Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) LG 840g Phone Topic
Topic Started: September 24, 2012, 12:41 am (176,601 Views)
pacoman

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts, or questions on this phone, please post it all here... thanks.

* Here is the Tracfone LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?
* Here is the Net10 LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tfuser19
October 2, 2013, 9:34 pm
@pacoman,
Delete one of your IMAP accounts.
When you re-add it, slide the Push button, which is after the password field, to the right to enable push.
Selecting Access Point: WLAN enables push during WiFi only if I recall correctly.
Did that, still no push button. I just got my phone from tracfone, but it is a reconditioned unit. Under settings/phone,
it shows that I'm running software version V10b. Is it possible that you guys have a different OS version than I do?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tfuser19

@pacoman,
I have the same version. Have you tried pulling the battery out? If that does not fix it, then maybe delete all the
email accounts, start over - just add one IMAP account first and check it... If still not working, time to return it.

tracmac

tfuser19
October 1, 2013, 10:17 pm
@tracmac,
After I select Push on, I have to wait a bit for it to turn on, so trying waiting about 30 secs to a minute and see if the red push LED turns green.
I did give it a few to switch back over, didn't work. When it does switch back the delay is very short (10 sec at the most) & a thin scroll bar of sorts pops up briefly on the RH side of the screen & then disappears. Oddly enough while typing out this reply here push came back on - on its own about 5 minutes after trying unsuccessfully to re-enable it. Seems to have a mind of its own. I've even removed the battery a few times.

oceans3101
October 2, 2013, 9:35 pm
Pacoman, I think that you only get to select push off/on at the time that you set up a new email account on your phone. I just created a new account and after I entered the email address and password I had a selection for push. Try setting up a new account, or delete your old and replace. My phone set everything on it's own and you had a box to select push if you want it, it's an 840g.
It seems the email app knows which providers can be set up with IMAP or not, as it seems to default one way or another after entering your info when adding an acct. Keep in mind the choices/settings you see will differ from one another when it comes to IMAP vs POP. If the email app sets up the acct as POP, you will not see any push related options/choices. Likewise, I don't think you will see options & choices that you see with POP when an acct is setup as IMAP (at least that has been my experience so far). And this can be a major problem if push decides it doesn't want to stay on at times (like it has for me). When push is "out to lunch" your SOL, as there appears to be no way to manually force mail retrieval. The choice/option of "update" like there is with a POP type acct when viewing the inbox is NOT an option that I can see. At this point your only option would be to use a web browser & manually log into your email acct.

pacoman
October 2, 2013, 9:57 pm
tfuser19
October 2, 2013, 9:34 pm
@pacoman,
Delete one of your IMAP accounts.
When you re-add it, slide the Push button, which is after the password field, to the right to enable push.
Selecting Access Point: WLAN enables push during WiFi only if I recall correctly.
Did that, still no push button. I just got my phone from tracfone, but it is a reconditioned unit. Under settings/phone,
it shows that I'm running software version V10b. Is it possible that you guys have a different OS version than I do?

tfuser19
October 2, 2013, 10:18 pm
@pacoman,
I have the same version. Have you tried pulling the battery out? If that does not fix it, then maybe delete all the
email accounts, start over - just add one IMAP account first and check it... If still not working, time to return it.
FWIW my phone is running V10b as well.

pacoman - The acct options you see or don't see are pretty much related to what I said above in regards to IMAP vs POP.

As mentioned by others, when there is an issue with an acct, the best solution is to always delete it & start over from scratch.

pacoman

OK. Here we go. Opening Email and tapping on the options button brimgs up this screen.

Posted Image

Then, tapping add account brings up this screen.

Posted Image

Then, filling in my account address and password looks like this. There is no push option here. The account is with AOL and is IMAP4
Also, I tapped the @ button to add the aol.com to the end of my email address (though I've done it both using and not using the @ button).

Posted Image

Tapping on the options button while in the previous screen only bings up a cancel option.

Posted Image

Where should the push option be?

tfuser19

@pacoman,

PUSH does not work for all email accounts. Can you list all the email accounts you have - don't need the usernames?

My yahoo account works with PUSH, but there seems to be an issues somewhere in the network where nobody with
a LG 840G can access their gmail account - so no PUSH on this phone with gmail.

Tech
Member Avatar

I think there was a sub menu for advanced settings to find push. I haven't used this device in a while so will have to
charge it and check for you. Also this email client comes wide open by default. You have to change security settings.
I'll check that for you too if nobody else chimes in. Mine is completely dead though.

Is that aol mail account your primary one?

1 - because you shouldn't share it with the world....spam.

2 - because in order for push to work you have to change some other settings as I recall.
I used a junk aol mail account to test it when I used it.

tfuser19

Tech
October 3, 2013, 8:20 pm
I think there was a sub menu for advanced settings to find push. I haven't used this device in a while so will have
to charge it and check for you. Also this email client comes wide open by default. You have to change security
settings. I'll check that for you too if nobody else chimes in. Mine is completely dead though.
Do you recall if we discussed PUSH in this thread earlier (months ago) or am I thinking of another forum.

pacoman

My main account is NetZero, which is POP. AOL is IMAP and is my second spam account. My first spam account is
Yahoo, which is IMAP. My other accounts are Comcast, which is POP, and GMail, which set up as IMAP but couldn't
connect as such, but which did connect when I changed it to POP.

tfuser19

@pacoman,
Delete your yahoo account on the LG 840G and screen snapshot the setup screens like you did before for aol account.
I'm especially interested in the area under the password box.

Bedtime reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_email ;)

tfuser19

@pacoman,
In your first picture, snap me what you see after you click Add Account.
I see a screen which includes login/password/ and a Push slider switch ....... do you not have that?

pacoman

I deleted and reinstalled my Yahoo account. The screen after add account is the same as the screenshot I posted above.
However, with Yahoo, after hitting "save", it couldn't connect to my Yahoo account... I looked in settings, and the account
was set up as POP. So I changed it from POP to IMAP and changed the incoming server address and things then worked
fine. I think this is also the way I set up Yahoo before. Still no push option, though.

oceans3101

Select an email account. Then select the blue box in upper right corner. This will take you to an edit screen,
scroll to bottom and select advanced settings. Be careful not to change anything when scrolling... I have no
idea if this has anything to do with this discussion.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Just wanted to pass this info along, just in case anyone is interested ... October is female cancer awareness month.
* So Dollar General stores have a Pink LG 840g on sale for $40 for the whole month of October for this cancer project.
* So if anyone thinks they want a pink LG 840g, check out your local Dollar General stores to see if they have them in.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pictures provided by Turk and his Turkberry 3 B-)

Curmudgeon

The new battery for my 840g just arrived. I plugged it in to the charger and it lit up instantly!

It was money well spent instead of attempting to resurect the dead battery.

