Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up here -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have total access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) LG 840g Phone Topic
Topic Started: September 23, 2012, 11:41 pm (185,982 Views)
Leticron

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts, or questions on this phone, please post it all here... thanks.

* Here is the Tracfone LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?
* Here is the Net10 LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sbratcher
September 6, 2013, 2:28 pm
I've looked and looked on here but can't find how to access point on my 840g to WLAN. Can you or someone help???
If your Internet router provides WiFi, go with Doc's description.
If you added your own WiFi device like I did you get the login info from the appr. configuration page...
(for Linksys it's 192.168.1.1 D-Link and Netgear use 192.168.0.1. Belkin and SMC normally use 192.168.2.1 in
your browser) Make sure SSID Broadcast is enabled, otherwise the LG won't see the accesspoint.

If you tell me make and model of any such device I could give you more detailed instructions.
-le
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Leticron

jflusche
September 6, 2013, 2:36 pm
I just purchased an LG 840g phone and transferred all time and minutes successfully.
I have much to learn. One is how to add apps to the phone... Can someone help me?

Joanne Flusche
The hardest part is to find apps that work correctly and do what you'd like them to (you could google J2ME apps).
Once you found some, download them to your computer (as .jar files) and transfer them to your phone to the
"Other Files" folder (you might as well create a new folder).

On your phone you go into the File Manager and tap the Memory card symbol (top right).
In "Other Files" you now find your apps. click them then click "Download" (which should be named "Install") that's it.

To use you newly installed apps: The installed ones you'll find when you click the "Games&Apps" Icon.
The newest installation is always on the top of the list (at least if you sort by date, like I do that is). :)

I suggest, to move those Apps you'd like to keep to your Memory card to safe phone memory (through the paper
icon top right/Move to). .. BTW: once an app is installed you could delete it from "Other Files" to save space. ;)

-le

UncleStu

I still haven't tried to install any apps or the Opera browser - cluck cluck! ;)
Here's a note on the few LG 840G goodies I've ordered.

*Screen Protector- Got the Guarmor brand thru evilbay, getting it on *Right* is gonna be very tuff. I finally ruined
one last night trying to get it on, big problem is dust bubbles. Other than that they seem to be 1st rate, but sure
wish I'd ordered more than just 2 of 'em now! Gonna try again tonight, but *after* the air cond has been turned
off for 2 or 3 hours. I've noticed the screen seems to be glass- these things may not be needed at all.

*USB cord- ordered the one from Amazon. it's perfectly serviceable & seems to be decent quality.
If you need one, for $3 total, this will do.

*Case- The phone seemed hard to hang on to, both thinner(front to rear) and slicker than my old Motorola.
I didn't want to drop & ruin it. The black on black can disappear all too easily in dark places too - had a fair
amount of trouble with that on my old phone. I looked around quite a bit & finally ordered this:
http://www.amazon.com/LG-840G-LG840G-Silicone-Accessory/dp/B00CF3AZT6/ref=pd_sim_cps_1

The fit is- I hate to use this word, but it's true- *Perfect*. All holes are there and perfectly aligned- camera lens,
headphone jack, microUSB, microphone, speaker, Light? Proximity? sensor- every single one of 'em. Ditto for
the button covers, both dead-on & 100% functional & easy working. The phone is much easier to hold now.

Overall thickness is increased to about 5/8 inch.. The yellow is the silicone rubber, the black(matte finish exterior
but not rubberized) is the hard plastic 2-pc shell. Comes in *Lots* of colors, but this one was the cheapest I found
by ~$2. It was also my 1st choice in colors, like a yellow-handled pocketknife it'll be easy to spot if it's still there to
be found. Note: prices vary by about $3 on this one so choose seller carefully.. I ordered from Town Shop, ymmv.

Joeb84

I'm thinking of upgrading to the LG 840g.

Right now I have the LG 800g and texting is SO SLOW, especially if I attach a photo... Is the 840g faster?

I use Tracfone service. TIA

tfuser19

Joeb84,
The LG 840G is much better, includes WiFi, and is on the 3G network - so texting with pictures will be faster. Buy it.

Joeb84

Thank you.

Tarkio101

I've had both and the 800g is not nearly as good as the 840g. Nearly everything's significantly better on the 840.
Screen is brighter and better looking, not to mention the touch being 10x better. WiFi and 3g are great too.
I have really, really enjoyed the LG 840g.

tfuser19

LG 840G crashes/restarts itself. Has anyone else experienced this? It happened today and has happened in
the past multiple times.

Today I was reading an email via the built-in email client. The email had a URL, so the built-in web browser
came up after I clicked the link and selected connect.

I think I was scrolling down the web page, when suddenly the screen turned white, and phone restarted itself.
I just repeated the process of reading the email/clicking the link, and of course it's fine this time.

I've had similar occurrences in the past, just using the web browser, or doing other things I don't exactly recall.
I've also had this happen with my Samsung S390G occasionally.

Having said all that, for considering the price of the phone/service and how infrequently the problems occurs,
I still recommend these phones and I'm not leaving until there's a better valued package out there. :)

tfuser19

@Leticron,

-_- So after writing below, then I had a need to download an convert a Youtube video to be able to store/play it
on my LG 840G and S390G (fortunately the same format/file works for both phones). -_-

I've been playing with software from Freemake Video Converter and DVDVideoSoft. So far, I think I like Freemake
Video Converter better.

Leticron and everyone else: What do you use and do you know if it supports downloading from Youtube and converting?
Leticron
September 2, 2013, 9:05 pm
tfuser19
September 1, 2013, 9:51 am
What's the length of a typical long video that you can convert then play on the LG 840G and about how big is the file?
Just wondering.

The conversion process to play videos on the LG 840G seems too time consuming for me when I can just pick up
my S390G and play the video with it, so I don't see myself doing any conversions anytime soon.
Well I don't really care much about youtube. So far I converted 2 Seasons of Supernatural which takes about
5-10 minutes per show (but that largely depends on your computer).
Mine run's 24/7 anyways and those conversions run as background process.

Size is roughly 4.5 GB per season (23 shows a 50 minutes) I grabbed a 16 GB micro SD card so I'm good.
But you're right why bother if you can just pick up the other phone. :)
-le

Papagene

I just bought the LG 840g. What do I need to download for it. I hope this is the correct place to ask this question.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Papagene
September 12, 2013, 5:27 pm
I just bought the LG 840g. What do I need to download for it. I hope this is the correct place to ask this question.
You don't NEED to download anything for it. It comes with a variety of built-in apps that make it a multi-functional device.

On the other hand, many users (I am not one of them) elect to download other internet browsers to surf the web.
I personally don't think it is necessary, but nothing prevents you from doing it.

The phone only comes with one or two games, so if you like playing different games on the phone, you might want
to download some more games (java2ME only - no android or apple apps).

You might want to download Google Maps (java2ME signed version). The phone does not have a GPS, but it can
do triangulation by pinging nearby towers (will cost you minutes.)

Papagene

Thanks Doctor M... I will leave it alone for awhile.

Tarkio101

Papagene
September 12, 2013, 7:17 pm
Thanks Doctor M... I will leave it alone for awhile.
Over time, you may discover things that you want to be able to do, for which the phone doesn't offer a function.
Then, you may want to look at downloading something new for the phone. As long as it's working for you, and
you can do everything you want to do, you should be good. It's a pretty functional phone as it comes.

