Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: .... Who would you like to see win the Baseball World Series?
Kansas City Royals
San Francisco Giants
I don't care who wins.
Poll Maker
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up here -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have total access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) LG 840g Phone Topic
Topic Started: September 24, 2012, 12:41 am (182,313 Views)
annepani

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts or questions on this phone, feel free to post it all here ... thanks.

* Tracfone LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?

* Net10 LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LastRone
November 14, 2012, 7:46 pm
IF I find a great deal on the LG 840g online and TracFone does NOT have it listed under my Zip code can I
still register and use it with TracFone - with the Triple minutes?
Tracfone does not have the LG 840 listed under ANY zipcode. It isn't on tracfone.com yet. It is only available
through retail stores and some online sites like hsn.com and ebay.

The LG 840 has been shipping with a Tracfone/ATT sim, so if you have ATT in your area you should be able
to activate the phone just fine.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tarkio101

Well, my HSN phone has been shipped, so I should be back in business in a few days. I'll try to get some of the
questions people have about specific functions of the phone that i need it in hand to be able to answer.

I'm anxious to get back to the task of getting rid of that stupid extra keypad when using the Opera browser and
most other apps... I know there is a solution out there.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DoctorM
Member Avatar

LastRone
INFO QUESTION:

IF I find a great deal on the LG 840g online...and TracFone does NOT have it listed under my Zip code...
can I still register and use it with TracFone - with the Triple minutes?

Also, I saw some comments about paying $20 to use the WIFI...can someone please EXPLAIN this to me?
I'm not at all familiar with this ... or really WHAT IT MEANS to have/use the WIFI ... HOW is it different from
going online without WIFI?

Thank you.
TracFone isn't listing the LG 840G at all right now, so that means it is either out of stock, or it is deferring to other
vendors, such as HSN. So don't go by what is listed for your zip code on the TracFone web site right now.

The LG 840G is still being offered by HSN, though not at the $99 price (its now $119)... You can go to HSN and
put in your zip code, and it will tell you whether the phone will work well in it. Click the link below. just above the
"description" tab is a red bar that reads "Click here to verify zip code coverage."

http://www.hsn.com/electronics/lg-touchscreen-3g-wifi-camera-smartphone-with-1400-minutes_m-10062425_xp.aspx

Even if your zip code is not supported, you still might be able to use the phone, but your signal strength and
coverage may be marginal, and you might be very disappointed in the phone, when it was a matter of GSM
coverage in your area, not the fault of the phone.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
LastRone:

Also, I saw some comments about paying $20 to use the WIFI...can someone please EXPLAIN this to me?
I'm not at all familiar with this .... or really WHAT IT MEANS to have/use the WIFI .... HOW is it different from
* LastRone ... hi ... I don't know where you saw that info at, surely not on here?
* I am guessing you saw that info on one of those "other forums" out there in the human wasteland.

* WiFi (internet) is free to use if you are connected to your home WiFi router - or at a WiFi hotspot like McDonalds, etc.

* If you're not connected to a WiFi hotspot, you'll have to use the phone browser to access the internet which will then
* cost you minutes off your phone while using the browser (internet).

* Hope this makes sense, if not, ask again, and I'm sure one of these lovely people will help you out... good luck. ;)

WiFi Turk B-)

Tech
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
November 14, 2012, 10:21 pm
Well, my HSN phone has been shipped, so I should be back in business in a few days. I'll try to get some of
the questions people have about specific functions of the phone that i need it in hand to be able to answer.

I'm anxious to get back to the task of getting rid of that stupid extra keypad when using the Opera browser and
most other apps... I know there is a solution out there.
You can't do it, Tark. I'm telling you they made it that way on purpose. Besides, even if you use any other browser
it will ultimately default and open up the trac browser if you click on certain links or go to download anything.
They've rendered alternate apps useless.

Trac browser itself is googlefied, if that's even a word, so things like googlemaps app use the virtual keypad....
which may be why they have fudged around with the menu system removing the means to get rid of the virtual
keypad.

Personally, I think the lg800g has way more features than the 840g. The only thing better is the design and wi-fi
on the 840.

If I had a youtube account, I'd scribble up a good once over on that "review" on youtube. They didn't really review
the thing that well. Maybe just trying to generate interest in it more than anything, I think. I thought it was funny that
HSN called the thing a smartphone. Checked my email on the thing this morning and had two emails with pdf
attached and a document in the other. Now, do you think I could read or even download them? Nope.

And good luck finding any kind of app do do it. Even if you can it's full of the untrusted midlet popups every second,
if it even works. All I see are silly games (which in my opinion are not apps...at least not useful for anything) and they
don't even work. Even if they did you have the keyboard issue. Defeats the purpose of a full touch screen. It's already
small enough at 3.2 inches and now the virtual keypad takes up a third of that... not even counting the ui of the app
you're using. By the time you're done you may have around an 1/8 inch to play with.

Still no response from any of our resident trac reps either so...what's that tell you? I'd like to know why I can't use a
32gb card. It said I could when I bought it. Says so right in the book and I've tried 4 different ones already. No dice.

Can't wait for Doc's update on that one.

tracfone2004

I ordered 2 of these from HSN on Sunday and the 1st. one arrived on Wed. evening. I am very impressed with that.
The second one is going to be delivered on Friday. I will be activating the first one this weekend and will let you all
know what I think. Looks like a very nice phone. Currently no one is offering a gel skin. I have a few skins here from
other phones and I am going to "rework" one of them to fit this phone... One question that I have is that on the HSN
presentation they state that the phone is designed to work on both AT&T "AND" T-Mobile. Can this be possible that
the phone can use both services?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

tracfone2004
November 15, 2012, 7:49 am
I ordered 2 of these from HSN on Sunday and the 1st. one arrived on Wed. evening. I am very impressed with that.
The second one is going to be delivered on Friday. I will be activating the first one this weekend and will let you all
know what I think. Looks like a very nice phone. Currently no one is offering a gel skin. I have a few skins here from
other phones and I am going to "rework" one of them to fit this phone... One question that I have is that on the HSN
presentation they state that the phone is designed to work on both AT&T "AND" T-Mobile. Can this be possible that
the phone can use both services?
It uses one or the other, but not both. Which one depends on the preferred GSMTracFone carrier in the zip code.
The SIM card itself sets the carrier (AT&T or T-Mobile).

Phones purchased on HSN or Amazom.com invariably have AT&T SIMs. But if you purchase direct from TracFone,
you will get a SIM card for the preferred carrier in your zip code.

Tech
Member Avatar

Does anyone else hove a popup every single time you make an outgoing call on this phone that says"Divert Call Set"?

This seems to be yet one more thing we don't have any control over. After talking to the trac rep this morning,
he said it's default and you can't do anything about it.

It's typically a simple feature to divert calls to your voicemail or whatever. Maybe another phone even.

Except I used to have call waiting on every other phone I bought from tracfone. Now on this ...thing... we have no
means to get to call forwarding settings or voicemail settings and it's defaulting to "Divert Call Set" every time I go
to make a call.

I don't want my calls diverted...anywhere. And especially by default with no means to change it.

My traditional understanding of the term divert is this -- Divert: to turn aside or from a path or course; deflect.
So...where are my calls being diverted too? And say's who? Why can't we get into a menu or something and
change that? If anyone can figure it out then please do tell.

Just seems like there is one thing after another that agitates me to no end with this phone. Gosh. Is it just me?
In retrospect I have concluded that I dislike this phone more than any other tracfone I've ever had over the last
decade. Sure, it looks good and has a touchscreen. But that's the only thing I find appealing with it. Just my opinion.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ Tech --
I suspect its just you, but I can't be sure until I have that model in my hands.
And I did give you opportunity to trade it in for a real smart phone, an offer that is still available, by the way.

Yalda

DoctorM
November 15, 2012, 12:07 am
LastRone
INFO QUESTION:

IF I find a great deal on the LG 840g online...and TracFone does NOT have it listed under my Zip code...

I'm not at all familiar with this ... or really WHAT IT MEANS to have/use the WIFI ... HOW is it different from

Thank you.
TracFone isn't listing the LG 840G at all right now, so that means it is either out of stock, or it is deferring to other
vendors, such as HSN. So don't go by what is listed for your zip code on the TracFone web site right now.

The LG 840G is still being offered by HSN, though not at the $99 price (its now $119)... You can go to HSN and
put in your zip code, and it will tell you whether the phone will work well in it. Click the link below. just above the
"description" tab is a red bar that reads "Click here to verify zip code coverage."

http://www.hsn.com/electronics/lg-touchscreen-3g-wifi-camera-smartphone-with-1400-minutes_m-10062425_xp.aspx

Even if your zip code is not supported, you still might be able to use the phone, but your signal strength and
coverage may be marginal, and you might be very disappointed in the phone, when it was a matter of GSM
Since I believe my coverage is under Sprint (not ATT) in the Denver, CO area, guess this phone is NOT an option.
I need a new phone and thought this would be great!

Walmart has a "tester" that checks my Zip code and says that "there is NO Coverage in this area"....

Is it just a matter of Time/waiting until they start using this phone in this area? ...... Thanks for the help.

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
November 15, 2012, 11:56 am
@ Tech --
I suspect its just you, but I can't be sure until I have that model in my hands.
And I did give you opportunity to trade it in for a real smart phone, an offer that is still available, by the way.
Nah. Can't be just me, Doc. I think that once we have folks genuinly either here or other boards actually evaluating
the thing instead of getting themselves hyped up over a droid looking phone with a touch screen and what case to
get and all of that stuff then maybe we may get some feedback.

I don't know though. Not holding my breath. The one youtube review that I have seen shouldn't in any manner be
respected as an actual review though. Maybe a sales pitch.

I just can't believe there's no way to turn on call waiting. That's nuts.

Edit-- I found that it has a "hold" button after wasting some minutes on the phone and then calling it with my landline
while I was checking voicemail through the device... So...maybe diverting means redirecting through the devices ui/
hardware/software. It has it's own icon on the top of the phone when you're checking your voicemail with the device
itself.

Also still cannot change the voicemail ringtone. In fact, you don't even see the actual tone in the list.. So it looks like
voicemail is it's own separate software on the phone itself and something else we're locked out of changing settings
on. That's peculiar why this is. Who knows. Still can't stand that dumb popup every time I go to make a phone call though.

Tech
Member Avatar

LastRone
November 15, 2012, 12:52 pm
DoctorM
November 15, 2012, 12:07 am
LastRone
INFO QUESTION:

Thank you.

