Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: ... Are you crazy! ... Are you insane! ... Are you going Black Friday shopping this week?!
Yes! / I am crazy! / Can't wait!
No way! / Forget that! / Never!
Poll Maker
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up here -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have total access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) LG 840g Phone Topic
Topic Started: September 23, 2012, 11:41 pm (186,245 Views)
Tech
Member Avatar

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts or questions on this phone, feel free to post it all here ... thanks.

* Tracfone LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?
* Net10 LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?
------------------------
BobbyLee
October 21, 2012, 4:10 pm
Tech,
Does the 840G suffer the "Insufficient Memory" warnings when you use the native browser and visit normal web
sites with pages bigger than 300K? That was the main reason folks sought out alternate browsers on these phones
in the past, to prevent getting the "Insufficient Memory" warnings followed by the native browser crashing/closing.

I agree that screen lock on the LG 800G sucks. At least using the Power/Unlock button to instantaneously unlock it
instead of the screen unlock button (that you press until it decides to unlock it) helped make it a 'little' more tolerable.

You might give UC Browser a shot, it's faster than Opera Mini though not as nice/finished in my opinion.
It's a Chinese browser just FYI.
Not so far. I've been using it to go to regular web sites. Pretty fast too.
I was thinking about qq and uc but kind the trac browser is actually pretty darn good.
None of that unlocking stuff on the lg840g though. It's actually very functional and user friendly.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tech
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
October 21, 2012, 1:08 pm
Hey Tech, have you played videos from Youtube or something similar while on WIFI? ... Does it play OK?
Actually, yes. I just watched a live streaming youtube video. Just watched the Twilight Baseball scene.
So...works. Just not full screen...so far. Smooth running though.

zamie

I just bought the LG 840G and I am pleased with it so far... One issue I am having is finding a case/sleeve for it.

Does anyone know were to get one?

Thanks

Tarkio101

Curious why people keep pointing out that UC browser is Chinese? ... I am confused.

Tech
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
October 21, 2012, 8:29 pm
Curious why people keep pointing out that UC browser is Chinese? I am confused.
Pretty tight election under that two party illusion of choice type circus going on, I guess. Who knows.
TV's haven't been made in America in how long? Guess every lil bit of fear mongerering helps... :P

I'm just messin. I don't know why. I suppose there is a reason of sorts. Some folks are just particular maybe.

JJC

Is autolock disabled during voicemails? It is the biggest design flaw of the LG 800g and it made me regret buying it.

The LG 800g allowed you to disable auto lock but it always appeared during voicemail. The problem with voicemail
is you need to access the dial pad and the auto lock screen keeps popping up and getting in your way.

Also, can you use QWERTY for entering contacts with the LG 840G? The LG 800 did not have a QWERTY option for
contacts, calendar, default browser and tasks.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
Curious why people keep pointing out that UC browser is Chinese? ... I am confused.
Well, I like to point it out up front because I'm tired of answering lots of questions about it only to have the other
party lose interest when they find out it’s a Chinese product, saves me some work.

I guess having Chinese software running on your Chinese manufactured phone is just too much for some people.

Tech
Member Avatar

BobbyLee
October 21, 2012, 10:09 pm
Tarkio101
Well, I like to point it out up front because I'm tired of answering lots of questions about it only to have the other
party lose interest when they find out it’s a Chinese product, saves me some work.

I guess having Chinese software running on your Chinese manufactured phone is just too much for some people.
I tried the UC browser on this 840g but the Tracfone native browser has been the best so far.. The phone is simply
set up to use that browser and in a IPhone sort of UI. The tracfone native browser is also the only one I've tried that
actually does play youtube videos. Opera Mini and UC both do not support playing them.

One other thing is that the lg800g could display pictures from my digital camera without having to resize them before
putting them onto the phone.. The LG 840g will not display them. In fact it completely skips over them on a slideshow.
I tried to view them individually and the message given was "Unsupported Resolution". The youtube videos streamed
through the native browser are also just a small box in the middle of the screen instead of full screen with no option to
zoom or snap to fit. That kind of sux but at least you can play them.

Tech
Member Avatar

JJC
October 21, 2012, 9:41 pm
Is autolock disabled during voicemails? It is the biggest design flaw of the LG 800g and it made me regret buying it.

The LG 800g allowed you to disable auto lock but it always appeared during voicemail. The problem with voicemail
is you need to access the dial pad and the auto lock screen keeps popping up and getting in your way.

Also, can you use QWERTY for entering contacts with the LG 840G? The LG 800 did not have a QWERTY option for
No auto lock while calling voicemail. In fact, the keypad is on screen by default while you're checking messages
and you can also switch to speaker and mic or back to keypad. The phone also has a motion sensor. When you
hold it to your ear the screen goes black. When you move it away from your ear the keypad comes back on.
Happens in a split second either direction.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Tech
October 22, 2012, 2:30 am
JJC

No auto lock while calling voicemail. In fact, the keypad is on screen by default while you're checking messages
and you can also switch to speaker and mic or back to keypad. The phone also has a motion sensor. When you
hold it to your ear the screen goes black. When you move it away from your ear the keypad comes back on.
Sounds more like a PROXIMITY sensor, rather than a motion sensor. That's a nice feature found on many smart
phones. Glad to hear it's on the LG 840G.

Jon

Hi all ... This is my first post. Thanks everyone for all the valuable information provided in this forum.

I bought my LG 840g last night but have not activate yet. I hope someone can help me out with the following questions.

1. Am I right that when I see the wifi sign/logo on top of the screen, I am using my home wifi and not using Tracfone minutes/data?

2. Can I move the browser button to another page? currently on the 1st page.

3. When the phone is not active, the lock screen comes up and I need to slide up.
Will I accidentally activate the call icon or browser icon (while in my jeans pocket) or this lock screen is secure?

Thanks for the help.......... jon

Tarkio101

Tech
October 21, 2012, 4:40 pm
Tarkio101
Hey Tech, have you played videos from Youtube or something similar while on WIFI? ... Does it play OK?
Actually, yes. I just watched a live streaming youtube video. Just watched the Twilight Baseball scene.
Thanks for the answer!
That was a big, big question for me... You helped me out a lot in deciding whether I want the phone or not.
That was the only question I had left hanging in the air. Now, not sure whether to look in stores to see if they
have it yet or wait and see when/if HSN comes out with a deal on it.

Tech
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
October 22, 2012, 9:03 am
Tech
October 21, 2012, 4:40 pm
Tarkio101
Thanks for the answer!
That was a big, big question for me... You helped me out a lot in deciding whether I want the phone or not.
That was the only question I had left hanging in the air. Now, not sure whether to look in stores to see if they
have it yet or wait and see when/if HSN comes out with a deal on it.
Yep. no problem... As far as I can tell though after trying opera mini and uc browsers, tracfone browser is the only
one that lets you watch youtube.

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
October 22, 2012, 4:59 am
Tech
October 22, 2012, 2:30 am
JJC

Sounds more like a PROXIMITY sensor, rather than a motion sensor. That's a nice feature found on many smart
phones. Glad to hear it's on the LG 840G.
I didn't know what the heck was going on. Took me a couple of double takes of repeating the motion to the ear
and back down again before I figured out what was happening... Is a good feature though now that I know that
it's actually a feature.

Proximity sensor sounds better and makes sense. It's very responsive.

When it first happened I swear it was the first time I've ever said "the fugizat?". True story. I thought the phone
was messed up.

Tech
Member Avatar

Jon
October 22, 2012, 8:22 am
Hi all ... This is my first post. Thanks everyone for all the valuable information provided in this forum.

I bought my LG 840g last night but have not activate yet. I hope someone can help me out with the following questions.

1. Am I right that when I see the wifi sign/logo on top of the screen, I am using my home wifi and not using Tracfone minutes/data?

2. Can I move the browser button to another page? currently on the 1st page.

3. When the phone is not active, the lock screen comes up and I need to slide up.
Will I accidentally activate the call icon or browser icon (while in my jeans pocket) or this lock screen is secure?

Thanks for the help......... jon
Don't really even need the lock screen. I have mine disabled with a 60 second backlight. it goes blank on it's own
and wifi goes to sleep if you decide to keep it on.

You can browse freely with a host of regular options. New page, new bookmark, browse bookmarks and whatnot.
Once the screen goes off you have to tap the power button on top of the phone for it to respond so no danger of an
accidental click or anything.

I have not even charged this phone yet besides the initial charge when I got it and have been testing it extensively.
Still have full power so don't believe that wifi sucks down the battery if'n you read it elsewhere. It doesn't.

tracfonecruiser

Everything sounds good for the internet features on the phone. I don't see any posts about the most important thing:
How is it for phone reception? Does the voice quality sound good, can you hear well. When you are in a fringe area,
does it still receive the signal well, or does it drop signals (the reason I want to drop the ex124g).

