Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up here -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have total access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) LG 840g Phone Topic
Topic Started: September 24, 2012, 12:41 am (183,497 Views)
Curmudgeon

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts or questions on this phone, feel free to post it all here ... thanks.

* Tracfone LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?

* Net10 LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today, I received my micro to USB data cable.. IT WORKED! Now, I can transfer files to and from my LG 840G
with my desktop computer. If it had not been for this forum, I would not have known that there was such a thing
as a data cable in addition to the charging cable.

Thank you so much for enlightening me as well as giving me the good link to purchase the cable.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Curmudgeon
November 30, 2012, 5:06 pm
Today, I received my micro to USB data cable.. IT WORKED! Now, I can transfer files to and from my LG 840G
with my desktop computer. If it had not been for this forum, I would not have known that there was such a thing

Thank you so much for enlightening me as well as giving me the good link to purchase the cable.
Let us know if you have any trouble -- when I try moving files (music and pictures) by data cable, some of them
aren't recognized by the 840G afterwards, even though the phone made a little thumbnail icon by the files, and
I could open and play the files from the microSD card while hooked to my PC.

Curmudgeon

This is a little OT, but -- I have been intermittently getting such poor DL speeds from my ISP that at times it is
completely unusable. My complaints get nonedescript replies like "There is a ticket open on it --" and "We are
going to get some new equipment someday --" This has been going on for so long that I am tempted to dump
them and just use the WiFi at the public library with my Tracfone & Motorola Xoom tablet.

My reading online shows even worse comments about other ISP's in my area... However, is there any way to
enable a secure connection with a public WiFi when doing financial things like banking or placing orders with
credit cards? ... It sounds far fetched, but is it possible?

Tegan

phoenix1
November 26, 2012, 12:17 am
I found some really great screen protectors at Amazon, they come from the UK, but get here really fast, as a matter
of fact they came faster than some of the stuff from the US that I have ordered. These are the best I've found, they're
actually for the LG t375 which is the non-Tracfone version of the LG 840g...I think it was a European version.
Anyway, they fit perfect, they don't interfere with using the screen and you can hear just fine with them on.

You get six in a package: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009525YUK/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00
I just got my order in, installed with a new technique I recently learned from a youtube video, and it's perfect.
Thanks for the positive experience suggestion.

Foolproof... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oJX99p3kEc

zspook
Member Avatar

Curmudgeon
December 1, 2012, 2:00 pm
This is a little OT, but -- I have been intermittently getting such poor DL speeds from my ISP that at times it is
completely unusable. My complaints get nonedescript replies like "There is a ticket open on it --" and "We are
going to get some new equipment someday --" This has been going on for so long that I am tempted to dump
them and just use the WiFi at the public library with my Tracfone & Motorola Xoom tablet.

My reading online shows even worse comments about other ISP's in my area... However, is there any way to
enable a secure connection with a public WiFi when doing financial things like banking or placing orders with
Depending on the distant to the "public" Wi-Fi you want to connect to. You can build a Wi-Fi antenna from an
empty potato chip can !!!
I haven't done it but, I have seen one work at about 2 miles. Of course you will have to have LINE OF SITE !!!

There are several you-tubes on how to make the antenna. If you Google Wi-Fi antenna, you will get a couple
of million options ...

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms
Should be a convenience store not a government agency!!

watsonk

I tried both Opera Mini 7.1 and UC 8.7 (modified versions without virtual keypad).
The standard version comes with a virtual keypad at the bottom of screen.

http://blog.wapreview.com/

I like Opera Mini's navigation and organization. I am going to keep Opera Mini in Games & Apps for a while.

After installing Opera Mini, to use Opera Mini instead of the standard Brower, simply go to "Games and Apps"
and start Opera Mini. Tracfone's standard Brower (Globe), Opera Mini, and UC can all co-exist in the phone.

As for UC, I do not find that it is as refined (or as popular) as Opera Mini. Thus, I deleted it.

Please keep in mind that both Opera Mini and UC do not support video streaming (no Youtube).
Therefore, you will have to use the standard Tracfone Brower for Youtube videos.

As for speed, I did not find too much of a difference between Tracfone standard brower and Opera Mini... Most of the
time is wasted in navigation and typing instead of website loading. Opera Mini uses a QWERTY keypad which is nice.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Curmudgeon
December 1, 2012, 2:00 pm

I think WiFi can be relatively secure (your home network) with a strong password... But public WiFi is about as
secure as e-mail -- not very.

I once sat in an ISP's office and connected to the internet -- I could read everything on the server - including
everybody's email served by the ISP - and I think the same is true with public WiFi - the host could have access
to everything it chose to. Not saying they do, just that they could.

Curmudgeon

Your reply reminds me again that truth is not the same as wishful thinking. I'll just have to keep hounding and
threatening my ISP until they get up off of their ***** and check their lines and routers. I am paying for a 1.5 mb
service and was told that if it actually achieves 80% of that then they consider it OK.

Lately, it hasn't even come close to that dubious goal at various times of day or night. I miss the days when we
communicated with two tin cans connected with a string... No one could hack that unless they cut the string. ;-)

phoenix1
Member Avatar

Tegan
December 1, 2012, 5:36 pm
phoenix1
November 26, 2012, 12:17 am
I found some really great screen protectors at Amazon, they come from the UK, but get here really fast, as a
matter of fact they came faster than some of the stuff from the US that I have ordered. These are the best I've
found, they're actually for the LG t375 which is the non-Tracfone version of the LG 840g... I think it was a
European version.
Anyway, they fit perfect, they don't interfere with using the screen and you can hear just fine with them on.

You get six in a package: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009525YUK/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00
I just got my order in, installed with a new technique I recently learned from a youtube video, and it's perfect.
Thanks for the positive experience suggestion.

Foolproof... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oJX99p3kEc
I'm glad it all worked out for you. :) I'm always glad to pass on any helpful things I can find... I had seen that video
when I was learning how to put screen protectors on the LG800 but had lost the link, thanks for finding it for me again.

Tarkio101

I have both UC and Opera installed right now. I like Opera and have used it in the past a lot. But it seems unusually
cramped in Landscape mode on this phone. I have not used UC much until recently, but I do like it. UC does not
work in Landscape mode on this phone, but I find myself enjoying using it in portrait more than I thought I would.
Either way, getting rid of that keypad is awesome. I'm working a list of apps I have installed that are working well
for me.

bfeur66

How to transfer contacts from LG 800g: Since I spent countless time surfing the Internet looking for answers and
at least 2 hours trying to get my contacts transferred from my year old 800g and no one posted instructions how
to do that yet I figured I would share how I did it using Bluetooth:

1. turn on your LG800 phone. Find the bluetooth icon and turn on the bluetooth feature. Should just be a slider button.

2. turn on your new LG840G and do the same thing. By default your new phone won't be visible by your old phone so
while you are in the bluetooth settings, click on 'My Bluetooth Info' and then choose 'My Device Visibility'. Choose the
'Visible for 3 Min' option

3. now go back to your old phone and open your Contacts list. Choose the paper looking icon in the bottom left corner
of your screen. Now choose 'Settings'. Choose 'Send All Contacts' and it should take you to a screen showing your old
phone name. Click on that name. The transfer should begin and your new phone should show that it connected to the
old phone

4. now go back to your new phone. Open your Contacts. At this point you won't see anything (at least I didn't) because
by default the contacts list is set up to point to the SIM card... The bluetooth transfer process put the contacts on your
microSD card instead (not sure how to change that if you want them to go to the SIM instead). In the contacts screen,
choose the paper looking icon in the top right corner of your screen. Choose 'View Settings'. Change the setting from
'SIM Contacts' to one of the other 2 options (either Phone Contacts or Phone & SIM Contacts.

5. DONE!

Hope that helps someone out...
I was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. I wanted to get this done before activating my phone.

Sprocketman

I tried putting the SIM card from my old LG 800g in the new LG 840g phone and got an error message. C

Went on the Tracfone site and tried to make the change. I had 1283 minutes on my 800g... At the last minute the
screen said "Is this amount of minutes and days ok for the transfer?" and to my shock it was going to give me only
1100 minutes! I called Miami customer service and got the full transfer--she even gave me two extra months and
a few extra minutes.

On my old LG 800g I had the tones that play when the phone boots up or shuts down turned off. Neither Miami
customer service nor I could find a way to disable that, although you can do it by putting the phone on silent.

