Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: .... What grade would you give Tracfone/Net10/Straight Talk's customer service?
A
B
C
D
F
Poll Maker
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 6 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) LG 840g Phone Topic
Topic Started: September 24, 2012, 12:41 am (160,355 Views)
phoenix1
Member Avatar

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts, or questions on this phone, please post it all here... thanks.

* Here is the Tracfone LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?
* Here is the Net10 LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey marne, here's some links that might help you. I don't believe the case that Best Buy is selling will work with
the LG 840, you basically need to get the cases that are made for each model of phones. Amazon has the best
selection and the best prices. You can check them out here.

Right now I'm using the basic silicone case, they come in some really cool colors and a few others here have
tried the new hybrid cases that have both silicone and a hard case and they seem to like them.

These are some screen protectors that I've used and aren't bad. I get all the accessories from Amazon because
the prices are so much better: Amazon screen protectors

This is a link to YouTube explaining how to apply them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JA8kCyj2sw

This a link that does a decent review and it may answer some of your questions: http://www.youtube.com/watch

There is a way to remove the clock from the middle of the screen, but I'll have to get my phone out and try to
remember what I did- lol. I think the phone must be activated to set the correct time because when it's activated
the phone will know your location and it will read your time zone. I've always activated my phones as soon as I
get them since all time and minutes are rolled over from the old phone, so I'm not sure if it needs to be activated
for the other things.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

firebird

New member but have been reading for some time. Anyway, this took some time to determine but I've discovered
that my LG 840g seems to have a heat issue. I usually carry it in my pocket and it seems after 3hrs or more I loose
my 3G cell connection... I take it out of my pocket & set it down, with no connection, for 10-15mins & then I have 3
bars...... Any experience with this?

marne
Member Avatar

phoenix1
July 7, 2013, 12:09 pm
Hey marne, here's some links that might help you. I don't believe the case that Best Buy is selling will work with
the LG 840, you basically need to get the cases that are made for each model of phones. Amazon has the best
selection and the best prices. You can check them out here.

Right now I'm using the basic silicone case, they come in some really cool colors and a few others here have
tried the new hybrid cases that have both silicone and a hard case and they seem to like them.

These are some screen protectors that I've used and aren't bad. I get all the accessories from Amazon because
the prices are so much better: Amazon screen protectors

This is a link to YouTube explaining how to apply them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JA8kCyj2sw

This a link that does a decent review and it may answer some of your questions: http://www.youtube.com/watch
THANK you... Instead of asking how to use the Tracfone, I should ask how to use searching skills... I have been to
Amazon but never came up with the page your URL brought me to which is superb! I found a "skinomi" in my search
but---------?
I did try out the WiFi from free hotspot which made me grin from ear to ear. Some things didn't make sense to me but I
did manage to bring up the Google page. Couldn't get past the page saying "This domain is successfully pointing to a
Zetaboard server etc. etc." to get to this forum. What heck is my Domain Manager in Administrator Contrl Panel on the
phone? .. How do I get to and how does one sign in on the phone?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

firebird
July 7, 2013, 6:27 pm
New member but have been reading for some time. Anyway, this took some time to determine but I've discovered
that my LG 840g seems to have a heat issue. I usually carry it in my pocket and it seems after 3hrs or more I loose
my 3G cell connection... I take it out of my pocket & set it down, with no connection, for 10-15mins & then I have 3
You are the first I have heard to report a heat problem. Some have reported reception problems.

Are you carrying it in your pants pocket? in tight jeans? Might be too close to your body... If you are walking or
jogging, the body puts out a lot of heat, and if the phone is tight against your leg or other body part, it could affect
the phone.

The antenna is in the lower part of the phone, and for best reception you should try to hold the phone so you are
not grasping the bottom half.

I carry mine either in a loose shirt pocket, or in a belt-clip case with lots of ventilation. In the car, I set it on a tray
out of the sun (connects to my vehicle's voice activation system by Bluetooth).

phoenix1
Member Avatar

marne
July 8, 2013, 3:38 pm
THANK you... Instead of asking how to use the Tracfone, I should ask how to use searching skills... I have been to
Amazon but never came up with the page your URL brought me to which is superb! I found a "skinomi" in my search
but---------?
I did try out the WiFi from free hotspot which made me grin from ear to ear. Some things didn't make sense to me but I
did manage to bring up the Google page. Couldn't get past the page saying "This domain is successfully pointing to a
Zetaboard server etc. etc." to get to this forum. What heck is my Domain Manager in Administrator Contrl Panel on the
phone? .. How do I get to and how does one sign in on the phone?
If you go to Amazon, just put in LG 840g in the search bar, all kinds of things will show up. If you want to check
out all the stuff available, click on the 'accessories' link, or just click on cases or screen protectors. The screen
protector link I posted was one I had in my 'library' since I have ordered from them before... Yea, steer clear of
that 'skinomi' stuff, all that is is an over priced sticker that offers no protection.

This is the case I use, it's simple, basic and gets the job done, not to mention the price is right - lol.
LG 840g silicone case ... This link is for someone I've ordered from before and they aren't bad.

As for the other stuff, I don't usually go online with the phone so I'm not sure what that all means. I have used
YouTube to watch one of my favorite videos, but it's really small, but if you go to landscape mode it's better...
I wish there was a way to get the videos to fill up the screen.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
firebird:

* firebird ... hi ... let me throw in my 2 cents worth of information along with DoctorM's info above...
* I remember back on the last page, that member Tech had this to say... so I went looking for his post...
Tech
June 16 2013
Post #1232
Don't know if it has been mentioned, but the LG 840g has a heat sensor... So then if you leave it out in the
sun or something, it will start beeping to let you know before eventually shutting itself off.
* Maybe since this phone has a heat sensor, that is why your phone started acting up in the heat? (just sayin')
* Anyway, that's all I got, sorry .... told you it was only worth 2 cents ..... or maybe just 1 cent? (LOL) ;)

Two Cents Turk B-)

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Marne wrote:

Do you have to be activated to get the calendar M/D/Y to stay where you set it to and for the Clock to show the right time?

--------------------------------

Yes, the phone has to be activated for the month/day/year and the clock to show the correct date and time.

ShadowDancer :)

marne
Member Avatar

phoenix1
July 8, 2013, 8:01 pm
This is the case I use, it's simple, basic and gets the job done, not to mention the price is right - lol.
LG 840g silicone case ... This link is for someone I've ordered from before and they aren't bad.
Thank you so much. I started my order with Amazon last night and am glad I waited to see your post here.
As far as the $$ for the case you use, I may have to take out a loan? (smiles)

I am on my netbook right now so will close and go finish my ordering on my desktop. Thanks!

THANK YOU ShadowDancer for your answer to my other post.

Urge

Is it possible to buy a replacement back cover for the LG 840G? I'm talking the actual back cover for the phone.

Urge

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Urge
July 9, 2013, 12:41 pm
Is it possible to buy a replacement back cover for the LG 840G? I'm talking the actual back cover for the phone.
HSN used to provide LG 840G's with a 2nd back (choice of many colors). I would think they might have a lot of
them laying around... I didn't see any such in their online shopping ads, but you might call them and ask if they
have any, or where they got theirs.

I (and many others who bought from HSN when they offered that deal) probably have an extra one they don't use.
I have the original back (black)) that I don't use - because I use the red one I got from HSN. Seems to me that some
one else on this forum (Tech?, or Tarkio101?) also got one he didn't like. Maybe they still have it and want to sell it.

How much you want to pay for it? Maybe I'll sell you mine.

Urge

I just want to have a backup cover because they feel cheap to me. I don't care what color it is.

What are you thinking? ... I'd pay $2-3.

Urge

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ Urge
I'd want $10 or $15 for mine. But look though the earlier postings on this forum. Someone posted that they hated
the extra back they got from HSN -- called it cheap and flimsy. Seems to me it was either Tech or Tarkio101, but I
could be wrong. If you find them, they may be more willing to part with it on the cheap.

Also, I'd still call HSN by phone on the off-hand chance they had some extra backs laying around... I googled the
item, but didn't come up with anything but the gel covers and skins.

EDIT: It was Tarkio101's post #331 on page 4.

marne
Member Avatar

I ordered screen protectors and a 2 piece "puppy cover" from Amazon yesterday and low and behold, when I went
to Walmart this morning, I found a case that fit PERFECTLY to use for protection of the phone.

The case may be something only women would want to carry in their purses as I can't see it being used for answering
calls and calling from your pocket "fast". (Zippered).. It is really for a camera but I find perfect for the LG 840 "storage"?

URL to see it: http://www.lowepro.com/about-us/news-and-events/press-releases/lowepro-introduces-sausalito

EDIT: It fits SNUG! NO sliding around inside. Has an attached microfiber cloth inside for the screen side to lay
against and a Ring through loop to attach a chain to. Doubt if it will fit after I install the cover I bought for it.
Will see.. If not, I still like it! It is softly cushioned inside and out. The outside is like a suede.
Edited by marne, July 21, 2013, 6:35 am.

