftkeys: false
UseNativeCommands: false
Navi-Key-Hidden: true
Nokia-MIDlet-On-Screen-Keypad: no
LGE-MIDlet-Height: 320
LGE-MIDlet-Width: 240
LGE-MIDlet-TargetLCD-Height: 320
LGE-MIDlet-TargetLCD-Width: 240
LGE-MIDlet-On-Screen-Keypad: no

4. Bluetooth or USB the .jad .and .jar files over to your phone into the SD card's "Other Files" folder.
If using USB, disconnect the PC and USB cable after transferring the files over.
5. From the phone, use the phone's File Manager to navigate to the "Other Files" folder where the Weather240.jad
and .jar files are located on your phone and click on the .jad file (NOT THE JAR) to install the Weather application
using the customizations made to that .jad file.
6. Click "Later" to the "Download completed" prompt. The phone did not need to be connected to the internet up to
this point, nor does it need to be activated - so no minutes are consumed up to this point.
7. Now if you have WiFi available and want to save minutes, connect the phone to the WiFi router, as the next step
of starting up the Weather application requires data to configure and use the Weather application.
8. Go to Games & Apps->Weather (white umbrella in red box icon) and follow the directions. If you start the application
without 3G (unactivated phone) or WiFi is not connected, you will get an "Activation Required" message.

Modifying the .jad file is easier in my opinion, as you just need a text editor such as Notepad which is found on all
Windows PCs under the Accessories folder.

Since this application is unsigned, your will get the "Alert - Untrusted Midlet" warning each time it needs to access
data via the network. Note that the units, sound, update interval, can be changed/disabled using the Options menu.

To cycle through the different weather display types, touch near the top of the phone display under LG. To cycle
through the different cities, swipe right-to-left across the screen to go down the list or l-to-r to go backwards.

Dennis Bournique has some good stuff on his site for hiding the keypad in Opera Mini and my now favorite UC Browser:
http://blog.wapreview.com/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ Frankie

Here is the link on how to activate the speaker phone... Look under VOLUME
http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?custId=TFLG840G&locale=en_US

There is a "speaker" icon on the top left of the dial pad when you are dialing, or a speaker icon on the bottom
left of the screen after you have dialed or answered a call -- Just tap it to activate the speaker.

ttfitz

I haven't run across this information in this thread, so I thought I'd ask...

When you use the web over the 3G network rather than wifi, how many minutes are used with this phone?
Is it like the older phones, based on the time connected, or is it related to data transmitted?

Thanks.

Frankie

DoctorM
December 21, 2012, 5:21 pm
@ Frankie

Here is the link on how to activate the speaker phone... Look under VOLUME
http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?custId=TFLG840G&locale=en_US

There is a "speaker" icon on the top left of the dial pad when you are dialing, or a speaker icon on the bottom
left of the screen after you have dialed or answered a call -- Just tap it to activate the speaker.
Thanks for the help with the speaker phone... It was easy once I new where to look.

Curmudgeon

I downloaded and installed the weather app complete with the modifyed file. I successfully changed the four cities
to ones in this country closer to home.. The problem that I am encountering is that it keeps reverting to Centigrade
(Metric) readings even though I have gone to Options - Units and clicked on US.

After I click on US, what do I do to make it accept that as my choice?

watsonk

Curmudgeon
December 22, 2012, 5:34 pm
I downloaded and installed the weather app complete with the modifyed file. I successfully changed the four cities
to ones in this country closer to home.. The problem that I am encountering is that it keeps reverting to Centigrade
(Metric) readings even though I have gone to Options - Units and clicked on US.

After I click on US, what do I do to make it accept that as my choice?
Inside Options, once you changed Units to "US" instead of "metric", you have to save it.
To save it, you need to click on the MENU icon located at the right upper corner.
This will open an choice saying "Ok" or "Cancel"... Click "Ok".

I have made temperatures from Canadian cities displaying in degF.

watsonk

The whole exercise with modifying the *.jar or *.jad file is to educate LG 840g users how to eliminate the virtual
keypad for Java apps.

I found that some apps require virtual keypad to function properly. It is not a good idea to eliminate the virtual keypad.

The link below shows commands to eliminate virtual keypad for Opera Mini 7.1:

http://blog.wapreview.com

UseNativeTextButtons: hide
ReverseSoftkeys: hide
UseNativeCommands: hide
MIDlet-ScreenMode: ROTATE
MIDlet-Landscape-Support: true
LGE-MIDlet-Height: 400
LGE-MIDlet-Display-Mode: both

The 7th and 12th lines relate to lanscope operation. I did not use them for the Weather app.

Curmudgeon

Following your instructions, it did save Options to F instead of C. However, the readings are WILDLY inaccurate.
My city displays as -36F whereas my online weather sites show the current temperature as 58F!
San Antonio, TX shows as -6F whereas it is currently 63F! ... Call me bewildered if you will.

watsonk

Curmudgeon
December 23, 2012, 11:37 am
Following your instructions, it did save Options to F instead of C. However, the readings are WILDLY inaccurate.
My city displays as -36F whereas my online weather sites show the current temperature as 58F!
San Antonio, TX shows as -6F whereas it is currently 63F! ... Call me bewildered if you will.
I think that I had the same problem in the beginning. Then I figured it out. Apparently, the city name and the city
that it connects could be different.
To be sure, you will need to do the following:
1) You named an entry as San Antonio, TX.
2) Navigate such that Antonio, TX's local weather would show up (either as current temperature or 4-day forecast)
... even though it displays incorrect temperature.
3) Click "Options" (lower right hand corner), click "Search".
4) Enter the zip code.
5) It finds the city.
Now it should display matching temperature with the San Antonio, TX entry.

I compared all my 5 cities against online Accuweather temperatures. They match either exactly or very closely
(off by 1 degF sometimes). The cities include U.S. and Oversea ones.

watsonk

Last night, I went to ucweb.com website and downloaded the latest UC Java browser.

I tried both the universal for java version and the signed version for java. Both versions have the same problems:
1) It displays Chinese characters in my phone. I do not know how to change Chinese to English.
2) It goes on communication testing mode for a long time before selecting Channel 3 for my phone to use.
--- I am not sure what sort of data that UC is retrieving from my phone.
3) Also, it contains links to sexy female photos and related news. I don't think that I want my kids to use this browser.

All in all, I was not happy with this Chinese version of UC. I deleted it from my phone.

watsonk

I was trying to download Skyfire V1.0 to experiment with LG 840g ... Unfortunately, the internet is full of fake
skyfire.jar files. These files do nothing except bringing you to an Indian website using your existing Browser.

Also, some of the download sites were blocked by Trendmicro... It is a mine field out there!

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ Watsonk
My opinion on Java is that it is a third-rate system, poorly regulated and poorly supported, and mostly crap for apps.
If you really want good performing apps, you either use Apple iPhone or an Android phone... The good thing about
the LG 840G is that it comes with most of the built-in apps most people would need.

Sprocketman

Shop Cell Deals has the 840g on Ebay until Dec. 29 with a year of service and 1200 minutes (400 minutes
threebled by the Triple Minutes for Life) for $99.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-LG-840G-1200-Minutes-and-Triple-Minutes-Life-Tracfone

With the codes from Turk's Scroll thread, you could probably get some extra minutes on top of that.

Merry Christmas.

watsonk

DoctorM
December 24, 2012, 12:15 pm
@ Watsonk
My opinion on Java is that it is a third-rate system, poorly regulated and poorly supported, and mostly crap for apps.
If you really want good performing apps, you either use Apple iPhone or an Android phone... The good thing about
the LG 840G is that it comes with most of the built-in apps most people would need.
The LG 840g is a drastic improvement over the old Tracfones; I am quite happy with it even though it has some flaws.
On the contrary, I am pleasantly surprised on how good the LG 840g is for the price.

For my lifestyle, Tracfone is a very good choice for me. Many of my coworkers have Apple and Android phones.
They paid a price for them (2-years term agreement, high monthly fees, and a huge family plan with sons, daughters,
parents and in-laws). I'll just go with this pre-paid plan.. After all, I got the phone essentially free, paying a good price
for the 1400 minutes from Hsn.

Tarkio101

I have pretty much given up on using UC or Opera. The Tracfone browser may not be the best around, but I don't
really think that either of the others is much, if any, better. And I use the browser a lot via wifi. And I agree, it really
comes with most of the apps most people need. I don't think too many serious android or iphone users would ever
be considering this phone anyway. But the way net 10 and straightalk force the best phones onto unlimited plans,
I am happy with a phone that does this much.

To me, it's surprising how affordable Tracfone can be for people who aren't just occasional users... On the $199
card that gives you 4500 minutes per year when tripled is pretty good. It works out to less than 5 cents per minute
of talk and less than 2 cents per text. For me, it's perfect. I may use more minutes some months when it might be a
little cheaper to be on some other plan, than there are months where I might use 10 minutes. And on some monthly
plan (like the net10 $25 plan with 750 minutes) I would still have to pay to keep it active.

For $16.66 per month, not having to buy cards to keep it active when not used, having all the minutes I need for a
year, and getting them so cheaply with no hassles, it works well for me. And I like that I can use the value of the card
as minutes, text, or data and that they are not pre-divided up into separate pools for me.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

watsonk
December 24, 2012, 2:49 pm
DoctorM
December 24, 2012, 12:15 pm
@ Watsonk
The LG 840g is a drastic improvement over the old Tracfones; I am quite happy with it even though it has some flaws.
On the contrary, I am pleasantly surprised on how good the LG 840g is for the price.

For my lifestyle, Tracfone is a very good choice for me. Many of my coworkers have Apple and Android phones.
They paid a price for them (2-years term agreement, high monthly fees, and a huge family plan with sons, daughters,
parents and in-laws). I'll just go with this pre-paid plan.. After all, I got the phone essentially free, paying a good price
for the 1400 minutes from Hsn.
I agree the LG 840G is a great phone - for the price we pay. It doesn't run on Java, but on a proprietary system,
that (like MS Windows) will also run JavaME apps. Fortunately for us, its built-in apps are all that most people will
ever need, and I suspect none of the built-in apps are JavaME apps (although I don't know that for sure).

The problems with JavaME apps that we add, are with the add-on apps themselves -- very few are designed for a
touch screen, and most are designed for a specific phone. JavaME's only saving grace (IMHO) is that there are no
licensing fees, which is probably why it is enabled in low-end phones... No licensing fees also means there is no
central authority approving JavaME apps, which is why there are so many crappy JavaME apps, and so many that
are not much more than malware.

In contrast, all Apple iPad, iPod, and iPhone apps are designed for a touchscreen, and to work across multiple
devices. The same with Android devices -- all Android apps are designed for a touchscreen, and generally work
across multiple devices... The drawback is both require licensing fees, and at least in Apple's case, testing and
approval by Apple. That adds to the cost of the device, and is why those two systems only show up in higher-end
devices.

I have an Apple iPad and an Android Tablet and smart phone. but no Apple iPhone. And, of course several phones
that will do JavaME apps. The best, and most consistent performers are Apple apps. Not far behind are Android Apps.
And way, way, way, way behind are JavaME apps.

