Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up here -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have total access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) LG 840g Phone Topic
Topic Started: September 24, 2012, 12:41 am (183,555 Views)
Tech
Member Avatar

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts or questions on this phone, feel free to post it all here ... thanks.

* Tracfone LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?

* Net10 LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MiMtnBiker
November 1, 2012, 11:25 am
I posted these questions on another forum but did not receive a response. A member there PMed me and
suggested that I post them here.

On Tuesday, I purchased an 840G and installed some apps and games on the phone. When I went to use
the apps or play the games, some sort of navigation menu appeared that I cannot get rid of. There is no way
to minimize it or close it out altogether. The menu makes it impossible to use those apps and games that I
installed.

I created a support ticket through TF, but their response was essentially that it's part of the programming and
there isn't anything they can do about it. They also told me to contact the manufacturer. It has been my
experience that contacting the manufacturer who produces phones for TF and N10 don't provide customer
support for those phones. So, needless to say, going that route was about worthless.

I haven't read any other instanced of this which leads me to believe I am either installing the wrong games/apps,
I am the only one with this problem and I have a defective phone, or no one else has installed any apps/games.
MiMtnBiker, It isn't just an issue with opera mini, it's a problem with every app I've tested. Seems like trac may
have fudged with the menu system or the ui function of the phones menu settings in my own opinion. As I was
saying somewhere here this phone has a specific ui or user interface that it uses to communicate and function
throughout the entire file system.

Could let the opera mini team know that this phone has the issue if for nothing else just to see if it's a problem of
the phone not supporting the apps or if it actually is tracfone crippling the ui of the device...which is what I think
is going on... In fact, the more people who actually do question these practices the better chance the end user
has of stopping the practice. Like they say...if you don't say anything then it's understood that you find it acceptable.

Keep in mind that this is the first phone of this type so nobody can fall back on the old gag about 'well, that's how
it's always been done" and then everyone just blindly say's "umkay..."This seems to be a fresh idea on a specific
means to cripple the actual function of these new devices for whatever reason. So, its either we let them know that
we don't want our phones actual operating system... and it is an operating system of sorts... crippled. The phone
itself is dependent upon it functioning as it was built to function.

As far as tracs response about the programming, it's not something that they cannot do about it if this is the case
but more so that they will not do anything about it because they are the ones crippling the ui of the phone in the
first place... which is used for those specific settings...that trac appears to have messed with.

I'm becoming curious about what they plan to mess with on some of these new phones that come out. Crippling
service is one thing but to cripple the actual menu and file system settings of the phones ui is a problem for me.

I thought that I had read somewhere around the threads that Turk had mentioned that there were tracfone people
registered on these boards but have yet to hear any response from them on some of the questions.
Crickets chirping.... B-)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jon

GR, It is not on the 3 diamond page. It is on the page where it says Contacts, Widget and Shortcut.
On the top of Widget, there is a "dented" thingy and when u pressed on it, it shows Music Player, bluetooth etc.

Tech, Probably you will get a PM from Tracfone Alex. He likes to do that.

Jon

ciliegia

Has anyone tried to use Yahoo mail on the phone?

I put it on my LG 800 and, in the beginning, it was fine. Now, it always says there is a problem.

Tech
Member Avatar

Jon
November 1, 2012, 5:31 pm
Tech, Probably you will get a PM from Tracfone Alex. He likes to do that.
More practical to simply participate in discussion. That's what I always thought was the reason for joining a public forum.

Tarkio101

They don't like to put their words in public under their name/affiliation. I don't think they don't troll public forums to
participate and educate, but to find people who seem particularly unhappy with something about Tracfone, with
the goal of taking the discussion OFFLINE, not having their answers online.

Tarkio101

MiMtnBiker
I posted these questions on another forum but did not receive a response. A member there PMed me and

On Tuesday, I purchased an 840G and installed some apps and games on the phone. When I went to use
the apps or play the games, some sort of navigation menu appeared that I cannot get rid of. There is no way
to minimize it or close it out altogether. The menu makes it impossible to use those apps and games that I
installed.

I created a support ticket through TF, but their response was essentially that it's part of the programming and
there isn't anything they can do about it. They also told me to contact the manufacturer. It has been my
experience that contacting the manufacturer who produces phones for TF and N10 don't provide customer
support for those phones. So, needless to say, going that route was about worthless.

I haven't read any other instanced of this which leads me to believe I am either installing the wrong games/apps,
I am the only one with this problem and I have a defective phone, or no one else has installed any apps/games.

Here are a couple of images of what I am referring to.

Posted Image
Posted Image
I already posted a possible solution... I haven't had time to finish working on it though.

Tech
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
November 1, 2012, 7:57 pm
They don't like to put their words in public under their name/affiliation. I don't think they don't troll public forums to
participate and educate, but to find people who seem particularly unhappy with something about Tracfone, with
the goal of taking the discussion OFFLINE, not having their answers online.
Yes, I know. Think of it like this though. Suppose I'm a baker and am selling cakes. Now everyone sees that there
is a new flavor of cake and everybody's like wow, I've got to try that new cake. Of course, the cakes are in demand
because before all everyone had was crackers to nibble on and only a few have managed to take a bite of this new
cake. Now they find that it's missing suger, has a little too much salt and the icing isn't compatible with the cake itself
and only comes in two flavors and is really hot because for some reason it has pepper in it. Now after you've tasted
it yer like hey, everybody. This is what's wrong with the cake. Think twice before you just go jump on it just because
it's the newest craze.

Now if I'm the baker and don't want to see my cake sales go down then certainly I'm going to try to hush up the cracker
jack who actually tasted the cake. It's growth 101. Doesn't mean the cake's going to get it's recipe refiggered. In fact
it practically guarantees that it won't if folks aren't able to discuss the bad recipe. It's a known fact that it only takes 2%
to cause change. And we can check out the weekly poll here at Turk for a prime example of that very phenomenon. ;) :D

Anyhoo. I'm not picking on those members or anything but there are some really screwy things about this new device
that are just so basic that they need answers too. Technical service at trac kind of just chuckles at you when you call
with questions and gives you the old that's the way it is and deal with it routine. Just thought maybe if they were actually
reading the threads that they would consider some feedback is all. It's not like i want to argue with them on a forum or
anything. If I wanted to have a one on one relevant to questions about the technical aspects and shortcomings of the
device I'd call technical support. Which is what I did. As I said...Chuckle...pack sand.
That's basically the kind of response that was given in tone.

It's just some really silly things that ruin the function of this device and it's almost like it's on purpose is all. But for what?
They are simple features.

GRRacing

Tech and Jon, Thanks. I found the little black tab just as you instructed!!

Does anyone on this board have a quick easy way to make my own ringtones for the LG 840G?
Where do they get stored on the phone?
How does the ring section of the phone know where to look for the ringtone?

As usual, thanks for the help. Gene

DoctorM
Member Avatar

MiMtnBiker

installed.

Here are a couple of images of what I am referring to.

Posted Image
Posted Image
I think what you are seeing is the same thing you would see on the LG 800G. It appears (to me) that some java
apps are NOT really designed for a touchscreen, and have just added touchscreen cursor controls for a game
designed for a hard keyboard - which often don't work right on the touchscreen.

When you install such Java apps, you usually get a little window during installation asking if you want the
keyboard (the apps keyboard cursor control) installed. If you say yes, and then the apps cursor controls doesn't
work, you should delete the app. You can try re-installing the app, and then select NO when it asks if you want
the keyboard, and see if that helps.

Don't be surprised that many java apps do not work on the LG 840G's touchscreen. I think less than half the java
apps I tried on the LG 800G did not work right, and I ended up deleting them. I think you will likely have the same
success rate on the LG 840G.

Just my opinion, but I think most of the java apps available are crap, or crappy versions. And many of the "free"
apps are hacks that might also contain malware, or "phone home" instructions that cost you minutes to run.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tech
Member Avatar

Edit -- I think I'm just going to go buy a Windows Phone.

Turk -- Good platform you have here.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
Tech:

* Tech .... thanks for the Site compliment ... it is appreciated.. ;)
* Sounds like you are leaving the Forums? ... If you are, just wanted to say thanks for all your input about this phone.