Thanks again for all of your input.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I decided to move this question here where it really belongs, maybe someone can help out - thanks - Turk. B-)
pimike
October 2 2013
Hi, my first post that happens to be a question concerning Tracfone' s LG 840G.

How does one set up and use email on this phone? Appreciate any help, thanks.

tfuser19

pimike
October 2 2013
Hi, my first post that happens to be a question concerning Tracfone' s LG 840G.

How does one set up and use email on this phone? Appreciate any help, thanks.
The answer is documented earlier in this thread.

rich_l

I am replaceing my LG 840G with a Tracfone Centura Android.

How do I transfer my calendar data to the new phone (google calendars)?

annepani

rich_l
October 8, 2013, 12:00 pm
I am replacing my LG 840G with a Tracfone Centura Android.
Doesn't this question belong in the Centura thread?

rich_l

IMHO I think I am asking about how to get the data out of my 840G, not into the Centura, but I have been wrong before, I think 8)

tfuser19

rich_l
October 8, 2013, 1:09 pm
IMHO I think I am asking about how to get the data out of my 840G, not into the Centura, but I have been wrong before, I think 8)
rich_l,

On LG 840G:
Calendar Icon->Menu button->View All->Menu button->Send Schedule Via->Email (Bluetooth did not work for me - if you don't have email configured, read earlier in this thread on how it's done)

Go to your email on your PC and download all the .vcs files into a folder (they may all be in one zip file depending on your email provider)

Go to google calendar (try this link https://www.google.com/calendar/render?pli=1)

Now import one .vcs at a time into your google calendar on your PC, then when you're done, sync your phone's calendar with the google server.
Maybe there's a way to import multiple vcs files into google calendar at once ...... lemme' know if you find it.

I'll be looking for the check in the mail :) as I did not know how to do this before. ;)

tfuser19

annepani
October 8, 2013, 12:40 pm
rich_l
October 8, 2013, 12:00 pm
I am replacing my LG 840G with a Tracfone Centura Android.
Doesn't this question belong in the Centura thread?
@annepani,
I think it would be appropriate to post in both thread. Also, I just answered the question in this thread.

phil1336

Turk
October 4, 2013, 11:00 pm
* Just wanted to pass this info along, just in case anyone is interested ... October is female cancer awareness month.
* So Dollar General stores have a Pink LG 840g on sale for $40 for the whole month of October for this cancer project.
* So if anyone thinks they want a pink LG 840g, check out your local Dollar General stores to see if they have them in.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pictures provided by Turk and his Turkberry 3 B-)
Just curious if anyone knows for sure or has a way of detecting if these Special Edition LG 840G Phones in (Pink) that
Dollar General is selling in Oct for the Susan G Komen Foundation for Breast Cancer Awareness Month come with an
AT&T SIM Card or a T-Mobile SIM Card?

tfuser19

@phil1336,
Look at the bar codes on the bottom edge of the package. The line with TFLG840G will end with either P4 (ATT SIM)
or P5 (or maybe its C5 for T-Mobile SIM).

You could still buy the phone and call Tracfone and request the correct SIM if they phones in the store don't have
SIM/carrier that you need for your activation area.

Urge

I have put a lot of music on my phone but to decrease load times I have been adding the music in folders.
If I play music that is in the Music Player but not in a folder I can use the shuffle, looping and favorites functions
but when the music is in a folder it will only play in the order it is listed inside the folder. Am I missing something?
Is there a way to utilize those functions when playing music in folders?

Urge

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Urge
October 11, 2013, 1:51 pm
I have put a lot of music on my phone but to decrease load times I have been adding the music in folders.
If I play music that is in the Music Player but not in a folder I can use the shuffle, looping and favorites functions
but when the music is in a folder it will only play in the order it is listed inside the folder. Am I missing something?
Is there a way to utilize those functions when playing music in folders?

Urge
I would guess not. Probably no problem on a smart phone, but low-end cell phone operating systems have minimal O/S's
and built-in features. You might find a Java2M music app that will do what you want, but I doubt it.

your best bet for fastest access and full sorting capability is to embed the folder material (such as album name and artwork)
in the music file header, and eliminate sub-folders altogether.

tfuser19

@DoctorM - glad to see you're back... When are you getting a Tracfone Android? :)

rich_l

tfuser19
October 8, 2013, 8:42 pm
rich_l
October 8, 2013, 1:09 pm
rich_l,

On LG 840G:
Calendar Icon->Menu button->View All->Menu button->Send Schedule Via->Email (Bluetooth did not work for me - if you don't have email configured, read earlier in this thread on how it's done)

Go to your email on your PC and download all the .vcs files into a folder (they may all be in one zip file depending on your email provider)

Go to google calendar (try this link https://www.google.com/calendar/render?pli=1)

Now import one .vcs at a time into your google calendar on your PC, then when you're done, sync your phone's calendar with the google server.
Maybe there's a way to import multiple vcs files into google calendar at once ...... lemme' know if you find it.

I'll be looking for the check in the mail :) as I did not know how to do this before. ;)
What a PITA, but it worked so Thank You Very Much :D

DoctorM
Member Avatar

tfuser19
October 11, 2013, 5:05 pm
@DoctorM - glad to see you're back. When are you getting a Tracfone Android? :)
I'll wait for a GSM model with a 5"+ screen. :)

Sprocketman

DoctorM
September 21, 2013, 1:05 am
Finally bought cases/covers for all my LG 840G's.
My girls like flowery stuff and puff, but I finally found the perfect case for me:
http://www.amazon.com/Caseology-Rotating-Holster-Tracfone-StraightTalk/dp/B00CL1TVKG/
Thanks for the tip, Doc. This is a very nice case, and the only metal part is the clip spring, something important for
those of us who are concerned about radiation from a cell phone. (I removed the clip that turns it into an easel.)

The new Samsung with Android has a rated SAR about 50% higher than our LG840g. And battery life is about 20% of ours,
partially explaining the SAR level. Not sure it's going to be worth it, even after the startup glitches are smoothed out.

tfuser19

Sprocketman
October 12, 2013, 5:25 pm
This is a very nice case, and the only metal part is the clip spring, something important for those of us who are
concerned about radiation from a cell phone. (I removed the clip that turns it into an easel.)
@Sprocketman,
:huh: What does removing metal from the case do ? :huh:

DoctorM
Member Avatar

I was playing music on my LG 840G when it hung up, stopped playing, and would not accept any input - hard or soft key. So I removed the battery and reinserted it -- then turned it back on -- and it no longer would recognize my 16GB microSD card.

I turned the phone off, and back on a few times -- no change. I took out the battery out of the LG 840G and reinserted it a few times -- no change.

I also tried connecting the LG 840G to my PC using a USB-microUSB cable, but it responds by saying there is no microSD card (the 16GB card was inserted.)