Since I believe my coverage is under Sprint (not ATT) in the Denver, CO area, guess this phone is NOT an option.
I need a new phone and thought this would be great!

Walmart has a "tester" that checks my Zip code and says that "there is NO Coverage in this area"....

Is it just a matter of Time/waiting until they start using this phone in this area? ...... Thanks for the help.
That thing is probably wrong, LastRone... They probably just haven't updated it.
I know some people who thought they couldn't use it for the same reason and turns out they could.

Yalda

So...is there a way I can find out if this phone will work here?

annepani

LastRone
November 15, 2012, 1:48 pm
Yes, there is.
Go to tracfone.com, click on phones, put in your zip code to see what Tracfone has defined your market ID to be.

You do this in the following way: When the phones come up, look in the URL and locate the phrase 'marketid=' to
determine how Tracfone has classified your market.

GSM4 = ATT
GSM5 = T-Mobile
CO = Verizon or some lesser CDMA carrriers

And just because Tracfone associates your market with one carrier does not mean you can't activate phones with
the other carriers as long as they have towers around you. Tracfone has my marketid as ATT only. I am surrounded
by Verizon towers and have no problem activating Tracfone CDMA phones on Verizon.

Go to tracfone.com > Phones and see what marketid comes up for you.

mowestusa

Some frustration has been expressed with the LG 840g, and many of those comments are valid. I have to admit
that after a week of use, I'm really enjoying the LG 840g... I will outline some of the pluses and minuses below:

Minuses:
1. Pop-ups for Untrusted Java Apps that you install, these make installed apps a negative and frustrating experience.
2. Large Navigation Pad that you can't eliminate from Java Apps that you install from getjar.com
3. Having to enter your user name and password into the built in apps using a numeric keyboard instead of the
qwerty keyboard available in other apps (like in the Calendar App, SNS App, and others).
4. Having to use the numeric keyboard instead of the qwerty keyboard when entering information on a webpage
(putting in the url you can use the qwerty keyboard, but entering a user name and password into gmail, not an option).
5. No way to sync your contacts or calendar from other sources with the phone apps.
6. Browser does not remember your user name when you try to log into GCal, but it will remember your password,
and since you have to enter your email address using the numeric keyboard it is a hassle.
7. Won't open simple text documents or even html documents on the phone, claims they are "Unsupported Formats".

Pluses:
Although I have listed a number of negatives above, I have to say that I'm so happy with this phone and would not
want to go back to my old TracFone.

1. Huge upgrade in features and cost saving compared to my old Motorola w260g FLIP. Originally I did not even
have a double minutes card for my Motorola w260g FLIP... but now with Triple Minutes for life, I feel comfortable
sending and receiving texts because they are down to about 2 cents per text you send or receive.
2. I'm a low volume user of my cell phone. I still use mostly land lines and other forms of communication.
However, I am texting which has opened up new ways to communicate with people who won't answer their phone,
but will answer a text immediately. By combining the texting feature with a Google Voice account, I often can text
for free, being notified by my phone that I received a text, but using Google Voice to view and reply back to people.
Texting on the LG 840g is fun and easy with the qwerty keyboard and responsive touch screen.
3. I like the email program too. This past week I had a friend who offered to send me directions to a meeting place
by email, which I could easily get on my phone now and never had the option to do in the past.
4. The browser is frustrating, but it is nice to know that I can look up a website quickly if I have a direct url to what I
need to see in a pinch.
5. The wifi is wonderful, and I have used it to quickly look at my email just to see if an important message came in
while I was out, but I don't want to fire up a computer to look.
6. I have used the Stopwatch a few times to make sure I have steeped my tea for a solid 3 minutes instead of guessing.
7. I have used the calendar app to set reminders 5 minutes before I have to leave for another appointment so that
I don't get working on something and loose track of time.
8. The calculator with the touch screen is so much nicer than using my old Motorola w260g FLIP calculator.
9. I like having pictures of my kids with me on this nice big screen that I can show my friends.
10. The phone vibration ring is better than on the Motorola w260g FLIP so that I notice a call coming in even when
the phone is in its case on my belt.

There are legitimate frustrations, because you know the phone could do such much more if the ui would stop
limiting you, but I have no desire to go back to my Motorola w260g FLIP... This was a huge upgrade for me...
I considered buying the LG 840g only because -- after 4 years of use -- the battery in my Motorola w260g FLIP
stopped holding a charge. So don't expect a Smartphone, but if you were using a rather stripped down phone
in the past, I think you will enjoy the new features.

mowestusa

I'm still trying to find more ways to stretch the ways I use my LG 840g.

I wondered if anyone has tried the following software: http://tequilacat.org/dev/br/index-en.html

It seems to be software that would allow you to package a java program that you could download onto your phone
that would enable you to read a text document that you have embedded inside the program. It seems like it would
be a way to avoid the constant "Untrusted Midlet App" warnings, and give me a way to view text documents that I
want to have with me on the go.

- Does anyone have experience using this program with either the LG 840g or another JavaME phone?
- Does anyone have other suggestions for viewing text documents on the LG 840g?
- (I have tried a number of apps from getjar.com without success).

Tech
Member Avatar

mowestusa
November 15, 2012, 4:43 pm
Some frustration has been expressed with the LG 840g, and many of those comments are valid. I have to admit
that after a week of use, I'm really enjoying the LG 840g... I will outline some of the pluses and minuses below:

Minuses:
1. Pop-ups for Untrusted Java Apps that you install, these make installed apps a negative and frustrating experience.
2. Large Navigation Pad that you can't eliminate from Java Apps that you install from getjar.com
3. Having to enter your user name and password into the built in apps using a numeric keyboard instead of the
qwerty keyboard available in other apps (like in the Calendar App, SNS App, and others).
4. Having to use the numeric keyboard instead of the qwerty keyboard when entering information on a webpage
(putting in the url you can use the qwerty keyboard, but entering a user name and password into gmail, not an option).
5. No way to sync your contacts or calendar from other sources with the phone apps.
6. Browser does not remember your user name when you try to log into GCal, but it will remember your password,
and since you have to enter your email address using the numeric keyboard it is a hassle.
7. Won't open simple text documents or even html documents on the phone, claims they are "Unsupported Formats".

Pluses:
Although I have listed a number of negatives above, I have to say that I'm so happy with this phone and would not
want to go back to my old TracFone.

1. Huge upgrade in features and cost saving compared to my old Motorola w260g FLIP. Originally I did not even
have a double minutes card for my Motorola w260g FLIP... but now with Triple Minutes for life, I feel comfortable
sending and receiving texts because they are down to about 2 cents per text you send or receive.
2. I'm a low volume user of my cell phone. I still use mostly land lines and other forms of communication.
However, I am texting which has opened up new ways to communicate with people who won't answer their phone,
but will answer a text immediately. By combining the texting feature with a Google Voice account, I often can text
for free, being notified by my phone that I received a text, but using Google Voice to view and reply back to people.
Texting on the LG 840g is fun and easy with the qwerty keyboard and responsive touch screen.
3. I like the email program too. This past week I had a friend who offered to send me directions to a meeting place
by email, which I could easily get on my phone now and never had the option to do in the past.
4. The browser is frustrating, but it is nice to know that I can look up a website quickly if I have a direct url to what I
need to see in a pinch.
5. The wifi is wonderful, and I have used it to quickly look at my email just to see if an important message came in
while I was out, but I don't want to fire up a computer to look.
6. I have used the Stopwatch a few times to make sure I have steeped my tea for a solid 3 minutes instead of guessing.
7. I have used the calendar app to set reminders 5 minutes before I have to leave for another appointment so that
I don't get working on something and loose track of time.
8. The calculator with the touch screen is so much nicer than using my old Motorola w260g FLIP calculator.
9. I like having pictures of my kids with me on this nice big screen that I can show my friends.
10. The phone vibration ring is better than on the Motorola w260g FLIP so that I notice a call coming in even when
the phone is in its case on my belt.

There are legitimate frustrations, because you know the phone could do such much more if the ui would stop
limiting you, but I have no desire to go back to my Motorola w260g FLIP... This was a huge upgrade for me...
I considered buying the LG 840g only because -- after 4 years of use -- the battery in my Motorola w260g FLIP
stopped holding a charge. So don't expect a Smartphone, but if you were using a rather stripped down phone
in the past, I think you will enjoy the new features.
I agree whole heartedly on some of your pluses. It is a rather swell update as far as they let you in.
I came from a w376g. Seems like they are slowly moving toward a Google platform too. So...interesting.

Thanks for the feedback, btw. Good to hear some actual technical stuff.
I haven't tried the calendar or stopwatch functions or anything. Glad yer tea turned out good, btw. :D

Tech
Member Avatar

mowestusa
November 15, 2012, 4:52 pm

I wondered if anyone has tried the following software: http://tequilacat.org/dev/br/index-en.html

It seems to be software that would allow you to package a java program that you could download onto your phone
that would enable you to read a text document that you have embedded inside the program. It seems like it would
be a way to avoid the constant "Untrusted Midlet App" warnings, and give me a way to view text documents that I

- Does anyone have experience using this program with either the LG 840g or another JavaME phone?
I was thinking about trying it but after all of the hoops and ladders with apps that don't work i decided not to bother.
Maybe give it a try and let us know.

I do know that if you do a Google search for something and a result for a pdf file is returned then Google actually
can read it. Don't know if it works the same if you were to upload it to google documents or something... Do they
even have that? I don't use Google so don't know.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ mowestusa --
In my opinion, most Java apps, especially "free" apps, should not be trusted.
The java market is especially vulnerable to poorly performing (if they run at all) crappy apps with "call home" provisions.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

annepani
November 15, 2012, 3:38 pm
LastRone
Yes, there is.
Go to tracfone.com, click on phones, put in your zip code to see what Tracfone has defined your market ID to be.

You do this in the following way: When the phones come up, look in the URL and locate the phrase 'marketid=' to

GSM4 = ATT
GSM5 = T-Mobile

And just because Tracfone associates your market with one carrier does not mean you can't activate phones with
the other carriers as long as they have towers around you. Tracfone has my marketid as ATT only. I am surrounded
by Verizon towers and have no problem activating Tracfone CDMA phones on Verizon.

You can also go to AT&T for a coverage map: http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/reseller-prepaid1.jsp#?

While most of Denver has strong coverage, there are areas with poor coverage.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Mowestusa wrote:

2. I'm a low volume user of my cell phone. I still use mostly land lines and other forms of communication. However, I am texting which has opened up new ways to communicate with people who won't answer their phone, but will answer a text immediately. By combining the texting feature with a Google Voice account, I often can text for free, being notified by my phone that I received a text, but using Google Voice to view and reply back to people.

