Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: .... Are you ready for some Football?!! .... the NFL starts up this week .... are you a fan of the NFL?
Yes / can't wait! / I am a fan of the NFL.
No / don't care / I am not a fan of the NFL.
Poll Maker
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) LG 840g Phone Topic
Topic Started: September 24, 2012, 12:41 am (177,059 Views)
watsonk

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts, or questions on this phone, please post it all here... thanks.

* Here is the Tracfone LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?
* Here is the Net10 LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Normally, my phone battery could last at least 3 days with Wi-Fi turned off.

However, when I was outside of the country, the phone would say "No Service" even though the 3G signal was
very strong. The phone battery would last about 1 day... The phone was looking for service constantly, draining
the battery.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

marne
Member Avatar

DoctorM
August 10, 2013, 3:48 pm
marne
August 10, 2013, 2:37 pm
Just want to be sure.

Technology is moving too fast for me to figure out stuff and I am afraid to screw something up.
I want to add photos to my contacts (for each to identify by) and was wondering if this is how?

If I remove the MicroSD card from the phone and put pictures from my computer in the pictures file on the
card, then slip the card back into the phone, can I access them to use and didn't horse the phone up from
what I just did? ...... Thanks.
Yes. The LG 840G has limitations on the size of picture it will recognize (The LG 800G would handle any size
picture). As long as your pictures (or graphics) are less than 1200x1600 pixels, you should be OK.. The worst
that would happen is a message that the picture (or graphic) is too large.. The best format to use is jpeg (.jpg).
Thank you so much! And for mentioning the size as I was wondering about that.

So far, I am so happy I bit the bullet and bought the new phone and am learning how to operate it.

If I can get music and graphics to work on it, I shall be grinning from ear to ear with joy.

ge0rge

After much trial and error, I finally got my GMail account to work again. I compared the advanced settings in
the LG 840G to the settings in my Outlook interface (using my PC browser), and discovered that there were
differences. What worked was changing the mailbox type to POP2 rather than IMAP ... So at least for now, I
think I'm able to check email again.

If anybody else finds that this fix works, let me know.

geo

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Hallelujah, Ge0rge! It worked for me, too. But, it is POP3 rather than POP2, which you posted.

Thanks for sharing your discovery!!

ShadowDancer ^_^

tfuser19

ge0rge
August 13, 2013, 2:42 pm
After much trial and error, I finally got my GMail account to work again. I compared the advanced settings in
the LG 840G to the settings in my Outlook interface (using my PC browser), and discovered that there were
differences. What worked was changing the mailbox type to POP2 rather than IMAP ... So at least for now, I
think I'm able to check email again.

If anybody else finds that this fix works, let me know.

geo
I just set up my LG 840G email app to check my gmail and yahoo accounts yesterday.
With the LG 840G email app, I can check Yahoo using IMAP, but gmail only works with POP3.

Based on posts I've read in various places about people having problems with LG 840G/IMAP/Gmail
something external to the phone has changed recently us to be unable to check Gmail using IMAP.

Odd thing is, I can check my Gmail on my Samsung S390G using IMAP.
Sending email works fine in all the above cases too.

ge0rge

ShadowDancer
August 13, 2013, 3:06 pm
Hallelujah, Ge0rge! It worked for me, too. But, it is POP3 rather than POP2, which you posted.

Thanks for sharing your discovery!!
Yes, sorry... That was a typo :$

tfuser19

I have a question related to using UC Browser on the LG 840G:

Using UC Browser, if you navigate to youtube.com and click on a video to play it, does the native video
player open up and play the video (as happens on my Samsung s390g Tracfone) or does the message
"Not supported" get displayed as happens on my LG 840G with UC Browser v9.2.

Clicking on a youtube video using the native browser on either phone results in the native video player starting
up and playing the video.

Thanks!

NOTE: The best place from which to install UC Browser to your LG 840G is: http://blog.wapreview.com/16898/
so you don't have to modify the jad file yourself to get rid of the screen hogging virtual keypad which gets installed
if you install the browser (9.2 Signed version for Java) from the UC Browser website: http://wap.ucweb.com

Tarkio101

Wanted to let people know, I just took my LG 840G on vacation. I used the camera a lot, of course, and am
pleased with the pics. I was somewhere sunny and, I am actually very impressed with the outdoor, daytime
photos. The ones of me at the pool are awesome ... Very nice color, bright color, clear. I don't think a better
camera would have really taken much better photos.

I also shot a lot of video when I was out riding ATVs in the mountains. Even on rough trails, I held it with one
hand and got surprisingly smooth video. Now, I'll spare all of the details, but I do have a few video tips for those
that might be using the phone for action videos if anyone wants to know.

I was able to log into free hotel wifi to email photos back home to share. I know that's an issue some places.
But I also used picture messaging and had no trouble. I took the pictures in 2mp, but did go back and crop a
little to make them a little easier, and cheaper to send. Most only cost a few minutes to send. Beats the rates
on major carriers.

And this phone never ceases to amaze me. The photo editing options on this phone are impressive. I added
captions, cropped, tweaked the color, etc. For those that have not played around with all of the photo editing
on this phone, you should... And keep in mind, I just had the iPhone for a month. It has NO editing on board.
The apps that you could get for free were worse than what comes with this phone. If you have any doubts, go
to any other phone and look at the options there.

I used the phone exclusively for 4 days to get my news and information fix, lots of email and texting, quite a few
calls, connected to wifi almost everywhere I tried, kept a good charge, was my camera, alarm clock, organizer,
flashlight, etc. Hard to believe its such a cheap phone, and not a smartphone to boot.

marne
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
August 17, 2013, 6:25 am
Wanted to let people know, I just took my LG 840G on vacation. I used the camera a lot, of course, and am
pleased with the pics. I was somewhere sunny and, I am actually very impressed with the outdoor, daytime
photos. The ones of me at the pool are awesome ... Very nice color, bright color, clear. I don't think a better
camera would have really taken much better photos.

I also shot a lot of video when I was out riding ATVs in the mountains. Even on rough trails, I held it with one
hand and got surprisingly smooth video. Now, I'll spare all of the details, but I do have a few video tips for those
that might be using the phone for action videos if anyone wants to know.

I was able to log into free hotel wifi to email photos back home to share. I know that's an issue some places.
But I also used picture messaging and had no trouble. I took the pictures in 2mp, but did go back and crop a
little to make them a little easier, and cheaper to send. Most only cost a few minutes to send. Beats the rates
on major carriers.

And this phone never ceases to amaze me. The photo editing options on this phone are impressive. I added
captions, cropped, tweaked the color, etc. For those that have not played around with all of the photo editing
on this phone, you should... And keep in mind, I just had the iPhone for a month. It has NO editing on board.
The apps that you could get for free were worse than what comes with this phone. If you have any doubts, go
to any other phone and look at the options there.

I used the phone exclusively for 4 days to get my news and information fix, lots of email and texting, quite a few
calls, connected to wifi almost everywhere I tried, kept a good charge, was my camera, alarm clock, organizer,
flashlight, etc. Hard to believe its such a cheap phone, and not a smartphone to boot.
Thank you sooooo much for informing us LG 840g users of this. I value that kind of input here. :)

I also would love to see a separate thread on the how's and what's of the LG 840g. Help on stuff not available
in the manual. So many things I am afraid to tap that I don't know what it will do and where it goes?

I was poking around on mine yesterday and tapped on the + sign while in the Audio (I think) on a song wondering
what that was for and discovered (I think) it made that song play continually in the background? :unsure: I would have
to do that again to be sure but will not in case I can't Undo it again.

I DID see two bars on my home screen wondering what the heck those appeared from and when investigating,
it seems to have been from my tapping the + before because somehow, somewhere, I tapped and a message
popped up across the screen saying off which I tapped and the music stopped. (Whew)

How about a Topic thread on the What's & Hows? as is discovered with use... (What I mean is strictly only of
procedures and no questions.) If there is already, please direct me to it if I missed seeing one.

Thanks

Snacktime
Member Avatar

I was at a building site without wifi. The 3G signal was weak in that area. I tried Google Maps to see how close a
location was and made the mistake of running extra data with some map zooms. A minute or two later I had a 26
minute charge. This has probably been mentioned, but don't run Google Maps on 3G unless you're willing to lose
a big chunk of time in one shot.

Tech
Member Avatar

marne, all you did by tapping that plus is add the song to a playlist. You can go into playlists via the music player
and delete it from the playlist.

The other thing you're talking about is the music player wiget. What that does is keep the music player on the top
of the screen on a little bar while you do other things on the trinket. Hitting off just turns the player off completely.