Urge

Thanks Doc, but too much... How did you find that post by Tarkio? .. I know you didn't scroll thru all 14 pages.

Urge

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Urge
July 10, 2013, 7:09 pm
Thanks Doc, but too much... How did you find that post by Tarkio? .. I know you didn't scroll thru all 14 pages.
No, I didn't need to look through all the posts. I knew it was an early post a couple of posts before I posted that I received
my LG 840G. So I could zip through the early pages really quick, just skimming my own posts... It went pretty fast.

Tarkio101

Urge
July 10, 2013, 9:37 am
I just want to have a backup cover because they feel cheap to me. I don't care what color it is.
What are you thinking? ... I'd pay $2-3.
Yep, it was me who didn't care for the extra back they received... I chose the red color.

watsonk

Does anyone know how to increase the number of rings on LG 840g before sending the incoming call to voicemail?

marne
Member Avatar

I am getting ready for the change over to LG 840g.

I do not have a Micro USB Data cable and was wondering if a person can use the MicroSD card for transferring
stuff to the phone the same way?

What I mean is: Can I put the .jad and .jar files on the card from the PC then put the card back into into the phone
and get the Google maps OK?

Don't know about being able to do the "6944" way? I need baby steps.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

marne
July 12, 2013, 3:06 am
I am getting ready for the change over to LG 840g.

I do not have a Micro USB Data cable and was wondering if a person can use the MicroSD card for transferring
stuff to the phone the same way?

What I mean is: Can I put the .jad and .jar files on the card from the PC then put the card back into into the phone
and get the Google maps OK?

Don't know about being able to do the "6944" way? I need baby steps.
Yes -- You can tranfer using the microSD card. Be sure to use the folders the LG 840G puts on the microSD card.
Put your .jar and .jad files in the folder named Other Files.. When the microSD is back in the phone, you have to
install the .jad and .jar files from the built-in File Manager app -- using it go to the Other Folder and select the file
you want, and you will get an option to install it.

stan7246

I just purchased the LG 840. What I forgot to ask before purchasing was whether the phone could read QR codes
or if I could download an app to do so? It is possible to read QR codes on the phone and view the content on the
phone or does the information read have to be uploaded to a PC to be read?

Curmudgeon

I haven't used my LG 840g lately. (Santa got a smartphone for me, and I now use Tracfone as a backup) When
I turned it on today, every one of my contacts were entered twice! What was the likely cause, and how should I
deal with it?

Thanks

Snacktime
Member Avatar

stan7246
July 13, 2013, 1:50 pm
It is possible to read QR codes on the phone and view the content on the phone or does the information
read have to be uploaded to a PC to be read?
See post #1203 and #1205 on Page 13 ... There's a version of NeoReader that will open URLs in the phone's
browser from scanned QR. I haven't gotten contact importing to work. A limitation of the unsupported NeoReader
software on the 840G is that it treats all scanned QR code data like a URL, even if it's biz card format, plain text,
map coordinates, etc.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Curmudgeon
July 13, 2013, 2:39 pm
I haven't used my LG 840g lately. (Santa got a smartphone for me, and I now use Tracfone as a backup) When
I turned it on today, every one of my contacts were entered twice! What was the likely cause, and how should I
deal with it? ....... Thanks
Once I pushed a button somehow that downloaded all my contacts from facebook. While I have a fairly wide circle
of friends on facebook, I have a very small circle of people I share my cell phone number with. So I took some time
to delete all the extra entries.

As I remember when I first ported my contact lists, I also got some double entries, and if you mistakenly port from
the same device more than once, the entries aren't overwritten, they are simply listed again.

I still don't know why that happened, but what I suggest is you take out the battery and reinsert it, then just delete
the offending entries.

watsonk

watsonk
July 11, 2013, 2:21 am
Does anyone know how to increase the number of rings on LG 840g before sending the incoming call to voicemail?
In LG 840g, under Sound Settings -> Ringtone -> Increasing ..., the "Increasing ..." is an ON/OFF switch.. I suppose
that it is trying to increase the volume of the ringtone gradually instead of steady loudness. This setting has nothing
to do with what I want to accomplish.

On incoming calls, my LG 840g would ring for 15 seconds, then the calls would transfer to Voicemail automatically.
I want to increase the ring time before heading to Voicemail.

I contacted Tracfone Support. The first line of support was unable to resolve my problem. I was forwarded to the
second line of support. The second line of support had to contact the Carrier for assistance. After conversations
between Tracfone and Carrier, I was told that my phone can be configured (by Carrier) to ring 30 seconds before
going to Voicemail. After the configuration, I am happy with the phone performance.

My recent dealing with Tracfone Support has been positive. They are courteous and express concern about my need.

Sprocketman

Just bought another LG 840g, this time in white.

HSN has it for $99 with 1400 minutes, a year of service, and an iLuv speaker system. Hard to beat that.

Link to HSN page

Urge

I made a ringtone for my LG 840G... It was 40 seconds of a song so my phone rings for 40 seconds.

Urge

Urge

Tarkio101 wrote...
Quote:

Yep, it was me who didn't care for the extra back they received... I chose the red color.
Any interest in getting rid of it? .. For $2-3.?

Urge

rap1001

I'm looking at getting an LG 840g either thru HSN or QVC... I'm currently rocking the latest in technology in
Motorola w370 (doesn't even have a camera!) but surprisingly this thing still works. I also carry an Android
tablet with me most of the time.

Unfortunately tracfone still doesn't have an Android phone so I can share my contacts. Features I'm looking
for primarily are easy texting and hands free operation as that is becoming the law while driving. I just want
to be able to answer calls and talk while driving. My car doesn't have bluetooth built in.

Will I need an external bluetooth speaker or headset or is the built in speaker loud enough? .... Thanks!

DoctorM
Member Avatar

rap1001
July 15, 2013, 9:30 am
I'm looking at getting an LG 840g either thru HSN or QVC... I'm currently rocking the latest in technology in
Motorola w370 (doesn't even have a camera!) but surprisingly this thing still works. I also carry an Android
tablet with me most of the time.

Unfortunately tracfone still doesn't have an Android phone so I can share my contacts. Features I'm looking
for primarily are easy texting and hands free operation as that is becoming the law while driving. I just want
to be able to answer calls and talk while driving. My car doesn't have bluetooth built in.

Will I need an external bluetooth speaker or headset or is the built in speaker loud enough? .... Thanks!
Yes, you will need some kind of bluetooth hands-free device to interface with the LG 840G.

marne
Member Avatar

DoctorM
July 12, 2013, 4:33 am
Yes -- You can tranfer using the microSD card. Be sure to use the folders the LG 840G puts on the microSD card.
Put your .jar and .jad files in the folder named Other Files.. When the microSD is back in the phone, you have to
install the .jad and .jar files from the built-in File Manager app -- using it go to the Other Folder and select the file
Thank you SO much DoctorM!
I am on my desktop now and just got through putting the .jar and .jad onto my camera microSD card into folder
named Other Files.

Now when I put the card back into the camera, do I install it and it is installed without my having to have done
anything before hand like having Google maps etc.? Probably a stupid question but I have to go back and read
again how to get Google maps and with the .j's

Thank you... I would never have known to do what you said about the Other Files and File Manager. I am still
playing with an unactivated phone in case I screw it up. (smiles)

DoctorM
Member Avatar

marne
July 15, 2013, 10:24 am
DoctorM
July 12, 2013, 4:33 am
Thank you SO much DoctorM!
I am on my desktop now and just got through putting the .jar and .jad onto my camera microSD card into folder
named Other Files.

Now when I put the card back into the camera, do I install it and it is installed without my having to have done
anything before hand like having Google maps etc.? Probably a stupid question but I have to go back and read
again how to get Google maps and with the .j's

Thank you... I would never have known to do what you said about the Other Files and File Manager. I am still
playing with an unactivated phone in case I screw it up. (smiles)
You are using the word "camera." Do you mean putting the microSD card back in the phone? If so, it installs
itself - nothing extra for you to do.

Once you place the microSD card in the phone and put the back cover on, just turn the phone back on, go to
File Manager, find your files, and tap on them. A menu option should pop up to install them.

If Google Maps is one of your transferred .jar files, just tap on it while you are in File manager and it will give
you an option to install it.

marne
Member Avatar

DoctorM
July 15, 2013, 12:05 pm
You are using the word "camera." Do you mean putting the microSD card back in the phone? If so, it installs
Once you place the microSD card in the phone and put the back cover on, just turn the phone back on, go to
File Manager, find your files, and tap on them. A menu option should pop up to install them.
If Google Maps is one of your transferred .jar files, just tap on it while you are in File manager and it will give
O'MGosh! Yes I meant phone!
I think of it as a camera cause I was putting pictures on the card to use as wallpaper. Sorry.

I didn't get to Google maps yet to understand what to do.
I am hoping I will be able to figure this out to get it OK:
http://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-install-google-maps-on-lg-840g.html ?