Based on my own first-hand experience, I would warn you to be very wary using Google Voice. Last Fall, I, too opened up a Google Voice Account, and initially, I thought it was great. Then, I received a phone call from a cousin who texts me regularly. His text messages ended up on the phone of a complete stranger who was demanding to know how he had gotten her phone number! At that time, I thought that perhaps he had just entered my Google Voice number incorrectly, as no one else seemed to have any trouble using my Google Voice number. Then, this year, nine months later, I received a frantic phone call from a friend who texts me regularly. She was beside herself because her texts were ending up on the phone of another Google Voice user. And, when I checked my Google Voice Account on my computer, I discovered that this unknown person had access to my number, and her responses to my friend were being listed as if they were coming from me! So, be warned that you should have no expectation of privacy with any texts that you send or receive through Google Voice. The texts could end up anywhere and be read by complete strangers!

Moreover, Google has no contact number, no email address, and no Customer Respresentatives with whom you can send or file a complaint. If you encounter a Google Voice problem, it's just your tough luck. . . . Oh yes, Google does have a forum where you can post a problem, and if another poster wants to answer, that is Google's idea of assistance. And, you should take a look at the posts on these forums and just see the types of troubles that some people have encountered with their Google Voice accounts. My problem was minor to some of the stuff that others had posted.

In any event, the bottom line is that I got rid of my Google Voice Account -- as fast as I could.

ShadowDancer ^o)

Tarkio101

mowestusa
November 15, 2012, 4:52 pm

I had tequilacat on my Lg 800g and it worked well. And it's an app I trusted.
So is booksinmyphone... I ended up using it quite a lot too.

Tarkio101

And regarding the eternal question of network coverage with Tracfone... This is how it works--Based on your zip
code, they assign you the type of phone which will work best for both you and Tracfone. For example, if you live
in an area which has only T Mobile and Verizon coverage, I am quite sure they assign you a phone based on
who is giving the best rates... Say Tracfone gives you a CDMA phone that will work with Verizon in the zip code
you gave them. However, it will work on other CDMA carriers with whom Tracfone has agreements. For example,
in many parts of the country Tracfone also works on US Cellular, but also many others It doesn't matter that your
phone is a "verizon phone." It will still work with any compatible network Tracfone works with.

The same is true for T Mobile and ATT. You may be "assigned" a phone for one, but that phone will still work with
any GSM carrier that Tracfone has an agreement with.

[On a semi-side note, there are lots of small GSM carriers, mostly in rural areas that provide coverage for ATT and
T Mobile. While there are no roaming fees for customers, ATT or T Mo do pay those small carriers fees for providing
coverage for their customers. The reason I am pointing this is out is simple... Look at the ATT GoPhone coverage
map and compare it to the map for those on contract. The GoPhone map is significantly smaller. That is because att
doesn't want pay those small carriers extra fees for coverage for low profit prepaid customers. However, Tracfone
customers do have coverage in many of those areas because they are willing to pay those small carriers for coverage.
And no doubt, those companies give Tracfone some very good rates, since a small rural carrier with extra capacity
will take all of the extra revenue they can get... So, in fact, Tracfone customers have better coverage than att's own
prepaid customers]

But the point of this long winded explanation (lol) is that your phone will still work with other carriers than the one
Tracfone "assigns" you. And that is why they can advertise and state that the phone has att AND tmobile coverage
on their GSM phones like the 840g.

Yalda

DoctorM
November 15, 2012, 5:36 pm
annepani
November 15, 2012, 3:38 pm
LastRone
Yes, there is.

GSM4 = ATT
GSM5 = T-Mobile

You can also go to AT&T for a coverage map: http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/reseller-prepaid1.jsp#?

While most of Denver has strong coverage, there are areas with poor coverage.
Thank you for this information! ... I now believe it will work...the URL said it's GSM4!

annepani

LastRone
November 16, 2012, 12:52 am
annepani, Thank you for this information! ... I now believe it will work...the URL said it's GSM4!
Glad to be of help.

watsonk

Just received the lg 840g from hsn.com today. It is still in the process of transferring my phone number over
to the new phone. I was able to connect to my own wifi and browse the internet.. However, whenever I tried
to play a youtube video, it gives a message "Network Unavailable"... I don't know what is wrong.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

watsonk
November 16, 2012, 3:49 am
Just received the lg 840g from hsn.com today. It is still in the process of transferring my phone number over
to the new phone. I was able to connect to my own wifi and browse the internet.. However, whenever I tried
to play a youtube video, it gives a message "Network Unavailable"... I don't know what is wrong.
I get that message on my PC sometimes. It usually means just what it says, and is a temporary access restriction
that could be because the U-Tube site has too many requests to service, and can't process them all -- or there is
some choke-point along the network somewhere that can't accommodate/forward your request, which could be
your ISP provider, or anywhere there is a data packet hand off.

Then again, it may be that the phone has been programmed to restrict access to U-Tube, which would play into
Tech's conspiratorial theories.

I suggest you try over and over again to see if it is the former, and let us know if you are successful or not.

Tech
Member Avatar

Not being conspiratorial, Doc. Just pointing out the flipside less discussed when giving these devices the once over.
Someone has to do it.

Youtube on this device can only be played through tracs software. Which, by default, reduces the video down to a
fraction of it's size and quality. Can't watch them on any other browser. In fact, you really can't even see the thing to
be honest. Just a little tiny box inside a very small screen as it is. This a network configuration. The software has to
tell it to play reduced quality youtube vids. If it cannot communicate with the network to do that then it won't do it at all.
Just my opinion, of course, but I do know a lil bit about how this stuff works.

Don't know that a Droid will be worthwhile or even functional if trac ever gets into that niche. Of course, maybe trac
has a lot of catching up to do in order to become a standalone within a functional OS too... I've talked to a few reps
about the ins and outs of this device beyond the normal speak and will say that every one of them have been rather
knowledgeable and I could tell they knew what they were talking about. Mostly regarding the phones manufacturer
setup versus the trac...model...I guess is the word. None of them have been the kind of cs reps we usually hear about
from disgruntled users, btw. I think they know where they are headed moving forward but..you know...stil have their
own growth model so to speak. Anyone who has this LG ought to see right through where they want to go with their
next device or so.

Just because we don't always want to hear what's said doesn't make it conspiratorial in the traditional and more
recognized sense of the word.

Tech
Member Avatar

One more thing I've noticed to add to the fact that we already cannot ever delete the typed url's when we type them into tracs browser software is that now I see that everyone I send a text to also gets stored on it's little backdoor list it's keeping as well and you can't delete them either. So if you go to forward a text it gives you thelist of every phone you have ever sent a text to from the device. Even though you have an address book that should be sufficient. There is absolutely no option. I guess it tries to "recommend" ^o) past recipients or something but I have an address book with all of my contacts. So I don't need the phone to store my past data on it's own little side list and lock me out of deleting who I've sent past text's to. And what's worse, if I've sent 5 texts to my son then it recommends him 5 times in the little list it's keeping...that I can't delete. Even though I've already actually deleted those texts themselves...or so it appears at least. And that's just one person. Think if you have texted other people several times. Their names pop up numerous times on the list too.v The fact that they repeat makes me wonder why. Are they tied into the text data that went with them? Even though the text's are deleted?

Lot's of data mining going on with this device methinks. And it's in your face too if they won't even let you get to it to delete it. With no say so or ability to change settings otherwise from the end user. No way to get to it at all. Heck, some of the people I've replied to texts to are from work that I'll probably never text again. Why the need to store that data and then lock us out from getting rid of it? I certainly don't need it for anything and see no use in keeping it on the phone for some backdoor software to make it's own use of. As I said. The address book works just fine. Don't need a backdoor list kept. And certainly not one that basically is telling me to pack sand if I want to access it and delete the data.

I'm going to try to look to see if I'm missing something somewhere but I don't think I am. I have to say I really do not like the privileges this carrier or device is by default giving itself with personal data. At all. No reason to lock the end user out of a menu to delete their past data for url's and now texting too. And if there is I'd sure like to hear it. There are a host of reasons I can think of as to why this general practice is actually not a very good idea to let run amuk by default.

I don't know. I can't believe I'm the only one who takes this kind of stuff seriously. It's a big deal that we cannot manage this kind of data and it's a big deal that it is that way by default. It's a big deal that the menu system is locked down specifically so one cannot. Once the minutes are spent on the phone I'm not using it anymore. I don't agree with that practice at all. I mean call it a "feature" if'n you wanna but really it's opening up the door to way more default assumptions like that in future devices if folks don't speak up. Anyhoo. My Windows Phone came today so I'll be using that from now on. I had been messing with a Optimus Black while I was waiting for it to come and even though i like the droid, Google just isn't high on my preferred meme. Good luck to all who do have this phone though. And definitely pay attention to the little things with these new devices as they become more available moving forward. It's your phone, it's your data. You should have control over it's management.

watsonk

Here is an update. After the Tracfone is activated, I can view YouTube videos via wi-fi. Although it is not full screen,
it is still better than nothing. I came from Motorola 376g, therefore my expectation is low.

I think Tracfone wants to make sure that people would not use the phone as a cheap ipod.

I was able to transfer my phone number from my old phone to the LG 840g within 24 hours and got the 1400 min /
365 days within 1 hour of calling the 888 number. The HSN experience has been pleasant.

The HSN deal comes with LG 840g, 1400 min / 365 days, an extra (your choice) color back-cover, earphone, and
a car charger. The standard phone has only a AC outlet charger. I signed up for the HSN card and received $20 off;
thus, the deal costs $85.55 (state tax and shipping included)... It is like getting the phone for free.

Tarkio101

I got my phone from HSN today as well. I could not be less pleased with the crappy accessories. They should
knock a buck off the price and keep them because they are utterly worthless in my book. I don't drive, but wouldn't
trust this 50 cent car charger to not fry the phone. When it came, the ridiculously low quality packing it came in
was open and the charger was just flopping around in the box.

The headphones sounded horrible in the 15 seconds I used them, but they at least have the inline mic/control.
The biggest disappointment was the colored back plate. I mean, this thing is so bad it is ridiculous. The color is
embarrassingly ugly (I got the red). Someone in a third world country would be embarrassed to have it on their
phone.

