Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 6 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) LG 840g Phone Topic
Topic Started: September 24, 2012, 12:41 am (159,800 Views)
DoctorM
Member Avatar

* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts, or questions on this phone, please post it all here ... thanks.

* Tracfone LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?
* Net10 LG 840g Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@ Jittoku
I think you are in uncharted territory on a virtual machine. It would appear your virtual machine does not have
external periphery connection support, or something is not compatible using the phone as a usb drive. I have
both types of adapters (USB - SD, microSD - SD).. The USB-SD adapter in combo with a microSD-SD always
seems to work.. You can buy them for a buck or two on ebay or Amazon, and many microSD offerings include
them for free.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ge0rge

Here's an update to my post #1094 which was an update to #1068 regarding difficulty connecting to Starbucks wifi:

I tried it again this morning couldn't get it to work. I tried zooming in and also reading the TERMS and CONDITIONS
as I stated in 1094. But nothing worked today. Again, this concerns the page that the browser brings up once I'm on
their internal network but before I can get access to the web.

I can click on most of the hyperlinks in that message (such as HELP and TERMS OF SERVICE, and they work
(provided they don't require access beyond the internal wifi network) ... But the check box simply seems to not
work on this touch screen, at least not reliably. I haven't tried this at other coffee shops yet. But perhaps I will.

Meanwhile, I'm going to install the UC Browser and see if that fixes it. If anybody else experiences this and has a
solution, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Urge

I use the UC browser and I have never had issues connecting to free wifi unless the signal was too weak.

Urge

Jittoku

DoctorM
March 29, 2013, 2:17 pm
@ Jittoku
I think you are in uncharted territory on a virtual machine. It would appear your virtual machine does not have
external periphery connection support, or something is not compatible using the phone as a usb drive. I have
both types of adapters (USB - SD, microSD - SD).. The USB-SD adapter in combo with a microSD-SD always
seems to work.. You can buy them for a buck or two on ebay or Amazon, and many microSD offerings include
them for free.
Just a quick followup - haven't tried plugging in to any more PCs, but at home I just plugged into my Linux machine,
running Ubuntu 10.04/Gnome. It mounted the phone instantly, before I had time to sit down.

I can upload and download photos, and although I haven't tried music... Ubuntu played the voice recordings on the
phone, on mouseover, just like it does with other sound files. So it must be what you said about the virtual machine.
I'm relieved it's not the phone.

Thanks again!

ge0rge

I installed the UC Browser last night and learned that for this JAD file, the file name is critical. I had modified the
content to eliminate the keypad, and I kept it as a different file name so I'd be able to identify it as modified. When
I tried to install, I got an INVALID DESCRIPTOR error. I tried the original, unmodified JAD, and it worked OK.

After fiddlin' around for a bit, I went back to the modified file and simply changed its name back to the original.
It worked fine. So the message is, for the UC Browser JAD file, don't change the file name. It seems to be hard-
coded into the JAR. I don't know whether the file name is critical for other Java apps or not.

geo

ge0rge

I've played with the UC Browser a little bit, and here are a couple of things I don't like:

1. It seems that you can't force a secure connection. With the built-in browser, if https is specified in the URL,
the connection becomes secure. This can be verified by the little padlock on the globe in the upper left. But
with the UC Browser, I have been unable to use https and see the padlock.. To me, this says I won't use this
browser for anything that requires personal information or a password.

2. The built-in browser will play YouTube videos, albeit in a postage stamp-sized frame.
The UC Browser will not play YouTube videos at all. It gives the message, NOT SUPPORTED.

If I'm doing something wrong, please tell me.

geo

rich_l

ge0rge, would you be good enough to detail how your eliminated the silly keypad?

I have a couple of apps that could use that mod.

Speaking of apps, any recommendations for a QR reader for the 840?

TIA

ge0rge

rich_l
March 30, 2013, 2:33 pm
ge0rge, would you be good enough to detail how your eliminated the silly keypad?

I have a couple of apps that could use that mod.

Speaking of apps, any recommendations for a QR reader for the 840? ........ TIA
For the keypad, I followed the directions in post #746. Be sure to use Notepad or something similar, not MSWord.
MSWord seems to put some formatting in place which messes up the JAD file... At least that was my experience.

I haven't tried a JAVA QR reader yet. But in the past, I've used online conversion services (free).
From a PC, upload a photo of the QR square and send it as a *.jpg to: http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx

It works for simple QR codes and usually for codes that include a URL. But not all URLs will take you directly to the
web site with a single click. However, you can copy/paste the URL into a browser if necessary.

I just tried this on the LG 840G, and it works:

*** Take a close-up photo of the QR square so that it fills most of the screen.
*** Go to http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx and browse/submit the photo.

I got really, really close to the QR code so that it filled nearly all the screen, but not so close that it got out of focus.
Moving the camera back farther and then zooming in would probably be better, because the QR box would be in
better focus when it fills the screen.

BTW, there are several good, free online QR code generators.

Here's the one I use mostly: http://qrcode.kaywa.com/

Regards,

geo

phoenix1
Member Avatar

If anyone is still looking for a gel case for the LG 840g, Amazon has got a great selection of colors and prices.
I just got mine in the mail, it fits perfect and all the holes are in just the right spot... The on and off and volume
switches are both covered, but the case is soft and doesn't interfere with them... My only complaint is with the
seller, I placed the order on the 25th, it was $2.05 + shipping and every day since they have constantly lowered
to the price.

Right now they're selling it for .94...bet if I check back in an hour it'll be lowered again. ^o)
All the reviews give the cases 5 stars, and I have to agree with them, it's great.

ge0rge

phoenix1
March 30, 2013, 5:05 pm
If anyone is still looking for a gel case for the LG 840g, Amazon has got a great selection of colors and prices.
I just got mine in the mail, it fits perfect and all the holes are in just the right spot... The on and off and volume
switches are both covered, but the case is soft and doesn't interfere with them... My only complaint is with the
seller, I placed the order on the 25th, it was $2.05 + shipping and every day since they have constantly lowered
to the price.

Right now they're selling it for .94...bet if I check back in an hour it'll be lowered again. ^o)
All the reviews givethe cases 5 stars, and I have to agree with them, it's great.
Could you give us the specific URL or vendor name? ..... Thanks.

geo

phoenix1
Member Avatar

You can check out the place I used here, there are others too. Someone is selling the black one for .18,
I always check the vendors ratings and try not to order from someone with less than a 93 rating.
I like the cool blue one some are selling, but I'm waiting to see if it's price comes down a bit - LOL.

Sprocketman

Doc, is there a document reader in the apps that came with the ebook? ... Or a pdf reader?

phoenix1
Member Avatar

phoenix1
March 30, 2013, 5:38 pm
You can check out the place I used here, there are others too. Someone is selling the black one for .18,
I always check the vendors ratings and try not to order from someone with less than a 93 rating.
I like the cool blue one some are selling, but I'm waiting to see if it's price comes down a bit - LOL.
I used the A+Satisfaction site... they seem to change companies every time I've checked out the link. Posted Image

ge0rge

Update to my post #1102 about the browser not working in Starbucks:

I installed the UC browser and tried it this morning at Starbucks. No go. When I tried to navigate to any web site
(I tried several, including typing in ones that weren't built into the browser), it hung mid-way through the page
download. To me, this means that it doesn't recognize redirection to the Starbucks TERMS AND CONDITIONS
page, so it just sits there waiting for internet access. Bottom line: Neither the built-in browser nor the UC browser
will work on the wifi at Starbucks.

Note that this problem and the one with hotels requiring a password are not the same scenario as if there is a wifi
key required. That should work fine. In other words, if the wifi access appears to be unsecured but a password or
terms agreement is subsequently necessary, I haven't found a way to make the LG 840G work.