* However, before you go, there is an exit fee on Turk Forums if a Member decides to leave (it's in the fine print). :huh:
* You have to pay me an Exit Fee of $20 -- or 2 large pizzas -- or send me your LG 840g for free! (just kidding)(LOL)
-----------------------------
* Attention: I was in one of my Dollar General stores today, and they now have the Tracfone LG 840g for sale for $60.
* However, they now have it on sale for $50 until November 26th 2012 - if anyone is interested.
* If you want, you can take a DG flyer to Walmart and have them price match the phone if your DG doesn't have any.
-----------------------------
* Thanks to everyone so far that has contributed or helped out on dealing with this new LG 840g phone -- thanks!

The Turk B-)

Tech
Member Avatar

Turk
November 2, 2012, 9:38 pm
Tech:

* Tech .... thanks for the Site compliment ... it is appreciated.. ;)
* Sounds like you are leaving the Forums? ... If you are, just wanted to say thanks for all your input about this phone.

The Turk B-)
I don't know. Was thinking about checking in to see if anyone had any questions about the phone because I found
a lot out about how it functions in the areas less figgered.

Don't know if you read the posting before I just told myself to heck with it, it isn't worth it but the inability to remove
what Tracfone seems to be storing and not letting the end user access and delete is bigtime bad news. Wouldn't
use this phone for personal business so I'll leave it at that. folks will have to just make a choice for themselves but
hopefully they'll really take a good look under the hood like I did before they decide.

There is a rather full list of things I've found and haven't even brought up because I was waiting to see just how
thorough folks would "test" the device. I'll probably scribble it up and post it but just got a new toy so will probably
be messing with that for a bit... What I actually need is a mobile office, and I simply don't trust that tracs going to
respect the privacy that managing ones data actually requires.

Heck, you can't even change that dumb sounding voicemail tone. You have to use a default one that you can't even
find in the phones menu system. I guess it's in the same menu as the shutdown and startup sounds because it isn't
in the regular ringtones folder and neither are they.

This phone would be the bees knees if it didn't have Tracfones software leeched onto it and crippling it's default functions.

Seriously though. I like this forum much better than the other one. You know the one.

Edit -- Oh, and one more thing that's really stupid. If you have your ring set as high as it will go so that you can hear
it from another room like I do it works awesome. Of course then if I listen to a song on the mp3 player or watch a video
the volume works in sync with the ringtones. So if I'm listening to the sound in a video and it's all of the way up...equal
to my ringtone sound For whatever stupid reason the programmer chose to do it that way...this means that the video
sound is way too loud. Which is OK. Fine, you just turn down the sound while you're playing the video, right?

Of course then the next time your phone rings you can barely hear it because it's sound control is in sync with the
media sync.

I'm telling you folks, I don't think trac is going to do these new devices much justice. I think they are going to completely
ruin the enjoyment and experience of having these nice toys based upon their own existence in relation to them.
They take and ruin a perfectly good file system and cripple necessary functions of the device and for what? And
it's all because of this awkward bass awkward clunker of a browser shortcut they call the mobile web.... which it
ain't exactly. It's certainly not worthy enough to hijack the devices function in the most basic manner it was meant
to be used. Would rather spend a few extra dollars and get enjoyment out of my device.

I don't know. Just seems like trac is of the notion that the demographic that is the target of these new devices are
complete morons or something... I was wondering why in the heck there hasn't been a decent review of this new
device like every other phone that comes along. This lg840 is a transition device to a new era of Tracfone. Folks
should use it as a chance to get in their ear and let them know what they think before the next phone comes along.
If not then it's too late and it becomes standard practice crippling really nice devices of their most basic functions,
some of which are necessary regardless of trac's view on it.

Tarkio101

Hey Turk, do you know if I can take the ad from DG to Walmart with my receipt and get the 10 bucks difference?

I have no idea how that works with Walmart... If not, I think I'll take it back and just get a the one from DG.

annepani

Tech
November 2, 2012, 10:34 pm
just got a new toy, so will probably be messing with that for a bit ... Would rather spend a few extra dollars and
get enjoyment out of my device.
What phone (new toy) did you get to replace the LG 840g?

tracfone2004

Well I'm not sure that all of Tech's concerns about this phone are true or why Tracfone would even care about
some of these things but I would agree that if the phone were not re-programmed by Tracfone and was more
useable that maybe Tracfone would sell more minutes because the phone would be more fun to use and we
would probably use more minutes playing with it... Isn't that where they make the money?? With minutes?

Tech
Member Avatar

Not so much why would trac want to do it but they seem to have a growing list of vested interest in their product
as far as third parties to include the fact that these are also given out to people for free and government/welfare
funded as well.

Anyhow... I'm putting all of that aside just because I think it's best here to leave out any opinion regarding these
outliers but am working on a list of issues that I've found. I've used trac for many years and it just agitates me that
when we finally do get a decent phone that it's not really ours, it's the playground for third party interests.

I think we'll find that it's a pretty accurate list once I'm finished. Just haven't been messing with it...

Also waiting for some actual reviews on this phone as it relates to the new trend of devices to see just how detailed
of a review gets done. Usually folks are popping out youtube videos every time a new phone comes out for review.
Interestingly enough though, not this time.

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
Now available at Best Buy as well...

Posted Image

tracfone2004

Tech:

I've used trac fo many years and it just agitates me that when we finally do get a decent phone that it's not really ours.
Usually folks are popping out youtube videos every time a new phone comes out for review.
Interestingly enough though, not this time.
Agree 100%.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

I just got back from my local Target (Largo, FL) and they had the 840g too.
They only had 2...well now they have one. ;)

Still no cases showing up, not even for t375, but I did buy a gel case for my LG 800g a while back that seemed
a bit big and has enough stretch to it that it might work for a temporary fix. I found it at Amazon for .48 and $2.85
in shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/WIRELESS-CENTRAL-Silicone-Sleeve-TRACFONE/dp/B005WL40XU/ref=?

As soon as I get the phone up and running I'll check it out... Of course the camera hole won't line up, but it can
cut if needed... although I don't use the camera that often so that can wait until a 'real' case becomes available.

Tech
Member Avatar

Wow. Went to edit and cleared the whole thing. I'm not typing all of that again.... :unsure:

Basically there needs to be a way to clear notepad/Keyboard input history, I guess.

Tarkio101

phoenix1
November 3, 2012, 3:57 pm
I just got back from my local Target (Largo, FL) and they had the 840g too.
They only had 2...well now they have one. ;)

Still no cases showing up, not even for t375, but I did buy a gel case for my LG 800g a while back that seemed
a bit big and has enough stretch to it that it might work for a temporary fix. I found it at Amazon for .48 and $2.85
in shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/WIRELESS-CENTRAL-Silicone-Sleeve-TRACFONE/dp/B005WL40XU/ref=?

As soon as I get the phone up and running I'll check it out... Of course the camera hole won't line up, but it can
cut if needed... although I don't use the camera that often so that can wait until a 'real' case becomes available.
I haven't had much luck with any cases either. But I am usually pretty gentle on my phones, so it should be ok until
I get one.

I'm still surprised that HSN has not come out with a special on this phone yet. I can't remember the exact timing, but
it seems like HSN had the 800g before any stores and sold about 30,000 in the first day alone. Looks like they may
not gotten the exclusive on this one. I am glad I went ahead and bought it, but I still might return it if I can if HSN busts
out a great deal. Their deals always include a case too.

I'm still impressed with the touchscreen on this phone. Very accurate. Very precise. Works about as well as any phone
out there. Wish the screen would stay on, at least very dimly while the MP3 players is going, so I didn't have to wake it
up to advance a song.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
Tarkio101:

Turk:

* Attention: I was in one of my Dollar General stores today, and they now have the Tracfone LG 840g for sale for $60.
* However, they now have it on sale for $50 until November 26th 2012 - if anyone is interested.
* If you want, you can take a DG flyer to Walmart and have them price match the phone if your DG doesn't have any.
Hey Turk, do you know if I can take the ad from DG to Walmart with my receipt and get the 10 bucks difference?
I have no idea how that works with Walmart... If not, I think I'll take it back and just get a the one from DG.
* Tarkio101 ... I was at one of my many Walmart stores today, and I asked them about your phone question.
* They said Yes, you can do that, just bring in the DG sales ad/phone flyer with your Walmart phone receipt,
* and go to the Customer Service desk, and they should just give you the $10 difference back ... good luck.

* Ps: remember though, Walmart only has a 15 day return policy for electronics and phones/prepaid phones.