Hopefully in the very near future the next generation of the LG 800G - 840G will abandon JavaME and support
Android apps.

Curmudgeon

I heartily concur with your appraisal. When the LG 800G came out on Tracfone, I was delighted to have the
opportunity to use a touch screen after my previous Tracfone with less features. Then, when the LG 840G
became available, the main drawing card that made me loosen my wallet again was the ability to use WiFi.

Now, I have little doubt that "sometime" in the future we shall have the opportunity to move up to a model can
utilize Android Apps as well... A little better camera would provide some frosting on the cake. ;-)

Tarkio101

I agree with the 2 posts above. The bad thing is this--most of lower end android phones out there are just not very
good. Often, they just can't run the latest apps, the best apps, or the apps that take a lot of horsepower. And its all
a matter of keeping costs down. I like the 840g since it mostly just does what it does, but it works pretty well.

I don't get a lot of laggy hangups when I try to open things, not a lot of shutdowns in the middle of trying to do some-
thing etc. I always got that on my Samsung (Android 2.2) phone. The LG 840g is actually better at browsing since it
doesn't get "stuck" while trying to load anything.

pjonthemount

Tarkio101
December 24, 2012, 3:39 pm
I have pretty much given up on using UC or Opera. The Tracfone browser may not be the best around, but I don't
really think that either of the others is much, if any, better. And I use the browser a lot via wifi. And I agree, it really
comes with most of the apps most people need. I don't think too many serious android or iphone users would ever
be considering this phone anyway. But the way net 10 and straightalk force the best phones onto unlimited plans,
I am happy with a phone that does this much.

To me, it's surprising how affordable Tracfone can be for people who aren't just occasional users... On the $199
card that gives you 4500 minutes per year when tripled is pretty good. It works out to less than 5 cents per minute
of talk and less than 2 cents per text. For me, it's perfect. I may use more minutes some months when it might be a
little cheaper to be on some other plan, than there are months where I might use 10 minutes. And on some monthly
plan (like the net10 $25 plan with 750 minutes) I would still have to pay to keep it active.

For $16.66 per month, not having to buy cards to keep it active when not used, having all the minutes I need for a
year, and getting them so cheaply with no hassles, it works well for me. And I like that I can use the value of the card
as minutes, text, or data and that they are not pre-divided up into separate pools for me.
Tarkio101, thank you. .... Finally, someone has summed it up.

Tracfone does exactly what it was designed to do with their phones provide low cost, reliable communication
for people on a budget and/or those who don't use a ton of minutes every month.

Their phones are not, and never have been a replacement for a computer... They are not smart phones.
I don't know why people keep trying to make them do things they weren't designed to do in the first place.
If this is what a person needs, then they should get a smart phone, sign up for the 2 year contract and start
paying those huge monthly payments.

I've been using Tracfone for several years and I'm very satisfied with the service.
The phones are decent quality and get good reception just about everywhere.
On the rare occasion that I use the browser to look something up, it works fairly well.

pjonthemount

I do have a question about the LG 840g...

On the LG 800g, there was an option in the contact list to 'back up contacts'.
With this, it would back up your entire contact list, along with ALL contact info. to the memory card.

On the LG 840g, there is no such option, as far as I can see.
The only way I've been able to accomplish a backup is to Bluetooth the contacts to my old LG 800g,
then back it up to the memory card in that phone.

Has anyone found an easier way to do this? ...... Thanks for any help on this subject.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

pjonthemount
December 25, 2012, 11:30 pm
I do have a question about the LG 840g...

On the LG 800g, there was an option in the contact list to 'back up contacts'.
With this, it would back up your entire contact list, along with ALL contact info. to the memory card.

On the LG 840g, there is no such option, as far as I can see.
The only way I've been able to accomplish a backup is to Bluetooth the contacts to my old LG 800g,
then back it up to the memory card in that phone.

Has anyone found an easier way to do this? ...... Thanks for any help on this subject.
Look back on Page 7 at the following posts where this issue was discussed on 15 Dec:

srmbuff

I got a Tracfone 840G off of HSN, had it about a week now Ported over one of my vzw acct #'s. TF had to send me
a new SIM card to activate. Then It took them a few days to get the vm feature/setup to work... both those problems
where handled OK. My current gripe/problem is that I cannot find a more detailed Product/Owners/Service manual
the friggen spanglish "user guide is extremely limited and most of the new challenges:

1. when using the wifi feature (I've downloaded opera mini) and even with the phones browser I get the annoying
msg:..all the friggen time: "Untrusted midlet You are accessing the network. Data charges may apply. continue?
Y or N there must be some way to change ...whatever a "midlet" is from untrusted to trusted etc.

Anyone know where or how I can find and download a manual?

Thanks

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ srmbuff
The only printed user guide is the 90 page English / 90 Page Spanish you re-listed above. FYI, it is a vast
improvement over it's predecessor, the next-to-nothing LG 800g User Guide. The rest of the info you need
you can probably get in this topic.

There is lot of discussion earlier in this topic concerning Opera Mini. You might start with page 7 (#627, #653,
#654, #659), and skim backwards from there until you see all the info you want. You might also read the posts
on installing and using Google Maps, and Youtube, as they have similar issues.

Tech
Member Avatar

watsonk
December 21, 2012, 1:08 am
I found a very good Weather app in the web. It is called Weather V1.02.06 by gega and Gergely Gati.
It retrieves weather info from Accuweather, supports 5 cities, displays current as well as 4-day weather forecast.
I downloaded the 240 pixels version to match the LG840g.

http://handheld.softpedia.com/progDownload/Weather-Java-Download-62961.html

The only problem is that the virtual keypad shows up at the bottom of the screen.

After researching the the web, I learned how to disable the virtual keypad.

1) Download and install WINRAR from Internet (if it is not already existed in computer).
2) Create a folder in PC.
3) Download and save weather240.jar file in the folder (this is the 240 pixels Weather V.1.2.6 jar file).
4) Open weather240.jar using WINRAR (right click on the file, and using Open with ... WINRAR).
5) Locate and open folder named META-INF.
6) Inside the META-INF folder, locate a file named MANIFEST-MF.
7) Drag the MANIFEST-MF file from WINRAR into the folder.
8) Open and edit MANIFEST-MF file using NOTEPAD.
9) Add the following lines at the bottom of the file:

UseNativeTextButtons: false
ReverseSoftkeys: false
UseNativeCommands: false
LGE-MIDlet-Height: 320
LGE-MIDlet-TargetLCD-Height: 320
LGE-MIDlet-TargetLCD-Width: 240

Not sure what every parameter means, but the combination works. I chose 240x320 to match the LG840g pixels.

10) Save the MANIFEST-MF file and exit NOTEPAD.
11) Drag the edited MANIFEST-MF file from folder to WINRAR, overwritting the existing MANIFEST-MF file.
12) Exit WINRAR by using "Save Archive Copy As", overwriting the previous Weather240.jar.
13) Once the new Weather240.jar is created, using a data communication cable, it can be copied to the phone's "Other Files" folder in the memory card.
14) Using "Safely Remove Hardware" in PC, terminate communication between PC and phone.
15) Disconnect phone physically from data communication cable.
16) Go to "File Manager" icon of the phone.
17) Locate the Weather240.jar file in "Other Files" folder of the memory card.
18) Install and launch the application.

The virtual keypad does not show up any more. This technique can be used to remove the virtual keypad from all sorts of *.jar or *.jad files.

The Weather app is very intuitive to set up and to operate. We should thank the software developers for doing such a good job!
Weather.com. Works....

I swear, there has to be some dude sitting at tracfone laughing his arse off at people. Geez.
No way I'd take the time to do all of that just to play carrot and stick with tracfone. why would anyone? Gosh.

Tracfone should consider stopping the practice of tinkering with people with these devices.
It's not very entertaining to watch anymore... Becoming sad, actually.

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
December 26, 2012, 12:36 pm
@ srmbuff
The only printed user guide is the 90 page English / 90 Page Spanish you re-listed above. FYI, it is a vast
improvement over it's predecessor, the next-to-nothing LG 800g User Guide. The rest of the info you need
you can probably get in this topic.

There is lot of discussion earlier in this topic concerning Opera Mini. You might start with page 7 (#627, #653,
#654, #659), and skim backwards from there until you see all the info you want. You might also read the posts
on installing and using Google Maps, and Youtube, as they have similar issues.
Could probably thin the thread out some, if we folks would just read the thing before asking what has already been
answered more than once... Whatever though.

pjonthemount

Tech
December 26, 2012, 1:59 pm
Could probably thin the thread out some, if we folks would just read the thing before asking what has already
been answered more than once. Whatever though.
That's true, but who has the time to look at over 700 posts to find the topic they're looking for?
Much easier to ask the question (redundent as it may be), have someone point it out (such as DoctorM), then go right to it.

pjonthemount

DoctorM,
Thanks for pointing to the posts concerning backing up the contacts.

I tried that, and although the contacts did transfer to my PC via Bluetooth, not all of the associated information
went with them.

I don't recall what data failed to transfe... it was either the street address or the email address... I'm not sure.
Bottom line is you don't get all the data like you did with the 800's backup feature.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ pjonthemount
I also lost some data when I transferred my contacts from the LG 800G to the LG 840G. I think it was all related to
groups I had people in -- Family, Friends, Blacklist, etc. The group Names transferred, but no one was in the groups.

Thanks for bringing this up. I noticed just now that I have some groups (without anyone listed in them) showing up
in both the phone memory and external (microSD card) memory... They are recognized in GROUPS by having a
different icon by them, and appear to be treated as separate groups, even if they have the same name.

This may be the way to backup contacts. I have to play with this a little more. I'll be back in a bit.

UPDATE:
Never mind -- when I open a group on the microSD card and try to add names to the group, there are no names to
select from, and no way to access the list of contacts in the phone memory. Might be a capability that has succumbed
to a patent licensing war.

MORE UPDATE:
Now I think I remember - those contacts who were only in a group that I created (not a default group) were not
transferred when I used the bulk transfer (CONTACTS > OPTIONS > SETTINGS > SEND ALL CONTACTS).

pjonthemount

DoctorM,

When I Bluetoothed contacts from the 800 to the 840, I didn't loose any data but I didn't have any groups, either.

Since then, I experimented and found that I can Bluetooth contacts from the 840 to the old 800.
Then use the backup feature on the 800 (that was so nice to have), then save directly from the 800 to the PC.

So far, this is the only way I've found to backup the entire contact list, along with all of the associated data for each
contact and without losing anything.

Also keep in mind that the 800 has to be empty or else you'll have double entries when the contacts are Bluetoothed
over from the 840.

blueduns

Has anyone found/used a safe Flashlight Java App for the LG 840G?

BD

DoctorM
Member Avatar

blueduns
December 27, 2012, 12:32 pm
Has anyone found/used a safe Flashlight Java App for the LG 840G?

BD
You could just make an all-white 240x320 graphic, name it "flashlight" (or something like that so it lists first in
your PICTURES folder). That's all a "flashlight" app is (a white screen), except an app should also control how
bright the screen is -- which you can manually do by (SETTING > DISPLAY > BRIGHTNESS > 100%)

In fact, you could just use the SETTINGS screen, or the BRIGHTNESS screen, as they are mostly white.

tfuser19

watsonk
December 23, 2012, 4:54 pm
Last night, I went to ucweb.com website and downloaded the latest UC Java browser.