If I get time, I'll install Opera and try that. But I have my doubts. Also, I'll eventually try this at other coffee shops and
also at motels where a password in required to get beyond their internal network. But my preliminary opinion is that
for any wifi that permits access to the local net and then requires a password or agreement to terms of service for
access to the web, this phone isn't going to work. Of course, it's always an option to burn minutes with 3G.

======== UPDATE ==========

I installed Opera Mini and tried it at Starbucks. Just like the UC Browser, it hangs waiting for the destination page to load.

geo

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ ge0rge

I don't frequent Starbucks, so I can't comment on its WiFi access. But I do do use other WiFi hotspots. some of
which I access easily, such as my daughter's school network, and some which for some reason I can no longer
access, such as at a local shopping mall.

The one at the local mall said it required I join them on the internet (via PC) first for an access password, which
I did, but I never got it to work. All I got out of that effort was email ads to buy at the shopping mall.

The bottom line is that some WiFi hotspots just aren't customer friendly, maybe because some customers are
hanging around for hours using up bandwidth on a $1 cup of coffee. :huh:

ge0rge

Sprocketman
March 30, 2013, 11:10 pm
Doc, is there a document reader in the apps that came with the ebook? ... Or a pdf reader?
Here's a kludge that will let you read a PDF document. This will convert the PDF to a JPG.

1. Download the PDF and save it onto your memory card. (When I did this, I had to move the PDF file around a
couple of times to get it into a location where I could access it later.)

2. Open this web site: http://pdfimg.net/

3. Upload the PDF file.

4. click on CONVERT PDF TO IMAGE.

5. After the file has been converted, save it to your memory card.

6. Open FILE MANAGER and navigate to the file.

7. Open the file to read it.

I've done this a couple of times. It's clumsy but it will work. Here are a few other web sites that also do PDF conversion.
I haven't tried them. If somebody does try them and finds a good one, please post your results for the rest of us.

http://pdf2jpg.net/ (This one is large and might not load correctly in the native browser.)

http://pdfimg.net/

http://pdf.my-addr.com/free-online-pdf-to-jpg-convert.php

http://www.convert-jpg-to-pdf.net/

http://www.zamzar.com

I found these by doing a Google on CONVERT PDF TO JPEG

geo

ge0rge

I did a search for LG 840G BROWSER and found a Firefox browser that supposedly works. I installed it, and the
Firefox logo came up when I ran it. It looked valid. But when I tried to navigate to any web site, I was always re-
directed to something I didn't expect. I suggest staying away from this "browser". The web site where I found it is:

http://lg-840g.java-mobiles.net/tag/internet-communications/firefox-browser-get-217274.html

geo

ge0rge

I've installed and tried the UC Browser and Opera Mini. Here are my personal pro/con impressions...

BUILT-IN BROWSER:
- Won’t play the radar loop on Accuweather
- Won’t allow check box to agree to terms on Starbucks’ wifi. (But at least it does show the page, if that’s worth anything.)
- Often, items on a web page that should have action when tapped don’t take any action. (See UC Browser, below.)
+ Loads much more quickly than the other two browsers
- Several times when I tried to open a new window, the browser shut itself down.
- Fox News and CNN videos didn’t seem to come up at all
+ Easy to invoke landscape view
+ Very easy to switch to full screen view, and it hides everything not related to the web page.
+ When entering a web address, the auto-complete for “.com” and auto prefix for “www.” are very handy. The other browsers don’t have this.

UC BROWSER:
+ Does play radar loop on Accuweather
+ Has a BACK button that doesn’t require reloading previous pages (nice… faster to navigate backwards than with the built-in browser)
- Won’t allow check box to agree to terms on Starbucks’ wifi (hangs, waiting).
+ Often, items on a web page that should have action when tapped don’t take the appropriate action. But this browser does seem to recognize that the item has been tapped. It gives some options such as saving the image. Neither of the other two browser do even this. As an example, go to Google and search on “map 3750 national road 47374”. A map is shown. Tap on it, and various options are shown. But in the native browser and also in Opera Mini, nothing at all happens upon a tap to the map.
+ Any time text has to be entered, the keyboard includes back-character and forward-character keys that don’t erase. These are in addition to the back-erase key that all three browsers have. This is very handy for editing when you've discovered a typing error in the middle of a long text string. Neither the native browser nor Opera have this; they both only erase on a backspace.
- Fox News and CNN videos: Won’t come up
- I couldn’t figure out how to invoke landscape mode.
- Has full-screen view, but clock, battery charge indicator, etc. are still visible. And it takes a few taps to switch views.

OPERA MINI:
- Won’t play the radar loop on Accuweather, at least not very smoothly. And the resolution of the picture seems worse than the other two browsers.
- Not as convenient to get to bookmarks nor to the home page as other two browsers (in my opinion)
+ Has a BACK button that doesn’t require reloading previous pages (faster than built-in browser)
- Shows CNN video first frame but won’t play. Message: “Sorry, this video cannot be played on your handset”
+ Landscape mode is easy to invoke
- While testing to see whether I could open a video on the Fox News site, the browser shut itself down
- Has full-screen view, but doesn’t hide the clock, battery charge indicator, etc. And it takes a few taps to switch views.

So my decision is that I'll use the UC browser mostly, and the built-in browser occasionally, depending on what I
discover about which of my favorite websites works best on which browser. I'll remove Opera and not use it at all.

geo

annepani

Very complete, ge0rge... Thank you for posting the writeup.

Tarkio101

Geo, I don't believe this phone is capable of streaming video from any site.. And I believe that it's not a matter of
where the video is from or how big or based on the connection, but the phone just can't do it. However, I am a news
junkie and I have found that the video from the New York Times video content part of their site will play perfectly.

It doesn't stream, but downloads the video and then plays once download is complete. It sounds tedious, but I don't
mind because most of the videos are at least 7-10 minutes, but some features are 15 minutes or longer and are
features, rather than snippets. Just an fyi. Not sure, but I would imagine some other sites that are properly designed
for mobile have this feature as well.

Curmudgeon

Having attempted to take a couple of close-up photos, I am not too happy with the sharpness after viewing them.
Now, I can't figure out how to delete the useless photos from my microSDHC card... I even attempted to delete
them by hooking up the data cable to my desktop. Can photos be deleted, and if so, how?

Thanks

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Curmudgeon
April 3, 2013, 5:12 pm
Having attempted to take a couple of close-up photos, I am not too happy with the sharpness after viewing them.
Now, I can't figure out how to delete the useless photos from my microSDHC card... I even attempted to delete
them by hooking up the data cable to my desktop. Can photos be deleted, and if so, how?

Thanks
Tap [::] >> PICTURES (on page 2) >> (go to the photo you want to delete) >> Tap the picture to bring up side bar >>
Tap the garbage can icon >> Tap YES.

You can also do this in the Camera.

If it doesn't work for you -- SOP: Take out the battery and reinsert to reset the phone OS.

Curmudgeon

Thanks, DoctorM... At first, when I tapped on the thumbnail, I just received an "Invalid file format" message.
But then I persevered and tapped the box on the upper right hand corner which gave me a "Delete" option.

Then, when I chose Delete, it asked me to first select a photo.. After I did this, a red checkmark was placed on
the corner of the thumbnail and I proceeded to delete the two items. It seems that there could be a more direct
approach, but it got done!

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ Curmudgeon
Oh, yeah -- you can delete in the picture icon mode also --
[::] > PICTURES > (tap the options menu in the upper right corner) > tap DELETE > (put red check mark in the
check box of all the pictures you want to delete) > tap DELETE (bottom of screen) > Tap YES

Tech
Member Avatar

FYI, you can also hold down the icon of the picture for a second or so, and a send option pops up.