TurkMart B-)

Tarkio101

Jon, I think turning it off and then back on should reset the time if it didn't reset on its own.

tenderfoot

I picked up a TracFone LG 840G today at Walmart in Orange City, Florida for $59.88, and the customer service
rep in the "Walmart Wireless" store took care of activating it by calling into the TracFone Customer Service and
had them transfer my existing TracFone phone number, remaining airtime minutes and remaining days from my
old Motorola TracFone to the new device. This took about 45 minutes as he had to wait on hold for a long time on
Sunday afternoon before he got a Customer Service Rep to help him.

After completing the phone call with TracFone, we had to wait about 15 minutes for the transfer and activation to
complete via the AT&T Network. After he verified phone was "Activated" and the old phone number and all minutes
and remaining subscription days had transferred successfully from my old phone to the new one, he removed the
old SIM from my old Motorola TracFone and copied the contacts over to the new SIM that was packed with the new
LG 840G TracFone using a little machine at their office. Then he put the SIM's back into their respective phones and
it appears everything pretty much transferred over without issue with the exception of the "type" of phone number that
transferred such as Home, Mobile, Office, etc.

I was really pleased with the Walmart Representative's handling of my purchase, activation and transfer associated
with this new phone. He was very pleasant to deal with and very knowledgeable. He indicated that this phone has
only been available for a few weeks. Oddly enough, I could not find the phone available yet on the TracFone Web
Site, but I did find a really nice Tutorial and Manual when I Googled the phone model number.

The phone itself is pretty thin and has a 3.2" Touchscreen Display and comes with both 3G and Wi-Fi Connectivity.
It also came with a 2GB microSD Card already installed. (It will accommodate up to a 32GB card) The phone itself
has a very solid substantial feel to it. The touch screen is extremely responsive and easy to navigate... It is a GSM
Phone and DOES HAVE both Wi-Fi and 3G service on the AT&T network here in Central Florida. Some web sites I
have visited seemed to indicate that this phone had an FM Radio built into it, but it does not. It does have a Camera,
Video Recorder, Sound Recorder and MP3 Player as well as Bluetooth support and a basic web browser with a few
preconfigured short cuts to connect directly to Facebook, Twitter and Myspace.

This IS A TRIPLE MINUTE FOR LIFE PHONE, meaning for every minute you purchase from TracFone, you will wind
up with 3. So purchasing a 60 minute card will net you 180 minutes on your phone (and possibly even some bonus
minutes if you enter a valid Bonus Code when you make your airtime purchase through the web site or through the
phone itself)... I generally purchase the Exclusive 1 year card directly from the TracFone web site, because you can
get a much better deal on the annual card with minutes ONLY from the TracFone Site. (Frequently you can also add
bonus codes during the checkout process to acquire several hundred free bonus minutes).

The packaging claims that SMS Text Messages cost 1/3rd of a minute per message, and of course you pay for both
outbound and inbound messages. MMS messages (Those that include photo's or video clips will cost more to send
and receive because of the larger amount of data moving across the network).

My first impression is that this is going to be a really nice phone to own and use... I don't use a cell phone or text
messaging very much, so being able to have all of these features for an extremely low annual cost is awesome!

The Wi-Fi connectivity works great on my home network using WPA2 encryption. My SSID is hidden (never broad
casted) at home, and the phone has no problem connecting to it. (Other phones I have had sometimes would not
connect to the router if the SSID was not broadcast by the Router). Overall, it appears to be a great device and I'm
looking forward to using it for a long time to come.

Jon

Tarkio101
November 4, 2012, 11:28 am
Jon, I think turning it off and then back on should reset the time if it didn't reset on its own.
Tarkio101, my phone reset the time after I posted the question on the forum. That is why I deleted the post.
Sorry about that, but thanks for your reply.

weiden1

Re: Faceplate and screen protector for LG 840G.

Does anyone know if this phone is the same as the LG Lucid VS840??

Have found accessories for the VS840 on Amazon.

Tarkio101

No, not the same phone...

In pictures of the VS 840, the camera is not in the same place. And it looks much, much larger.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ weiden1 - plus the VS has a 4"screen (the LG 840G has a 3.2" screen)

mowestusa

Long Time Tracfone user, new forum member, just upgraded from Motorola w260g FLIP to the LG 840g.
I'm loving all of the new features, but a few questions about apps:

1. Is there anyway to remove the keypad that takes up 1/3 of the screen when you install a new app from getjar.com?

2. Any recommendations on a txt or html or ebook reader for the 840g? (Primarily want to read txt files)?

3. Trying Mtextreader, which I like, but how do you remove the constant warning about "Untrusted Midlet" app?

4. This is reaching I'm sure, but anyway to sync or view Google Calendar for a week?

Tarkio101

I can help you with number 4. Go here http://www.google.com/sync/index.html and it will tell you how to do it.

It's pretty self explanatory from there. Just follow the directions for "sync with mobile browser" since the other
options are for Apple, Android and Windows. I've used it on Android and on this phone, and there's really no
difference.

Tarkio101

Another tip for everyone out there--Book mark the m.google.com site.
It has all the links you need for google services on it. Search, maps, calender, email, and many others.

mowestusa

Tarkio101
November 7, 2012, 9:37 pm
Another tip for everyone out there--Book mark the m.google.com site.
It has all the links you need for google services on it. Search, maps, calender, email, and many others.
Does the browser on the LG 840g remember and keep your login information, or do you have to enter it every time?
(because this is a hassle since you have to use the numeric pad to input on a webpage.)

DoctorM
Member Avatar

mowestusa
November 7, 2012, 7:19 pm
Long Time Tracfone user, new forum member, just upgraded from Motorola w260g FLIP to the LG 840g.
I'm loving all of the new features, but a few questions about apps:

1. Is there anyway to remove the keypad that takes up 1/3 of the screen when you install a new app from getjar.com?
2. Any recommendations on a txt or html or ebook reader for the 840g? (Primarily want to read txt files)?

3. Trying Mtextreader, which I like, but how do you remove the constant warning about "Untrusted Midlet" app?
4. This is reaching I'm sure, but anyway to sync or view Google Calendar for a week?
1. See if post #209 above helps. I don't anyway to remove a java app keyboard once its installed, other than delete
the app and re-install it. maybe someone else has another solution.

2. I'm just going by the LG 800G document reader, which does not have a widget or short cut. You just go to your
document, then click on it and the phone loads a built-in document reader. Try loading in a document, then find it
and see if the LG 840G has the same or a similar built-in document reader... Let us know if that works or not.

mowestusa

I wanted to try DoctorM's suggestions, but...

I'm thought I could simply plug in the LG 840g to my computer and add files to it, but there must be something else
that needs to be done... Windows Vista Claimed that it needed to install a driver for the "LG USB Modem" which I
thought was weird, but went with it. It directed me to the LG site where I downloaded the driver, installed it successfully,
but now when I connect the phone with the USB cable nothing happens other than charging. It is the same cable that
I use with my Kindle Fire so I don't believe it is the USB cable. How do others download things to their LG 840g phones?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

mowestusa
November 8, 2012, 12:31 pm

I'm thought I could simply plug in the LG 840g to my computer and add files to it, but there must be something else
that needs to be done... Windows Vista Claimed that it needed to install a driver for the "LG USB Modem" which I
thought was weird, but went with it. It directed me to the LG site where I downloaded the driver, installed it successfully,
but now when I connect the phone with the USB cable nothing happens other than charging. It is the same cable that
I use with my Kindle Fire so I don't believe it is the USB cable. How do others download things to their LG 840g phones?
I hate Vista. It is so un-intuitive.

Three general ways to transfer files:

1. Take out the microSD card from the phone and put it in your PC. You probably need a microSD to SD adapter,
or a microSD to USB adapter.

2. Bluetooth... Your phone has Bluetooth built-in. If your PC doesn't have Bluetooth built in, then you will need a
Bluetooth dongle (normally looks like a small USB flash drive). You can buy them on eBay for around $4 and up.
You have to pair the two (phone and PC) first. Then on the PC just right-click the file you want to send, a sub-menu
should pop up with a SEND TO option - click on it and Bluetooth should be an option - select it. You might get a
wizard that asks you to pick the Bluetooth device to send to, then pick the file (even though you already did).

TIP: If you have several Bluetooth devices, name them first so you can tell them apart.

3. Data cable. The data cable should plug the phone's microSD card into the PC as if it was a USB drive. I would
suspect it is the cable. There are data-disabled USB cables out there which only allow charging... You can buy
cheap microUSB to USB cables on eBay and Amazon.com for a few dollars. The bubble-wrapped ones in WalMart
are expensive.

tracfone2004

I have asked this question a week or so ago and did not get an answer. How well does this phone work on
Facebook... Can you take a photo with the LG840g and post it to facebook adding a comment to the photo?