The most important feature to me is reliability. I sincerely look forward to hearing about your experience in this area.

Tech
Member Avatar

tracfonecruiser
October 22, 2012, 9:01 pm
Everything sounds good for the internet features on the phone. I don't see any posts about the most important
thing: How is it for phone reception? Does the voice quality sound good, can you hear well. When you are in a
fringe area, does it still receive the signal well, or does it drop signals (the reason I want to drop the ex124g).

The most important feature to me is reliability. I sincerely look forward to hearing about your experience in this area.
It's the best reception and call quality of any tracfone that I've owned.. Closed up the house in our beach front
community off of the Chesapeake Bay today where all of the "smartfone" group usually have to go to a certain
spot over by the weedswith all of the mosquitoes to get a single bar and I had almost a full signal while cruising
around on the golf cart throughout the entire complex.

Made a couple of calls while doing so and it was clear as a whistle with great reception. It's always been that
way down there. Even when I was using the w376g I was the only one with a good signal and reception.

To add to that there is also an extra collapsible touch menu on the transparent top bar on the top of the screen
(accessible on all 3 main screens) which retracts after selection. It's used for quick access to Wifi & it's settings
for on & off as well as available connections, music player, ring settings, bluetooth settings and alarm. I like this
since I can use my main screens for other things. So you have three screens and a touch menu along with the
three screens of stuff in the settings menu.

Haven't figured out if the collapsible touch menu on top is customizable or not, but even if it isn't it still works great
for saving space on the screen with all of your shortcuts.

Anyhoo. Great call quality and reception on this phone.

Tech
Member Avatar

JJC
Also, can you use QWERTY for entering contacts with the LG 840G?
The LG 800 did not have a QWERTY option for contacts, calendar, default browser and tasks.
Yes. Can add contacts with qwerty keyboard.

Tarkio101

On the 800g, I just used a stylus and handwriting mode to enter data like contacts. The handwriting input was uber
accurate and virtually never missed what I had written... It was way better and faster than any qwerty I have used.
I haven't checked to see if the 840g has this feature yet.

Tech
Member Avatar

So, I got all of my video converted from my digital camera along with some others and onto this LG 840g.
It's like I'm watching my big screen HD tv except on the phone. This phone has excellent display.

I also converted this one (watch in full screen HD to see the detail and color that this phone's video player handles)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxDOpAM2FrQ&list=UUR9sFzaG9Ia_kXJhfxtFMBA&index=9&feature=plcp just
because I wanted to see how it did with a 1080 and 720 converted to 320x240 with all of the intricate detail and color
with stereo sound. Needleess to say it did great. Crystal clear playback with great sound.

I think I've managed to convert 14 hours of video and put it on the memory card along with around 50 songs or so
and a couple folders of pictures from my computer.

Not bad for only a 4gb memory card. Tracs web browser works great as far as letting you download downloadable
material from web sites that it navigate. Saves right to the native folders on the card or phone. Works....

No copyright infringement by converting that video in the link, btw.

The Symphony of Science is a musical project of John D Boswell, designed to deliver scientific knowledge and
philosophy in musical form. The project owes its existence in large measure to the classic PBS Series Cosmos,
by Carl Sagan, Ann Druyan, and Steve Soter, as well as all the other featured figures and visuals. Continuation
of the videos relies on generous support from fans and followers. You can make a donation if you wish to
contribute support to the project. Thanks to everybody who has donated - enjoy what you find!

http://symphonyofscience.com/index.html

I'll not hog the thread anymore, folks. Just wanted to share what I've found on the phone so hopefully it will help
in deciding on it.

Peace.

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
The 840G is now listed on walmart.com, but is out of stock on line.

You can also search for a store that carries it from the page below...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/TracFone-LG840G-Cell-Phone/21997714

JJC

The 840G is not supported in my zipcode according to walmart online... I guess it is still too early for release?

annepani

JJC
October 24, 2012, 7:00 pm
The 840G is not supported in my zipcode according to walmart online... I guess it is still too early for release?
Don't believe it. Walmart.com says that for me too and there are plenty of them on the shelves in all the Walmarts around me.

What did walmart.com say about what walmarts near you have it in stock? That is the important thing.

JJC

Yes it does show it in limited stock at a few walmarts near my area.

Also from pictures I've seen it appears that a 2gb micro SD card is included in the packaging. Is this true?

annepani

Yes. It comes with a 2GB starter card... It is capable of a much larger card. I think 16GB or 32GB.

tracfone2004

I found this phone in Walmart here in Western Ct. and I purchased it for $59.88. I want to know if posting a photo
taken with the phone along with a description on Facebook is possible with the native browser. I now use the LG
800g and never had any luck doing it with this phone. And I guessing from what I read here that there sound quality
and reception are better then the lg800g. Depending on the answers I get here will determine whether I keep the
phone or not. I also read a few months ago that TF might be coming out with a Android phone. Anyone here know
anything about that.

annepani

tracfone2004
October 25, 2012, 4:02 pm
I also read a few months ago that TF might be coming out with a Android phone. Anyone here know anything about that.
It's just a dream. Don't hold out any hope for it.

tracfone2004

I have seen a few articles on this, but none since August.

Maybe it's a Net10 or Straight Talk phone, but all the articles seem to say Tracfone.

http://www.phonescoop.com/carriers/news.php?c=17

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
Tracfone is the parent company of Straight Talk, Net10, Safelink and now Simple Mobile. Most press release
will mention Tracfone because that's what all the other brands run under... "A Service of Tracfone Wireless"

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Hi tracfone2004,

The LG Optimus Zip, also known as the LG L75C, is a Straight Talk phone which has been on Wal-Mart shelves
for several months now. I have seen it in my local Wal-Mart, and I have seen several posts by folks who seem to
prefer the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim to the LG Optimus Zip, although I don't know why. . . . In fact, if you check the
Straight Talk Forum here, you will find a topic devoted to the LG Optimus Zip. The last post to the thread was made
on August 6th, 2012.

In any event, and as I see Sweeper just posted, what is throwing you when you read these phone reports from the
various new agencies is that the reporting never makes clear whether the news pertains to TRACFONE Wireless,
the parent company, or to Tracfone, the division of TRACFONE Wireless... A lot of us have also encountered this
confusion. But, it is usually safe to assume that when Tracfone and the word, "Android," are mentioned in the same
sentence, the mentioned TRACFONE is the parent company of the phone divisions known as Tracfone, Net10,
Safelink, Straight Talk, etc.

At the same time, I read an article a few weeks ago in which the reporter indicated that when TRACFONE Wireless,
the parent company, brings an Android phone to market, that like other carriers, such as Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile,
etc., it has to pay the manufacturer of the Android phone a subsidy. In order to made that subsidy back, TRACFONE
Wireless, the parent company, then needs to tie the Android phone to unlimited monthly plans in order for it to recoup
the subsidy which it paid to the phone manufacturer. Thus, the reporter felt that Tracfone, the division of TRACFONE
Wireless, would probably never offer an Android phone because, he felt, there is no way with Tracfone's current
pricing structure (via Minutes Cards) that it could recoup the subsidy that it would have to pay an Android phone
manufacturer for its phones.

So, as annepani noted above, it's undoubtedly just a dream to think that an Android phone will turn up on Tracfone,
the division of TRACFONE Wireless.

ShadowDancer :)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tarkio101

I just tired got of waiting/hoping that HSN will run a special on this phone. I reluctantly went and bought it out in
retail. However, it was not on the shelves with other Tracfones. So if you don't see it, ask at the counter.
That's where they were keeping mine--in the case under the counter.

I have only been using it for a few hours, so can't do full review yet. However, I do have this to say -- the screen
is quite a bigger than the 800g. Holding them up next to each other was a shock. I knew the 800g was 2.8 inches
and the 840g is 3.2 inches, but it is another thing to see them side by side.

Another thing, the touch screen is very, very nice. Nothing like the 800g at all. The touchscreen is very sensitive
and very accurate. Basically, it's like any high quality touchscreen smart phone. It takes virtually no pressure at
all to hit an icon. And to make the point another way--the Lg 840g has a capacative touchscreen while the 800g
has a resistive type. It isn't just that the 840g works better, it's an entirely different type of technology. Yep folks,
the 840g has the good kind, like the really expensive phones have:)

I don't have the phone activated yet, but I have been using it online on wifi. I didn't have to activate it first to connect
to Wifi... I haven't tried to download any apps or anything, but just surfing around works with it unactivated on Wifi.
And while I haven't gone to some of my favorite websites yet or tested it extensively, it does seem to be very very fast.
I did go to NBC news mobile site that is provided thru a link in the tracfone browser and the video link did not work.
I had hoped things like a video link would function properly, but on my first 2 attempts it gave me an error message.
I'll keep testing tho.