The way that you even get to that wiget from the music player is to tap the built in "back" arrow up in the left top
corner of the player. It will take you back to the album then the artist and eventually the on screen wiget if you
keep tapping it.. If you tap the actual bar that is the wiget then it zooms into the actual music player full screen.

The music player is probably the best thing about this device in my opinion and is really all I use it for any more.

jo336

Have been reading about acefuture's problem with the bluetooth and the bmw pairing up. I just got a new Kia
sportage ex and the salesman paired it up for me and made a phone call with his iPhone to my phone and it
rang, and I could speak using the voice system in the car. Looks like I was lucky that this was able to happen.

I make and receive very few calls, so probably won't use it much.. I also am able to stream music from it using
the bluetooth.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ jo336
I think it is all in the auto maker's system. I can make and receive calls on my 2012 Nissan's system, but I can't
stream music... Did you have to do anything special to stream music? Maybe I am overlooking something.

As far as the BMW system, it may be set up for Blackberry, or some Euro-phone, and not other systems. (Just a guess.)

Tarkio101

Snacktime
August 17, 2013, 9:42 am
I was at a building site without wifi. The 3G signal was weak in that area. I tried Google Maps to see how close a
location was and made the mistake of running extra data with some map zooms. A minute or two later I had a 26
minute charge. This has probably been mentioned, but don't run Google Maps on 3G unless you're willing to lose
a big chunk of time in one shot.
Yeah, Google Maps uses huge amounts of data. I have used it on wifi a few times, and it definitely taxes the phone
and takes forever to load like other data heavy sites. By comparison to your example of 26 minutes, I have gone to
read headlines of news, clicked on a couple of stories and gotten out with a little over 3 minutes used.

Sprocketman

The LG 840g's native browser will read .pdf files, so if we had the internal url address that the native browser uses,
we could read a .pdf file on the phone by entering the address in the browser.

On a pc browser that's really easy. You enter:

file:///c:/filename.pdf

in the address window and hit enter, and you see the file. I have tried a few address combinations with the LG840g
native browser, but nothing that worked. And I don't know if it's even possible to navigate the file system on the card
using the browser, so might have to put the .pdf file in the subdirectory it will look in. Anybody have experience with
that?

Randy

Tech
Member Avatar

Sprocketman
August 17, 2013, 9:35 pm
The LG 840g's native browser will read .pdf files, so if we had the internal url address that the native browser uses,
we could read a .pdf file on the phone by entering the address in the browser.

On a pc browser that's really easy. You enter:

file:///c:/filename.pdf

in the address window and hit enter, and you see the file. I have tried a few address combinations with the LG840g
native browser, but nothing that worked. And I don't know if it's even possible to navigate the file system on the card
using the browser, so might have to put the .pdf file in the subdirectory it will look in. Anybody have experience with
that?

Randy
The best that I could come up with was to have a pdf uploaded to a site that you use and then navigate to that.
What plucks me is that I get pdf's and docs in my email and can't read them if I tried to do it on this trinket. I've got
other devices so don't really sweat the dumb that comes with this device/provider any more but I think it's utterly
absurd what tracfone or whomever is doing here. Just isn't worth the hassle. Move on to another provider if you
want functionality.

This device, in my own personal opinion (and others are free to disagree if they wish) is built for mining consumer
/social networking data for marketing purposes and heaven knows what else behind that proprietary block of the
file system.

Is seemingly taking advantage of the lower class who are the majority of users for these kinds of devices. Don't
give them any true functionality. We don't want them reading a pdf file from the school or a college financial aid
application in the form of a document or anything. Nope...don't want them logging into a flash based curriculum
to do some work if they have to do it via mobile.
Uh Uh...nope...just want to keep them searching for and consuming useless junk they don't need with the handy
dandy home page or facebooking and other social stuff.

This is actually one of the main reasons I'd like to see see Safelink done away with.. They're given junk like this
and it deters productivity.

oceans3101

Tech
August 17, 2013, 1:46 pm
marne, all you did by tapping that plus is add the song to a playlist. You can go into playlists via the music player

The other thing you're talking about is the music player wiget. What that does is keep the music player on the top
of the screen on a little bar while you do other things on the trinket. Hitting off just turns the player off completely.

The way that you even get to that wiget from the music player is to tap the built in "back" arrow up in the left top
corner of the player. It will take you back to the album then the artist and eventually the on screen wiget if you
keep tapping it.. If you tap the actual bar that is the wiget then it zooms into the actual music player full screen.

The music player is probably the best thing about this device in my opinion and is really all I use it for any more.
If I tap the upper left back arrow it does not take me to the app. I end at the home screen and this is while playing
a song. I can go to the app by tapping the double boxes while a song is playing on the songs screen.

Also have a question on playing a playlist... I can only get a playlist to play if I go to playlist, select one, and then
select one of the songs on the list. Is that your experience or is there a quicker way?

marne
Member Avatar

Tech
August 17, 2013, 1:46 pm

Thank you so much for your help here. With your info, I was brave enough to poke around to experiment
again with the player. Sure has NICE sound quality.

I did find my way to the scrolling song title again that has the "Off" to tap.
Also seen the "Play & Pause" trade marks on top of the screen which I had no idea what was when the
"pause" showed before.
Also when the song is playing, with the application screen showing, I just tapped the "End" key twice to
end the song.

Do I EVER like this phone! The more I play with it to learn more on it, the more I like it.
I was hesitant to switch from the flip phone to the "One Piece" and now am so happy I did.

The only thing that disappoints me is the camera/video pictures having a negative or 3D look to them.
Especially from left side view.

You have to look straight on when showing to your friends. Is that from the display screen being LED?
Tried to find if it is an LCD or LED screen on it.

Tarkio101

Next time I need minutes, I am thinking about getting another 840g from HSN with the 1400 minutes instead of
buying just the minutes. I costs a little more (20 bucks), it would be nice to have a spare phone handy. And mine
is looking a little scratched up. And I can use flex pay to pay less up front. And I can get some cash back from a
cash back site I use.

Part of the reason I wouldn't mind having a new phone is, I've downloaded a lot apps from various sources on
this phone, and I'm actually not all that confident in some of their origins...

So, the question is--can I get google maps on the new phone as well? Didn't I read something about it not being
available for download anymore? .. Or did I imagine that?

In either case, I do have it on the current phone, so I think I would be able to save it to an sd card and move it over
that way... Did I imagine this google maps thing?

marne
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
August 20, 2013, 11:47 pm
So, the question is--can I get google maps on the new phone as well? Didn't I read something about it not being
available for download anymore? Or did I imagine that? In either case, I do have it on the current phone, so I
think I would be able to save it to an sd card and move it over that way. Did I imagine this google maps thing?
There is a big discussion on page 9 starting with number 886... http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/topic/4935151/9/

I did install the JAD & JAR file to my SDcard in my phone and ended up getting the signed version of Google
maps by going to http://boostapps.com/jump entering 6944 and all went fine.

blueduns

Anyone else get the message that gives only two options, "call back" or "ignore"?

How do you find out who you would be calling back or ignoring before deciding?

Thanks,

BD

DoctorM
Member Avatar

blueduns
August 21, 2013, 2:02 pm
Anyone else get the message that gives only two options, "call back" or "ignore"?

Thanks, BD
If it is someone on your contacts list that is calling, their name will display, but only if the telephone number in your
contacts list matches exactly what the caller is sending (full ten-digit number).

If it is a stranger (not on your contacts list), and they are sending their number, then their number will display, but no name.

If the caller is not sending a number then you won't see anything about them.
The LG 840G does not display a picture, like the LG 800g would.

I reject all calls that don't display a number. Everybody I care about hearing from is on my contacts with their full 10-
digit number (nnn)nnn-nnnn. I usually answer a call that displays a number, even if I don't know who that might be.

rich_l

I can't remember my voicemail password (I use it so often) ... How do I retrieve it?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ rich_l
Here are TracFone's own instructions:

To reset your pass code, call your voice mailbox and listen to the tutorial. If there are no instructions for resetting
the pass code, contact Customer Care Center at 1-800-867-7183 to speak to a representative.

blueduns

DoctorM
August 21, 2013, 8:57 pm
blueduns

Thanks, BD
If it is someone on your contacts list that is calling, their name will display, but only if the telephone number in your
contacts list matches exactly what the caller is sending (full ten-digit number).

If it is a stranger (not on your contacts list), and they are sending their number, then their number will display, but no name.

If the caller is not sending a number then you won't see anything about them.
The LG 840G does not display a picture, like the LG 800g would.

I reject all calls that don't display a number. Everybody I care about hearing from is on my contacts with their full 10-
digit number (nnn)nnn-nnnn. I usually answer a call that displays a number, even if I don't know who that might be.
Thanks, butt... this doesn't add up... they are not calling, the call seems to have been missed.