I tested the 16GB microSD card in my PC (using a SD-microSD adapter to USB adapter) and the PC recognized the microSD with no problem. I can view all the files and open them.

I tested the LG 840G by inserting the original 2GB microSD that came with the phone, and it recognized it with no problem. I connected the LG 840G with the 2GB microSD card to my PC and it connected with no problem.

SUMMARY
-- The PC recognizes the 16GB microSD, but the LG 840G no longer recognizes it.
--Both the PC and the LG 840G recognize the 2GB original microSD card.

CONCLUSION (preliminary) the 16GB microSD has a developed a read resistance threshold too great for the LG 840G, but not too much for a PC.

Anybody else have any similar problems with failing microSD cards?

UPDATE: I found several corrupted audio (music) files on the microSD card, so I reformatted the microSD card on my PC (LG 840G wouldn't recognize it) and reloaded files from a backup -- seems to work OK in the LG 840G now.

tfuser19

@DoctorM,
After you confirmed 16GB is good with PC, did you put it back in the LG840G and try it again?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ tfuser19

Yes - no joy.

Sprocketman

@tfuser19 - metal in carrying cases can reflect the phone's radiation. This is from a NY Times article:

------------------------------
Consider the little-noticed bit of legalese that comes in the safety manual for Apple's iPhone 4: "When using iPhone near
your body for voice calls or for wireless data transmission over a cellular network, keep iPhone at least 15 mm (5/8 inch)
away from the body, and only use carrying cases, belt clips, or holders that do not have metal parts and that maintain at
least 15 mm (5/8 inch) separation between iPhone and the body," the warning reads.

Read more: http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2029493,00.html#ixzz2hejyRWW6
--------------------------------

There is lots more on the web. Most people don't worry about it, but I do.

tfuser19

@Sprocketman,
Thanks - if you have more links, feel free to post them.

I'll have to read up on this subject a bit more after reading the article you linked.

I've not been paying attention to this ...... maybe it's time for me to do some research.

tfuser19

tfuser19
October 13, 2013, 7:31 pm
@DoctorM,
After you confirmed 16GB is good with PC, did you put it back in the LG 840G and try it again?
@DoctorM,

Can you post the manufacturer, part #, etc of the flaky 16GB SD card?

I'm wondering what Amazon reviewers have to say about it.

Have you tried the microSD in another LG 840G just to eliminate the phone from being the problem?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

tfuser19
October 15, 2013, 3:41 pm
tfuser19
October 13, 2013, 7:31 pm
@DoctorM,
After you confirmed 16GB is good with PC, did you put it back in the LG 840G and try it again?
@DoctorM,

Can you post the manufacturer, part #, etc of the flaky 16GB SD card?
I'm wondering what Amazon reviewers have to say about it.

Have you tried the microSD in another LG 840G just to eliminate the phone from being the problem?
The microSD is a PNY. But I don't think it is necessarily the microSD's fault -- could be a worm or virus infection.

Before I re-formatted, I copied most files and folders to a backup. Several music files were corrupted and would not transfer,
so I suspect perhaps a worm or virus had corrupted them, I had been hearing noise in these files for awhile when playing them,
and the phone hung up trying to play one of those songs. None of the other files seem to have been affected.

After the re-format, the microSD worked as it should.

tfuser19

@DoctorM,
If it was a worm or virus, I wonder why the microSD worked in your PC?

I don't think I've read about worms or viruses affected the Java phones before.

Glad you got it working again.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@tfuser19
I don't really know why or how the music files were corrupt. A worm or virus was just a guess.

tfuser19

@DoctorM,
I think maybe the microSD is going bad.

I forgot about this program h2testw which tests media for defects:
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/h2testw-checks-damaged-usb-sd-card-for-read-and-write-errors/

I would suggest downloading a copy, moving everything off your microSD, and testing the whole thing.
Best thing would be to do it now and find out if the microSD has other bad areas on it.

I think this is the best place to download it from - it's written by a German, but if you google it, you'll find
numerous references to this software:
http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.heise.de/software/download/h2testw/50539

ST Dog

I have an MP3 player that has bad flash.
Files start to corrupt after a few days/weeks.

I would just copy all the files back over and it's be good for a while, then I'd get a corrupt file again. Repeat.

Maybe the card has a similar problem? They are both flash (NAND flash usually)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

tfuser19

Anybody need some spare LG840Gs for dirt cheap?
2 fer $100 with 600min/90days each + other goodies .....
Vanilla or Zebra?
http://www.hsn.com/products/lg-840-2pk-no-contract-smartphones-tracfone-service/7307953
http://www.hsn.com/products/lg-840-2pk-no-contract-smartphones-tracfone-service/7300047

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
October 17, 2013, 2:41 pm
@tfuser19
I don't really know why or how the music files were corrupt. A worm or virus was just a guess.
Doubtful regarding a virus, Doc. Corrupt can mean a lot of things.
When you plug your lg into the pc do you have any programs set up to sync or update the files?

Also, maybe set computer to show all files and folders and then check to see if you have any stragglers in any
of the folders. assuming it happens again. I know that you have already formatted so it's irrelevant.

But do check your default settings for handling media files (to include default actions for mass storage devices).

The one thing that I like about this device was the music player. Once i got up to around a thousand songs the file
manager wouldn't read the folders so then they always showed blank as if there were nothing in them. The music
player itself could see them though. I assume it was because I had thousands of baseball pictures and video from
juniors tournaments so just accepted it as a loss and moved on.

Was a good music player, I'll give it that much.

Tech
Member Avatar

tfuser19
October 18, 2013, 2:45 am
Anybody need some spare LG840Gs for dirt cheap?
2 fer $100 with 600min/90days each + other goodies .....
Vanilla or Zebra?
http://www.hsn.com/products/lg-840-2pk-no-contract-smartphones-tracfone-service/7307953
http://www.hsn.com/products/lg-840-2pk-no-contract-smartphones-tracfone-service/7300047
Heh. Not me. I'm waiting on a 4.5'' screen for Android. Thanks though.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@rfuser19
Great little program. Thanks for the links.

The PNY tested OK -- No errors.

That eliminates a failing microSD as the problem and increases the probability of malware.

@tech
Here are some links on the issue of malware in cellphones, including feature phones and Java2ME:

http://cosec.bit.uni-bonn.de/fileadmin/user_upload/teaching/10ws/10ws-sem-mobsec/talks/shekow.pdf

http://kschang.hubpages.com/hub/Do-Smartphones-Get-Viruses-Why-iPhones-Android-Phones-and-

You can find more by googling "malware vruses worms on SD cards in cell phones"

Here is a link for malware protection for Java2ME -- I have not tried it, and the fact that it is "free" makes me hesitant to try it.
But if anyone does try it, please report back your experience:

http://download.cnet.com/Charav-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-75605105.html

Most likely source for malware on the LG 840G is downloading "free" apps and games.