Thanks.

annepani

mowestusa
November 8, 2012, 12:31 pm

Do you have a microSD card installed in the phone? You can only transfer data between the phone's micro card
and the PC... Do you have the phone's USB set to 'Mass Storage' and not 'Modem'?

mowestusa

annepani
November 8, 2012, 4:44 pm
Do you have a microSD card installed in the phone? You can only transfer data between the phone's micro card
and the PC... Do you have the phone's USB set to 'Mass Storage' and not 'Modem'?
I do have the microSD card installed. I can't find where to set the phone's USB to either "modem" or "mass storage".
The cable I have is a cheap one from Amazon for a couple of dollars, and I just tried it with my Kindle Fire and it
connected and transferred data.

I just connected the cable to the LG 840g and a Windows 7 computer and the phone asked if I wanted to connect
as a mass storage device, I said yes, and everything worked great. I guess it was just a problem with my work Vista
computer... The phone never asked if I wanted to connect as a mass storage device when I connected it to the
Windows Vista computer. Just weird, I guess.

DoctorM,
I loaded a txt file and an html file and a jpg file. When I went to the file manager and clicked on the txt file and the
html file I got the response "Unsupported File Type". It did open a 320x240 jpg file just fine. So I tried Mtextreader
and it seemed to work after ok'ing 6 times to allow it to open the text file, but it only would show about 50% of the
file. Once again weird.

So I'm not have a lot of success in viewing txt or html files on the device.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

mowestusa
November 8, 2012, 8:39 pm
annepani
November 8, 2012, 4:44 pm
I do have the microSD card installed. I can't find where to set the phone's USB to either "modem" or "mass storage".
The cable I have is a cheap one from Amazon for a couple of dollars, and I just tried it with my Kindle Fire and it
connected and transferred data.

I just connected the cable to the LG 840g and a Windows 7 computer and the phone asked if I wanted to connect
as a mass storage device, I said yes, and everything worked great. I guess it was just a problem with my work Vista
computer... The phone never asked if I wanted to connect as a mass storage device when I connected it to the
Windows Vista computer. Just weird, I guess.

DoctorM,
I loaded a txt file and an html file and a jpg file. When I went to the file manager and clicked on the txt file and the
html file I got the response "Unsupported File Type". It did open a 320x240 jpg file just fine. So I tried Mtextreader
and it seemed to work after ok'ing 6 times to allow it to open the text file, but it only would show about 50% of the
file. Once again weird.

So I'm not have a lot of success in viewing txt or html files on the device.
Thanks for the confirmation that Vista sucks... There is probably a way to make it work, but I find it all too difficult
to navigate around in Vista and find things (I have it on my kids computer, and it was a major reason for me NOT
upgrading my own computer from XP). :wub:

Thanks for the confirmation that the LG 840G may not have a built in document reader like the LG 800G has.
That is disappointing to find out.

And thanks for keeping us posted on your findings.
That's the way we learn here - just try it out and see what happens. :)

phoenix1
Member Avatar

weiden1
November 6, 2012, 2:42 pm

Someone (I think it was here but can't remember who..sorry :$ ) suggested that the LG T375 is the same
phone only not the Tracfone version. I found some screen protectors on Amazon for the LG T375 for $1.99
(with free shipping) and you get 5. I ordered them and they came today, they're a perfect fit.

They're a little different than the other screen protectors since you only have to peel off the back and apply, no
top layer to peel off... They're a bit bubbly right now, but supposedly they should be gone with in 24-48 hours.
They don't seem to effect the use of the phone at all. The only strange thing is the write up for them say they will
last 2-3 months...is that normal or should they last longer than that? ... You can check them out here.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

phoenix1
November 9, 2012, 6:21 pm
weiden1

The Lucid 840G has different dimensions and 4" screen.
http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-VS840-lucid/reviews

zombie

phoenix1

I found some screen protectors on Amazon for the LG T375 for $1.99 (with free shipping) and you get 5...
...They're a little different than the other screen protectors since you only have to peel off the back and apply,
no top layer to peel off... The only strange thing is the write up for them say they will last 2-3 months... is that
normal or should they last longer than that? ... You can check them out here.
From what I have seen there are at least two different material types of screen protectors. One type that you seem
to have is thinner, less flexible, adheres with static cling (no adhesive or soapy water needed), costs less, and
doesn't last as long, though it's slightly more transparent unless it intentionally has a matte outer finish.

How long it lasts has a lot to do with how often you use the screen, how it's treated, stored, and how long and rough
your fingernails are. All else being equal the type described seems to last about 1/3rd as long but is often less than
1/3rd the price of the more durable type when purchasing more than 2 or 3 sheets at a time to make up for postage
costs.

Tarkio101

phoenix1
weiden1

Someone (I think it was here but can't remember who..sorry :$ ) suggested that the LG T375 is the same
phone only not the Tracfone version. I found some screen protectors on Amazon for the LG T375 for $1.99
(with free shipping) and you get 5. I ordered them and they came today, they're a perfect fit.

They're a little different than the other screen protectors since you only have to peel off the back and apply, no
top layer to peel off... They're a bit bubbly right now, but supposedly they should be gone with in 24-48 hours.
They don't seem to effect the use of the phone at all. The only strange thing is the write up for them say they will
last 2-3 months...is that normal or should they last longer than that? ... You can check them out here.
That was me. Glad you got them and they fit the phone well.

Bu the bigger lesson to remember is this-- Tracfones version of almost every phone uses a different model number
than the manufacturer uses for the "regular" version of the phone... By regular, I mean the one sold internationally.
A large number of phones sold for Tracfone over the years have already been on the market elsewhere for a while.
So if you can find out the "regular" model number, finding accessories is much easier. They will already be out in the
market place and widely available, but often not searchable/findable using the Tracfone model number.

The software may not be exactly the same, but accessories like cases (hardware related) will nearly always be perfect.
And if there is ever any doubt, just look up the specs (they get down to the millimeter lol) and take a look at a picture to
make sure, and it should work well for you.

JJC

Some news I've discovered about this phone to pass along.

KMART black friday ad has this phone at $29.99.

http://www.theblackfriday.com/ads/kmart2012/kmart-black-friday-ad35.shtml

HSN will be running a today's special on 11/11 (Sunday) on the new Tracfone LG 840G for $99.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

zombie
November 9, 2012, 7:39 pm
How long it lasts has a lot to do with how often you use the screen, how it's treated, stored, and how long and rough
your fingernails are. All else being equal the type described seems to last about 1/3rd as long but is often less than
1/3rd the price of the more durable type when purchasing more than 2 or 3 sheets at a time to make up for postage
costs.
Thanks for the info, I just ordered more, they're cheap enough. I don't use the phone much, I have it for emergencies
in case of car trouble and I get a text once in a while. I don't even leave it turned on - LOL.. I really like the look of the
840g over the LG 800, it's a lot sleeker. Maybe with the phone being featured more they will eventually have a better
selection of protectors and maybe some cases soon.

Thanks Tarkio101 for the hint about the LG T375... I'd still be guessing on which one would work the best. :D

Of course they'll be putting them on sale... just my luck . But I'm glad I got mine already, I'd hate to fight those crowds
only to find out they've already sold out. :huh:

DoctorM
Member Avatar

JJC
November 10, 2012, 12:41 am

HSN will be running a today's special on 11/11 (Sunday) on the new Tracfone LG 840G for $99.
No K-Mart in a 50 mile radius from me, maybe 100 miles... But K-Mart customer rep assures me that the same
merchandise will be available on-line during the sale. Anybody have previous experience with K-Mart on line?

In the $99 HSN deal, the $30 K-Mart price is probably at or near cost, and would suggest that the HSN offer should
have at least $69 worth of minutes and accessories.

Tarkio101

I saw some of these black friday deals mentioned online in the last couple of days. I was at day 15 of my 15 day
return policy on the one I bought at Walmart so I took it back yesterday. Very glad I did, now that I see HSN has
the phone tomorrow. I am not so worried about the getting the absolute best deal possible, but paying full price
for the phone with no extras (minutes, accessories etc) is tough for my cheap self to swallow. lol

Thanks for the updates on the deals. I appreciate it.

Tarkio101

DoctorM
November 10, 2012, 12:20 pm
JJC
November 10, 2012, 12:41 am

No K-Mart in a 50 mile radius from me, maybe 100 miles... But K-Mart customer rep assures me that the same
merchandise will be available on-line during the sale. Anybody have previous experience with K-Mart on line?