My 4 year old nephew carries around his moms old cell phone to "pretend" with and he wouldn't want it on "his"
phone either. It really is that ugly. They should have just included one of those awful rubbery cases... At least it
would provide some protection, but this back cover does nothing. Its butt ugly and it's slick as snot.

Now, I love HSN and I think this is an awesome deal all things considered. The phone, minutes, free shipping,
and flex pay make this deal practically unbeatable... But throwing in these awful freebies trashes it up a bit.

Tarkio101

Ok, here's a question for those with the phone from HSN and those with the phone from retail stores.
What Software Version is everyone running? I have the HSN phone and it says I have version V10b.

I didn't check the first phone that I had that I returned to Walmart. To find it what I mean, go to Settings,
Phone, Phone Information.

I can't be sure, but it seems like there are a few small differences... Maybe I'm imagining things...
Or maybe there are some small differences.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
November 17, 2012, 12:41 am
Ok, here's a question for those with the phone from HSN and those with the phone from retail stores.
What Software Version is everyone running? I have the HSN phone and it says I have version V10b.

I didn't check the first phone that I had that I returned to Walmart. To find it what I mean, go to Settings,

I can't be sure, but it seems like there are a few small differences... Maybe I'm imagining things...
I got mine at Target and it's running the V10b version too. I haven't used it much, but so far it's not having any problems.

I've hooked into my Wi-fi a few times just to check it out but haven't done any major browser surfing...
Of course I didn't really want it for that, but it's nice to have if needed. I did finally get to load in the ringtone I wanted,
usually I'd go to click on the little drop box (on the Tracfone site) and it wouldn't let me buy it, but I was shocked and
happily amazed that I got it this time... only down side was it cost me over 52 minutes to get it. :blink:

zspook
Member Avatar

phoenix1
November 17, 2012, 2:59 am
Tarkio101
November 17, 2012, 12:41 am

I got mine at Target and it's running the V10b version too. I haven't used it much, but so far it's not having any problems.

I've hooked into my Wi-fi a few times just to check it out but haven't done any major browser surfing...
Of course I didn't really want it for that, but it's nice to have if needed. I did finally get to load in the ringtone I wanted,
usually I'd go to click on the little drop box (on the Tracfone site) and it wouldn't let me buy it, but I was shocked and
happily amazed that I got it this time... only down side was it cost me over 52 minutes to get it. :blink:
My HSN phone is ver 10b also.. The WI-FI is great !! It is as fast as the wife's laptop..
Everything check out good except, the the nav/keyboard on all the games I have tried (the same ones that work
on my LG 800)... On my LG 800g I have the option, when loading the game, as to use the keyboard or not...

The wife has a DSI-XL so she is HAPPY with her new phone - as you all know "if the wife is happy, everybody is happy" !!!!

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms
Should be a convenience store not a government agency!!

josim

Got my 2 phones last night and played with wifi and browser, not activated yet. This touch screen is waaaay better
than my LG 800g. It is much more responsive and the increased size is nice. Although, I have to admit, I felt a little
cross-eyed after playing with it for an hour or so... Oh, Ver. 10b also.

sqwento

My class 1 16GB sd card works with LG 840g, has anyone tried a 32GB?

Tarkio101

josim
November 17, 2012, 10:26 am
Got my 2 phones last night and played with wifi and browser, not activated yet. This touch screen is waaaay better
than my LG 800g. It is much more responsive and the increased size is nice. Although, I have to admit, I felt a little
cross-eyed after playing with it for an hour or so... Oh, Ver. 10b also.
Yeah, it's night and day difference in the touch screens from the 800 to the 840g. This one is such a pleasure to use.

Tech
Member Avatar

One last update regarding the issue... I've gotten all of my contacts over to my new Windows Phone and then
deleted the contacts from this one. I then went back to send a test text to see if it wiped out the past recipients
list and even though I had erased all of the contacts when I tapped the "send to" tab and then the little notepad
up in the right hand corner and then selected "recent recipients" they were still all there. Except not contact
names but just their personal/private telephone numbers.

As I had mentioned before some of them are on the little list several times since it appears to be storing data about
each individual communication. Also the typed urls are still there in the browser without any means to delete. Good
thing I didn't type any important info into forms at least.

Update: Master Clear worked in removing it.

tracfone2004

Fatorder.com will soon add specially made covers and cases for the popular LG 840G from TracFone & Straight
Talk. While the cases have not officially come out on the market, the price has been announced at $4.99. ... The
expected release date for the new LG 840g cases is near or around December 19th just in time for the holidays.

http://telfacil.com/lg-840g-cases-and-covers-for-tracfone-and-straight-talk/

For those that are not familiar with Fatorder.com, they offer affordable quality accessories for prepaid cell phones
like TracFone, Straight Talk, NET10, and Boost Mobile... They have been around since 2009 and are still offering
great products.

Tags: lg 840g cases, lg 840g gel covers, lg 840g tracfone covers.

Yalda

Well, I just ordered one from eBay with 1200 minutes. . . hope it was the right thing to do.

I was offered a Warranty... Is this something I should do?

sqwento

I passed on the warranty given the phone is essentially free when you consider the minutes you get (I wouldn't
say the extras add much to the value)... Better I think to buy another phone package if anything critical breaks.

pjonthemount

Just saw the Black Friday add for K-mart... LG 840G half price... that's $30!

Edit: I guess this is old news. Sorry JJC, I was looking at page 4 first and didn't see your post on page 3.

watsonk

The LG 840g video player can display video in full screen... Here are the instructions:

1) In PC, using the free Any Video Converter, convert a mp4 file to IPOD mp4 version.
2) Connect a communication cable between PC and LG 840g.
3) Directory structure of LG 840g can be viewed in PC.
4) Copy and paste the IPOD mp4 file to the video sub-folder in LG 840g.
5) Safe disconnect LG 840g from PC.
6) Remove LG 840g from cable physically.
7) Open LG 840g MENU, select VIDEO PLAYER.
8) See the new video as an icon.
9) Click on the video icon to play.
10) The video plays full screen on LG 840g.

sqwento

32GB Class 10 PNY Micro SD ($19.99 this week at Best Buy) installed and working in LG 840g.

The battery life seems much improved over LG 800g.

Somec
Member Avatar

Been looking around for a TracFone LG 840G data and image USB cable as my phone did not come with one.
Would not mind buying a car charger if bundled.... However, does the TracFone LG 800G cable and charger
interchange with the TracFone LG 840G?

Thanks in advance!

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Somec
November 19, 2012, 7:04 pm
Been looking around for a TracFone LG 840G data and image USB cable as my phone did not come with one.
Would not mind buying a car charger if bundled.... However, does the TracFone LG 800G cable and charger
interchange with the TracFone LG 840G?

Thanks in advance!
Yes.

josim

Well, got a bad one. :( The wife's unit is OK. But, mine will not allow me to add contacts to the contact screen
without the screen turning white and rebooting the phone... I removed all the favorite contact and it works OK.
Contacted Tracfone and they are sending a replacement unit. This was after two long long long phone sessions.

Oh, to the poster above regarding warranty. One year is provided by Tracfone. 90 days for refurbs.

watsonk

The reception of the LG 840g is excellent.

Previously, I could not make any phone calls inside the company building (steel re-inforced concrete beams,
piping, and wiring) with Samsung T301g and Motorola W376g. Today, I was able to make phone calls using
the LG 840g, just like my colleagues' smart phones.

I think the difference is on the phone (3G ?) because they are all using AT&T.

Tarkio101

Here's a tip I just discovered...

When you are online, you can zoom in and out on most websites by using the volume rocker.

On certain websites, it's a real life saver.

Edit: I already knew how to zoom in using the zoom function at the bottom of the screen, but it isn't as easy to use
and makes you open the pop up menu to do it. In addition, you can tap/double tap on some web pages and zoom
in, but not all pages work, from my experience.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

If anyone is looking for some great quality screen protectors I found some at Amazon. I've tried a few other brands
that they had for the LG T375 and they were okay, but the ones I got today are excellent. They are a perfect fit and
are crystal clear. It took a couple of tries, thanks to the cat :huh: but once I got it right it was worth it.
You get 6 for $3.82 + $1 for shipping (they come from the UK and took about a week to get them).

You can see them here.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

First impressions: (Comparisons to LG 800G) ... My LG 840G, from HSN special, just arrived.

1. Very nice, well executed feature phone. Definitely an upgrade from the LG 800G.

2. Software Version 10b

3. Back cover - I like the red back cover that HSN included -- matches my pickup truck. Very cool looking.
The red cover is red under normal daylight, but has pinkish tint under a light bulb Both the red cover and the black
cover are hard plastic. The red cover is smooth and slightly translucent (transparent), the black cover is textured...

3. "Hard" buttons on phone – only two -- the on/off on top, and the volume control on the side.
The three buttons on the bottom for send, return, and end, are touch-sensitive membrane.

4. Unlocking the screen is different than the 800G -- requires pressing top button first, the push slider tab up.
I guess that is extra protection from inadvertent activation in a pocket.

4. Wallpaper. For now I chose the color black for wallpaper - should use less power. Power use appears well controlled.

5. Browser. Initially the Browser wouldn't work, with a "Activation Required" notice displayed. But after I enabled
WiFi, and logged into my home wireless network, the browser worked without activating the phone.

6. Google Maps. I downloaded Google Maps (mobile version). This is very similar to the version on my PC - you
don't need a GPS to use it. It seemed to know my general location (Austin Texas), but not my exact location.
It has a map view and a satellite view - both work, and both can be zoomed. I got a good view of my house.
The only negative was the Alert message "Untrusted Midlet - You are accessing the network. Data charges may
apply. Continue?" I just press "Yes." The message keeps reappearing every few minutes. Anybody figure out how
to get rid of it yet?

7. Memory preference (MENU>SETTINGS>PHONE>MEMORY>SET STORAGE DEFAULTS>ALL) much simpler
than on LG 800G - allows selecting ALL, or other on-board devices can be set individually.

8. Calculator - has scientific option -- Button in upper right-hand corner shifts from numerals and arithmetic functions
to mathematical/scientific functions. (I was worried about that -- being an engineer, I deem it absolutely necessary,
even if I hardly ever use it.)

9. Adding or deleting contacts, widgets and app icons to main screens is simplified over 800G
---- for contact screen, little bumpy wheel on bottom right of screen opens and "ADD" option .
---- for widget screen, a little white triangle on bottom right of screen opens or closes widget tray.
---- for shortcut screen little bumpy wheel on bottom right of screen opens or closes app tray.