ST Dog

DoctorM
October 18, 2013, 5:12 am
@rfuser19
Great little program. Thanks for the links.

The PNY tested OK -- No errors.

That eliminates a failing microSD as the problem and increases the probability of malware.
Not really. Flash can fail in different ways.

So it would hold the data long enough for the test, but what happens days/weeks later?

tfuser19

ST Dog
October 18, 2013, 8:44 am
Not really. Flash can fail in different ways.

So it would hold the data long enough for the test, but what happens days/weeks later
@DoctorM,
If I was to guess, I think it's a flash going bad vs a virus. Please keep us posted and watch for microSD sales. ;)

al840

Hi:

I'm a Tracfone user. Does anyone know of a way around the 20 internal playlist (stock music player) limitation on
the 840G? .. I previously had the 800G and had playlists for all 50 CD's stored on the SD card. Have the same 50
CD's (same SD card, moved the files to the appropriate "Audio" folder) but got to the 21st CD and hit New Playlist
and got "Only 20 internal playlists available" message.

Love the phone otherwise.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@al840
Sounds like you are making a separate playlist for every CD... If that is the case, it is not really necessary to make a
play list as a CD usually is also a unique album, and if not, you can edit the header to make the album name unique,
then sort on album and play the whole album. (Music > All Songs > Album < Tap the album play button).

al840

DoctorM
October 19, 2013, 8:56 pm
@al840
Sounds like you are making a separate playlist for every CD... If that is the case, it is not really necessary to make a
play list as a CD usually is also a unique album, and if not, you can edit the header to make the album name unique,
then sort on album and play the whole album. (Music > All Songs > Album < Tap the album play button).
Thanks Doctor.

The phone wasn't recognizing the headers correctly, which is why I was making playlists.

I've converted all of the ID3 tags to version 2.3 (previously the tags were version 2.2 and lower) and now the
headers are all read and interpreted correctly.

For any iTunes users having this same problem, in iTunes just select and check all tracks you need to convert,
right-click and select "Convert ID3 tags". Select version at least 2.3 and click OK. Then recopy the files to your phone.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Quote:

Jimsc .... October 21, 2013, 9:27 am

How to put GPS in LG 840G?
The LG 840G does not have GPS capability.

But if you install Google Maps (J2ME version) you can get a pseudo-GPS location from Google Maps which uses pings
off nearby towers to triangulate a position... Those pings will cost you minutes on 3G, and can't be accomplished using
just WiFi.

You have to be in range of cell towers, and it is not as accurate as GPS, but it is much better than nothing, and often
good enough for search and rescue.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

The LG 840G with 1400 minutes & 1 year is on sale again on HSN for $99 -- black face with choice of backs.

http://www.hsn.com/products/lg-no-contract-touchscreen-smartphone-with-1400-minutes/7081920

HSN also offers the LG 840G in a 2-pack (white & black, or 2 blacks) with 600 minutes for $149.

al840

DoctorM
October 22, 2013, 4:18 pm
The LG 840G with 1400 minutes & 1 year is on sale again on HSN for $99 -- black face with choice of backs.

http://www.hsn.com/products/lg-no-contract-touchscreen-smartphone-with-1400-minutes/7081920

HSN also offers the LG 840G in a 2-pack (white & black, or 2 blacks) with 600 minutes for $149.

I just bought the 840g at qvc.com.

$79.96 Triple minutes for life. 1450 minutes and 14 months. They currently have black. Previously they had white.
Standard back cover plus choice of cheap colored or patterned back cover, charger, 2gb sdhc micro.

Sprocketman

I want to set up my SD card so the phone sees only about half of it, and I can stash other data on the other half
without slowing down my boot time. Has anybody done that? Can I just partition the card to do it? If so, what do
I name the partition I want the phone to see?

Thanks.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Sprocketman
October 22, 2013, 11:46 pm
I want to set up my SD card so the phone sees only about half of it, and I can stash other data on the other half
without slowing down my boot time. Has anybody done that? Can I just partition the card to do it? If so, what do
I name the partition I want the phone to see?

Thanks.
The LG 840G does not need a microSD card to boot. To my knowledge, the microSD card isn't read at boot time other
than to see if it is inserted or not. Until you access something on it, such as a game, app, picture, or music, it isn't read.
The first time (after a boot) that you access a folder in the microSD card, such as music, the phone will index that folder,
but not other folders you are not accessing. So the microSD card should not affect your boot time.

If you have a different experience, please let us know.

I haven't ever tried partitioning a microSD card. If you are successful, let us know. But I don't think you need to partition
it for the purpose you propose... Just create a folder on the microSD card, call it anything you want, and put any type of
file (and sub-folders) in it that you wish. The phone won't try read anything in it unless you access the folder through the
File Manager. And then if it can't open a file, it will simply respond with an "Unsupported File Type" message.

ST Dog

Sprocketman
Can I just partition the card to do it? If so, what do I name the partition I want the phone to see?
I would assume it's acts like windows and will only see the first partition. Name doesn't matter.

But you'd have to try it to see.

Problem is, how would you use the other half of the card then?
You'd have to change the partition type so windows/the phone ignored it and looked at the 2nd partition.

Doc, you sure that it doesn't index the card at boot?

My S390G does.

The LG 500G didn't and it didn't save the index either. Had to do it every time you started the mp3 player.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

ST Dog
October 23, 2013, 6:30 pm
Sprocketman
Can I just partition the card to do it? If so, what do I name the partition I want the phone to see?
I would assume it's acts like windows and will only see the first partition. Name doesn't matter.

You'd have to change the partition type so windows/the phone ignored it and looked at the 2nd partition.

My S390G does.

The LG 500G didn't and it didn't save the index either. Had to do it every time you started the mp3 player.
I'm pretty sure the LG 840G doesn't read the microSD card at boot, except to note whether it is there or not. I have a
.pdf file in a folder I created, which is an unsupported file type, and I don't get any error message on boot, but I will
when I try to open that file. There are other files in another folder I created, and it also has unsupported file along with
supported file types. I am very positive the OS is not trying to read those user-created folders on boot.

Someone on this topic complained their phone re-indexed the music folder every time the music player was accessed.
However, on my my LG 840G, the indexing only happens the first time I access the music player (after a cold boot).
After that, the index (sort on name) pops up immediately on activating the music player. Now if I want to do a search
by first letter, it will re-sort, but not if I just cursor down the list that pops up.

Anyway, I have user-created folders on my LG 840G, and I do not notice any prolonged boot time because of it.