Anybody know the pixel size for the dinky little icons? - They are a great deal smaller than the 800g, so you can
have text below them, but you get lousy icons, and the ones I transferred are squashed. I would like to get rid of
the icon text if anybody knows how.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Sprocketman
December 2, 2012, 8:26 pm
I tried putting the SIM card from my old LG 800g in the new LG 840g phone and got an error message. C

Went on the Tracfone site and tried to make the change. I had 1283 minutes on my 800g... At the last minute the
screen said "Is this amount of minutes and days ok for the transfer?" and to my shock it was going to give me only
1100 minutes! I called Miami customer service and got the full transfer--she even gave me two extra months and
a few extra minutes.

On my old LG 800g I had the tones that play when the phone boots up or shuts down turned off. Neither Miami
customer service nor I could find a way to disable that, although you can do it by putting the phone on silent.

Anybody know the pixel size for the dinky little icons? - They are a great deal smaller than the 800g, so you can
have text below them, but you get lousy icons, and the ones I transferred are squashed. I would like to get rid of
the icon text if anybody knows how.
As you probably already know now, You can NOT transfer your SIM card from one phone to another -- it is
specific to the phone.

And I didn't find any way to even access the ring tones and sounds the 840G uses... And you can't transfer
the ones on the LG 800G to the 840G either.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

DoctorM
November 27, 2012, 10:10 pm
sqwento
November 27, 2012, 8:14 pm
In regard to the Data Cable/Charging Cable discussion, an "LG data cable" I bought from Amazon fails to
transmit data for my LG 800 and now 840 but works perfectly for data transmission on my Net 10 Huawei
Android. On the other hand the micro USB cables I got at the Dollar Tree work great for data transmission
for the LG Tracfones but won't transmit data for my Net10 Android... Am I missing something?

DoctorM, have you tried a different memory card? Initially I just put my LG 800g 4GB card into my LG 840g
which had no issues, then I copied the card's contents via data cable back to the 2GB card which I put in the
LG800 without issue. As I tried larger memory cards I repeated the process using the 840 and a card reader
twice so far without any memory loss.
If what I just did (below) doesn't work, then I'll try my 16GB microSD...

I just did a Master Reset on the phone (Settings > Phone, Reset Settings > Master Reset).
And, I just re-formatted the 32GB microSD card (Settings > Phone > Memory > Used Space > Memory Card > Format),
which wiped clean all my prior files.
Then I created a sub-folder, which I named "Music." within the Audio folder (File Manager > Audio > (select memory
card tab) > (select Option icon) > New Folder > (name new folder).

Before reloading the music, I sorted it on the PC so I could see all the M4A (iTunes protected) files together,
because they appeared to be the ones causing the most problems not playing. I noticed some of these M4A
files had a "1" in the file name, which might indicate it was a copy -- so (thinking conspiratorial thoughts about
Apple) I deleted the "1" from the file name... Then I transferred (via data cable) the M4A files to the new Music
sub-folder in the LG840G . Then I played all the M4A files on the LG 840G to see if they played, and they all did.

I'm hoping the entire mess was caused by accidentally syncing the phone to the computer, and the files disappearing
was caused by the M4A files with a "1" in it.

Then I transferred all the MP3 files in one transaction from the PC to the Music sub-folder.
I am in the process now of seeing if all of the MP3 files play. So far, all I have tested have played.

EDIT -- I went through my entire music list, and all songs played. I think this was NOT a phone issue, but an issue
with some Apple M4A malware, deleting or scrambling M4A music files it considered improperly transferred, and
screwing up other music files nearby in the process,,. It appears taking out the "1" in the M4A file name cured the
problem ??? It's hard to know for sure, because I did several things at once to get here.
DoctorM
November 27, 2012, 1:55 pm
DoctorM
November 26, 2012, 10:20 am
I just noticed that all the music files on my LG 840G starting with K and going through S have been deleted
from the phone. Not only that, but the same music titles have been deleted from the backup file on my PC.

I think the delete on the PC has something to do with synchronizing the LG 840G and my PC.
And I think the delete was somehow initiated by the LG 840G as I was scrolling through the music list.
This is a strange tale indeed -- I restored my PC backup file from the LG 800G, and then from the PC to the LG 840G,
all using the data cable. But when I tried playing the restored files on the LG 840G, about half of them would not play
-- all in alphabetical sequence with each other and the last files to be transferred -- which may indicate a limit on the
number of files that can be selected simultaneously for transfer on a data cable to the LG 840G.

I checked the restored music files on the PC using both Windows Media Player and iTunes, and they all played on
the PC.

So I deleted the remaining non-playing music files on the LG 840G, and then transferred the titles from the LG 800G
by Bluetooth, ten at a time. Now all the music files are restored to the LG 840G, and all play OK.

Very curious behavior for the 840G. I am now entertaining whether to send it back and wait for the next software edition.
Well. I finally solved this issue -- nothing to do with Apple, and it wasn't the phone -- it was a failing microSDHC card.
It was 32GB, but it was also 1-1/2 years old, and probably out of warranty... It was really hard to isolate the problem,
because many files on the 32GB microSD card were ok,

I put in a fairly new 16GB microSDHC card as replacement. At first, the LG 840G would not accept it. I had to connect
the microSD to my PC using a USB-SD adapter, delete all the existing files off it, then format it, then copy the 840G
folders and files on to it. Then the LG 840G accepted it. It took a while though for the 840G to re-index all the music
files and picture files.

Sprocketman

DoctorM
December 2, 2012, 8:55 pm
Dr. M said:
And I didn't find any way to even access the ring tones and sounds the 840G uses.
And you can't transfer the ones on the LG 800G to the 840G either.
I have not tried to find or move the 800g default tones, since I did not particularly like any of them.. But I have not
had a problem with moving my own home-made ringtones, FlV, MP3 and AMR formats. I made a subdirectory on
my microSD card called Ringtones in the Audio directory that the phone put on the card when I formatted it. Moved
all my ringtones into that subdirectory, and the 840g found them all. Then I open a contact and edit it, and when I
tap on the Ringtone field it shows a list of the available ones, including all the ones in my Ringtones subdirectory.

Learned how to make ringtones from this source: http://www/2008/09/07/create-free-ringtones-for-your-lg-600g

I am still hoping to find some way to enlarge the icons on the Contacts screen, and make the ones on the Widget
screen smaller... I can't understand why the icons on my Widget screen are so much bigger than any of the other
screens. Maybe they came from another LG model with different screen attributes? They are just huge, so I have
just one Widget on there now.

If anybody knows how, I also want to get crisp black letters on the home screens like the ones on the Main Menu
screens. (the screens accessed with the four dots key on the lower right of the home screen). The Main Menu icons
don't have the clumsy double outline letters of the home screen, and are a lot easier to read. I have changed wall
paper, and tried setting it to no wallpaper, but no joy.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Sprocketman
December 2, 2012, 10:12 pm
DoctorM
December 2, 2012, 8:55 pm
Dr. M said:
And I didn't find any way to even access the ring tones and sounds the 840G uses.
And you can't transfer the ones on the LG 800G to the 840G either.
I have not tried to find or move the 800g default tones, since I did not particularly like any of them.. But I have not
had a problem with moving my own home-made ringtones, FlV, MP3 and AMR formats. I made a subdirectory on
my microSD card called Ringtones in the Audio directory that the phone put on the card when I formatted it. Moved
all my ringtones into that subdirectory, and the 840g found them all. Then I open a contact and edit it, and when I
tap on the Ringtone field it shows a list of the available ones, including all the ones in my Ringtones subdirectory.

Learned how to make ringtones from this source: http://www/2008/09/07/create-free-ringtones-for-your-lg-600g

I am still hoping to find some way to enlarge the icons on the Contacts screen, and make the ones on the Widget
screen smaller... I can't understand why the icons on my Widget screen are so much bigger than any of the other
screens. Maybe they came from another LG model with different screen attributes? They are just huge, so I have
just one Widget on there now.

If anybody knows how, I also want to get crisp black letters on the home screens like the ones on the Main Menu
screens. (the screens accessed with the four dots key on the lower right of the home screen). The Main Menu icons
don't have the clumsy double outline letters of the home screen, and are a lot easier to read. I have changed wall
paper, and tried setting it to no wallpaper, but no joy.
Great sleuthing !!! For others - here is the path to the ringtone list:

Contacts > (pick a contact) > Edit > (scroll down to) +More Fields > (scroll down to) Ringtone (tap the default under
ringtones) > Custom Ringtone > (pick from the list)

Thanks for sharing your finds.

Tech
Member Avatar

Sprocketman...

You need to have a solid white background to have solid black font.
So if you make a 240x320 solid white jpg then you'll have that.