10. microSD Card. Inserted a 32GB micro SD – no problem. Formatted microSD, which deleted all pre-existing
information and it installed 840G’s basic folder system.

11. Bluetooth – Paired 840G to my 800G – no problem. Sent a file by Bluetooth from 800G to 840G no problem
sending, but the picture resolution (3072x2304),was too big to display. Resized the file on the LG 800G and sent
it, and it displayed OK. .

12. Data Cable. Hooked up 840G to my PC by data cable – no problem.
---- Transferred all my music files from 800G backup folder to Audio folder on 840G – no problem, all music files play.
---- Transferred all my favorite images to Pictures folder on 840G – all images displayed a thumbnail, and all displayed
on the screen except one, which got an error message “Unsupported Resolution” That particular file had a resolution
of 3072x2304, which the LG 800G had no problem displaying, but the LG 840G won’t display. I resized the picture to
a lower resolution of 2048 x 1536 and it displayed ok.

13. Sort Speed. The LG 840G sorts files very fast. The LG 800G, on the other hand, sorts very slowly.

14. Document Reader. Verified that the LG 840G has no built-in document reader like the LG 800G has.

15. Contacts. Transferred all my contacts from 800G to 840G. Group names transferred, but groups were all empty.

16. Calendar. Transferred calendar from LG 800G to LG 840G. No apparent problems, but I have a very simple schedule.

17. Alarms. I see no way to transfer alarms from LG 800G to 840G. On the other hand, I didn't find a limit to the
number of alarms that could be set. I set 6 alarms - all involving my kids school and bus schedules.

16. Bottom Line – this is for the most part a better phone than the LG 800G, certainly as well executed and much
faster. I only found two features the LG 800G has that the LG 840G does not – a built-in document reader, and the
ability to handle very large picture files. I think I can live with that.

Yalda

Has anyone found a Gel Case for the LG 840g? ... Or one that's better?

tracfone2004

Doctor M,
I read your review and for the most part I completly agree. I did find that at least for me, the call sound quality is slightly
better on the LG 800G. This phone has a slightly thinner and lower volume sound. I also find that the ring tones and
speaker phone volume is slightly lower on the LG 840G when compared to the LG 800G.

My wife still has the LG 800G, and when I compared the 2 phones on a road trip yesterday I found that the LG 800G
seems to have more bars on the signal meter. I do like the phone but I was surprised that in the actual phone calling
dept. the LG 800G seemed a bit better to me. What are your feelings on these items?

No phone since the Moto W376G flip phone has had really great signal response or call quality and that was one of
the best phones that Tracfone ever offered.

You can find gel cases here... http://www.fatorder.com/catalog/73

JJC

Does the Notepad widget allow a QWERTY option?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

JJC
November 20, 2012, 7:29 am
Does the Notepad widget allow a QWERTY option?
When you open a note, or select new note, the keypad comes up by default. Touch the options icon at the top right
of the screen and select Input Method and then Keyboard and the qwerty keyboard displays.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

tracfone2004
November 20, 2012, 6:42 am
Doctor M,
I read your review and for the most part I completely agree. I did find that at least for me, the call sound quality is
slightly better on the LG 800G... This phone has a slightly thinner and lower volume sound... I also find that the
ringtones and speaker phone volume is slightly lower on the LG 840G when compared to the LG 800G. My wife
still has the LG800G and when I compared the 2 phones on a road trip yesterday I found that the LG800G seems
to have more bars on the signal meter. I do like the phone but I was surprised that in the actual phone calling dept.
the LG 800G seemed a bit better to me... What are your feelings on these items?

No phone since the Moto W376G flip phone has had really great signal response or call quality and that was one
of the best phones that Tracfone ever offered.

You can find gel cases here... http://www.fatorder.com/catalog/73
I just activated a few moments ago, and have only made one call. I don't have that fine of an ear, so I doubt its going
to make me any difference on sound quality, or at my age I can distinguish a difference. But the one call I made call-
ing 800G to 840G, holding both up to my ears at the same time, sounded pretty much the same - maybe the 840G is
a little tinnier, but I'm not sure whether that is perception you put in my head by your (hypnotic) suggestion, or it
actually is in reality.

Based on music playing, I find the LG 840G playing into an earbud, very good.

As far as the signal strength, the LG 800G has an E showing four bars, while the 840G has 3G showing two bars.
I'm not so sure that is comparing apples to apples, though. For all I know, the bars on the LG 840G may reflect the
3G signal strength. As I understand it (which could be wrong) the voice and data (3G is for data) transmit on different
channels, and are routed differently.

A good test would be to call out with both phones from inside a building and see if one phone acquires a signal
better than the other.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Bluetooth hands-free capability

I just paired the LG 840G with my 2012 Nissan Frontier SL, which has Bluetooth voice dialing capability.

And I successfully made a voice-dialed call... Very Cool -- that's all the reason I need to keep this phone.
(the LG 840G itself does not do voice dialing -- it supports connection to a system that does.)

UPDATE 22 Nov 2012
My vehicle hands-free Bluetooth system wont play music from the LG 840G over Bluetooth. And if I plug a head
phone cable into the 840G (and into the vehicle's auxiliary input port) the 840G disconnects the Bluetooth, so I
can't receive a call on the vehicle's hands=free system. On one phone I can do one or the other, but not both, at
the same time.

The work-around is I have to use two devices -- my LG Optimus Net or the 800G as the music source plugged into the
vehicle auxiliary port, and the 840G only as a phone while hooked by Bluetooth into the vehicle's hands-free system.

Since I have the same music on all thee phones, I guess I can live with that limitation.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Nothing special to report... I just wanted to say that I see that this phone is now for sale on Tracfone's website.

* Price is $60 ... and here is the website link: http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?

* You may have to scroll down the page to see it listed .. I guess that's it .. thanks everyone for all the phone info. ;)

Turk B-)

Tarkio101

Looks like Trac tops their phones out at about 60 bucks. They've had several of the "newest and best phone of
the day" come out at that price, so it seems like they don't want to go over that amount. And I can see why. Still
wish they'd offer at least one of their androids from net 10 or straight talk on here, even if they are expensive.

There certainly are some people who want their phone for the gadget aspects of it more than because of heavy
minute usage. But I guess it's better for Trac to force them onto an unlimited plan if they want a smart phone that
bad, rather than just make a few bucks off of them for the few minutes they may use... And it's not much different
from the way the big carriers force you get certain plans with certain phones.

With that said, this phone still amazes me sometimes. It can do virtually everything I need to do. And I don't consider
myself a super lite user or anything. I use this phone to surf the web on wifi every single day on the way to work,
on the way home (I take the train to work fyi), and when I have an extra long lunch and am bored.

I have my email set up on it, I use it as my mp3 player while I'm surfing the net and commuting, which is really
awesome. I use the camera a fair amount but do wish it was a little better, I use the calender and reminders for
all of my appointments, I use the alarm clock to wake up every day, and I use the notepad and voice recorder
to make notes to myself.

I am definitely one who likes to use one device for everything, to know my device inside and out, and push it's limits
with tweaks and experimentation. And this phone has not let me down. The wifi makes the biggest difference for me.

The main things I am working on with this phone--

1. Try to find out if there is an app or another method to be able to open/view a document/email attachment. This is
not something I really need, and if so, not very often, but would like to know if it possible through a work around.

2. If I could find a way to get rid of the navigation screen and use another browser full screen, that would be great.
But now that I'm used to the tracfone browser, I'm pushing that to the back burner. Incidentally, now that I have tried
all of the sites I frequent, have them bookmarked etc, the browser seems a lot better. There are some sites that just
don't work well and I tend to avoid them for that reason. I focus on the sources of information/entertainment that are
doing what they can to make things work for me, instead of me trying to find a way to make it work.

For example, Engadget works perfectly on this phone, Phone Arena doesn't. Guess which one I gave up on? New
York Times works very well, and in the video section, each video has a "download" button right there. One touch, a
few seconds, and I can be watching their video content. Very, very easy.. And works flawlessly. I'm impressed with
the functionality of their site. I wish they were all this nicely done.

3. Work on finding apps that I need/want that work well on this phone. The one's on my wish list are -- VOIP app,
way to stream you tube fullscreen more easily, way to stream video from the various sites that offer it that don't
work on this phone correctly.

4. In a perfect world find an set up things like RSS fees and podcasts that I enjoy but don't get around to very often.
Ideally, it would be an automatic delivery system where everything is just there waiting for me everyday, but I don't
even know if that's possible on this phone. But I am working on exploring those possibilities.

Thanks for reading. If anyone has tips for me, please post. I'll try to keep sharing ideas as I run across them.

And thanks to Turk for providing this awesome forum for all of us to enjoy! .. I know it takes up time that you could
be using in other ways.

annepani

Tarkio101
November 21, 2012, 12:46 am
Looks like Trac tops their phones out at about 60 bucks. They've had several of the "newest and best phone
of the day" come out at that price, so it seems like they don't want to go over that amount.
The Tracfone LG 505C CDMA phone is $90. It was that price when it first came out and it is still at that price.
They haven't dropped it a nickel... And the Motorola EX124G was about $80 when it first came out.

If you want to get a look at the LG 505C, go to tracfone.com and use zip code 16689.

Tarkio101

I guess there have been a few... But $60 seems to be their sweet spot lately.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Battery Management
The battery management on the LG 840G appears to be very good. I listened to music all night long with my ear
buds attached, and the battery icon on the phone still shows a full charge.

For comparison, I would be charging the LG 800G already, and the LG Optimus Net wouldn't even lasted half the
night before depleting the battery..

Yalda

May you all have a Wonderful Thanksgiving...with True Blessings from above... Thanks for your help.

ciliegia

Has anyone figured out how to get a "signed" version of UC Browser and Opera Mini?
I was able to get both "signed" versions on my LG 800 but now I'm having difficulty.

So far, I find this phone to be great. I like the weight of it; the size; Wifi has been very good in the house and at
the university (where I work); I have seen some items on youtube, although the image is quite small (thank G-d
I have reading glasses for that!); I have been able to download, easily, free ringtones (mp3)...

As I haven't used the phone too much, as I progress with it, I'll let you know opinions.
But, my original question still stands: how do I get a "signed (verified)" version of UC Browser and Opera Mini?

tracfone2004

I really like this phone and it pains me to say that of all the tracfone's I have used ( 5 in total) this phone has the
worst sound call quality of all. Is it just my phone or is this model phone a call sound stinker? The sound quality
is thin and not very loud in the ear piece or thru the speaker. The LG 800G phone I had was not as good as the
Moto W376G but this phone is really bad. I get fewer signal bars also.