Since I'm given the option of calling back, then isn't it logical to assume _someone_ or _something_ knows the
caller's number? .. So why can't I know it before deciding to "call back or ignore"?

BD

tfuser19

blueduns

Thanks, BD
I just made a test call to my LG 840G, did not answer it, and got three options "Call Back", "List", and "Ignore".
What happens if you do the same ... do you get all three options or is "List" missing?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@tfuswe19 - Bluduns wants to know why he can't know who was calling.

@ blueduns -- The answer is the same as I gave you --

if the caller doesn't send a number, then you won't know who it is.
If the caller sends a number, then the number shows.
if the caller is in your contact list, their name displays, but only if the number sent matches exactly what is in your contact list.

You should ignore calls without a number.

EDIT -- yes the carrier always knows the number, but it allows callers to elect not to furnish you the number.
And you have the option not to answer it (or ignore a missed call.) Its the way the Caller ID is set up.

On land lines, Caller ID can give both name and number, and the caller can choose to furnish neither (and you
can choose to ignore them automatically.)

On cell phones, few carriers furnish names with caller ID, and the caller can still choose not to furnish their number.
On the LG 800G, you could automitcally reject such calls. However, on the LG 840G you must manually choose to
ignore a call.

tfuser19

@DoctorM,

Did I miss your answer to @bludun's question about why only "Call Back" and "Ignore" are listed for the missed
call ("List" was not displayed from what I read in the question)?

Even if a number is blocked by the caller, my phone shows "Call Back", "List", and "Ignore".

When I click on "List" for this missed blocked number call, the phone displays "Private Number" where the number
or contact name is normally displayed - which all makes sense to me.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ tfuser19
His original question was:

"How do you find out who you would be calling back or ignoring before deciding?"

tfuser19

DoctorM
August 26, 2013, 9:38 pm
@ tfuser19
His original question was:

"How do you find out who you would be calling back or ignoring before deciding?"
@DoctorM,

One of us needs a drink or had one too many... ;)
I see two questions ... I've answered the 1st of the two original questions - you skipped that one. :)

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/single/?p=455186&t=4935151
blueduns

Thanks, BD

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I decided to move this question and answer here, to this phone topic, where it officially belongs... thanks.
Ellen A
August 25 2013
No zoom on LG 840g?
All the icons are "on" for my camera but not the zoom. So . . no zoom? Why is it there? Why is it noted in the manual?
Also, I'm told by the Tracfone "gods" that my network doesn't support the email short cut nor new mail alert... WTH?
Tarkio101
August 25 2013
The zoom is digital, not optical, so it works after a picture is taken. So, take a pic, then you can zoom in on the picture.
You can save the original and the new "zoomed in" picture separately so you don't lose the original.
My email notification works fine... I set it up under the email icon and it shows when I have unread emails.
Ellen A
August 26 2013
Tarkio101 - thanks for the zoom info. I knew there had to be a simple answer.
I'll try setting up my email again through the icon. Maybe if I delete and re-enter that will work.
That's the reason I bought this phone to begin with; the new mail alert.

tfuser19

Ellen A,

In order for email notification to work, your email provider must support IMAP and you must configure the email
client for IMAP4 and PUSH:ON. Be sure to use Access Point: WLAN (WiFi) and not Tracfone WAP(cell network)
in order to avoid using minutes for email checking - unless you really need to access your email while away from
WiFi.

If your email provider only supports POP3, then you will have to manually check for new mail by going to the Inbox
and using the Update command.

If the above sounds like Greek ;) or you need further assistance, please post more questions.

EDIT: For some odd reason, IMAP does not work with gmail on the LG 840G - so if it does not work for you, give up
and use POP3 with gmail.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Turk
August 26, 2013, 11:40 pm
* I decided to move this question and answer here, to this phone topic, where it officially belongs... thanks.
Ellen A
August 25 2013
No zoom on LG 840g?
All the icons are "on" for my camera but not the zoom. So . . no zoom? Why is it there? Why is it noted in the manual?
Also, I'm told by the Tracfone "gods" that my network doesn't support the email short cut nor new mail alert... WTH?
Tarkio101
August 25 2013
The zoom is digital, not optical, so it works after a picture is taken. So, take a pic, then you can zoom in on the picture.
You can save the original and the new "zoomed in" picture separately so you don't lose the original.
My email notification works fine... I set it up under the email icon and it shows when I have unread emails.
Ellen A
August 26 2013
Tarkio101 - thanks for the zoom info. I knew there had to be a simple answer.
I'll try setting up my email again through the icon. Maybe if I delete and re-enter that will work.
That's the reason I bought this phone to begin with; the new mail alert.
The little magnifying glass works with the video camera only -- because you can't adjust the video field of vision
afterwards as you can in a photo. In the case of video, digital zooming helps you frame your subject better.

For photos, pre-foto digital zoom and post-foto digital crop accomplish the same thing, and the resulting zoomed
picture would have the same pixel resolution, but be smaller in size for either operation.

With digital zoom there is no increase in detail possible -- on any camera -- it just reduces the field width, so it
is in reality a pre-foto crop operation. The 2 megapixel resolution of the 840G is on the low side and zooming
doesn't buy you much except to be able to send a foto MMS.

You do have preset "zoom" options (in reality a pre-foto crop) in selecting 2M (1600x1200 pixels), 1M (1280x960
pixels), VGA (640x480 pixels), and QVGA (320x240 pixels).

blueduns

tfuser19
August 26, 2013, 7:14 pm
blueduns

Thanks, BD
I just made a test call to my LG 840G, did not answer it, and got three options "Call Back", "List", and "Ignore".
What happens if you do the same ... do you get all three options or is "List" missing?
"List" option is missing. Tried it on another LG 840G and also missing there. Is there a setting somewhere?
I think it stinks that the carrier knows the number I will be calling back if I chose that option but doesn't disclose.

Maybe if I chose the call back option and end the call before the other end answers, I can get the number that way?

Thanks,

BD

tfuser19

@BD,
Is "List" displayed when u call from one LG 840G to the other?

There is no way 4 u 2 get the # or call back if the system blocked it.

Ellen A

I can't seem to find the "new topic" button here so here's another question/observation.

I've been using my camera a lot and I notice when I get home and want to move them over to the picture program
in my PC, it takes forever. I've tried one picture at a time and selecting several at once but still painfully slow.

I can live with that but if I'm doing something wrong - I'd appreciate some guidance.

tfuser19

@Ellen A,
How are you moving the pictures? Email, bluetooth, USB cable, or putting the microSD into the PC (I would
recommend the USB cable if you have a lot of pictures)... Buy a microUSB-USB cable if you don't have one.
Nooks and Kindles come the with a cable that will work for this task.

Ellen A

I'm using a USB cable.

DMG

I was wondering if anyone has an issue when locking your phone? I am sorry if it has already been discussed,
but I have looked and can't find it. I go to setting, security, phone, lock phone now and put in my code. Then the
next screen that comes up at the bottom left says unlock, and the bottom right says emergency. That is the problem.

When I put the phone in my purse or pocket, I have called 911 alot of times by mistake. After that screen appears,
I hit the top bottom and the screen does go off. But 1 push of the button and 1 swipe across unknowingly in my
pocket, and my phone rings and they say" 911 whats your emergency!!!!!! .... can someone help?

tfuser19

DMG,

Consider buying a hard case like: http://www.amazon.com/LG-840G-LG840G-Silicone-Accessory

The power button will be recessed by the case and should hopefully eliminate the problem.

DMG

Thanks tfuser19.. I will take a look at that... Does anyone else have this issue?

tfuser19

I can tell you that people with the Samsung S390G Tracfone have problems like you described with pocket dialing
numbers including 911.

I don't recall on the L8 40G ..... hopefully someone else will chime in.

Tarkio101

DMG
August 27, 2013, 5:48 pm
I was wondering if anyone has an issue when locking your phone? I am sorry if it has already been discussed,
but I have looked and can't find it. I go to setting, security, phone, lock phone now and put in my code. Then the
next screen that comes up at the bottom left says unlock, and the bottom right says emergency. That is the problem.