If there is anything in particular that you want to do and don't know how, feel free to post and someone here most
likely can help.

tfuser19

Papagene
September 12, 2013, 5:27 pm
Papagene,
Depending on what you plan to do with your phone, you might want to try the UC browser and Opera Mini browser.
I strongly prefer the UC browser over any other browser I've tried.

Check out this site for installing UC browser (modified JAD) on the LG 840G. Be aware that UC browser is written by
a company based in China.

Here's the similar link for Opera Mini modified for the LG 840G.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Just received another white LG 840G from HSN (this one for my oldest daughter.)

For whatever reason I couldn't activate online, but calling the (800) 876-5753 problem resolution number, I had
no waiting time, and the number and minutes transferred from her old phone and activated in two minutes...
The number showed up immediately, and the time and minutes showed up about two minutes later.

I personally have never had a problem that couldn't be expeditiously resolved at this service number, and it makes
me have warm feelings for TracFone. (Its a different story using their overseas call centers, however.)

Activating the HSN minutes and time also went very fast, though it takes longer to show up on the phone.

tfuser19

@DoctorM,
Was it just simple activation, port from another Tracfone ... or what?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ tfuser19
Port from another TracFone

tfuser19

DoctorM
September 13, 2013, 9:30 pm
@ tfuser19
@DoctorM,
There seems to be a trend in the last week of 3 to 4 people that I've read about having their website transfers not
complete successfully ..... that's very disturbing.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ tfuser19
I never have been able to do much on line. I maintain about eight phones in my TracFone account, and I have no
problem adding minutes, but transferring number and minutes to a new phone has always required a phone chat.

Leticron

The only thing so far I couldn't do online was re-transferring number and minutes from my first 840g after I lost
it back to my old 440. Their website claimed I had to contact service which insisted in sending me another SIM
card even tho I originally received my number on the 440 and later transferred it via website to the 840g. Once
the new 840g arrived, I transferred everything to that phone naturally :) all via web without a hitch.

Leticron

tfuser19
September 10, 2013, 2:57 pm
@Leticron,

-_- So after writing below, then I had a need to download an convert a Youtube video to be able to store/play it
on my LG 840G and S390G (fortunately the same format/file works for both phones). -_-

I've been playing with software from Freemake Video Converter and DVDVideoSoft. So far, I think I like Freemake
Video Converter better.

Leticron and everyone else: What do you use and do you know if it supports downloading from Youtube and converting?
ATM I use VideotoVideo converter but as I said before any decent converter will do as long as you set it up to
convert to mp4 at 320x240.

As for the download from Youtube I use a plugin for the Chrome browser which simply gives me a download
button under each youtube video: Ultimate Youtube downloader

Since Youtube belongs to Google now, they don't really like you using downloaders. Which means you can't
just install it like every other app.

Download it to your computer, open Chrome/Tools/Extensions and drag/drop the downloaded file in there. ;)
If you have any questions or run into any problems just drop me a line.

-le

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Here is a tip I just tried for transferring files from my daughters old LG 800G to her new LG 840G --
just exchange the 800G's 4GB microSD for the 840G's included 2GB microSD.
So far seems to work ok. I'll post an update if any problems develop.

Leticron

DoctorM
September 14, 2013, 1:18 pm
Here is a tip I just tried for transferring files from my daughters old LG 800G to her new LG 840G --
There shouldn't be a problem as long as the mico SD card isn't defective.
When I upgraded my phone from the @GB Micro SD to the 16GB (I've heard that the 32GB sometimes makes
trouble). I simply copied the whole 2GB card onto a folder on my computer and from there onto the new 16GB
card (I have 4.3 TB here so space isn't a problem). :)
-le

Tarkio101

tfuser19
September 14, 2013, 12:41 am
DoctorM
September 13, 2013, 9:30 pm
@ tfuser19
@DoctorM,
There seems to be a trend in the last week of 3 to 4 people that I've read about having their website transfers
not complete successfully ..... that's very disturbing.
I have lost a bunch of minutes as well as my phone number in the past with Tracfone. I have absolutely ZERO
confidence in their ability to handle anything besides an activation. Even then, I prepare myself for repeated
failures and frustrations. I have a new white 840g I just received in the mail, and I am still going to use my last
hundred minutes on the old phone before activation the new one. I will still have to get my number moved to
the new phone, which I am terrified of, but will have to risk it.

I am thinking about just getting a new number for the new phone and using it for a few longer calls to family
who I can tell about the new number, and adding minutes to the old to keep it active so I don't have to risk
losing a phone number again.

I almost feel dumb for using a company which absolutely does not care at all about providing any competent
level of any sort of service. When you consider that America Movil operates in dozens of countries and has
far more wireless customers than Verizon, ATT, and Sprint combined. For them to be providing the worthless
service/support they do for Tracfone really shows what they think of customers. They don't even pretend to
care, lol. But I guess I shouldn't complain, I'm still with them.

On a positive note, the 840g with 1400 minutes is a great deal...

tfuser19

@Tarkio101,
How did you lose minutes in the past - the website? Any specifics?

I've been recommending people use the website to do transfers in order to avoid losing their numbers due to
human error by Tracfone CSRs - now I'm not sure.

If you do use the website, always write down parameter 0 and 30 on both phones - because there is a limit on
how many minutes the website will transfer - so I follow that up with a phone call to transfer the balance via
phone/Tracfone CSR help.
Tarkio101
September 14, 2013, 8:18 pm
I have lost a bunch of minutes as well as my phone number in the past with Tracfone. I have absolutely ZERO
confidence in their ability to handle anything besides an activation. Even then, I prepare myself for repeated
failures and frustrations. I have a new white 840g I just received in the mail, and I am still going to use my last
hundred minutes on the old phone before activation the new one. I will still have to get my number moved to
the new phone, which I am terrified of, but will have to risk it.

I am thinking about just getting a new number for the new phone and using it for a few longer calls to family
who I can tell about the new number, and adding minutes to the old to keep it active so I don't have to risk
losing a phone number again.

I almost feel dumb for using a company which absolutely does not care at all about providing any competent
level of any sort of service. When you consider that America Movil operates in dozens of countries and has
far more wireless customers than Verizon, ATT, and Sprint combined. For them to be providing the worthless
service/support they do for Tracfone really shows what they think of customers. They don't even pretend to
care, lol. But I guess I shouldn't complain, I'm still with them.

On a positive note, the 840g with 1400 minutes is a great deal...

tfuser19

@Leticron,
Once a SIM card has been used, then deactivated - a brand new virgin SIM card is required for some odd reason,
so what you went thru was totally expected... Also good to know your were able to use the website successfully to
do your transfer .... one bit of positive new on that front - how long ago was that?

Also, thanks much for the video converter post ...... I'll have to give that a try. Can you tell me what parameters you
used for video / audio bit rate, etc (if you have to specify those with the software you use) ..... thanks again!