I don't even know what the .jar files are. Only that it was posted here to get for Google maps as a zipped file which
I downloaded and opened on my desktop computer to get the two files (.jar .jad) whatever they are? :$
I may get a prize for being the most stupid here. :unsure:

DoctorM
Member Avatar

marne
July 16, 2013, 3:35 am
DoctorM
I think of it as a camera cause I was putting pictures on the card to use as wallpaper. Sorry.

http://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-install-google-maps-on-lg-840g.html ?

I don't even know what the .jar files are. Only that it was posted here to get for Google maps as a zipped file which
I downloaded and opened on my desktop computer to get the two files (.jar .jad) whatever they are? :$
Not to worry -- there are no dumb questions (but often dumb answers) -- asking questions is how we learn.

EDIT: The issue on Google Maps is finding a signed copy. The LG 840G does not like unsigned copies of the app.
Google has apparantly pulled the signed version the phone points to.

marne
Member Avatar

DoctorM
July 16, 2013, 7:57 am
marne
DoctorM

Not to worry -- there are no dumb questions (but often dumb answers) -- asking questions is how we learn.

EDIT: The issue on Google Maps is finding a signed copy. The LG 840G does not like unsigned copies of the app.
I am trying my best to understand HOW and what to do to get the Google signed maps!
I have read and re-read all about it on here but still do not know what exact steps to take to do it.

This has me so confused:

Nokia-MIDlet-No-Exit: true
Nokia-MIDlet-On-Screen-Keypad: no
MIDlet-Touch-Support: true
UseNativeTextButtons: hide
ReverseSoftkeys: hide
UseNativeCommands: hide
Navi-Key-Hidden: true
MIDlet-ScreenMode: ROTATE
MIDlet-Landscape-Support: true
LGE-MIDlet-Width: 320
LGE-MIDlet-Height: 480
LGE-MIDlet-On-Screen-Keypad: no
LGE-MIDlet-Display-Mode: both
LGE-MIDlet-TargetLCD-Height: 320
LGE-MIDlet-TargetLCD-Width: 480
LGE-MIDlet-Indicator: HIDE

What the heck is that all about and just what exactly am I supposed to do with it and when?

I have the JAD & JAR files on my phone in Other Files. Where do I go from there?
DoctorM, you told me how and to then install them etc. but-----Do (can) I install them without being online and
without having Google maps on the phone? Is the object to install them before I have Google maps?
AND then have to go online to click on what url to DL Google maps? :unsure: And what part does jad & jar play?
After they are installed to the phone, what takes place?

I bet I scored on this one for ya! ... And you thought there was no "Dumb" questions? :-/

oceans3101

marne
July 17, 2013, 3:43 pm
DoctorM
marne
DoctorM

I am trying my best to understand HOW and what to do to get the Google signed maps!
I have read and re-read all about it on here but still do not know what exact steps to take to do it.

This has me so confused:

What the heck is that all about and just what exactly am I supposed to do with it and when?

I have the JAD & JAR files on my phone in Other Files. Where do I go from there?
DoctorM, you told me to then install them etc. but-----Do (can) I install them without being online?
AND then have to go online to click on what url to DL Google maps? :unsure: And what part does jad & jar play?

I bet I scored on this one for ya! ... And you thought there was no "Dumb" questions? :-/
This worked for me.... You must use your phone's browser.

Here's the links:
> On your phone's browser, go to http://boostapps.com. Click "Enter jump
> code" link. Enter jump code 6944.

I should add that once you have installed Gmaps you access it at Games and Apps.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

oceans3101
July 17, 2013, 3:48 pm
marne
July 17, 2013, 3:43 pm
DoctorM
marne
DoctorM
Once you place the microSD card in the phone and put the back cover on, just turn the phone back on go to

This has me so confused:

DoctorM, you told me to then install them etc. but-----Do (can) I install them without being online?

Here's the links:

I should add that once you have installed Gmaps you access it at Games and Apps.
Marne,
Let me add some explanations --

Apps you download from the internet directly to the phone install themselves -- they won't be anything in the Other
Files folder -- no .jar or .jad files. To run them (after they install themselves) go to the Games and Apps icon (which
is a different folder than the Other Files folder you access through the File Manager (which you don't need to do in
this case).

Apps you download to your PC first are the ones in the .jar and .jad file format. In order to install them to your phone.
You have to transfer them intact to the Other Files folder, then install them (by going to the File manager, then to
Other Files). The .jad file is just data that the .jar file uses. Most apps don't have a .jad file. You only tap on the .jar
file -- during installation, if there is a .jad file, the installation knows what to do with it.

The advantage to downloading to the PC rather than directly to the phone is that you have it there in your PC (and/or
in Other Files on your phone) to re-install the app anytime if for any reason the installed app becomes corrupted or
damaged... From this discussion, you can deduce that the .jar and .jad files (pre-install state) are different than the
installed app file.

As far as modifying the .jar file -- that is getting into software programmming. The reasons for doing so is to match
the app to the phone, such as screen resolution, accomodate a touch screen, and to get rid of the soft keyboard for
the app (most Java2ME game apps are created for simpler phones with hard keys. If you want to learn how to do
that, then prepare for a lot of frustration. What I do is buy pre-modified apps (especially for the LG 840G) so I don't
have to fool with it. Here is the link I use (see post #1084 and following starting on page 11 of this forum):

LG 840G Apps and Tips! – eBook
By Craig C. White ...... $2.99

Link: http://hightimetoawake.com/lg-840g-apps-and-tips/

You buy the book and on the last page or so is a code and web page to download the modified files.

marne
Member Avatar

Oh Wow!

Will just see what I can do...
I just want to get Google maps on my phone. If it works, it works. If I get the "Unsigned" then I get the unsigned.

Do not want to have to do the "complicated". (I am reading too much on it)

May be better to wait til my yearly service time is up and I have the phone activated but thought I could get some
things done B4.

Thank you.

Thank you for the URL on that book. Looks like it has valuable info in it.

Tech
Member Avatar

Google Maps Signed for Java on boostapps does actually work. As does the new opera mini 4.5...

marne
Member Avatar

Tech
July 18, 2013, 2:18 pm
Google Maps Signed for Java on boostapps does actually work. As does the new opera mini 4.5...
Oh WOW!

Thank you Tech!
I am on my desktop and went to boostapps and found Google Maps 2.3.2 Signed Touchscreen Version.

"You may be the answer to my prayers". Just what I was looking for all along!

I noticed it had the jad & jar file at the bottom ("Download to your PC")? What is that all about?
Do you have to have that in your phone even tho you enter the jump code from that website?

Thank you!

marne
Member Avatar

oceans3101
Here's the links:
O'M'GOSH! oceans 3101 ... I just seen this now when I back tracked the forum!
PLEASE forgive me as THAT is exactly what I have been asking about and for, to get Google Maps.
I am planning on making a trip to a "Hotspot" soon to get online to see what I can do.
THANKs again and I am so sorry I missed this till now.

EDIT: Oceans, how can I ever thank you for giving me exactly what I needed, that I had been asking and posting
about to get the Google maps I so wanted. Bless you for telling exactly where to find it after. (Games and Apps)

Tech, I want to thank you for your post of verification of what oceans wrote that led me to finding and finally getting
what I tried so hard reading/ asking, here how to get!

YIPPEE!
I did exactly what oceans posted and BINGO! .. I now have the signed, working beautifully, Google maps, on my
LG840g tracfone. Everything went so smoothly and fast, first thing I knew, Google Maps appeared on the screen.
Wow! I found my location and "walked" to my friend's house following the trail! I then had my house showing and
had fun swirling around the neighborhood. Good thing my grass was cut, huh? :D

I did that early this morning and before coming here to tell about it, I went back to town using a hotspot to get
online to be sure it worked again.

oceans,
Bless you for your giving me the steps and URL on "how to get Google Maps" I had been posting for, here. :)

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* * * Attention All Members, Guests and Visitors * * *

* This LG 840g phone topic has tipped over the 100,000 views (visits) mark on this Forum on July 18, 2013.

* That's a lot of views for a phone topic anywhere that is less than a year old ... all I have to say is "Awesome"!

* I want to take this time to say thanks to everyone that has contributed to this topic - it is appreciated by many!

* And a Special Thanks goes out to Member DoctorM - for all his time and help dedicated to this phone topic. ;)

* Another special thanks has to go to DoctorM's wife for letting him dedicate his time and help to this topic. (LOL)

B-) Turk - Owner/Creator/Administrator

marne
Member Avatar

Great post! ... I agree and feel so fortunate to have found this forum!

Posted Image

rich_l

I know this has been answered previously but... what do you recommend for a PDF reader/viewer for my LG 840G?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Aw, shucks! :$

oceans3101

marne
July 19, 2013, 7:13 am
oceans3101
Here's the links:
O'M'GOSH! oceans 3101 ... I just seen this now when I back tracked the forum!
PLEASE forgive me as THAT is exactly what I have been asking about and for, to get Google Maps.
I am planning on making a trip to a "Hotspot" soon to get online to see what I can do.
THANKs again and I am so sorry I missed this till now.

EDIT: Oceans, how can I ever thank you for giving me exactly what I needed, that I had been asking and posting
about to get the Google maps I so wanted. Bless you for telling exactly where to find it after. (Games and Apps)

Tech, I want to thank you for your post of verification of what oceans wrote that led me to finding and finally getting
what I tried so hard reading/ asking, here how to get!