A few other things. You can use the qwerty keyboard to enter contacts... Someone had asked about that at some
point I think. One thing the 840g doesn't have is the hand writing mode. However, the qwerty keyboard is SO good
that I won't miss it. I preferred handwriting mode to the bad keyboard on the 800g, but this keyboard is a pleasure
to use. Very accurate. I can type quickly on it. In other words, its basically like any really good android touchscreen
or the I Guy has.

LG has really done a bang up job on the 840g from what I can tell so far. For those of you who have the 800g, this
new phone will blow you away. On one hand, everything is very similar in the layout, the icons, the menus etc. But
actually using the phone is totally new. It really is just that much better. And I have had several quite nice androids
from Samsung and others before I came to Tracfone. I will have time this weekend to mess with it and really test it
out, so I will be back with more in a couple of days.

Tarkio101

Ok, I've had the phone a couple of days now and have it activated. I activated online and it took just a few minutes.
I have not transferred my number from my old phone yet.

This phone is still impressing me. I haven't really found anything I don't like yet. It feels so solid in my hand, like it's
a very good quality device... The view on the screen is nice, but the material itself feels very solid and well made.
I also like that the 3 buttons at the bottom of the phone are under the glass, and not physical buttons that stick out
like on the 800g.

I've had no luck getting youtube to play full screen. It's not a high priority for me, but I'll still tinker around with it and
see if anything helps.. I installed Opera mini, but cannot remember how to remove the Opera keypad buttons from
the screen. Anyone know? On my 800g I was able to do it, but cannot remember how lol... I also had the keyboard
working in landscape mode when surfing with Opera. If someone knows, please refresh me.

Wifi seems to keep a solid signal all of time. The number of "bars" it shows does change if I get really close to the
source, or completely out of range. But it tends to show on the middle bar almost all of time... I don't notice that is
disconnects or has a long lag after not being connected for a while like some devices do.

Also, now that I have the phone in hand, if anyone has any questions, shoot. I'll do my best to answer them.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
October 27, 2012, 8:01 pm
I installed Opera mini, but cannot remember how to remove the Opera keypad buttons from the screen.
Anyone know? On my 800g I was able to do it, but cannot remember how lol... I also had the keyboard
working in landscape mode when surfing with Opera. If someone knows, please refresh me.
Well, I don't have the 840G but on the LG 800G you went to the Games & Apps directory where it shows all the
apps/games, and if you hit the Menu button on that page one of the options was to Show Keypad. If you select
the Show Keypad the next screen let you check or uncheck the apps you wanted to use the keypad with. Hope
that helps a little.

Tarkio101

You know whats funny Bobby Lee, it took me a long time to figure that out on the 800g. And apparently, once I did,
I forgot how. I even went back and searched some old forums because I can remember telling someone else how
to do it.

Unfortunately, on the 840g the menus are different and that option is not there. I almost feel like there has a be an
option somewhere, but I guess I'll just have to keep tapping around to try and find it if it's really there somewhere.

The good news, the Tracfone browser really isn't too bad. It's a much better experience than on the LG 800g.
Not perfect, but it is tolerable.

Tech
Member Avatar

It's a little concerning that one cannot search from startpage.com/m from this tracfone browser. In fact you cannot get
a secure connection at all. There's no way I'm going to use a browser that isn't secure. I know it's a capable device
because when i attempt to use www.startpage.com/m the padlock on the tracfone browser comes on and it stalls
for a bit before giving the error stating that it cannot communicate. So, I don't think there is a legitimate reason why
one cannot access secure web search engine when it's apparent that the tracfone browser is capable of it. It seems
more like they specifically and purposefully block one from choosing to use what search engine that they want to use
if it's a secure web search engine that does not conform to the practices of the likes of those search engines that
tracfone does let do searches...insecurely, i might add...and purposefully.

That's absurd. They did such a great job (LG) on the ui for the browser itself but tracs browser and the crippling of
it really ruins this phone for me. I won't use any of those search engines that are "allowed" to access the web by
tracfone on this device simply because I don't agree with the terms and services of these companies in general.

I wonder about the email client now too. How secure is that connection? Wanna guess?

We shouldn't be limited in a manner that doesn't allow one to use the search engine of their choice.

After checking, the only thing on the tracfone TRACFONE WIRELESS TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
that is specifically is in CAPS is this little gem...."WE DO NOT GUARANTEE THAT YOUR COMMUNICATIONS
WILL BE PRIVATE OR SECURE; IT IS ILLEGAL FOR UNAUTHORIZED PEOPLE TO INTERCEPT YOUR
COMMUNICATIONS, BUT SUCH INTERCEPTIONS CAN OCCUR."

So, it's not like they don't exactly know that they are doing this, I assume. If they accept that it's ..."acceptable"...
to not be guaranteed a secure connection and then go out of their way to specifically block access to a search
engine with a secure search query feature then whose side are they really on here? The customer or the third
party herding the sheep to go "googling"? In fact, this makes them part of the problem.

And, no, you cannot get rid of the keypad on the opera min browser. Or any other app that I've tried for that matter.
I mentioned that already.

Have you tapped the bookmarks icon on the bottom of the browser? (The Star icon?) Then tap the first thing on the
list? "Mobile Web". Constant error message saying that "the requested host was not found" when I try to access it.

muddy211

Tech,

what you just posted is a little disconcerting... so the browser is wide open? no SSL, no encryption?
what if checking email? paypal? banking etc??? It's all wide open?
WOW, that does worry me....thanks for the heads up...Im checking further now!!!

muddy211.

Tarkio101

When I check my pop3 email, it shows the padlock that it is secure. I don't have any indication that that isn't true.

However, as improved as the Tracfone browser is in some ways, it also seems to have taken a few steps back.
The bookmarks are indeed difficult to actually use... It just takes a lot of tapping around, and I can't always get
where I feel like I ought to be able to go.

If I can't download and use Opera or some similar browser and use it full screen, it's debatable whether I will want
to keep this phone. Its a shame, because this phone is very good, and very capable. Seems like a few small touches
are beginning to spoil it for me... I'll keep trying though, and see what kind of work arounds, tweaks, etc, come out.

As always, if anyone has things working better than I have them, please share ideas.

annepani

Tarkio101
October 28, 2012, 11:05 am
If I can't download and use Opera or some similar browser and use it full screen, it's debatable whether I will want
to keep this phone. Its a shame, because this phone is very good, and very capable. Seems like a few small touches
are beginning to spoil it for me... I'll keep trying though, and see what kind of work arounds, tweaks, etc, come out.
If you send this phone back, what phone do you think you will use in its place?

Tarkio101

annepani,

Probably just get a refurb or cheap android and find another prepaid plan that doesn't require a monthly plan.

JJC

What about UC Browser? ... http://www.ucweb.com/English/UCbrowser/download.html

Tarkio101

I have tried it too. But from what I can tell so far, there is no way to actually see another browser in landscape with
it full screen. Opera and UC open in about 60% of the screen with an annoying keyboard/direction pad thing on the
side. No one can figure out how to turn that other keypad off. On the 800g there is an option that is either not there,
or not in any obvious place, that allowed you to turn off that keyboard.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

Hi, it's my first time posting here. :)

I have the 800 and am seriously considering updating to the 840 once it becomes available at my local Wal-mart...
does anyone know if the screen is plastic or did they use a glass screen on this one?

Hopefully they'll have gel cases and screen protectors available soon.

Tech
Member Avatar

phoenix1
October 28, 2012, 12:59 pm
I have the 800 and am seriously considering updating to the 840 once it becomes available at my local Wal-mart...
does anyone know if the screen is plastic or did they use a glass screen on this one?

My son's old iphone 4 case works fine on this 840g. As do the screen protectors.. I just redrilled the hole on the
hard plastic case to work with the lens on the 840g and it's good...for me, at least. The case actually adds to the
function of the phone too. It just makes it more balanced in my hand. It's perfect, actually.

The screen is plastic but it's fine.

Tech
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
October 28, 2012, 12:48 pm
I have tried it too. But from what I can tell so far, there is no way to actually see another browser in landscape with
it full screen. Opera and UC open in about 60% of the screen with an annoying keyboard/direction pad thing on the
side. No one can figure out how to turn that other keypad off. On the 800g there is an option that is either not there,
or not in any obvious place, that allowed you to turn off that keyboard.
This phone's user interface is built for a single web browser. Unfortunately, it's the trac browser that gets to have the
luxury of using the ui. You can use other browsers as an app but the phone itself is set up for 1 browser as far as the
devices ui works. This is why you cannot get rid of the keypad on the opera app or any other app that I've tried so far.

Also, when you say you have a padlock when checking email, do you mean that you can see a padlock icon on the
top of the screen when you use the phones email app? Because I don't see one. All I get is the animated email icon
showing that it's downloading my mail.