When I put the phone in my purse or pocket, I have called 911 alot of times by mistake. After that screen appears,
I hit the top bottom and the screen does go off. But 1 push of the button and 1 swipe across unknowingly in my
pocket, and my phone rings and they say" 911 whats your emergency!!!!!! .... can someone help?
I don't really have a great answer... but to me, it's obvious that locking the phone the way you do, with a code, is
what creates the option to dial 911 with one button. I would suggest not using the locking code unless you really
need it. I just turn my screen off and it's "locked" that way.

tfuser19

DMG,

While not using the locking with code feature as Tarkio101 suggested should stop the 911 pocket dialing issue, be
careful that without a phone case; there will still be a high chance that the phone may still get unlocked and random
events like calling people from the contact list or starting up the web browser may occur and consume your minutes.

mharris127

Sprocketman
August 17, 2013, 9:35 pm
. . . This is actually one of the main reasons I'd like to see see Safelink done away with..
They're given junk like this and it deters productivity.
You can activate any Tracfone on Safelink. My mother received a cheap bar phone (a Motorola) and kept it as
a second phone for a few years. When she needed to start using it as a primary cell phone I bought her an LG
500G (I think that is the model number, it has a QWERTY keyboard for texting) when they were $10 on the
Tracfone site. I transferred her 5200 minutes and 300 plus days (the days renew once a year) to the new phone
using Tracfone's Executive Resolutions number and everything works fine. Note: the (I think grandfathered) 125
minute a month plan allows for accumulation of minutes and one tenth of a minute texts, the 250 minute a month
plan does not accumulate and texts are a quarter of a minute each.

IMO Safelink is a good idea, especially for those that cannot afford a land line. At least 125 minutes (or 250 non
accumulating minutes for new subscribers) allows people to at least be contacted for a job interview, call in sick
from work/school if need be or call the doctor for an appointment when necessary. I hope the powers that be don't
eliminate the program like some (mainly richer people) want.

UncleStu

I ordered the reconditioned LG 840G from Tracfone- for $16.15 shipped couldn't resist. And it's time I got a new phone from
TF, my old Moto C261 might die & then I'd lose all those minutes- 2300+.

It should arrive Wed 8/28, then I'll begin going back through this thread with pencil & phone in hand. I do have a few questions in advance though.

*Bluetooth- I own nothing with bluetooth. If I get a bluetooth gizmo/dongle to plug into my computer will I be able download files- such as mp3(mebbe WMA?) music, old time radio shows, properly formatted video files,etc- directly into the phone(or its micro-SDHC card). If so, can anyone recommend a BT dongle that's both reliable & cheap(including shipping)? And assuming it works as I hope, will it be as fast as a USB cable?

*Roaming- tonight I read a comment- posted under a Youtube video on the LG840G- claiming that this phone uses minutes whenever it has to switch between roaming & roaming. Since I live in a real patchwork area(how badly patched? search phones w/my zip on TracFone site, you get GMS phones. Search a town 6 miles away you get CDMA phones- no foolin'.), and my current Moto C261 cell *always* shows the roaming indicator(RM) on its home screen when it's here in the house or nearby- that comment has me concerned. Can anyone comment from experience on this?

*Transfer of minutes, days, & phone #- Since so many minutes are left on my old phone(2389.x at last look), and there are Many reports of TracFone reps claiming that they can't transfer more than X amount of minutes(600, 700, & 1000 seem to be popular figures), I figure I should just call one of the upper-tier cust svc numbers. I just recently went through the mill getting access to voicemail again(had no access to it for over 2 yrs- callers could leave msgs but I couldn't access them) on the Moto, & after much trying on the TF forums had to call. Instead of calling 800-867-7183 the forum rep gave me, I googled, found & used this #: 800-876-5753. Was on hold for less than 2 minutes before a rep answered- then things took a while but finally got things squared away. I plan to use the 876-5753 number again- unless someone here has a better idea?

Edit: Here's a link to the video(which was of no help, imo). But scroll down the page & read the post by bcinnash. If that happens here I may have to return that phone! LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgvRu-r3LMw

I guess that's all for now. All help appreciated.

Tech
Member Avatar

DMG

Yep. This is kind of a big deal in my opinion. Here's the thing. If a call comes in and the phone is in your pocket
then you risk hitting the reject/ignore tab or even hit the answer tab before you even get it out to see who it is.

The lock feature would solve this and the feature does exist to lock it as you have obviously found. Unfortunately,
someone decided that when it's locked that the option to call 911 is still there and even though the phone/device
is locked you can still hit that big red/pink "emergency tab and it calls 911... This is just bad design in my opinion.

There's just no way around it. Lock feature is useless.

Tech
Member Avatar

UncleStu
August 28, 2013, 2:53 am
I ordered the reconditioned LG 840G from Tracfone- for $16.15 shipped couldn't resist. And it's time I got a new phone from

It should arrive Wed 8/28, then I'll begin going back through this thread with pencil & phone in hand. I do have a few questions in advance though.

*Bluetooth- I own nothing with bluetooth. If I get a bluetooth gizmo/dongle to plug into my computer will I be able download files- such as mp3(mebbe WMA?) music, old time radio shows, properly formatted video files,etc- directly into the phone(or its micro-SDHC card). If so, can anyone recommend a BT dongle that's both reliable & cheap(including shipping)? And assuming it works as I hope, will it be as fast as a USB cable?

*Roaming- tonight I read a comment- posted under a Youtube video on the LG840G- claiming that this phone uses minutes whenever it has to switch between roaming & roaming. Since I live in a real patchwork area(how badly patched? search phones w/my zip on TracFone site, you get GMS phones. Search a town 6 miles away you get CDMA phones- no foolin'.), and my current Moto C261 cell *always* shows the roaming indicator(RM) on its home screen when it's here in the house or nearby- that comment has me concerned. Can anyone comment from experience on this?

*Transfer of minutes, days, & phone #- Since so many minutes are left on my old phone(2389.x at last look), and there are Many reports of TracFone reps claiming that they can't transfer more than X amount of minutes(600, 700, & 1000 seem to be popular figures), I figure I should just call one of the upper-tier cust svc numbers. I just recently went through the mill getting access to voicemail again(had no access to it for over 2 yrs- callers could leave msgs but I couldn't access them) on the Moto, & after much trying on the TF forums had to call. Instead of calling 800-867-7183 the forum rep gave me, I googled, found & used this #: 800-876-5753. Was on hold for less than 2 minutes before a rep answered- then things took a while but finally got things squared away. I plan to use the 876-5753 number again- unless someone here has a better idea?

As far as transferring things to the phone, you can either get a data transfer cable to do it or just plug the mini sd card that comes with the phone into your computer and then transfer what you want to it. When done you can just put the card back in the phone. It comes with a 2gb mini sd card but you can get a 32 gb and it works. Holds much more data. I suppoose you could use bluetooth but I think the cable is better. Blootooth I use if I want to print something, like a web page. The bluetooth trinket just plugs into my printer and the device connects. Can't print basic things like pdf's and doc's though because Oh, that's right ...WE CAN'T EVEN OPEN THEM.

I've never roamed on a tracfone so don't know about that. I've travelled to different states with my son for baseball but never got a roam. Although i couldn't receive calls in virginia for some reason. Wouldn't even ring.

As far as minutes, my view is that if you bought them then you own them. If someone tells you that you can't have them after you have bought them then it's theft. But that's just me.

Others here have dealt with it though and may be a bit more tolerant of that particular stuff and can probably give you better advice. I'll say that I've never had a problem having my stuff transferred over. Others seem to though.

UncleStu

My idea on the transfer is simply to avoid any problems & get it done right the first time. Yes, the minutes & days are mine!
It might also go smoothly doing it online at the TF website, most comments I've seen on that were favorable.

I have a couple of micro cards- think an 8gb & a 16gb, plus an SD adapter. It just seems kinda kludgy to me.
Have a USB-Micro USB cable too but it may be proprietary to the Fuji camera it came with. I'd be willing to get
the BT gizmo just for the novelty.

Whatever happens, it'll be fun to have the new toy. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Tech
DMG

Yep. This is kind of a big deal in my opinion. Here's the thing. If a call comes in and the phone is in your pocket then you risk hitting the reject/ignore tab or even hit the answer tab before you even get it out to see who it is. The lock feature would solve this and the feature does exist to lock it as you have obviously found. Unfortunately, someone decided that when it's locked that the option to call 911 is still there and even though the phone/device is locked you can still hit that big red/pink "emergency tab and it calls 911. This is just bad design in my opinion.

There's just no way around it. Lock feature is useless.
The way around the problem Tech outlined is to keep the phone in a leather sleeve or "belt" case when not in use.
There are several on the market, many with a magnetic fastener for quick access. Just putting on a hard case or gel
case might not do it because your screen is still exposed.