I want to know if I should call tracfone because my phone sounds so bad and seems weak, or is it all of the LG
840G's. I sure hope that TF is not going backward with call quality... Please please someone let me know.

ciliegia

ciliegia
November 22, 2012, 2:14 pm
Has anyone figured out how to get a "signed" version of UC Browser and Opera Mini?
I was able to get both "signed" versions on my LG 800 but now I'm having difficulty.

So far, I find this phone to be great. I like the weight of it; the size; Wifi has been very good in the house and at
the university (where I work); I have seen some items on youtube, although the image is quite small (thank G-d
I have reading glasses for that!); I have been able to download, easily, free ringtones (mp3)...

As I haven't used the phone too much, as I progress with it, I'll let you know opinions.
But, my original question still stands: how do I get a "signed (verified)" version of UC Browser and Opera Mini?
Okay, I found and installed a signed version of UC Browser. For those of you interested...
I got it at: http://www.ucweb.com/English/UCbrowser/platform.html?platform=java
After downloading both files, you must install the JAD file first.

Yalda

Is there actually a GOOD site to help with problems connecting to the Internet? I keep getting "the requested host
was not found"...and I've entered a lot of REAL sites...I got the phone yesterday and am trying to learn how to use
it. I am connected to my home connection... just don't know how to get this phone to work for me.
Learning it is frustrating!

Thanks for you help.

Yalda

When entering a website... there is NO "=" sign! ... Am I missing something? ... Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

LastRone
November 22, 2012, 9:44 pm
When entering a website... there is NO "=" sign! ... Am I missing something? ... Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks.
Put the keypad in the sym (symbols) mode -- There are two arrowheads on the bottom of the symbol's keypad which
take you to more symbol keypad choices, which include an "=" character.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

LastRone
November 22, 2012, 9:36 pm
Is there actually a GOOD site to help with problems connecting to the Internet? I keep getting "the requested host
was not found"...and I've entered a lot of REAL sites...I got the phone yesterday and am trying to learn how to use
it. I am connected to my home connection... just don't know how to get this phone to work for me.

Thanks for you help.
Thanks for asking the question. It is all very clear now ---

The built-in browser is restricted to mobile sites (less data intensive then unrestricted access) or sites that have
special screens or pages for mobile devices. If you click on "Help" you get an FAQ list. On Question 3. "What Mobile
Sites Do I have access to?" the answer is "You have access to all the sites listed under Mobile Web Menu."

The bottom line is that you do not have the general web access that you would in a smart phone, and (I believe)
the rationale for that restriction is that TracFone can then allow you limited web access on a per minute access basis
(on 3G), and not require an unlimited data plan. It all makes sense - from a financial standpoint, not necessarily your
standpoint. Even if you are accessing through WiFi, the built-on browser still restricts you to the "approved" list --
which is listed below with the sub-menu breakout (the menu comes up when you tap the Browser icon on the phone)

MOBILE WEB

RINGTONES & GRAPHICS
http://tracfone.storefront.9squared...

GAMES
http://wapshop.gameloft.com (Has a nice list of java2ME games)

FACEBOOK
http://m.facebook.com

SEARCH
YPmobile (Yellow Pages)
http://m.yp.com/?partner ...
Search for Business
http://m.free411.com
Google
http://m.google.com/
Yahoo!
http://m.yahoo.com
MSN
http://home.mobile.msn.com/.
BING
http://m.bing.com/
Super Pages
http://wap.superpages.com/.
Wapipedia
http://wapipedia.org.wikipedia/Ind ....

EMAIL & NETWORKING
Hotmail
https://mid.live.com/si/login ...
Yahoo Mail .
http://mlogin.yahoo.com/w/login/ ...
AOL
http://m.aol.com/portal/
Twitter
https://mobile.twitter.com/signup
My Space
http://m.myspace.com/login.wap

WEATHER, SPORTS & NEWS
Weather
http://xhtml.weather.com/xthml/ ...
CNN
http://cnnnmobile.com/primary/ ...
FOX
http://www.foxnews.mobi/
NBCNews
http://news.mobile.msn.com/en-us/ ...
ESPN
http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/?wjb ...
Y! Sports
http://m.yahoo.com/sports/

MOBILE SITES & MORE
Moviefone
http://m.aol.com/moviefone/default ...
Ebay
http://m.ebay.com/
Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw
Univision
http://m.www.univision.com/ ...
Yahoo! en Espanol
http://mx.m.yahoo.com
Ayuda
http://m.tfm.tracfone.com/ayuha (help in Spanish)

DOWNLOADS
Ringtones & Graphics
Games

zspook
Member Avatar

" Dotcor M "

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms
Should be a convenience store not a government agency!!

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
November 23, 2012, 2:05 am
LastRone
November 22, 2012, 9:36 pm

Thanks for you help.
Thanks for asking the question. It is all very clear now ---

The built-in browser is restricted to mobile sites (less data intensive then unrestricted access) or sites that have
special screens or pages for mobile devices. If you click on "Help" you get an FAQ list. On Question 3. "What Mobile
Sites Do I have access to?" the answer is "You have access to all the sites listed under Mobile Web Menu."

The bottom line is that you do not have the general web access that you would in a smart phone, and (I believe)
the rationale for that restriction is that TracFone can then allow you limited web access on a per minute access basis
(on 3G), and not require an unlimited data plan. It all makes sense - from a financial standpoint, not necessarily your
standpoint. Even if you are accessing through WiFi, the built-on browser still restricts you to the "approved" list --
which is listed below with the sub-menu breakout (the menu comes up when you tap the Browser icon on the phone)

MOBILE WEB

RINGTONES & GRAPHICS

GAMES

FACEBOOK
http://m.facebook.com

SEARCH
YPmobile (Yellow Pages)
http://m.yp.com/?partner ...
Search for Business
http://m.free411.com
Google
http://m.google.com/
Yahoo!
http://m.yahoo.com
MSN
http://home.mobile.msn.com/.
BING
http://m.bing.com/
Super Pages
http://wap.superpages.com/.
Wapipedia
http://wapipedia.org.wikipedia/Ind ....

EMAIL & NETWORKING
Hotmail
https://mid.live.com/si/login ...
Yahoo Mail .
http://mlogin.yahoo.com/w/login/ ...
AOL
http://m.aol.com/portal/
Twitter
https://mobile.twitter.com/signup
My Space
http://m.myspace.com/login.wap

WEATHER, SPORTS & NEWS
Weather
http://xhtml.weather.com/xthml/ ...
CNN
http://cnnnmobile.com/primary/ ...
FOX
http://www.foxnews.mobi/
NBCNews
http://news.mobile.msn.com/en-us/ ...
ESPN
http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/?wjb ...
Y! Sports
http://m.yahoo.com/sports/

MOBILE SITES & MORE
Moviefone
http://m.aol.com/moviefone/default ...
Ebay
http://m.ebay.com/
Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw
Univision
http://m.www.univision.com/ ...
Yahoo! en Espanol
http://mx.m.yahoo.com
Ayuda
http://m.tfm.tracfone.com/ayuha (help in Spanish)

DOWNLOADS
Ringtones & Graphics
Games
I don't know how long the company thinks they can keep this up, Doc. There are so many other options out there that really aren't that much more expensive and you are able to actually do things that are productive on the part of the end user as opposed to the machine and it's bottom line. If you ask me the whole gimmick about censoring the mobile web and allowing the end user to only look for information where tracfone decides they can is dumb. I just can't imagine what kind of carrot and stick game they would try to pull off if they ever did get an android os. Then you throw Google into that model too? Wow. That's an entire discussion in and of itself. People want function. They want choice. And it's to be had if folks are willing to look.

Personally I think this phone is useless. I almost want to call it junk. A mere toy. Can't do anything with it. Not one functional app to be had and other than that just some childs games that can't even function full screen...or are not allowed. Of course if one buys them from tracfone then I'd bet the virtual screen wouldn't be there. How much do you want to bet? You know what that's called, Doc? It's called strongarming technology...the science of the matter...to accomadate the business of the matter...and one sided at that. It's fascist in nature. Anyhoo...no way to read docs or pdf's if you get them in your email on the go either. Could go on and on with the really petty things they hav locked down. For me, I'm done with the company. They don't seem to be doing anything in the best interest of the end user at all. In fact, I'm of the opinion...and it's just my opinion...that the lack of knowledge of the end user or willingness to question the silly things they are limited too is exactly how it will probably continue in the same manner moving forward to other devices.

If you just want to make a call and browse for an answer to a question on the web that the company or it's third party vendors approve of or consider an actual app to be a childs game that you can barely even see then...have at it. If you want function...look elsewhere. Technically, I don't know how they even get away with patenting or censoring access to the web. The web is a public domain and shouldn't be limited to whatever so and so .inc tells you it is. When folks ever get around to questioning that practice it may perhaps change. I'm not holding my breath though. Far too much effort put into searching for cases and screen covers than actually paying attention to what they seem to be doing. Sadly, consumers are their own worse enemy. I almost want to call it predatory the way folks are led by the carrot on the end of the stick with these devices. Obviously marketed for a particular demographic who wouldn't otherwise question the obvious.

That list of sites they allow is ridiculous, btw. Almost comical. And who the heck wants to watch a youtube video in a box the size of a quarter? 3g? Phht. OK. Right. Only on these devices are the end user reduced to such regard. Beyond all of that, I still find it alarming/concerning that it took a master clear to remove the backdoor list of contact phone numbers and typed url data that the thing was hoarding even after I deleted the email and contacts from the device itself. That's a serious issue that needs asking. If not, it's only going to become the standard model. Especially since yer locked out of accessing the data to delete it and even being told where and how you can use data in the first place what with the way the browser is scribbled.

The good thing though is that for every 1 who would disregard these kinds of practices there are ten who fight the good fight to try to get in it's way. No way one shouldn't be able to access a website on wifi ...their own wifi...from their own connection...that they pay for...because the third party wants to say uh-uh.

Yalda

Incredibly disappointing....thanks for the information.

Now all I need is the information to Get Around their Restrictions....

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Interesting discussions from DoctorM and Tech on the limitations that are popping up on this phone. I feel that
DoctorM makes a good point with regards to the limited web access and profit motive... Sometimes, I feel that
Tracfone, Inc. would like to push as many people as possible into their monthly unlimited plans through Net10
and Straight Talk. Let's fact it, it makes more money on those plans.