I tried both the universal for java version and the signed version for java. Both versions have the same problems:
1) It displays Chinese characters in my phone. I do not know how to change Chinese to English.
2) It goes on communication testing mode for a long time before selecting Channel 3 for my phone to use.
3) Also, it contains links to sexy female photos and related news. I don't think that I want my kids to use this browser.

All in all, I was not happy with this Chinese version of UC. I deleted it from my phone.
1) I've downloaded and installed several different versions of UC browser on both an unactivated LG840G (unsigned versions) and a Samsung S390G (signed versions) and I've never seen any Chinese characters being displayed, it's been plain old English. I've been using UC browser for about a month now on my S390G and several weeks on the LG 840G.

UC has just released version 8.8 for Java phones on December 25, which is newer than the version 8.7 that I'm guessing you tried and I'd been using successfully for a while. I have since upgraded both phones to version 8.8 without any issues.

2) I don't recall seeing the browser go into communication mode on either phone previously, nor on the 25th when I installed version 8.8 on both phones.

3) What did you have to do from the browser to get to "links to sexy female photos and related news"? I don't recall seeing this.
When I use the UC browser, I specify the URLs I want to go to by entering them or picking them from my favorites list. The browser has never taken me somewhere I did not want to go or expected to go.

====================

UC Browser is being used by 400 million people globally. We must all be nuts. :) ;) :)

I like this browser better than the native browser, the now defunct Bolt, and Opera Mini 7.1. Based on my usage experience, the UC browser is significantly more responsive than all of the others I've tried and has a load of nice features.

For anyone wanting to try the browser on a LG840G, use the signed links unless your phone is not activated yet. If you use the unsigned links, expect the "Alert - Untrusted Midlet" every time you click on a new link.

If you want to give version this browser a test drive and don't want to spend time modifying the .jad file yourself, you could just install the Signed UC Browser 8.7 using your phone browser and be done using the following link from Dennis Bournique's blog site (http://blog.wapreview.com/16898/)using the .jad file he modified and hosted for us:
http://is.gd/uc87touch

If you want the latest UC Browser version 8.8, click on the appropriate .jad file from your mobile browser, or download the .jad and .jar files to your PC, then Bluetooth or USB them to your phone, then click on the .jad file. If you do not modify the .jad file, you will see the LG virtual keyboard, which is unnecessary with the LG840G touchscreen.

Latest Unsigned Java Version JAD and JAR mobile link:
http://wap.ucweb.com/index.php?product=ucbrowser&platform=69&java_platform=true&lang=english

Latest Signed Java Version JAD and JAR mobile link:
http://wap.ucweb.com/index.php?product=ucbrowser&platform=70&java_platform=true&lang=english

Latest Signed and Unsigned Java Version JAD and JAR PC links (to download to your PC, then transfer to your phone):
http://www.ucweb.com/English/UCbrowser/platform.html?platform=java
Unsigned-> Universal version for Java
Signed-> Signed version for Java
note that for each version, there are separate links for the .jad and the .jar files

Instructions on how to get rid of the LG keypad by modifying the JAD file with a text editor:

http://blog.wapreview.com/16898/

Since my LG840G is not activated yet, I cannot confirm this, but I believe downloading the signed .jad and .jar files to your PC, transferring them both to your phone, then clicking on the .jad file while the phone should install the signed application. I have installed the untrusted versions onto my unactivated LG840G after transferring the .jad and .jar from PC to phone for sure without WiFi connected until I open the browser.

Like any other software out there, it's not perfect - but it's damn good!. If there is anyone else who has not posted in this thread yet using or previously tried UC Browser, or gives it a try, please post your opinion about it.
Edited by tfuser19, December 29, 2012, 3:05 pm.

tfuser19

watsonk
December 23, 2012, 8:07 pm
I was trying to download Skyfire V1.0 to experiment with LG 840g ... Unfortunately, the internet is full of fake
skyfire.jar files. These files do nothing except bringing you to an Indian website using your existing Browser.

Also, some of the download sites were blocked by Trendmicro... It is a mine field out there!
I saw this post before you modified it. At one point you said you had installed Skyfire V1.0 on you phone, if I recall
correctly, and you said it looked like exactly like the native browser ......... now I understand that comment, the app
was just opening the native browser to redirect you to their site.

After I read your post, I googled for a java version of Skyfire, since you had not posted where you found it, and I
came to the conclusion that they no longer have a java version -- see http://www.skyfire.com.

tfuser19

Tarkio101
I have pretty much given up on using UC or Opera. .....
Can you elaborate a bit or your experiences with UC and Opera?

Urge

I am an almost total noob with these advanced tracfones. I have had 2 LG 420s for the past 2-3 years but I only used
it as a phone and only minimally at that. In the last week or so I bought an LG 840G (ported over my phone # and all
500 of my minutes from an expired LG 420g phone thru the best CS option that I found on another forum in under 10
minutes "Avoid the regular CS when you do the transfer, as they are iffy. Call the better CS at 800-876-5753 - or the
best at 800-626-4883 and they will help you. The Tracfone Forum is also good, and some people like the Facebook
help, but I don't." posted by Lisme . I have plowed thru all 8 pages and 731 posts in this forum (very helpful, I learned
a lot). I just downloaded and installed Opera mini 7.1 and it is apparently a signed version because I am not getting
any popups for untrusted or whatever apps. Here is the link...http://is.gd/mini71

At least I think/hope this is it. I only spent 5-10 minutes playing with the opera browser and only went to ESPN so...
please let me know if this works and is what you all have been looking for or if it's not I guess I'm getting slammed.
It's OK I can take it ..... Hope this helps.

Urge

Urge

tfuser19 wrote...
Quote:

If want to give version this browser a test drive and don't want to spend time modifying the .jad file yourself,
you could just install the Signed UC Browser 8.7 using your phone browser and be done using the following
link from Dennis' site using the .jad file he modified and hosted for us: http://is.gd/uc87touch
What is Dennis' site? ... Anyone have an address?

Urge

tfuser19

Urge
December 27, 2012, 6:39 pm
tfuser19 wrote...
Quote:

If want to give version this browser a test drive and don't want to spend time modifying the .jad file yourself,
you could just install the Signed UC Browser 8.7 using your phone browser and be done using the following
link from Dennis' site using the .jad file he modified and hosted for us: http://is.gd/uc87touch
What is Dennis' site? ... Anyone have an address?

Urge
Urge, Dennis Bournique's blog link referencing the UC 8.7 jad modification is http://blog.wapreview.com/16898/.
I have updated the original post to clarify this by putting this link next to the .jad link you quoted.

ranndumb

tfuser19:
I followed your instructions and downloaded the latest UC Mobile Browser (signed Ver.8.8.1). After modifying the
JAD file I transferred the file to my activated LG840G and installed the browser. When you first run the browser you
must agree to their terms and I noticed they have you automatically opt in to a service for browser improvement of
some type. Since it wasn't clear what the service was, I unchecked the box and opted out.

Other than that, I'm very impressed with the browser. I also have Opera Mini 7.1 and I now prefer the UC Browser
as my new favorite... I especially like all the built-in mobile links for Top Sites, News, Tech, Sports, and Shopping.

When browsing the web on a small screen, I find it much easier to navigate mobile sites rather than trying to navigate
around a normal web site on a small screen. Thanks for your help and everyone else who contributes to this great
thread... P.S.: I didn't see any Chinese characters or links to sexy female photos. ;)

Tech
Member Avatar

Be careful with some of these "apps", people. I've hardly ever gotten any spam at all in all of the years I've been using email but recently started getting a huge list of around 20 or 30 spam emails every single time i logged into my email on my home pc. Now, I haven't signed up for anything that would have put my email address out there for third parties or anything. Nor will I .

I did remember Doc mentioning the fact that some of these fly by night apps(which are all we are able to get, btw. Even though it was marketed as otherwise) are programmed to phone home with any information it was able to steal from an unprotected device . As far as I can tell, the spam is all relevant to things that I have searched on the lg 840g itself. As well, the only thing I had downloaded was the modified opera mini that's being floated around and some variant of angry birds from umnet. That's it, Nothing else. I'm of the notion that the email app on this lg840g isn't wrapped too tight as far as security and perhaps one of these apps was the culprit along with it.

I've since removed the email account from the device and won't add it to the device again. At this point, I simply do not trust that it is safe to use nor do I believe the end users best interests are in mind from the carrier itself. At least with this particular device. I don't know if it's a test market or what but it's screwy. Have also removed the opera mini mod and the dumb game. Since then i have gotten absolutely 0 spam when I go to log into my email on my pc.

So...just my latest experience. Do with it as you wish but do be careful with these apps.

I think that these platforms that marketed the device as app compatible were rather misinforming the consumer. There are no certified and safe apps that I have found any place at all for this device unless they come from some third party author. I've found nothing at all that has been useful or vetted any place at all to get genuine apps for this device.

Be careful is all I'm saying.

I've been back and forth with this device but I'm thinking now that it simply isn't worth keeping any more. I think this is the straw that ends up breaking the camels back. What little bit that it does actually do, I simply don't feel comfortable with it handling my data. I just don't trust it. Am also rather disturbed with the sales pitches we were fed regarding the ability to install and use meaningful apps. This is absolutely not the case at all. all you really can install are third party apps that you have no idea at all who wrote them. And even then all you have are a few knockoffs of games and whatnot that really shouldn't be trusted to run on a device with what appears to be an unprotected email app on it.

This device is clearly not supported by major application dealers. Just look at the nonsense they make you go through with modifiying everything. Something is wrong there.

I may get that Samsung Galaxy II through net10 but am curious if the email app on that would be fudged with in any manner if i used net10. Will have to do some research, I think, from other users. At least the apps that are made for that android device are official and not half baked to conform to a shoddy phone and I stand a chance at actually doing something about it if my data is infringed upon because of careless coding.

One big thing that i haven't seen anyone gripe about is that when you delete all of your text messages and then go to "create new message" through the texting platform, click the empty window and type something, click ok, click send to, click the menu tab in the top right hand corner, click "recent recipients", --- it gives you the names of everyone you have texted a message to. Normally, that's ok but the problem is that I see th same names listed several times. So it's tracking and logging those communications individually...even though technically you deleted the texts. Now, if there are the same names listed several times then in my opinion the data isn't gone from the device and each communication is still logged some place. There is no way to delete the list of recent recipients short of a master clear. This is a tracfone shenanigan, I think since it's an additional list beyond the normal contact list that already comes up if you go to send a text. The extra step of tapping that menu shows that this data is being stored and out of management from the end user. If I had simply picked one of the contacts that automatically display when I tap "send to" instead of tapping the menu up in the corner I never would have noticed it. So essentially, the fact that the contact list itself comes up, I'm ok with. That's normal. The fact that by tapping the menu up in the corner to check "recent recipients" exposes several of your contacts listed several times means that something else is going on there. I think the contact list is sufficient without the need for the extra data mining on the carriers part. Especially with these fly by night apps who seem to be able to access things we cannot. Some other questions regarding that as well but as I said, it's just not a device that I trust with my personal data any longer.