Tarkio101

Not sure how long it will last, but HSN is airing the LG 840 with 1500 minutes for 69.95... Good deal for the minutes.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
October 25, 2013, 12:34 am
Not sure how long it will last, but HSN is airing the LG 840 with 1500 minutes for 69.95... Good deal for the minutes.
Here is the link for the deal: http://www.hsn.com/products/lg-840-no-contract-smartphone-tracfone-service/7309802?

hrhenry

tracmac
October 1, 2013, 7:55 am
Tech
September 28, 2013, 7:42 pm

When you go to play a YouTube video, a pop-up of sorts warns about possible extra charges (not an issue for me - only been doing this on WiFi) if you wish to open a link that always seems to start with "global-4-lvs-colossus.opera-mini.net".

There's a good possibility that others are unaware that this pop-up window is actually the native TF browser, even tho it's pretty obvious once you've seen it enough times.
I wonder if some of the earlier posts stating they couldn't even do this was due to either an earlier version of Opera Mini or an earlier firmware release (mine's at V10b).

Some might have also noticed that when the video completes, the default browser is still left open, with Opera Mini still running behind it. Once you close out the default browser, I get a second confirmation message asking to close Opera. I choose "Cancel" and continue on my way.

Somewhat related, this suggests that the phone is actually capable of doing some multitasking that Tracfone disables in its OS. I suspect it has to do with the different languages each program is written in, much like a first gen iPhone, but I'm no programmer, so it's a wild guess. As a little test, I fired up the mp3 player, then Opera Mini, letting the mp3 player continue on in the background. I then went to youtube, played a video, which opened up the default browser, clicked on the "stream video" link. The mp3 player stopped producing audio, but did not quit. When the video finished, the mp3 player resumed and returned me to the default browser. I quit the browser, returning me to Opera Mini.

I know it'll never happen, but it s nice to know that the OS could at least technically be updated to allow for more multitasking. I know... I'm dreaming. Part of me just thinks "I'll get one of the new android phones", but I like my gsm coverage too much, so that'll have to wait. Plus, the LG 840G is solid hardware. I'll try and use it as long as I can.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tech
Member Avatar

hrhenry,
I think the ability to watch the videos came from an update with opera mini itself. That's just a guess but I could be wrong.

I believe you're right about the multi-tasking but to be fair, there is a minimal bit of multi-tasking that can actually be done which I guess was OK considering the demograph for these devices.

I'm using Windows Phone now but if a bigger Tracfone Android comes along I'll grab one. Not a fan of Android on small screen devices and then there are some issues I've read about regarding these ones everyone jumped on so quickly. ZTE doesn't seem bad but still a small device for my liking.

I can wait. Not keen on LG though just because the infrastructure and UI is similar looking on the one that I'm waiting on to show up so don't know what exactly is locked down and what isn't. Can't really trust every review since most basically just review bells and whistles as opposed to nuts and bolts. I also couldn't stand that purple theme on the lg 840g and I think the one I'm hoping will come to Tracfone has it. I know it's nit picking but that bugged me to no end. I like a nice black theme. Something that minimal will make me not buy it. Screwy, huh?

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
October 23, 2013, 8:27 pm
ST Dog
October 23, 2013, 6:30 pm
Sprocketman

My S390G does.

I'm pretty sure the LG 840G doesn't read the microSD card at boot, except to note whether it is there or not. I have a
.pdf file in a folder I created, which is an unsupported file type, and I don't get any error message on boot, but I will
when I try to open that file. There are other files in another folder I created, and it also has unsupported file along with
supported file types. I am very positive the OS is not trying to read those user-created folders on boot.

Someone on this topic complained their phone re-indexed the music folder every time the music player was accessed.
However, on my my LG 840G, the indexing only happens the first time I access the music player (after a cold boot).
After that, the index (sort on name) pops up immediately on activating the music player. Now if I want to do a search
by first letter, it will re-sort, but not if I just cursor down the list that pops up.

Anyway, I have user-created folders on my LG 840G, and I do not notice any prolonged boot time because of it.
It does if the phone was plugged into the computer or wall charger prior to boot, for sure. As well, it has to access the file system in some way even if it wasn't plugged in. I timed it once. It took several minutes for each menu to open. Several minutes for videos and pictures to load and then several minutes for each area of the music player...artist, album, all songs...took forever.

hrhenry

Tech
October 28, 2013, 3:35 am
I believe you're right about the multi-tasking but to be faitr, there is a minimal bit of multi-tasking that can actually be done which I guess was OK considering the demograph for these devices.
Yeah, that's why I kind of likened it to a first gen iPhone. It had about the same amount of multitasking (could play music and surf, have email and alarm running in the background, answer calls then return to app, etc.)

The LG 840G can do all that out of the box. What i found interesting was that you could actually have two browsers open at the same time, even though you couldn't swap back and forth between them. Opera Mini stays running behind the default browser when watching a youtube video.

yogi

I just switched 800's for 840's for the wife and I, got our time and old number transferred over. We like the improvements over the 800. But now we have started to use them and we can't hear incoming volume, even when set at 7, same is true if playing the mp3 player,very low compared to the 800. If I cant hear in my quiet house, I know this isn't going to work for us in public/car. I've reviewed at lot of forums, I don't hear anyone complaining about this. Anybody else had an issue or know a fix? I really don't want to go back to my 800 or deal with the hassle of getting my time pushed back to the old phone.

oceans3101

840G Volume
Go to sound settings, Ringtone, Volume, Set to 7, and hit play, is it loud?
Then Ringtone, Alert Type, Set to ring, or ring and vibrate.
Then scroll down on Ringtones to increasing volume and make sure it is not selected.
Then on your home screen always leave the home screen in widget or contacts.
Shortcuts is a problem on this phone and if left in shortcuts an incoming call will always ring in increasing volume.

Urge

I thought I remembered reading about a way to either block calls or give unwanted callers a silent ringtone on the LG840G. I have searched here and there and everywhere but I can't find anything. Am I disremembering or is there a way to block or blacklist or use a silent ringtone on unwanted calls for the LG 840G?

As long as I'm asking questions, has anyone found a way to read text files on the LG 840G?

Well, it was very frustrating but I managed to associate a silent ringtone with one of the groups. If I put a contact that was in the general contact list into a group can I delete them from the alphabetical list of contacts and they will still be in the group listing? Alright, I answered my own question, if you delete them from the alpha list they are gone from groups also. I am trying to stop spam and telemarketer calls but I really don't want to leave them in the general listing, does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Urge

Snacktime
Member Avatar

yogi
November 1, 2013, 2:35 pm
I just switched 800's for 840's for the wife and I, got our time and old number transferred over. We like the improvements over the 800. But now we have started to use them and we can't hear incoming volume, even when set at 7, same is true if playing the mp3 player,very low compared to the 800. If I cant hear in my quiet house, I know this isn't going to work for us in public/car. I've reviewed at lot of forums, I don't hear anyone complaining about this. Anybody else had an issue or know a fix? I really don't want to go back to my 800 or deal with the hassle of getting my time pushed back to the old phone.
Yogi: Did you put a (no hole) screen cover over the speaker? I remember someone having an issue with that.

yogi

Thank you all for your input. My wife is going to be very happy that "I" figured it all out. I cant believe it was the screen protector, I guess thats why no one else was complaining because they weren't quite as cheap as I, and used the correct protector. And I actually have the right ones which came with a silicon holder I ordered. So the good thing about the corrected bad thing is that I found all of you and this forum. Thanks again for saving me...