YIPPEE!
I did exactly what oceans posted and BINGO! .. I now have the signed, working beautifully, Google maps, on my
LG840g tracfone. Everything went so smoothly and fast, first thing I knew, Google Maps appeared on the screen.
Wow! I found my location and "walked" to my friend's house following the trail! I then had my house showing and
had fun swirling around the neighborhood. Good thing my grass was cut, huh? :D

I did that early this morning and before coming here to tell about it, I went back to town using a hotspot to get
online to be sure it worked again.

oceans,
Bless you for your giving me the steps and URL on "how to get Google Maps" I had been posting for, here. :)
marne I'm glad that it worked for you.. I haven't used it myself, but I am always amazed when I download something
and it actually works. I have been trying to get the bar code reader from that site to work. It appears to do everything
but after taking the pic of the bar code and sending it to the site it never gives me a readout. A few 840 owners have
had success but most do not. They think the problem is that quality of the camera image is the problem.

Snacktime
Member Avatar

Quote:

I have been trying to get the bar code reader from that site to work.
Oceans3101 .... In ref to bar codes:

NeoReader can read QR codes for URLs but the phone doesn't understand contact list imports or other data from QR.
The hardware can't read UPC product codes because the cam lens doesn't have the focal depth for the thin lines.
Through another lens, maybe, like a 10x loupe for stamps. It can read QR reliably at 120x120. 90x90 is pushing it.

http://get.neoreader.com/getreader/install?handset_id=4669&sid=2029468

Shortened for phone: http://is.gd/LG505 (Verify it at longurl.org)

The J2ME version of Microsoft TAG viewer will also try to work but it's very unstable and not worthwhile on the 840G
unless one absolutely has to read an orchid label or wherever TAG is still used... It might be deployed more widely,
but I don't see it much.

Tech
Member Avatar

rich_l
July 20, 2013, 12:41 pm
I know this has been answered previously but... what do you recommend for a PDF reader/viewer for my LG 840G?
Have to have your pdf's uploaded to a specific personal site of your own and then navigate to it using google
through the native browser. Googl search in the native browser can render pdf's.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Tech
July 21, 2013, 2:33 am
rich_l
July 20, 2013, 12:41 pm
Have to have your pdf's uploaded to a specific personal site of your own and then navigate to it using google
through the native browser. Googl search in the native browser can render pdf's.
There are a couple of Java2ME PDF readers listed on UMnet.com, supposedly a free download -- but neither will
run without visiting a site for inputing some activation and registration codes -- and paying an unspecified fee.
If it was a legitimate PayPal transaction, I might be ok with it, but direct to an individual in another country is NOT A
WISE move.

I have not gone to the URL specified (and don't intend to.) But if you try it, let us know how it turns out.

PS: My browser site advisor warns against even going to UMnet.

rich_l

Well thanks for trying - what irks me is that the 800G had a PDF reader but the 840G doesn't - 2 steps forward
and one step back. 8)

DoctorM
Member Avatar

rich_l
July 21, 2013, 11:17 am
Well thanks for trying - what irks me is that the 800G had a PDF reader but the 840G doesn't - 2 steps forward
and one step back 8)
The 800G had Picsel installed, which you didn't see as an app -- just go to the document and tap on it and it came up.
You could only see the Picsel splash screen momentarily.

Unfortunately Picsel doesn't sell a stand-alone Java app, and they charge a fee for their product. LG and TracFone
had cost offsets to keep the LG 840G at a price that made it attractive. So we get WiFi and 3G, but gave up Picsel.

Given the sorry state of Java app development, compared to Apple and Android, I don't think we will see any more
than what is now available.

hcupro

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the tip on signed GMaps.

I've got all of my LG 840g freeware apps (legal) sitting on site for free download if anyone interested.
Link here: http://tinyurl.com/LG840G-LGT375-PhoneApps

A problem I'm having is when resizing apps, removing the java navkeys, that I need the two buttons at the base 5px
of the screen. The two that you see on most apps, the base left/right or yes/no buttons... Has anyone got a clue?

Tip: To Turn off the phone's top status Bar:
"LGE-MIDlet-Indicator: HIDE"

Regards,
Harley ;)

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I moved this question here to this phone topic, where it officially belongs, maybe someone can answer it, thanks.

wine9004
July 26 2013
Can't Send/Receive Pictures on LG 840G?
I can not send nor receive pictures attached to messages on my new LG 840G. I have followed the service guide
and online tutorial and when I tap the send button I receive an error saying the message (with picture) can not be
delivered. I can receive and send messages without pictures... I need some help!

Turk B-)

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Turk
July 28, 2013, 11:40 pm
* I moved this question here to this phone topic, where it officially belongs, maybe someone can answer it, thanks.
wine9004
July 26 2013
Can't Send/Receive Pictures on LG 840G?
I can not send nor receive pictures attached to messages on my new LG 840G. I have followed the service guide
and online tutorial and when I tap the send button I receive an error saying the message (with picture) can not be
delivered. I can receive and send messages without pictures... I need some help!
First thing to do for any problem: Turn off the phone, take off the back, pull out the battery, put it back in, put the
cover back on, turn on the phone, retry your issue. (This cures an awful lot of problems)

If your issue remains --
1. MMS (sending pictures) has size limits. Your phone camera can take pictures bigger (higher resolution) than it
can send by MMS. The nominal size limit is (VGA) 640x480. However, the true limit is file size. You can send higher
resolution pictures that have little detail, if the file size is small enough... So the first thing to check is how big is the
picture file you are trying to send. If it is too big. you'll have to re-size it. You can set the size of the picture the phone's
camera takes through the settings on the left of the picture frame (sizes a are 2M, 1M, VGA, QVGA). You can resize
a picture through the edit feature in camera mode.

2. The carrier, both at origin (you) and at destination (receiver) may have different limits on the file size. You might
try sending a properly sized picture file to another phone in a different location.

ge0rge

I'm getting several telemarketer calls and also text messages every couple of weeks. For the phone calls, I'm
simply no longer answering calls if the caller isn't in my contacts list. But I have no way to stop the pesky text
messages. Does anybody have a suggestion? I wish Tracfone would give us the ability to block texts and/or
calls from specific senders.

george

Tarkio101

Try replying "STOP" to the number that texted you.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

ge0rge
July 29, 2013, 5:27 pm
I'm getting several telemarketer calls and also text messages every couple of weeks. For the phone calls, I'm
simply no longer answering calls if the caller isn't in my contacts list. But I have no way to stop the pesky text
messages. Does anybody have a suggestion? I wish Tracfone would give us the ability to block texts and/or
calls from specific senders.

george
Tarkio101
July 29, 2013, 6:54 pm
Try replying "STOP" to the number that texted you.
The sure way to get an identifier put on messages is to get a federal law passed to require it. Someone should start
collecting signatures on a petition to do that. I'm sure getting enough signatures wouldn't be problem. But even then
there will be ways to spoof the system. Text messages can originate on a PC or a tablet over free Wifi, not just a phone.

Short of that, the first five characters or so in a message are usually visible.. You could train your text buddies to put
something in the first five characters of a text (example "DrM>"), and simply refuse any texts that don't have anything
there.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Just wanted to chime in to say that Tracfone.com is now selling a reconditioned LG 840g (WiFi+TMFL) for only $20.

* Tracfone.com is also selling a brand new LG 840g for $50, and it comes with a $15 gas gift card.

* Tracfone.com Sales Link: http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?action=view&market=GSM4

* Ps: you'll notice they also have a reconditioned Samsung s390g (WiFi+TMFL) + 60 minute airtime card for only $20.

* I guess that's about it ... thanks.. ;)

T u B-) r K

rich_l

Changing the subject, a while back I bought a leather belt holster that fits the LG 840g in a silicone case just the
way we want it to... I need another belt holster - any suggestions?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ rich_1
I got a nice leather belt clip with a magnetic closure. It's made in China, and I have no clue as to where it was purchased.
But I see oodles of them on eBay and Amazon for $2 and up... Just search on "leather cell phone holster"

marne
Member Avatar

I did it!

I just came back from buying my yearly service card and having my changeover from the LG 420g over to the LG 840g.

I got CHEATED out of 700 minutes! The store manager at Radio Shack did the change over and was told by tracfone
I could only have 1,000 minutes of the 1,700 I had on my old phone. Disappointing! I thought I read on here that they
pulled that on other people too?

What can I do about it? I will have to see if I can find where I read something on it.

Now I have to learn the what's and how's on the phone. I just got home and turned it off to come and report here of my update.

One thing I did, was call to it from my home phone to see if it works. The tracfone rang but also vibrated and jumped
all over the table. "LOL" How do I get it to ONLY ring?

I am still wound up from having it activated to where I will have to turn it back on when I get settled down abit... Thanks.

annepani

The Radio Shack manager screwed up... You are entitled to the 700 minutes.