In the $99 HSN deal, the $30 K-Mart price is probably at or near cost, and would suggest that the HSN offer
should have at least $69 worth of minutes and accessories.
Just a general note for some of those Black Friday deals. It depends on the company and sometimes it depends on
the product, but sometimes the Black Friday deals are available ONLINE as well... But often, only during the same
hours they are at that price in the stores. Every company seems to do it a little differently with online. Some don't make
any of them available online. I don't know much about K mart online, but have ordered from Sears online and had no
problems. Sears owns Kmart.

But, point being, if there is a deal you see out there and there is not a store near you, it is worth looking into the stores
online Black Friday procedures for online sales. It's not just Kmart doing this. Someone pointed this out to me a few
years ago and it worked well for me on a couple of occasions.

The good thing about this phone and Black Friday is this is a phone that is a normal product, not a special limited buy.
The price might be special, but it's not one of those things they order 1000 of and never have again. How many they
want to sell cheap is another issue, but actual supply of the phone should not be a major issue.

Tarkio101

Hey JJC, where you do find HSN's deals that are coming up?

JJC

It was mentioned on slickdeals.net a couple of days ago.

Tarkio101

Hey all, GREAT news. HSN is running the 840G today! $99.95 for the phone, car charge, comes with the regular
black battery cover AND you choose another color/animal print cover, free shipping, 1400 minutes included. Pay
all at once or they split the balance on your debit/credit card over 4 months. As usual, HSN came through for me.

http://www.hsn.com/electronics/lg-touchscreen-3g-wifi-camera-smartphone-with-1400-minutes_m-10062425_xp.aspx

About 6,000 were sold in the first 30 minutes they aired it. Very glad I used Walmarts return policy just yesterday. :)

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Tarkio101 .... hey man, just think, about a month ago you were about to leave Tracfone for good because they had
* no WiFi touchscreens out .... now a month later, you're still here, and you got your early Christmas present. (lol) ;)

* Also, I don't know if HSN is selling a case with this phone - it looks like it may be an alternate colored battery cover?

* It says in the description "a colored battery cover" ... for everyone's sake, I hope I'm wrong and it's a phone case/cover.

* Just saying, cause I've seen them do this in the past with some other phones, they sold different colored battery covers.

T u B-) r K

Tarkio101

Yeah, you are right. It is a colored back cover and not a case but they did say it is in addition to the standard black
battery cover. I just selected my color and didn't pay any attention.

And yes, all I wanted was a touchscreen wifi phone. And tracfone came thru. The Samsung 390g was actually a
pretty good phone, and in some ways, a little better than this one. But I do love the touchscreens... And in the 2
weeks I have been using it, there were a few disappointments, but even more pleasant surprises.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

I was going to go for the K-Mart $30 deal. But this HSN special appears to be the best deal, all things considered.
So I ordered one (with a red back, which should be cool looking). They also have an extended return time, near 3
months (31 Jan 2013) for a full refund.

I also have a 32GB and a 16GB microSDHC cards already standing buy... So I'll confirm if a 32GB card works.
(The HSN special ad lists 4GB as the max.)

phoenix1
Member Avatar

I found a gel case for the LG T375 (the non Tracfone version of the 840g)...the only thing is you have to buy 500
of them, from China. :blink: So I guess they're out there as long as you have 499 other friends to buy them with you.

You can see them here. ..... Hopefully someone will have them available soon.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

phoenix1
November 11, 2012, 3:36 am
I found a gel case for the LG T375 (the non Tracfone version of the 840g)...the only thing is you have to buy 500
of them, from China :blink: So I guess they're out there as long as you have 499 other friends to buy them with you.
You can see them here. Hopefully someone will have them available soon.
Probably could easily sell them on eBay or Amazon.com...

Without a gel case these phones slip into and out of a pocket much easier, but they also slip out of your hand much
easier, especially when you also have something else in hand. I had a gel case on my Lg 800G for several months
without ever dropping it. So I took off the gel case, and promptly dropped it three times on the hard concrete, knocking
the back cover off. So, having learned my lesson the hard way, I put the gel cover back on (phone still works.)

cpw
Member Avatar
cpw
Tarkio101
November 11, 2012, 1:15 am
Hey all, GREAT news. HSN is running the 840G today! $99.95 for the phone, car charge, comes with the regular
black battery cover AND you choose another color/animal print cover, free shipping, 1400 minutes included. Pay
all at once or they split the balance on your debit/credit card over 4 months. As usual, HSN came through for me.

http://www.hsn.com/electronics/lg-touchscreen-3g-wifi-camera-smartphone-with-1400-minutes_m-10062425_xp.aspx

About 6,000 were sold in the first 30 minutes they aired it. Very glad I used Walmarts return policy just yesterday. :)
I also need to return a Walmart phone (that I bought before finding out about the HSN deal) before my 15 days are up.
Can I still retain my phone # and minutes if returned before I receive the new phone from HSN? :(

DoctorM
Member Avatar

CPW
November 11, 2012, 5:32 am
Tarkio101

I also need to return a Walmart phone (that I bought before finding out about the HSN deal) before my 15 days are up.
Can I still retain my phone # and minutes if returned before I receive the new phone from HSN? :(
If you got a spare TracFone you're not using, its best to transfer your time and minutes to it for safe keeping.
I keep my old TracFones just for that purpose. It doesn't cost you anything to do it.
Make sure you call the Miami office, because some call centers want you to buy time.

You can call TracFone and ask if you can park your time and minutes in space, but I kind of doubt it.
However, let us know if they will do that, and how it works out..

cpw
Member Avatar
cpw
DoctorM
November 11, 2012, 6:01 am
CPW
November 11, 2012, 5:32 am
Tarkio101

I also need to return a Walmart phone (that I bought before finding out about the HSN deal) before my 15 days are up. Can I still retain my phone # and minutes if returned before I receive the new phone from HSN? :(
If you got a spare TracFone you're not using, its best to transfer your time and minutes to it for safe keeping.
I keep my old TracFones just for that purpose. It doesn't cost you anything to do it.
Make sure you call the Miami office, because some call centers want you to buy time.

You can call TracFone and ask if you can park your time and minutes in space, but I kind of doubt it.
However, let us know if they will do that, and how it works out..
Thanks, but this is my first tracfone, I'm a real newbie. My 15 days are up on the 14th. I'm hoping the HSN phone will
come in time but it's tight timing... Maybe I should just buy an ultra cheap tf to transfer minutes onto just in case..?

Tarkio101

I wouldn't risk losing the 60 bucks. The new phone won't be to you by the 14th most likely. It probably won't even
ship until Monday. Since you can get cheap tracfones for 10 bucks at places like Family Dollar, Dollar General etc,
(maybe Walmart?), personally, I would buy one and transfer the minutes to it. The ten bucks is nothing compared
to losing your minutes or not being able to return the one you have now. And, you'll have a back up phone.

I have a backup phone like that. Once in a great while if I get an awesome promo code that gives tons of free minutes,
I'll add some to the alternate phone since the promo codes can often only be used on a phone one time. I just use
those minutes if I need to make a long call, call an 800 number, wait on hold for the dr office etc. I also like to have
an alternate phone # to give out, but that's just me.

Being new to tracfone, you're in the right place. I'd say almost all of people posting on here are correct about 99% of
the time... This is a great forum to pick up tips that are actually useful IMO.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ CPW --
and don't worry about your tripled minutes - you won't lose them if you transfer to a phone without triple minutes.
When you call TracFone to activate your temporary phone and transfer time and minutes, you can also keep your
phone number if you want it... Sometimes you can do this online without a customer rep, but I've never been able
to do it. Be positive about how much time and how many minutes are transferring - write it down, because they will
empty the phone first, before transferring the minutes, and if they think you are just guessing, they may just cut the
time and minutes you have.

cpw
Member Avatar
cpw
Yeah, I might just do that. Seems like everybody on here has many phones?!!

cpw
Member Avatar
cpw
Was jealous of the deals people were saying they were getting at Dollar General... Had never heard of that store
and thought it was a "back East" thing and not out here in Cali. Just recently looked up the web site and found out
they opened one up about 2 months ago just 10 minutes from me; whatta ya know. Going tomorrow!

phoenix1
Member Avatar

In my obsession to find accessories for the 840g, I've found what seems to be the regular style of screen protectors.
They come from a UK company, again they are for the LG T375, but they fit perfect... HSN has sold almost 10,000
(as of 7:30 this morning), hopefully that will lead to actual LG 840g goodies coming soon.