UPDATE: Never mind on answering parameters question ........ this program is smart and specifies all that for you
depending on which phone or device you choose. So which phone or device do you pick when making videos for
the LG 840G?
Leticron
September 14, 2013, 6:33 am
The only thing so far I couldn't do online was re-transferring number and minutes from my first 840g after I lost
it back to my old 440. Their website claimed I had to contact service which insisted in sending me another SIM
card even tho I originally received my number on the 440 and later transferred it via website to the 840g. Once
the new 840g arrived, I transferred everything to that phone naturally :) all via web without a hitch.

tfuser19

@DoctorM,
I think I noticed some extra folders when I did that and it worked for me ..... however they should not cause any harm.
DoctorM
September 14, 2013, 1:18 pm

tfuser19

@DoctorM,
Did you have to call because the number of minutes you wanted to transfer was over the website limit when you
tried using the web?
DoctorM
September 14, 2013, 3:55 am
@ tfuser19
I never have been able to do much on line. I maintain about eight phones in my TracFone account, and I have no
problem adding minutes, but transferring number and minutes to a new phone has always required a phone chat.

annepani

tfuser19
September 14, 2013, 9:26 pm
If you do use the website, always write down parameter 0 and 30 on both phones - because there is a limit on
how many minutes the website will transfer - so I follow that up with a phone call to transfer the balance via
phone/Tracfone CSR help.
The limit is 1100 minutes.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

tfuser19
September 14, 2013, 9:34 pm
@DoctorM,
Did you have to call because the number of minutes you wanted to transfer was over the website limit when you
tried using the web?
DoctorM
September 14, 2013, 3:55 am
@ tfuser19
The TracFone website just doesn't work for me -- can't ever choose the new phone from the list presented (it is always
grayed out. But CS at the problem resolution center has always worked very well (and fast) for me, so no worries from
my part.

Snoozer

My brother has an 840G and he is needing to know if there has been a fix to remove the keyboard from the
bottom of the screen for apps added to the phone... and if so, is there a cheat sheet anyone can provide for
instructions on removing the keyboard? ... Thanks for your help!

Also what is the opinion of the operation of the phone as well?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Snoozer
September 15, 2013, 7:59 pm
My brother has an 840G and he is needing to know if there has been a fix to remove the keyboard from the
bottom of the screen for apps added to the phone... and if so, is there a cheat sheet anyone can provide for
instructions on removing the keyboard? ... Thanks for your help!

Also what is the opinion of the operation of the phone as well?
There are two solutions --
1) Buy apps already modified for the LG 840G (see post 1493 on page 15 of this topic), or

2) Modify apps yourself (browse through the back pages of this thread -- there are numerous discussions on how
to do it.).

Almost everyone posting here praise the phone, considering the price you pay for it (which, depending on where
you source it, can be as low as $0). It is not a smart phone, but it is a damn fine feature phone.

tfuser19

@Snoozer,

Look at this page on how to modify .jad to hide virtual keyboard for LG 840G and other touchscreen phones.

rich_l

Music playlists for the stock music player.

Is there an app I can use to make them on my 'puter and then import them (how, where) to my phone?

Thanks

oceans3101

Here's a video comparing the stock, Opera Mini and RC browsers on 840g.

tfuser19

oceans3101
September 16, 2013, 2:50 pm
Here's a video comparing the stock, Opera Mini and RC browsers on 840g.
@oceans3101,

Here's the link you meant to post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0BZGp4POVY

Leticron

@tfuser19:
I lost my first LG 840g about 4 weeks ago, so I activated the new phone and transferred number and minutes
through the webpage about 3 weeks ago. All went through without a hitch.

As for converting: Since I use a different software than you, I'll check Freemaker for you (in case you use a
different software just tell me which - I probably have it and give you pointers ;) I rarely if ever use presets.

If possible I create my own profile that best meets my needs. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, every MP4 with a
resolution of 320x240 should work in theory...I'll edit this post once Freemaker is finished with acceptable results.

Edit: OK I used the MP4 preset (click on the green arrow left of Android) and modified it like thiis: I left everything
as is just changed Framesize to 320x240 and made sure the video codec was switched from H.264 to MPEG
(otherwise you'll get a green screen). The result was decent and the conversion acceptable fast. If you want you
can also use your own values in the sound area but I didn't see the need for it...it's a phone not a sensourround
studio machine. ;)

By checking the other presets I noticed that the Android profile is almost perfect. The resulting movie doesn't use
the full screen tho, so you might want to alter "Size up to 320x240" to "320x240" try it out and let me know what
you think.

tfuser19

@Leticron,

I tried VideotoVideo converter at your suggestion and I like it the best so far - so just tell me the optimal settings
that you've found for VtoV for LG 840G videos. I think I like it better than Freemaker from what I recall... Let me
know what you think of Freemaker if you decide to try it.
Leticron
September 17, 2013, 5:15 pm
@tfuser19: I lost my first LG 840 about 4 weeks ago, so I activated the new phone and transferred number and
minutes through the webpage about 3 weeks ago. All went through without a hitch.

As for converting: Since I use a different software than you I'll check Freemaker for you (in case you use a different
software just tell me which (I probably have it and give you pointers ;) I rarely if ever use presets. If possible I
create my own profile that best meets my needs. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, every MP4 with a resolution
of 320x240 should work in theory...I'll edit this post once Freemaker is finished with acceptable results.

Leticron

@tfuser19:
In Video2video converter I only change Video Size to 320x240 and that works perfectly for anything I converted (so
far mp4, flv, avi and mpeg) Conversion time is comparable to Freemaker but yeah V2V is my "weapon of choice also.

I'm sure one of the presets there might be working too (like the Blackberry-Mpeg4), I just never bothered to find out. :)
If you find one that works for you, add it to Favorites (right click) and you don't have to hunt for it next time. ;)

-le

marne
Member Avatar

Oh Oh,

My first HUGE disappointment in the LG 840g from my LG 420g flipfone.

I had to make a serious call to where I was confronted with a recording telling me to press keys for Yes or No!

Where are the keys? They disappear after I press call to get the party I dialed.

My landline was down and I had to call for repair service using the Tracfone. What a bummer!

Am I missing something?

WoodyUSSLUCE

UncleStu
August 28, 2013, 1:53 am
*Transfer of minutes, days, & phone #- Since so many minutes are left on my old phone(2389.x at last look), and
there are Many reports of TracFone reps claiming that they can't transfer more than X amount of minutes (600,
700, & 1000 seem to be popular figures), I figure I should just call one of the upper-tier cust svc numbers. I just
recently went through the mill getting access to voicemail again(had no access to it for over 2 yrs- callers could
leave msgs but I couldn't access them) on the Moto, & after much trying on the TF forums had to call. Instead of
calling 800-867-7183 the forum rep gave me, I googled, found & used this #: 800-876-5753. Was on hold for less
than 2 minutes before a rep answered- then things took a while but finally got things squared away. I plan to use
the 876-5753 number again- unless someone here has a better idea?
Thanks for the phone # ! I had used the website to transfer 1000 minutes from my old Nokia 1100b phone and
used that phone number to get my other 4,282 minutes transferred to my LG 840G phone. I should be set for a
long time... I have used TracFone for years and have really built up some minutes on the old phone! B-)

Leticron

@marne: whenever they wait for input you should get a screen with (blue) buttons at the bottom. press/touch the
middle one that reads "Dialpad" (I think that's what its called, I'm not a native english speaker).