Call Executive Resolutions in Miami during business hours to straighten it out.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Its worth repeating these TracFone numbers. Put them where you can find them easily again (like in your LG 840G contacts)

phoenix1
July 1, 2013, 1:32 pm
Hey marne, I knew there was more info that might help... it's a list of FAQ that covers just about everything.

Also, if for some reason you need to contact customer service here are two numbers that are supposed to
be the easiest to use, there is one listed at their website, but try these two first.

This one is supposed to be the best one: 1-800-626-4883
And if that one doesn't work, try this one: 1-800-876-5753
marne
August 6, 2013, 2:59 pm
I did it!

I just came back from buying my yearly service card and having my changeover from the LG 420g over to
the LG 840g.

I got CHEATED out of 700 minutes! The store manager at Radio Shack did the change over and was told by
tracfone I could only have 1,000 minutes of the 1,700 I had on my old phone. Disappointing! I thought I read
on here that they pulled that on other people too?

What can I do about it? I will have to see if I can find where I read something on it.

Now I have to learn the what's and how's on the phone. I just got home and turned it off to come and report
here of my update.
One thing I did, was call to it from my home phone to see if it works. The tracfone rang but also vibrated and
jumped all over the table. "LOL" How do I get it to ONLY ring?
I am still wound up from having it activated to where I will have to turn it back on when I get settled down abit.
Thanks.

marne
Member Avatar

DoctorM
August 6, 2013, 5:16 pm
Its worth repeating these TracFone numbers. Put them where you can find them easily again (like in your LG 840G contacts)
phoenix1
July 1, 2013, 1:32 pm
Also, if for some reason you need to contact customer service here are two numbers that are supposed to
be the easiest to use, there is one listed at their website, but try these two first.

This one is supposed to be the best one: 1-800-626-4883
And if that one doesn't work, try this one: 1-800-876-5753
annepani

The Radio Shack manager screwed up... You are entitled to the 700 minutes.
Call Executive Resolutions in Miami during business hours to straighten it out.
THANK you both! I shall see what I can do.

EDIT: Does it have to be done (calling) from my LG 840 tracfone? If so, it may use up all those minutes in doing so? :$
Should I go to Radio Shack to tell them about it and maybe they should call and straighten it out?

tfuser19

marne,
Sorry this did not go smoothly for you.

I would skip the Radio Shack manager and call Tracfone myself.
You never have to call from you Tracfone to fix problems like this, but do have them both on and next to you.

Ask for a supervisor if the Tracfone CSR does not agree to give you the missing 700 minutes.
I have never lost a minute in multiple phone transfers having 3000+ units.

marne
Member Avatar

tfuser19
August 7, 2013, 6:40 am
marne... Sorry this did not go smoothly for you.

You never have to call from you Tracfone to fix problems like this, but do have them both on and next to you.

Ask for a supervisor if the Tracfone CSR does not agree to give you the missing 700 minutes.
Hi tfuser,
Thank you for your input here.

I just came back from an eye exam and am waiting for my pupils to downsize from being as big as saucers to be
more comfortable to see before I can do anything about it! Darn. :'(

My old phone is not activated anymore so do I have to have the serial number and sim to give on that one? It doesn't
show minutes I had. I did sign up for an account with Tracfone and the phone shows there as being disconnected.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

marne
August 7, 2013, 1:37 pm
tfuser19

Hi tfuser,

I just came back from an eye exam and am waiting for my pupils to downsize from being as big as saucers to be

My old phone is not activated anymore so do I have to have the serial number and sim to give on that one? It doesn't
show minutes I had. I did sign up for an account with Tracfone and the phone shows there as being disconnected.
It is best to call from another phone, because you may have to enter some codes in Code Entry Mode -- which would
drop your connection.

The numbers are toll-free, so there is no long distance charges on either number. So you could use your employer's
phone, or a friend's land line.
Or if you have skype on your PC. or maybe you might want to augment your communications with a VOIP system like
MagicJack in the future.

Anyway, you need to do it soon.

marne
Member Avatar

DoctorM
August 7, 2013, 1:53 pm
marne
August 7, 2013, 1:37 pm
tfuser19

Hi tfuser,

It is best to call from another phone, because you may have to enter some codes in Code Entry Mode -- which would
drop your connection.

The numbers are toll-free, so there is no long distance charges on either number. So you could use your employer's
phone, or a friend's land line.
Or if you have skype on your PC. or maybe you might want to augment your communications with a VOIP system like
MagicJack in the future.

Anyway, you need to do it soon.
THANK you DoctorM for giving me "the shove" I needed.

I decided to give it a try myself opposed to Radio Shack flub up.

I called the first number and a woman answered, and when I started to explain, all of a sudden some music started
blasting drowning me out so I dialed the 2nd number and a male answered. I explained about only getting 1,000 of
my minutes transferred over to my new phone and he looked it up and knew exactly how many minutes I had on the
old phone and what I didn't get so he gave them to me! .. YAHOO!

Bless you all for being so wonderful! .... I did find where to shut the Vibrate off when the phone rings. (Lots to learn)

acefuture

Bluetooth Problem with new phone?

Hi everyone, I'm new here but have been lurking occasionally for the last couple years.
Found a lot of good information on this forum... Thanks for all that.

I have a technical problem with my brand new LG 840g. There are additional complexities as well.

I purchased this phone from HSN in a great package.
I received the phone and transferred my previous Tracfone number and airtime balance to this new phone.
I did this online, and all went well. The phone showed 790 minutes and and expiration date of 11/20/13.

Now as part of the HSN package they offered an additional 1450 minutes and one year of service added separately.
Since the phone worked well for phone calls and wifi, I went ahead and added this promotional time.
The phone now showed 2,240 minutes and an expiration date of 11/20/14. Great!

Now the problem: This phone will not connect to my car using it's Bluetooth feature. The two see each other
and are able to do the pairing process, including exchanging the user selected passcode number. Then my
car says it's waiting to connect with my LG 840g. But it never does.

I have two previous Tracfones that both worked perfectly using Bluetooth and my car.
Those phones were an LG 800g, and a Samsung S390g.

I'm not expecting fancy Bluetooth full package features (music streaming, album art, whatever). Just want to be
able to see and use the phonebook on the car's screen, and make and receive phone calls handsfree while
driving. This is very important to me. I will not drive and hold a phone or even use a phone with it's speakerphone.
Too dangerous.

Is this phone known for Bluetooth difficulties? Anyone else seen this kind of problem? Or is my phone just defective?

The problem with getting a replacement phone is all the minutes and time I just transferred and added on the
current (flawed) phone. If HSN sends me a new replacement LG840g phone will Tracfone allow me to transfer
over all my minutes and service time? Or will I loose some or all of it? (Fortunately I wrote down the parameter
30 code and parameter 00 codes from my old Samsung Tracfone.

Or should I contact Tracfone directly to deal with this problem and try to get an explanation of the problem and a
replacement through them. (I dread the thought of calling Tracfone customer service for all the familiar reasons.
Would executive resolutions be able to help with my problem? Don't have their phone number).

Sorry to be so long winded, but any and all help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ acefuture
I'm surprised that you paired an LG 800G to a hands free system. I didn't know it had that capability.

Are trying to connect the LG 840G to the vehicle's built-in hands-free system, or a aftermarket hands-free system you added?

I paired my LG 840G to my Nissan pickup's built-in hands-free system. It works fine, even though the LG 840G is
not listed as supported by Nissan.

I'm trying to remember if I had any problems, but I can't think of any... You do have to have the Bluetooth on the LG
840G turned on, and the vehicle ignition key turned to power the accessories. Then the vehicle queries the LG 840G
and connects with a ding-dong. It has a pretty good range also. I can walk a half a block away before it disconnects.

When you pair, there is a password you have to input (0000). If you did that, and paired successfully, then I would try
taking the battery out of the LG 840G and re-install it before anything else. That cures a lot of unexplained problems.

If that doesn't work, then re-read your hands-free system instructions, and the instructions for the LG 840G to see if
you left out something. If you tried everything, then call TracFone, but I wouldn't expect a lot of help, since it could be
in your hand-free system.

acefuture

Thanks for the quick reply DoctorM.

Yes the LG 800 can pair to cars with Bluetooth. I tried it again this afternoon with that phone and the Samsung s390g,
just to be certain there wasn't anything wrong with my car Bluetooth. They both paired quickly and operated correctly.

The Bluetooth in the car is factory installed. It came standard on the car (BMW).

Yes, of course I had Bluetooth turned on in both the car and the LG 840g.

I tried your suggestion of removing the LG battery for a few minutes and then putting it back in the phone and retrying.
No difference. The phone and the car will pair. Then the in car display on the dash says "Wait a few moments for the
phone to connect." But it never does. I've sat in the car for 10 minutes waiting for the connection. Just doesn't happen.
I've tried this pairing routine 7 or 8 different times and it is always the same.

Maybe I'll just go to Best Buy or Walmart and buy a new LG 840G. Take it home (not activate the phone) and see if it
will pair with my car. If it does than I know the problem is my phone. If it does not connect, then I know the problem is
with the design of the phone and I can't use this new LG.