This device is way smarter than the "dumb phone" tag it's been given, I think. Just not for the benefit of the end user.

watsonk

tfuser19
December 27, 2012, 5:23 pm
watsonk

1) I've downloaded and installed several different versions of UC browser on both an unactivated LG840G (unsigned versions) and a Samsung S390G (signed versions) and I've never seen any Chinese characters being displayed, it's been plain old English. I've been using UC browser for about a month now on my S390G and several weeks on the LG 840G.

UC has just released version 8.8 for Java phones on December 25, which is newer than the version 8.7 that I'm guessing you tried and I'd been using successfully for a while. I have since upgraded both phones to version 8.8 without any issues.

2) I don't recall seeing the browser go into communication mode on either phone previously, nor on the 25th when I installed version 8.8 on both phones.

3) What did you have to do from the browser to get to "links to sexy female photos and related news"? I don't recall seeing this.
When I use the UC browser, I specify the URLs I want to go to by entering them or picking them from my favorites list. The browser has never taken me somewhere I did not want to go or expected to go.

====================

UC Browser is being used by 400 million people globally. We must all be nuts. :) ;) :)

I like this browser better than the native browser, the now defunct Bolt, and Opera Mini 7.1. Based on my usage experience, the UC browser is significantly more responsive than all of the others I've tried and has a load of nice features.

For anyone wanting to try the browser on a LG840G, use the signed links unless your phone is not activated yet. If you use the unsigned links, expect the "Alert - Untrusted Midlet" every time you click on a new link.

If you want to give version this browser a test drive and don't want to spend time modifying the .jad file yourself, you could just install the Signed UC Browser 8.7 using your phone browser and be done using the following link from Dennis Bournique's blog site (http://blog.wapreview.com/16898/)using the .jad file he modified and hosted for us:
http://is.gd/uc87touch

If you want the latest UC Browser version 8.8, click on the appropriate .jad file from your mobile browser, or download the .jad and .jar files to your PC, then Bluetooth or e-mail them to your phone, then click on the .jad file. If you do not modify the .jad file, you will see the LG virtual keyboard, which is unnecessary with the LG840G touchscreen.

Latest Unsigned Java Version JAD and JAR mobile link:
http://wap.ucweb.com/index.php?product=ucbrowser&platform=69&java_platform=true&lang=english

Latest Signed Java Version JAD and JAR mobile link:
http://wap.ucweb.com/index.php?product=ucbrowser&platform=70&java_platform=true&lang=english

Latest Signed and Unsigned Java Version JAD and JAR PC links (to download to your PC, then transfer to your phone):
http://www.ucweb.com/English/UCbrowser/platform.html?platform=java
Unsigned-> Universal version for Java
Signed-> Signed version for Java
note that for each version, there are separate links for the .jad and the .jar files

Instructions on how to get rid of the LG keypad by modifying the JAD file with a text editor:

http://blog.wapreview.com/16898/

Since my LG840G is not activated yet, I cannot confirm this, but I believe downloading the signed .jad and .jar files to your PC, transferring them both to your phone, then clicking on the .jad file while the phone should install the signed application. I have installed the untrusted versions onto my unactivated LG840G after transferring the .jad and .jar from PC to phone for sure without WiFi connected until I open the browser.

Like any other software out there, it's not perfect - but it's damn good!. If there is anyone else who has not posted in this thread yet using or previously tried UC Browser, or gives it a try, please post your opinion about it.
I downloaded the signed jar and jad files from UCWEB website using the link. Here are my findings:

1) UCBrowser_V8.8.1.252_Java_pf70_(Build12122410).jar

This version works as though it is "unsigned".
Because it works like unsigned, it is not useful for me with or without the virtual keypad.

2) UCBrowser_V8.8.1.252_Java_pf70_(Build12122410).jad

This version works "signed" with virtual keypad.

When I added the lines as detailed in wapreview.com to get rid of the virtual keypad, the installation was aborted with
the following error: "The size of the download content does not match the descriptor".

watsonk

ranndumb
December 28, 2012, 12:01 am
tfuser19:
I followed your instructions and downloaded the latest UC Mobile Browser (signed Ver.8.8.1). After modifying the
JAD file I transferred the file to my activated LG840G and installed the browser. When you first run the browser you
must agree to their terms and I noticed they have you automatically opt in to a service for browser improvement of
some type. Since it wasn't clear what the service was, I unchecked the box and opted out.

Other than that, I'm very impressed with the browser. I also have Opera Mini 7.1 and I now prefer the UC Browser
as my new favorite... I especially like all the built-in mobile links for Top Sites, News, Tech, Sports, and Shopping.

When browsing the web on a small screen, I find it much easier to navigate mobile sites rather than trying to navigate
around a normal web site on a small screen. Thanks for your help and everyone else who contributes to this great
thread... P.S.: I didn't see any Chinese characters or links to sexy female photos. ;)
This time, I did not see any Chinese characters in the versions that I downloaded.

The funny thing is that I got the files from the same UCWEB page.

I suspect that the UCWEB webmaster made a mistake for a brief period of time and corrected the error subsequently.

watsonk

watsonk
December 11, 2012, 10:33 pm
tracfone2004
December 11, 2012, 6:02 pm
Hi all,
I received by skin for the LG 840G today from www.fatorder.com. Lousy! Headphone jack hole slightly covered,
mic hole completely covered, and the charger will not fit thru the hole so the skin has to be removed to charge.

I have always loved the Tracfones I had in the past, but I must say that this phone and cover are both huge
disappointments to me. The phone is fair at best for reception and voice quality. All my other TF phones had
full 5 bars here in my area and this one struggles to get 4. Speaker phone function is not as loud as the LG
800G. I am just very unhappy with this entire deal.

I hope that TF is not slipping into supplying crappy phones and I say this after reading some of the comments on
the Samsung S390G. The reports on that phone are not very good. I guess I will suffer along with this phone until
TF gets something better or I get fed up and get another cell company.
Thanks for the update on the Fatorder.com skins.

I decided to buy the ones shown in eBay (Europe).
It works for LG T375 and LG T395 phones that have the same dimensions as LG 840g.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=gel+TPU+lg+t375&LH_PrefLoc=2

The price is $5.60 U.S. (including international shipping). However, even though I tried to use CapitalOne as payment (no foreign transaction fee), eBay forced the credit card payment through Paypal.

Update 12/15/12
PayPal did not charge foreign transaction fee since CapitalOne credit card did not charge any.

As for reception, my experience is totally different with the LG 840g. Both the Samsung T301g and Motorola 376g
had problems penetrating my company's walls (with bricks, steel reinforced concrete beams, piping, and electrical
wiring), but I have no problem calling or receiving calls using LG 840G's 3G technology.. The reception works just
like my colleagues' Samsung and Apple smart phones.
I finally received my gel skin from Europe for LG T375/T395 phone. Here is my review of trying to use it for LG 840g:

1) From macro point of view, the gel skin fits the circumference of the phone. It looks pretty.
2) The headphone hole is misaligned by 1.5 mm. I can still jam the headphone plug into the phone.
3) The camera hole is misaligned (right-left) by 1 mm. It still works okay and does not cause obstruction when taking a photo.
4) Mic hole is completely covered.
5) The power socket is aligned with the gel skin. However, because of the location of the power socket being so close
to the upper edge of the phone, the gel skin is creating interference with the communication cable.
One of my communication cables would fall off the socket from time to time. Another one has a stronger hold; and it
does not fall off from the power socket.
6) The ON/OFF switch is aligned with the gel skin. However, because the ON/OFF switch is not raised, one will have
a hard time waking up the phone through the gel hole... I cut a piece of sticky cushion and placed it on the ON/OFF
switch hole. It works a lot better but not aesthetically pleasing.

Fatorder.com still does not have a LG840g gel skin photo to show. Also, it is delaying shipment by 2 weeks reportedly.
Maybe it is trying to correct similar types of problems.

In my opinion, even if all the holes are aligned properly, items 5 and 6 will still cause problems.
This phone may not be suitable to use a gel skin.

tracfone2004

Watsonk ... If you order a case from fatorder and the issues have been corrected please let us know here.
The case I got from fatorder.com I threw away. Same problems you are describing. It was terrible. I will say
though that I have been using the phone daily for the last 3 or 4 weeks and I have learned to like it. It seems
ok. I have not dropped any calls, but I still think that the LG 800G phone had better sound quality and definitly
better speaker phone volume. I do really like the wifi and 3G. So it's a keeper for me until TF introduces the next
phone. It's hard to complain to loud when you get the phone, one year of service, and 1400 minutes for $99.99.
I really do like Tracfone.

watsonk

tracfone2004
December 28, 2012, 4:16 pm
Watsonk ... If you order a case from fatorder and the issues have been corrected please let us know here.
The case I got from fatorder.com I threw away. Same problems you are describing. It was terrible. I will say
though that I have been using the phone daily for the last 3 or 4 weeks and I have learned to like it. It seems
ok. I have not dropped any calls, but I still think that the LG 800G phone had better sound quality and definitly
better speaker phone volume. I do really like the wifi and 3G. So it's a keeper for me until TF introduces the next
phone. It's hard to complain to loud when you get the phone, one year of service, and 1400 minutes for $99.99.
I really do like Tracfone.
The ON/OFF switch is a big problem for the gel skin. Obviously one can make a big hole so a finger can go through
it. If the ON/OFF switch hole is made too big, it will affect the structural integrity of the gel skin. The sticky cushion is
a temporary solution. It will become a maintenance nightmare because it will fall off from time to time.

I am having a hard time with the ON/OFF switch as it is, the gel skin will create additional interference.

The mic is so close to the upper edge of the phone. The correctly aligned gel skin mic hole will be so close to the
edge of the gel skin. It will affect the gel skin structural integrity (i.e not tight fit).

I tried to cut a mic hole in the gel skin using a switch knife and ended up destroying it. I will not be getting a gel skin
for this phone.

Tarkio101

tfuser19
December 27, 2012, 5:43 pm
Tarkio101
Well, I didn't like having to use UC in portrait mode and I didn't like how it functioned with the touch screen.
It seems like the browser was good and very fast. I liked a lot of things about it, but it didn't seem like it was
a good fit for me, at least on this phone.

I used to really like Opera. But it seems like it takes up too much screen real estate. If I went in full screen,
it took another click to get back to the controls where I could really do much.

Note, it's been a month since I have used either (and I've used several versions of each, and on several
different phones) so I may be remembering some details incorrectly.

But for me, I had a lot of my favorites sites bookmarked in the Tracfone native browser, and there was really no
compelling reason to use either of the others... I tried them, but really had no compelling reason to use either.
It seems like Opera was more important to me when I was using it on a 2g phone. But on 3g or wifi, it just isn't
as important because I get good speed anyway... Hope this helps explain.

watsonk

watsonk
December 28, 2012, 3:24 pm
Quote:

I downloaded the signed jar and jad files from UCWEB website using the link. Here are my findings:

Because it works like unsigned, it is not useful for me with or without the virtual keypad.

When I added the lines as detailed in wapreview.com to get rid of the virtual keypad, the installation was aborted with
the following error: "The size of the download content does not match the descriptor".
Finally, I figured out how to eliminate the virtual keypad of the signed UC 8.8.1 version.