If you want to check out the new screen protectors, you'll find them here.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

CPW
November 11, 2012, 6:16 am
Thanks but this is my first tracfone, I'm a real newbie. My 15 days are up on the 14th. I'm hoping the HSN
phone will come in time but it's tight timing. Maybe I should just buy an ultra cheap tf to transfer minutes
onto just in case..?
You may be lucky and won't need to buy a cheap phone.
HSN shows their delivery time to be 3 -7 days for regular delivery, so it looks like it should arrive in time.

Typical delivery estimates:

Standard delivery: 3-7 business days
Express delivery: 3 business days
Super Express delivery: 2 business days

Don't forget that Monday is Veteran's Day and there won't be any mail, so that may slow it down a day or two.

zspook
Member Avatar

I have read everything on this forum and did not see this question or answer...

If both wi-fi and 3g are available can you select / make the 840g use wi-fi ????

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms
Should be a convenience store not a government agency!!

ciliegia

phoenix1
November 11, 2012, 8:59 am
CPW
Quote:

Thanks but this is my first tracfone, I'm a real newbie. My 15 days are up on the 14th. I'm hoping the HSN
phone will come in time but it's tight timing. Maybe I should just buy an ultra cheap tf to transfer minutes
onto just in case..?
You may be lucky and won't need to buy a cheap phone. HSN shows their delivery time to be 3 -7 days for
regular delivery, so it looks like it should arrive in time.

Don't forget that Monday is Veteran's Day and there won't be any mail, so that may slow it down a day or two.
It's for sale today, November 11.
The website is: http://www.hsn.com/electronics/lg-no-contract-touchscreen-3g-wi-fi-camera-smartphone
Just bought mine. Too good of a deal to pass up.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

phoenix1
November 11, 2012, 8:59 am
CPW
Quote:

onto just in case..?
You may be lucky and won't need to buy a cheap phone. HSN shows their delivery time to be 3 -7 days for
regular delivery, so it looks like it should arrive in time.

Hey CPW...I just realized the 14th is fast approaching so I guess it won't arrive on time.
The darn senior moments. ^o) The month is just going too fast...sorry for the confusion.

Kraut

Hi I have a problem with my google maps app I am able to get on the app but then it tells me to tap anywhere on the
map, but there is no map and I have the navigation buttons on my screen like it appears on the opera mini browser.

Thank you for any input.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

zspook
November 11, 2012, 9:43 am

If both wi-fi and 3g are available can you select / make the 840g use wi-fi ????

You can on Android phones. The LG 840G is not an android phone, but I presume these are features you turn on/off
selectively... I don't have the phone in-hand yet to verify, and I did not find the issue addressed in the User manual.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

zspook
November 11, 2012, 9:43 am

You can turn the wi-fi off and on if you want. I haven't hooked mine up yet, but will soon. According to what they're
saying on HSN, with the wi-fi on you can surf the web for free (without using your minutes).. Unfortunately at work
they're guarding the password with their kid's lives so no one can get online with their phones...they're so mean to us. :ermm:

Tess

I've gotten myself incredibly confused, I've read through pages and pages here, the information is wonderful,
but my head is swimming. (tracfone.com info rather generic and not so helpful, but you all already know that)
Please help me, I apologize for this being so long and I thank you in advance for your patience!

I recently switched from AT&T to Tracfone. I never use my phone. I work at home, and I am not interested in
being accessible 24/7. It really is for emergency purposes, or if I'm traveling and not near a landline.

I got the Samsung T330G TMFL bundle from HSN for $80 6 wks ago, and it came with 400 Triple Minutes, car
charger, case. Ported my number, so got another 100 minutes. Add the 10 they give you to set up the phone,
for a total of 1310 minutes. I have 1308.5 remaining. Then they give you 60 days or something, so I have 381
service days, until 11/27/13.

Still... this LG840 is very intriguing to me, because of Wifi. I could see using wifi, and it being rather helpful.
(And $80 for 1310 minutes is a good price, so I always considered the phone and accessories to be basically free)

Where my head swims:

Would I be able to transfer all (1308) of my minutes, or do they consider HSN minutes to be "promotional" and
therefore non-transferable?
Would the service end date of 11/27/13 stay the same, or be extended based on when I activate the new phone?
Or do the present minutes expire on 11/27/13, and anything added expire a year from when they are added?

If I do this, would I be best off with today's HSN bundle?
If I do get it through HSN, would I be best off waiting as long as possible to activate (you have until 1/31/13),
does that extend the time to use the minutes?

The Walmart here sells CDMA phones; I've had Verizon and AT&T and AT&T coverage is far better here.
We don't have Dollar General, and KMart is always iffy - they rarely have in stock what is in their sales brochure,
so hoping for the Black Friday sale isn't likely.

Any advice or suggestions? Thank you!!

(PS - and if I don't do this, does it make sense to get a second T330G for 8.99 through ebay, for the spare battery?)

josim

Just ordered 2 from HSN. This is about I spend annually with the family value plan. So, I get to upgrade to a
Wifi phone with a better touchscreen for free... Thank to all here for all your good info and reviews!

ciliegia

Tess
November 11, 2012, 5:12 pm
I've gotten myself incredibly confused, I've read through pages and pages here, the information is wonderful,
but my head is swimming. (tracfone.com info rather generic and not so helpful, but you all already know that)
Please help me, I apologize for this being so long and I thank you in advance for your patience!

I recently switched from AT&T to Tracfone. I never use my phone. I work at home, and I am not interested in
being accessible 24/7. It really is for emergency purposes, or if I'm traveling and not near a landline.

I got the Samsung T330G TMFL bundle from HSN for $80 6 wks ago, and it came with 400 Triple Minutes, car
charger, case. Ported my number, so got another 100 minutes. Add the 10 they give you to set up the phone,
for a total of 1310 minutes. I have 1308.5 remaining. Then they give you 60 days or something, so I have 381
service days, until 11/27/13.

Still... this LG840 is very intriguing to me, because of Wifi. I could see using wifi, and it being rather helpful.
(And $80 for 1310 minutes is a good price, so I always considered the phone and accessories to be basically free)

Where my head swims:

Would I be able to transfer all (1308) of my minutes, or do they consider HSN minutes to be "promotional" and
therefore non-transferable?
Would the service end date of 11/27/13 stay the same, or be extended based on when I activate the new phone?
Or do the present minutes expire on 11/27/13, and anything added expire a year from when they are added?

If I do this, would I be best off with today's HSN bundle?
If I do get it through HSN, would I be best off waiting as long as possible to activate (you have until 1/31/13),
does that extend the time to use the minutes?

The Walmart here sells CDMA phones; I've had Verizon and AT&T and AT&T coverage is far better here.
We don't have Dollar General, and KMart is always iffy - they rarely have in stock what is in their sales brochure,
so hoping for the Black Friday sale isn't likely.

Any advice or suggestions? Thank you!!

(PS - and if I don't do this, does it make sense to get a second T330G for 8.99 through ebay, for the spare battery?)
Let me see if I can answer some of your questions:

First, if you were to buy the LG 840g (or anything TF) from HSN or anyone else, the minutes come from TF,
therefore, you will not lose anything. Actually, you'll gain some, specifically, additional days for the new phone
and some additional minutes, also, from the new phone.

Second (which goes to my first statement), all TF phones allow for transfer of minutes from one phone to another;
it doesn't matter from whom you bought the phone.

My current account, for example, comes up for renewal in late December, but I'm purchasing the phone now.
I'll activate it closer to that date only because I want to play with it a while, specifically the wi-fi, before setting it
up for continual use.

Why do you want a spare battery for the T330g?
BTW...how did you come up with $80 for 1310 minutes? Are you still talking about the T330g?

Tess

@ciliegia: Thank you!

There were so many things about "promotional" minutes that I thought it might be some loophole to avoid
transferring to another phone. I'm so glad to hear it isn't an issue.

The $80 for the 1310 minutes - I paid $80 for the T330G HSN bundle, and so I'm rationalizing that I didn't
throw away the money if I don't use that phone.

Spare battery because my former phone (before the T330g) was a Samsung Rugby, and I needed to replace
the battery. At $8.99 for a whole phone, it is cheaper than a battery. But, if I just ended up with a lemon Rugby
battery, then I don't need it.