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Finally bought cases/covers for all my LG 840G's. My girls like flowery stuff and puff, but I finally found the perfect
case for me:

http://www.amazon.com/Caseology-Rotating-Holster-Tracfone-StraightTalk/dp/B00CL1TVKG/

It is a really masculine, matte black "black ops" style case with a separate holster and a belt clip that doubles as a stand.
Also comes with a stylus that works, and a very handy case opener that will save your fingernails when prying off the LG
840G's back cover.

The above case only comes in matte black for the LG 840G :X , but the same design comes in several colors (red,
blue, white, purple, pink, black) for other phone models, so maybe in the future there will be more color choices. ^o)
Posted Image

marne
Member Avatar

Leticron
September 20, 2013, 8:09 pm
@marne: whenever they wait for input you should get a screen with (blue) buttons at the bottom.
press/touch the middle one that reads "Dialpad" (I think that's what its called, I'm not a native english speaker).
Bless you leticron for your help here.

I shall write this down and hopefully get it to work if it happens again.

DARN those recordings when a person is frantic in need of help. .......... THANKS!

WoodyUSSLUCE

DoctorM
September 21, 2013, 12:05 am
Finally bought cases/covers for all my LG 840G's.
My girls like flowery stuff and puff, but I finally found the perfect case for me:

http://www.amazon.com/Caseology-Rotating-Holster-Tracfone-StraightTalk/dp/B00CL1TVKG/

It is a really masculine, matte black "black ops" style case with a separate holster and a belt clip that doubles as
a stand. Also comes with a stylus that works, and a very handy case opener that will save your fingernails when
prying off the LG 840G's back cover.
Thanks for the link, I have been looking for something like that for my new phone !

rich_l

DoctorM
My girls like flowery stuff and puff, but I finally found the perfect case for me:

Will it fit if my phone is in a gel case/sleeve?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

rich_l
September 21, 2013, 11:06 am
DoctorM

Will it fit if my phone is in a gel case/sleeve?
No -- it is a tight fit as it is. The case is lined with a micro-fiber interior which provides some inherent shock resistance.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Snoozer
September 21, 2013, 7:07 am
Emergency Calls Only! -- Why is this coming up on my LG 840G?

I am getting this a lot lately as when I use a contact or dial a new #.

I am seeing I have 3 bars on my phone so reception shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone having this issue? It seems as Tracfone is ripping me off for paying a service they're not giving!
Might be your carrier, and not necessarily your phone. But just in case, try the universal cure (take out the battery
and reinsert) which solves a lot of problems.

If the condition persists, make sure you have minutes and time. If you run out of time or minutes, then you can only
make emergency calls.

If all else fails, call TracFone (800-876-5753)

Let us know how it turns out.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Doctor M --

Thanks for the tip that you left in the Samsung Galaxy Centura thread regarding your experience with Verizon
coverage... I appreciate it!

Traditionally, we were always told that Verizon has the best coverage in my local area... Well, once I bought my
LG840g, I discovered otherwise. With a Verizon phone, I had to run out into the middle of the side street to have a
phone conversation. With my LG 840g, I have 5 bars of reception throughout the house. No more running outside!

So, I’m not jumping at the first Android that comes along. I'm still very happy with my LG 840g!

Thanks again.

ShadowDancer :)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tfuser19

@Snoozer, So dude, you never answered my post to your question from yesterday in your other thread...

==========
Emergency Calls Only! -- Why is this coming up on my LG 840G?

"Yesterday, 11:31 PM Post #2

Yikes :'( .... I thought that would only happen if the phone was locked, deactivated, or got disabled due to too
many incorrect pin entry attempts. Odd that it's only happening sometimes. How long does it take to clear up so
you can make calls again?

We have three in the household and I've not heard of this issue here, nor have I read about it.

Have you tried rebooting the phone (pulling the battery)?

You should post this in the LG 840G thread too. "
==========

tfuser19

ShadowDancer
September 21, 2013, 12:57 pm
Traditionally, we were always told that Verizon has the best coverage in my local area... Well, once I bought my
LG840g, I discovered otherwise. With a Verizon phone, I had to run out into the middle of the side street to have a
phone conversation. With my LG 840g, I have 5 bars of reception throughout the house. No more running outside!

So, I’m not jumping at the first Android that comes along. I'm still very happy with my LG 840g!
@ShadowDancer,

Did the Verizon coverage map correspond with your low power signal experience and having to run down the
street to make calls? ... Do any neighbors have Verizon CDMA phones and experience the same issue?

Snoozer

@ tfuser19,
I posted the wrong model having issues with, sorry. It is the LG 800G that does it, and I will try taking the battery
out and resetting... As far as minutes and days go, I have plenty on the phone.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

tfuser19
September 21, 2013, 5:51 pm
ShadowDancer
September 21, 2013, 12:57 pm

@ShadowDancer,

Did the Verizon coverage map correspond with your low power signal experience and having to run down
the street to make calls? .. Do any neighbors have Verizon CDMA phones and experience the same issue?
tfuser19 --

The Verizon coverage map shows that my town not only has Verizon 3G coverage, but currently, we are entirely covered with Verizon 4G LTE --not a single white patch in town. And, if I am in the downtown, which is in a river valley, I get 5 bars of reception with Verizon. In fact, I have had 3 CDMA cell phones from 3 different manufacturers over the years. Two of the phones were with Verizon, and the last one has been with Tracfone. The reception has never changed or varied from phone to phone, and I live on a hillside.

At the same time, while I cannot comment on my neighbors' experiences, I can tell you that my cleaning lady has a CDMA Verizon Tracfone, my repairman has a Verizon contract phone, and my furnace person has a Verizon contract (I think) phone, too. None of them can receive calls inside my house. Their phones will ring once, maybe twice, and then go directly to voicemail. And, if they try to answer their calls, there is no one on the other end. In addition, whenever they need to make a call, even standing next to a window, doesn't provide them with a sufficient signal. They have to go outside, down the porch stairs, and stand either on the sidewalk or walk out into the side street.

Moreover, when I mentioned this poor Verizon signal to my hairdresser, she remarked that her mother, who has a Verizon contract phone, but lives on a hillside but in a different part of town, has complained about the exact same situation. To make a phone call on her Verizon phone, she has go out and stand in her street. So, she prefers to use her landline when she is at home.

Consequently, I strongly suspect that we have a Verizon signal reception problem in town. I always felt that the towers hadn't been properly placed. But, I can't say with any certainty that is the issue. It's just that to me, "Can you hear me now?," seems like a bad joke.