The icon thing, at least I believe, is something the carrier has messed with. May be wrong but I doubt it.
They seem to have a stronghold on that particular screen. The software is dependent upon it.
Is perhaps why the end user cannot get rid of that annoying "Home" text.

tbates57
Member Avatar

LG 840g Youtube Video Question?

I've downloaded a few Youtube videos and converted them to .3gp format (using YTD Video Downloader).
One works perfectly but most are postage stamp size in the middle of the screen.
One gives only the error message "Invalid display size".

Anyone have a solution or suggestions?

ciliegia

Tarkio101
December 2, 2012, 2:46 am
I have both UC and Opera installed right now. I like Opera and have used it in the past a lot. But it seems unusually
cramped in Landscape mode on this phone. I have not used UC much until recently, but I do like it. UC does not
work in Landscape mode on this phone, but I find myself enjoying using it in portrait more than I thought I would.
Either way, getting rid of that keypad is awesome. I'm working a list of apps I have installed that are working well
for me.
Were you able to get the UC Browser with the Qwerty? I followed all the instructions from http://blog.wapreview.com/
but have been totally unsuccessful. His instructions for Opera Mini were right on... I even contacted the guy for help,
but as he doesn't have the phone and with all his help, we weren't able to do it. He, ultimately suggested I get some
assistance from someone who got the QWERTY to work in it... Did you? If so, how?
Frankly, I preferred, with my lg800, UC over Opera mini.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

People have started to add how to videos on YouTube, some are about Java apps, Opera and watching YouTube
videos, plus one or two others. I don't know if there's anything posted that would be of interest to anyone, but here's
the link in case you'd like to check them out.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lg+840g

tbates57
Member Avatar

bfeur66
December 2, 2012, 7:51 pm
How to transfer contacts from LG 800g: Since I spent countless time surfing the Internet looking for answers and
at least 2 hours trying to get my contacts transferred from my year old 800g and no one posted instructions how
to do that yet I figured I would share how I did it using Bluetooth....
IF you backup your LG 800g contacts to its external (SD) memory THEN when you insert that SD into the LG
840g the contacts appear. (I don't think the LG 840g required anything except installing the SD).

To Backup LG 800g contacts:
Contacts
Sub-Menu (??? - icon to left of "Add" & "Message")
Settings
Backup Contacts
(Backup all contacts data to external memory?)
Yes

Data is saved to SD card as "Contacts...vcf"

watsonk

tbates57
December 4, 2012, 12:14 am

I've downloaded a few Youtube videos and converted them to .3gp format (using YTD Video Downloader).
One works perfectly but most are postage stamp size in the middle of the screen.

I tried 3gp format once and did not work.

If I drag the mp4 files directly from PC to the phone, they do not work either.

I converted all my mp4 videos to 320x240 (IPOD MP4 format) using Any Video Converter and drag them into the
phone. Then everything plays perfectly and full screen. The wide screen ones are stretched from left to right with
black borders at top and bottom.

In short, the phone's Video Player supports mp4 format in certain frame sizes such as 320x240.

On the other hand, the standard Tracfone Browser's Video Player can play YouTube videos on-line. However,
they show up as a small box in the middle of the screen (as opposed to fully stretched video on the screen).
Also, all the wide format YouTube videos are compressed into the box; as result, they appear to be distorted.

tbates57
Member Avatar

phoenix1
December 4, 2012, 12:44 am
People have started to add how to videos on YouTube, some are about Java apps, Opera and watching YouTube
videos, plus one or two others. I don't know if there's anything posted that would be of interest to anyone, but here's
the link in case you'd like to check them out.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lg+840g
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the browser and Youtube and was able to select a video as usual. When I selected
view I got a downloading bar across the top of the (landscape) screen stuck on 1%.. After about a minute, the phone
rebooted. I got exactly the same on a second attempt.

What I'm hoping to do is place some favorite Youtube (and other) videos on the SD (from my desktop) and have
them viewable on the phone.

I did verify, however, that the connection was through Wifi and cost me NO minutes.

Tech
Member Avatar

Don't know if anyone here uses the mobile facebook app that tracfone has added to this device, but if so, then
perhaps this may be of some useful insight.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2242255/Facebook-accused

Sprocketman

Thanks, Tech, using a white background works and gets me plain black text. But white is not my favorite wallpaper.
The pastel blue on the Main Menu screens is kinder to my eyes... I liked the screen on the 800g, actually.

Just for comparison I have taken two photos of the 800g and 840g side-by-side:

http://www.rswart.org/images/lg800and840second.jpg

http://www.rswart.org/images/lg800and840.jpg

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ Sprocketman --
@ Tech --

Your screen is the biggest battery consumer, and a white background will consume the most battery power
(in order to produce white, all the LCD colors have to be turned on.) A white background also creates the least
contrast and tends to wash out colors.

I use a black background, and I create my wallpaper with a black background -- uses less battery, creates more
contrast, I can set the brightness to a lower level, and I can also set a longer duration to display the screen.

tbates57
Member Avatar

watsonk
December 4, 2012, 12:53 am
tbates57

I converted all my mp4 videos to 320x240 (IPOD MP4 format) using Any Video Converter and drag them into the
phone. Then everything plays perfectly and full screen. The wide screen ones are stretched from left to right with

In short, the phone's Video Player supports mp4 format in certain frame sizes such as 320x240.

On the other hand, the standard Tracfone Browser's Video Player can play YouTube videos on-line. However,
they show up as a small box in the middle of the screen (as opposed to fully stretched video on the screen).
Also, all the wide format YouTube videos are compressed into the box; as result, they appear to be distorted.
Thanks Watsonk... Exactly the info I needed and works perfectly.

I've got a complete movie and 30-40 minutes of Youtube videos using only 2.5Gb of memory.

ciliegia

Has anyone figured out how to get the QWERTY board to work on UC Browser 8.7?

I got it to work w/Opera Mini, but only get either the t9 or dialpad for UC.

I like this browser and was able to use it on my Lg 800 (w/QWERTY)... If you did, how?

Thanks.

Tech
Member Avatar

Sprocketman
December 4, 2012, 2:07 am
Thanks, Tech, using a white background works and gets me plain black text. But white is not my favorite wallpaper.
The pastel blue on the Main Menu screens is kinder to my eyes... I liked the screen on the 800g, actually.

Just for comparison I have taken two photos of the 800g and 840g side-by-side:

http://www.rswart.org/images/lg800and840second.jpg

http://www.rswart.org/images/lg800and840.jpg
Yeah, I didn't like the white either... But that's the only way I found to do it.
Also, Doc's correct regarding battery consumption. I also found that beige and grey was ok. Like a sandy beige.

Tech
Member Avatar

tbates57
December 4, 2012, 1:13 pm
watsonk
December 4, 2012, 12:53 am
tbates57

Thanks Watsonk... Exactly the info I needed and works perfectly.
I've got a complete movie and 30-40 minutes of Youtube videos using only 2.5Gb of memory.
That's weird... I ended up with around 19 hours of my son's various baseball game video on a 4gb card.
Try Freemake Video Converter. Can do a lot with it. Nice interface too. I think it even has a youtube converter.

Be careful with copyright though. These devices are now being set up stock to blow the whistle on that kind of stuff.
Do as you wish but just a friendly reminder. Not that I agree with that corporate practice in general... I'm after all a
strong supporter of the first amendment.

blueduns

Hi Guys, Just signed up... Thanks for all the great info.

I have this phone. Wonder if anyone else has the same question I do.. About the slider to unlock after it goes
to sleep. I turned it off when I figured out (confirmed by Tracfone) that there is no way to have a password on
the slider to wake up. You can have a password when the phone boots up or lock the phone on demand but
it seems to me that if one were to lose the phone when it was sleeping, it's unlocked for the lucky person that
finds it and uses up your minutes. Unless Tracfone was wrong and there is a way to add a password to the slider.

BD

DoctorM
Member Avatar

blueduns
December 5, 2012, 9:56 am
Hi Guys, Just signed up... Thanks for all the great info.

I have this phone. Wonder if anyone else has the same question I do.. About the slider to unlock after it goes
to sleep. I turned it off when I figured out (confirmed by Tracfone) that there is no way to have a password on
the slider to wake up. You can have a password when the phone boots up or lock the phone on demand but
it seems to me that if one were to lose the phone when it was sleeping, it's unlocked for the lucky person that
finds it and uses up your minutes. Unless Tracfone was wrong and there is a way to add a password to the slider.
Thanks for mentioning the security code, I hadn't played with it before on this phone.

You are right -- the security code is useless while the Lg840G is operational -- not like my android phone which
provides either a pass code or a pattern draw every time the screen is activated, and reactivates automatically
when the screen goes blank.