Curmudgeon

I must be getting denser again...
Attempting to send a photo attachment seems to have me stumped, yet I succeeded once in sending a test one
to myself. ????? From the online tutorials, I followed the steps for send pictures (under the messaging section.)
It deducts the units, but nothing arrives. While I am consulting our resident gurus, is it possible to have a default
"From:" signature?

Thanks

annepani

Curmudgeon
April 6, 2013, 12:45 pm
From the online tutorials, I followed the steps for send pictures (under the messaging section.)
It deducts the units, but nothing arrives... Thanks
How many units does it deduct? .. What is the size of the picture? .. You can usually find the size in 'properties'.

Curmudgeon

The size of the picture is 19.8 KB. As I recall, there were two separate unit deductions, one for the message for
.3 unit or so, and another for the attachment for an additional 1 unit. These units may not be exact as I am only
using my recall.. My concern is not for the units used but to learn the correct method of sending photos directly
from the Tracfone.

ge0rge

Curmudgeon
April 6, 2013, 12:45 pm
I must be getting denser again...
Attempting to send a photo attachment seems to have me stumped, yet I succeeded once in sending a test one
to myself. ????? From the online tutorials, I followed the steps for send pictures (under the messaging section.)
It deducts the units, but nothing arrives. While I am consulting our resident gurus, is it possible to have a default
"From:" signature?

Thanks
Your problem might be different than the one I had. But it happened initially to me. I discovered that my internet
provider thought the email was spam because the FROM address included my mobile phone number.. I added
that address to the safe senders list, and it worked thereafter.

geo

annepani

ge0rge
April 6, 2013, 6:37 pm
Your problem might be different than the one I had. But it happened initially to me. I discovered that my internet
provider thought the email was spam because the FROM address included my mobile phone number.. I added
I don't believe her internet provider is involved.
I think curmudgeon is attempting to send a picture message directly from phone to phone.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

annepani
April 6, 2013, 10:48 pm
ge0rge
April 6, 2013, 6:37 pm
I don't believe her internet provider is involved.
I think curmudgeon is attempting to send a picture message directly from phone to phone.
Not that it is necessarily pertinent to Curmudgeon's issue.. but MMS is generally routed over the internet
to a server, then the receiving phone queried as to whether it can receive the file before it is sent onward.
The receiving phone's settings can interfere with receiving.

Curmudgeon

I was attempting to send the MMS attachment (a photo) from the Tracfone to a desktop.. When I did not succeed
in sending it to another person's desktop, I made several attempts to send it to my own desktop as a test. One of
the trials succeeded, and I am ashamed to say that I failed to document just what I did that time. ;-(

JerseyGrl

Oh good, there's a thread on this, I just bought this phone for my husband, I probrably should've read this thread 1st.

The phone looks awesome, off to read the thread now to see what you guys think of it.

blueduns

> The phone looks awesome.

My analogy is to an underpaid awesome looking secretary that types slower than the average 33 wpm.

You get what you pay for... On the upside, the 840g will probably not cause a divorce.

My beef is they hype it as APP capable which is technically true but not in the true spirit of the meaning.

BD

NGNM85

I've been having a big problem with my music player on my LG 840g. First; it always opens to song titles, as
opposed to artists, more importantly it takes a very long time to load before I can search and select artists, I'd
estimate it takes around 3 minutes, then, especially if I have several albums for that artist, it will take another
minute or two to load the albums so I can select which one I want to listen to.

I called tech support and they were absolutely useless. I had read that other people had this problem but I
can't remember where. I can't believe I'm the only one... Does anybody know how to fix this???

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ NGNM85
Just how many songs do you have on the LG 840G?

NGNM85

DoctorM
April 9, 2013, 2:58 pm
@ NGNM85
I'm pretty sure it's a little over 2K. That brings me to a bigger problem which has just developed. I just added
a bunch of music, and it isn't showing up in the music player. (Although; it does show up in the file cabinet).

Is there another music player I could download, perhaps?
I'm getting the feeling I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a real smartphone. :-/

Tech
Member Avatar

NGNM85
April 9, 2013, 10:52 pm
DoctorM
April 9, 2013, 2:58 pm
@ NGNM85
I'm pretty sure it's a little over 2K. That brings me to a bigger problem which has just developed. I just added
a bunch of music, and it isn't showing up in the music player. (Although; it does show up in the file cabinet).

Is there another music player I could download, perhaps?
I'm getting the feeling I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a real smartphone. :-/
There is no fix for the issue that you are having. By default the song titles are loaded. Of course, you can tap the all songs button and switch to artist or album, playlist or whatever. If you haven't added more music to the card or plugged it in to charge then it should load fairly quickly once you go through the round of slow loading. But then we ultimately have to charge the thing so then the process repeats itself and everything takes several minutes to load. This problem will exist as long as you own this product and they will never do anything to fix it. It's confusing to the reps because they are in the business of making money off airtime. Useful functions that come with these devices like the music player are generally crippled to some extent because the actual features as they relate to what the end user would find useful isn't as important to the minute market they are in business for.

You'll notice that after each charge or subsequent transfer of music that everything takes forever to load. Music artists, songs lists, album lists, your file manager takes forever as dows the video app. I gave up o the pictures app that comes with it because it takes around 10 minutes to load. Literally. This annoys me to no end too.

There will be no fix as basically it a remnant of the proprietary mess they enforce with the usb port. To them this is not an issue.

Look elsewhere if you want to be able to do these things without constant barriers because the end user isn't held in regard as much as the revenue thay make off the minutes and internet marketing derived from the tracking of your data that you input on the browser. That's what the technology is built around. Is not built around useful features that actually work when asked to work for how you, the end user would find them practical.

And the reason the music isn't showing up in your player is because you either have to pop the batterty out after each music/picture/video transfer so that it resets or delete the lgsys folder after each transfer. Both work. But you have to do this every single time. I know because I've tested it extensively. Basically, these functions are all crippled to some extent because they aren't in business to give a heck about whether or not the features are conforming to the end users needs and wants. They care that their unit model works and to heck with everything else.

That may sting a bit for many here who are loyal to the brand but it's the truth. The thing that bugs me about it is that if nothing gets said about it then it becomes the standard model. This is the very first tracfone that actually has a good bit of capability but they have rendered much of it useless. Most of the discussion you have on it on most other forums I've seen equate to finding a nifty case and just a bunch of silly things. For those who want the things on other phones that this phone technically can do but isn't allowed my advice is to look elsewhere.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ Tech
When you consider that when the included minutes are taken into account on sales, most people are paying $0
to $20 for the phone. For that price, what it does is actually phenominal. Don't expect a $20 phone to comes with
a $100+ super-fast processor.

@ NGNM85
I have around 400 songs, and it only takes a few seconds to index them. If you have five time that many, you still
should be way less than a minute. Does your phone have anything else going on, like Wifi and/or Bluetooth vying
for processor time? Or are you viewing pictures while indexing is going on?

Also, how do you have your music organized? All mine are in a single folder. All my albulm artwork is embedded
in the music file. If you have multiple folders, that might be affecting your sort time.

ge0rge

I installed Google Maps from the zip file mentioned in post #785 ... It works well, although it really eats up
minutes when using 3G.

The only problem I have is that it won't update MyLocation.. (I assume it should only do this with 3G, since it
needs the signals from the towers)... I couldn't find any options or controls that would manually command an
update, so I assume it should be automatic. Does anybody know whether it will or should update MyLocation
on this particular phone?

Thanks

geo

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ ge0rge
Cost me 11 minutes to research your question on 3G (0 minutes on WiFi). Please send me $0.88 :ermm:

My version of Google Maps does not have an option for MY LOCATION on the MENU.
And under the HELP menu, MY LOCATION (BETA) is listed as NOT AVAILABLE ON THIS DEVICE.

The reason for this is that the Java 2ME app on the phone doesn't have the capability to retrieve location
information from tower pings on its own (and there is no GPS receiver in the phone). Processing tower pings
would require an external service.