At the same time, Tech makes good points about this phone by observing its lack of function, it's ability to retain
phone numbers and typed urls which can only be removed by a master clear, its censorship of the mobile web, etc.

Consequently, my question is: was the LG 840g really designed for children? That is, would this unit be a phone that
parents, who want to monitor and limit their child's phone activities including web access, might buy for their kids?

Any thoughts?

ShadowDancer :)

Tech
Member Avatar

I thought about that, groundhog. Nothing in the manual that would point to such a notion. Obviously, if that was the premise, parents would have read documentation reflecting it prior to purchase or review. At least that's how the Constitution usually works for us. Besides that and because I had seriously thought about getting my sister's kids one of these for Christmas, I gave the browser a good once over just to see exactly what you could do with the thing. Could not view documents or the like or access functional/productivity web sites or any of that but could easily download a porn clip. So...disagree on the parents can check their kid's thingamabob. That practice in itself is a contradiction.

Sorry for that bit of rated R speak but we have to check these kinds of things if we're to do a good once over before giving it to junior. Anyhow...big brother or big sister may be a little more keen on tinkering with the trinket more so than mom or dad. So...yeah. Again, pointing to the demographic and other various traffic of a possible number of end users may be the flipside.

Of course then again, there is also a large demographic of youth removed from that aspect who would find these trinkets neat to have. Even if they cannot change their lock screens or theme or voicemail ringtone or ...etc. The thing is actually nice and can play music and your own video and call and all of that.

I don't know that it's wise to retrain the youth though that it's acceptable to not ask "Why?" or to not expect the entirety of the function of the device they carry or pay for. Also not wise to retrain youth into thinking it's ok that they have no control of their own personal data. No entirety of speech on the web or no voice in asking otherwise just because it's cheap and they are poor. As I mentioned elsewhere here...the poor seem to always be the first to get their constitution peed on. As such then it will continue to flow forever. This is the first model with new technology and capability. Smarter than it looks so to speak.

Even if it were meant for just youth then if we think of them as nothing else but consumers we need to leave them with the impression that they as consumers dictate the market. To retrain them to just accept the carrot on the end of the string that the other guy is waving around and just say "Oh, umkay" we need to teach them to question more. Expect what is theirs in the first place. Not the opposite.

I'm not trying to wreck the thread, folks. I'm really not. If you like the phone then you like it. But there are things to consider with the model itself before quickly moving into newer devices of which will surely derive from tis model if consumer input is absent. My opinion is that the grass is greener on the other side just from where one would currently sits should they choose to reside there. Just costs a couple dollars more. The price for freedom so to speak. The gadget itself is an awesome work of technology and science. The model packaged with it is where the means to enjoy such awesomeness is removed...swinging on the end of that stick...so...speak up. It's how change happens.

So, anyway, I've got a laptop fresh out of the box here I'm setting up for junior for Christmas so I'm going to mess with that for a while. It's his very first one and he'll have the world at his fingertips. When all is done and it's good to go I will assure that the very first page that pops up on his browser when he opens the thing on Christmas day will be this... http://www.google.com/intl/en/takeaction/whats-at-stake/ right after this one pops up.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=z-lwA9GJ1e0 ... in 1080 HD full screen, perhaps. Might be able to finagle that. Maybe get it to play kind of loud too just for effect. ;)

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ Tech, LastRone, ShadowDancer, et al:

I don't have any problem at all with TracFone's limited set of mobile web pages. It is more than I want to do on a
cell phone. My personal opinion is that TracFone (as opposed to Net10 or StraightTalk) has done the right thing
for the consumer class that uses its services... And those who want more extensive access, should go to Net10,
Straight Talk, or another service provider, use a smart phone, and pay the unlimited data fees.

We got what we wanted -- 3G (data) internet access on the cheap by the minute. Airway bandwidth is limited, and,
quite frankly, is already reaching saturation point. 3G doesn't have the capacity that broadband has over a copper
wire, or optical cable has -- the airways are clogged, and transmission needs to be restricted to sites designed for
mobile devices -- websites that are economical for cellular use.

On the other hand, I agree with Tech as far as it applies to the present state of WiFi -- no need to restrict any access
over WiFi provided outside TracFone or its contract carriers... But these same carriers are also beginning to supply
WiFi-like services -- which out of necessity also will want to eventually restrict internet access to web pages that are
designed for mobile devices -- which minimize data transmission. .

I don't think there is any sinister plot, big brother, or corporate greed involved -- just the economics of providing a
specific wireless service to a specific constituency that has become saturated with (too many) users .

Tech
Member Avatar

The fact that folks are able... and willing... to discuss the technical aspects and/or the science of the matter instead
of the bestest case or screen cover is a good thing. Doesn't have to be a conspiracy. In fact, it shouldn't be discussed
like that. All that does is remove the important speak and reason from discussion. And it's how the consumer loses in
the end of the discussion if it continues on that path.

And that discussion is better than any old youtube video chatting about..."yuno" or "looks like a lil Android" or whatever.
What we need is a review of how we should think in expecting a modern product to function in a manner consistent
with the way the world works without having to be reduced to the status of "dolt" trying to catch a nibble out of the tech-
nological carrot that is the way the world works. And we're having it to some extent. That's good...for you..the end user.
Again...crickets chirping on the other end.

Disruption makes things new again...makes ideas fresh.

Like so... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBpCC8MnkCQ

watsonk

I have good news and bad news... Let's talk about the good news first.

The LG 840G phone purchased from HSN can support a 32GB micro SD card. It is not the maximum 4GB as
indicated in the HSN website.

The bad news is as follows:

1) The first time that I sent over 6 GB (about 3,600 titles) of music files to the phone, not everything got loaded
by the Music Player properly. It omitted a number of folders.. I tried to remove some files (thinking that it could
have reached some limits), but the phone would keep rebooting while loading the Music Player.

2) I re-formatted the micro SD card and started again. This time, I loaded music files bit by bit to make sure that
everything worked properly along the way. I eliminated questionable folders just in case. This time, everything
(that I wanted) got loaded. It used 5389952 KB.

3) The Music Player performance is disappointing. When the phone is powered ON, and enters Music Player,
it takes 30 seconds just to load all the songs. By default, it scans for all the songs under "All Songs" upon entry.
When switched to "Artists", it takes about 60-80 seconds before allowing to scroll (signified by the appearance
of blue RIGHT ARROW pushbuttons). While waiting, the phone would switch itself to SCREEN LOCKED mode;
one would have to switch back to active screen mode to resume. Obviously, one can always lengthen the time
that the phone switches to SCREEN LOCKED mode, but it would waste power under normal use.

4) All the album arts (hundreds) would show up under PICTURES. I have not discovered a way to filter out the
album arts pictures from my personal pictures. If there are no ways, I might have to delete all my album arts.

In summary, the good news is that you can buy yourself a 32 GB micro SD card and store a lot of files in the phone.
The bad news is that the LG 840G application software cannot handle the volume of data.

I have a 32 GB micro SD Class 10, it is supposed to have excellent speed.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

watsonk
November 24, 2012, 1:57 am
I have good news and bad news... Let's talk about the good news first.

The LG 840G phone purchased from HSN can support a 32GB micro SD card. It is not the maximum 4GB as
indicated in the HSN website.

The bad news is as follows:

1) The first time that I sent over 6 GB (about 3,600 titles) of music files to the phone, not everything got loaded
by the Music Player properly. It omitted a number of folders.. I tried to remove some files (thinking that it could
have reached some limits), but the phone would keep rebooting while loading the Music Player.

2) I re-formatted the micro SD card and started again. This time, I loaded music files bit by bit to make sure that
everything worked properly along the way. I eliminated questionable folders just in case. This time, everything
(that I wanted) got loaded. It used 5389952 KB.

3) The Music Player performance is disappointing. When the phone is powered ON, and enters Music Player,
it takes 30 seconds just to load all the songs. By default, it scans for all the songs under "All Songs" upon entry.
When switched to "Artists", it takes about 60-80 seconds before allowing to scroll (signified by the appearance
of blue RIGHT ARROW pushbuttons). While waiting, the phone would switch itself to SCREEN LOCKED mode;
one would have to switch back to active screen mode to resume. Obviously, one can always lengthen the time
that the phone switches to SCREEN LOCKED mode, but it would waste power under normal use.

4) All the album arts (hundreds) would show up under PICTURES. I have not discovered a way to filter out the
album arts pictures from my personal pictures. If there are no ways, I might have to delete all my album arts.

In summary, the good news is that you can buy yourself a 32 GB micro SD card and store a lot of files in the phone.
The bad news is that the LG 840G application software cannot handle the volume of data.

I have a 32 GB micro SD Class 10, it is supposed to have excellent speed.
The LG840G User Guide (page 62 ) clearly states that the maximum number of songs is 2000. Sounds like you have
grossly exceeded that number.

If you transfer by download or by Bluetooth, the phone software is set up to be an easy and simple user experience,
so it will automatically sort your file types by type (sounds to the AUDIO folder, and graphics to the PICTURES folder).
If you have a more complex file structure than that, you should use a data cable, but then there is no guarantee the
phone knows what to do with them... I would be interested in the outcome of loading in other folders or sub-folders.
I would expect problems.

The best way to keep your music graphics (album art) in the same folder as the music is to embed them in the music
file itself, rather than in separate folders or files. There are some free software that allows you to do that. In fact that
very subject had several posts under the LG 800G. I have done that for all my music loaded on the phone... Let me
know if I need to re-post that here.

30 seconds to index 2000 songs doesn't sound to bad for a $60 phone (and, if you bought it on the HSN special, a $0
phone). You might be expecting too much. I tend to leave the music player on pause (to avoid re-indexing) rather than
turn the music player off... The battery management of this phone is pretty good, and I haven't noticed any exceptional
battery consumption by doing that.

One thing about indexing that was a problem on the 800G was that it indexed on the file name, and not on the song
title -- and the music file usually has the CD sequence number as the first part of the file name, which screwed up
indexing. We solved that problem by stripping off the sequence number from the file name. I don't know whether the
LG 840G sorts on Song Title or File name, as it is the same on all my music files that I loaded into the LG 840G.
Maybe you can shed some light on that.

muddy211

Just picked up two LG 840's at my local Kmart for $29.99 each...Thrs. Fri. Sat. Kmart Black Friday ad...I have been
following this thread and the phones faults and limitations....but don't you get what you pay for? I love my TF and I
use it for calls and texts..I use my Blackberry Playbook 64GB WiFi for everything else..thats the best combo for me. B-)

Take care all... :D :D :D

Yalda

LG 840G User Guide ??? ... Is this online?