You probably already discovered that you can bypass the slider lock by clicking twice on the on/off button on
the top of the phone... The slider lock's real purpose is to keep the phone from turning on accidentally in your
pocket, not for security, unfortunately.

At least you can lock your phone, though it is way too unwieldy -- requiring several screens -- (Settings > Phone >
Security > Device Lock > Immediately > (input code) ... While it is easy and quick to unlock, it does not re-lock
automatically -- you have to go through all the screens again to re-lock it. That's probably why most of us don't
bother with it, and just leave it unlocked.

(For those wanting to set a security code the original security code is 0000).

blueduns

Too bad about the slider password...... My next question is about the WiFi.

Some secure WiFi networks require a file download/install which allows password logon to the network.
This is done with a file called "XpressConnect". I've done it on Windows & Android systems and it works fine.

Wondering if it will work for this Java phone. I found and downloaded the XpressConnect Java JAR file but didn't
install it yet... Been reluctant to install any Java Apps on the phone yet since I have yet to find any instructions on
how to remove unwanted Apps. Hopefully install/remove is as straight foward as on an Android system. I noticed
there are two types of Java installers, JAD or JAR. Is it either, or just one type is the installer to use on this phone?

I'm sure the guys that have installed OperaMini know the drill. Right now I have the XpressConnect JAR file in a
folder called "Downloads" on the 2GB SD card that came with the phone.

Thanks..... BD

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ bluedons
I can only answer the delete apps part --

Tap the Games & Apps icon - (a list of games and apps appears).
Select the options menu on the upper right-hand corner of the list of games and apps.
Select Delete in the options menu (the list of games and apps appears with a selection box in front of each).
Select the apps you want to delete (put a check mark in the box in front of the app).
Tap the Delete button at the bottom left of the screen.

blueduns

Right now there are only two games listed in g & a. ..... Uno & Asphalt4.

If I hit the options menu the only two options listed are: "Sort By" and "Java Information"

No delete option.

Thanks..... BD

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ blueduns --
That's because the only apps you have came with the phone - you didn't add them, so you can't delete them.

But if you add any apps, then you will also be able to delete (the ones you added).
I just did that for Tetris Revolution, which I added, but I find not too well designed for the LG 840G touchscreen.

blueduns

Once again, too bad I can't remove the unwanted games.

When you added Tetris did you run a JAR or JAD Java file?

Thanks.... BD

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ blueduns

I can't remember for sure, but I think I went to wherever the phone takes you - Gameloft. (Games & Apps > Buy Games)

I think I only had a choice of install or not, not what type of file was installed.

Tarkio101

blueduns
December 5, 2012, 5:16 pm
Once again, too bad I can't remove the unwanted games.

When you added Tetris did you run a JAR or JAD Java file?

Thanks.... BD
You will always want to select JAR files for this phone. In the game store provided thru Tracfone, it will always give
you the correct version for this phone, but there are many places you can download apps, and sometimes you will
have a choice. The easiest way to remember it's JAR you are looking for is by the name of the big appstore GetJar.
The JAR in the name refers to the file type.

As far as the unwanted games, they are just a very limited version and are limited in size too.

blueduns

Thanks... I figured it was probably JAR. Those are what I downloaded.

Is the phone picky as to which folder or which directory (phone memory vs SD memory) it needs the JAR file to
be for the install?

BD

blueduns

> At least you can lock your phone, though it is way too unwieldy -- requiring several screens --
> (Settings > Phone > Security > Device Lock > Immediately > (input code)

I forgot to mention that you can make the lock process easier by adding a Security Icon to the shortcut screen.

BD

GRRacing

Question about Ringtones... Has anyone here on the board actually made a ringtone for their LG 840G?
If so, what software program did they use? I looked at Myxer and it says it cannot make ringtones for Tracfones.
Audicity seems way too complicated for the average person... So, any thoughts?

As usual, thanks for the help... I am amazed at the level of knowledge a lot of you have... Gene

DoctorM
Member Avatar

GRRacing
December 6, 2012, 10:14 am
Question about Ringtones... Has anyone here on the board actually made a ringtone for their LG 840G?
If so, what software program did they use? I looked at Myxer and it says it cannot make ringtones for Tracfones.
Audicity seems way too complicated for the average person... So, any thoughts?

As usual, thanks for the help... I am amazed at the level of knowledge a lot of you have... Gene
Here is one way, probably not the only way --

You can use the built-in voice recorder, which can record your voice, sounds, or music - any audio you are
recording through the mic, which can then be set as ring tone.

I just tried it, and it worked. The recorder produces a .amr file, so any software which can make an .amr file,
or covert a file to that format, should be able to make a ring tone. I have some other software, which I might
try out and report back on later, if no one else comes up with anything more.

cutiegirl89
Member Avatar

What's the capacity of the LG 840g sd card... And also is the SD card internal or external.

And I wonder if the wifi thing the same as the as the wifi on the Samsung s390g?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

cutiegirl89
December 6, 2012, 4:09 pm
What's the capacity of the LG 840g sd card... And also is the SD card internal or external.
And I wonder if the wifi thing the same as the as the wifi on the Samsung s390g?
What's the capacity of the LG 840g sd card.
A microSDHC card - Any size up 32GB

And also is the SD card internal or external.
microSDHC - the phone considers it external memory

the very same

cutiegirl89
Member Avatar

DoctorM
December 6, 2012, 5:04 pm
cutiegirl89

the very same
Thanks, Cause I was wondering about it before I get it.

I meant "sd slot", in the question about it being internal or external but forgot to change the post, Opps. ^^;

DoctorM
Member Avatar

cutiegirl89
December 6, 2012, 5:20 pm
DoctorM
December 6, 2012, 5:04 pm
cutiegirl89

the very same
Thanks, Cause I was wondering about it before I get it.
I meant "sd slot", in the question about it being internal or external but forgot to change the post, Opps. ^^;
The slot for the microSD is under the cover, but not under the battery.

blueduns

I figured out the XpressConnect issue in case anyone else comes up against it. Has to do with the wireless encryption.

The 840G doesn't support WPA Enterprise so no connecting to secure networks with authentication name/password.

If someone has a fix, I'd love to hear it.

BD

blueduns

watsonk
December 1, 2012, 6:34 pm
I tried both Opera Mini 7.1 and UC 8.7 (modified versions without virtual keypad).
The standard version comes with a virtual keypad at the bottom of screen.

http://blog.wapreview.com/

I like Opera Mini's navigation and organization. I am going to keep Opera Mini in Games & Apps for a while.

After installing Opera Mini, to use Opera Mini instead of the standard Brower, simply go to "Games and Apps"
and start Opera Mini. Tracfone's standard Brower (Globe), Opera Mini, and UC can all co-exist in the phone.

As for UC, I do not find that it is as refined (or as popular) as Opera Mini. Thus, I deleted it.

Please keep in mind that both Opera Mini and UC do not support video streaming (no Youtube).
Therefore, you will have to use the standard Tracfone Brower for Youtube videos.

As for speed, I did not find too much of a difference between Tracfone standard brower and Opera Mini... Most of the
time is wasted in navigation and typing instead of website loading. Opera Mini uses a QWERTY keypad which is nice.
> I tried both Opera Mini 7.1 and UC 8.7 (modified versions without virtual keypad).
> The standard version comes with a virtual keypad at the bottom of screen.

Could you tell me where to download the Opera Mini? The 7.1 version I had seemed to hang on the install so
I had to turn the phone off and on to continue and I deleted the App. Unless you found it takes a very long time
to load Opera and I didn't wait long enough (over a few minutes).. It hung up during the red progress bar (less
than 1/2 way through).

Thanks...... BD

tktim

LG 840g - I get calls that are rejected and go directly to voice mail. Call says rejected "No Name". Call is coming
from a business line with multiple numbers. I would like to receive these calls. The same thing happen from a cell
phone call to me, which I have in my contact list. I can't find any settings related to "rejected call". I see no setting
for this under "Groups". I don't know how or where to adjust the "reject" settings on the LG 840g... Need help.

tbates57
Member Avatar

tktim
December 6, 2012, 8:02 pm
LG 840g - I get calls that are rejected and go directly to voice mail. Call says rejected "No Name". Call is coming
from a business line with multiple numbers. I would like to receive these calls. The same thing happen from a cell
phone call to me, which I have in my contact list. I can't find any settings related to "rejected call". I see no setting
for this under "Groups". I don't know how or where to adjust the "reject" settings on the LG 840g... Need help.
I've got just the opposite problem - unsolicited calls that I'd like to reject. My LG 800g had a reject call option in
phone settings but Tracfone says that's not an option on the LG 840g. I also can't find a way to set specific ring
tones for groups - so it'll do no good to have a "rejected" group.