In my opinion, throwing your unprotected phone in a purse is a bad idea unless there is a special pocket in the purse.
You are going to wind up with a scratched screen and/or random dialing as you are already experiencing.
If in a fully protected sleeve or belt case, then you can throw it in the purse without worrying.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

UncleStu
August 28, 2013, 3:16 am
My idea on the transfer is simply to avoid any problems & get it done right the first time. Yes, the minutes & days are mine! It might also go smoothly doing it online at the TF website, most comments I've seen on that were favorable.<br /><br />I have a couple of micro cards- think an 8gb & a 16gb, plus an SD adapter. It just seems kinda kludgy to me. Have a USB-Micro USB cable too but it may be proprietary to the Fuji camera it came with. I'd be willing to get the BT gizmo just for the novelty.<br /><br />Whatever happens, it'll be fun to have the new toy. ;) <br /><br />Thanks for the suggestions.
I had trouble with a 32GB microSD card. Could have just been the card, but I went with a 16GB microSD and
haven't experienced any problems with it (yet).

All microSD to USB cables are built to a standard spec. If it is a data cable, then you can use it anywhere.
However, some cables have the data pin disabled and can only be used for charging. You can't always tell by looking.
If you have a cable that came with a charger, chances are the data pin is disabled.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

blueduns
August 27, 2013, 8:51 am
tfuser19
August 26, 2013, 7:14 pm
blueduns

Thanks, BD
"List" option is missing. Tried it on another LG 840G and also missing there. Is there a setting somewhere?
I think it stinks that the carrier knows the number I will be calling back if I chose that option but doesn't disclose.

Maybe if I chose the call back option and end the call before the other end answers, I can get the number that way?

Thanks, BD
"List" if it is available, brings up a list of all your missed calls. There is no option I know of to turn it off or on.
But just in case -- take your battery out,, then re-install it -- Solves an awful lot of problems otherwise inexplicable.

If your "List" option is grayed out, or missing, then it may be because the caller did not furnish a number to store --
i.e., you can't call them back (because there is no number), and you have no other missed calls in the List.

Try calling your cell phone from another number that is not blocked, hang up, and see what happens.

The caller ID function is regulated by the FCC. The carrier is required to allow callers to hide their name and number.
The rationale is that there are people whose identity needs to be protected, such as those in witness protection
programs, abused spouses, those being stalked. And (unfortunately) spammers and marketers creep under that FCC
provision.

tfuser19

DoctorM
August 28, 2013, 7:10 am
If your "List" option is grayed out, or missing, then it may be because the caller did not furnish a number to store --
i.e., you can't call them back (because there is no number), and you have no other missed calls in the List.

Try calling your cell phone from another number that is not blocked, hang up, and see what happens.
@DoctorM,

This is the way my LG 840G works when I make a call to it from a phone with a blocked #:

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/single/?p=455294&t=4935151

"List" WAS NOT grayed out or missing.

@BD,
What happens when you make a LG 840G to LG 840G call as I suggested previously?

UncleStu

The refurb LG 840G arrived today, and it looks like it's brand new- not a mark or scuff anywhere.
I formatted & installed an 8gb microSD card the phone's charging now. Later tonight will get it working on my home wifi.
Gonna have to buy a cable after all, the ones I have on hand are miniUSB, not micro. Rats!

oceans3101

UncleStu

Edit: Here's a link to the video(which was of no help, imo). But scroll down the page & read the post by bcinnash. If that happens here I may have to return that phone! LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgvRu-r3LMw

This is supposed to be the best number to call: 1-800-626-4883.
The one you posted is the second best, I have no idea who decided between the two numbers.

Do not attempt to transfer that many minutes on the website. It works great to activate your new phone if you
are also purchasing minutes. Before you call them go into code entry and write down the numbers you get in
code entry from *#0 and push ok, and then *#30 and ok. These are 2 separate entries.

Bluetooth works well, but a micro usb cable to your computer is faster.
Again, use the phone call for that many minutes.

I think I have seen posts indicating you should not use a card larger than 16.
Google it and I think you will find some posts.

tfuser19

oceans3101
August 28, 2013, 7:06 pm
Do not attempt to transfer that many minutes on the website. It works great to activate your new phone if you
are also purchasing minutes. Before you call them go into code entry and write down the numbers you get in
code entry from *#0 and push ok, and then *#30 and ok. These are 2 separate entries.

Contrary to your recommendation, my preferred method of transferring minutes/days to a new phone is to first
record parameter 0 and 30, etc, then I used the Tracfone website to transfer my old number and minutes (what
ever it will let me) to my new unactivated phone.

This way, I'm not relying on the Tracfone CSR to not lose my current mobile number. Next, I call Tracfone and
ask them to transfer the remaining minutes above the website limit to my new phone.

This approach has worked successfully for me even with 3000+ minutes on the old phone.

My fear is losing my existing number, which I have read happens to people sometimes when they call Tracfone
to do the transfer/activation.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

tfuser19
August 26, 2013, 9:01 pm
@DoctorM,

Did I miss your answer to @bludun's question about why only "Call Back" and "Ignore" are listed for the missed
call ("List" was not displayed from what I read in the question)?

Even if a number is blocked by the caller, my phone shows "Call Back", "List", and "Ignore".

When I click on "List" for this missed blocked number call, the phone displays "Private Number" where the number
or contact name is normally displayed - which all makes sense to me.
I didn't initially address the "List" issue (I took it as a rhetorical question.)

Blueduns may have a hung system (hence the battery pull & re-install), a defective phone, or a different carrier.

At the time, I didn't have another phone available with a blocking option to make a call on. I use Magic Jack as my
"land line" and I didn't see any option on it to hide my number on calls. Anyway, it looks like you covered that base well.

blueduns

tfuser19
August 28, 2013, 5:55 pm
DoctorM
August 28, 2013, 7:10 am

@DoctorM,

This is the way my LG 840G works when I make a call to it from a phone with a blocked #:

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/single/?p=455294&t=4935151

"List" WAS NOT grayed out or missing.

@BD,
What happens when you make a LG 840G to LG 840G call as I suggested previously?
Do you want me to call the LG 840 from an LG 840 that is blocking it's number or not blocking it's number?

Thanks, BD

tfuser19

blueduns
August 29, 2013, 3:03 pm
Do you want me to call the LG 840 from an LG 840 that is blocking it's number or not blocking it's number?

Thanks, BD
If you have the ability to do both, that would be more data = more learning... It would be interesting for you to see
what happens for phone A to phone B call, then phone B to phone A call - repeat once with blocking and without
if you have the ability to block (BTW, how are you blocking the number anyway).

We'll be waiting to see the results of whatever experiments you perform to understand the no "List" mystery on
your phone. :)

UncleStu

For the call blocking problem above- since I haven't seen any reference to this- does the phone show to be roaming?

Just a thought.

bjharris94708

Does anyone know if the LG 840G is enabled to receive WEA (Wireless Emergency Alerts?)

Customer Service told me to download a Tracfone app that will test the phone, and that I had to use the
phone, not my computer... But I cannot find the app using either device.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

bjharris94708
August 29, 2013, 6:23 pm
Does anyone know if the LG 840G is enabled to receive WEA (Wireless Emergency Alerts?)

Customer Service told me to download a Tracfone app that will test the phone, and that I had to use the
phone, not my computer... But I cannot find the app using either device.
Interesting question. I'm still looking into it.

Here is a article that gives a method to determine who is your underlying carrier by sending a text to cell phone from your PC -

http://voices.yahoo.com/tracfone-text-alerts-receive-severe-weather-12160917.html

Change the number, and you can send texts form your PC to any cell phone - for free

EDIT:
It apparently is a feature of both the phone (all phones are not capable) and a service of your underlying carrier (TracFone is not a carrier).

Once you find out who your underlying carrier is, you go to their website, (or call them) and sign up for the service (if they participate.)

Here is another link from AT&T: http://voices.yahoo.com/tracfone-text-alerts-receive-severe-weather-12160917.html

If the phone or the user manual doesn't have the following logo, then it isn't WEA capable.

Posted Image

tfuser19

Those are some unnecessarily long lists of emails to try for Tracfone service.
Tracfone GSM phones should be one of these two
10digitphonenumber@txt.att.net
10digitphonenumber@tmomail.net

and Tracfone CMDA phones should be one of these two
10digitphonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
10digitphonenumber@vtext.com

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

@DoctorM, Your second link is a yahoo link ...... was that really from AT&T as you wrote?
DoctorM
August 29, 2013, 7:19 pm
........ Interesting question. I'm still looking into it.

Here is a article that gives a method to determine who is your underlying carrier by sending a text to cell phone from your PC -

http://voices.yahoo.com/tracfone-text-alerts-receive-severe-weather-12160917.html

Change the number, and you can send texts form your PC to any cell phone - for free

EDIT:
It apparently is a feature of both the phone (all phones are not capable) and a service of your underlying carrier (TracFone is not a carrier).