Evidently Google is not going to supply such service for now (or ever), and it probably isn't cost effective for a
third party to supply it. Such information would have to be provided by your carrier (TracFone is not a carrier),
and I doubt very much they would do it for free (except to the FBI or CIA).

On the otherhand, the phone might support connection to an external GPS antenna, but I don't know whether
our version of Google Maps would support this... If you want me to research this aspect, please send $250.
But I suspect our Java version of Google Maps won't support an external antenna.

ge0rge

DoctorM
April 16, 2013, 6:26 am
@ ge0rge
Cost me 11 minutes to research your question on 3G (0 minutes on WiFi). Please send me $0.88 :ermm:

My version of Google Maps does not have an option for MY LOCATION on the MENU.
And under the HELP menu, MY LOCATION (BETA) is listed as NOT AVAILABLE ON THIS DEVICE.

The reason for this is that the Java 2ME app on the phone doesn't have the capability to retrieve location
information from tower pings on its own (and there is no GPS receiver in the phone). Processing tower pings
would require an external service.

Evidently Google is not going to supply such service for now (or ever), and it probably isn't cost effective for a
third party to supply it. Such information would have to be provided by your carrier (TracFone is not a carrier),
and I doubt very much they would do it for free (except to the FBI or CIA).

On the otherhand, the phone might support connection to an external GPS antenna, but I don't know whether
our version of Google Maps would support this... If you want me to research this aspect, please send $250.
But I suspect our Java version of Google Maps won't support an external antenna.
Do you want the $0.88 by check or credit card? :blink:

There is a MyLocation shown, but it's stuck on someplace in Arkansas. No big deal. The maps and even directions
from spot to spot work fine... I put my home as a favorite, and if I'm traveling, I can enter a few cities as temporary
favorites. That will suffice.. For backpacking, I have a hand-held hiking GPS , so I'm set. Now, if I could only find my
car keys.......

efm0

in gold

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
efm0:

in gold
* What??? ..... I don't get it? ....."in gold" ? ..... I'm confused.. :huh:
* DoctorM, how many times have I told you to stop giving efm0 some of your homemade Texas moonshine! (LOL) ;)

* Just wanted to say that if anyone is interested, Tracfone.com is now selling reconditioned LG 840g's for $30.

> http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?action=view&market=GSM4

Turk B-)

Tarkio101

He is suggesting that the .88 cents be paid in gold, not by check or credit card. Now, who's got the moonshine issue?
Turk, do you have any ideas? lol

The 840g for $30 is an amazing deal though. It's easy to forget how cheap Tracfones actually are. So many smart
phones are 400 or 500 hundred bucks off contract. To get anything for less than 10% of that cost is almost unreal.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

;)

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
April 11, 2013, 10:14 pm
@ Tech
When you consider that when the included minutes are taken into account on sales, most people are paying $0
to $20 for the phone. For that price, what it does is actually phenominal. Don't expect a $20 phone to comes with
a $100+ super-fast processor.

Also, how do you have your music organized? All mine are in a single folder. All my album artwork is embedded
in the music file. If you have multiple folders, that might be affecting your sort time.
They make these processors for pennies on the dollar regardless of whether they go into an expensive phone or
a cheap one.

I also have all of my art embedded and all music in the one folder. It's just as slow with a thousand songs as it was
with 10. Still takes forever to load after each time you plug it in. And it's everything. Not just music. It's video, pictures,
every menu in the music player. Isn't wise to just be ok with something because it's "free". Gogle is free too. Yet it's a
billion dollar business based upon mining your data for marketing purposes as well as heavily influential regarding
various legislation such as CISPA. Basically this device is doing the same thing. Which is an entirely different subject.
The issue remains undiscussed though because generally speaking people are scientifically/technologically illiterate
and don't understand it. They just see the cheap price tag and say gimme.

I'd love to know what is going on the background to make this thing a brick during the data reading process.
A lot seems to be locked away and removed from scrutiny because of that usb lockdown.

Tech
Member Avatar

efm0
April 19, 2013, 11:04 pm
in gold
Well. At least you didn't say bitcoin... That's the biggest ponzi scheme going right now.

Tarkio101

Tech

Isn't wise to just be ok with something because it's "free". Gogle is free too. Yet it's a billion dollar business based
upon mining your data for marketing purposes.
If a phone is free, I'm perfectly ok with it being slow. Google is free too, and I use it because I would not want to pay
a fee every time I do a search.. In order to do that, I would probably have to have a credit card registered and every
time I hit enter it would charge me to look up some information. I'll take the free one.

Jon

Hi

I have question on Tracfone and mobile coupons.

Lately I see a lot of retailers having mobile coupons and wonder if this Tracfone (LG 840g) is capable of
receiving coupons via sms or only for smartphone?

Also, I forward my Tracfone number to google voice number, so would I be able to receive coupons if the
number I set up is google voice number or have to be the original Tracfone number?

Hope I make sense on the question..... Thanks.

jon

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ Jon
If it is a jpeg (.jpg) image, which most of them that I have seen are, then it can be received and displayed.

Somebody else might chime in about the telephone number, but I would suppose it would be the TracFone's
own number -- which would cost you minutes... It would be free if you could view them by WiFi instead.

lutgen

I just spent a long time reading this forum. Great information. I kept reading that there is a way to use the
qwerty keyboard in the contacts area. What I cannot find is how to do that. I can get the qwerty keyboard
in a text, or in the browser, but not entering contacts.

That is the one thing that frustrates my daughter about her phone. She was so excited to move from the LG
800g to the LG 840g.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ lutgen
Yes, there is -- here's how:
CONTACTS > ADD NEW > (choose a blank to fill in) > OPTIONS (list icon in upper righthand corner) > INPUT
METHOD > KEYBOARD > (the qwerty keyboard displays)

Unfortunately, it appears you have to do this every time.

Urge

There is a new version (v.9.0) of the UC browser posted on Wap Review.

Urge

MerlinTM
Member Avatar

For those who are still having difficulties establishing a Wi-Fi connection with their LG 840G... what the poorly
written Tracfone manual doesn't mention is that there is a very important step to set up a proper connection with
your wireless router.

After you have activated Wi-Fi on your LG 840G, you must then determine the SSID (Service Set Identifier) name of
your wireless local area network, which can usually be found in your client network settings, depending on which
internet service provider you have.. The SSID is a sequence of alphanumeric characters (letters or numbers) with
a maximum length of 32 characters.

Tracfone gives you the impression that once you activate Wi-Fi on your phone, it will search all available networks
and *your* network name will appear among the choices for you to select from, which was not true in my router's
case. I had to manually add the SSID name first, before I could input the security key (WEP, WPA or WPA2) for my
network.

Once your network name and security key code have been saved, you should be able to log online automatically
via your wireless router and browse most sites without using any minutes.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ TechSavvy
Good info! What wireless equipment/provider do you use? That might help others with the same system/provider.

My wireless/internet provider is AT&T (including equipment), which is part of my Uverse system. I haven't heard
anyone with AT&T as the wireless/internet provider reporting a problem hooking up to the LG 840G or having to
input the SSID -- just the gateway key (as the password).

tfuser19

@ TechSavvy,
Routers are typically configured to broadcast the SSID - so I've never had to manually enter the SSID for a default
configured router.

An advanced setting can be made to disable that and it sounds like your router is set to disable broadcasting the
SSID. In this case, one must know and enter the SSID manually (as well as password, etc) to connect to the router.

If you live in a populated area, you should be seeing your neighbors SSIDs if you go to the wireless settings screen
on your phone or PC. You would not need to enter the SSIDs listed to connect to those routers - just their password,
type, etc.

I think it's a bit much to expect the manual to cover the exceptional hidden SSID case. If someone disables the router
SSID broadcasting, then they should be prepared to deal with the associated pains that result from doing that.