Suggestions ?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

tktim
To my knowledge, there is no setting on the LG 840G for "call reject" as there is for the LG 800G -- at least I haven't
found such a setting... The LG 840G does have a "Rejectl" button which appears when a call comes in. Maybe you
are inadvertently touching it when a call comes in. Sometimes the screen is too sensitive.

The other thing you might do is turn the unit completely off, take out the battery, put it back in, and turn the phone
back on. Sometimes that solves strange behavior.

If all else fails, then it is time to call TracFone customer service.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

tbates57
December 6, 2012, 10:05 pm
tktim
I've got just the opposite problem - unsolicited calls that I'd like to reject. My LG 800g had a reject call option in
phone settings but Tracfone says that's not an option on the LG 840g. I also can't find a way to set specific ring
tones for groups - so it'll do no good to have a "rejected" group.

Suggestions ?
You can assign each unwanted number a "silent" ringtone." You have to first save the number as a contact, with a
name such as "undesirable," and can also assign it to a group (such as "Blacklist.")

tktim

Thanks everyone!

I did not realize that you could click the bottom right button to reject an incoming call (without unlocking the phone).
I must have done this by mistake. You can set specific ring tone for groups. Select Contacts, then All Contacts, then
Groups, then select the small menu button top right, then select Edit Group, then select the group you want to edit,
then change the Group Ringtone from Default (01) to what you want.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

tktim
December 7, 2012, 12:02 am
Thanks everyone!

I did not realize that you could click the bottom right button to reject an incoming call (without unlocking the phone).
I must have done this by mistake. You can set specific ring tone for groups. Select Contacts, then All Contacts, then
Groups, then select the small menu button top right, then select Edit Group, then select the group you want to edit,
The group ringtone setting is good for groups you want to hear from.

But for a group you don't want to hear from (such as in a Blacklist group) there is no group "silent" setting, nor a group
"reject" setting -- each individual in the blacklist group would have to be set to "silent," which means the unwanted call
goes to voice mail. For that reason, I never activate voice mail.

The question I have from this conversation is whether when an incoming call is rejected by the reject button, it goes
to voice mail. I think in that case it would not. (But since I don't have voice mail, and don't want it, I can't test it.)

phoenix1
Member Avatar

DoctorM
December 7, 2012, 1:31 am
The question I have from this conversation is whether when an incoming call is rejected by the reject button,
it goes to voice mail. I think in that case it would not. (But since I don't have voice mail, and don't want it, I can't
test it.)
I don't think rejected calls go to voice mail (I don't have or want it either) because after I downloaded my new
ringtone I called my 840g from my home phone to see how it worked.. When the call came in I just rejected it
and the call just stopped ringing.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but when you go to YouTube you can put your videos on landscape
and it does away with the distortion... It's still small but the width is much better and the picture seems clearer.

tktim

DoctorM
tktim
Thanks everyone!

But for a group you don't want to hear from (such as in a Blacklist group) there is no group "silent" setting, nor a group
"reject" setting -- each individual in the blacklist group would have to be set to "silent," which means the unwanted call

The question I have from this conversation is whether when an incoming call is rejected by the reject button, it goes
to voice mail. I think in that case it would not. (But since I don't have voice mail, and don't want it, I can't test it.)
If you reject an incoming call by clicking the reject button (bottom right) it goes to voice mail. I tested it. The
rejected person has to leave a message instead of just hanging up. Your correct there is no silent ring tone
setting for groups... But if you put the people you don't want to hear from in a group with a special ring tone,
then just ignore those special rings tones. Just don't answer or select reject. Silent would be better but that's
not an option.

the Wizard
Member Avatar

Is there a way to switch the 840G to landscape mode when reading email?
It's a bit inconvenient to read lengthy messages in portrait mode.

Does anyone know if the 840G SIM card would work in the LG T375, the LG phone that the 840G is based on?
It has more features, of course, including an FM radio, something I had hoped the 840G would have.

I really like this new phone which is a big improvement over my 800G but I'm really annoyed that Tracfone has
chosen to restrict the web sites that I can visit, especially when I am using WiFi... I think it's outrageous!

DoctorM
Member Avatar

the Wizard
December 7, 2012, 2:25 pm

Does anyone know if the 840G SIM card would work in the LG T375, the LG phone that the 840G is based on?
It has more features, of course, including an FM radio, something I had hoped the 840G would have.

I really like this new phone which is a big improvement over my 800G but I'm really annoyed that Tracfone has
chosen to restrict the web sites that I can visit, especially when I am using WiFi... I think it's outrageous!
I don't access email with the phone , so I can't help you with that one.

You can't use your TracFone SIM card in any other Phone -- it is tied to the phone's serial number.

The page that the built-in browser takes you to only has a limited number of mobile web sites on it. But I have
been able to input URL's and so far haven't been denied access to any of them. Tech reported some sites he
couldn't access. And there have been issues reported with U-Tube. But other than that, I'm not seeing access
restrictions for what I normally access... To the extent available, you would want to access mobile web sites,
rather than the full web. Especially for 3G connections.

the Wizard
Member Avatar

Thanks for you responses Dr. M. I just found the answer to my question about switching the 840G display
to landscape mode. When you open a message, up in the upper right corner of the screen is a menu icon.
Click on it and the last menu item is landscape mode.

Tarkio101

the Wizard
December 7, 2012, 2:25 pm

I have surfed a lot on this phone and haven't found websites I cannot go to. The only issue I've had it some websites
are too big to load unless I used the mobile site. Overall, I've been pretty impressed with the surfing on this phone.

Is there a specific issue you've had? ... A certain site that won't let you in? ... I will help all I can.

One hint that Dr M mentioned might help you out. Use google from the "search" options provided.
Google any site you frequently want to go to and open it. Then bookmark it.

I have also used the Getjar app store to get apps for the New York Times, CBS news, CNET, and many others.
They are then accessible thru the the apps/games icon in the menus.

tktim

tktim
December 7, 2012, 2:54 am
DoctorM
tktim
Thanks everyone!

If you reject an incoming call by clicking the reject button (bottom right) it goes to voice mail. I tested it. The
rejected person has to leave a message instead of just hanging up. Your correct there is no silent ring tone
setting for groups... But if you put the people you don't want to hear from in a group with a special ring tone,
then just ignore those special rings tones. Just don't answer or select reject. Silent would be better but that's
not an option.
Create your own "Silent Ringtone". Go to your Voice Recorder. Select REC and be as quiet as possible.
Watch the timer and stop at approximately 20 seconds which is about the normal time for a ringtone.
Really long times will not work and waste memory space. When you click Stop it auto saves file as a long number.

Now select rename and change long number to "Silent". Select Save. Now assign "Silent" ringtone to your contract
or group.. Note: The file extension for this file will be .amr which will work as a ringtone. I've tested this and it works.
Hope this helps.

Mike47d

I'm a newbie here and this is my first post... BTW, really like this forum.

I found a link that deals with getting rid of the keyboard in Opera Mini and the LG 840g.

It worked for me: http://is.gd/mini71

Instructions were to go here and download modified Opera Mini and the keyboard would be gone.
As I said, it worked for me.

first smartphone

How can I get my Belkin 300 router to connect with the wifi on my new LG 840g? I was on phone for 70 minutes
with a rep at Belkin; we changed the router to a WEP, changed my user name, changed my password. She had
me power up my Kindle Fire which connected immediately as soon as I changed my password.

But, alas, my new LG 840g still will not allow me to connect to my Belkin wireless router. (The LG 840g connects
via a weak signal in my neighborhood and also connects at public places with wifi)... Thanks for your help!

Otis

first smartphone
December 6, 2012, 7:05 pm
How can I get my Belkin 300 router to connect with the wifi on my new LG 840g? I was on phone for 70 minutes
with a rep at Belkin; we changed the router to a WEP, changed my user name, changed my password. She had
me power up my Kindle Fire which connected immediately as soon as I changed my password.