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Urge
November 1, 2013, 3:22 pm
I thought I remembered reading about a way to either block calls or give unwanted callers a silent ringtone on the LG840G. I have searched here and there and everywhere but I can't find anything. Am I disremembering or is there a way to block or blacklist or use a silent ringtone on unwanted calls for the LG 840G?

As long as I'm asking questions, has anyone found a way to read text files on the LG 840G?

Well, it was very frustrating but I managed to associate a silent ringtone with one of the groups. If I put a contact that was in the general contact list into a group can I delete them from the alphabetical list of contacts and they will still be in the group listing? Alright, I answered my own question, if you delete them from the alpha list they are gone from groups also. I am trying to stop spam and telemarketer calls but I really don't want to leave them in the general listing, does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Urge
The LG 800G had a "reject all unknown callers" and a "reject all unknown numbers" settings, and you could make a group and give it no ringtone (you wouldn't hear the call.) But the LG 840G does not have these features.

Just curious as to how you made a "silent" ringtone? Did you just record silence. and use it as a ringtone?

As for text files. The LG 800G had a very good built-in document reader (Picsel) which read all sorts of file formats. The LG840G does not have a document reader, but it will read pure text files (.txt). It won't read Word or PDF files.
Someone reported a browser that would convert PDF files, but the native browser will not (you'll get an "unsupported File Type" error message.)

pacoman

DoctorM
November 2, 2013, 3:38 pm
It won't read Word or PDF files.
Someone reported a browser that would convert PDF files, but the native browser will not (you'll get an "unsupported File Type" error message.)
Actually, you can read at least some PDFs on the 840G using MobilePDF. It won't render the PDFs as you would on a PC, but it will display the text within the document. The version I have is unsigned, so you also have to go through the "Untrusted Midlet" dialogue a number of times to get it to work.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

pacoman
November 2, 2013, 10:24 pm
DoctorM
November 2, 2013, 3:38 pm
It won't read Word or PDF files.
Actually, you can read at least some PDFs on the 840G using MobilePDF. It won't render the PDFs as you would on a PC, but it will display the text within the document. The version I have is unsigned, so you also have to go through the "Untrusted Midlet" dialogue a number of times to get it to work.
You can also convert .doc and .pdf files to .txt files, but you lose most formatting and all graphics when you do that. Still, if for some reason you wanted such a text document in the phone, it can be done.

rich_l

Today is the day to ask about Daylight Savings time, or getting off it. Apt present my 840G is my alarm clock and nothing
else (I went to Android) I don't use it as a phone - how do I get it to correct the time to Standard Time? Thanks

ST Dog

rich_l
November 3, 2013, 10:18 am
Today is the day to ask about Daylight Savings time, or getting off it.
Force it to resync with the tower.
Turn airplane mode on, then off. When it reconnects to the tower it should have the correct time.
Or turn the phone off and back on. Again, it should resync to the tower.

Quote:

I don't use it as a phone - how do I get it to correct the time to Standard Time?
If the phone isn't active, it may not sync.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

rich_l
November 3, 2013, 10:18 am
Today is the day to ask about Daylight Savings time, or getting off it. Apt present my 840G is my alarm
clock and nothing else (I went to Android) I don't use it as a phone - how do I get it to correct the time to
Standard Time? Thanks
Turn the phone all the way off (not just a blank screen), then turn it back on again.

hrhenry

ST Dog
November 3, 2013, 12:32 pm
If the phone isn't active, it may not sync.
My phone is active and I happened to be awake when the sync should have happened. It didn't.
The only way to resync was to reboot the phone.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I decided to move this question here, where it better belongs, maybe someone can help out, thanks - Turk B-)
Lilarose1941
November 1 2013
The Services Guide for the LG 840g I got at HSN with the 1400 minutes (triple in future) doesn't tell me how to use
this phone other than start up stuff. For example, does this phone use apps and if so, how do I get an app onto the
phone?

Also, if I see one of the little boxes in a mag that I can click on to see what they have to offer, obviously I use the
camera and it takes a pic of the box (whatever it is called, like upc or somesuch) then what do I do to get that app
open?

So is there a bigger instrn manual to answer these kinds of questions? How do newbies to phones figure all of this
out? I have a Garmin GPS and I work with it just fine, but I was able to download a manual with most answers.

So I use this phone with wi fi as a plain telephone, don't use it to get online, don't text, but I wondered about apps.
I did buy a song on iTunes but my wifi isn't strong enough I am guessing to get me onto the iTunes site very often.
My calls all over the country go through fine. I live on the South Oregon Coast and took this phone to Whidbey Is,
WA, and four trips to northern CA this summer. ............. Thanks

annepani

@lilarose1941

Here is a link to the online tutorial.
In addition, at the bottom of the left-hand column, there is a link to the full instruction manual.

This link is also contained in the first post or thereabouts for every phone discussed in the Phone Forum.
Next time, look for it there -- for any phone on the Turk Forums, not just this phone.

http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?custId=TFLG840G&locale=en_US

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Lilarose1941
November 1 2013
The Services Guide for the LG 840g I got at HSN with the 1400 minutes (triple in future) doesn't tell me how to use
this phone other than start up stuff. For example, does this phone use apps and if so, how do I get an app onto the
phone?

Also, if I see one of the little boxes in a mag that I can click on to see what they have to offer, obviously I use the
camera and it takes a pic of the box (whatever it is called, like upc or somesuch) then what do I do to get that app
open?

So is there a bigger instrn manual to answer these kinds of questions? How do newbies to phones figure all of this
out? I have a Garmin GPS and I work with it just fine, but I was able to download a manual with most answers.

So I use this phone with wi fi as a plain telephone, don't use it to get online, don't text, but I wondered about apps.
I did buy a song on iTunes but my wifi isn't strong enough I am guessing to get me onto the iTunes site very often.
My calls all over the country go through fine. I live on the South Oregon Coast and took this phone to Whidbey Is,
WA, and four trips to northern CA this summer. ............. Thanks
The user guide that Annepani points to is pretty good. You can also skim through this LG 840G topic and find additional pointers.

APPS: the LG 840G has several built-in apps which are very good. It only will run Java2ME apps that you install, which you can download from several websites, but it doesn't like unsigned apps. There are (in my opinion) only about 100 or so useful, trustworthy java apps, and the rest are crap - designed to phone "home" (to the developer or hacker) and change your minutes to cash in their pocket.