Thanks

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ acefuture
Did you try making a call to the 840G even though the connection didn't seem to finalize -- just to see what would happen?

If the 840G just won't work, you could just dedicate the LG 800G as the car phone, and leave it in the car (with a car charger.) ^o)

Nissan had a web site that listed all the cell phones they certified to work with their vehicles. I'm sure BMW has one also.
But in either case, I doubt they even considered the LG 800G or the 840G... But I got the impression that an awful lot of
smart phones wouldn't work with many hands-free systems in vehicles.

In any case, let us know how this turned out. I agree with you that having a hands-free system in the vehicle is the way to go.

chanoman

Hi Fellow Turk Trekkers,

I have an issue with the LG840G and I'm surprised that more people haven't mentioned it. I've owned the 840 since a day or 2 after it's release, and I currently own 3, all having the same bug. I didn't find any prior posted fixes on this issue when I searched, but sorry if I missed it and it's been covered. Hopefully this can alleviate some frustration for other baffled users.

I always have my ring set to full volume, and the "increasing ring" off. Mysteriously & maddeningly, I would receive calls and the ring would start at barely audible and then increase in volume, often causing me to miss the call entirely. I would check the setting and the switch would be off as expected. I would cycle the switch and test. Sometimes it would ring properly, sometimes not.

There seemed to be no fathomable reason or fix. I master cleared, master reset, reformatted msd card, numerous times with no change. It would still randomly ring with the "increasing volume". I decided to master clear and ring test after every setting change and navigation...

FINALLY EUREKA! the cause is stupidly simple... ANYTIME the "Shortcut" menu is on the main screen, the phone will default to the "increasing volume ring" regardless of the position of the switch in the settings!

If "Widgets" or "Contacts" are on the main screen, the phone rings properly. Even if there are no shortcuts on the "shortcut" menu and its on the main screen, it will ring increasingly. Test it for yourself. Leave the "shortcut" menu up, and turn off the screen or let it turn off, or even call while the screen is on.

I doubt there's a fix, but at least the workaround is simple. Swipe away the "shortcut" menu or hit the end key to go to "widgets". The harder part is remembering to do that when you are used to leaving your shortcuts up like me.

**On a side note: Most of you are aware of the refurb 840 on The Tracfone site for $20 w/free overnight shipping, but there is also a current $5 off code FRIEND1 and Fatwallet is 15% Tracfone cashback on any phone purchase, so I made 2 separate purchases, using the code each time (and fatwallet). One purchase was for the refurb 840, and the other was the $20 refurb S390/60min card combo. Before cashback each buy totaled 15.93. After cashbk, $13.68 Your taxes may vary. The free overnight ship was icing on the cake and the total for the 2 phones & 180 minutes for $27.36 was a great bargain. When I activate the minutes, I'll also use an available code, so I should get 200 min total.

chanoman

acefuture
August 7, 2013, 10:07 pm
Hi ace, The bluetooth can be a little tricky with the 840. After turning it on, you have to go into "My Bluetooth Info"
menu, and choose "visible for 3 minutes" ... It should pair then. If you did that already, I'm out of ideas.

acefuture

Regarding my LG 840g not connecting to my BMW vehicle Bluetooth.

Apparently, I am not alone. I found a thread on the Ford Sync community. Sync is Ford's in-car communications
system (Bluetooth).

Here is the thread I found:
http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=9&nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb&tid=4251

There are many people on that thread complaining how they can pair their LG 840g with their Ford car but the
phone and car never properly connect. The exact same problem I am having.

Many there say they were able to pair their previous LG 800g phone to their Fords with no problem, but the LG
840g just won't work.

I'm still going to purchase another LG 840g to verify that the problem is in the design of the phone and not just
an individual defective phone.

chanoman

acefuture
August 8, 2013, 2:53 am
I'm still going to purchase another LG 840g to verify that the problem is in the design of the phone and not
just an individual defective phone.
If you are going to buy another 840g to test, see my above post for a cheap trial 840g... Cheers.

acefuture

chanoman
August 8, 2013, 2:40 am
acefuture
Hi ace, The bluetooth can be a little tricky with the 840. After turning it on, you have to go into "My Bluetooth Info"
menu, and choose "visible for 3 minutes" ... It should pair then. If you did that already, I'm out of ideas.
Thank you. Yes I did do that. The phone sees the car and the car sees the phone. The car shows up in the phones
"My Devices" and the phone shows up in the cars "Paired Phones" list.

Apparently pairing is just the first step of the connection process. The car and the phone just cannot complete the
connection.

If I try to access the LG 840g from the cars controls (steering wheel buttons), I get a message on the car's in-dash
screen stating "Pleas Connect the Phone".

Very frustrating.

acefuture

chanoman
August 8, 2013, 3:05 am
acefuture
I'm still going to purchase another LG 840g to verify that the problem is in the design of the phone and not
just an individual defective phone.
If you are going to buy another 840g to test, see my above post for a cheap trial 840g.... Cheers.
Thanks, but I was just going to get one at Best Buy or Walmart. Try to successfully pair it with my car and then
return the phone to the store.

If the phone works properly, I'll contact Tracfone for a replacement.

If the store phone also fails, then I'll return my phone to HSN and see if I can get my old minutes put back on my
Samsung 390g or maybe even the LG 800 (since I think that was a better phone), by Tracfone customer service.

tfuser19

acefuture,
Can your 840g connect with your 800g or 390g to transfer some pictures or files via Bluetooth?

marne
Member Avatar

chanoman
August 8, 2013, 2:32 am
Hi Fellow Turk Trekkers,

I always have my ring set to full volume, and the "increasing ring" off. Mysteriously & maddeningly, I would receive calls and the ring would start at barely audible and then increase in volume, often causing me to miss the call entirely. I would check the setting and the switch would be off as expected. I would cycle the switch and test. Sometimes it would ring properly, sometimes not.
FINALLY EUREKA! the cause is stupidly simple... ANYTIME the "Shortcut" menu is on the main screen, the phone will default to the "increasing volume ring" regardless of the position of the switch in the settings!
If "Widgets" or "Contacts" are on the main screen, the phone rings properly. Even if there are no shortcuts on the "shortcut" menu and its on the main screen, it will ring increasingly. Test it for yourself. Leave the "shortcut" menu up, and turn off the screen or let it turn off, or even call while the screen is on.
I doubt there's a fix, but at least the workaround is simple. Swipe away the "shortcut" menu or hit the end key to go to "widgets". The harder part is remembering to do that when you are used to leaving your shortcuts up like me.
Hi chanoman,

I just had my phone activated Tuesday so haven't used it to experience how everything works yet.
I just wanted to take the time to tell you how thoughtful and wonderful of you to post this for us to know in case of.
This type of info is of great help for LG 840g owners to have.

Thanks.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

acefuture
August 8, 2013, 3:19 am
chanoman
August 8, 2013, 3:05 am
acefuture
I'm still going to purchase another LG 840g to verify that the problem is in the design of the phone and
not just an individual defective phone.
If you are going to buy another 840g to test, see my above post for a cheap trial 840g... Cheers.
Thanks, but I was just going to get one at Best Buy or Walmart. Try to successfully pair it with my car and then
return the phone to the store.

If the phone works properly, I'll contact Tracfone for a replacement.

If the store phone also fails, then I'll return my phone to HSN and see if I can get my old minutes put back on my
Samsung 390g or maybe even the LG 800 (since I think that was a better phone), by Tracfone customer service.
Well, add one more advantage to the 800G -- it seemed to have a more accepting operating system than the 840G.

Things the 800G does better than the 840G

o Runs some quirky Java2ME apps the 840G won't
o Plays some songs that the 840G won't
o Has a document reader (the 840G doesn't)
o Handles larger photo or graphics files than the 840G
o Connects to more hands-free systems than the 840G (pending verification)

I'm wondering whether the Bluetooth issue is caused by a difference in the Bluetooth versions (and or implementations)
in the vehicle and the phone. The connect issue could be in the phone or in the vehicle's system. It would be instructive
to hear from those using aftermarket hands-free systems -- what kind of connect problems they may be having for the LG
840G versus the LG 800G, and what Bluetooth versions are involved.

tfuser19

chanoman
August 8, 2013, 2:32 am
Hi Fellow Turk Trekkers,
I always have my ring set to full volume, and the "increasing ring" off. Mysteriously &
chanoman, I am unable to reproduce the "increasing volume ring" problem on my LG840G following the steps given.

oceans3101

acefuture
August 8, 2013, 3:12 am
Ace When I get in my car I always have bluetooth on with the 840G.
There is always a time lag before bluetooth is operational. It is my understanding that during this time lag your phone contacts are loading to the car. I have heard of problems because of the contact list. If possible delete all your contacts, add one back on the contact list and see if that solves your problem.

chanoman
August 8, 2013, 2:40 am
acefuture
Thank you. Yes I did do that. The phone sees the car and the car sees the phone. The car shows up in the phones
"My Devices" and the phone shows up in the cars "Paired Phones" list.

Apparently pairing is just the first step of the connection process. The car and the phone just cannot complete the
connection.