But, alas, my new LG 840g still will not allow me to connect to my Belkin wireless router. (The LG 840g connects
via a weak signal in my neighborhood and also connects at public places with wifi)... Thanks for your help!
Also been having a problem getting an LG 840g to communicate with a Belkin N-150 wireless router.
A Samsung s390g, and several other wifi peripherals work with it perfectly, jut not the 840. Is this just
something with using a Belkin router? ... Any tips/other experiences are appreciated.... Otis

Tegan

Has anyone tried a bluetooth mini keyboard on this device?.. I checked the bluetooth devices that can be
added and it didn't seem that you could use the mini keyboard, but that could just be because of a lack of
documentation for all devices in the instructions.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Otis
December 8, 2012, 4:17 pm
first smartphone
December 6, 2012, 7:05 pm

Also been having a problem getting an LG 840g to communicate with a Belkin N-150 wireless router.
A Samsung s390g, and several other wifi peripherals work with it perfectly, jut not the 840. Is this just
something with using a Belkin router? ... Any tips/other experiences are appreciated.... Otis
I'm not familiar with a Belkin router... My wireless system emanates from the AT&T gateway box, which distributes
cable TV and internet throughout the house using both Ethernet and WiFi. It has a both a network password, and
a wireless key. When the LG 840G asks for a password input, I input the wireless key -- not the network password.

You might look to see whether you have printed on your wireless hub, or in its user manual, a code or key specifically
for wireless. I really can't help you more on that piece of equipment.

The only other thing I can think of (and I don't know whether it is even possible) is to put the LG 840G into discovery
mode, and then search for the LG 840G from the wireless station.

tbates57
Member Avatar

tktim
December 8, 2012, 2:40 am
tktim
December 7, 2012, 2:54 am
DoctorM
tktim
Thanks everyone!

not an option.
Create your own "Silent Ringtone". Go to your Voice Recorder. Select REC and be as quiet as possible.
Watch the timer and stop at approximately 20 seconds which is about the normal time for a ringtone.
Really long times will not work and waste memory space. When you click Stop it auto saves file as a long number.

Now select rename and change long number to "Silent". Select Save. Now assign "Silent" ringtone to your contract
or group.. Note: The file extension for this file will be .amr which will work as a ringtone. I've tested this and it works.
Hope this helps.
Great solution!
Thanks

cutiegirl89
Member Avatar

I wonder if you can upload pictures to other websites like twitter, facebook, and other socials networks from the
phone itself.

Although I asked this question on the Samsung s390g, I was wondering if this phone can do the same, due to
the LG 900g only uploading pics to facebook.

Tarkio101

cutiegirl89
December 8, 2012, 8:37 pm
I wonder if you can upload pictures to other websites like twitter, facebook, and other socials networks from the
phone itself.

Although I asked this question on the Samsung s390g, I was wondering if this phone can do the same, due to
I don't use Facebook, but I know people who do upload photos to FB from this phone... I didn't ask them exactly
how, but I know it's possible. Neither of them are by any means "power users" so I know it's fairly straight forward.

However, I do know that if you log in thru the SNS app that comes built into the phone, you can log into FB, Twitter, etc.
From within Facebook, you can actually open the camera, take a pic, and it posts directly into Facebook or Twitter.

I know your are asking about pictures already taken and saved in the phone, but I thought I would point out that
other capability since it's pretty convenient.

Tech
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
December 8, 2012, 9:28 pm
cutiegirl89
phone itself.

I don't use Facebook, but I know people who do upload photos to FB from this phone... I didn't ask them exactly
how, but I know it's possible. Neither of them are by any means "power users" so I know it's fairly straight forward.

However, I do know that if you log in thru the SNS app that comes built into the phone, you can log into FB, Twitter, etc.
From within Facebook, you can actually open the camera, take a pic, and it posts directly into Facebook or Twitter.

I know your are asking about pictures already taken and saved in the phone, but I thought I would point out that
Heh. Convenient ain't the half of it. ^o) .. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2242255/Facebook

Am really losing faith in consumers ability to think critically. Social networking is really beginning to give itself
ultimate permissions on these devices. Nobody seems to notice...nobody seems to care.

Tech
Member Avatar

Doc, your fix with the memory card reminded me that I had several of them loaded up with pictures from years past.
I've since gotten them all on hard drive thanks to your experience and feedback on the music issue.

Thanks for that update.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ Tech
Glad I could help, and thanks for your tips also.

Dw1031

Curmudgeon
November 30, 2012, 5:06 pm

I received my data cable yesterday. I have tried since then to get it to work. It did not come with any software.
Was it supposed to? when I hook up phone to laptop, phone says,connect as mass storage, the only option is to
click OK. then the phone says Mass storage with a picture of a card and arrows going around it and under neither
that it says connected as Mass Storage Mode. The only option on phone now is exit. The laptop in the beginning
brought up a wizard to download drivers... But it says hardware couldn't be found. In my device manager it has a
USB Lg device but it has a yellow question mark. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?.. Thanks

annepani

Dw1031
December 9, 2012, 2:08 pm
I received my data cable yesterday. I have tried since then to get it to work. It did not come with any software.
Was it supposed to? when I hook up phone to laptop, phone says,connect as mass storage, the only option is to
click OK. then the phone says Mass storage with a picture of a card and arrows going around it and under neither
that it says connected as Mass Storage Mode. The only option on phone now is exit. The laptop in the beginning
brought up a wizard to download drivers... But it says hardware couldn't be found. In my device manager it has a
USB Lg device but it has a yellow question mark. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?.. Thanks
1 - No, the data cable does not need software.
2 - After the phone shows the micro card with circling arrows, everything is ready. Leave the phone alone and go
to the computer.
3 - Don't go to Device Manager... Go to your list of drives and it should show as Removable Disk(E) or something
like that. You now treat the phone like any hard drive, or rather, treat the micro card as a hard drive. Windows can
not communicate with the phone's internal memory.

Dw1031

When I go to My computer to look for devices with removable storage, it show E drive but it is my Dvd/cd.

I open that and there is nothing in there.

annepani

Dw1031
December 9, 2012, 2:34 pm
When I go to My computer to look for devices with removable storage, it show E drive but it is my Dvd/cd.
I open that and there is nothing in there.
You have a microSD card in the phone, correct? You should, because (1) the phone comes with one preinstalled
and (2) the phone shows a picture of the card when you connect the USB cable.

Ok, go to My Computer and list all the drives it shows... Start with the C drive, your main hard drive, and post back
here with everything the OS lists after C. One of us here should be able to recognize the way your OS is naming it.
Also, starting with D, open every drive and see what is on them. Maybe you can find it that way.

BTW, what OS do you have?

Dw1031

Yes, a card came with the phone. Local C, Presario_RP(D:)
devices with removable storage:DVD/CD-RW drive(E:)
windows XP
Thats it. Local C has alot of stuff in it, but I don't know what to look for.

cutiegirl89
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
December 8, 2012, 9:28 pm
cutiegirl89
phone itself.

Thanks for the answer. :)

annepani

Dw1031
December 9, 2012, 3:51 pm
Yes, a card came with the phone. Local C, Presario_RP(D:)
devices with removable storage:DVD/CD-RW drive(E:)
windows XP
Thats it. Local C has a lot of stuff in it, but I don't know what to look for.
It wouldn't be in C. You can ignore that.

The phone/microSD isn't showing up at all. Did you have the phone plugged into the computer when you came
up with this list?

The first time you unplugged the phone from the laptop, did you 'stop' the USB port before unplugging the phone?
Did you wait for the 'Safe to Remove Hardware' before unplugging it? If not, the USB port won't be able to recognize
any device inserted after that.

Reboot the computer (that releases the USB port) and insert the phone again. Then do My Computer and see if
the phone is recognized.

And just to be clear -- you said a card came with the phone. AND THE CARD IS INSTALLED IN THE PHONE,
CORRECT? Just to be clear. You might want to reinstall the card in the phone, too.

And by the way, in my computer Device Manager doesn't have any yellow question marks (missing device driver).

Stick with it... We'll figure it out.

Dw1031

Right, the phone/card is not showing up on laptop. The phone was plugged in when I gave my report.
I have been unplugging it without using the safely remove, because it is not an option.
I have also pulled the card out of phone and reinstalled. Restarted laptop... hope you can help me.
Thanks

sqwento

Dw1031,

1. Power off both the phone and the computer and then turn them back on.
2. Insert cable into phone and then into usb port on the computer.
3. When prompted to "Connect to mass storage" click OK (XP acknowledges the addition of the drive by making the
same sound as when you connect an accessory drive like a thumb drive, prior to this My Computer will not display
the phone) the phone will say "Connected as mass storage mode".
4. Go to My Computer, as you say your hard drive will be C, the DVD drive will be D, E should be the phone's memory
card displayed as "Removable Disk (E).

Hope this will work for you, if not do you have any other way to check the memory card (card reader, other phone, etc)
or perhaps a different card for the LG840g to try.

Dw1031

Unfortunately, no it did not work. I don't have another sd card or another way to try this one. Wow. this stinks.