ShadowDancer ^o)

Leticron

I just had the worst experience with Tracfone customer service. I was trying to reactivate one of my old phones with a new number for my junior.
Website was a no go since they insist on switching the simcard whenever you reactivate a phone whose number has been transferred.
So I called the number on the webpage and was finally connected to a lady in India or Pakistan (judging by the accent..I used to know a lot of Indians back in GE so I know how they speak English, that's the only reason why I could understand her at all) After asking me about all the numbers (Serial and Sim-ID) she decided I need a new Simcard and start asking me about name, phone number and shipping address then she has me hold to "process the information (what's there to process anyways just send the darn thing you have all the info)
When finally she tells me about an error she gets while doing whatever she did and that she had to transfer me to her supervisor.
All the while I didn't realize that even tho I called a 1-800 number, my airtime is still used.
So now that other clown comes on. speaks better English but askes me all the information I just gave the lady. And don't you know he also tells me about a new Sim card and wants my address etc. Then he also asks for a few minutes to process something.
Both clowns successfully managed to use up the ~38 minutes I had on my phone after that the phone simply cut out and so far I have no confirmation email that the card has been issued.
I never had those problems when I called for a new Simcard from another phone (land line or a different provider)
So it looks to me that they are "forced" to make the customers use up a minimum amount of time in order to "pay" for their "Services".
Honest to goodness if they don't send the card I'll smash all my tracfones with a hammer and go with my son elsewhere where my business is appreciated. I will not waste another dollar on them to give information they already have at least 4 times over (any decent company has their customer info in a database where verification would be done in under a minute) I rather buy new phones even if that's more expensive in the long run. I might only have a minimum wage job ATM but I hate being made a fool of. Those 150-200 bucks for 2 new phones I'll always have.

Sorry for ranting I just hope you never have to go through the same BS
-le

Snoozer

@Leticron - I always hope no one gets treated like you have or like others and me that have experienced the same type of service. As slow as these reps are, i would if i were you; always call from a landline for service with the reps. Most in the other countries don't seem to be ignorant that much but they're always the chance of getting a rookie at their job. I think their main problem is they don't have good communication skills within their company which would serve their customers a whole lot better!!!! In fact maybe someone with TRACFONE will see this statement and act on it to give better service as i have spoken before with up to the 4th chain of command when dealing with issues.

I believe they have very slow computers along with dial-up network processing speeds which give them very good job security!!! After all these people are the company that has contracted with our government for the free cell phones for VLP in America here so i wouldn't be surprised they give those folks better service than customers who actually pay for their service with Tracfone.

I have been on the phone with CS from Tracfone 45 minutes to an hour at least 6-10 times.

TRACFONE WOULD BE BETTER IF THEY ACTUALLY GOT THEIR WEBSITE WORKING FOR SELF SERVICE WHICH WOULD CURTAIL WAIT TIMES AND GIVE TRACFONE A BETTER PROFIT. I AM NO CEO BUT ALSO I AM NO DUMMY BEING IN CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR NEARLY 23 YEARS NOW. EVERYONE COMPLAIN TO THEM; MAYBE THEY WILL SEE AND ACT ON LIKE THEY WANT THEIR COMPANY TO STAY OPEN. I GUARANTEE YOU THEY WOULD CLOSE IF THEY WERE ONLY LEFT WITH THE FREE CELL PHONE PROGRAM WITHOUT NO PAYING CUSTOMERS!!! JUST STATING! wHAT IS TRUE!!!

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@Leticron and @Snoozer

I always use the dispute resolution number in Miami for everything (800) 876-5753.

I always get great service and complete satisfaction. You have to call during their business hours, and always
call from another phone than the one you are calling about, because otherwise they may ask you to do some-
things that will terminate the connection (such as take out the battery, or turn off the phone.)

tracmac

I'm sure there will be more to come as I get better acquainted with my new phone but for now :

Watching YouTube -

Previous postings I've come across stated that only the web browser supplied by TF will allow this.

Anything new on that front ?.

Definitely a no-go on other browsers I've tried so far.

Email SetUp Woes -

I've read previous postings involving issues setting up email accts.

Gmail seems to be one that's pretty finicky.

Is POP still the only way that seems to work correctly with it (Gmail) ?.

I really wanted to set up my Gmail accts with the automatic "push" feature ... but without being able to get things to work with IMAP that's not happening.

On the other hand, after adding a Yahoo acct which is setup with IMAP & push ...

I'm not so sure the lack of push with the Gmail accts is that big of a deal as it proved to be anything but instant ... but quite SLOW to receive mail.

Another oddity I have found :

One of my Gmail accts keeps downloading OLD mail (2+ yrs old) with no rhyme or reason to it. It like it just pulls a certain batch of unrelated emails out of the sky & keeps re-downloading them even tho I keep deleting them from the phone. The other Gmail accts only downloaded some previously read mail the 1st time I checked them. Once I deleted those emails off the phone from those accts ... they have not come back when checking for email again later. Thankfully it appears that 25 is the cutoff number for the older emails. One thing I did try to do is go into the Gmail accts & remove checkmarks for mail labels visible under IMAP. Being things are setup as POP rather than IMAP ... I'm not so sure if the setting really makes a difference or not at this point. Regardless, it's pretty odd that the (1) acct acts funky & the others don't.

Earbud/HeadSet Jack -

Anyone else have to jiggle the plug around a bit to get sound from both the left & right sides ?

Definitely not the earbuds acting up ... they work fine elsewhere.

Piqutchi

Has anyone tried connecting a Bluetooth gamepad to their 840G (or a USB gamepad through a microUSB-to-USB adapter)?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Piqutchi
September 23, 2013, 12:00 pm
Has anyone tried connecting a Bluetooth gamepad to their 840G (or a USB gamepad through a microUSB-to-USB adapter)?
I would hazard a guess that it can't be done (because it would require the LG 840G to have a host (OTG) USB port.
But the proof is in trying it. So if you have a gamepad try it and report back your findings. I don't think it will damage
the phone to try it.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

tracmac wrote:

One of my Gmail accts keeps downloading OLD mail (2+ yrs old) with no rhyme or reason to it. It like it just pulls a certain batch of unrelated
emails out of the sky & keeps re-downloading them even tho I keep deleting them from the phone. The other Gmail accts only downloaded
some previously read mail the 1st time I checked them. Once I deleted those emails off the phone from those accts ... they have not come
back when checking for email again later. Thankfully it appears that 25 is the cutoff number for the older emails. One thing I did try to do is go
into the Gmail accts & remove checkmarks for mail labels visible under IMAP. Being things are setup as POP rather than IMAP ... I'm not so
sure if the setting really makes a difference or not at this point. Regardless, it's pretty odd that the (1) acct acts funky & the others don't.

--------------------------------------------------------

When I initially had to switch my Gmail account from the IMAP to the POP3 setting, I had the problem of Gmail
downloading every email in every folder in my Gmail account to my phone. Since that time, I have not had that
problem. Only new emails are arriving on my phone.

tfuser19

tracmac,
On LG 840G, only POP works for Gmail. I'm not sure if Tracfone broke something on the network related to the
LG 840G, or if it's the phone.

Can anyone here confirm that Gmail worked on the LG 840G with IMAP at one time? It works with IMAP on my
S390G currently.

When I go to Youtube with Opera Mini and click on a video, it brings up the built-in browser to play the video in
3/4" x 1 1/4" little area in the center of the screen.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

tfuser19
September 23, 2013, 5:01 pm
On LG 840G, only POP works for Gmail. I'm not sure if Tracfone broke something on the network related to the

Can anyone here confirm that Gmail worked on the LG 840G with IMAP at one time? It works with IMAP on my
S390G currently.
tfuser19--

When I initially bought my LG 840G, the email app on this phone worked perfectly with my Gmail account using IMAP.
It was only several months later that I unexpectedly could not get the app to bring in new emails from my Gmail account.
I could compose and send out emails, but I could not access new emails through my phone's email app until I changed
the setting to POP3.