Did you ever check that mobile web shortcut that I asked about to see if you got the same message?
I'm trying to figure out why java script isn't enabled. There is no way to enable it from what I can tell.

Tech
Member Avatar

muddy211
October 28, 2012, 9:20 am
Tech,
what you just posted is a little disconcerting... so the browser is wide open? no SSL, no encryption?
Still working on checking to see if this is actually the case or not. My main reason for the initial gripe was the
search engine itself more so than the connection. When I went to the startpage.com/m mobile site to see if I
could do a search and it just wouldn't allow it to do so. It would however let me do a google search.

The connection itself is really only as secure as the carrier allows. They can put a secure icon up all they want
but that doesn't mean it's secure. It's really only as secure as the carrier would want one to accept it to be based
upon their own understanding of how the mobile web really works.

The main reason that I use these tracfones is because I don't want my camera and mic spying on me to see what
kind of shirt I'm wearing so that the third party can lead me to searches based upon the Green Bay Packers or
whatever. I don't want apps turning on my mic and listening for key words to be used for marketing and lead me to
searches based upon what the third party decides is what I want to browse for.

The fact that I cannot use startpage.com/m leads me to believe that this trac browser was not built for the actual
mobile web and for the end user as much as it was built for third party advertising and sheeple shenanigans.

Of course, even if I decide to not use the trac browser at all because of this (probably the case) the phone itself is
still really good so it will be a glorified storage device for viewing pics and video and listening to music if that's yer
thing with the option to make a phone call or pass a SMS on once in a while.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

Tech
October 28, 2012, 1:08 pm
phoenix1
October 28, 2012, 12:59 pm

My son's old iphone 4 case works fine on this 840g. As do the screen protectors.. I just redrilled the hole on the
hard plastic case to work with the lens on the 840g and it's good...for me, at least. The case actually adds to the
function of the phone too. It just makes it more balanced in my hand. It's perfect, actually.

The screen is plastic but it's fine.
Thanks for the answer. I have a few screen savers from my LG 800g, they may be a bit small though, but I think they
would work temporarily. I only have the one gel case, so I guess I'll have to wait for someone to start selling them...
I'm sure that will be soon. :D

Tarkio101

Tech
October 28, 2012, 1:14 pm
Tarkio101
I have tried it too. But from what I can tell so far, there is no way to actually see another browser in landscape with it full screen. Opera and UC open in about 60% of the screen with an annoying keyboard/direction pad thing on the side. No one can figure out how to turn that other keypad off. On the 800g there is an option that is either not there, or not in any obvious place, that allowed you to turn off that keyboard.
This phone's user interface is built for a single web browser. Unfortunately, it's the trac browser that gets to have the luxury of using the ui. You can use other browsers as an app but the phone itself is set up for 1 browser as far as the devices ui works.This is why you cannot get rid of the keypad on the opera app or any other app that I've tried so far.

Also, when you say you have a padlock when checking email, do you mean that you can see a padlock icon on the top of the screen when you use the phones email app? Because I don't see one. All I get is the animated email icon showing that it's downloading my mail.

Did you ever check that mobile web shortcut that I asked about to see if you got the same message? I'm trying to figure out why java script isn't enabled. There is no way to enable it from what I can tell.
Tech, I see the padlock up on the address bar where it would normally be, on the left side of the address.. Although,
I am going to my email providers website directly. I don't have it set up through the email app in the phone. Perhaps
that makes a difference.

I have encountered the same issue with bookmarks not wanting to save and then be usable. I have bookmarks
working, but haven't messed with enough to be sure how.... Seems like once I get into a screen in the browser
(just by clicking on any of the provided links from the main screen, I have better luck hitting the star at the bottom
than I do trying to reach bookmarks from the main screen and going into the menu in the upper right where the
drop down menu contains a tab for bookmarks.

Another problem with the browser... The only way I can see to go back is to open a menu and scroll down to the
back tab. I wish there were just a little back arrow like all browsers have. It also won't stay in landscape and wants
to keep jumping to portrait.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
October 28, 2012, 1:26 am
You know whats funny Bobby Lee, it took me a long time to figure that out on the 800g. And apparently, once I
did, I forgot how... I even went back and searched some old forums because I can remember telling someone
else how to do it.
Funny, I'm pretty sure I learned that from the your post you've been looking for. :) Sorry it didn't help you with the
840G. The other option on the 800G was to remove the app and then reinstall it so the option to use or not use the
keypad would popup during the installation.

Tarkio101

It is kinda funny. But once you start going thru these menus, it all looks familiar.
I was laughing at myself, even though I was getting mad. lol

Not sure reinstalling will help. I don't think this had to do with installation of the app,
but rather the setting the phone is stuck on... I'll try anything tho. I have the time...

Tech
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
October 28, 2012, 2:40 pm
Tech
October 28, 2012, 1:14 pm
Tarkio101
I have tried it too. But from what I can tell so far, there is no way to actually see another browser in landscape with it full screen. Opera and UC open in about 60% of the screen with an annoying keyboard/direction pad thing on the side. No one can figure out how to turn that other keypad off. On the 800g there is an option that is either not there, or not in any obvious place, that allowed you to turn off that keyboard.
This phone's user interface is built for a single web browser. Unfortunately, it's the trac browser that gets to have the luxury of using the ui. You can use other browsers as an app but the phone itself is set up for 1 browser as far as the devices ui works.This is why you cannot get rid of the keypad on the opera app or any other app that i've tried so far.

Also, when you say you have a padlock when checking email, do you mean that you can see a padlock icon on the top of the screen when you use the phones email app? Because i don't see one. All i get is the animated email icon showing that it's downloading my mail.

Did you ever check that mobile web shortcut that i asked about to see if you got the same message? I'm trying to figure out why java script isn't enabled. There is no way to enable it from what I can tell.
Tech, I see the padlock up on the address bar where it would normally be, on the left side of the address. Although I am going to my email providers website directly. I don't have it set up through the email app in the phone. Perhaps that makes a difference.

I have encountered the same issue with bookmarks not wanting to save and then be usable. I have bookmarks working, but haven't messed with enough to be sure how. Seems like once I get into a screen in the browser (just by clicking on any of the provided links from the main screen, I have better luck hitting the star at the bottom than I do trying to reach bookmarks from the main screen and going into the menu in the upper right where the drop down menu contains a tab for bookmarks.

Another problem with the browser...The only way I can see to go back is to open a menu and scroll down to the back tab. I wish there were just a little back arrow like all browsers have. It also won't stay in landscape and wants to keep jumping to portrait.
Yep, that's the difference with the email app versus web mail. That answered my question though. Thanks.

You can use the middle button on the bottom of the phone itself to go back to previous web page while in portrait
mode on the browser. Obviously in landscape mode it has the back arrow there for you.

Bookmarks work great once you get used to them. i use the star too. Is quick.

When the phone is plugged in via usb there is a album art folder within the lg system folder that may perhaps be
where one may stor album art for viewing while listening to music but haven't figured out how to make it work.
Not high on my list but since it's there it technically should be useful and functional...one would think at least.

I'm going to call tracfone and ask why when I click on mobile web in the bookmarks of the browser why I get a
cannot find host error message though... That plucks me and is probably how my preferred search engine is
censored from functioning.

Tech
Member Avatar

BobbyLee
October 28, 2012, 3:32 pm
Tarkio101
October 28, 2012, 1:26 am
You know whats funny Bobby Lee, it took me a long time to figure that out on the 800g... And apparently,
once I did, I forgot how. I even went back and searched some old forums because I can remember telling
someone else how to do it.
Funny, I'm pretty sure I learned that from the your post you've been looking for. :) Sorry it didn't help you with
the 840G. The other option on the 800G was to remove the app and then reinstall it so the option to use or not
use the keypad would popup during the installation.
My opinion is that this phone looks way nicer without any wallpaper at all. I guess that's what you mean by
screensaver? I just made up a 320x240 white jpg and use it. Works....

I had one that was black with wooden bookself that the icons sat on nicely too but preferred the blank white.
At least you get transparent text that way with a white background for your icons.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
October 28, 2012, 11:45 am
Probably just get a refurb or cheap android and find another prepaid plan that doesn't require a monthly plan.
I'll trade you my Net10 LG Optimus Net Android smart phone for your LG 840G -- Even Steven.
Includes a cover, a 4GB microSD card, user manual, and I'll even throw in a new battery.

Tarkio101

Ok, I see where the back button is now, but it wasn't there on some sites for some reason.. And it's hard to keep it
in landscape mode. It keeps going back to portrait. And it's hard to enter a web address. Takes me back to portrait
and that awful keyboard every time, and then more buttons to get back to landscape.