1) Download both (signed) jar and jad files from http://www.ucweb.com/English/UCbrowser/platform.html?platform=java
and save in a folder in PC
2) Use Notepad, add the following lines at the end of the jad file:

UseNativeTextButtons: hide
ReverseSoftkeys: hide
UseNativeCommands: hide
MIDlet-ScreenMode: ROTATE
MIDlet-Landscape-Support: true
LGE-MIDlet-Height: 400
LGE-MIDlet-Display-Mode: both

save and overwrite the jad file.

3) Do not modify the jar file.
Besides, I found that loading the jar file behaves like an unsigned version.
More importantly, if jad file is loaded, a statement called "MIDlet-Jar-Size" is looking at the size of jar file. No need to modify jar file if jad file is loaded. I want to keep the jar file the same size.

4) Via communication cable, copy both modified jad file and unmodified jar file to LG840g's "Other Files" folder of memory card.

5) Via File Manager, locate and run the jad file.

6) The installation recognizes that the UC is a signed version. Once loaded, there is no virtual keypad.

I believe my mistake was to modify both jar and jad files at the same time; and I did not update the "MIDlet-Jar-Size" parameter to reflect the new jar file size. Also, I touched the jar and jad too much, it returned an "unauthorized" complaint during loading and aborted.

blueduns

watsonk
December 29, 2012, 5:22 am
4) Via communication cable, copy both modified jad file and unmodified jar file to LG840g's "Other Files" folder of memory card.

5) Via File Manager, locate and run the jad file.

6) The installation recognizes that the UC is a signed version. Once loaded, there is no virtual keypad.

I believe my mistake was to modify both jar and jad files at the same time; and I did not update the "MIDlet-Jar-Size" parameter
to reflect the new jar file size... Also, I touched the jar and jad too much, it returned an "unauthorized" complaint during loading
and aborted.
are you sure that the JAR file is needed?

looks like from this line in the JAD file:

MIDlet-Jar-URL: http://wap.dls.ucweb.com/files/UCBrowser/en-us/354/UCBrowser_V8.8.1.252_Java_pf69_

that the JAD looks to ucweb to get the JAR for the install.

or does it default to the JAR file in the phone if one is or isn't online? this can be tested I think.

and in this line:

MIDlet-Install-Notify: http://wap.dls.ucweb.com/index.php?action=InstallNotify&d=20121230yo25r5M5D5Xh:

is someone, somewhere notified of the install and who installed it?

BD

tfuser19

blueduns
December 29, 2012, 11:28 am
are you sure that the JAR file is needed? ........
BD,
I prefer to download both the JAD and JAR files to my computer, edit the JAD file if necessary, then transfer them
to my phone. My experience has been that if both files are in the same folder on your phone, then when you click
on the JAD file to install the application, the application will get installed from the phone using the JAR files that's
already on the phone. If the JAR file is not there, then it will get retrieved from the server using the link in the JAD
file.

I believe that when you install JAD file via via phone or download them to your PC, the server you downloaded or
installed from records certain information about your phone such as the model, operating system, etc.. I don't think
this is a big deal and I imagine it is standard across industry.

tfuser19

Tarkio101 ..... Thanks for sharing you thoughts on UC and Opera Mini.

From what I've read on the UC forum, they are working on supporting landscape mode in future versions of the
UC browser.
Tarkio101
December 28, 2012, 9:46 pm
tfuser19
December 27, 2012, 5:43 pm
Tarkio101
Well, I didn't like having to use UC in portrait mode and I didn't like how it functioned with the touch screen.
It seems like the browser was good and very fast. I liked a lot of things about it, but it didn't seem like it was
a good fit for me, at least on this phone.

I used to really like Opera. But it seems like it takes up too much screen real estate. If I went in full screen,
it took another click to get back to the controls where I could really do much.

Note, it's been a month since I have used either (and I've used several versions of each, and on several
different phones) so I may be remembering some details incorrectly.

But for me, I had a lot of my favorites sites bookmarked in the Tracfone native browser, and there was really no
compelling reason to use either of the others... I tried them, but really had no compelling reason to use either.
It seems like Opera was more important to me when I was using it on a 2g phone. But on 3g or wifi, it just isn't
as important because I get good speed anyway... Hope this helps explain.

tfuser19

watsonk,

As you discovered, the signed JAD file is required to install a signed application, and must be paired with the
associated JAR file (contains the executable application code) exactly.

Also, repeating this for the benefit of others, there is absolutely no need to modify the JAR file for the UC browser
installation, unless one likes to do things the hard way, and doing so will led to the problems you cited below.

I'm glad you've got it all sorted out now.
watsonk
..I downloaded the signed jar and jad files from UCWEB website using the link. Here are my findings:

When I added the lines as detailed in wapreview.com to get rid of the virtual keypad, the installation was
aborted with the following error: "The size of the download content does not match the descriptor".

tfuser19

ranndumb,
I'm glad to read that the instructions were followable and thanks for your feedback that you like the UC browser.

I opted out of the service for browser improvement too.

Just in case you have not figured this out, with the touch version of UC, if you tap near the top of the screen,
you can scroll up a page, and similarly tap down to go page down.

Installing this browser on a non-touch phone gives you the ability to program shortcut keys to various functions
including paging up and down.

Be sure to check out the User Guide and other userful information under Settings->Help->Learn More .
ranndumb
December 28, 2012, 12:01 am
tfuser19:

tfuser19

QVC has the LG840G Tracfone 3G Wi-Fi Touchscreen w/ 1400 Mins, & Triple Minutes with bonus car charger and case for $99.96 shipped

watsonk

tfuser19
December 29, 2012, 3:50 pm
watsonk,

As you discovered, the signed JAD file is required to install a signed application, and must be paired with the
associated JAR file (contains the executable application code) exactly.

Also, repeating this for the benefit of others, there is absolutely no need to modify the JAR file for the UC browser
installation, unless one likes to do things the hard way, and doing so will led to the problems you cited below.

I'm glad you've got it all sorted out now.
I am not a Java programmer. I was reporting what I had discovered through many trial & error attempts.
My findings are as follows:

1) As of last night, the downloaded UC 8.8.1 (signed version) jad works as signed with virtual keypad in LG 840g.

2) The downloaded UC 8.8.1 (signed version) jar runs with virtual keypad, except that it behaves like an "unsigned"
version. This could be the problem why I struggled. Therefore, either version of the jar (with or without virtual keypad)
is not good for me.

3) Now, the only option is to modify the jad file to get rid of the virtual keypad. I made the mistake of modifying both
jad and jar files at the same time and downloaded them to the phone. Apparently, the jad file is looking at the file
size of jar file and aborted my installation.

4) Through trial & error, I discovered that adding the lines to the jad file alone and installing the jad file will get it
working (i.e. UC 8.8.1 signed version without virtual keypad). I have the unmodified jar file at the phone as well.

I played with UC 8.8.1 (signed) for a while. My impression is as follows:

1) Home page has better organization than Opera Mini. I can find and get to useful websites faster from the home screen.

2) Unlike Opera Mini, it does not have QWERTY keypad support; even though I configured it to use QWERTY keypad,
the T9 keypad keeps coming up.

3) Does not support landscape mode.

4) Similar to Opera Mini, it does not play video. Only the native Tracfone browser plays video.

tfuser19

watsonk
December 29, 2012, 5:22 pm
4) Through trial & error, I discovered that adding the lines to the jad file alone and installing the jad file will get it
working (i.e. UC 8.8.1 signed version without virtual keypad). I have the unmodified jar file at the phone as well.
Yep, as I wrote in response to your weather application instructions and later in my post on how to install UC browser,
one needs to modify only the JAD file. Messing with the JAR file absolutely unnecessary and will most likely lead to
failure :'( when trying to install a signed application unless you are a programmer or expert hacker.

watsonk

tfuser19
December 29, 2012, 8:08 pm
watsonk
Yep, as I wrote in response to your weather application instructions and later in my post on how to install UC browser,
one needs to modify only the JAD file. Messing with the JAR file absolutely unnecessary and will most likely lead to
failure :'( when trying to install a signed application unless you are a programmer or expert hacker.
You are correct on Weather 1.2.6.
Following your method, I modified only the weather240.jad file (to eliminate the virtual keypad). Copy both the
modified jad and unmodified jar files to the phone. Install the jad file. It is working without modifying the jar file.

RoamingGnome

tfuser19
December 29, 2012, 8:08 pm
watsonk
In case anyone wanted to know;

From something I read about creating Java ME apps.

... the size of the 'program.jar' file, and put that value in this JAD file, in actual bytes. It is very important to
get this exactly right, as the installation of this MIDlet will fail if this value is different from the actual size.

I bring this up, as a caution with editing the JAR file. The JAD related to the JAR has the bytes already calculated on
how big the program is... If that changes, by even one byte, then it will probably have issues at it's value has been
changed from the initial compile of the JAR with the corresponding JAD file.

adhdphonenut
Member Avatar

Great phone, my son loves his -- I gave it to him for Xmas -- he'll be a minimal user, imagine that, I must have
one of the only college kids that hardly ever uses his phone lol - anyway, the native browser works great, love
the responsiveness of the touch screen. TF's "internet" helped us out in a pinch with directions over the holidays.
Thumbs up!

tfuser19

Happy New Year Everyone!

eBay seller alkala2003 in Spain is listing two different styles of LG840G gel skins .

I have not seen the S-line style LG 840G cases until today. I believe the ones people have reported on so far are
the diamond pattern style.

I'm not sure if the listed diamond style cases are any different than the LG T375/T395 that people here have bought
and reported as having holes not lining up correctly with the LG 840Gs ..... I'll find out in a few weeks when I receive
my order from Spain and post back here.

Urge

I want to install the ESPN Score Center App on the LG 840G, but it wants to know what kind of phone I have.

After I identify the brand, it gives me a choice of the following phones...
LG 800G, Samsung GT M8800 Pixon, LG MG810, LG 620G, LG 420G, LG 900G, LF Optimus Pad,
LG GT540 Swift, LG Viper 4G LTE, and LG U830.

I am clueless as to which phone is the one I should choose. What category of cell phone does the LG 840G fall under?

Urge

cpw
Member Avatar
cpw
Try using the LG 800g. That is the phone before the 840g... Hope that helps. :)

Urge

I also wanted to download the latest version of the UC Browser but it asked me a . similar question...
"Download by platform Android, iPhone, iPad, WP, Java, Symbian, Blackberry, WM(PPC/SP)"

I am guessing that I want to DL the Java version. What kind of phone is the LG 840G considered?

Thanks for helping an uneducated cell phone noob.

Thanks cpw, I'll try the LG 800g version.

Urge

cpw
Member Avatar
cpw
No problem.. I'm new to a lot of this too, but I've learned many things from this forum. Use the JAVA platform for
your downloads. When you have time, if you read through these pages you will learn a lot from the people who
have more technical knowledge than we do. Have fun playing with your phone! :D

Urge

What do master reset and master clear do? i.e. do they delete files you have added to the phone? I installed the
moddedversionsof Opera mini, UC Browser, a weather app and Mobile Gmaps. They were all working perfectly
until last night. Now, when I try to load them they stop part way thru the process and show a blank version of the
programs interface.