Tech
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Works....

Urge

Tech, Where did you get that cover?

Urge

Tech
Member Avatar

Urge
May 5, 2013, 5:11 pm
Tech, Where did you get that cover?

Urge

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-BLACK-RUGGED-DYNAMIC-HYBRID-CASE-COVER-LG-840G

This one is good in the fact that it is a silicon case inside of a hard shell case much like iPhone cases.

The one I posted comes in an assortment of colors.
I almost got the black and white or the white and black but went with straight black.

Here's another link to an assortment of different ones.. Or, you can just search ebay for the cases for this device
and several sellers come up with different varieties. Some sellers are even throwing in a car charger and screen
protector so check different sellers.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=lg+tracfone+cases&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

I've seen the same old junk "skins" from spain and the other seller pushed all over various forums by the same
posters I think and none of them worked.

Also, I had shared this link some many pages ago here.
There are 4 different kinds of screen protectors for it from this dealer:
LG 840G Ultra-Clear Screen Protector
LG 840G Anti-Glare Screen Protector
LG 840G 4 Way Privacy Screen Protector
LG 840G Mirror Screen Protector

http://www.clarivue.com/LG-840G_c_2289.html

I still say the trinket is utterly and complete junk but if one must have it then these are nice accessories.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

Amazon has those same cases and their prices are a bit better, I was wondering if they were any good.
They also have some good silicone ones... but steer clear of the TPU ones, most reviews aren't that great and the
one I got almost pulled my screen protector off. Amazon also has some pretty good deals on screen protectors too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_3?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Alg+840g+case&page

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Phoenix1 is correct. You can buy LG 840g cases identical to what Tech has on Amazon. They are available from
individual sellers, and the cases come in a wide array of two-tone colors.

In addition, I purchased a Silicon Jelly Skin by HR Wireless on Amazon that was made specifically for the LG 840g.
I got a black one, but it does come in a variety of colors, too... It took a week for the skin to arrive, as the seller is on
one coast, and I am on the other. But, I was very impressed with the quality of the skin. In my opinion, it is well made;
it fits the LG 840g like a glove; and the cut-outs for the camera lens, the charger, the microphone, and the earphones
line up perfectly... The volume rocker and the on/off switch are covered, but you can see precisely where they are
located on the silicon molding.

In any case, if anyone is interested, here is a link to the skin which I bought. I can’t recommend one seller over another.
I can only say that I ordered mine through Tommy’s Great Store, and I had good service:

http://www.amazon.com/Tracfone-LG-840G-LG840G-Silicone/dp/B00BSHOLUE/ref=sr_1_1?

ShadowDancer :)

Tech
Member Avatar

ShadowDancer
May 7, 2013, 12:39 am
Phoenix1 is correct. They are available from individual sellers, and the cases come in a wide array of two-tone colors.

Had I thought about it more I would have bought two of them. One with a black outer shell and white rubber inside
and one with a white hard shell and black inside rubber. That way, you could have a solid white case, and a solid
black case if you wanted as well as the black on white and white on black. Essentially 4 different memes.

Oh well. Live and learn, I suppose... Good thing cases aren't high on my list of relevance.

Tech
Member Avatar

If anyone buys the white LG 840g, can they post the hardware and software version here, please?
I see that there is an extra thingamabob up in the right hand corner of the face on this white one and the
case that I shared previously has a cutout to conform to this... Something has changed obviously unless
that's the motion thing Doc mentioned several pages early on in the thread... Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-White-LG-840G-1350-Minutes-and-Triple-Minutes-Life-Tracfone
Posted Image

Tarkio101

It's the same as the black, just more visible on the white. There are 2 circles inside the oval shape. It's the sensor
to turn the screen on and off. You can see it on the black model if you look at it closely... Maybe take a flashlight,
but it's there.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Oooo - a white faced (and white back) LG 840G -- for a $99 eBay (w 1350 minutes) deal that matches HSN.

By the way, the HSN $99 black-face deal with 1400 minutes is back on (http://www.hsn.com/products/lg-840-no-contract-smartphone-tracfone-service/7058877)

My wife's been eying my blackface w red back. I'll bet she might really go for the white face w white back.

EDIT
Just reviewed the offerings on Amazon, eBay, HSN, & TracFone -- listed in order of the best deal

eBay - The white-face is apparently only available on eBay (ShopCellPhone). It comes in three offerings, with no extras on any of the offerings:
- no minutes included - $43
- 90-day 600 minutes included - $65. The card is a 90-day 200 minute card for $40 on TracFone, so the phone itself ie $25 .
- 90-day 1350 minutes include - $100. The card is a 90-day 450 minute card for $80 on TracFone, so the the phone itself is $20.
If white is your color, then you will pay a $20+ premium over the best deal (HSN) on a black face.

HSN - The white face is not available, but the standard black face is on sale at $99. The included minutes (1400) is a 1-year 400 minutes card + 200 bonus minutes, priced on TracFone at $99. Included free are a car charger, earphones, and one colored back (choice of seven different designs). So the price of the phone itself is $0 ($99 - $99 = $0). This is the best deal if black is your color.

Amazon - white-face apparently not available
- black-face only (same ShopCellPhone vendor as eBay deal), with no included minutes, is $40.
- black-face only With 1200 included minutes - $115. Included minutes is a 1-year 400 minute card priced on TracFone at $99 -- making the phone itself $16.

TracFone - white-face apparently not available. Black-face listed as out-of-stock. Price of phone is $50.

Tech
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
May 8, 2013, 8:23 pm
It's the same as the black, just more visible on the white. There are 2 circles inside the oval shape. It's the sensor
to turn the screen on and off. You can see it on the black model if you look at it closely... Maybe take a flashlight,
but it's there.
I figgered that's what it was... Thanks for clarification.
I'd still be curious about the hardware and software versions on the newest ones.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

DoctorM wrote:

eBay - The white-face is apparantly only available on eBay (ShopCellPhone). It comes in three offerings, with no extras on any of the offerings:

Amazon - white-face apparantly not available
- black-face only (same ShopCellPhone vendor as eBay deal), with no included minutes, is $40.

---------------------------

So as to not cause any confusion to Forum readers, I believe that the eBay/Amazon vendor to whom Doctor M is
referring to in his post is ShopCellDeals and not ShopCellPhone.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ ShadowDancer
You are correct -- ShopCellDeals

@ Tech
My wife wants/likes it so I ordered one for her for Mother's Day. Should be here Monday or Tuesday.
I'll post any version changes.

Tarkio101

This may be out of place here, but a new Nokia was announced to today that is remarkably similar to this phone.
It should be available in June I believe and costs $100. May not be released for the US but will be readily available
online/Amazon/ebay etc. It would be able to use as an unlocked phone on Net10 or Straight Talk, or other carriers.

I am mainly pointing this out here because of the size. So many touchscreens are well over 4 inches now, a smaller
screen is a niche. And perhaps some here like this phone particularly because of the moderate size.

The new phone is Nokia Asha 501. And instead of Java "apps," the Nokia comes with a more complete app store type
of system with lots and lots of apps made for the Nokia s40 operating system... If you google it, you can find abundant
info on it, for those who may be interested.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

No shortage of choices on skins and cover for the LG 840G anymore. There are literally hundreds of choices on Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-aliasDmobile-keywords=lg+840g+skins+and+covers)

Here are just a small sampling - including soft gels, hard skins, and dual hard skins with soft interiors.

Posted Image

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
May 9, 2013, 4:18 pm [b
@ Tech
My wife wants/likes it so I ordered one for her for Mother's Day. Should be here Monday or Tuesday.
Thanks, Doc.