Once you find out who your underlying carrier is, you go to their website, (or call them) and sign up for the service (if they participate.)

Here is another link from AT&T: http://voices.yahoo.com/tracfone-text-alerts-receive-severe-weather-12160917.html

If the phone or the user manual doesn't have the following logo, then it isn't WEA capable.

Posted Image

DoctorM
Member Avatar

tfuser19
August 29, 2013, 10:16 pm
Those are some unnecessarily long lists of emails to try for Tracfone service.
Tracfone GSM phones should be one of these two
10digitphonenumber@txt.att.net
10digitphonenumber@tmomail.net

and Tracfone CMDA phones should be one of these two
10digitphonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
10digitphonenumber@vtext.com

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

@DoctorM, Your second link is a yahoo link ...... was that really from AT&T as you wrote?
DoctorM
August 29, 2013, 7:19 pm
........ Interesting question. I'm still looking into it.

EDIT:

Posted Image
Oops - posted the same link twice.

The second link should have been

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB410692&cv=820#fbid=cT8wxK45Biz

Leticron

Tusks
January 21, 2013, 2:31 am
On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this phone a luck warm 6 ... And good luck finding a gel case that fits.
I'm quite happy with this one I got off Amazon for $0.01
They obviously make their profits with shipping charges. :) ($4.98 for me)

Anyhow, it fits snug and all holes are in the right position plus it came with a screen protector (which fits nicely too)
and a car charger (which I haven't used yet).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BXKZU8I/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Leticron

marne
August 20, 2013, 11:47 pm
I did install the JAD & JAR file to my SDcard in my phone and ended up getting the signed version of Google
maps by going to http://boostapps.com/jump entering 6944 and all went fine.
Thanks a lot, Marne, it worked like a charm no more untrusted midlet spam. :D)

Leticron

tfuser19
August 14, 2013, 6:25 pm
I have a question related to using UC Browser on the LG 840G:

Using UC Browser, if you navigate to youtube.com and click on a video to play it, does the native video
player open up and play the video (as happens on my Samsung s390g Tracfone) or does the message
"Not supported" get displayed as happens on my LG 840G with UC Browser v9.2.

Clicking on a youtube video using the native browser on either phone results in the native video player
starting up and playing the video. ....... Thanks!
It's a strange thing I must say... Some Youtube videos play on the native browser (for some reason the view
switches to landscape mode but only uses a tiny square in the center of the screen while the sound is some
what less desirable. Neither Opera Mini nor UC browser would do even that. I always get the "not supported"
message.

So as a half-a*** workaround I download the videos I want (usually as .flv), convert them on my pc to .mp4 in
320x240 resolution with aac sound and put them on my phone via usb cable. That way they play full screen with
acceptable sound (c'mon it's just a phone after all. ;) To me it looks like both external browsers are missing the
appr. codec to render youtube material correctly..... If anyone has a working solution, I'm all ears. :) -le

marne
Member Avatar

Doesn't shopcelldeals.com handle Micro USB data cable for the LG840g?

Where can I order one? I want to make sure I get the right kind.

EDIT:I think I found one at Amazon. It says it is for all LG phones.

Whoops tfuser19, you beat me to it here. I put the LG one in my cart to order already.

It is B003VQS47Q Hope that is it.

tfuser19

marne
August 30, 2013, 10:05 pm
.... Is this the one I want?: MicroUSB-Data-Cable/dp/B000X96G1K
That's it! .. USB on one end and microUSB on the other end.

Edit: For about $2 more, you can get a USB charger with a data microUSB cable.

Leticron

marne
July 5, 2013, 2:06 pm
Do you have to be activated to get the calendar M/D/Y to stay where you set it to and for the Clock to show
the right time? Don't know where to set that! (I only have the alarm smack in the middle of screen).
Setting/moving around items on the Widget page It's a bit hidden and I stumbled over it by chance:

If you are on the Widget page, press the "Up" button once (it's the one that turns into the gear button on the
Shortcut- or Contacts-page). That gives you a different set of icons to pick from. Now you can pull those out
of the bar onto your screen, as well as pulling unwanted items back into the bar or simply re-positioning them
on your screen. Once you switch back they'll hold their new position

-le

tfuser19

Leticron,
If the phone has not been activated, there is NO WAY to set the date/time to the correct values.
That info comes from the cell signal once the phone has been activated.

marne
Member Avatar

Leticron
August 31, 2013, 5:53 am
marne
July 5, 2013, 2:06 pm
Do you have to be activated to get the calendar M/D/Y to stay where you set it to and for the Clock to show
the right time? Don't know where to set that! (I only have the alarm smack in the middle of screen).
Setting/moving around items on the Widget page It's a bit hidden and I stumbled over it by chance:
If you are on the Widget page, press the "Up" button once (it's the one that turns into the gear button
on the Shortcut- or Contacts-page). That gives you a different set of icons to pick from. Now you can
pull those out of the bar onto your screen, as well as pulling unwanted items back into the bar or simply
re-positioning them on your screen. Once you switch back they'll hold their new position
-le
Quote:

tfuser19 Today, 7:39 AM
Leticron,
If the phone has not been activated, there is NO WAY to set the date/time to the correct values.
That info comes from the cell signal once the phone has been activated.
Thank you both!
Yes, I did get my phone activated then the Time/Calendar showed real time etc.
I also learned about dragging the Clock Widget down onto the bottom bar to remove it from the screen
to show my wallpaper more. Yay!

For the low cost phone/service, it sure is a beauty.
Slowly I am learning things along with being puzzled and am liking it a lot.

oceans3101

oceans3101
August 28, 2013, 7:06 pm
UncleStu

This is supposed to be the best number to call: 1-800-626-4883.
The one you posted is the second best, I have no idea who decided between the two numbers.

I think I have seen posts indicating you should not use a card larger than 16.
Google it and I think you will find some posts.
Uncle Stu, Did you complete the activation of your 840g?

marne
Member Avatar

DoctorM
August 6, 2013, 5:16 pm
DoctorM: Its worth repeating these TracFone numbers. Put them where you can find them easily again (like in your LG 840G contacts)
phoenix1
July 1, 2013, 1:32 pm
Also, if for some reason you need to contact customer service here are two numbers that are supposed to
be the easiest to use, there is one listed at their website, but try these two first.
This one is supposed to be the best one: 1-800-626-4883
And if that one doesn't work, try this one: 1-800-876-5753
marne
August 6, 2013, 2:59 pm
I did it!
I just came back from buying my yearly service card and having my changeover from the LG 420g over to
the LG 840g.
I got CHEATED out of 700 minutes! The store manager at Radio Shack did the change over and was told by
tracfone I could only have 1,000 minutes of the 1,700 I had on my old phone. Disappointing! I thought I read
on here that they pulled that on other people too?
What can I do about it? I will have to see if I can find where I read something on it.
The first number did not work for me like stated below.
Quote:

I called the first number and a woman answered, and when I started to explain, all of a sudden some music started
blasting drowning me out so I dialed the 2nd number and a male answered. I explained about only getting 1,000 of
my minutes transferred over to my new phone and he looked it up and knew exactly how many minutes I had on the
old phone and what I didn't get so he gave them to me! .. YAHOO!
The second number is where I got the rest of my minutes I had coming that TF would not carry over.

tfuser19

Leticron
August 30, 2013, 11:53 am
It's a strange thing I must say... Some Youtube videos play on the native browser (for some reason the view
switches to landscape mode but only uses a tiny square in the center of the screen while the sound is some
what less desirable. Neither Opera Mini nor UC browser would do even that. I always get the "not supported"
message.

So as a half-a*** workaround I download the videos I want (usually as .flv), convert them on my pc to .mp4 in
320x240 resolution with aac sound and put them on my phone via usb cable. That way they play full screen with
acceptable sound (c'mon it's just a phone after all. ;) To me it looks like both external browsers are missing the
appr. codec to render youtube material correctly..... If anyone has a working solution, I'm all ears. :) -le
Thanks!

What's the length of a typical long video that you can convert then play on the LG 840G and about how big is the file?
Just wondering.

The conversion process to play videos on the LG 840G seems too time consuming for me when I can just pick up
my S390G and play the video with it, so I don't see myself doing any conversions anytime soon.

UncleStu

Yes, phone is activated. I mentally flipped a coin & went the "internet activation/transfer, then call" route. I knew
the website was gonna short me on minutes, but wasn't really prepared for the magnitude of it.. Minutes on old
phone: 2389.5. Minutes transferred to the new phone by the website: 480! That's only 20%, a loss of 80%!

I then called- the number recommended above informed me that it was closed for the day, so used the number
in my quoted post above. Only about 5 minutes on hold & a rep got things underway.. Probably took almost 30
minutes in all, but it wasn't so bad.