I have also loaded a video that I downloaded from Youtube and converted with Any Video Converter(it looks great
in full screen). and additionally I loaded 20 .mp3s and they all play with no problems... So, the video and audio are
still working fine but the apps all fail to load completely. I checked the phone's memory and that is not an issue. The
apps, music and video are all stored on the micro sd card and it still has 1.5 gigs available.

Anyone have any thoughts on this problem?

Urge

blueduns

Urge
January 3, 2013, 5:54 pm
What do master reset and master clear do? i.e. do they delete files you have added to the phone? I installed the
moddedversionsof Opera mini, UC Browser, a weather app and Mobile Gmaps. They were all working perfectly
until last night. Now, when I try to load them they stop part way thru the process and show a blank version of the
programs interface.

I have also loaded a video that I downloaded from Youtube and converted with Any Video Converter(it looks great
in full screen). and additionally I loaded 20 .mp3s and they all play with no problems... So, the video and audio are
still working fine but the apps all fail to load completely. I checked the phone's memory and that is not an issue. The
apps, music and video are all stored on the micro sd card and it still has 1.5 gigs available.

Anyone have any thoughts on this problem?

Urge
I would delete all the Apps first and reload one at a time with sufficient testing time in between.
If true they were all working perfectly maybe the last one loaded broke the camel's back.
If you reload the first one and it won't work I would do the master reset or clear:

Reset Settings: This function allows you to restore factory settings. To do this, you need the security code.

Master Reset: Restores the settings (e.g.: Audio, Display, Language, Bluetooth Settings) stored in the
handset memory to default values.

Master Clear: Deletes downloaded or user created contents (e.g.: images, videos) from the phone and the
external memory card.

Phone
-- Deletes all downloaded or user Images, Videos & Sounds from the phone memory.
-- Deletes personal information stored in the handset memory (e.g.: address book, messages, tasks, alarm,
Calendar schedules) to default values.

Memory Card: Deletes all contents from the external memory card.

BD

Urge

Hey bd, thanks for that info!... Could I remove the memory card before I do the reset? So reset only changes
phone settings back to the default? Would doing that delete my bluetooth settings for my devices or the wifi
settings for the networks I am on? I am going to remove all the apps as you suggest and reinstall.

I loaded these apps over several days and used all of them multiple times with no problems. Last night I loaded
approx. .5 gigs of audio .mp3 files and they (at least the ones I tried) played with no issues... Earlier yesterday, I
loaded and played a youtube video with nothing untoward happening.. If I do a master clear it won't take out my
minutes or activation will it?

bd, I'm curious where you found that info?

Urge

sweetiepoosmom
Member Avatar

I finally activated my 840g yesterday... The entire process of porting my telephone number, minutes, days and then the
year and 1550 minutes (I don't know why, but I'm not complaining) from the other company took about 5 minutes on my
land line! Bluetoothed my contacts and some pictures of my dog.

NOW, here's the problem = I tried several times to pair the 840g with my Samsung HF1000 Bluetooth Car Kit -- no cigar.
The Bluetooth didn't find the Samsung, no matter what I did. It did find something called "VERO" but even when I put the
code for the Samsung in -- still no cigar.

Any ideas about how to pair the phone with the handsfree car speaker. I had no problem pairing the 800g with it before!

Thanks.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ sweetiepoosmom

Some pages back on this topic I posted my experience hooking my LG 840G to my vehicle (2012 Nissan Frontier),
which did not involve any adapters or kits. I also posted a site that listed compatible phones with specific makes of
cars. You can start with the one below.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/bluetooth-compatibility.html

The LG 840G was not listed for my vehicle, but it works anyway as far as voice dialing and making and receiving
hands-free calls. It does not, however, play music over the Bluetooth. .

Usually you have to put one device in discovery mode, and search for it with the other device. In addition, some
devices will require a code to be input.

Not all Bluetooth devices will necessarily work together because there may be different Bluetooth versions for
different devices. Different car manufacturers have different systems. And different phone manufacturers may be
incompatible with other manufacturer's devices.

sweetiepoosmom
Member Avatar

DoctorM
January 4, 2013, 10:44 pm
@ sweetiepoosmom

Some pages back on this topic I posted my experience hooking my LG 840G to my vehicle (2012 Nissan Frontier),
which did not involve any adapters or kits. I also posted a site that listed compatible phones with specific makes of
cars. You can start with the one below.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/bluetooth-compatibility.html

The LG 840G was not listed for my vehicle, but it works anyway as far as voice dialing and making and receiving
hands-free calls. It does not, however, play music over the Bluetooth. .

Usually you have to put one device in discovery mode, and search for it with the other device. In addition, some
devices will require a code to be input.

Not all Bluetooth devices will necessarily work together because there may be different Bluetooth versions for
different devices. Different car manufacturers have different systems. And different phone manufacturers may be
incompatible with other manufacturer's devices.
Doc,

This is a unit that you attach to the visor above the windshield. I wish that it was an installed car bluetooth speaker.

I'll keep trying and hope that I can get it to pair.
I may try calling Samsung and ask for help/advice -- if they'll even take the call.

I'm also going to post on the Yahoo Tracfone group.

Another question: Has anyone determined the manufacturer and size of the largest Micro SDHC Flash Card that
the 840g will successfully accommodate? I read somewhere that it may be 32GB!!!

Urge

sweetiepoosmom wrote...
Quote:

Has anyone determined the manufacturer and size of the largest Micro SDHC Flash Card that the 840g will successfully accommodate?
32 Gigs, I don't believe it matters which manufacturer you use. I bought a 32 gig Sandisk card from Newegg.

Urge

sweetiepoosmom
Member Avatar

Urge
January 4, 2013, 11:20 pm
sweetiepoosmom wrote...
Quote:

Has anyone determined the manufacturer and size of the largest Micro SDHC Flash Card that the 840g will successfully accommodate?
32 Gigs, I don't believe it matters which manufacturer you use. I bought a 32 gig Sandisk card from Newegg.

Urge
Wow! That's HUGE in the world of Tracfones. ; - )
I'm going to buy Sandisk, too. I always had good luck with their products.

Thanks.

sweetiepoosmom
Member Avatar

OK, I finally got the Samsungs to pair with the LG 840g. (I have 2 -- 2 cars). But now one of them is set for
Chinese language. It's always something isn't it... Ya' gotta' love technology NOT, sometimes.

sweetiepoosmom
Member Avatar

sweetiepoosmom
January 4, 2013, 11:59 pm
OK, I finally got the Samsungs to pair with the LG 840g. (I have 2 -- 2 cars). But now one of them is set for
Chinese language. It's always something isn't it... Ya' gotta' love technology NOT, sometimes.
Yeah! I finally got English back... I don't speak Chinese and it would take some time to become fluent.

Urge

I took blueduns suggestion about the problem I wrote about in post 763. First I uninstalled all the apps that I had
loaded. I tried installing them one at a time and testing them but every one still had the same problems. Then I
did a master reset and tried installing the apps one at a time but still no joy. Finally I did a master clear and that
did the trick.

I loaded all the apps(one at a time) except the mgmaps app. and they all worked. Initially I had loaded the mgmaps
app last and several people were using the Opera mini browser, the UC browser and the Weather V1.02.06 app
together so I thought others would be having issues if it was one of those.

I haven't tried to reinstall mgmaps because I didn't want to start over for a third time. I don't know if mgmaps was the
problem but my phone is working well right now. I really wanted to use mgmaps because you could make your own
maps and store them on the phone to use if you were somewhere lost with no cell phone reception(obviously I don't
have gps in my vehicles). Has anyone else successfully used mgmaps?

Thanks blueduns!

Urge

Tech
Member Avatar

I haven't been watching this thread lately so I don't know if anyone has successfully applied album art for the music player. I've really only been using this device as an mp3 player since my last posting so I'll share what I've found to bee the easiest means of applying art to the thing.

Note: you must already have album art for each album in your collection. You might have a "folder.jpg" in each albums folder that you downloaded yourself or if you use something like Microsoft's Media Player, you might have automatically downloaded album art in each folder named something like: "AlbumArt_{0C2xxxx}_Large.jpg", etc. If you relied on Microsoft Media Player to get your album art, the files it downloaded are probably hidden so you'll want to show hidden files from within explorer to make sure the art exists for each album (click: Tools menu, Folder Options, View tab, Show hidden files/folders from explorer to unhide). Whatever your album art type, you just need to know the file names stored in each album folder for the art.

Download the free MP3Tag from http://www.mp3tag.de/en/.

Install and run MP3Tag.

Select the directory with your digital music files (File-Change Directory) and select the folder with your music.
MP3Tag will then load all of your music files.

Select the first song in the media list on the right, then press "Actions (Quick) tab in the tool bar to get the "Select Action Type" dialog.

Choose "Import Cover From File" in the drop-down list, then press OK.

In the "Format string for image filename" field, type your album art filename here. (e.g. folder.jpg, cover.jpg or Name.jpg etc) this would be the wmp album art. I used the large album art and it didn't affect size too much at all.

Posted Image

If you want to replace existing cover art already embedded in one or more of your MP3 ID3 tags click the "delete existing cover art" option.

Click OK and let MP3Tag import your cover art for every one of your MP3 files.
Keep in mind that when you embed the cover art into your music file, the size of your music file grows by the size of that cover image.

Once you've finished this, you can delete any of the individual photo files and just leave the mp3 files with the cover art embedded.

Source: http://www.geektonic.com/2008/02/automatically-embed-album-art-to-large.html

It's a very small program with no hogging of resources and without adware/spyware. No issues with the software that I've seen...and I've looked. ^o)

I managed to add art to 200 mp3 files in a little under and hour simply tagging them from the existing art from WMP on my PC.

Also, if you see that you maybe added, I don't know, let's say 100 songs. Then when you disconnect the device from your PC and then go to check the device, it often times won't list them all. Removing the battery is the quickest fix. Turning off the device and then back on doesn't solve it.

Note..if you delete any songs from the device then the sd card still retains the art in the album art folder for the song that was deleted. You have to manually delete that art file. If you find that some art doesn't display for albums...which I did...just delete the song with the issue and paste it into the given folder again using the data cable. That solved that minor issue.

Good luck. I still don't like the phone though because of the backdoor shenanigans with the text and browser applications but it's a pretty good video/mp3 player if nothing else for me so, I'll keep it for that.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@tech
Very nice post and good information on album art, especially the file editing software (I downloaded a copy and
will be trying it out.)

Isn't amazing how many problems are solved by removing the battery. :D

watsonk

In my earlier posting, I mentioned that I had slightly under 2,000 titles (maximum limit) stored in the SDHC card.
The titles occupy less than 7 GB; thus, my 32 GB SDHC card is an overkill. I will use the extra space for video files instead.

After playing with the Music Player for a week, I learned the following:

1) Do not copy (i.e. copy and paste) the music folder from your PC to the phone directly using communication cable. This will cause all the hidden album.jpg files (3 per album) to show up in the phone's Pictures tool. Use the SYNC feature (in Library tab) of Windows Media Player to transfer files instead. The SYNC method will not transfer the 3 hidden albumart files per album.