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
May 10, 2013, 3:56 am
No shortage of choices on skins and cover for the LG 840G anymore.
There are literally hundreds of choices on Amazon.com...
(http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-aliasDmobile&field=lg+840g+skins+and+covers)

Here are just a small sampling - including soft gels, hard skins, and dual hard skins with soft interiors"

Posted Image
I highly recommend the one that I posted. It's the same as those two in the bottom row in this picture you share, Doc,
except a different color. It adds almost a half inch total width, a half inch total height and a quarter inch thickness to
the device... Also adds significant weight. Not too much, but just the right amount to feel like you're actually holding
something. It feels great in the hand during calls too by making use of the entire hand instead of the three finger thing.

Also, you could get a black on white and a white on black and then turn them into two solid cases. A solid white one
and a solid black one just by trading inserts and shells (hard outer shell is also rubberized as well so that it doesn't
slip around on a surface/hand).

Feels really great in the hand. Perfectly balanced. All of the holes line up perfectly and the rubberized power button
is awesome.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Tech
May 10, 2013, 12:17 pm
DoctorM
@ Tech
Thanks, Doc.
The new white-face/back phone is Hardware version 1.0 and software version V10.b - same as the black-face -- no changes.

Tech
Member Avatar

DoctorM
May 11, 2013, 5:37 pm
Tech
May 10, 2013, 12:17 pm
DoctorM
@ Tech
Thanks, Doc.
The new white-face/back phone is Hardware version 1.0 and software version V10.b - same as the black-face -- no changes.
Thanks, Doc. Is good to know.

Aside... I bought a pair of these at Rite-Aid today for $9.99. They sound superb. I picked up a circular while I was in
the store only to read it when I got home to see that tomorrow they'll be on sale for 25% off making the total price $7.49.

These sound really, really good with the LG 840g.

Skull Candy Earphones * Spoke series – Features noise isolation, in-ear acoustics as well as changeable gels for
a comfy fit * 10 mm car owner * 30mW maximum input energy * 3.5 mm gold coated plug type * Thirty-two ohms
impedance * 20 to 20,000 Hertz frequency range * NdFeB magnetic type * Black and White.

http://www.amazon.com/X2SPCZ816-Spoke-White-Catalog-Category/dp/B0045N9WAM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_6

Posted Image

phoenix1
Member Avatar

Of course, you guys all know that since they're finally getting the cool stuff out for the 840g, Tracfone will probably
come out with a new phone we'll all want.. Posted Image

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ phoenix1
That's what kids are for - to give the hand-me-downs, so we don't feel guilty about "upgrading."

rich_l

What's a good flashlight/candlelight app for the LG 840g?

phoenix1
Member Avatar

DoctorM
May 12, 2013, 3:56 pm
@ phoenix1
That's what kids are for - to give the hand-me-downs, so we don't feel guilty about "upgrading."
LOL, it's the other way around, my kids have the better stuff...

DoctorM
Member Avatar

rich_l
May 12, 2013, 4:39 pm
What's a good flashlight/candlelight app for the LG 840g?
Pocket lamp works ok... You do realize that's just a white screen?

You could make one yourself (a white jpg "picture") and put in your shortcuts screen.

nkroes

I just bought and activated my LG 840G (Tracfone) so I can use it for email and Facebook while traveling. I run
a vintage travel trailer organization and need to keep in communication when out and about. I set up my email
account on it and it will send messages but tells me it is invalid to receive them. I cannot find where/how to get
back into the screens that let me set up my email in the first place, although it has to be correct, as I can send
and the messages are coming from my correct email.

Secondly, I can get into Facebook, but all I see is my friends postings, I cannot seem to get to my groups, which
is what I need to see. And, when I am in Facebook, I cannot seem to find a way to access the keyboard and have
to enter everything using the cell phone abc def ghi method which is not cool. Has anyone figured this stuff out?

Urge

Check out this link...

http://www.forums.com/showthread.php/1786362-LG840G-email-Push-setting-with-email-icon-button

Urge

Tech
Member Avatar

ge0rge
April 1, 2013, 1:49 pm
I did a search for LG 840G BROWSER and found a Firefox browser that supposedly works. I installed it, and the
Firefox logo came up when I ran it. It looked valid. But when I tried to navigate to any web site, I was always re-
directed to something I didn't expect. I suggest staying away from this "browser". The web site where I found it is:

http://lg-840g.java-mobiles.net/tag/internet-communications/firefox-browser-get-217274.html
Need to start pinpointing these minions and prosecute them. I went to getjar on the LG 840g and downloaded
something that totally wasn't what it said that it was and proceeded to link my browser to sites that are questionable
immediately upon opening the fraudulent app... To me this is a cyber security threat... Need to hold someone
accountable for allowing it and placing customers in jeopardy of the tomfoolery. Is getting quite old.

And it never fails. Every time I've been fooled by these minions, my cell phone starts ringing with people on the other
end of the line whom I don't know telling me I took some online survey or something and commence to phishing for
information. I never ever practice online polls or anything like that and the only people who have my cell number are
family members. I think it comes from the authors of these apps that we're tricked into downloading that we are told is
something that it is not.

Maybe start contacting state representatives or something. I know I will be. Can't really prove it but the practice itself
remaining allowable without any oversight like Apple store and google play is just asking for these kinds of things to
happen. If an app says it is what it is and does what it does then it ought to do just that. Not the opposite.

Tech
Member Avatar

Sprocketman
December 2, 2012, 10:12 pm
If anybody knows how, I also want to get crisp black letters on the home screens like the ones on the Main Menu
screens. (the screens accessed with the four dots key on the lower right of the home screen). The Main Menu icons
don't have the clumsy double outline letters of the home screen, and are a lot easier to read. I have changed wall
paper, and tried setting it to no wallpaper, but no joy.
This is what I use for wallpaper... Works well for what you want to do.

http://www.berlinwallpaper.com/illusions/images/PaperIllusion/PL185604.jpg

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Tech
May 13, 2013, 8:38 pm
ge0rge
April 1, 2013, 1:49 pm

Need to start pinpointing these minions and prosecute them. I went to getjar on the LG 840g and downloaded
something that totally wasn't what it said that it was and proceeded to link my browser to sites that are questionable
immediately upon opening the fraudulent app... To me this is a cyber security threat... Need to hold someone
accountable for allowing it and placing customers in jeopardy of the tomfoolery. Is getting quite old.

And it never fails. Every time I've been fooled by these minions, my cell phone starts ringing with people on the other
end of the line whom I don't know telling me I took some online survey or something and commence to phishing for
information. I never ever practice online polls or anything like that and the only people who have my cell number are
family members. I think it comes from the authors of these apps that we're tricked into downloading that we are told is
something that it is not.

Maybe start contacting state representatives or something. I know I will be. Can't really prove it but the practice itself
remaining allowable without any oversight like Apple store and google play is just asking for these kinds of things to
happen. If an app says it is what it is and does what it does then it ought to do just that. Not the opposite.
This is an industry-wide problem -- which is compounded by people seeking "free" apps.

Apple solves it on their iphone/ipad/ipod with their very tight control over where you can source apps.

Google Android solves it with the Google Play Store for Android apps. Play Store actually checks your device to
see if the app you want to download is compatible with your device. But if you source an app from another sites,
especially "free" apps, you are likely to infect your device with malware hidden in a hacked app.

And Java does not solve it at all. There is no place that checks out Java apps for malware -- and java apps are
much easier to hack into.

But the biggest problen is those of us (yes, I do it too) downloading "free apps" -- There is nothing really "free" in
this world.

So, all that said, all hope is not lost. I have found one private source that has not only checked out all the apps he
offers, but has modified them to work well with the LG 840G by getting rid of the app keyboard and modifying the
screen size to 240x320.