Thanks.

annepani

Dw1031
December 9, 2012, 9:05 pm
Unfortunately, no it did not work. I don't have another sd card or another way to try this one. Wow. this stinks.
Thanks.
Are you sure you have a data/charging cable and not just a charging cable. They look identical but a charging cable
cannot transfer data. I don't have a charging cable so I can't tell you what the messages on the phone would be.

Dw1031

annepani
December 9, 2012, 2:21 pm
Dw1031
2 - After the phone shows the micro card with circling arrows, everything is ready. Leave the phone alone and go
to the computer.
3 - Don't go to Device Manager... Go to your list of drives and it should show as Removable Disk(E) or something
like that. You now treat the phone like any hard drive, or rather, treat the micro card as a hard drive. Windows can

Dw1031

I am not sure how I reposted the above... Sorry, been a long day.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Dw1031
December 9, 2012, 9:58 pm
annepani
Dw1031
to the computer.
AnnePani is correct - you don't need any drivers for the USB data cable.

Here is a tip to see which drive your PC assigns to the phone's microSDHC card (it is not always the last drive listed) --

This is for Windows XP users --

Before you connect the phone using the data cable, open the window on the PC that shows all the drives on the
PC (click on the computer icon in the tray at the bottom left of the screen next to the START button).. This window
is labeled MY COMPUTER. You are going to watch this window when you connect your phone to see which new
drive letter pops up -- I recommend you do NOT make this window full screen, because there will be other windows
popping up that you will want to see at the same time.

Now connect the phone to the PC, and connect as Mass Storage, and note which new drive letter pops up in the
MY COMPUTER window -- that will be the Phone's microSD card, now controlled by your PC. Remember the drive
letter associated with that - you will need it later.

You should also have a new small window pop up on the PC screen (labeled REMOVABLE DISK __ ) that asks
you want you want to do with this new drive. Cursor down to the next-to-the-last option in the pop up window that
says OPEN FOLDER TO VIEW FILES -- click on that option so that it is highlighted, then click OK.

A new window will pop up, which will be the microSD card, containing the folders on it (Audio, Games & Apps,
LGSYS, Other Files, Pictures, Video). Don't mess with the LGSYS folder... Put new pictures and graphics into
PICTURES folder. Put new music or audio files into AUDIO folder. You can open any folder, and you can drag
and drop files (and folders) from anywhere on your PC to the microSD folders.

When you are finished moving and copying files and folders, close the PC folder representing the phone's microSD
card. Then go down to the tray at he bottom right of the screen and click on the icon that is a green arrow over a bar
(Safely Remove Hardware) and click on it. A list of drives will pop up from it - click on the item that includes the drive
letter representing the microSD card... A small pop-up window will appear saying SAFE TO REMOVE HARDWARE
(this closes all open files on the microSD card).
Now you can safely tap the exit button on the phone, and then disconnect the data cable.

sqwento

DoctorM
December 9, 2012, 11:21 pm
Dw1031
annepani
Dw1031
to the computer.

Here is a tip to see which drive your PC assigns to the phone's microSDHC card (it is not always the last drive listed) --

Before you connect the phone using the data cable, open the window on the PC that shows all the drives on the PC (click on the computer icon in the tray at the bottom left of the screen next to the START button) This window is labeled MY COMPUTER. You are going to watch this window when you connect your phone to see which new drive letter pops up -- I recommend you do NOT make this window full screen, because there will be other windows popping up that you will want to see at the same time.

Now connect the phone to the PC, and connect as Mass Storage, and note which new drive letter pops up in the MY COMPUTER window -- that will be the Phone's microSD card, now controlled by your PC. Remember the drive letter associated with that - you will need it later.

You should also have a new small window pop up on the PC screen (labeled REMOVABLE DISK __) that asks you want you want to do with this new drive. Cursor down to the next-to-the-last option in the pop up window that says OPEN FOLDER TO VIEW FILES -- click on that option so that it is highlighted, then click OK.

A new window will pop up, which will be the microSD card, containing the folders on it (Audio, Games & Apps, LGSYS, Other Files, Pictures, Video). Don't mess with the LGSYS folder. Put new pictures and graphics into PICTURES folder. Put new music or audio files into AUDIO folder. You can open any folder, and you can drag and drop files (and folders) from anywhere on your PC to the microSD folders.

When you are finished moving and copying files and folders, close the PC folder representing the phone's microSD card. Then go down to the tray at he bottom right of the screen and click on the icon that is a green arrow over a bar (Safely Remove Hardware) and click on it. A list of drives will pop up from it - click on the item that includes the drive letter representing the microSD card. A small pop-up window will appear saying SAFE TO REMOVE HARDWARE (this closes all open files on the microSD card).
Now you can safely tap the exit button on the phone, and then disconnect the data cable.
DW1031
I think your cable is transmitting data as the phone is recognizing the connection to the computer (when I had trouble with a cable the phone didn't give the "connect as mass storage" prompt) which points to either the micro sd card or the computer as the problem. Can the phone save data to the card? If a second sd card isn't successful try plugging the phone into a different usb port on your computer and/or if you or plugging into a hub connect it directly to the computer. Do you have access to a different computer which you can try to connect to? Will the phone store data on the card instead of the internal memory (you can test this by saving photos to the memory card)? Consider reformatting the card under Settings/Phone/Memory/Used Space/Memory Card but note that you will lose anything you stored on the card prior to the reformat.
Buying another cable is an option but I would do so at a local store where I could return it easily (Target, WalMart etc) if this doesn't solve the problem or the micro usb cables at my Dollar Tree have worked perfectly for my LG840. Again when I had problems with the cable my phone wouldn't prompt me as yours does to connect as mass storage. I found that a card reader for my computer was very helpful too, it allowed me tranfer mp3 music files from my computer to the card which I would then put back into the powered off phone. After turning the phone on I access the songs and listen to them. Bluetooth is another option.

the Wizard
Member Avatar

Tarkio,
I'm trying to get to the Google mobile site (www.google.com/mobile) ... I tried a short time ago and it again gave
me the message that the web page I was trying to reach could not be found. I was able to reach it once on Friday
but haven't been able to get to it since. I thought I had bookmarked it but couldn't find it in the bookmarks tonight.

Generally, I too, am very pleased with the 840G, quite an improvement over the 800G in my opinion. A strange
thing I noticed tonight is that when I was on WiFi TracFone twice deducted 0.5 units from my minutes total. That
doesn't make sense since I am not using their network. I wonder if anyone else has had this happen to them.
I doubled checked to make sure I was on WiFi and I was. Very puzzling.

By the way, how do you use the quote feature? I wanted to use that in this reply but wasn't quite sure how to do it.

Tarkio101

I've never had units deducted when using wifi. If it's deducting units, that means you are not on wifi.

The best way to get to the Google site is by typing in the address manually. The link they provide makes it
all lag and go slowly for no reason. I have no idea why, but I don't use it. Just search for www.google.com.

Dw1031

sqwento
December 10, 2012, 1:05 am
DoctorM
December 9, 2012, 11:21 pm
Dw1031
annepani
Dw1031
to the computer.

Before you connect the phone using the data cable, open the window on the PC that shows all the drives on the PC (click on the computer icon in the tray at the bottom left of the screen next to the START button) This window is labeled MY COMPUTER. You are going to watch this window when you connect your phone to see which new drive letter pops up -- I recommend you do NOT make this window full screen, because there will be other windows popping up that you will want to see at the same time.

Now connect the phone to the PC, and connect as Mass Storage, and note which new drive letter pops up in the MY COMPUTER window -- that will be the Phone's microSD card, now controlled by your PC. Remember the drive letter associated with that - you will need it later.

You should also have a new small window pop up on the PC screen (labeled REMOVABLE DISK __) that asks you want you want to do with this new drive. Cursor down to the next-to-the-last option in the pop up window that says OPEN FOLDER TO VIEW FILES -- click on that option so that it is highlighted, then click OK.

A new window will pop up, which will be the microSD card, containing the folders on it (Audio, Games & Apps, LGSYS, Other Files, Pictures, Video). Don't mess with the LGSYS folder. Put new pictures and graphics into PICTURES folder. Put new music or audio files into AUDIO folder. You can open any folder, and you can drag and drop files (and folders) from anywhere on your PC to the microSD folders.