If I try to access the LG 840g from the cars controls (steering wheel buttons), I get a message on the car's in-dash
screen stating "Pleas Connect the Phone".

Very frustrating.

chanoman

tfuser19
August 8, 2013, 3:07 pm
chanoman, I am unable to reproduce the "increasing volume ring" problem on my LG840G following the steps given.
Ok, I would try it more than once if you haven't already. It may ring right once, or a few times, but for me it always defaults.
Try setting it on increasing, call the phone, then set it back to normal, and call again with the shortcuts up.

If you can't reproduce it, here are some theories as to why:

If the phone has never rec'd a call while actually set to increasing ring, this may not happen.

It may be in conjunction with other settings which act as a trigger. I only know what my settings are.

It may have something to do with using a custom ringtone, but mine do it on stock tones as well.

I'd like more feedback, on who is experiencing this. Thanks, Chano

acefuture

Updated information:

oceans 3101: Thanks for your suggestion about deleting the phone's contact list. I did that. Then took out the battery for 5 minutes. Turned the phone on. Turned on Bluetooth in the phone. Went out to the car. Started the car and tried another fresh pairing of the phone and car. I had the same experience as before. The car and phone will pair but then they fail to finish and connect.

The car shows that the phone is paired, but waiting to connect. This never goes away.
The phone shows the car in "My devices" as connected.

When I try to use the phone in the car under these circumstances using the cars voice controls, the car responds back to me: "Please connect the phone".

Lastly, I bought another brand new LG 840g from Best Buy today. I didn't activate the new phone. No need, as Bluetooth works without the phone having service.
I tried to pair this brand new, pristine phone with my car.
I experienced the same result as the original LG 840g. The phone will pair, but fail to connect.

This confirms that my original LG 840g was not a unique defective phone.

My experience with this phone and my BMW combined with the posted identical experiences of many others using the Ford Sync system and the LG 840g, indicates that something is wrong with the LG 840g's implementation of the Bluetooth standards. Very sad.

I've already contacted Tracfone and am awaiting a new SIM card in order to reactivate my old LG 800g and transfer my minutes and service time to it. It doesn't look as slick as the LG 840g. But at least it functions correctly.

As an aside, I'm so very frustrated with Tracfone and the poor implementation of their relatively recent new features.

1) Internet browsing is a joke on any of their phones. The browser they supply as well as others like Opera mini, are so lousy. Extremely slow whether using Tracfone data or WiFi. When a page loads, more often than not, it will not scale correctly to the screen. Trying to move around on a page or enlarge part of a page to see something is unnecessarily cumbersome, and tedious. With the LG 840g why do they have those navigation keys come up on the screen and block a third of the screen view?

Why can't you use the qwerty keyboard to enter browser addresses or google searches?

Why can't you use the qwerty keyboard to enter contact information in your phone book?

When using Wifi, often you lose connection and the phone automatically switches to Tracfone data use without telling you.

2) On HSN and other shopping networks they tout how the LG 840g and even the Samsung S 390g "have GPS!" In truth the phones don't have GPS. With no help from Tracfone, you have to search around on the internet and hope to find a jar app with a poor version of google maps. Then try and make sure it's signed and then download and install it. So misleading, cumbersome, and difficult.

3) They advertise the LG 800g, Samsung S390g, and LG 840g as being "smartphones". They don't meet the criterion of a smartphone. What they are, is very low level feature phones.

Many here are tech savvy, and we have to jump through so many hoops and work arounds to barely get the phones to poorly perform their advertised functions.

This is all so unnecessary. If only Tracfone would give a damn and make an effort to implement these features properly. I believe it only involves making changes in the phone's firmware, and/or software.

If they fixed these lousy features, I'm sure Tracfone's data usage would increase due to it being easy to access the internet and actually use it.

Tracfone is only good for occasional or light users who want to make voice phone calls or send a few simple text messages. That's all. Nothing else.

All their other touted features: "Apps", "Web Browsing", "Camera", "watch YouTube videos", "GPS", etc. is all just garbage.

I don't expect an iPhone with an app store and all that, don't get me wrong (that's why I have an iPod Touch with me). But it seems they could just make what they already offer, so much better and user friendly with just a little more effort on their part. In return they would get a lot more customers and greater usage of their service.

Oh well. Sorry for the long rant. I guess I'm showing my frustration and disappointment.

Thanks guys.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ acefuture
Well it sounds like you need a smart phone. But I will warn you -- a lot of smartphones won't connect with hands-free systems, either. I would agree with you that the 800G is probably you're best solution -- you know it works, and it is reliable. And, it never was touted as a hands-free solution, so that is a bonus.

Despite your problems with it, I don't think the 840G's Bluetooth is the problem, but rather the auto maker's installed implementation. The LG 840G isn't the only Bluetooth phone that won't connect. And every car maker I have checked that has a manufacturer's installed hands-free system has run into smart phones that won't connect with their system.

In fact, I took a look at BMW's compatible phone list. For the model I explored, BMW doesn't list any TracFone phones, or, for that matter, any LG phones as compatible. So you should feel lucky that the LG 800G worked at all.

Tarkio101

acefuture, I think you will have to bite the bullet and get an android phone. ;)
There are a lot out three that are on various prepaid carriers, without having an unlimited plan.
Just buy the minutes you need and use them... These Tracs are quite limited indeed.

acefuture

Hi Doc,

I know I really sounded off in my last post. I realize many smartphones won't connect well with a cars information system. But from my limited understanding, most of those phones problems have to do with not being able to send or receive text messages from the car and seeing them displayed on the car's screen. Or not being able to stream music from the phone to the car and see the accompanying album art on the in-car screen. Or not being able to use many of the phone's apps through the car system.

However, I believe the vast majority of smartphones can connect and allow the basic telephone functions, voice conversations and phonebook, to be used.

The reason for my frustration is that at least two older, supposedly lesser, Tracfone models (one from the same manufacturer as the 840g) which I own, worked perfectly with hands-free systems.

I don't "need" a smartphone. I am a very light user, an average of well under a hundred minutes a month (some months only 10 minutes), maybe 6-10 texts a month. I don't have to check my email from my phone 10 times a day (or at all from my phone), or go on Facebook every hour or even every month.

My frustration, besides the Bluetooth connectivity problem, is that Tracfone advertises and promotes all these additional features (internet, "GPS", an "app store, etc. Apparently what Tracfone considers "apps" consists solely of Ringtones and Wallpapers you can buy from them.). So with those added features they entice new customers to buy, and existing customers to upgrade their phones. And then they implement the features so poorly that they are not really usable.

As far as BMW's "approved phones", I'd be shocked if they even knew of Tracfone's existence. I'm sure BMW assumes the overwhelming majority of their customers own iPhones or Galaxy S4's with unlimited talk, text, and data plans.

Anyway, please don't take any of my comments and think my frustration is geared toward anyone in this group. On the contrary, you guys have been very helpful with all your suggestions and advice. This place is a valuable resource for all things Tracfone.

In the meantime I'll just muddle along with what I used to have. It meets my basic needs for a very inexpensive price (my cost on average is about $5.75 a month, including the cost of the phone, amortized over a 12 month period).

It's just that Tracfone could do so much better at no real cost to them. . . . oh well.

Thanks again for everything guys.

Tarkio101

Yeah, you don't need a smart phone ... However, from what I have heard, phones and cars not connecting well is
a pretty common issue. I'm not sure why the 800 does and the 840 doesn't, but I was say it's a coincidence, rather
than anything Tracfone is responsible for. And while I do get your frustration with the way this phone is presented
sometimes, but I do think they are mostly accurate. The GPS claim is a little iffy, but I have heard it from HSN more
than Tracfone.

Tech
Member Avatar

acefuture
August 8, 2013, 8:16 pm
Many here are tech savvy, and we have to jump through so many hoops and work arounds to barely get the phones to poorly perform their advertised functions.

This is all so unnecessary. If only Tracfone would give a damn and make an effort to implement these features properly. I believe it only involves making changes in the phone's firmware, and/or software.

If they fixed these lousy features, I'm sure Tracfone's data usage would increase due to it being easy to access the internet and actually use it.

Tracfone is only good for occasional or light users who want to make voice phone calls or send a few simple text messages. That's all. Nothing else.

All their other touted features: "Apps", "Web Browsing", "Camera", "watch YouTube videos", "GPS", etc. is all just garbage.

I don't expect an iPhone with an app store and all that, don't get me wrong (that's why I have an iPod Touch with me). But it seems they could just make what they already offer, so much better and user friendly with just a little more effort on their part. In return they would get a lot more customers and greater usage of their service.

Oh well. Sorry for the long rant. I guess I'm showing my frustration and disappointment.... Thanks guys.
Absolutely agreed. The problem in scope is that people just won't demand it. This carrier claims to be the largest on the planet so then I'm assuming a huge majority cannot even do something as basic as read a pdf file from their email and some of the other most basic of functions.

Junk...