The source is given in my post #1084, 1089, 1090 on page 11 of this topic. So far, he has over 80 apps to download
for one small price. While I have downloaded all of them to my PC, I haven't installed all of them, but all that I have
installed work well.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Tech
May 13, 2013, 10:17 pm
Sprocketman
December 2, 2012, 10:12 pm
If anybody knows how, I also want to get crisp black letters on the home screens like the ones on the Main Menu
screens. (the screens accessed with the four dots key on the lower right of the home screen). The Main Menu icons
don't have the clumsy double outline letters of the home screen, and are a lot easier to read. I have changed wall
paper, and tried setting it to no wallpaper, but no joy.
This is what I use for wallpaper... Works well for what you want to do.

http://www.berlinwallpaper.com/illusions/images/PaperIllusion/PL185604.jpg
Four Home screens ???
My LG only has three home screens (Contacts, Widget, and Shortcuts) and the Menu [::] also only has three screens.

The short cut screen only holds nine shortcut icons, and doesn't extend.
The contacts screen scrolls.
The widget screen scrolls.

janlafata

Hello, It's been awhile...

First, I upgraded my TracFone flip phone to the LG 840G. It was more than worth the upgrade.
However, I'm right back where I was before as far as how much of everything I am going to grasp and what features
I will use. My whole goal when I first got into Tracfone was basically just to have a phone in the car for emergencies
and to some degree that's still my basic intention, however this phone does have all kinds of goodies on it and over
a period of time I want to see just how much I can learn. It also has long distance which is a big plus.

Also, I know how to setup BlueTooth now. Something I learned from my previous phone. I really doubt that I will ever
get into text messaging, but even if I do it would way down the road. I won't bother you here with a lot of babble. I just
now found the complete users guide on the web and I've got to go over that very carefully first. However just like the
last phone, I'm wondering what other kind of alternate browsers I can use other than the default. I was able to install
Opera 7.1 mobile, but my learning curve is going to be deep with that...
Is there anything simpler? Is there like a Windows Mobile for TracFone's and if so so I imagine it's not free.

Basically I just want to be able to go to a site like like CNN or USA Today to check some news once and a while and
that's about it. Maybe email too later on, but I do have one quick question... Say I want the default or Opera browser
to automatically open with the USA Today start page. How do I set that up. I ask that cause' right now I'm a complete
nerd as far as navigating around both browsers, and the Opera Browser stumps me even more because it has all
these arrows at the bottom of the screen, which cuts off my view.

Like I said though, I know I need to start going over the user manual before I ask too many more questions, so for
now just enlighten me with what you think I will comprehend at this point... Thank You.
PM Online Member Profile

The Dord

I got one of those skins from Amazon and a data cable.

This phone is pretty good for the price and this is my 1st touchscreen phone.

Thank god I'm not on 2g anymore and I've future-proofed myself a bit since I've gone to 3g.

Thanks annepani, DoctorM, Turk, and everyone else for the information and website! :)

DoctorM
Member Avatar

janlafata
May 15, 2013, 5:15 pm
Hello, It's been awhile...

First, I upgraded my TracFone flip phone to the LG 840G. It was more than worth the upgrade.
However, I'm right back where I was before as far as how much of everything I am going to grasp and what features
I will use. My whole goal when I first got into Tracfone was basically just to have a phone in the car for emergencies
and to some degree that's still my basic intention, however this phone does have all kinds of goodies on it and over
a period of time I want to see just how much I can learn. It also has long distance which is a big plus.

Also, I know how to setup BlueTooth now. Something I learned from my previous phone. I really doubt that I will ever
get into text messaging, but even if I do it would way down the road. I won't bother you here with a lot of babble. I just
now found the complete users guide on the web and I've got to go over that very carefully first. However just like the
last phone, I'm wondering what other kind of alternate browsers I can use other than the default. I was able to install
Opera 7.1 mobile, but my learning curve is going to be deep with that...
Is there anything simpler? Is there like a Windows Mobile for TracFone's and if so so I imagine it's not free.

Basically I just want to be able to go to a site like like CNN or USA Today to check some news once and a while and
that's about it. Maybe email too later on, but I do have one quick question... Say I want the default or Opera browser
to automatically open with the USA Today start page. How do I set that up. I ask that cause' right now I'm a complete
nerd as far as navigating around both browsers, and the Opera Browser stumps me even more because it has all
these arrows at the bottom of the screen, which cuts off my view.

Like I said though, I know I need to start going over the user manual before I ask too many more questions, so for
now just enlighten me with what you think I will comprehend at this point... Thank You.
PM Online Member Profile
You would probably get the most good from this forum by starting back on Page 1 of the LG 840G forum and
reading forward. I think we have addressed most of the issues people have run into on the LG 840G.

The LG 840G also has a decent manual, easy-to-read, so I suggest you read it. :P (This wasn't the case with its
predecessor, the LG 800G, which didn't have much of a manual, and we had to figure out all of its capabilities.)

And Tracfone's on-line tutorial is also pretty good...
http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?custId=TFLG840G&locale=en_US

As far as a windows "mobile" there isn't one that I know of, though if there is a particular interface (such as
transferring files from/to your PC, and which file types are compatible) you can ask here for those not covered in
the manual or on-line tutorial.

JJC

1. There is no way of putting a file or custom folder on the shortcut homescreen? ... I want an easier way of
accessing my grocery list. Now I have to go to file manager/external memory/other files. That is three clicks.

2. Is there a hack to allow Notepad to remember the QWERTY setting? ... It enters T9 mode every time.
Unless there is a superior notepad app to the default?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ JJC
If you use the built-in Notepad widget for your grocecery list, you can put it on the Widget home screen.
Then it is just tap the widget and your grocery list pops up.

But none of the apps you add can be put any of the three home screens, nor can added apps be put on the
three menu [::] screens, which are for built-in apps only.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

If anyone is still looking for the white version of the LG 840g, Amazon now has them for sale.

Right now they're selling for $41.99 from shopcelldeals.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Prepaid-Triple-Minutes-Tracfone/dp/keywords=lg+840g+white

Doc, did your wife like hers?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

@ phoenix1
Yes, my wife loves hers -- because (she says) it looks like an iphone. :D

The Dord

Btw, the data cord I mentioned earlier works well (plus it charges the phone)! ... I recommend it.

Tech
Member Avatar

Update on load times for the LG 840g upon turning the device on and after a charge/data transfer using
cable now that the 32gb card is half full...

File manager load time : 4-5 minutes

Music player...
Album: 4 minutes
Artist 2 minutes
All songs: 4 minutes

Pictures app: 7 minutes
Video" 5 minutes...unless you go through the 4-5 minutes via the file manager first.
If you click video app after doing that then it loads on demand.

This sequence happens upon every charge or transfer of data via cable as well as every time you power it on.

Now that I'm comfortable that I have a thorough grasp on all of the aspects as well as +/- of this trinket, I may
do a thorough review of the device via youtube. Something that has yet to be done.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

DoctorM
May 20, 2013, 5:55 am
@ phoenix1
Yes, my wife loves hers -- because (she says) it looks like an iphone. :D
Glad she likes it...wouldn't have been just as easy to get a white cover for the other one. lol

They're selling it for $39.99 at Amazon now. :)

srand1

Hello everyone! I'm new on here and was wondering if anyone is having a problem with the backlight timer?
No matter what the setting is, the display backlight times-out at 15 seconds. I have three of these LG 840G's
and 2 of them have this problem. They were all purchased together so I suspect that this is a firmware problem.
Any thoughts? ... I spent over an hour with tech service and the result was there was no fix for this...

Tech
Member Avatar

srand1
May 22, 2013, 3:07 pm
Hello everyone! I'm new on here and was wondering if anyone is having a problem with the backlight timer?
No matter what the setting is, the display backlight times-out at 15 seconds. I have three of these LG 840G's
and 2 of them have this problem. They were all purchased together so I suspect that this is a firmware problem.
Any thoughts? ... I spent over an hour with tech service and the result was there was no fix for this...
You probably have auto-lock set. I believe there is a 15 second setting there. Backlight timer is something
different and the auto-lock will override the backlight setting.