You can download apps directly to the phone, or you can download to the PC first then transfer to the phone by Bluetooth, or use the data cable, or take out the microSD card and insert it in an adapter to your PC.

The LG 840G does not do the little UPC boxes. Some people claim to have found a browser work around, and you can find a discussion in the early pages of the LG 840G topic.

pacoman

There is a mini Tracfone app store where you can purchase games. It can be accessed from the homepage of the stock browser. Also, there are many free apps and games available from boostapps.com , some of which work on the 840G, others don't work.

Two apps that many here seem to use are UC Browser and Opera Mini, both internet browsers and which many prefer over the stock browser. Optimized versions for UC browser can be found at is.gd/uc93ts (type that address into the stock browsers address bar) and for Opera use is.gd/mini71 .

As for UPC reader apps, I suspect that you're actually looking for a QR Reader. QR codes are square boxes that, when scanned, will take you to a particular website. There are at least two QR scanners available which work OK (though, the bigger the QR box, the better), one is Kaywa Reader and the other is NeoReader. Neo Reader, at least, should be available on the boostapps website.

hrhenry

There's also Google Maps, which has been formatted for the LG 840G (specifically, for LG-GD510) with no java keypad.
It works very well, including street view and traffic.
It's version 2.3.2 and has a valid certificate, so you won't get those annoying untrusted messages popping up.

I can't remember where I got the jar file, but I can forward it to anyone that needs it.

pacoman

hrhenry
November 5, 2013, 1:36 pm
I can't remember where I got the jar file, but I can forward it to anyone that needs it.
Probably here - http://boostapps.com/apps/google-maps-2-3-2-signed-touchscreen-version/

tfuser19

Here's an alternate source .......

Google Maps 2.3.2 Signed - Modified version for LG 840G.

watsonk

When I made long distance phone calls from LG840g, there is a voice saying ...
connecting, you have 1997 minutes for this call ... The only problem is that my phone indicates over 2000 minutes left, not 1997 minutes.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

watsonk
November 6, 2013, 11:09 pm
When I made long distance phone calls from LG840g, there is a voice saying ...
connecting, you have 1997 minutes for this call ... The only problem is that my phone indicates over 2000 minutes left, not 1997 minutes.
What are you calling "long distance."

grinfidel

I've been reading this forum since I purchased an LG 840G, and it has been invaluable. Thanks to all who have shared helpful tips and guidance. I am unfamiliar with how to properly post questions or advice here. But I noticed how helpful everyone is, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Anyway, I installed a signed and touchscreen modified version of Google maps 2.3.2 on my phone which works very well except it doesn't show my location. I've also installed an unsigned version of Google maps 3.0.2 which does show my location, but has those annoying untrusted midlet errors. I am curious if anyone knows of a version of Google maps 2.3.2 where "my location" works or might know how to find a signed version of Google maps 3.0.2?

Maybe I'm missing something in the configuration or the area I live in (Denver) that doesn't allow non-GPS phones to ping towers. I've heard of version 2.3.2 working with finding "my location" for some. I've also read where people have attained a signed version of Google maps 3.0.2 when it was first released. Before Google, as far as I know, stopped supporting java in this manner.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@grinfidel
The LG 840G does not have a GPS capability. Its location capability has to come by triangulation off of nearby cell towers. Google Maps has the capability to do this using 3G - which uses minutes. You can not turn off 3G on the LG 840G, so position acquisition is always available when you access Goggle Maps (unless you are out of range of any cell towers.) Because it is cell tower based, and not GPS, your location won't be as accurate as a real GPS. For example it will show my location in Austin, Texas, but the bulls-eye is located miles from my actual location.

If your modified "signed" copy won't do that (show your location), and you have 3G signal showing on the little signal-strength indicator at the top left of the screen, then it is probably a hacked version. Finding an unhacked, signed copy has been a issue discussed here in this forum. About the best you can do is read back on these pages and try some of the sources listed.

Ctt

Tech
February 19, 2013, 2:36 pm
Urge
February 19, 2013, 12:15 pm
When I first got this phone I loaded up a bunch of tunes and they would play one after the other but now I have to
click next or it just keeps playing the same tune over and over. I can't find any settings to change this behavior.

Yes I know I can make playlists, but shouldn't it play all songs on shuffle-for instance? I think (if I remember correctly)
that I just opened the music player and clicked on a song and it just played thru the list of songs. Can anyone check
if their player plays thru all the songs?

Urge
Pick a song, play it and when it's playing there are 3 very small icons right over your album art. The first one on the
left has 3 settings (each changes per tap). You'll have it as transparent (meaning it will just go to the next song, or
you'll see it showing a looping icon with the number 1 in the middle (which means it will repeat one time, or you'll
see it as a loop icon with an infinite symbol in the middle (which is probably what it's set on).
I've accidentally tapped it before. You'll need to tap it until it's transparent again and all should be well then.
Thank you! It was driving me nuts!

grinfidel

Thank you DoctorM. I think I may have a corrupt version of google maps 2.3.2. I'll try deleting it and installing a different version as discussed earlier in this topic. From what I understand, GPS is using satellite links like my tomtom, and the LG 840G is using pings from cell towers to locate it's approximate position. I would imagine a lot of cell phones use cell towers to locate their position and call it GPS.

I am mostly unfamiliar with most smart phones, but maybe they have the same ability like those made by garmin, tomtom, magellan and such. From what I've seen on more expensive smart phones the map location services are fairly accurate. I don't recall where I found the copy of google maps I'm currently using. I simply didn't consider the particular modified jad and jar files or the site I downloaded them from could be the issue. I appreciate your insight on this.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

It is here again on HSN

HSN LG 840G Special $69.95

Includes 1500 minutes, 1 year, triple minutes, 2GB microSD card, extra colored battery cover,
two chargers (wall and automobile), WiFi, 3G, Bluetooth...

Urge

DoctorM:

The LG 800G had a "reject all unknown callers" and a "reject all unknown numbers" settings, and you could make a
group and give it no ringtone (you wouldn't hear the call.) But the LG 840G does not have these features.

Just curious as to how you made a "silent" ringtone? Did you just record silence. and use it as a ringtone?
Yes, I just recorded silence.

Urge

Snacktime
Member Avatar

Radio Paradise 64k stream shortlink: http://is.gd/rp64k (for default browser on wifi)

Other formats and European servers at: http://www.radioparadise.com/ios-content.php?name=Listen

Edit: That particular stream is hosted on:

http://www.yourmuze.fm/

Apparently Yourmuze streams audio in a format that the default browser can deal with. While nothing else is necessary
for the Paradise Radio link above, with a Yourmuze account many streams are playable on the mobile version of the site.

hrhenry

I use an LG 840G with Opera Mini (7) almost always open with a couple tabs. It's my ghetto way of having
some tiny bit of multitasking with the different tabs, since I'm almost always within range of a WiFi hotspot.