Forum member, ge0rge, initially posted about this very problem in this thread several pages back.

Piqutchi

DoctorM
September 23, 2013, 4:19 pm
Piqutchi
I would hazard a guess that it can't be done (because it would require the LG 840G to have a host (OTG) USB port.
But the proof is in trying it. So if you have a gamepad try it and report back your findings. I don't think it will damage
the phone to try it.
I don't have a Bluetooth controller (though I do have a couple Woo Remotes lying around), but I do have a USB gamepad.
I'll try it tonight.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Piqutchi
September 23, 2013, 6:36 pm
DoctorM
September 23, 2013, 4:19 pm
Piqutchi
the phone to try it.
I don't have a Bluetooth controller (though I do have a couple Woo Remotes lying around), but I do have a USB gamepad.
I'll try it tonight.
Oopps -- I didn't notice the "Bluetooth" modifier (Getting old, I guess.)

Bluetooth might work (if it will pair). The LG 840G will pair with my vehicle's hands-free system, and I believe some
have reported pairing an LG 800G with a hands-free system. So a game pad might also pair. Then question would
be what it can do after pairing (if it pairs.).

Keep us posted on your findings.

Piqutchi

Well, I checked last night, and the phone doesn't recognize my USB gamepad at all.

I will try a Wii Remote, then.

Leticron

@Doctor M:
Thank you Doc for that number! If I ever have to call again, I'll use that one from one of the unlimited minutes
Androids we have in the house. I felt safe since it was a 1-800 number and I had almost 40 minutes left.

@Snoozer:
I guess that's the price one pays for outsourcing. I just fail to understand why those guys have to process
ANYTHING on MY time. They had my info incl. Phone number so they could've always called back.

Looks like some companies should review the term service, plus to remind themselves that only happy
customers are returning/continuing customers. I worked in CS before so I know both sides of the deal. ;)
We bend over backwards to make sure, their experience with us was or at least became a positive one.

In fact: someone from TF already acted on said post and contacted me. If this gets resolved now, I'll stay with
TF and even order the new Android phone (which I just found out about. :) If not, I simply shop elsewhere.

In Germany we call that "voting with your feet" (from when the Eastern Germans moved to the West to escape
the Russian sector. Which in turn caused the Russians to build the "Berlin Wall")

jima

There has been speculation that you can order an lg 840 from hsn and then add the minutes to a lg 800 instead.
Can anyone verify if this is true? (it would be cheaper to do this than to buy the 400 min one year card for $100.

I am not sure I will like the 840g over my 800g. I like to have an identifying picture come up when certain people
call and if I understand correctly the 840 doesn't do this.. Also I don't think I would use the wifi much, if at all, and
like the smaller size of the 800. (fits in pocket well)

DoctorM
Member Avatar

jima
September 25, 2013, 8:57 am
There has been speculation that you can order an lg 840 from hsn and then add the minutes to a lg 800 instead.
Can anyone verify if this is true? (it would be cheaper to do this than to buy the 400 min one year card for $100.

I am not sure I will like the 840g over my 800g. I like to have an identifying picture come up when certain people
call and if I understand correctly the 840 doesn't do this.. Also I don't think I would use the wifi much, if at all, and
like the smaller size of the 800. (fits in pocket well)
First you have to activate the phone with TracFone.

Then you have to call an HSN number and input your order number, then the phone number you got from
TracFone, to get the minutes and time added... HSN doesn't know in advance what your phone number is,
but your order number is tied to the phone's serial number.

So it all depends on whether they tie the minutes to the phone's serial number, or just the phone number you
give them. If you try it direct from HSN, let us know how it turns out.

If that doesn't work, then you could just transfer the minutes and time to the LG 800G after you receive the
LG 840G and add the HSN minutes and time to it.

rich_l

jima
I like to have an identifying picture come up when certain people call and if I understand correctly,
the 840g doesn't do this?
Actually, the LG 840g will attach pics to phone numbers, I really like that. B-)

DoctorM
Member Avatar

rich_l
September 26, 2013, 11:40 am
jima
I like to have an identifying picture come up when certain people call and if I understand correctly,
the 840g doesn't do this?
Actually, the LG 840g will attach pics to phone numbers, I really like that. B-)
The number stored in the phone and the number furnished through caller ID must match exactly for the picture
assigned to the number to display -- full 10 digit number.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I decided to move this question here, where it belongs... maybe someone can help out, thanks... Turk B-)
Leaderman
September 22 2013
Need LG 840G Help? -- Huge Problems!
Hello, forgive me if I am not posting this the correct way or listing this in the correct place?? I'm not to sure where I should post this, but I will just start this post. I recently purchased an LG 840G phone and had my Tracfone account and PH. # transferred to this new phone. I was upgrading phones and the transfer went perfectly. I had over 1800.00 minutes on my old Tracfone (1862.39 to be Exact) and they were successfully transferred to the 840G.

My HUGE problem started several days later (Sept. 7th of this year). I figured it was time to load some MP3 files onto my new 32GB micro SD card that I had already installed into the 840G. This is where the problems started. I plugged the phone into my laptop (win XP pro) just to realize that it was not connecting to the phone? I figured it would just list the phone as a removable disk drive and then I would transfer the MP3 files but it did not recognize the phone?? And yes, it was a data/charging usb cable. Micro usb I believe? Well, I then figured out that I needed the drivers for the phone so I downloaded them from the LG website (I think it was the LG 840 drivers? I'm pretty sure I could not find drivers for LG 840G, but I figured the 840 drivers would work? Actually They didn't even have the 840G on the LG website?? I don't know why it's not listed, but I couldn't find it anyway??).

I installed the drivers I did download and then when I plugged the 840G into the laptop the screen of the phone kept on turning on and off?? When it lit up "on" you could see the "slide up to recognize as a usb drive" prompt on the phone, but then off and on again??? It just kept going on and off?? I couldn't even slide the prompt up fast enough because it would turn off again too fast (then back on, then off, then on.... and just keep going??).. I then unplugged it figuring that I have the wrong driver or something?? I then powered on the phone and realized that the phone was missing 300 minutes!?!?!? I was shocked, so I called the tracfone service dept, and a nice Guy apologized and just credited me with the missing 300 minutes, so I was back to over 1800.00 minutes. The nice guy said to be more careful in the future, so I agreed and told him I would just physically remove the micro SD card and transfer the MP3 files manually through the card itself. He agreed.

During the next couple of days I loaded the MP3's directly though the micro SD card without error. But then it happened, I once again removed the micro SD card, transferred the MP3's and re-installed the card. Upon powering back up the phone I was now missing 400 minutes??!!??!!?? I was shocked not to mention tee'd off?? My minutes balance was now 1430.00??? But I figured I would just spend more minutes to call customer service and hopefully just get the minutes back, after all they MUST have a record of the minutes on my phone, right?? Well I called them up again and like before they transferred me to a service manager but this time they said they would need to check on my phones minutes before they credit me any more minutes. I said fine, and then was put on hold. He later came back on and said unfortunately the dept. that deals with minutes was not "in" and asked me if I would call back the next day? I said sure thing, then called them back up the next day to find out that the computers were down and was asked to call again the following day? Once again, I happily agreed. I then the next day called them a third time, but here's where it gets interesting....