If I could just get another browser working well, I'd be in love. :)

Tech
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
October 28, 2012, 4:35 pm
Ok, I see where the back button is now, but it wasn't there on some sites for some reason.. And it's hard to keep it
in landscape mode. It keeps going back to portrait. And it's hard to enter a web address. Takes me back to portrait
and that awful keyboard every time, and then more buttons to get back to landscape.

If I could just get another browser working well, I'd be in love. :)
Except the other browsers won't let you stream video from the web. Only Trac's browser lets you do that.
Trust me, I've already tried them all.

As customers we have to expect that Trac's browser functions properly with the ui of the phone and the mobile
web versus just the ui of the phone. The phones ui isn't set up as far as the browser relates. Other apps, maybe.
But not the browser.

Tarkio101

I was doing a little research online to try to remedy the keyboard issue. This website has a lot of good
information. Haven't tried everything on it, but I will keep trying as I have time. The encouraging part is,
the first thing it recommends is what has been mentioned on here, but another section gives advice and
tips in case that doesn't work, or if your phone doesn't offer those options. Hopefully one of us will find a
work around. If nothing else, I have done what the site recommends and gone to the site for opera they
recommend to notify opera that their browser needs optimized for this phone... I think they will be fairly
responsive since so many people with non standard (non android, BB, or apple) phones depend on them.

So, here's the link: http://wapreview.mobi/16785/

Just finding info that is so specific to this exact problem is encouraging. I was surprised at how it is dealing
with the precise issue at hand.

Tech
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
October 28, 2012, 5:22 pm
I was doing a little research online to try to remedy the keyboard issue. This website has a lot of good
information. Haven't tried everything on it, but I will keep trying as I have time. The encouraging part is,
the first thing it recommends is what has been mentioned on here, but another section gives advice and
tips in case that doesn't work, or if your phone doesn't offer those options. Hopefully one of us will find a
work around. If nothing else, I have done what the site recommends and gone to the site for opera they
recommend to notify opera that their browser needs optimized for this phone... I think they will be fairly
responsive since so many people with non standard (non android, BB, or apple) phones depend on them.

So, here's the link: http://wapreview.mobi/16785/

Just finding info that is so specific to this exact problem is encouraging. I was surprised at how it is dealing
with the precise issue at hand.
I'm probably not going to give another browser besides the Tracfone native browser a second thought.
Opera mini was like a snail anyhow. Besides, I'll hardly ever use the browser for anything unless I'm in
a pinch and have too... Just bugs me that trac won't let me use startpage.com/m to search on the web.

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
October 28, 2012, 4:33 pm
Tarkio101
October 28, 2012, 11:45 am
I'll trade you my Net10 LG Optimus Net Android smart phone for your LG 840G -- Even Steven.
Includes a cover, a 4GB microSD card, user manual, and I'll even throw in a new battery.
Reminds me that I'm stuck with this practically new lg800ghl. Did manage to get a nip out of the carrot with this 840g though.

JJC

Do you have the option to use QWERTY throughout the default Tracfone browser?

If I click the google search box will I have an option to use Qwerty?

Tech
Member Avatar

I signed onto my email on the web version using the Tracfone browser and there was no padlock or secure icon, at all...

Where do you see a padlock that says you're accessing your email securely on the device?

Tech
Member Avatar

muddy211
October 28, 2012, 9:20 am
Tech,
That's what it looks like with my lg 840g. Waiting to hear what Tarkio says about that padlock icon. Just want to
make sure that's what it really is before I narrow it down to maybe a problem with the phone that I have.

I signed into my email (like a moron) without a hint of information from the device as to whether it was a secure
connection or not. No padlock icon or anything. Tarkio says there's a padlock icon. So...need a screen shot.

Edit -- I turned off wifi and accessed the browser using minutes and it did show a padlock. So, it does appear to
be a secure connection... The only way i can get a secure wen search though is to put a "S" behind http for the
google search and then bookmark that page. In doing so the padlock comes on top of the tracfone browser icon
as a secure web search. Still don't like to use google though but it is what it is, I guess. Is a shame because I'd
use the browser much more if i could use my preferred search engine. Again...startpage.com/m

Will have to go check out some settings on my router just fer s!@#s 'n giggles. ;)

Tech
Member Avatar

JJC
October 28, 2012, 7:08 pm
Do you have the option to use QWERTY throughout the default Tracfone browser?
If I click the google search box will I have an option to use Qwerty?
No. That's what Tarkio was already saying. This is actually a great phone to have a gravity sensor.
We already know it has a proximity sensor so...what gives, huh?

Tarkio101

I'm still working on a fix for the keyboard issue. The thing going on is this--when I downloaded Opera Mini,
the browser doesn't know I'm using a touchscreen phone, so it doesn't tell the phone to ditch the annoying
keypad that non touch screen users would need. The 800g had an option to turn it off manually. The 840g
doesn't, so I'm looking for fix. Looks like there is a little addition that can be added to the download that tells
the phone that the keypad isn't needed.

The good news is, that it is fixable. I have found some instructions above, and while I haven't gotten them work
yet, I feel like I am getting closer. Since the browser is really the main thing bothering me about the phone right
now, I'm pretty determined to figure out a fix. I'll try to refrain from too many updates until I actually have it working. lol

Tech
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
October 28, 2012, 10:18 pm
I'm still working on a fix for the keyboard issue. The thing going on is this--when I downloaded Opera Mini,
the browser doesn't know I'm using a touchscreen phone, so it doesn't tell the phone to ditch the annoying
keypad that non touch screen users would need. The 800g had an option to turn it off manually. The 840g
doesn't, so I'm looking for fix. Looks like there is a little addition that can be added to the download that tells
the phone that the keypad isn't needed.

The good news is, that it is fixable. I have found some instructions above, and while I haven't gotten them work
yet, I feel like I am getting closer. Since the browser is really the main thing bothering me about the phone right
now, I'm pretty determined to figure out a fix. I'll try to refrain from too many updates until I actually have it working. lol
I'm sitting in the middle of where the hurricane is coming so nothing better to do but fudge around.
Is why I've been messing with this thing.

Can't believe that I just got charged 1.20 units to send a single sms to 4 different people in one single text.
Wow. What's that all about?

annepani

You sent 4 texts -- 4 people, 1 text per person... And they are .3 units per text.

weiden1

Hello... Question on the set up of this phone. How do I turn off the turning ON/OFF sound? Very Annoying.

Also, does anyone know how to set up a "profile" on this phone?? Thought I read something on another blog, but
cannot find it now. I have looked at the User Guide and AnyDevice files, but cannot seem to locate the information.

Thanks in Advance for any help.

Tarkio101

What kind of profile? I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean.

Tech
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
October 29, 2012, 2:00 pm
The poster is referencing sound profiles. Silent, ring, ring - vibrate.

Click on the tiny black tab on the very top of any of the main screens and you'll see that another menu opens.
Click "ring" and you'll be able to quickly switch between the three default profiles.
Also some other neat shortcuts on that menu.

But the answer is yes.

Tech
Member Avatar

I'd like to see how the browser functions on Straight Talk because the manner in which the ui of the phone is setup
is awesome. Trafones browser and it's own limitations are what really screws it up. If there were any other browser
using the default browser ui of the device besides the tracfone one I think it would be a wonderful browsing experience.

Tracfone has basically broken the mobile web (or at least the ability to use it properly) by keeping their own browser
software so....useless. Their browser limitations render the very functional browser ui of the phone worthless.

Other than that I don't see anything to complain about besides the fact that one cannot view pdf's, docs and whatnot.

It's just insane how Tracfone really goes out of their way to actually get in the way of the mobile web the way they do
with no desire to actually work with it like other browsers do. I think that if they ever got their act together and got some
real developers building their browser to adapt to the ui of the modern phones then they would find that more people
would use their browser to get on the web.

weiden1

Tarkio101
On the LG 800g you can set up a "profile" where you choose ringtones, alerts, startup and shutdown tone,
message alerts and reminders. You can have 3 different ones. This is what I am talking about. Can this be
done with this phone?? .. Or is there just one "master" settings.

weiden1

Tech
October 29, 2012, 5:46 pm
Tarkio101

Click on the tiny black tab on the very top of any of the main screens and you'll see that another menu opens.
Click "ring" and you'll be able to quickly switch between the three default profiles.

But the answer is yes.
I checked this, but it is for incoming call ring, vibrate, ring+vibrate.

I want to turn off the sound it makes when turning phone on and off.

Tech
Member Avatar

Oh. I see what you're saying. Can't turn it off that I've found.

There is no "profile" like that. I tried that too when I first got the phone because it annoyed me too.

There's a service alert notification somewhere that I recall but that's probably not it.

Tech
Member Avatar

Ok. So, I just got off of the phone with Tracfone. I asked why I wasn't able to access startpage.com/m.