Anyway, I was having trouble finding a decent TV listings java app, so I tried a few of the different listing sites out there.
For whatever reason, Opera Mini almost never is seen as a mobile browser from these sites, and so they load the full site.
Not good, IMO.

TitanTV.com has an excellent mobile site, though, although you have to register with them to be able to use it.
It's got some neat JSS overlays, etc. that fit nicely on the LG 840G's screen.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it. It's proven to be way more useful to me than any other listings site.

weiden1

Hello Everybody: I recently purchased this phone when I decided the Samsung Centura was not gonna work for me. When I went on Amazon alot of peps with the centura said they wished they had kept their LG840 instead so I am gonna try it. I am using the LG800 but have been playing with the 840G (I think the wifi is all I need). Have been using an itouch for several years and sorta know what I'm doing with apple but the Centura button layout just didn't work for me. Luckily, HSN refunded my money (^.^)

So I have been ploughing thru all the pages of this post and found alot of good info. Especially post 1336 from DocM on the google maps. I am only on page 14 so far but want to thank everyone for all the great info.

I don't know what jad and jar are and dont really know if I need them???? Are they separate apps that need to be downloaded to the phone? Thanks Again.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

weiden1
November 15, 2013, 1:14 pm
Hello Everybody: I recently purchased this phone when I decided the Samsung Centura was not gonna work for me. When I went on Amazon alot of peps with the centura said they wished they had kept their LG840 instead so I am gonna try it. I am using the LG800 but have been playing with the 840G (I think the wifi is all I need). Have been using an itouch for several years and sorta know what I'm doing with apple but the Centura button layout just didn't work for me. Luckily, HSN refunded my money (^.^)

So I have been ploughing thru all the pages of this post and found alot of good info. Especially post 1336 from DocM on the google maps. I am only on page 14 so far but want to thank everyone for all the great info.

I don't know what jad and jar are and dont really know if I need them???? Are they separate apps that need to be downloaded to the phone? Thanks Again.
Thanks for the compliment.

.JAR is the form of an app that you would download to your PC, then move to your phone to install. .JAD is a data file that a .JAR file may or may not have. If the app has both a .JAR and a .JAD file you will want to download both, and keep them together in the same folder.

If you are downloading an app directly to your phone, the phone will install it automatically and put it in the right place for you to access it through the GAMES & APPS icon. In that case you don't see the .JAR or .JAD file(s).

But if you load from your PC, then you move both the .JAR and .JAD file to the phone to the OTHER FILES folder. You then access that folder through the FILE MANAGER icon, and select it, and there should be then a button to install. You only install the .JAR file. The .JAR file will access the .JAD file as it needs during installation. After the installation you will not need the .JAR or .JAD files again, and you can delete them.

tfuser19

weiden1,
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JAD_%28file_format%29 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JAR_%28file_format%29 for the details.

Basically, if you want to install Java applications that are currently not on the phone, such as Opera Mini web browser or Google Maps, then you want to install signed versions of those apps whenever possible.

In order to install a signed Java application, you always need the JAD file for that app. The JAD file contains security certificate information and information on where the phone installer can install the JAR file from if it's not on the phone, so both the JAD and JAR files are needed to install the application and they work as a pair.

On way to install apps and save phone airtime is to download the JAD and JAR files for an app to your PC, then either use Bluetooth or a USB cable to get them onto your phone. From there, if you click on the JAD file using the phone's file explorer, it should install the application to your phone.

Some apps will not install that way, and must be installed from your phone using the mobile network.

You can also download and install apps using WiFi to save mobile airtime.

I hope that helps a bit.

weiden1

OK, so I don't install the Jar or Jad by themselves on the phone. It is the file extension I would choose to install an app. (??) I did download Google Maps using wifi. Google seems to think I am in Michigan even though I am in Arizona. Is this because the phone is not yet activated??

I'm not gonna try to have it work as a tablet but I thought if I can use the wifi ability then I wouldn't have to carry both my trac and itouch. The Centura got lousy reception where I live even though an old LG220C that I have as a backup (and am able to activate easily) gets really good reception. Most peps here in Tucson have verizon smart phones but I was not impressed.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@weiden1
Because it pings off of cell towers, Google maps can't "find" you until you activate the phone.

Tech
Member Avatar

I've never had to have both a jad and a jar. Ever. When I installed google maps way back when all I used was a jad. Same with opera mini signed. I just uploaded the jad to dropbox and sent a link to my phone's email and installed from there. Did not need a jar.

hrhenry

Tech
November 15, 2013, 6:07 pm
I've never had to have both a jad and a jar. Ever. When I installed google maps way back when all I used was a jad. Same with opera mini signed. I just uploaded the jad to dropbox and sent a link to my phone's email and installed from there. Did not need a jar.
Sometimes you can tell within the jad file itself where the jar file is located - it's just a text file that can be opened by any text editor. There is a parameter called "MIDlet-Jar-URL" which lists where the jar file is located. Sometimes it will list a full URL, other times it will list just the relative URL - it'll be important to have both jad and jar file in that case.

jima

I just bought an 840g from HSN. Couldn't pass up the deal because I couldn't have purchased the minutes that cheap. But there are some things I preferred on the 800g. I liked the dark theme, distinctive ring tones for individuals and how it would load a picture I assigned to them full screen when they called.

Also, I am having a heck of a time getting used to the capacitive screen. I keep opening, or selecting things, that I don't intend to. It seems like I will never get used to it, and I get tired of having to be so careful and still having to try to do things several times before I get it right. I am hoping some of you went through the same things when you first encountered this type of screen, otherwise I'm in trouble. I keep telling myself to be patient and it will come.

But the main thing I want to ask about is the wifi. This is the main reason I switched from the 800g. Unfortunately I have a Belkin N150 router and I can't get it to connect. I know there were a couple of people in here who mentioned they had the same problem. They resolved it by getting a new router. I really don't want to go that route though because this one works fine with my Roku device. I would like to play with wifi, but If I have to buy a new router just to do so, it kind of blows the affordable appeal of having a tracfone out the window.

So my question is, has anyone been able to connect with wifi to a belkin router? (I have n150) or have you heard of anyone who has been able to? Belkin tech support is running me around in circles with resets, new passwords etc. If any one has, then at least I know there is a chance of getting it to work. I don't understand why the Roku has no problem, and if you get the ssid right and the security code - it should connect?

Finally, I wonder if it has anything to do with the operating system the 840 uses, rather than say, an Android. Does anyone one have, or know of someone who has, a Android phone that connect to belkin with wifi?

3 users reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.