2) If the transferred mp3 files (via SYNC) do not have embedded album arts, then the transferred album and associated songs will not show album art.

3) One way is to copy album art to the associated album folder of the phone. The album art should be named albumart.jpg. This method will cause album art to show up for each song. Unfortunately, there are cons:
a) When songs are sorted by album, the small albumart icon (or thumbnail) in front of the album title will not appear as the actual albumart using this "albumart.jpg" method. A generic icon will show up instead.
b) All the albumart.jpg files will show up once (instead of 3 times) in Pictures tool as though they are pictures. This causes clutter in the Pictures tool.

4) The best way is to have album art embedded in each song. Then using SYNC, the albums (songs) are transferred to the phone. The pros are:
a) Each song will have album art.
b) Each album will have album art. When sorted by album, the small albumart thumbnail will show up in front of the album title.
c) No need for albumart.jpg files in album folders. They can be deleted. As result, they do not clutter the Pictures tool.

There are many third party tools or utilities to embed albumart into songs. I used Windows Media Player to embed albumart into songs. See my earlier posting for details.

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
January 6, 2013, 8:04 pm
@tech
Very nice post and good information on album art, especially the file editing software (I downloaded a copy and
will be trying it out.)

Isn't amazing how many problems are solved by removing the battery. :D
Yep. Screwy....

It only does that when you transfer a crapload of stuff at one time though. Like when you copy and past a hundred
or so songs to the devices sd card at once. If you transfer the bulk of what you want to transfer a little at a time then
it doesn't fail to recognize the art and it's a one shot deal without issue.

One more thing while I'm thinking of it. I've read several people saying they just drop their music in the audio folder
and run with it.

This is not the most efficient means for the device to process them and maintain information and all of that.

I have a folder in the audio folder named "Music". In that "Music" folder, I have folders for every artist.
Each artists folder has all of the songs corresponding to them inside of those folders.

So, in effect, subfolders work great and really speeds things up, I've found... It's just good practice to keep things
organized in my opinion. A place for everything and everything in it's place works well.

Tech
Member Avatar

watsonk
January 7, 2013, 2:24 am
1) Do not copy (i.e. copy and paste) the music folder from your PC to the phone directly using communication
cable. This will cause all the hidden album.jpg files (3 per album) to show up in the phone's Pictures tool. Use
the SYNC feature (in Library tab) of Windows Media Player to transfer files instead. The SYNC method will not
transfer the 3 hidden albumart files per album.
I used the cable and it worked fine. Of course, the mp3's already had the art embedded using the software.
I have art icons for all albums without junk being placed in the pictures folder.

I guess you could do it different ways but the thing with WMP is that it's much like Windows Update.
It kind of has it's own mind and often does what it thinks is the correct action but relly it starts to run amok.

I found that WMP likes to scatter things about in a manner in which it can function how it thinks is best but in
effect, it may not be the best as far as organizing on a device. I tried using it but it started creating lists and all
of that which made things confusing when you just want to get the job done quick and easy wtithout having to
go back and go through everything it changed....incorrectly, I would add.

Can do it however way one wants though. I like quick and easy without clutter and having to second guess
WMP myself.

Once I embedded the art to the mp3 and put it on the device I deleted all of the art that WMP had downloaded to
the folders... Many of which I had to go back and correct with the right album art before embedding into the mp3
because it decided on it's own what album the song was on and many of them were not correct. Too much hassle
for me... Why do you even need the art that WMP added cluttering up your computer once your mp3's have art
embedded into them? Once it's embedded you can just delete the junk and then the mp3's maintain the art on your
computer without any use for the stuff.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ Tech
Can you determine whether the 840G is sorting on the music title or the file name (the 800G sorts on file name).
I can't tell because I made them both identical on all my music.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Well, its official - I have committed to the LG 840G,

and my old 800G (TMFL) will be handed down to my youngest to replace her 800G (DMFL).

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
January 7, 2013, 6:37 pm
@ Tech
Can you determine whether the 840G is sorting on the music title or the file name (the 800G sorts on file name).
I can't tell because I made them both identical on all my music.
Well...it depends upon how organized the user is. That's one of the reasons I'd mentioned what I did in the previous post. If the end user is normally sloppy with naming files and filling in the details of the files then the device will copy exactly how the file is organized on the computer because it simply files music relative to the exact information on the mp3 from the computer...if that makes sense.

If I tap the albums tab on the device, a list of Album names is displayed with the album cover.

If I tap the artists tab on the device, a list of artists is displayed (tapping a given artist will then yield the respective albums by name that you have on your device and then tapping on the album name from there will yield the songs by name on the given album).

If I tap All songs tab then a list of songs on the device will be displayed by name.

So, the file system of the device functions off of the information on the actual mp3 from the computer. If the information is tidy on the mp3 on the computer before transferring to the device then the device will organize accordingly.

So, that said...here's how to make sure that the device is organized correctly to file itself a few different ways (which it does well if your mp3's are tidy on the computer before transfer).

I'll just use a typical mp3 on my computer as an example. I'll pick "Mr. Rainmaker" just because it's my favorite song on the planet. B-)

1 - The name of the file should say "Mr. Rainmaker.mp3

2 - Right click the file and then select "properties".

3 - Select "details" tab and then review the information to make sure it's thorough.

4 - In this case the details should be as follows -- And these fields are editable if they are not correct or blank.

Title: Mr. Rainmaker
Contributing Artist: Warrant
Album Artist: Warrant
Album: Cherry Pie

If any of those are left blank then you'll start to get unknown album, unknown artist and all of that on the device. If you have more than one song that is on the same album then they should all reflect the same information with the song title being the exception.

This is what the device reads from the file when it is added from the computer. Since everything was in it's place with Mr. Rainmaker then everything is sunshine on the device and it's able to organize correctly by artist, album and song. 3 different ways.

Works....

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ Tech
That was a long winding answer that left me bewildered -- So I'll answer my own question

I changed the File Name of "Zorba the Greek" to "1 - Zorba the Greek" which is the way it would have been ripped off a CD -- with the "1" representing the sequence number of the song on the CD. The Song Title remained "Zorba the Greek." So now I have a music file with a different file name than the Song Title.

Then I activated the Music Player, and the list of songs contained "Zorba the Greek" -- verifying that The 840G's music player sorts on Song Title -- i.e., the alphabetic list that displays when the music player is activated. (In contrast, the 800G's music player sorts on File Name, not Song Title).

However, when the 840G's music folder is accessed through the File Manager ([::] > File Manager > Audio (microSD) > Music (if that's where you put your music files) ) then that list is sorted by File Name.

So the Music Player in the 840G is better than the music player in the 800G in that it does sort on Song Title, making it unnecessary to change file names (which was required in the 800G)

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
January 7, 2013, 9:34 pm
@ Tech
That was a long winding answer that left me bewildered -- So I'll answer my own question

I changed the File Name of "Zorba the Greek" to "1 - Zorba the Greek" which is the way it would have been ripped off a CD -- with the "1" representing the sequence number of the song on the CD. The Song Title remained "Zorba the Greek." So now I have a music file with a different file name than the Song Title.

Then I activated the Music Player, and the list of songs contained "Zorba the Greek" -- verifying that The 840G's music player sorts on Song Title -- i.e., the alphabetic list that displays when the music player is activated. (In contrast, the 800G's music player sorts on File Name, not Song Title).

However, when the 840G's music folder is accessed through the File Manager ([::] > File Manager > Audio (microSD) > Music (if that's where you put your music files) ) then that list is sorted by File Name.

So the Music Player in the 840G is better than the music player in the 800G in that it does sort on Song Title, making it unnecessary to change file names (which was required in the 800G)
Yes, I figgered it would. It's not really confusing once you do it that way though. You'll find that the 840g organizes a few different ways and ultimately they synergize into a universal template.

Instead of renaming the file 1- Zorba the Greek, you should have just left it the way it was as simply Zorba the Greek and then right clicked on the file and went to the "details" tab as I showed previously because there is also an option to edit the track number there along with the other stuff that I noted. You could have just editited it to say track 1 in the track number box and then you don't have the "1" before the song title messing up the alphabetical file organization as it's meant to function on the device in the "all songs" menu. Plus it messes up a few other things that you won't find until you stumble across them. Technically, there is no such song name as 1 - Zorba The Great so then there would be no way to properly synergize with the conforming album and artist names (and this is important in scope because the device's music player has an extended file system as far as organization goes).

Didn't mean to be so long with the previous explanation but I just wanted to explain it in a manner that, if applied accordingly, really does guarantee a clean and organized file system on the device and lets the device's media player show you what it can do. It can do a lot, really. And well.

Suppose that one right clicks on an R.E.M. mp3 and selects "details. Look at what you can edit here. You can click on any of the lines in this dialogue box and edit them. This is what the device itself uses to organize once the files are tranfered to it.

Posted Image

The thing is that if you leave it as "1-Zorba The Great" then the device will list it first in the "all songs" list on the phone when in fact, it should be listed last because technically it starts with a Z when entitled correctly.

If you try it my way, you'll have a much cleaner and accurate file system on the device and will see that it runs much better too.

tfuser19

tfuser19
December 31, 2012, 8:34 pm
Happy New Year Everyone!

eBay seller alkala2003 in Spain is listing two different styles of LG840G gel skins .

I have not seen the S-line style LG 840G cases until today. I believe the ones people have reported on so far are
the diamond pattern style.

I'm not sure if the listed diamond style cases are any different than the LG T375/T395 that people here have bought
and reported as having holes not lining up correctly with the LG 840Gs ..... I'll find out in a few weeks when I receive
my order from Spain and post back here.
Okay, so they arrived here faster than I expected.

I just received my 3 cases (two different styles) sold as LG 840G cases from this same seller "alkala2003"
(store: t Toys) and they don't fit :O without risking slicing yourself with a utility knife to enlarge the headphone
jack hole and the microphone hole (next to the microUSB connector). Also see other fit issues noted below. :(
The covers I bought were listed as LG 840G cases, but the package inserts all say T395/T375.. :'(

The volume buttons don't line up with the corresponding recessed areas on the side of the skin, so pushing either
volume up or down with the cover on is causing the volume to go down most of the time and will be an annoyance
to get used to.

Since the power switch is recessed so far down from the edge of the cover hole, it requires way too much effort to push.

Buyer beware, these covers are not usable out of the box and are a huge disappointment fit-wise :-/ , but will
protect the phone with some modifications.