It seems like there isn't any downside to this that I can see, and maybe I'll actually use the phone! Thank you!

ciliegia

Tess
November 11, 2012, 6:00 pm
@ciliegia: Thank you!

There were so many things about "promotional" minutes that I thought it might be some loophole to avoid
transferring to another phone. I'm so glad to hear it isn't an issue.

The $80 for the 1310 minutes - I paid $80 for the T330G HSN bundle, and so I'm rationalizing that I didn't
throw away the money if I don't use that phone.

Spare battery because my former phone (before the T330g) was a Samsung Rugby, and I needed to replace
the battery. At $8.99 for a whole phone, it is cheaper than a battery. But, if I just ended up with a lemon Rugby
battery, then I don't need it.

It seems like there isn't any downside to this that I can see, and maybe I'll actually use the phone! Thank you!
As to the battery issue...on my Motorola 376g and then on my LG 800g, I had problems w/ the battery.. I think I found
out within a month. Long and short...I contacted TF and they sent me a new battery, priority mail, at no expense to me.

At the same time, I had discontinued the 376g and my husband had lost his 2xx something.. I called TF to re-start the
376g, months after having closed it out, so that he'd have a phone. They told me that the sim card was no longer valid
and then sent me, again gratis, a new sim card.

The only problem I have ever had w/TF is, as many will tell you, their Customer Service... Although many times they
claim that the calls are going to Miami, the accent I'm hearing is not from that area but somewhere in the Philippines.
They also have CS on Facebook and they're very helpful.

i24u

Ok, thinking of getting this phone but still have a few questions?

1. Does it have voice activation calling? Meaning, can I use a Bluetooth headset to make calls?

2. When on the internet, will it tell you your on wifi or do you have to access it a different way?
-- Say I go to the facebook app, will it tell me wifi is connected or not?

3. What kind of keyboard is it for browsing the internet? Qwerty?
-- Seems like it would be a pain to type in web address if it's not.

ciliegia

i24u
November 11, 2012, 8:39 pm

1. Does it have voice activation calling? Meaning, can I use a Bluetooth headset to make calls?

2. When on the internet, will it tell you your on wifi or do you have to access it a different way?

There's only one question I can answer here: voice command. No, the phone doesn't have it. However, if you're
talking about voice command to be used in your car w/bluetooth, that's a function of your car's bt. If you're talking
about a BT headset, that, again, would depend on the set. I know that my car has BT and I just vocalize the call.

However, my husband's car doesn't have it...so we have a portable BT speaker... With that unit, I have to dial the
number (while in BT) and then speak. I believe, from what I have read, there's a virtual qwerty, similar to the one I
have w/ the lg 800g.

zspook
Member Avatar

Thanks for the inputs... I just ordered one of the HSN specials... I should have some inputs next week..

i24u

ciliegia
November 11, 2012, 8:51 pm
i24u
November 11, 2012, 8:39 pm

There's only one question I can answer here: voice command. No, the phone doesn't have it. However, if you're
talking about voice command to be used in your car w/bluetooth, that's a function of your car's bt. If you're talking
about a BT headset, that, again, would depend on the set. I know that my car has BT and I just vocalize the call.

However, my husband's car doesn't have it...so we have a portable BT speaker... With that unit, I have to dial the
number (while in BT) and then speak. I believe, from what I have read, there's a virtual qwerty, similar to the one I
have w/ the lg 800g.
So if I were to get a Bluetooth headset with the unit I would be able to tell it to call someone and it would work that way?

Tarkio101

To answer someone's question about wifi/3G. When you want to connect to wifi, you will turn on wifi and scan
for available networks. A list will come up. Select one. If it is an open public wifi like Starbucks, there will not be
a password. If it your own network at home, you will enter your password and connect. A Wifi symbol will have
appeared in the upper left of the screen.

I leave my Wifi on all of the time and chose for it to connect to the networks I use most automatically when it
detects them. I just make sure the wifi symbol is visible and then open the browser and use.

Now, if you haven't been using Wifi for a while, it will "time out" and not stay connected to save battery. When the
screen saver goes black, the wifi also suspends to save battery. When you "wake the phone up" give it a second
to reconnect to wifi and look for the symbol before connecting if you have it set to connect automatically.

When you do not have it set automatically, you will need to select a network and connect from scratch each time.

If you do not have wifi turned on and connected you will be using 3g. It will give you a prompt and a tone will ring
letting you know you are connected to 3g. This does not appear during Wifi. Once it in a while I have opened 3G
by mistake and just closed it out. It only used a tiny fraction of a minute worth of data, like .003 of a minute. The old
way of billing data would have at least charged a full minute. So, while the new 3G data rates seem to be more,
when opening the browser accidentally in 3g, it is definitely less.

I hope this explanation made some sense. If you have another question, let me know and I'll try to answer.
Keep in mind, if you have the phone in hand, it's a lot easier to understand.

Tarkio101

And yes, when browsing, you can use the full keyboard in landscape mode.

The keyboard even had preset buttons for www. and .com to save you a few steps.

i24u

Just one last question then...

When you go to the facebook/twitter app do you have to open wifi first or will it ask you how you want to connect?

Tarkio101

You will need to open wifi first. In other words, when you open and app to use it, it will not stop and ask you which
method you want to use... If you want wifi, open wifi first. Otherwise, 3g is the default.

i24u

Tarkio101
November 11, 2012, 9:53 pm
You will need to open wifi first. In other words, when you open and app to use it, it will not stop and ask you which
method you want to use... If you want wifi, open wifi first. Otherwise, 3g is the default.
Ok, just wanted to make sure before I pulled the trigger that I can get on facebook in wifi mode.
Most places have wifi. Republicwireless just isn't there yet for me, so I'll tracfone it for another year. :)

Tarkio101

Yeah, I had big hopes in republic too, but they've been pretty slow rolling out, have only one pretty expensive,
mediocre phone, and I'm not even sure they will be around in a year... MNVO's come and go all the time.

i24u

Tarkio101
November 11, 2012, 10:09 pm
Yeah, I had big hopes in republic too, but they've been pretty slow rolling out, have only one pretty expensive,
mediocre phone, and I'm not even sure they will be around in a year... MNVO's come and go all the time.
Yeah, by the time you spend $249 for the phone, then $20 a month for one year, that's another $240 so you end up
paying $489 which comes to about $40 a month. You can get something like cricket for that price with a free phone.
However contract. :(

Tarkio101

tracfone2004
November 8, 2012, 3:07 pm
I have asked this question a week or so ago and did not get an answer. How well does this phone work on
Facebook.. Can you take a photo with the LG 840g and post it to facebook adding a comment to the photo?
Thanks.
I was watching the HSN presentation and they showed that when you are in Facebook, you can open the camera
while you are in the app, take a picture and post it directly. You can also post pictures that are stored in the phone.
But I thought that was a nice feature for this phone, to be able to open the camera from Facebook, take the picture
you want, and post it automatically.

josim

I have a question while I am waiting for our phones to arrive.

Does the mapping/GPS function require wifi or 3G/2G, or is this a stand alone app with a true GPS receiver within
the phone? .. Wouldn't want to be driving down the road burning Tracfone minutes... Anyone have an answer?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

josim
November 12, 2012, 4:44 pm
I have a question while I am waiting for our phones to arrive.

Does the mapping/GPS function require wifi or 3G/2G, or is this a stand alone app with a true GPS receiver within
the phone? .. Wouldn't want to be driving down the road burning Tracfone minutes... Anyone have an answer?
That will be interesting -- to see if it that is an HSN ad error, or it really works, and how.

None of the specs list this phone as having a user-accessible GPS, so I would suspect that for a map app to work it
would have to use tower pings to triangulate a pseudo-location. If that is true, then it would have to use 3G or voice,
which would cost you minutes. I don't think this would be accurate enough to get driving instructions.

I had a similar issue with the LG Optimus Net, which does have embedded GPS, and is an Android smart phone.
I couldn't get the GPS mapping app to work right with 3G turned off.

Stay tuned as we check it out when we have the phone in hand.

cpw
Member Avatar
cpw
Tarkio101
November 11, 2012, 6:27 am
I wouldn't risk losing the 60 bucks. The new phone won't be to you by the 14th most likely. It probably won't even
ship until Monday. Since you can get cheap tracfones for 10 bucks at places like Family Dollar, Dollar General etc,
(maybe Walmart?), personally, I would buy one and transfer the minutes to it. The ten bucks is nothing compared
to losing your minutes or not being able to return the one you have now. And, you'll have a back up phone.