They put me on hold then got back to me and said that they just talked to the Dept. that has a record of my minutes and unfortunately they could NOT help me whatsoever because my phone should only have 1100.00 minutes, NOT over 1800.00??? I was shocked?? I told them there was a mistake because I know EXACTLY how many minutes I have!! I stare at the balance every day of every month and it took me awhile to save up that many minutes, but they insisted that I was wrong and that my phone should only have 1100.00 minutes?? No matter what I said (I was willing to take a picture of the phone showing the OVER 1400.00 minutes already on the phone, but they said it would not do me any good??).. They just said there was nothing they would (OR Could) do and to basically give up trying to get my minutes back because they were not going to give them back?? They even called me a liar?? I was really mad... but what could I do?? I have now emailed them and I get the same thing: "we've looked at your case and came to the decision that we cannot help you any further??". So that's it?? I loose 400 plus minutes (400 from the balance and plus from the time they left me on hold??)...

I just cannot believe it, and now I am afraid to load any more MP3's out of the fear that I might loose even more minutes?? This is CRAZY... What do I do?? Is their drivers that work for Windows XP Pro?? Do I risk loosing more minutes?? Why is their record of my minutes WRONG?? How do I prove I am correct?? I actually had another problem on the phone I was upgrading. The phone would never receive it's minutes automatically each month so I would have to email them my phones information (parameter 00, parameter 30, MINUTES LEFT ON PHONE, and finally my due date) and with that info they could generate a long string of numbers for me to manually enter and then viola', I would get my monthly minutes!! So I told them to look up my monthly correspondence with them and then they could see that I was NOT lying and that I should now have over 1800.00 minutes (over 2000 minutes come October)..

But again, they did not want to hear me?? They did not want to look at my proof, or even look at a picture of my current minutes?? I was told that I am S.O.L. and there is NOTHING I can do about it?? Has anybody else have the same (or similar) problems?? What can I do?? I don't want to loose the 400 minutes or loose any more than that?? Also, is there drivers for the 840G that I am unaware of?? Where are they?? Where do I download them from?? Why isn't the phone listed on LG's website?? Is it because the phone is too old?? PLEASE help... I do like the phone but HATE the way I have been treated by their customer service??? This Problem TRULY Sucks!!! Thanks for your time...

Sincerely Frustrated,
Christopher

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ Leaderman

1) Your post is way too long, in the future try to be more concise -- maybe separate out issues into separate posts.

2) The dispute resolution number is (800)876-5753. It is also the court of last resort. If you have tried that number
and they have turned you down, then you are SOL.

I will try to address some of your concerns...

1) Window XP Pro should not need USB drivers -- for the LG 840G, or any other device that is just another storage
device to the computer. If you don't have SP3 installed, you might want to do that.

If you loaded "840 drivers," you might have just loaded malware. Some malware will "phone home" and charge
you minutes as if a sale. I would run a virus and malware software on your PC. ... If that is the case, then it is not
TracFone's fault.

Sounds like you may have loaded malware into your phone -- again it would not be an issue TracFone can cure.

Some things you should do:
1) Take the battery out of the phone, then reinsert it. (that solves a lot of problems.)

2) Reset the phone (Settings > Reset Settings > Master reset)

3) Some of your music files may be corrupted or be infected with a virus or malware -- delete them all from the
phone, and do a virus scan on them in your PC.

4) Did you loads any "free" java apps into the phone? If so, delete them all -- Many of them are hacked apps with
phone-home malware.

5) Maybe your microSD card has a virus - insert it in your PC (might have to have an SD to miroSD converter,
and/or a SD to USB converter) and run a virus/malware scan on it.

6) Where did you get the phone? If you bought it new, take it back for a replacement or refund. If you bought it from
someone used, try to get a refund. It could have been messed with (flashed or jail-broke).

If you have any of the above problems, it is not TracFone's fault.

Hope that helps - let us know how it turns out (concisely).

oceans3101

I have seen lots of posts where using a 32gb card is a problem with this phone.

First take out the card and see if you can get the phone to operate normally.

If not, take out the battery for a minute or two and see if that helps still without the card.

Then try a reset. I have no idea what you did on the lg website, but your facts seem to point to the card as the problem.

pacoman

I just got my 840G yesterday. One problem I'm having is that the backlight times out at 15 seconds.

I've gone into settings and changed the backlight timer setting, but it still times out at 15 seconds.

Anyone else experiencing this, and is there any fix for it?

tfuser19

Does anyone having a LG 840G that has a 32GB microSD installed and working correctly to use all 32GB?

tfuser19

@pacoman,
Check the Auto Screen Lock duration ..... is it 15 sec?

pacoman

tfuser19
September 28, 2013, 1:21 pm
@pacoman,
Check the Auto Screen Lock duration ..... is it 15 sec?
Yeah, that seems to have worked. Didn't see that setting... Thanks.

tracmac

ShadowDancer
September 23, 2013, 4:48 pm
tracmac wrote:
One of my Gmail accts keeps downloading OLD mail (2+ yrs old) with no rhyme or reason to it. It like it just pulls a certain batch of unrelated
emails out of the sky & keeps re-downloading them even tho I keep deleting them from the phone. The other Gmail accts only downloaded
some previously read mail the 1st time I checked them. Once I deleted those emails off the phone from those accts ... they have not come
back when checking for email again later. Thankfully it appears that 25 is the cutoff number for the older emails. One thing I did try to do is go
into the Gmail accts & remove checkmarks for mail labels visible under IMAP. Being things are setup as POP rather than IMAP ... I'm not so
sure if the setting really makes a difference or not at this point. Regardless, it's pretty odd that the (1) acct acts funky & the others don't.

--------------------------------------------------------

When I initially had to switch my Gmail account from the IMAP to the POP3 setting, I had the problem of Gmail
downloading every email in every folder in my Gmail account to my phone. Since that time, I have not had that
problem. Only new emails are arriving on my phone.

Seems the (1) funky acct has fixed itself with no changes on my end <shrugs>.

tfuser19
September 23, 2013, 5:01 pm
tracmac,

S390G currently.

When I go to Youtube with Opera Mini and click on a video, it brings up the built-in browser to play the video in
3/4" x 1 1/4" little area in the center of the screen.
Guess I just have to accept no push with Gmail.

Yea I did take notice of the native browser stepping in when viewing a vid in Opera.

Too bad Opera can't do all the lifting on its own.

Tech
Member Avatar

tracmac
September 28, 2013, 2:22 pm
Yea I did take notice of the native browser stepping in when viewing a vid in Opera.
I don't recall this ever happening when using the LG 840g and Opera mini.
I always just got an error message saying that you couldn't play it... What version of Opera mini?

Leticron

I have opera mini 7.1 and it doesn't show vids nor invokes native browser.

But that's ok, my Tracfone Android arrives on Tuesday. That should take care of it.

Joeb84

Kmart is selling the LG 840g for $34 ... and at Best Buys for $29.