No wonder we consistently show up on the bottom of the list when it comes to education and scientific literacy. The market apparently demands it. And, as always...consumers will love them for it as long as they can facebook and play childs games that they have to go through hoops to make work...from questionable and unregulated sources, have fun with colorful skins and screen covers and whatnot. Is a hoot. Sad, but a hoot nonetheless. I have about as much respect for this company as I do for the Monsanto's, BP's and of the world and couldn't be more pleased if they up and went out of business tomorrow for the skullduggery they pawn of on people.

Anyhoo...your blootooth is visible, I assume?

techimpaired

I just bought an LG 840G, and when I receive calls it rings one time then goes to voice mail... Is there any way to
change the number of rings before it goes to voice mail? I have looked at tutorials and even called Tracfone with
no luck... Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I hope I have posted this in the right place and way, if not please excuse my inexperience.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ techimpaired
You are in the right place.

The following instructions come from eHow. here is the link: How to set the number of rings on a TracFone

1 Press *#61# on the phone's keypad and press "Send."

2 Write down the phone number that is displayed, because it may be different than your cellphone number.
This screen should also display the number of seconds your phone is set to ring before going to voicemail.
Press "Cancel" to return to the main screen.

3 Press **61* followed by +1 and the 10-digit number from the previous step. Do not press "Send" yet.

4 Press *11* followed by the number of seconds you want the phone to ring, such as 20 for a 20-second ring time.

5 Press # to finish the sequence and press "Send." Your settings should now be changed.
You can dial *#61# and press "Send" to check the settings.

Tips & Warnings:
In order to get the + symbol, you may need to hold the 0 or 1 key on your phone for a few seconds.

If you want your phone to ring a specific number of times, time the length of each ring and adjust the time in seconds accordingly.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_8646126_do-change-number-rings-tracfone.html#ixzz2bU9gv5l6

I don't know if the above works. I haven't tried it. (I don't use voice mail)

Not an answer, I personally vetted, but hang on, someone who has actually tried it may chime in soon.

oceans3101

DoctorM
August 8, 2013, 9:43 pm
@ acefuture
Well it sounds like you need a smart phone... But I will warn you -- a lot of smartphones won't connect with
hands-free systems, either. I would agree with you that the 800G is probably you're best solution -- you know
it works, and it is reliable. And, it never was touted as a hands-free solution, so that is a bonus.

Despite your problems with it, I don't think the 840G's Bluetooth is the problem, but rather the auto maker's
installed implementation. The LG 840G isn't the only Bluetooth phone that won't connect. And every car maker
I have checked that has a manufacturer's installed hands-free system has run into smart phones that won't
connect with their system.

In fact, I took a look at BMW's compatible phone list. For the model I explored, BMW doesn't list any TracFone
phones, or, for that matter, any LG phones as compatible. So you should feel lucky that the LG 800G worked
at all.
Ace, I remember a post on another forum where a husband and wife each had a Tracfone, both of which had been
paired to their car and worked individually, but when they both were in the car only one phone would connect. You
don't by any chance have 2 T phones in your BMW.

Have you deleted the phones from your BMW that previously worked.

acefuture

oceans3101:

Another good idea. However, I had deleted my old Tracfone pairing (the only phone the car was paired with) before
attempting to pair the LG 840g. So the BMW list of paired phones was completely empty.. Also, no one was with me
who even was carrying a cellphone, let alone a phone paired to my car.

Thanks for the suggestion.

ge0rge

I've been successfully using my LG840G to read emails on three different email accounts using the built-in email
app. Two of those accounts are Gmail, the other is Hotmail. That's worked fine for as long as I've had the phone.

But today, the Gmail accounts won't connect. I get a message saying logon failure. I've not changed any settings
nor passwords. If I go into the browser and access Gmail that way, all is A-OK. So it seems that something in the
server side of the email app might be having a little difficulty.

This is happening both with wifi and with 3G connectivity ... Is anybody else seeing this?

geo

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Ge0rge wrote:

I've been successfully using my LG 840G to read emails on three different email accounts using the built-in email app... Two of those
accounts are Gmail, the other is Hotmail. That's worked fine for as long as I've had the phone. But today, the Gmail accounts won't connect.
I get a message saying logon failure. I've not changed any settings nor passwords. If I go into the browser and access Gmail that way, all is A-OK.
So it seems that something in the server side of the email app might be having a little difficulty. This is happening both with wifi and with 3G
connectivity. Is anybody else seeing this?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ge0rge --

I don't use the built-in email app too often, but after reading your post, I tested mine. I have my Email app attached
to a Gmail account, and I've never had any previous trouble with the app connecting... Well, I, too, just received a
"Login Failure" message.

However, I have an Android device connected to the same Gmail account, and it worked A-Okay, as did logging into
my Gmail account with my laptop.

So, let's hope this is a problem on Gmail's side, and that Google will get it sorted out soon.

ShadowDancer :ermm:

watsonk

DoctorM
August 9, 2013, 11:21 am
@ techimpaired
You are in the right place.

The following instructions come from eHow. here is the link: How to set the number of rings on a TracFone

1 Press *#61# on the phone's keypad and press "Send."

2 Write down the phone number that is displayed, because it may be different than your cellphone number.
This screen should also display the number of seconds your phone is set to ring before going to voicemail.
Press "Cancel" to return to the main screen.

3 Press **61* followed by +1 and the 10-digit number from the previous step. Do not press "Send" yet.

4 Press *11* followed by the number of seconds you want the phone to ring, such as 20 for a 20-second ring time.

5 Press # to finish the sequence and press "Send." Your settings should now be changed.
You can dial *#61# and press "Send" to check the settings.

Tips & Warnings:
In order to get the + symbol, you may need to hold the 0 or 1 key on your phone for a few seconds.

If you want your phone to ring a specific number of times, time the length of each ring and adjust the time in seconds accordingly.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_8646126_do-change-number-rings-tracfone.html#ixzz2bU9gv5l6

I don't know if the above works. I haven't tried it. (I don't use voice mail)

Not an answer, I personally vetted, but hang on, someone who has actually tried it may chime in soon.
DoctorM,

In LG 840g, sending *#61# will return "Activated" with no number.
However, I discovered another way to get your Voicemail Deposit Number.

Simply do the following in the phone:

1) Go to Widget menu.
2) At the bottom, click on Message (white envelope) icon. "Inbox" will show up.
3) On upper right hand corner, click on Message Settings. Expand it.
4) Scroll down to "Voicemail Number". Click on it.
5) It shows "+1xxxxxxxxxx" where x represents a 10-digit phone number. This is your Voicemail Deposit Number.
6) Write down the number.
7) Go to Call.
8) Type **61*+1xxxxxxxxxx**30# and click "Call". The 30 represents 30 seconds before going to voicemail.
9) It returns "Acticated" ... for me anyways.

I did not try anything greater than 30 seconds. I recall Tracfone saying that my local switch can support up to
30 seconds. May be it can be greater than 30 seconds elsewhere in the country.

ge0rge

ShadowDancer
August 9, 2013, 7:03 pm
I don't use the built-in email app too often, but after reading your post, I tested mine. I have my Email app attached
to a Gmail account, and I've never had any previous trouble with the app connecting... Well, I, too, just received a
"Login Failure" message.

However, I have an Android device connected to the same Gmail account, and it worked A-Okay, as did logging
into my Gmail account with my laptop.

So, let's hope this is a problem on Gmail's side, and that Google will get it sorted out soon.

ShadowDancer :ermm:
I'll be taking two international trips soon, and I'm hoping to use the LG 840G for all my email communications.
If this problem still exists the day before I leave. I'll have all my Gmail messages forwarded to my Hotmail account.
Hopefully, Hotmail keeps working.

geo

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Ge0rge --

The only new things that I can add to this Email app situation today is:

1. Like you, I can access my Gmail account through the email link on Tracfone's mobile homepage on the Internet;

2. I can still send emails out through my Gmail account using the Email app;

3. I tried to access a second Gmail account, which I use, and that Login through the Email app failed, too;

4. And, I tried to access my Gmail account on my Samsung r455c Tracfone, and it worked flawlessly.

Go figure!

ShadowDancer :huh:

marne
Member Avatar

Just want to be sure.

Technology is moving too fast for me to figure out stuff and I am afraid to screw something up.

I want to add photos to my contacts (for each to identify by) and was wondering if this is how?

If I remove the MicroSD card from the phone and put pictures from my computer in the pictures file on the
card, then slip the card back into the phone, can I access them to use and didn't horse the phone up from
what I just did?

Thanks.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

marne
August 10, 2013, 2:37 pm
Just want to be sure.

Technology is moving too fast for me to figure out stuff and I am afraid to screw something up.

I want to add photos to my contacts (for each to identify by) and was wondering if this is how?

If I remove the MicroSD card from the phone and put pictures from my computer in the pictures file on the
card, then slip the card back into the phone, can I access them to use and didn't horse the phone up from
what I just did?

Thanks.
Yes. The LG 840G has limitations on the size of picture it will recognize (The LG 800G would handle any size picture).
As long as your pictures (or graphics) are less than 1200x1600 pixels, you should be OK. The worst that would happen
is a message that the picture (or graphic) is too large... The best format to use is jpeg (.jpg).

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.