Result: Phone is ready to go, using the same TF cell # I've had since ~Dec 2006. Minutes: 2389.5 plus 20 min in
the "new refurb" phone gave 2410 minutes- if you do the math you'll see I got a whole half minute as a bonus! ;)
Service left on the old phone was also extended by 60 days, went from 6/14/2014 to 8/13/2014.

Also got it going with my wireless router here at home, and checked it on other Wifi at our local public library.
We got WiFi, seems to be no problem with that.

I haven't tried downloading any alternate browsers or apps yet. I can report that here at home it often cycles from
"Home" to "No Service" to "Roam". When it goes Roam, I can often get it to go back to Home by getting on the inet
via wifi, spending a few minutes, & then getting off the internet. Not always, but maybe 4 times out of 5. And so far
it has *Not* use any call time when shifting in & out of Home mode.

internet on the small screen stuck in Portait mode is really irritating. Any way to put it in Landscape in the stock browser?

Ordered a cable for it.

Also found some cheap screen protectors: the protectors on Azon, mfg by Guarmor, $6.50 for 5, look to be the lcd
screen protectors to get- but 5 of 'em? I found an offer of 2 of the same ones, sold by the same co, on Ebay for
$1.80 mailed. Even if I ruin the 1st try surely can get the 2nd one on .

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-LG-840G-LG840G-Tracfone-Clear-LCD-Screen-Protector-Guard-Shield

Tess

chanoman
August 8, 2013, 2:32 am
FINALLY EUREKA! the cause is stupidly simple... ANYTIME the "Shortcut" menu is on the main screen, the
phone will default to the "increasing volume ring" regardless of the position of the switch in the settings!

If "Widgets" or "Contacts" are on the main screen, the phone rings properly. Even if there are no shortcuts on
the "shortcut" menu and its on the main screen, it will ring increasingly. Test it for yourself. Leave the "shortcut"
menu up, and turn off the screen or let it turn off, or even call while the screen is on.

I doubt there's a fix, but at least the workaround is simple. Swipe away the "shortcut" menu or hit the end key
to go to "widgets". The harder part is remembering to do that when you are used to leaving your shortcuts up
like me.
Yes!!
I set up my 840G a couple of days ago, and was so proud of myself that I figured out I could create a ringtone
through iTunes, had the size and length right, sent it by BT to the phone. It was there! It worked! (It is an mp3,
not DRM (it's a snippet from a friend's song), bitrate 128, size 269kb)

BUT... I could barely hear it - it was the equivalent of "1" from the settings. When I tested it through the "volume"
setting, it was as loud as the default ringtones, and for me, "4" is plenty loud enough. I set it to "7", but when I
called my phone, I couldn't hear it, and it would get just a tiny bit louder. I had "increasing volume ring" OFF.

I asked on another forum, it was driving me crazy. I kept testing and calling myself, and discovered... as long
as it is NOT on "shortcuts" (so is on "widget" or "contacts") from the Home menu, it is as loud as it should be.
If it IS on "shortcuts" It is almost silent.

I searched and searched, and found this post of yours, and jumped for joy... at least I'm not losing my mind! Phew!
(This does happen with all the ringtones, but the default ones start out louder than the custom ones I made.)

Now... if this is only happening to the two of us, is this an indication that there is something wrong with our phones?
Or, a way other than remembering to stay away from "shortcuts"?

tfuser19

UncleStu
September 1, 2013, 6:06 pm
Yes, phone is activated. I mentally flipped a coin & went the "internet activation/transfer, then call" route. I knew
the website was gonna short me on minutes, but wasn't really prepared for the magnitude of it.. Minutes on old
phone: 2389.5. Minutes transferred to the new phone by the website: 480! That's only 20%, a loss of 80%!

I then called- the number recommended above informed me that it was closed for the day, so used the number
in my quoted post above. Only about 5 minutes on hold & a rep got things underway.. Probably took almost 30
minutes in all, but it wasn't so bad.
@UncleStu,
480 minutes ..... that's odd ... I thought the website limit was 1100 minutes at minimum.

So I'm sure you'd agree that using the website to do a transfer/new activation, then calling TF customer service is
still the way to go next time... I'd feel more confident that my phone number won't get lost and I think there's less
codes that need to be entered during the call to Tracfone customer service after the 1st part of the process is done
on the website (vs doing the entire process over the phone).

Leticron

tfuser19
September 1, 2013, 10:51 am
What's the length of a typical long video that you can convert then play on the LG 840G and about how big is the file?
Just wondering.

The conversion process to play videos on the LG 840G seems too time consuming for me when I can just pick up
my S390G and play the video with it, so I don't see myself doing any conversions anytime soon.
Well I don't really care much about youtube. So far I converted 2 Seasons of Supernatural which takes about
5-10 minutes per show (but that largely depends on your computer).
Mine run's 24/7 anyways and those conversions run as background process.

Size is roughly 4.5 GB per season (23 shows a 50 minutes) I grabbed a 16 GB micro SD card so I'm good.
But you're right why bother if you can just pick up the other phone. :)
-le

Leticron

tfuser19
August 31, 2013, 8:39 am
Leticron... If the phone has not been activated, there is NO WAY to set the date/time to the correct values.
You're absolutely correct! I didn't mean to imply that one could set time/date while the phone isn't activated.
I just talked about the way I found by chance to remove the time/date widget from "smack in the middle".
It's kinda frustrating to spend hours to look for the perfect wall just to have it covered by widgets ya know. :)
-le

Tarkio101

If anyone is interested, I just ordered another 840g in white on HSN. They are selling it for 79.95 with 1400 minutes.
Plus the usual car charger, your choice of different colored backs, and free shipping. It's on 3 flex pays, so it's under
27 bucks to get home.

I didn't really want/need a new phone, but I will need minutes in the next couple of months, so I went ahead and got
this deal. Not sure how long it lasts, but as of 9-5, 10 30 pm central, it's available. It's the cheapest I've seen the 840g
with the 1400 minutes.

tfuser19

@Tarkio101,
HOT DEAL: HSN.com White Tracfone LG 840G $79.95 tax free shipping

I don't c car charger in this offer .... am I missing it?

Tarkio101

I see it on the product page on their website. I assumed it was correct info. It may not show in the picture, but it is listed.

tfuser19

@Tarkio101, Thanks - now I see it under Overview - Car charger.

sbratcher

Just transferred minutes and time from my LG 800g to my new LG 840g on the website.

Got all of my 1110 minutes and 45 more days!!!

sbratcher

Hey DOC,
I've looked and looked on here but can't find how to access point on my 840g to WLAN. Can you or someone help???

jflusche

I just purchased an LG 840g phone and transferred all time and minutes successfully.

I have much to learn. One is how to add apps to the phone... Can someone help me?

Joanne Flusche

DoctorM
Member Avatar

sbratcher
September 6, 2013, 3:28 pm
Hey DOC,
I've looked and looked on here but can't find how to access point on my 840g to WLAN. Can you or someone help???
If you are referring to your home network, you need a wireless access point somewhere in the Internet access
system installed in your home.

Many service providers, such as AT&T Uverse, include wireless access at no extra cost. In that case you need to
know the name of your home wireless network, which you get from the service provider (in this example, AT&T).

Then you can turn on the LG 840G's wireless feature ([::] > WiFi) and it then will search and display a list of all
the WiFi networks broadcasting in your vicinity. You select your WiFi network, which will probably (should) ask
for a password. In the case of AT&T Uverse, it sets the WiFi network name and password (The AT&T password
is the Wireless Network Key printed on the side of the Gateway AT&T provides. Don't give this out to anyone else
- it protects you from electronic intruders.)

If you have another provider, then you need to ask them for the WiFi Network name and password for your account.

If your Internet service provider does not supply WiFi, then you will have to buy and install a wireless entry point.
This could be a dongle that attaches to your provider's internet access box, or a router or hub with built-in WiFi.
In those cases you may be able to set your own network name and password. You may also have to hire a geek
to set it up for you.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
September 5, 2013, 11:41 pm
If anyone is interested, I just ordered another 840g in white on HSN. They are selling it for 79.95 with 1400 minutes.
Plus the usual car charger, your choice of different colored backs, and free shipping. It's on 3 flex pays, so it's under
27 bucks to get home.

I didn't really want/need a new phone, but I will need minutes in the next couple of months, so I went ahead and got
this deal. Not sure how long it lasts, but as of 9-5, 10 30 pm central, it's available. It's the cheapest I've seen the 840g
with the 1400 minutes.
Wow, great timing. Thanks for posting!