The response was that 1- Why do I want to use that search engine, and after my very honest explanation I was
told that 2 - there are certain sites that tracfone "will not allow" the user to go to. Startpage.com being one of them
obviously. Will not allow? Oh, you must mean censorship. Ah, I see.

So. Yeah. I did let the very nice lady know that technically this is censorship of the web and did get the impression
that the "superior" who was relaying the message knew exactly that this was what was happening.

Anyhow, here's what tracfone doesn't apparently agree with: https://ixquick.com/eng/what-makes-ixquick-special.html

Why on Earth one should have to explain to a corporation why they want to be able to browse the web the way
they want too and in a manner that it was built to be browsed is beyond me.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Tech
October 29, 2012, 7:13 pm
Ok. So, I just got off of the phone with Tracfone. I asked why I wasn't able to access startpage.com/m.

The response was that 1- Why do I want to use that search engine, and after my very honest explanation I was
told that 2 - there are certain sites that tracfone "will not allow" the user to go to. Startpage.com being one of them

So. Yeah. I did let the very nice lady know that technically this is censorship of the web and did get the impression
that the "superior" who was relaying the message knew exactly that this was what was happening.

Anyhow, here's what tracfone doesn't apparently agree with: https://ixquick.com/eng/what-makes-ixquick-special.html

Why on Earth one should have to explain to a corporation why they want to be able to browse the web the way
I think TracFones reasoning is related to that "search engine" not really being a search engine, but rather an
anonymous service using other search engines to find things. I would bet the CIA/FBI might be paying special
attention to such anonymous services, and might have requested carriers to block it.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Tech
So if Tracfone "will not allow" its users from using http://startpage.com/m (it defaults to https://www.startpage.com/m/)
why can I get it on all my Tracfones (don't have the 840G) with the native browser? Another wrong answer from TF
which is sadly the norm nowadays. That's right up there with the 3 emails they sent me telling me the 390G definitely
did not use 3G, in the fourth they were very pleased to inform me that the 390G did indeed use 3G according to their
technicians :) (I was complaining about the rates at the time but couldn't get them to admit it used 3G).

Tarkio101

I don't think Tracfone actually allows or doesn't allow anything as a matter of principle. They just have crappy,
simple phones. lol.. I doubt anyone there has ever heard of the site... With this company's organization and
effectiveness, I don't really have any faith in any information they provide, whether it is confirming or denying
something. I think it just doesn't load on this phone and there's no real reason.

As far as being able to search anonymously, there are plenty of prepaid phones available that use operating
systems that do allow it. So I doubt Tracfone is any different.

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
October 29, 2012, 7:38 pm
Tech

I think TracFones reasoning is related to that "search engine" not really being a search engine, but rather an
anonymous service using other search engines to find things. I would bet the CIA/FBI might be paying special
attention to such anonymous services, and might have requested carriers to block it.
Well. The thing is that there is absolutely no such thing as anonymity on the www. If folks think that there is then
they are foolish. That wasn't my gripe. The more relevant point as far as where I was going with it is that what if
the user doesn't want third party corporations building up profiles of those who use their search engines just so
they can sell their information to the highest bidder?

What if folks don't want their information hacked in a manner consistent with those types of practices? The CIA
and FBI along with so and so .inc get to enforce that we the people cannot protect ourselves from third party
corporations and their business practices? Since when? And based on what? Fear mongerering? I forget what
we call a merge of corporation and state but I think there is a word for it.

It's always the old it's for yer security gag and folks are always quick to just say oh...ok.. One of my fondest quotes
that I recall is that those who would sacrifice freedom for a little "security" deserve neither.

Anyhoo. I've downloaded the opera mini which allows me to search the www in a more libertarian manner.
I can access the search engine from that browser. Unlike tracfones. It's censorship, in my opinion, for the purpose
of third parties and their business partners to be able to data mine. Nothing else.

Not even worth the time to discuss it any further, really. It is what it is so I, for one, just won't use their browser at all.
Which is unfortunate because the phone has an awsome user interface if there were a genuine browser using it...
which there isn't.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

BobbyLee
October 29, 2012, 7:38 pm
Tech
So if Tracfone "will not allow" its users from using http://startpage.com/m (it defaults to https://www.startpage.com/m/)
why can I get it on all my Tracfones (don't have the 840G) with the native browser? Another wrong answer from TF
which is sadly the norm nowadays. That's right up there with the 3 emails they sent me telling me the 390G definitely
did not use 3G, in the fourth they were very pleased to inform me that the 390G did indeed use 3G according to their
technicians :) (I was complaining about the rates at the time but couldn't get them to admit it used 3G).
Regarding Anonymous "Search" sites -- they allow all sorts of nefarious searches, including pedophilia,
prostitution, so-called "snuff" videos, and other illegal activities. I would suspect that TracFone may have
learned of this recently (maybe as a result/fallout of WikiLeaks), and are programming a restriction into
new phone acquisitions. It may be difficult to update into pre-existing models.

Regarding 3G -- I think TracFone (as opposed to Net10 and Straight Talk) is experimenting with phones
that have 3G capability. Many carriers are experiencing data overload, even with data shuffled off to the
internet... Many carriers are backing off real "unlimited" data plans. TracFone (as opposed to Net10 and
Straight Talk) hasn't (to my knowledge) formally addressed data cost/charge issues.

In addition, 3G is slow - slower than WiFi. Too much 3G may clog their system and cause data transmission
backlogs that result in degraded system performance... I would recommend that 3G only be used when the
transaction is urgent and WiFi is not available.

In any case, I don't think that either issue is any nefarious corporate plot to screw the customer, but real,
previously unanticipated issues they have to try to come to grips with -- all within the cost and revenue
model they have in place.

Tech
Member Avatar

Not saying it's some nefarious plot, doc. But not all of us use startpage.com for those things. And those who do
should know that the carrier has a history of all data that goes through their network so the idea of blocking the
web site just doesn't cut it.

Here's why I use startpage...

From their site --

Startpage Protects Your Privacy!

Startpage, and its sister search engine Ixquick, are the only third-party certified search engines in the world that
do not record your IP address or track your searches.

Your privacy is under attack! Every time you use a regular search engine, your search data is recorded.
Major search engines capture your IP address and use tracking cookies to make a record of your search terms,
the time of your visit, and the links you choose - then they store that information in a giant database.

Those searches reveal a shocking amount of personal information about you, such as your interests, family
circumstances, political leanings, medical conditions, and more. This information is modern-day gold for marketers,
government officials, black-hat hackers and criminals - all of whom would love to get their hands on your private
search data.

Why should you worry? Major search engines have quietly amassed the largest database of personal information
on individuals ever collected. Unfortunately, this data can all too easily fall into the wrong hands.
Consider the following story:

In August 2006, the online world was jarred when AOL accidentally released three months' worth of aggregated
search data from 650,000 of its users, publishing all the details in an online database.
That database is still searchable. It is an absolute eye-opener to see the potential for privacy nightmares.

Shocked? You are not alone.
When we search, we share our most private thoughts with our computers.
These private thoughts should be safe.

Startpage's position:
You have a right to privacy.
Your search data should never fall into the wrong hands.
The only real solution is quickly deleting your data or not storing them to begin with.
Since January 2009 we do not record our users' IP addresses anymore.
We are the first and only search engine to do so.
Our initiative is receiving an overwhelmingly positive response!

Startpage will wholeheartedly continue on its mission to offer you great search results in the best possible privacy!

Anyhoo. I'm done harping on it.

muddy211

Kudos to you Tech!!!

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ Tech.
User Privacy is a fiction... ALL those supposedly "free" sites sell your data and demographics to advertisers.
It cost money to run a site, and the old adage applies -- "there ain't nothing really free." You may not be aware
that your demographic data is being collected, sorted, repackaged and sold, but it is. And you may find your
system infected with "report back" bots to boot.

lukepete

weiden1
October 29, 2012, 6:16 pm
Tech
October 29, 2012, 5:46 pm
Tarkio101

But the answer is yes.
I checked this, but it is for incoming call ring, vibrate, ring+vibrate.
I want to turn off the sound it makes when turning phone on and off.
To turn off the sound that is made when locking the phone, go to Sound Settings -> Keypad Tone -> Volume and
click on the little speaker icon to turn off sound.. I am not sure if that is what you are referring to when "turning the
phone on and off", but I was annoyed at the sound when locking and unlocking the phone.

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
October 30, 2012, 4:07 am
@ Tech.
User Privacy is a fiction... ALL those supposedly "free" sites sell your data and demographics to advertisers.
It cost money to run a site, and the old adage applies -- "there ain't nothing really free." You may not be aware
that your demographic data is being collected, sorted, repackaged and sold, but it is. And you may find your
system infected with "report back" bots to boot.
We're going to just have to agree that we disagree in scope, doc. There are other platforms for such discussion and
I don't want to ruin the premise of the thread with my thought on tracs response as to why the phone is only able to
use certain search engines.