Go to settings/phone/auto screen lock.....make selection. Settings are after 5 sec, after 15, after 30, 45 sec
and 1 minute.. I keep my auto-lock set to off.. It's not like you need an actual code to unlock the thing anyhow.

Backlight display is something different and is a matter of personal choice. How long you want the thing to
display between actions. I keep that set at 45 seconds but keep in mind battery life.

Edit... there is actually a quick way to lock the device to require a passcode if you like. What you have to do is add
the padlock icon to the app screen.. This is done by tapping the sprocket down in the right hand corner then "add"
(assuming you have room since the screen only holds 9 icons) then go to settings/phone/security and tap the + icon.
This will add the padlock. From there whenever you want to lock it quickly just tap the padlock icon/phone lock/phone
lock now. Inout code and then it locks. You'll need to enter the same code to unlock it.

Now here's the thing, and it's a very, very poor design. When it's locked, you have two tabs that you can tap to
activate right next to each other. One is to unlock the thing and the other is labeled "Emergency" which means
if you accidentally tap it then it calls 911. Is the dumbest thing.

phoenix1
Member Avatar

HSN has now jumped on the white LG 840g bandwagon.

They have them listed for $129.95 with the usual extras - 1400 minutes and your choice of back cover colors, etc.

http://www.hsn.com/products/lg-840-no-contract-smartphone-tracfone-service/7187617

The white ones must be catching on, they're showing up everywhere now. B-)

MKOLLERSMS

Alright, so I am new to the forums. Pleasure to meet all of you; I've been lurking a few weeks now. I have had the LG840g since about the end of March, and I love it. As well, I've figured out some things on it that might be useful.

First things first, this is the tutorial I used to remove the Virtual JAVA Keypad. It has worked on every app so far. Save the info in a text file on your desktop and you'll always have it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRYPUiB82sc

Second, for the Album Art, I have figured out how to easily get it through iTunes. Highlight all of your songs, right click and Convert ID3 tags. Change them all to v2.3, because v2.4 does NOT seem to work with the phone. You can then drag and drop the songs from iTunes straight into the phone. All info AND album art is attached. Note: I use iTunes 10, but it should be the same in iTunes 11.

Third, for text files, there appears to be a character limit, so splitting the text of one large file into multiple smaller files is my solution. All of the textfiles that have been 10kb or less seem to have no problems, and that's still quite a bit of text. Additionally, the formats supported are ANSI, Unicode and DOS. If it gives you a format not supported error, open the text file in WordPad and change the encoding. I made a folder on my microSD card specifically for text files and named it "Documents." Easy to navigate to with File Manager.

Fourth, custom ringtones MUST be less than 300KB. The longest ringtone I have been able to make (Using Audacity and WavePad) is 37 seconds. It must be MP3 or WAV (if I recall OGG Vorbis does not work with this phone but I may be mistaken). As childish as it is, I use an 8-bit version of the Pokemon season 1 theme.

The sliders that are accessible from the home screen dropdown (Bluetooth, Alarm and Wi-Fi) are good for turning these features OFF, but not so much for turning them on. I would still click each feature and let the phone redirect to their settings menus to ensure the settings work properly. For example, instead of clicking the slider to turn Wi-Fi on, use the dropdown to access the Wi-Fi menu and then use the slider that's in the Wi-Fi main screen.

I almost never use the QWERTY keyboard on this phone because I am thrice as fast using the 1-9 keyboard. If you remove the virtual JAVA keypad from Opera, and then disable the Opera keypad, it will default to the phone's 1-9 keyboard. Also, Opera saves account credentials better than the standard browser, so if you're not worried about people getting into your phone (nobody besides me is allowed to touch mine) then it's not an issue.

I live in an area with terrible GSM coverage, so let me explain messaging. Messages send instantaneously (usually) if you have even one bar of 3G. With EDGE (E) it takes upwards of ten seconds. If the send does fail, you will see an X'd out envelope in your Outbox. Click that message and hit Resend. Note: It will cost another .3 units; this is the same with all Tracfones I have owned in the past seven years.

I strongly recommend you do NOT use the SNS apps with a 3G connection. I've had them use 5-15 units each session. Meanwhile with Opera I've used less than 1.8 units each session. SNS is damn near perfect on Wi-Fi however.

That's all I can think of for now. Now, what I would like to know and if anyone can figure these things out:

- How to access Service mode on the phone. I would like to see if it's possible to reconfigure the OS to remove the Contacts Screen, the Email Client, and all of the Ringtones that came with the phone.

Many thanks, and let me know if I can help with anything. If I need to remove something from this post, let me know and I'll list the post numbers that better serve as reference.

- Maddy

Edits:

Quote:

these arrows at the bottom of the screen, which cuts off my view. - janlafata
You'll have to find the JAR file for Opera Mini 7.1 using your PC, edit it using the video I linked to at the top of my post, drag and drop the updated JAR onto a microSD card and install it on your phone that way. But it does work. Posted Image

Additionally, Opera Mini does default to the Start Page, or to a blank tab (depending on settings). My advice is to bookmark the mobile version of USAToday's website. Opera does do bookmarking pretty well.

------

And Tech, the information thing is an interesting point that I see you talk about consistently. As someone who's spent time in analytics and data collection (I'm a GIS/Natural Sciences Major), I can tell you that it's not people being ignorant of what's happening around them. On the contrary, it's people wanting this very thing to happen. I let Wolfram connect to and access all of my Facebook data because I wanted to see what content I utilized most often. I let a variety of apps access my Twitter because I want to track my visibility; if that means dealing with spammers every so often then so be it. And since I use Gmail, Chrome and Google Docs, the parent company pretty much sees everything I do. But besides AdSense, I haven't seen anything to raise an eyebrow with. And I am totally OK with phones being trackable in places like department stores because the databases only track specific data fields, and 99 times out of 100 it's not what people think it is, because a person's most personal data is useless for marketing purposes.

If there is something that I don't want to be seen (pornography, password protected accounts on other computers, etc.) then there's always Incognito and InPrivate Filtering, which disables most tracking data. If I need to get more secure than that I'll use an alt account. People are generally smart enough to do things like this; those that aren't need to take a computer course, I guess. But overall, I don't have anything to hide. I guess it comes from the fact that my generation is so interconnected anyway (the age of remote desktop access for gaming servers, distributed computing and other such activities). Right now I have anonymous servers accessing my computer to leech off my CPU. I don't exactly know who they are, but I have something to gain from their doing this. So I let them do it. It's that simple.

Quote:

BUILT-IN BROWSER:
- Won’t play the radar loop on Accuweather
- Won’t allow check box to agree to terms on Starbucks’ wifi. (But at least it does show the page, if that’s worth anything.)
- Fox News and CNN videos didn’t seem to come up at all

OPERA MINI:
- Won’t play the radar loop on Accuweather, at least not very smoothly. And the resolution of the picture seems worse than the other two browsers.
- Shows CNN video first frame but won’t play. Message: “Sorry, this video cannot be played on your handset”
- Has full-screen view, but doesn’t hide the clock, battery charge indicator, etc. And it takes a few taps to switch views.

- ge0rge
Built-in browser can access the checkbox for Starbucks Wi-Fi. It does take some doing, though; you have to fiddle with the zoom settings, refresh a few times and scroll down until you find it. Once you've done that you can close out the browser and run any other you want. Radar loop must be some type of GIF; it's possible that the browsers just can't handle GIFs well. And of course, using the browsers to run FLVs is almost a complete nogo.

As for Opera, you would need to find a way to code the installer to remove the status bar, the same way you would code it to remove the virtual keypad. This means we need to find a working text string that will do it.

4 users reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Members: Tarkio101
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.