I have a backup phone like that. Once in a great while if I get an awesome promo code that gives tons of free minutes,
I'll add some to the alternate phone since the promo codes can often only be used on a phone one time. I just use
those minutes if I need to make a long call, call an 800 number, wait on hold for the dr office etc. I also like to have
an alternate phone # to give out, but that's just me.

Being new to tracfone, you're in the right place. I'd say almost all of people posting on here are correct about 99% of
the time... This is a great forum to pick up tips that are actually useful IMO.
Thanks Tarkio101 and DoctorM for the advice. I went to DG and bought a $8 T105g and successfully transferred
my minutes and days to save them. Now if I can only figure out how to transfer the 3 ringtones I purchased... is it
possible?

BTW DoctorM, I was able to transfer the minutes on the TF website without a problem. Maybe it will work better for
you next time you try it, could have been a glitch on the website the first time... Good luck! :D

Tech
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
November 11, 2012, 9:42 pm
And yes, when browsing, you can use the full keyboard in landscape mode.
The keyboard even had preset buttons for www. and .com to save you a few steps.
There is no full keyboard for actual browsing... If you go to Google and type in a search, Can you use a qwerty full
keyboard on your phone? I don't think so, Tark101. Which, btw, is where one runs into the issues I found annoying
with the thing.

Plus, the way you seem to be doing it is flipping the thing back and forth and using the enter url way of doing it
which isn't really browsing at all. That's just typing in a specific .com or whatever and then going directly to it. In
fact, by doing it that way one can never delete the urls they have typed into the thing that way either. It stores them
forever apparently. If you actually browse using Google then it's different. You don't get a qwerty full keyboard at all
but hose entries you can delete of course through the cleanup of cache and cookies. Can't delete them doing it the
way you seem to be doing it. Also can use qwerty full with notepad and email app but nothing else.

Basically, the user is locked out of some features through notepad settings with no access to changing it's setup.
Tracs search box or "enter url" function uses notepad basically so I think therein lies the padlock as far as browsing
google with notepad or qwerty to be clear.

Unless yours does actually browse qwerty and I just have a lemon. I'm beginning to wonder why some of the things
others are saying can be done on this phone actually cannot be done on mine. Cracks my curiosity.

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
November 11, 2012, 3:05 am
I was going to go for the K-Mart $30 deal. But this HSN special appears to be the best deal, all things considered.
So I ordered one (with a red back, which should be cool looking). They also have an extended return time, near 3
months (31 Jan 2013) for a full refund.

I also have a 32GB and a 16GB microSDHC cards already standing buy... So I'll confirm if a 32GB card works.
(The HSN special ad lists 4GB as the max.)
I haven't been able to get anything but a 4gb to work on it.Which kind of plucks me because the thing was advertised
to function up to 32gb... Of course then hsn says up to 4gb which is completely different than what was on the box at
Walmart when I got the thing. Something not very fair about doing that to people if it turns out that we actually cannot
use a 32 gig card. Or even a 16gig. telling them one thing and then they get something completely different than what
was advertised.

Doc, definitely update on what you find out about that. I've got this phone with a few thousand minutes and an
expiration date of 2020 so will have it around for a while. Just want to make sure it's not a lemon.

One of the other posters...andy, I think said he tried a 16gb and it worked fine. He only has 1 post though and that
was it. So...yeah.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ Tech.
I hope there will be several people trying out microSD cards of various capacities and speed classes so we can
get some confidence on whether it is an inherent phone limitation, or other issue.

There could be problems with the microSD card itself, such as speed class, how it was formatted, where it was
formatted, the software in the phone, a damaged card, or the published specs or ad was just wrong, etc,

Other cell phones have touted 32GB capacity, only to lower the capacity later (Moto EX124G comes to mind).

Even my PC's built in SD card reader wouldn't recognize, much less read, either my 16GB or 32GB microSD cards.
But when I put them in an SD adapter, and that into a USB adapter, the PC recognized them and read them with no
problem. Probably some problem with the built-in reader, maybe dust or corroded contacts.

One thing you might try is cleaning your microSD card's contacts with alcohol to insure there is no corrosion (you
can't always tell just by looking.) Also check in your PC and possibly reformatting it, and reformatting it in different
devices, if you have any.. There was a post a few weeks ago or so someone posted about having a problem with
formatting, and finally got the microSD formatted in another phone and then it worked ok.

I'm eager to have the phone in hand and try it out.

Tarkio101

Perhaps I wasn't understanding what he meant.

I will need to wait for my hsn phone to get to me to test it since I returned my first 840g already.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I moved Jmozza's question here to where it officially belongs -- maybe someone can answer it -- thanks.

Jmozza:
November 13 2012
What system does LG 840g run on? - Is this really a smart phone? - Where and what kind of apps can you use?

Purchased 2 of these phones on hsn sat night 11-10-12 for 99 each 1400 mins + triple mins, car charger, blue-
tooth headset, phone cover... Seemed like a good deal, just hope I can download apps... New to Tracfone.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Turk
November 14, 2012, 12:54 am
* I moved Jmozza's question here to where it officially belongs -- maybe someone can answer it -- thanks.
Jmozza:
November 13 2012
What system does LG 840g run on? - Is this really a smart phone? - Where and what kind of apps can you use?

Purchased 2 of these phones on hsn sat night 11-10-12 for 99 each 1400 mins + triple mins, car charger, blue-
tooth headset, phone cover... Seemed like a good deal, just hope I can download apps... New to Tracfone.
TracFone (as opposed to Net10 or Straight Talk) doesn't have any Android phones or smart phones. Its pay plan
(per minute) is most economical for minimal users who probably use the phone's other features as much or more
than to make calls.

As far as I know, the LG 840G's OS is an LG proprietary system. It is not an Android OS.
So it won't run any Android applications.

The LG 840G is a feature phone, not a smart phone. But it has a lot of fairly useful features (built-in applications.)
You can add JavaME apps, but the Java market is not as well developed as the Android market.

Tech
Member Avatar

Yeah, it's not really an operating system per se. Although it has some feel of an operating system of sorts.
I didn't jot it down because I knew what Doc had already posted above to be true, but if you want you can
read through the documentation on the lg electronics driver when it pops up after the initial plugging in of
the phone.

If you don't immediately install it, and simply go through and click on some of the information links in the
popup before installing you'll see some data and description of the "operating system". Doc's right though.
Just proprietry mumbo jumbo.

One piece of advice I'll share is to not install the driver. You don't need it. all you need is the mms storage
driver for the memory card which it will install if the card is installed... If you plug in the device without the
card it will first install the lg electronics modem driver...again, you don't really need it.

If you actually do install that particular driver, then you'll find that the device keeps adding a copy or similar
folder for every other folder you have on your card. For exaple you will have two folders for vids, two for pics,
two for others and whatnot.

Of course the documentation states that if you justcopy all of your junk onto the card and not in any particular
order then it will manage allocating those files into the folders as it thinksd it should. So, maybe that's what's
up with the double folders. I don't know.

They name the pictures folder as "images" instead of "pictures" or "photos" but there is some screwy difference
in the file system of the device itself and the card. For example, the device actually does name it's folders "pictures"
instead of "images". So vice versa in that regard. Screwy...

I didn't try to just put all of my junk on the card without being in folders to see how the phone manages allocation
of the files so....maybe a project for someone if they want to try it.

I found that if I didn't install the lg modem driver then I didn't have the issue and the card and phone match as
far as folders go and maintain only a audio,pictures, video and other files group of folders. And of course, the
LG System and Games and applications folder which is read only... You cannot see these two from within the
phone but only when you have it plugged into the pc.

Edit:
Actually, I did install the LG Electronics modem driver initially. That's how I found out about the double folder
thingamabob. I uninstalled the modem driver afterward and don't have the "problem" anymore. don't know if
it's actually a problem per se, but just didn't feel like messing with it... I'm kind of picky with the old a place for
everything and everything in it's place gag.

josim

DoctorM,

Thanks for your response to my GPS/mapping question. I am expecting to find your description to be correct.
Was hoping for more however. :(

Yalda

INFO QUESTION:

IF I find a great deal on the LG 840g online...and TracFone does NOT have it listed under my Zip code...
can I still register and use it with TracFone - with the Triple minutes?

Also, I saw some comments about paying $20 to use the WIFI...can someone please EXPLAIN this to me?
I'm not at all familiar with this ... or really WHAT IT MEANS to have/use the WIFI ... HOW is it different from
going online without WIFI?

Thank you.

3 users reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.