I was just about to buy a TracFone 450 minute - 90-day card for my daughter for the same price... Now I got a free
phone upgrade (from the LG 800G) for her with more minutes and more time, plus a alternate back, plus 3 payments.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

The LG 840G $79.95 deal is on the HSN channel right now.

mharris127

DoctorM
September 6, 2013, 5:45 pm
sbratcher
Hey DOC,
If you are referring to your home network, you need a wireless access point somewhere in the Internet access

Many service providers, such as AT&T Uverse, include wireless access at no extra cost. In that case you need to
know the name of your home wireless network, which you get from the service provider (in this example, AT&T).

Then you can turn on the LG 840G's wireless feature ([::] > WiFi) and it then will search and display a list of all
the WiFi networks broadcasting in your vicinity. You select your WiFi network, which will probably (should) ask
for a password. In the case of AT&T Uverse, it sets the WiFi network name and password (The AT&T password
is the Wireless Network Key printed on the side of the Gateway AT&T provides. Don't give this out to anyone else

If you have another provider, then you need to ask them for the WiFi Network name and password for your account.

If your Internet service provider does not supply WiFi, then you will have to buy and install a wireless entry point.
This could be a dongle that attaches to your provider's internet access box, or a router or hub with built-in WiFi.
In those cases you may be able to set your own network name and password. You may also have to hire a geek
to set it up for you.
My router name and password is on the back of my router.
I have the standard Westell wireless router from Frontier DSL (our local land line phone company).

DoctorM
Member Avatar

mharris127
September 7, 2013, 6:08 am
DoctorM
September 6, 2013, 5:45 pm
sbratcher
Hey DOC,

to set it up for you.
My router name and password is on the back of my router.
I have the standard Westell wireless router from Frontier DSL (our local land line phone company).
If you turn on the WiFi on the LG 840G ([::] > WiFi) and your WiFi Network name doesn't show up on the
LG 840G list of available WiFi networks, then it may be that your wireless router is not set to broadcast its
identifier -- in which case the LG 840G won't see it.

If that is the case, then you must set it to broadcast its identifier... Ask your service provider how to do that.
You may be able to control it from your PC, or the box may have a switch on it, or the service provider may
be able to do it for you.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

jflusche
September 6, 2013, 3:36 pm
I just purchased an LG 840g phone and transferred all time and minutes successfully.

I have much to learn. One is how to add apps to the phone... Can someone help me?

Joanne Flusche
The LG 840G only takes Java2ME apps... And there aren't many good apps available - maybe less than 100
compared to the tens of thousands available for Android and Apple products. And the Java2ME market is not
regulated like Apple regulates apps, and Google regulates Android apps.

Most of the apps you get free from sources like UMnet won't work good or at all on the LG 840G.
When you do get an app, it likely won't fit your screen or the controls won't work for a touchscreen.

That being said, there is a source that I use that has about 65+ apps and games that have been specifically
modified to work on the LG 840G.

You can find the link and discussion on page 11 (posts 1084, 1089, 1091 ...)

Tarkio101

DoctorM
September 6, 2013, 6:54 pm
Tarkio101
September 5, 2013, 11:41 pm
27 bucks to get home.

with the 1400 minutes.
Wow, great timing. Thanks for posting!

I was just about to buy a TracFone 450 minute - 90-day card for my daughter for the same price... Now I got a free
phone upgrade (from the LG 800G) for her with more minutes and more time, plus a alternate back, plus 3 payments.
My pleasure. I was in the same boat, needing minutes soon, and this deal was too good to pass up.
Mine has already shipped, so it shouldn't be long.

One advantage for me is the fact that I've downloaded so many garbage apps that are really who knows what,
that I can keep this new phone clean and not have who knows what installed on it. That always made me a little
nervous before--when an app simply didn't work correctly, well, that happens... But when you install something
and all it seems to be is some file, and not even an app or anything recognizable, that worried me. I get a second
chance with this phone now.

ge0rge

A month or so ago, I posted about gmail not working on the built-in email client unless POP3 is configured rather
than IMAP. That still works fine, but now I discovered another problem... That is, I can't receive any attachments
using the built-in email. Attachments work OK if I use the browser to get the email. But neither gmail nor hotmail
attachments work with teh built-in email. deoes anybody else have this problem? I've tried all kinds of attachments,
including *jpg and *.vcf. No luck.

tfuser19

ge0rge
September 8, 2013, 7:47 pm
A month or so ago, I posted about gmail not working on the built-in email client unless POP3 is configured rather
than IMAP. That still works fine, but now I discovered another problem... That is, I can't receive any attachments
using the built-in email. Attachments work OK if I use the browser to get the email. But neither gmail nor hotmail
attachments work with teh built-in email. deoes anybody else have this problem? I've tried all kinds of attachments,
including *jpg and *.vcf. No luck.
@ge0rge,

Just for clarification the problem is that gmail (you did not mention gmail in your last post) currently does not work
on an LG 840G when accessed via IMAP.

This problem does not occur on my Samsung s390g Tracfone where I can access gmail using both IMAP and POP3.

regarding attachments:
I just sent myself a test email with a .jpg attachment and .txt attachment. Rcvd both on my LG 840G from Yahoo! mail
using POP3 and was able to retrieve both attachments. The .jpg image displayed fine and contents of the .txt file was
displayed correctly on the LG 840G.

Here's were it got weird. Repeated the same experiment with my gmail account on the LG 840G and the S390G.
The S390G works fine! The LG 840G only let me see the 2nd attachment. If I attached .txt 1st, I could only retrieve
and see .jpg - if .jpg was attached 1st, I could only retrieve and see .txt ....... not good.

Finally, I send a test email with 3 attachments and determined that the 1st one never makes it in the downloaded
email on the LG840G - because it only let me download and see the later 2 attachments. I verified that all attachments
were present and good because my S390G would always show at allow me to open the correct number that was sent
in the original email.

So yet another bug in the LG 840G. :(

ge0rge

Here's something y'all might already know, but it was news to me... If you attempt to send email from the built-in client via WiFi and the email is large (has an attachment, for example), then your phone might go into auto screen lock before the email is fully sent. If you have WiFi configured to sleep when the phone goes into screen lock (which I think is the default), the email won't be sent. My experience (several experiments) indicates that even if you go out of screen lock and get reconnected to WiFi, the email doesn't get sent reliably. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Specifically, what I was doing was emailing contact info to my home email. It worked fine for several vcf files that I sent without going into screen lock. But once that screen lock interruption happened, I can no longer send contact information successfully. The little green arrow on the email icon at the top of the screen slides left to right for awhile, indicating that email is going out. But I never receive the message. I've tried powering off/on and various other things. But no luck. It's as if that email interruption has messed up the ability to send contact information. I'll keep experimenting and give an update posting if I discover anything new.

As to the original email interruption problem, it seems like the only way to work around this is to set the WiFi auto sleep setting to NEVER while the email was being sent. Then, after the email send finishes, set it back to WHEN SCREEN TURNS OFF. If I ever get back to being able to email contact information, I'll try that and see if it fixes the problem But for now, I can't use email to backup my contacts.

If anybody has a different experience, please let me know. I might be seeing this incorrectly ...... Thanks

geo

tfuser19

@ge0rge,
I would delete the email configuration and re-add it to see if it fixes the problem of not being able to email contacts.

ge0rge

tfuser19
September 8, 2013, 8:21 pm
Finally, I send a test email with 3 attachments and determined that the 1st one never makes it in the downloaded
email on the LG 840G - because it only let me download and see the later 2 attachments... I verified that all
attachments were present and good because my S390G would always show at allow me to open the correct
number that was sent in the original email.

So yet another bug in the LG 840G. :(
Yep, I confirmed your findings. The first attachment never gets displayed in a gmail account. :'(

UPDATE: The same problem exists with Hotmail accounts. :( :( :(

ge0rge

Here's an update to my earlier posting about problems sending contact information (*.vcf files). It seems to me that if you have multiple email accounts configured, when you try to email contact information, the phone automatically selects the first of those multiple accounts to use for sending the *.vcf file. I've found no way to configure which email account is used. The first one in the list seems to be the default. So what was happening to me was that the interrupted email (when the phone went into auto screen lock) was stuck in the outbox of that first email account. And it never got sent. Thus, when I tied to send more *.vcf files, they just piled up behind that first one (which was stuck). I went into the outbox of that email account and deleted that stuck message. Now all is A-OK again.

I suppose we must all be geeks to really get the most out of these phones. But it seems to me that the phone should be smart enough to know that if there is activity (like outbound email) in progress when the screen is auto-locked, then WiFi should stay on until that activity completes. But that doesn't seem to be so. Oh well..... I learned something again.

geo

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.