When you are finished moving and copying files and folders, close the PC folder representing the phone's microSD card. Then go down to the tray at he bottom right of the screen and click on the icon that is a green arrow over a bar (Safely Remove Hardware) and click on it. A list of drives will pop up from it - click on the item that includes the drive letter representing the microSD card. A small pop-up window will appear saying SAFE TO REMOVE HARDWARE (this closes all open files on the microSD card).
DW1031
I think your cable is transmitting data as the phone is recognizing the connection to the computer (when I had trouble with a cable the phone didn't give the "connect as mass storage" prompt) which points to either the micro sd card or the computer as the problem. Can the phone save data to the card? If a second sd card isn't successful try plugging the phone into a different usb port on your computer and/or if you or plugging into a hub connect it directly to the computer. Do you have access to a different computer which you can try to connect to? Will the phone store data on the card instead of the internal memory (you can test this by saving photos to the memory card)? Consider reformatting the card under Settings/Phone/Memory/Used Space/Memory Card but note that you will lose anything you stored on the card prior to the reformat.
Buying another cable is an option but I would do so at a local store where I could return it easily (Target, WalMart etc) if this doesn't solve the problem or the micro usb cables at my Dollar Tree have worked perfectly for my LG840. Again when I had problems with the cable my phone wouldn't prompt me as yours does to connect as mass storage. I found that a card reader for my computer was very helpful too, it allowed me tranfer mp3 music files from my computer to the card which I would then put back into the powered off phone. After turning the phone on I access the songs and listen to them. Bluetooth is another option.
I did as you listed, but the only thing that always pops up is "Found new hardware Wizard," and that is a dead end.
Don't have another cable or SD card to try. It is saying Mass storage on the phone but nothing on laptop.
I tried this on my desktop PC and it is doing the same &*^%$ thing.

Dw1031

The phone is saving pictures to the SD card. And I can copy and paste them from the Sd card to phone memory.
I just talked to Tracfone and they said they would not send me a new SD card, but would send me a new phone.
I am not sure if that is what I need to do at the point. Transferring all my minutes and contacts, ect is a nightmare.
But I will if ya'll think it is the only option.

Otis

DoctorM
December 8, 2012, 5:48 pm
I'm not familiar with a Belkin router... My wireless system emanates from the AT&T gateway box, which distributes
cable TV and internet throughout the house using both Ethernet and WiFi. It has a both a network password, and
a wireless key. When the LG 840G asks for a password input, I input the wireless key -- not the network password.

You might look to see whether you have printed on your wireless hub, or in its user manual, a code or key
specifically for wireless. I really can't help you more on that piece of equipment.

The only other thing I can think of (and I don't know whether it is even possible) is to put the LG 840G into
discovery mode, and then search for the LG 840G from the wireless station.
Thanks Doctor. I don't see any way to try those suggestions. They are appreciated though. The router works with
4 other WiFi peripherals just fine, the phone has connected on another wifi hotspot, so I know both work, just not
with each other for some reason. Oh, and if I tweak the phone's Wifi settings and change the 'automatic' to 'static',
(and add the appropriate IP addresses), I can get the wifi connection to quickly communicate with the phone, but
when I then go to the tracfone browser, it will not connect and tells me 'the requested host is not found'. So between
Tracfone and Belkin both blaming each other for the problem, I think I'll have to learn to live without out wifi on this
handset from my home.

annepani

Dw1031
December 10, 2012, 12:33 pm
The phone is saving pictures to the SD card. And I can copy and paste them from the Sd card to phone memory.
I just talked to Tracfone and they said they would not send me a new SD card, but would send me a new phone.
I am not sure if that is what I need to do at the point. Transferring all my minutes and contacts, ect is a nightmare.
But I will if ya'll think it is the only option.
Are the files on the SD card important to you? You might want to try formatting the card, but that will wipe out
everything currently on the card.

Also, go to a Walmart, Bestbuy, Target, Radio shack, etc, buy a new data/charging cable. If that works, you know
the first cable was either a bad cable or charging-only cable. If the new cable doesn't work either, then return the
cable and you are not out any money. Take Tracfone up on their offer to send you a new phone.

Don't be afraid of transferring from one phone to another. I'm about to do it tomorrow. Nothing to worry about.
And transferring contacts phone to phone is a breeze with bluetooth.

And above all, don't live with a bad situation because you dread one phone call. You'll get through it.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ Dw1031 --
Sounds like the next steps are to test at least three items separately to isolate where the problem might lie -- the microSD card, the data cable, and the PC. This can be simple, or it can be complex. And all three could have problems.

Testing the microSD card.
If you have a micro to SD adapter, and an SD card reader on your PC, just pop the microSD into the SD adapter, and the SD adapter into the SD reader and see if the PC can read it. If so, then the microSD card is good, and you can eliminate it as the problem.

But if you can't read it, that doesn't necessarily mean the microSD card is bad -- it could be your SD card reader is not working. So you would want to make another test -- on another PC, possibly at your local Best Buy store, Radio Shack, or library. And if you have a USB SD card reader, you can try that and see if the PC can read the microSD card through the USB port.

If any of these alternates read the microSD card, then you have eliminated the microSD as the problem. If not, then ... it is still not necessarily the microSD card, though it probably is ...

Testing the data cable.
Probably the best way to test a data cable would probably be at a store like Best Buy or Radio Shack. If you had a friend with a known working data cable, and it worked on your PC, but your data cable didn't, then that would mean your data cable wasn't working, and you would need to replace it.

Testing the PC.
This could be a pretty formidable undertaking, because so many things could be interfering with your PC's ability to read the microSD card.

The easiest and surest test is to hook your PC up with another phone, microSD, and data cable set that was known to work. If the known set works with your PC, then you can eliminate the PC as the problem. And if the known set does not work with your PC, then definitely there is a problem with your PC.

If your PC is running Windows XP, then you are likely running an older computer (like mine) that freezes and hangs up and has to be rebooted frequently. You probably need to reboot your PC, and you may need to do a full virus scan, and may need software that can remove malware and spyware, which can consume an inordinate amount of computer resources and interfere with legitimate software by constantly calling for internet access. I run both McAfee and Stopzilla. McAfee is good for traditional viruses, but does little for malware and spyware. Stopzilla is good at finding malware and spyware.

If that doesn't do it, then maybe its time to give yourself a new PC for Christmas.

And then there is the phone itself.
If TracFone is willing to send you a new phone, you might want to take them up on it. They will send you a pre-paid envelope, and they require the old phone to be returned (and received) before they will ship the new phone. So if you elect to do this, you will be out of a phone for several days.

Dw1031

Thank you for the detailed ways to try. My pc's don't have bluetooth, or a card reader. I do think that I will try to take
my phone and cable somewhere to see if it works on another pc. Testing card and cable. A new PC is needed but
maybe not this Christmas... lol

I will update when I find anything else out... Thanks again.

winnie

the Wizard
December 10, 2012, 3:06 am
Tarkio,
I'm trying to get to the Google mobile site (www.google.com/mobile) ... I tried a short time ago and it again gave
me the message that the web page I was trying to reach could not be found. I was able to reach it once on Friday
but haven't been able to get to it since. I thought I had bookmarked it but couldn't find it in the bookmarks tonight.

Generally, I too, am very pleased with the 840G, quite an improvement over the 800G in my opinion. A strange
thing I noticed tonight is that when I was on WiFi TracFone twice deducted 0.5 units from my minutes total. That
doesn't make sense since I am not using their network. I wonder if anyone else has had this happen to them.

By the way, how do you use the quote feature? I wanted to use that in this reply but wasn't quite sure how to do it.
I'm a newbie here, but got my new phone last week and have also noticed that I'm being charged small amounts
(.16, .18, .58) when I'm not doing anything on the phone. Am I being charged for arriving emails if I don't have the
wifi connected?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

winnie
December 10, 2012, 5:27 pm
the Wizard
Tarkio,

I'm a newbie here but got my new phone last week and have also noticed that I'm being charged small
amounts (.16, .18, .58) when I'm not doing anything on the phone. Am I being charged for arriving emails
if I don't have the wifi connected?
That's interesting.
I don't use email on the phone, but I would suspect it as the cause of being charged.

Do you have email activated?
And if so, do you have the "Push" option activated?

winnie

DoctorM
December 10, 2012, 6:02 pm
winnie
December 10, 2012, 5:27 pm
the Wizard
Tarkio,

I'm a newbie here but got my new phone last week and have also noticed that I'm being charged small
amounts (.16, .18, .58) when I'm not doing anything on the phone. Am I being charged for arriving emails
if I don't have the wifi connected?
That's interesting.
I don't use email on the phone, but I would suspect it as the cause of being charged.

Do you have email activated?
And if so, do you have the "Push" option activated?
I do have the email activated but don't know what or where the "Push" option is. Thanks for the help.
I did change the access points from Tracfone WAP to WLAN to see if that makes a difference.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.