Beyond that particular bit of corporate shenanigans against the end users freedom of choice regarding what search
engine they want to use on their device it's actually a very good phone with decent function and certainly a step
forward as far as technology goes for the particular demograph that it's intended for in the market which is in itself
another aspect of the issue but will leave it be here.

The search engine gripe is really the only one that I've found that I find annoying but accept that I'll simply use Opera
Mini for whatever small bit of browsing that I'll need to do in a pinch and as such miss out on the very functional ui
that LG configured into the phone relevant to whatever the given native browsers function. Besides. Someone has
to mention things like this otherwise everyone just blindly accepts that they must default to throwing away their right
to privacy and any input as far as protecting their search information from these third party companies.

It's unfortunate that folks who expect some sort of protection from these practices through an actual choice in their
search engine are by default placed into discussion with pedophilia and all of that other stuff that you mentioned
because all that does is empower the third parties and make folks who just want to protect their data look like the
bad guys.

That only empowers those who get in the way of the right of the end user to privacy to keep on doing what they are
doing. As I said, when I called to ask why I was blocked from searching with startpage.com I was asked why I wanted
to use it. What's that all about? Do you see how that worked? Interesting to say the least.

Anyhow,
As I said, I'm not going to discuss the gripe any more in the thread and we'll just have to agree to disagree in scope.

Other than that particular issue it's a great device and users who may not share in my opinion or consider such things
may very well find the trac browser useful. As I said, it's very, very fast and the ui is set up in a near perfect manner.
The reception is great and it has a nice look and feel.

annepani

The past few posts are really a discussion of privacy and other issues. The discussion is not specific to the
LG 840g and I wish Turk would move it to a separate thread in the Topics forum.

Tech
Member Avatar

Actually it's profoundly relevant to the 840g. This is the first phone of the next generation of future phones that block
the user from accessing alternative search engines via the mobile web and if you read any of the other postings then
you would know that this is the first one that specifically blocks access to pages that one may want to choose to use
for their web searches. The old ones you can access the other search engines... If folks simply move the discussion
and ignore the relevnce all that does is support the later theory excusing the practice by means of the old "Oh well,
that's how they did it the last time" gag. You see?

Change the subject if you find no relevance in such speak. Talk about apps or something... But the discussion is
relevant to this phone. Profoundly.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Tech,

Personally I'm a little confused, the browser is an app that accesses the web via the network you're using (ATT,
Verizon, etc.) and unless you're are going through the browser's Home page (on Tracfone's servers) exactly how
can they censure/block the access? Are you saying the browser has a blacklist of sites incorporated in it or that
our carriers have an allowed/not-allowed list of web sites for their Tracfone users?

Have you tried going direct to the web site using the native browser without going through the Home page or
are you searching for the startpage.com from the search selection on the Home page to get there? Just trying
to understand how they are accomplishing this outside of using their Home page.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I've moved this 840g question here to this topic where it officially belongs - no other changes will be made above.
dioalp:

LG 840g Apps Question?
Hi... I'm new to this forum. Yesterday I purchased a LG 840G Tracfone from Walmart. I also purchased the 1
year service plan and I figure with the cost of the phone and airtime, the first year monthly costs are only $13.
Great deal for sure.

My question is where to find additional applications for this model. If the lg 800g and lg 840g are interchangeable
at the software level then getjar.com and other sites offer apps. I'm mostly looking for non-game apps.

Thanks for any suggestions....... dioalp
muddy211:

Hey dioalp ... try www.getjar.com ... good luck.
DoctorM:

@dioalp ... It is a Java app phone, so most of the apps that work for the LG 800G should work for the 840G.

Tech
Member Avatar

BobbyLee
October 30, 2012, 6:46 pm
Tech,
Personally I'm a little confused, the browser is an app that accesses the web via the network you're using (ATT,
Verizon, etc.) and unless you're are going through the browser's Home page (on Tracfone's servers) exactly how
can they censure/block the access? Are you saying the browser has a blacklist of sites incorporated in it or that
our carriers have an allowed/not-allowed list of web sites for their Tracfone users?

Have you tried going direct to the web site using the native browser without going through the Home page or
are you searching for the startpage.com from the search selection on the Home page to get there? Just trying
to understand how they are accomplishing this outside of using their Home page.
Well. There are prerequisites to be considered before actually thinking about it like that, BobbyLee. In the interest of respecting others views who may not find this issue relevant I'll try to keep it short. I really don't want to ruin the thread for others who may want to discuss other things relevant to the phone.

The user interface, or ui, of this device is not like any other tracfone. As such, the browser is not an "app" per se. It's a software simply using the ui of the device but only as far as it wants itself to function and also conform to the actual function of the ui. kind of like a leech attatched to your bird dog and holding him up from retrieving supper. The native browser ui is very similar to the iphone. The phone's browser ui is like all of the other menu ui also which conforms to the menus and structure of the file system on top of that. In other words, they communicate and work in synergy.

If you go to getjar with opera mini and browse to what app you want to download and then click on download then the default browser "ui" for the phone itself..which is default because it is the ui automatically shuts down opera mini and opens up the phones ui for the file download to your phone or cards file system in synergy with the native browser that technically should be using the default ui instead of opera mini in the first place...that would be tracfones. It does so through it's native browser ui. The native browser ui that tracfone has attatched to basically seems to have been messed with in a manner that breaks it's (the ui combined with it's ability to navigate the web as it was written to do) function.

That said, when you open up the trac browser to browse the...ahem..."mobile web" ^o) ...you can only browse it as far as tracfone is configured to work with the ui of the phone...which is the actual browser. Tracfones browser really isn't a browser. The browser icon is simply a shortcut to the native browser built into the ui. That's separate.

As far as tracfone the mobile provider goes it seems as if they simply will not let the user communicate with startpage.com via exploitation of the ca certificate and the ui. In other words, they may block not only communication but also the ui function as it relates to that communication. These are the errors one receives when using the native browser of the phone to navicgate to the particular page...which does navigate to the page...until tracfone steps in and says, uh-uh. No CA Certificate - Cannot communicate. At least that's my perception of what is happening. If anyone else has the phone then it's rather simple to mimmick the action and test the theory. Basically, I'm just going by the specific error about the CA certificate combined with the fact that the nice lady that I talked too told me that there were certain sites that tracfone would not let the end user access. And really, i'm fine with that if it's a legitimate block toward a derogatory web site or a predatory one or whatever. I understand that logic. I don't know which ones but the only one I care about is my preferred search engine and it seems to be censored from functioning on this device for no other reason other than it's privacy policy dedicated to actually protecting the end user from questionable practices with their data. I'm not expecting them to put a shortcut on their home page. All I want is to be able to go to the page and do my search. Sounds simple. Right?

That's as far as I really feel like messing with it to be honest. It's rather wrong in my opinion and since this does seem to be a new phenomenon moving forward with the transition and subsequent manipulation of the structure of these new devices...if folks accept it without question...then I'm not even going to use tracfones web service anymore. I will use the phone and the other very nice features that it offers. It is, after all, a nice device. I thought I could have some bit of protection from the data mining practices of those other search engines that do not practice the same privacy policy as startpage that they do allow to function by alternatively using the opera mini browser that does play nice even though it's an app and let you use startpage.com for your searches but once I realized that it defaulted to the phones ui itself and subsequently reverted directly back to giving tracfone browser of the native browser within the ui function after the initial revert from mini to the ui then I decided that it just wasn't worth the hassle. I think this is why you can watch youtube on the device as well from the native ui browser. The phone itself has the capability through it's ui and hardware and I'm sure that it has the ability to play them in full screen as well except trac has seemingly done something to negate it to a tiny box in the middle of the screen. Can't be sure on that but I know that all of my own personal videos from my kids baseball games and whatnot play in hd full screen and look great along with others that I've tranferred over to the memory card.

Now, you can go to startpage.com on opera mini and browse using the startpage.com search engine if you wish and it works fine. Of course, like I said, if you want to download something then the ui takes over and shuts down opera mini but in doing so tracfones software or whatever gets in the mix too and then you're right back to the native browser ui except with tracs rules attatched and conforming again to oh, no...no startpage.com for you. This phone has a specific ui that's used by default and should be used by only one browser. Anything else just won't function as the phone was intended to access the mobile web.

So, in other words, tracfone is seemingly blocking communication with startpage.com. Sure, you can go to the mobile search engines page but try to type in a search and press the button to go browsing and you get the CA Certificate error and a message stating that it's unable to communicate.