I've been spoiled by my perfect fitting LG 800G and Samsung S390G skin covers.

tfuser19

Working modified signed google maps 2.3.2 for LG 840G... Better grab it before it disappears:

From this review: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3NRMJ3X4X3KZX

Download zip to your PC, unzip the JAD and JAR files and USB them to your phone, then install the app by clicking on the JAD file.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28943990/LG840g_Apps/lg840g_googlemaps.zip

Tech
Member Avatar

This case seems to be perfect... Of course this manufacturer only sells bulk.
Maybe someone who is persistent enough will find a place to buy them individually.
I've got one of those leather checkbook looking flip cases myself, but just adding this here for reference.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/For-LG-T375-Cookie-Smart-glossy-tpu-case-Anti-slip

tfuser19

Tech
January 8, 2013, 7:46 pm
Maybe someone who is persistent enough will find a place to buy them individually.
I've got one of those leather checkbook looking flip cases myself, but just adding this here for reference.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/For-LG-T375-Cookie-Smart-glossy-tpu-case-Anti-slip
Based on the 3 T375 cases I just received and what others posted, I bet the case linked above will have the
same issues of plugs, buttons, camera being misaligned.

tfuser19

Questions about text message display:

1. When you have an new text messages, does it just show "New message" and a few words from the text message?

2. After clicking on a new message to read it, only the sender's phone number is displayed, even though that phone
number is in the contact list with the sender's name. My old LG800G and S390G show the sender's name from the
contact list... Is there a way to see the sender's name instead of their phone number at the top of the text message
being read on the LG 840G?

Tech
Member Avatar

tfuser19
January 8, 2013, 8:55 pm

1. When you have an new text messages, does it just show "New message" and a few words from the text message?

2. After clicking on a new message to read it, only the sender's phone number is displayed, even though that phone
number is in the contact list with the sender's name. My old LG800G and S390G show the sender's name from the
contact list... Is there a way to see the sender's name instead of their phone number at the top of the text message
I thought that it only said "New Message" with no information at all regarding who is texting you or even any lines
of the text hinting at what is contained in it.

Reminds me of when the pundit said "We have to pass this bill so we can see what's in it." And we saw how much
that ended up costing.

But seriously though... They don't let you know who is sending the text or what's in it... You have to blindly tap on
"Receive Message" so that you can see what's in it and from whom. No number or a few lines or contact name or
anything is offered by the carrier regarding the transfer of data that was sent to you.

Tech
Member Avatar

tfuser19
January 8, 2013, 8:54 pm
Tech

Based on the 3 T375 cases I just received and what others posted, I bet the case linked above will have the
Perhaps... The picture of the case looks like a perfect fit to me though. Everything looks to be aligned perfectly.

tfuser19

Tech
January 8, 2013, 9:17 pm
tfuser19
January 8, 2013, 8:54 pm
Tech

Perhaps... The picture of the case looks like a perfect fit to me though. Everything looks to be aligned perfectly.
The cover I have on with it's holes about 2-3 mm off looked perfect in the pictures too.

tfuser19

Tech
January 8, 2013, 9:16 pm
tfuser19
January 8, 2013, 8:55 pm

I thought that it only said "New Message" with no information at all regarding who is texting you or even any lines
of the text hinting at what is contained in it.

Reminds me of when the pundit said "We have to pass this bill so we can see what's in it." And we saw how much
that ended up costing.

But seriously though... They don't let you know who is sending the text or what's in it... You have to blindly tap on
"Receive Message" so that you can see what's in it and from whom. No number or a few lines or contact name or
anything is offered by the carrier regarding the transfer of data that was sent to you.
When you get a new message, if you press Ignore to the New Message notification, then go to you Inbox, you
see "New Message" in place of the sender's name, and the first 6 characters of the message. If the messages
was previously opened, then you'll see the sender's name (if it's in your contact list) in place of "New Message".

So my questions still remain:
1. If you dismiss a New Message by pressing Ignore, then if you go the Inbox does it just show "New message"
and the first 6 characters or so from the text message?

2. After clicking on a new message to read it, only the sender's phone number is displayed at the top of the
message body, even though that phone number is in the contact list with the sender's name. My old LG 800G
and S390G show the sender's name from the contact list... Is there a way to see the sender's name instead of
their phone number at the top of the text message being read on the LG 840G?

Tech
Member Avatar

If you tap ignore and then go to your inbox then it will say this:

New Message
FRM:**

The asterisks representing digits, of course. So you don't really get the first 6 characters of the message.
All you get is "New Message" and then "FRM:**".

Tapping on that will then deduct units and present the message for viewing....with the number on top.
Doesn't look to be a setting that is accessible to the Tracfone end user to change that.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Tech

DoctorM

@ Tech
[snip] ... The 840G's music player sorts on Song Title -- i.e., the alphabetic list that displays when the
music player is activated. (In contrast, the 800G's music player sorts on File Name, not Song Title).
[snip] ... if you leave it as "1-Zorba The Great" then the device will list it first in the "all songs" list on the
phone when in fact, it should be listed last because technically it starts with a Z when entitled correctly.
Are we talking about the same thing? -- on the 840G the ALL SONGS list is composed of Song Titles, not File Names.
"1 - Zorba the Greek" does not show up in the All Songs list.

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
January 8, 2013, 11:27 pm
Tech

DoctorM

@ Tech
[snip] ... The 840G's music player sorts on Song Title -- i.e., the alphabetic list that displays when the
music player is activated. (In contrast, the 800G's music player sorts on File Name, not Song Title).
[snip] ... if you leave it as "1-Zorba The Great" then the device will list it first in the "all songs" list on the
phone when in fact, it should be listed last because technically it starts with a Z when entitled correctly.
Are we talking about the same thing? -- on the 840G the ALL SONGS list is composed of Song Titles, not File Names.
It's not a song then? Is it the movie you're talking about?

All of my music file names are the same as the actual corresponding song title except they end with .mp3.
So technically they are file names.

Since it sounds like Zorba the Great isn't a song then I guess you're talking about the actual file manager itself?
If so, then yes. It reads by Folder/File name. Of course you can switch it to sort by Name, Date or type depending
on how you want. Default is set to sort by Date though. Even though it reads by file name. You would only know
that though if you did a master clear and went back and checked or specifically took note of it before changing it
initially when the device was first loaded with junk.

Anyhoo....sounds like we're talking about two different things but in scope though we're really not. I think you just
havent stumbled across some of the different ways in which the device demonstrates to the user it's ability to organize
assuming that the end user himself or herself is organized. It's an art in itself... Music files should always be the
same as the song title. The music player will thank you for it later.

Had I not remembered that I too have a folder named "1 - Wallpaper" in my pictures folder from back when I was
testing out different ones that hid that excruciatingly, annoying, aggravating and totaly useless "home" text on every
screen that Tracfone demands stay there and bug me to no end then I probably still would have thought that you
were talking about the music player file system instead of the main one.

I've got 4,324 files on this device and will add probably nother 1000 during the spring baseball season. All sorted in
folders and sub-folders. Mostly pictures and video of junior's baseball games since he was 8. Heck, my sub-folders
expand a few branches out per each individual folder. And there are many individual folders.

Would actually be a nice feature if the media player played both video and music files.

tfuser19

According to the LG 840G tutorial, I should see the contact's name at the top of the message body when I open
a text message (assuming the sender is in my contact list).

http://img.deviceanywhere.com//tracfone/pub/73030/medium/graphs/37784422106884808.jpg

I just see their mobile number in the "From: " line ....... is that consistent with what you guys are seeing?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Tech
January 9, 2013, 12:43 am
DoctorM
January 8, 2013, 11:27 pm
Tech

DoctorM

@ Tech
It's not a song then? Is it the movie you're talking about?

All of my music file names are the same as the actual corresponding song title except they end with .mp3.
So technically they are file names.

Since it sounds like Zorba the Great isn't a song then I guess you're talking about the actual file manager itself?
If so, then yes. It reads by Folder/File name. Of course you can switch it to sort by Name, Date or type depending
on how you want. Default is set to sort by Date though. Even though it reads by file name. You would only know
that though if you did a master clear and went back and checked or specifically took note of it before changing it
initially when the device was first loaded with junk.

Anyhoo....sounds like we're talking about two different things but in scope though we're really not. I think you just
havent stumbled across some of the different ways in which the device demonstrates to the user it's ability to organize
assuming that the end user himself or herself is organized. It's an art in itself... Music files should always be the
same as the song title. The music player will thank you for it later.

Had I not remembered that I too have a folder named "1 - Wallpaper" in my pictures folder from back when I was
testing out different ones that hid that excruciatingly, annoying, aggravating and totaly useless "home" text on every
screen that Tracfone demands stay there and bug me to no end then I probably still would have thought that you
were talking about the music player file system instead of the main one.

I've got 4,324 files on this device and will add probably nother 1000 during the spring baseball season. All sorted in
folders and sub-folders. Mostly pictures and video of junior's baseball games since he was 8. Heck, my sub-folders
expand a few branches out per each individual folder. And there are many individual folders.

Would actually be a nice feature if the media player played both video and music files.
Sometimes you don't make sense to me. - that could be me, of course -- or it could be you.

A music file can have both a file name and a song title, and they do not have to be the same. In the example I tested, I set the file name to be different from the song title in order to test which the LG 840G sorted on. While it is not important on the LG 840G (because, it turns out, it does sort on the song title), it was (is) important on the LG 800G (because it sorts on the file name.)

What many of us found on the LG 800G is that we could not sort the music properly because most of our music file names (which the LG 800G sorts on) had the track number as the first part of the file name (not to be confused with the header tag that also has the track number.) What we had to do, in order to sort properly on the LG 800G was to strip the track number out of the file name (not to be confused with the header tag that also contained the track nimber.)

Fortunately, the LG 840G does not have a sort problem, because it does not sort on the file name, and there is no need to strip out track numbers (if they are embedded in the file names.)

Note to others following this discussion -- Music files have a header section (before the actual sound data) that consists of a number of tags and tag data (not necessarily in the order I state them below):

Name: "01 - Zorba the Greek" (Note: the "Name" tag is the File Name)
Album Title - "Greatest Hits"
Artist - "Herb Alpert"
Title - "Zorba the Greek"( Note: the "Title" tag is the Song Title)
Genere - "Pop"
Track Number - "1"
Type - "mpg"
etc., etc., etc. (there is also a header tag for containing album art (if it is embedded).

When you access a music folder on a PC, the Windows OS (XP and above) recognizes audio files, and can display them (in "detail" mode) with a default set of header tags, which you can modify right on the display.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

tfuser19
January 9, 2013, 8:53 pm
According to the LG840G tutorial, I should see the contact's name at the top of the message body when I
open a text message (assuming the sender is in my contact list).

http://img.deviceanywhere.com//tracfone/pub/73030/medium/graphs/37784422106884808.jpg

I just see their mobile number in the "From: " line ....... is that consistent with what you guys are seeing?
If you go to the INBOX, you will see a contact name (instead of their number) and under it about 20+ characters
(including blanks) of the message... But when you tap to display the message in full, you only see their number,
the message, and the date and time.

If, while in full message view, you tap the options icon in the upper right corner, then MESSAGE DETAILS, you
will see a SUBJECT tag, usually with "No Subject" displayed, I can't for the life of me figure out how to create a
subject for a message. Can You?

tfuser19

DoctorM .... Thanks for the reply!

The only way I know of how to create a subject line in a text message is if use email to send a text message
by emailing to "<your cell #>@txt.att.net" (if you're on the ATT network), then the text message will arrive with
a subject line.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

tfuser19
January 10, 2013, 10:01 am
DoctorM .... Thanks for the reply!

The only way I know of how to create a subject line in a text message is if use email to send a text message
by emailing to "<your cell #>@txt.att.net" (if you're on the ATT network), then the text message will arrive with
a subject line.
OK! -- Thanks for tip!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.