The little "Services Guide" that came with the phone doesn't have much information.

annepani

LastRone
November 24, 2012, 4:44 pm
LG 840G User Guide ??? ... Is this online?

The little "Services Guide" that came with the phone doesn't have much information.
Yes, there is a 186-page user manual. It is at the bottom of the left-hand column of the online tutorial.

http://www.tracfone.com > Support > Learn About Your Phone

Click on the image of the LG 840g... That brings up the online tutorial.
Click on User Guide at the bottom of the left-hand column. That will download the manual.

Andrew

I don't own the LG 840g (yet) but does it have a 200 hundred year calendar? My 800g does: from 1900 to 2099.

Considering the amount of technical details being discussed here my input is marginal but interesting to me.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Andrew
November 24, 2012, 5:22 pm
I don't own the LG 840g (yet) but does it have a 200 hundred year calendar? My 800g does: from 1900 to 2099.

Considering the amount of technical details being discussed here my input is marginal but interesting to me.
It goes to 2099.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

annepani
November 24, 2012, 4:57 pm
LastRone
November 24, 2012, 4:44 pm
LG840G User Guide ??? ... Is this online?

Yes, there is a 186-page user manual. It is at the bottom of the left-hand column of the online tutorial.

http://www.tracfone.com > Support > Learn About Your Phone

Click on the image of the LG 840g... That brings up the online tutorial.
Click on User Guide at the bottom of the left-hand column. That will download the manual.
You can also go directly to the big user guide by clicking the following link:

http://img.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/pub/7302/docs/LG_840G_User_Guide_EN_ES.pdf

Tegan

I did get the LG 840g from HSN during the last deal. As someone that as already a tracfone user, and one that
was in need of new minutes at that time, it just seemed like common sense to buy that deal. If I went to the store
to buy the minutes alone I would have spent as much. So it can seem like you're getting a free phone with your
minute purchase if you are already a tracfone user.

My phone did have some issues at first as it seems many did from the reviews on the HSN page. I was porting my
number over from my Samsung T404G. That phone was working for me for a couple days while I was waiting and
then I was told that something was wrong with my phone when a friend was trying to call. I signed onto the tracfone
site and there it said they required another step on my side, we had to check through some codes, and then repro-
gram codes. Luckily for me I had a heads up quick that there was an issue, and I'm techie so I had it resolved quickly
without having to call. I believe others had to wait for new sim cards to be shipped.

I want to give a heads up on a couple things I have found along the way with this phone. The first thing I noticed
that concerned me was the Google Maps install. I downloaded the installer and then started to read through the
user agreement, and there it says that the user agrees to give google access to voice and data information. That
was a quick "decline" on my part. That is unfortunate that they would request so much intrusion just to use their
map program. I guess it is that they are more so a data collection unit, more so than a map sharing source. That
is just something I thought people should know, and they might have overlooked... That could be a cause of the
pop-up issue people have had when using this app.

I do like this phone so far and didn't really buy it to use for mapping me around, so that wasn't a big deal breaker
for me. I found some cases on ebay in Spain. They have the phone there and it's called the LG T375.
I just ordered these about a week ago, should be receiving them soon...
http://stores.ebay.com/VentaAgencia/_i.html?_nkw=T375&submit=Search&_sid=1032792556

I wasn't as happy about the sounds included with this phone. I did prefer the sounds of the T404G that I was trans-
ferring from. I found that you can use the Voice Recorder on the 840g, and record the sounds from other devices,
or from whatever you want, then use them as your tones. Now my text reminder sounds like what I'm used to, and
the alarm is loud and annoying, as I need it to be. I'm sure I have more to add, but for now this is all the time I have.

pjonthemount

josim
November 19, 2012, 7:50 pm
Well, got a bad one. :( The wife's unit is OK. But, mine will not allow me to add contacts to the contact screen
without the screen turning white and rebooting the phone... I removed all the favorite contact and it works OK.
Contacted Tracfone and they are sending a replacement unit. This was after two long long long phone sessions.

Oh, to the poster above regarding warranty. One year is provided by Tracfone. 90 days for refurbs.
I had the same problem with mine...and my wifes. I was ready to take them both back.
Then I thought about something. The pics that the phone was trying to use were stored on the SD card.

Once I copied them to the phone memory (in the pictures folder) it worked fine. I guess it was too much
for the phone to process while trying to use those images for the favorites screen.

Good luck,
pjonthemount

Andrew

Thank you DoctorM, much appreciated on the calendar.

Now all I need do is chase down another K-mart special for $30... I'm sure I missed the boat though.

Yalda

I'm really sorry if I keep asking 'stupid' questions... but here goes again.

I've been getting to know the phone BEFORE registering it...and just now noticed: there is NO NETWORK SIGNAL!
Is this just because I haven't registered??? ... Or am I in trouble and really cannot use it?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

LastRone
November 24, 2012, 10:52 pm
I'm really sorry if I keep asking 'stupid' questions... but here goes again.

I've been getting to know the phone BEFORE registering it...and just now noticed: there is NO NETWORK SIGNAL!
Is this just because I haven't registered??? ... Or am I in trouble and really cannot use it?
if you haven't registered (activated) then there is no phone number -- I think that is the trigger for the message.
I got the same thing before I activated the phone.. When I was playing with the WiFi, browser and all the apps.
After I activated, the message disappeared.

Tech
Member Avatar

Tegan
November 24, 2012, 8:47 pm
The first thing I noticed
that concerned me was the Google Maps install. I downloaded the installer and then started to read through the
user agreement, and there it says that the user agrees to give google access to voice and data information. That
was a quick "decline" on my part.. That is unfortunate that they would request so much intrusion just to use their
map program. I guess it is that they are more so a data collection unit, more so than a map sharing source. That
is just something I thought people should know, and they might have overlooked... That could be a cause of the
pop-up issue people have had when using this app.
Yes, I read that as well and declined.
I don't know that the majority actually reads the terms of service and understands the depth of rights granted by
accepting them though.

But "it's free" as they say. Right? :unsure: ... Similar to the line about you get what you pay for. Folks really should
understand that cheap and free actually allow for some questionable practices to become the standard model
if they continue to just accept that reasoning as legitimate...which it absolutely isn't when discussing the actual
technology and science of the matter... Whatever though. Can say it till I'm blue in the face but am glad to see
that at least some do stop and say wait a second before just tapping the accept tab.

Also google maps app uses the virtual keypad that other apps would normally not need on a touch screen but
cannot get rid of on this device. So am thinking the google aspects of the phone has something to do with that
"problem". Tracfone does list their services prominently in their browser index. So....yeah. Easy to put two and
two together in that regard. Also the child's games you purchase from tracfone doesn't have the virtual keypad
either. Another clue as to the logic in some of the aggravation with the keypad..that google maps does actually
need on this thing to function.

Tech
Member Avatar

The file system or folders, of which I had many on the device, was lightening fast for me when I had it.
I had thousands of baseball photos and home movies on it separated by year and event from 2006-2012.
All indexed and ran smooth. So...no issue there for me. loaded rather quick. Had maybe 40 or 50 folders.
Some subfolders too... No problems.

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
November 21, 2012, 10:19 am
Battery Management
...the LG Optimus Net wouldn't even lasted half the night before depleting the battery..
^o)

Yalda

Wasn't someone having SOUND problems? I've gone through and turned EVERYTHING up to 7 and still the
Sound can BARELY be heard! Especially VOICE SOUND. The Ring Tones are also Barely Audible and I am
NOT hard of hearing.

What am I doing wrong?

Yalda

I'm totally connected and registered now ... and ... the Browser is NOT working.

NOT with MOBILE WEB or anything else. It keeps saying: "requested host not found".

Am I just really not having a good day or is there something wrong?

tktim

Text .txt , Photo .jpg, Image .png files:

I just got the LG 840g and have been able to load text (txt), photos (jpg), and Images (png) files from Windows
8 to the LG 840g... Use usb cable from pc to LG... Put text files in the "other files" folder on pc. Load jpg or png
photos/images into Pictures/Camera Album folder. Wake phone back up (push on button) and select disconnect
before removing the usb cable.

On phone select "file manager" then select the tab "memory card" and select the "other files" folder.
Select "yourfilename.txt" file, a viewer will display the text file. If you get a message that the file format is not
supported then go back to Windows and using Wordpad open and resave file as ("save as") a "plain text document"
and reload to LG. Loaded 4kb and 7kb text files successfully. Select "Pictures" on LG to view photos/images.
Loaded 116kb photos/images files successfully.

tktim

The stuff on Google maps policies is off subject and really should be it's own thread.

Short reply to: "give google access to voice and data information". Maps can use your "voice" (speak now) to go
to a location or text data to go to a location. GPS data information to find your location on a map... You also give
Norton Anti Virus access to ALL your text data information such as SMS & MMS, etc. You give Apple full access
to all your "Contacts" information etc. AT&T, Verizon, Tracfone (India), all full access. etc. etc.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

tktim
November 25, 2012, 3:06 am
The stuff on Google maps policies is off subject and really should be it's own thread.

Short reply to: "give google access to voice and data information". Maps can use your "voice" (speak now) to go
to a location or text data to go to a location. GPS data information to find your location on a map... You also give
Norton Anti Virus access to ALL your text data information such as SMS & MMS, etc. You give Apple full access
to all your "Contacts" information etc. AT&T, Verizon, Tracfone (India), all full access. etc. etc.
I agree with you.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

LastRone
November 25, 2012, 1:30 am
Wasn't someone having SOUND problems? I've gone through and turned EVERYTHING up to 7 and still the
Sound can BARELY be heard! Especially VOICE SOUND. The Ring Tones are also Barely Audible and I am
NOT hard of hearing.

What am I doing wrong?
Maybe nothing. But just to be sure, Do you have more than 2000 files in the AUDIO folder. There is a limit of 2000
music files. If that is not your problem, try taking the battery out and re-installing it... If that doesn't work, then it is
probably time to call TracFone.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

LastRone
November 25, 2012, 1:34 am
I'm totally connected and registered now ... and ... the Browser is NOT working.

NOT with MOBILE WEB or anything else. It keeps saying: "requested host not found".

Am I just really not having a good day or is there something wrong?
Do you have a good WiFi connection? Or alternatively, do you have "3G" and any bars on the signal strength indicator?
If not, then that is probably your problem, and you need to move your location.

If none of that is the problem, sounds like you might need to talk to TracFone customer service.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.