The only reason that I can think of is because of their privacy policy conflicting with that of the search engines and their web pages that tracfone actually does allow to function as they were meant to function on the mobile web. As for me, I don't agree with those third party business models as far as what they do with the users data. Which is why I use startpage.com in the first place. Has nothing to do with the stereotypical profiling mentioned previously in the thread toward those who may wish to protect their data when using these third party search engines or their websites but cannot.

Anyhoo. Sorry for the long screed. I know I said I'd try to keep it short but really there is a bit to it.

And thanks for not moving the discussion, Turk. There is something to be said for the say so or constructive input from the end user that mobile providers should at least move themselves to consider.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@Tech
Well, even if that site is blocked, I wouldn't be going there anyway... I'd still opt for the LG 840G.
If you want to get rid of your 840G, I'll trade you even-Steven for a perfectly good Net10 LG Optimus Net
(CDMA) Android smart phone for it.

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
October 30, 2012, 10:34 pm
@Tech
Well, even if that site is blocked, I wouldn't be going there anyway... I'd still opt for the LG 840G.
If you want to get rid of your 840G, I'll trade you even-Steven for a perfectly good Net10 LG Optimus Net
(CDMA) Android smart phone for it.
Nope. No dice, Doc. :D

Don't get me wrong. I really do like this phone. It's a nice device and for once I can show my friends a video of my
kid winning the World series when I'm out and about on my phone along with many other neat videos along the
ride of life that parents would want to brag about at work or wherever. And without the price tag of those smart
devices. As far as the browser thing, one can always put a little s behind the http before google and bookmark
that for their searches. In fact, I did do that and it does work.

I don't want to get rid of the phone though because I really do like the phone. The phone isn't the issue for me.
It's the illusion of choice that comes with tracfone's browser software that plucks me. So, I'm just not going to use
the browser.

Nice try though. ;) Optimus is OK, I guess. Haven't seen a review on it.

Anyhoo. Thanks for changing the subject. I was getting tired of yapping about it. It's ones own choice how they use
the phone I guess. Someone had to mention the thing with blocking search engines though. There is a choice and
then there is the illusion of choice. Two totally different principles.

Tarkio101

I'm liking the native Tracfone browser a lot more now that I've had time to use it more. Opera is a fading memory. lol
Now that I have all of my regular bookmarks set up, I know which sites work best etc, I'm just cruising along.

Can't believe I have a wifi touchscreen phone from Tracfone that is this nice to use and this enjoyable.
Never thought I would see the day. The 800g seems so BAD now. lol

The screen is just awesome. Don't care what the resolution is, because it looks great. And not just that, but the
entire face of the phone is just beautiful. It looks very well made. Looks like a very expensive phone, whereas
some other Tracfones have a Playskool look to this. lol

The touchscreen is about as good as I could have hoped for. Like I said earlier, this is the good kind. The really
sensitive and accurate kind. Probably not up there with the best of the best, but for anyone who has ever used a
bad touchscreen, this one will blow you away when you consider the price.

Tech
Member Avatar

dioalp:

LG 840g Apps Question?
Hi... I'm new to this forum. Yesterday I purchased a LG 840G Tracfone from Walmart. I also purchased the 1
year service plan and I figure with the cost of the phone and airtime, the first year monthly costs are only $13.
Great deal for sure.

My question is where to find additional applications for this model. If the lg 800g and lg 840g are interchangeable
at the software level then getjar.com and other sites offer apps. I'm mostly looking for non-game apps.

muddy211:

DoctorM:

@dioalp ... It is a Java app phone, so most of the apps that work for the LG 800G should work for the 840G.
The only thing I'm really interested in is a legitimate document viewer and one for reading pdf's. Not really into all
of the games and whatnot. I don't know what kind of apps you're looking for, dioalp but if I ever find these and find
them to not be just troublesome software, I'll share a link.

Most, actually all, of the viewers that I've found don't work and come with a midlet security popup every other
second or so.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Tech
October 31, 2012, 1:11 pm
dioalp:

LG 840g Apps Question?
Great deal for sure.

muddy211:

DoctorM:

The only thing I'm really interested in is a legitimate document viewer and one for reading pdf's. Not really into all
of the games and whatnot. I don't know what kind of apps you're looking for, dioalp but if I ever find these and find
them to not be just troublesome software, I'll share a link.

Most, actually all, of the viewers that I've found don't work and come with a midlet security popup every other
second or so.
The LG 800G had a built in document viewer which was pretty good. It wasn't accessed as a widget, but by
clicking on MY Stuff >> DOCUMENTS >> (then click on your document). .. A PICSEL splash screen flashed
momentarily, then opened the document. You might have that on the LG 840G.

tracfone2004

With the LG 840G Tracfone Browser can one take a picture and post it to Facebook along with a description of
the picture. I have the LG 800G and never had much luck with this. I really just want to use the 840G mainly as
a phone, facebook device, and for checking my gmail... Will this phone do the facebook/gmail tasks easily?

Thanks in advance.

Tarkio101

I have my gmail set up on this phone and it's very easy to do. In fact, there are several ways to do it. There is an
email app that asks for you user name and password and save that if you choose... It's very quick and easy and
the interface is nice.

Another way to use gmail is this-- since google offers so many services that a lot of people use, you could book
mark the google mobile homepage that has the search bar at the top, and all of the other services (maps, gmail,
news, google docs etc) down below. Then, you could use gmail from there.

Some people use everything google, and this brings up the entire list of everything all in one place instead of
saving or bookmarking each page separately.

Tarkio101

For those interested, I have found some screen protectors on Amazon under the model number LG T375.
It's the same phone. T375 is the non Tracfone model number for this phone. There a couple of different kinds.

One set has 5 for 2 bucks. The other is 2 for 5 bucks. The last one is the kind that uses a few drops of water in
the installation to make sure all air bubbles are out and that the fit is super tight... I'm still looking for cases.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lg+t375

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Here is what the LG 840G User Guide (page 33) says about that --

QUOTE:
Don’t cover the phone with a case or cover as the touch screen will not work with any material covering it.
UNQUOTE:

Just saying...

Jon

I did use screen protector cut from my leftover stash. The touch screen is still very smooth.

Not the nicest exact fit, but just to protect it from scratches.

I am still searching for a "cheap" case as I find the back of the phone a little too slippery.

MiMtnBiker

I posted these questions on another forum but did not receive a response. A member there PMed me and suggested
that I post them here.

On Tuesday, I purchased an 840G and installed some apps and games on the phone. When I went to use the apps or
play the games, some sort of navigation menu appeared that I cannot get rid of. There is no way to minimize it or close
it out altogether. The menu makes it impossible to use those apps and games that I installed.

I created a support ticket through TF, but their response was essentially that it's part of the programming and there isn't
anything they can do about it. They also told me to contact the manufacturer. It has been my experience that contacting
the manufacturer who produces phones for TF and N10 don't provide customer support for those phones. So, needless
to say, going that route was about worthless.

I haven't read any other instanced of this which leads me to believe I am either installing the wrong games/apps, I am
the only one with this problem and I have a defective phone, or no one else has installed any apps/games.

Here are a couple of images of what I am referring to.

Posted Image
Posted Image

GRRacing

A few posts (days) ago "Tech" had a post that talked about "a little black tab at the top of the screen on the main
menus" that he could click on.
My LG 840G does not have any little black tabs at the top. It has 3 little blue diamonds that do not respond to any
touch. What am I missing here?

I think someone also described using the qwerty keyboard to enter letters into the browser.
Where is that option and how do I turn it on?

Finally, some people were noting they could not find any cases/pouches. I just bought a nylon belt holster for mine
on ebay. This phone is virtually the same size as the Motorola EX124G, so I looked for a case that fit the Motorola.
Cost was $4. ......... I love this board; tons of valuable information here and helpful people. Thanks. Gene

Tech
Member Avatar

GRRacing
November 1, 2012, 12:18 pm
A few posts (days) ago "Tech" had a post that talked about "a little black tab at the top of the screen on the main
menus" that he could click on.
My LG 840G does not have any little black tabs at the top. It has 3 little blue diamonds that do not respond to any
touch. What am I missing here?

I think someone also described using the qwerty keyboard to enter letters into the browser.
Where is that option and how do I turn it on?

Finally, some people were noting they could not find any cases/pouches. I just bought a nylon belt holster for mine
on ebay. This phone is virtually the same size as the Motorola EX124G, so I looked for a case that fit the Motorola.
Cost was $4. ......... I love this board; tons of valuable information here and helpful people. Thanks. Gene
Hi, GR. If you look at the very top of the phones screen you can see the litle black notch right in the middle.
Technically, you can just touch the very top of the display in the general area and it will open a sub-menu.

There's not a whole lot there, and it doesn't look to be able to be reconfigured, but it does serve as a good
shortcut menu for access to things that you wouldn't have to clutter up your main shortcut screen with.

Hope that helps.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.