Curmudgeon

As I mentioned earlier, since Santa presented me with a smartphone, I have kept the 840g as a backup spare.
When I attempted to turn it on today, the screen remained off. Figuring that the battery had run down while sitting
on the shelf, I plugged it into the charger... Two hours later, it doesn't even turn on to show that it is charging.
Could the battery have completely died through disuse?

tfuser19

Curmudgeon,
Pull battery out, reinsert, & plug charger in.

watsonk

tfuser19
September 28, 2013, 1:19 pm
Does anyone having a LG 840G that has a 32GB microSD installed and working correctly to use all 32GB?
I purchased mine last year at BestBuy; and it has been working flawlessly.

PNY Technologies - 32GB High Speed microSDHC Class 10 Memory Card

watsonk

Joeb84
September 29, 2013, 11:03 am
Kmart is selling the LG 840g for $34 ... and at Best Buys for $29.
Tracfone is trying to get rid of all the LG 840g old stock before the Christmas rush with new products.

Hsn.com and Amazon.com are already selling a Samsung Android (Ice Cream Sandwich) Tracfone.

If you read the hsn.com review, Tracfone is having a lot of issues transferring phone numbers and minutes over.
Also, it does not display user minutes on the phone. I would definitely wait for price drop and subsidence of product launch pain.

Curmudgeon

tfuser19: Thanks for the suggestion. That was the first thing that I tried to no avail. While the battery was out, I
tried a voltmeter across the terminals, and got zero output. The next step was to loosen my purse strings and
order a new battery on eBay. I'll report results after the new battery arrives, and gets inserted and charged.

An interesting sidelight: I took an old LG Tracfone out of the closet which hasn't been used or charged for at
least two years and it switched on and lit up immediately! .. Of course it said that it wasn't activated.

Tech
Member Avatar

Curmudgeon
September 30, 2013, 10:23 am
tfuser19: Thanks for the suggestion. That was the first thing that I tried to no avail. While the battery was out, I
tried a voltmeter across the terminals, and got zero output. The next step was to loosen my purse strings and
order a new battery on eBay. I'll report results after the new battery arrives, and gets inserted and charged.

An interesting sidelight: I took an old LG Tracfone out of the closet which hasn't been used or charged for at
least two years and it switched on and lit up immediately! .. Of course it said that it wasn't activated.
Do you have the battery in the right way? With the points facing in the right direction? I've seen it happen before.

tfuser19

Tech
September 30, 2013, 1:32 pm
Do you have the battery in the right way? With the points facing in the right direction? I've seen it happen before.
@Curmudgeon,
I expect you're going to report the battery was in correctly.

I agree with your assessment of zero volts being the battery is shot.

You might find this article interesting ... http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11438

If you try to revive your battery, I suggest wrapping it in a rag / towel and wearing eye protection. Since the DC
charger output is 5.1V / 0.8A, you might first try a Nook/Kindle charger which has a higher current output than
the LG 840G charger and see what that does.

tracmac

Tech
September 28, 2013, 6:42 pm
tracmac
September 28, 2013, 2:22 pm
I don't recall this ever happening when using the LG 840g and Opera mini.
I always just got an error message saying that you couldn't play it... What version of Opera mini?
Opera Mini 7.1 (signed version).

When you go to play a YouTube video, a pop-up of sorts warns about possible extra charges (not an issue
for me - only been doing this on WiFi) if you wish to open a link that always seems to start with "global-4-lvs-
colossus.opera-mini.net".

There's a good possibility that others are unaware that this pop-up window is actually the native TF browser,
even tho it's pretty obvious once you've seen it enough times.

Anyone that's been using Opera might want to go into the native TF browser's menu & look at recently visited
pages to see if there are any links in there like I mentioned above.

I think some people might be surprised.

tracmac

In other news ...

In trying to get to know this thing more & more throughout the night, I'm getting rather annoyed with the native email app.
It appears that the PUSH feature is turning itself off on its own & is not always responding when trying to reactivate it.

If I go & tap "push on" in the drop down menu, there is no response & push doesn't turn back on.
Powering the phone down completely & rebooting it seems to make it selectable again, but obviously I shouldn't have to do that.

It's done it about 3x on me.
Also the times when push has been ACTIVE, just how long should it take an email to reach the phone ?.

Seems like there is quite a delay, I thought the whole thought behind push was "immediate".
I even created a couple more email accts with different providers just to see if they would be any faster & no dice.

tfuser19

@tracmac,
After I select Push on, I have to wait a bit for it to turn on, so trying waiting about 30 secs to a minute and see if the red push LED turns green.

pacoman

tracmac
October 1, 2013, 7:17 am

If I go & tap "push on" in the drop down menu, there is no response & push doesn't turn back on.
OK. I give up. Where is this "Push" option you guys are talking about? I've got 5 accounts set up on my 840G, 2 POP and 3 IMAP, and I can't find a push option anywhere.

oceans3101

Push info

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1786362-LG840G-email-Push-setting-with-email-icon-button/page2?highlight=840g+email+setup

You will probably have to read the whole page, but lots of info about push. If you have push on, every time you use your phone without wifi it is using minutes to get your messages.

pacoman

I read it, and it doesn't really help at all. I gather from that thread that I need to enable push during the set-up process. How do I do that? I open the Email app, then from options select add account. From here, I get a screen asking for my email address, password, and user name (optional). There is not option to enable push. Then, after I hit save, the account is set up. Then, in account settings, there is no setting to enable push. What am I missing?

tfuser19

pacoman
October 2, 2013, 4:11 pm
I read it, and it doesn't really help at all. I gather from that thread that I need to enable push during the set-up process. How do I do that? I open the Email app, then from options select add account. From here, I get a screen asking for my email address, password, and user name (optional). There is not option to enable push. Then, after I hit save, the account is set up. Then, in account settings, there is no setting to enable push. What am I missing?
Email Icon->Settings button->Push on - do you get that option? Did you set up your IMAP accounts with Access Point: WLAN so they don't drain your minutes if you're not on WiFi?

pacoman

"Email Icon->Settings button->Push on - do you get that option?" No, I don't.

"Did you set up your IMAP accounts with Access Point: WLAN so they don't drain your minutes if you're not on WiFi?" I never got that option.

As I said above, when I add an account, IMAP included, I get prompted for my email address, my password my user name and have NO other options.

tfuser19

@pacoman: What do you see when you do this?:
1. Press Email Icon - list what you see. Do any accounts have a red or green LED next to them?

2. Now Press Settings button - list what you see.

You can xxx any personal info you don't want to post, like xxx@yahoo.com

pacoman

"1. Press Email Icon - list what you see"
I see a list of my accounts.
"Do any accounts have a red or green LED next to them?"
No.

"2. Now Press Settings button - list what you see."
I see-
New Email
Add Account
Delete
Email Settings

tfuser19

@pacoman,
Delete one of your IMAP accounts. When you re-add it, slide the Push button, which is after the password field, to the right to enable push.
Selecting Access Point: WLAN enables push during WiFi only if I recall correctly.

oceans3101

Pacoman, I think that you only get to select push off/on at the time that you set up a new email account on your phone. I just created a new account and after I entered the email address and password I had a selection for push. Try setting up a new account, or delete your old and replace. My phone set everything on it's own and you had a box to select push if you want it, it's an 840g.

3 users reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.